Who will have the more succesful first 3 seasons?

Better first 3 seasons

• Jim "Michigan Man" Harbaugh

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Jimbo "It wasn't about the money" Fisher

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Alan Tongue

Pretty much a regular
Not a Michigan bashing post.

Who will have a better first 3 seasons - Jim Harbaugh or Jimbo Fisher? Both come in with previous success and much fanfare. Both come in with a better coach in their division. Neither came cheap. Both come in to programs that haven't met fans expectations in recent seasons.

Harbaugh's first 3 years at Michigan:

28-11 record
Two 3rd places and a 4th in their division
1-2 in Bowl games
5-10 vs AP ranked teams
0-3 vs Meyer (will Jimbo win at least one against Saban?)

Jimbo has to play an SEC West schedule, and has Clemson scheduled his first two seasons. He is at Georgia in 2019. A&M have only one 10 win season this century.

I think Harbaugh eventually coaches for a natty at Michigan. I don't think Jimbo makes it there with TAMU. First three years he could be better given how little Michigan has accomplished so far under Harbaugh.

I think Harbaugh eventually coaches for a natty at Michigan.

He's not building a roster that's reflective of such a lofty direction.

With that said I'd put Jimbo at somewhere around 0% chance of making it to a NC so I guess I'm looking at a tie here. I think Jimbo will be at A&M for awhile though and I don't see harbaugh staying forever so that could be an edge for Jimbo.

aTm is a sleeping giant. Problem is, it has been a sleeping giant for it's entire existence.

It has fanatical fans, probably the most loyal and committed alums in the country, and is right in the middle of the best recruiting area in the USA. It is also as rich as any school anywhere, and, because of the unusual tax benefits written into Texas law for both aTm and Texas, has almost unlimited funds.

On top of that, no one is more serious about football or considers it more important than the Aggies. They had been a military school throughout their history until Bear Bryant came and all students--there were only males at the time--dressed in military uniforms and lived like they were at West Point. It was the proudest tradition of the Aggies. But when Bear decided it was hurting recruiting and taking too much of the player's time the school trustees immediately made the military part voluntary.

And yet they always come up short. They have under performed almost every year in their existence. They claim national titles in 1919, 1927, and 1939, but there are questions about all of them. The first two were awarded retroactively. The third is legit to some extent because the AP listed them #1, but among the teams they beat that year were Santa Clara, Villanova, Tulane, and Centenary. And that was when they only played 10 games, some years 9, and the title was awarded before bowl games.

Despite all their under performing other schools have always feared what would happen if they ever got it together. Everyone has always known they were a sleeping giant.

So Jimbo has unlimited resources to work with, but because of the murderous conference schedule and the century-long failure of aTm I go with Michigan.

One other thing. I haven't been to the campus in years, but they always had the ugliest campus and the ugliest student body of any school in the country. Now that they admit females that last part may have changed.

You know better than I. I'm just not sold on Jim or Jimbo and thought I'd add some color.

I will play the new kids on the block Frost/Herman.

Jim Harbaugh is a megalomaniac. No time for that ego. I don't see Jimbo building, I can see him winning a few big ones but I dont think he brings culture change or anything.

You are the big winner Cub.

Back