What have we learned after 4 weeks of college football?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
As someone that has watched every throw for 4 years now, this isn't an accurate statement at all. Im not sure how you came up with that. What games have you watched to conclude that? I think he has an uncanny ability to hit players in stride down the field....

The other stuff I completely agree with and think it was spot on.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of his games, obviously nowhere near as much as you, but I've watched him closely 3 times: NC State this year, Carolina last year, and Pitt last year.

In the NC State game, I held a ODU ticket, so it ended up well, but I can't remember one time that he went significantly downfield. He completed something like 34 throws for 275 yards or so. It was all short. Same with Carolina last year, and they were behind the whole game. He had good numbers in the Pitt game last year, but didn;t throw the ball downfield much, as I remember.

Even against Eastern Michigan this year, he was 17-30 for 187 yards and no scores. In all the games I've watched him, he typically just throws very short, but efficiently. It wasn't a knock on him, although now that I read it, I see why someone would take it that way. I think he's really good, but his game typically isn't a downfield throwing game, based on what I've seen and the numbers in a lot of his games. In the game against Rice, however, he was chucking it like a mad bomber because Rice wasn't covering anyone downfield. Again, not a knock on Heinecke.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of his games, obviously nowhere near as much as you, but I've watched him closely 3 times: NC State this year, Carolina last year, and Pitt last year.

In the NC State game, I held a ODU ticket, so it ended up well, but I can't remember one time that he went significantly downfield. He completed something like 34 throws for 275 yards or so. It was all short. Same with Carolina last year, and they were behind the whole game. He had good numbers in the Pitt game last year, but didn;t throw the ball downfield much, as I remember.

Even against Eastern Michigan this year, he was 17-30 for 187 yards and no scores. In all the games I've watched him, he typically just throws very short, but efficiently. It wasn't a knock on him, although now that I read it, I see why someone would take it that way. I think he's really good, but his game typically isn't a downfield throwing game, based on what I've seen and the numbers in a lot of his games. In the game against Rice, however, he was chucking it like a mad bomber because Rice wasn't covering anyone downfield. Again, not a knock on Heinecke.

He missed on a couple deep throws vs. NC State where his timing with his WRs was off. (1 to a true freshman). NC State mainly kept 7 guys back in coverage and ODU attempted to exploit it with the running game so you are correct that he didn't attempt a bunch of deep passes in that game.

UNC, he simply had no shot to do anything. Their DL completely owned our OL and they had big, physical DBs that just jammed our WRs at the line. I was at the game, but don't remember if there were any deep shots or not as it was a year ago.

They did hit a couple deep passes vs. Pitt (including 47 yarder to Roberts who is out for year). You are right that most of the plays were underneath though.

The Eastern Michigan game was a shit show. It down poured with wind. By Wilders count, the WRs dropped 10 passes of the 30 balls thrown. Heincike actually attempted to go deep in the first drive and the ball slipped out of his hand and ended up like 15 yards short of the WR and intercepted.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or stick up for the guy; simply to provide knowledge as I follow them about as close as anyone that isn't in the locker room can. They've had some trouble hitting deeper passes on games vs. power 5 conference teams for sure, but deep passes are a significant threat in their passing game. Im not sure if Rice came up with that same though you did and paid dearly for it or if they were just caught in man to man a lot. Just trust me when I say they take a few shots downfield per game. Heinicke typically has very good accuracy in the deep passing game, but he was certainly off a hair against NC State and Hampton.

:shake:

He missed on a couple deep throws vs. NC State where his timing with his WRs was off. (1 to a true freshman). NC State mainly kept 7 guys back in coverage and ODU attempted to exploit it with the running game so you are correct that he didn't attempt a bunch of deep passes in that game.

UNC, he simply had no shot to do anything. Their DL completely owned our OL and they had big, physical DBs that just jammed our WRs at the line. I was at the game, but don't remember if there were any deep shots or not as it was a year ago.

They did hit a couple deep passes vs. Pitt (including 47 yarder to Roberts who is out for year). You are right that most of the plays were underneath though.

