Wimbledon 2023 In-Game

Kinda scary is all it takes is an attempted murder to really remove someone from potential GOAT discussions. I digress, it's a woulda/coulda discussion anyway, not like we'll ever know what could have been.

Last 12 hours have involved very little sleep and trying to put finger on the pulse of this women's event in AUS/NZ starting this week. Just another sport I have no clue what I'm doing with but since it's completely televised, will try to have an opinion

Something important is being missed with regards to Seles.

(1) After she returned from her injury, she made 3 Slam finals out of her first 5 Slams back (won 1, lost 2). The injury she suffered didn't debilitate her physical competency as a tennis player. Of those first 5 Slams back, she lost in the 2R at Wimby. In the other 4, she made the QF stage at least in all of them.

(2) Neither before or after the injury did she ever do anything at Wimbledon bar making 1 final (Graf thrashed her 6-1 6-2 in that). In 8 other wimby appearances she never made it past the QF stage.

(3) Graf owned Wimbledon throughout her career: 9 finals, won 7.

Seles never adapted to grass, she was a baseliner and the faster surface back then found out her game. Whether Seles is hurt or not, she doesn't make a dent in Graf's success on grass. That still makes Graf one of the best ever.

It's like Federer at the French trying to deny Nadal. If Federer got hurt the way Seles did, it doesn't make a jot of difference to Nadal's clay court success.
No doubt Graf >> Seles on grass but that doesn't mean Seles would never have won there. That's a ridiculous assumption. Considering she was 23 and had already made the final.

• Love
Reactions: KJ
No doubt Graf >> Seles on grass but that doesn't mean Seles would never have won there. That's a ridiculous assumption. Considering she was 23 and had already made the final.
You are, quite frankly, correct my whorse

Not like we'll ever have something to prove or disprove but that's my line of thinking

Some Seles losses at Wimbledon post-injury:

In 1996, in her 4th Slam appearance since returning from injury (having already made 2 Slam finals and won 1 of them), Seles was seeded 2nd only behind Graf, and lost in the 2R to unseeded Katarína Studeníková (7-5 5-7 6-4). The 'mighty' Studeníková then went on to beat an unseeded opponent in the 3rd round before losing 6-0 6-4 to an unseeded opponent in the 4R (that opponent ended up making the semi-finals). In short, Seles had a dream draw to at least make the semis (where she would've faced Sánchez Vicario), but could only manage a poor loss to not even someone who could be considered an average opponent (her highest ranking ever achieved was #31, she never made it past the 4R of any Slam, and her career w/l record was 75-85).

In 1997 Graf missed Wimbledon, so Seles was seeded 2nd. Her biggest opposition was Hingis (seeded 1st). How well did she do given such favourable circumstances for winning the title (remember, Hingis only ever made 1 Wimbledon final in her career, grass was her least favoured surface)? She lost in the 3R to unseeded Sandrine Testud in 3 sets after winning the 1st set 6-0. Testud made 11 appearances at Wimbledon during her career, and only ever managed 3 x 3R wins: this was one of them. Further, in 46 total Slam appearances in her career, Testud only ever made 2 QF (lost both). In other words, it was a poor loss to an at best average opponent.

In 1998, Seles was seeded 6th @Wimby and lost to an unseeded Natasha Zevreva in straight sets. This marked the only 1 of 4 Wimbledon QF that Zevreva ever won. Zevreva's best ever ranking was as high as #5, but that was achieved an entire a decade before this match took place (1989).

In 1999, Seles was seeded 4th and lost in straight sets (7-6 7-6) in the 3R to unseeded Mirjana Lucic. In 11 Wimbledon appearances during her career, that is the only 3R win Lucic ever managed. Further, in 45 total Slam appearance during her career, Lucic only ever won 3 x 3R matches. Lucic's highest ever ranking was #20, achieved almost 2 decades ahead of this match (2017). In short, this was another inexcusable loss to an average opponent.

All these horrible losses to unseeded players that prevented her from making then winning the final can be laid at the feet on an injury, while that same injury wasn't preventing her making 4 Slam finals and a further 4 Slam semi-finals on her more favoured Slam surfaces? That is, for me, the assumption that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
For my money the best era in tennis was the mid-70s thru late 80s. McEnroe, Conners, Borg, Wilander, Lendl, Edberg, Vilas, Becker......not only did we get compelling finals but the semis and quarters had must watch matches too, something this era has only had sporadically. Plus we had Chrissie vs Martina raging on the women's side.
I’m just a tad younger than you I think.
I think the Sampras Agassi Yevgeny(and others obviously) was great too though

Some Seles losses at Wimbledon post-injury:

In 1996, in her 4th Slam appearance since returning from injury (having already made 2 Slam finals and won 1 of them), Seles was seeded 2nd only behind Graf, and lost in the 2R to unseeded Katarína Studeníková (7-5 5-7 6-4). The 'mighty' Studeníková then went on to beat an unseeded opponent in the 3rd round before losing 6-0 6-4 to an unseeded opponent in the 4R (that opponent ended up making the semi-finals). In short, Seles had a dream draw to at least make the semis (where she would've faced Sánchez Vicario), but could only manage a poor loss to not even someone who could be considered an average opponent (her highest ranking ever achieved was #31, she never made it past the 4R of any Slam, and her career w/l record was 75-85).

In 1997 Graf missed Wimbledon, so Seles was seeded 2nd. Her biggest opposition was Hingis (seeded 1st). How well did she do given such favourable circumstances for winning the title (remember, Hingis only ever made 1 Wimbledon final in her career, grass was her least favoured surface)? She lost in the 3R to unseeded Sandrine Testud in 3 sets after winning the 1st set 6-0. Testud made 11 appearances at Wimbledon during her career, and only ever managed 3 x 3R wins: this was one of them. Further, in 46 total Slam appearances in her career, Testud only ever made 2 QF (lost both). In other words, it was a poor loss to an at best average opponent.

In 1998, Seles was seeded 6th @Wimby and lost to an unseeded Natasha Zevreva in straight sets. This marked the only 1 of 4 Wimbledon QF that Zevreva ever won. Zevreva's best ever ranking was as high as #5, but that was achieved an entire a decade before this match took place (1989).

In 1999, Seles was seeded 4th and lost in straight sets (7-6 7-6) in the 3R to unseeded Mirjana Lucic. In 11 Wimbledon appearances during her career, that is the only 3R win Lucic ever managed. Further, in 45 total Slam appearance during her career, Lucic only ever won 3 x 3R matches. Lucic's highest ever ranking was #20, achieved almost 2 decades ahead of this match (2017). In short, this was another inexcusable loss to an average opponent.

All these horrible losses to unseeded players that prevented her from making then winning the final can be laid at the feet on an injury, while that same injury wasn't preventing her making 4 Slam finals and a further 4 Slam semi-finals on her more favoured Slam surfaces? That is, for me, the assumption that's ridiculous.
Her post-murder attempt matches at Wimbledon or anywhere else for that matter seem largely irrelevant when judging her career. Id be more interested in '93 -'95 while she was dominating everywhere else. She simply wasnt the same player post-murder attempt on any of the surfaces; she won one major post after winning 5 of 6 just prior. Figuring out grass after almost being murdered prolly didnt have the same appeal prior to the incident. At the end of the day, we'll never know but im in the camp that she had tremendous momentum and motivation at the time of the murder attempt and would have built off her finals loss at Wimby over the next 2-3 years

Back