Where Do You Stand On The Kapernick/Smith Deal?

Because I find it fun and fascinating that we have so many posters on here who know as much as they do. They know what coaches they don't know personally are thinking. That is intriguing to me.

so your question was rhetorical and deserved no discussion or response? i'm confused as to why u posed the question i guess.

good luck to San Fran the rest of the way, JH made his bed now we get to sit back and watch how it will all unfold......

so your question was rhetorical and deserved no discussion or response? i'm confused as to why u posed the question i guess.

Sure. Using your logic though this entire thread is pointless and deserves no responses, as only Jim Harbaugh can really answer the questions. Isn't this what we do, discuss sports? My only point in all of this is that no one on this site knows what's going through Harbaugh's head, and pretending that you do (not you personally KJ) is comical to me.

So Laureux give me another reason why Harbaugh makes this change other than thinking its his best chance of winning a Super Bowl. Your line of questioning is kinda absurd here man. It's plainly obvious to everyone what Harbaugh is thinking. It's only a question of if you agree with him or not.

I think he just knows what he has with Smith and knows that he is making the playoffs. CK is the future of the team at qb. He is just taking this opportunity to see if the future is now. Early returns would say "no". He is also well aware of how tough Smith is and what a good teammate Smith is ... don't be surprised if Smith is the guy the last two weeks to get him back in the swing of things prior to the playoffs. Was a great opportunity to not get Smith in too fast after concussion and get ck game experience with the upside of finding out if ck practice ball translates to nfl regular season games.

If he is going ck at this point in his career over smith then he is making a mistake. Smith was having one of the best years in the league prior to injury.

So Laureux give me another reason why Harbaugh makes this change other than thinking its his best chance of winning a Super Bowl. Your line of questioning is kinda absurd here man. It's plainly obvious to everyone what Harbaugh is thinking. It's only a question of if you agree with him or not.

I gave you the reason....he wants to be the smartest guy in the room at all times. This is one of those decisions that someone makes just because they can, and if and when it turns out (winning a SB), everyone can pat Jimmy boy on the back and tell him what a great idea and decision it was.

Give me one reason why the move wasn't made BEFORE Alex Smith got hurt, if Jim Harbaugh truly believes that he has a better chance to win SB this year with CK. I will agree that it's plainly obvious what Jim is thinking if I can get one good answer as to why the change wasn't made weeks before it was.

I think he just knows what he has with Smith and knows that he is making the playoffs. CK is the future of the team at qb. He is just taking this opportunity to see if the future is now. Early returns would say "no". He is also well aware of how tough Smith is and what a good teammate Smith is ... don't be surprised if Smith is the guy the last two weeks to get him back in the swing of things prior to the playoffs. Was a great opportunity to not get Smith in too fast after concussion and get ck game experience with the upside of finding out if ck practice ball translates to nfl regular season games.

If he is going ck at this point in his career over smith then he is making a mistake. Smith was having one of the best years in the league prior to injury.

I agree with this 100%. What happens when Smith comes back in before the end of the year and the playoffs? Does that mean that Harbaugh all of a sudden had a change of heart and doesn't think he can win SB this year with CK?

I gave you the reason....he wants to be the smartest guy in the room at all times. This is one of those decisions that someone makes just because they can, and if and when it turns out (winning a SB), everyone can pat Jimmy boy on the back and tell him what a great idea and decision it was.

Give me one reason why the move wasn't made BEFORE Alex Smith got hurt, if Jim Harbaugh truly believes that he has a better chance to win SB this year with CK. I will agree that it's plainly obvious what Jim is thinking if I can get one good answer as to why the change wasn't made weeks before it was.

I can't give you the answer to why it wasn't made before the injury but maybe Jim was just trying to be the smartest guy in the room and prove he can win a Super Bowl with a guy like Alex Smith when no other coach could reach him for this first six years of his career.

Easier opportunity....I believe he would have done it after a loss perhaps.

Jim Harbaugh played QB in the NFL..I KNOW that.

So if anyone is gonna judge what QB is gonna give him the better shot HE would know/

Agree?

Easier opportunity....I believe he would have done it after a loss perhaps.

Jim Harbaugh played QB in the NFL..I KNOW that.

So if anyone is gonna judge what QB is gonna give him the better shot HE would know/

Agree?

I agree. The fact that the move wasn't made until there was an injury leads me to believe that Harbaugh thinks he can win a SB with Alex. If SF didn't lose a game again until December, does anyone think Smith would have been replaced after the loss?

I can't give you the answer to why it wasn't made before the injury but maybe Jim was just trying to be the smartest guy in the room and prove he can win a Super Bowl with a guy like Alex Smith when no other coach could reach him for this first six years of his career.

Could be. The thought about the coaches could go either way though. Not reaching Alex in the first 6 years isn't necessarily the reason, is what I mean. It could be that the coaches he had for the first 6 years just aren't good coaches and probably didn't deserve to have the jobs they did.

