What have we learned after one weekend of MLB

D-Woww

Old Man Dan
Number one thing is to never overreact. Yankees and Red Sox will be fine and Baltimore is gonna lose 100. I will say the following things though:

-Everything about the Phillies has a great feel to it. I was lucky enough to go to 2 of 3 games and the energy around this team on the field and in the stadium with the fans is just unreal. The Harper era could not have gotten off to a better start. Having said that, this team still has crappy starting pitching. Pivetta, who I actually like a lot, struggled and the offense picked him up. Arrieta battled but he walked a ton and in the future he wont get out of trouble every time like he did Sunday. It does seem like the other shoe will drop tomorrow with Eflin v Sczerzer, but we'll see. If nothing else, this team is entertaining as hell

-Not worried about the Stros, they'll be fine

-Yelich was every "experts" pick to regress this season. Still a long way to go, but he might just be a monster

-Mariners are very impressive so far.

-That kid Paddack on SD is a beast. Easy ROY candidate if he pitches enough innings, though the team may shut him down by September. But man, that kid can throw.

-Rangers overs might be a cash cow all season

here some total stats:

Tigers 4 straight unders
A’s 5 straight unders
Padres 4 straight unders
Rangers 3 straight overs
Red Sox 4 straight overs
Astros 4 straight unders
D’Backs 4 straight overs
Angels 4 straight unders
Blue Jays 4 straight unders
Cubs 3 straight overs

I’ve learned it possible that I might have been so happy cards dumped matheny I had blinders when it came to mike shildt. I know the players love him but his in game decisions were questionable at best in that series. That a real problem in games that were so tight! Maybe the outcomes wouldn’t have changed but I’m pretty confident in saying if he made the right moves cards would have gotten a split at worst. Probably won’t be a big deal majority of the time but in a division that most likely gonna be very tight, and in ganes against milw and Chicago where the talent is incredibly even it could be the difference in making the playoffs or not.

Yelich is incredible no doubt, didn’t know he was being projected to regress but that seems silly imo, kid a beast. I will say 3 of his 4 home runs were pretty bad mistakes in location. The exception being the one he hit off wacha, wacha did miss but it was up above the strike zone w heat so gotta tip your cap on that one. Ultimately the name of the game is when you get a mistake not to miss it and he damn sure isn’t, he punished every miss location pitch he got!

Back