The Eastern Michigan game was a shit show. It down poured with wind. By Wilders count, the WRs dropped 10 passes of the 30 balls thrown. Heincike actually attempted to go deep in the first drive and the ball slipped out of his hand and ended up like 15 yards short of the WR and intercepted.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or stick up for the guy; simply to provide knowledge as I follow them about as close as anyone that isn't in the locker room can. They've had some trouble hitting deeper passes on games vs. power 5 conference teams for sure, but deep passes are a significant threat in their passing game. Im not sure if Rice came up with that same though you did and paid dearly for it or if they were just caught in man to man a lot. Just trust me when I say they take a few shots downfield per game. Heinicke typically has very good accuracy in the deep passing game, but he was certainly off a hair against NC State and Hampton.

:shake:

Fair enough. Thanks. I think that Heinecke could have told the Rice secondary where he was throwing it and they wouldn't have been able to cover. That's my main point...Rice is awful against the pass, so if they're facing a team that can throw....it might be a profit opportunity. Your point is good too....ODU is a good play against weak pass defenses, and they proved it against Rice. All in the spirit of the thread

:cheers3:

Fair enough. Thanks. I think that Heinecke could have told the Rice secondary where he was throwing it and they wouldn't have been able to cover. That's my main point...Rice is awful against the pass, so if they're facing a team that can throw....it might be a profit opportunity. Your point is good too....ODU is a good play against weak pass defenses, and they proved it against Rice. All in the spirit of the thread

:cheers3:

The teams that stop ODU are teams with big physical defensive backs that throw the timing off with the QB and allow the DL to get pressure. Teams don't blitz ODU bc they are typically too scared to get burned. You put a bunch of 6 foot, 200 pound defensive backs at the LOS and jam the WRs and their whole rhythm is thrown off. Rice is a team that certainly can't do that. NC State did to a certain extent...got burned a few times, but where really getting gashed on the ground (difference between this years ODU teams and previous years is the running game)

On defense, they are terrible vs. everyone. But, in the past the two biggest weaknesses are the triple option (see Georgia Southern and Citadel) and athletic, dual threat QBs. They've done somewhat better than previous years, but it's still weak. ODU has also been historically a very strong first half team but what happens is they get worn down by bigger, deeper teams with a full slate of FBS recruits. Rice certainly wore them down. But, Im not sure Mid Tenn State is a team that can wear ODU down or be physical with their WRs.

Last edited:
As is typical, the P12 is an enigma........

Oregon. Something seems off and I would have concerns about this defense right now....if they didn't have Mariota, this would be a team that could lose 3/4 games....if they can get by UCLA on the road, they will probably run the table....but, they seem to clearly be a "bet against" team right now with those large numbers and suspect D.....and if they do run the table and get to the playoffs, they get bounced.....just a notch below where they have been in the last couple years

Stanford. Learn a lot about Stanford this weekend....if they cannot come into Huskies stadium and beat what I think is a very soft, undisciplined Huskies team, then they are cleary over-rated....had a discussion with a good friend about Hogan the other day....he seems to have all the makings of another world beater, but just seems to thow up the clunker game once in a while....I still think he is an elite P12 QB, but my friend thinks he is nothing more than mid-tier.....hmmmm.....BTW, I have bet Stanford with both fists this week......no way they shouldn't come in here and beat UW handily.

Washington. Washington is a shell of its team from last year.....I really don't get how bad this team has been defensively...they have 4 potential first/second round draft picks on D, but they just seem to be a step behind every play....it is almost as if we re-hired Nick Holt and are playing the same base soft zone with 10 yards of cusion every play.....and this is against Georgia State/Hawaii/Illinois for godsake......Stanford gonna run right at the Dawgs and then throw over the top.......the UW offense hasn't been horrible, but the level of competition has been bad.....Miles arm strength is suspect and decision making is poor as well.....I really see this team struggling on O against decent defenses......although I will say this now, JR III is a gamechanger....a college percy harvin

OK........jumping on conference call, so have to jet.....but have more thoughts on OSU/Cal and the south...

Back