I guess we just disagree on the man himself Laureaux. As far as I'm concerned Jim Harbugh is as good if not better than anyone out the at pulling the absolute most out of a player that they can give. He has proven this at every stop he has been the head coach. He knows this too. He has squeezed every last drop out of Alex Smith that he possibly could and he realized that they have to play perfect football to win the big games. Perfect is just too hard to do on a consistent basis. Nobody can tell you if this switch would have been made without the injury and you know that. I believe it would have at some point been made even it was to begin next season but the opportunity presented itself when Smith was hurt.

Again if anyone can show me any reason why Harbaugh doesn't know what he is doing than I will listen and possibly change my opinion of this. Fact is that this guy has proven to know what he is doing at every stop for years now.

I guess we just disagree on the man himself Laureaux. As far as I'm concerned Jim Harbugh is as good if not better than anyone out the at pulling the absolute most out of a player that they can give. He has proven this at every stop he has been the head coach. He knows this too. He has squeezed every last drop out of Alex Smith that he possibly could and he realized that they have to play perfect football to win the big games. Perfect is just too hard to do on a consistent basis. Nobody can tell you if this switch would have been made without the injury and you know that. I believe it would have at some point been made even it was to begin next season but the opportunity presented itself when Smith was hurt.

Again if anyone can show me any reason why Harbaugh doesn't know what he is doing than I will listen and possibly change my opinion of this. Fact is that this guy has proven to know what he is doing at every stop for years now.

I agree with you about Harbaugh very much. But if the change wasn't going to be made until next season, and only happened because of injury this season, we should all be able to agree that Harbuagh thinks he can win SB with Smith. Why else would he have been playing him all year if he didn't? Surely Harbaugh wouldn't be "sacrificing" a shot at the title just to keep playing Smith.

If he thought he could win it with Smith then he would have been behind center last week and there would be no controversy.

If he thought he could win it with Smith then he would have been behind center last week and there would be no controversy.

If he thought Kapernick was the answer, he would have started him at the beginning of the season.

after the NE game the results/performance kinda speak for themselves. its a done deal

41 pts in December at New England. 4 td passes.

Great game for the 49er offense and Kaepernick last night. Let's see what everyone says when they lose at Seattle next Sunday night. Smith needs to make a pitch to the Vikes for next year and I'd laugh my ass off if he gets a chance to knock SF out of the playoffs.

Think he'd have to single-handedly lose next week's game, with zero completions, six turnovers, and bad body language for the move to be questioned at this point.

yeah, this is all gravy if he truly didn't believe alex smith was his guy. i don't think he remotely expected kap to take them to the bowl this year, but could be wrong

it's the experience and grit that is awesome, and kap got some tonight. worst case, should make them a really viable contender next year

The way he responded to that early pick six on the biggest stage of his life tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Smith didn't lose it for them last year....that would be kyle williams.

that's just not true utes. to blame it on the returner deflects blame from every other part of the game. i don't blame alex, but to put it on a punt returner is flat wrong. shouldn't have come to that

honestly wouldn't mind if alex ends up here...he has talent, it just hasn't been tapped imo, and that's hard for me to say after so many years in the pros. but harbaugh knows what he's doing. don't be that guy that blames kyle williams for the game, should have been out of hand by then

Game pretty much swung on that play though, kj, right?

on the pick6? then yes, it swung on that, in the fact that it happened early and kap got some early real world experience

is that what you're talking about tip? all along, i'm pro harbaugh. already chalked up them losing in the postseason this year, just to give his guy some experience. tonight was gravy

oh, yes, the game swung on the muffed punt

my bad...great experience for the kid tho

No, last year's game, the muffed punts.

no way, missed opportunities galore for SF. the QB was throwing bounce passes, and to put it on the return guy was just not right. SF dominated that game, but they didn't turn it into points. so u get a scapegoat

Which was the earlier use of muff ... muff as a dropped kick in football or muff as a vagina?

no way, missed opportunities galore for SF. the QB was throwing bounce passes, and to put it on the return guy was just not right. SF dominated that game, but they didn't turn it into points. so u get a scapegoat

Pretty big fucking scapegoat.

Seemingly, everyone played well enough to win except that guy.

i saw a bunch of bounce passes that game, and so did coach jim harbaugh, thus his Decision

I love his decision, but he didn't make it in the offseason. (Was probably kicking it around.) He waited until Smith got hurt.

Do you blame Norwood for losing that Super Bowl? Or the other Bills?

Smith has never done anything right in sf. Granted, I'm biased but when they won it had nothing to do with him and when they lost it was all his fault. He can't get out of there fast enough. Not to mention what he had to go through under that prick Nolan

Smith has never done anything right in sf. Granted, I'm biased but when they won it had nothing to do with him and when they lost it was all his fault. He can't get out of there fast enough. Not to mention what he had to go through under that prick Nolan

that's my point. i actually really like him as a qb...just not a fair shake, and remove emotion, and it makes a ton of sense. he can win....just not there, under any circumstance

I'll admit my bias, but he could have won there this year. He was doing just that up to the concussion

Back