What have we learned after 4 weeks of college football?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Also ..off topic … does anyone else get annoyed with teams incapable of taking a snap from center for a QB sneak or short yardage? Drives me crazy on multiple levels
1. It is obviously a huge disadvantage to have to go shot gun in those situations and you have decided before the season starts that you are going to take that disadvantage. And the thing is … short yardage situations are BIG moments in games … third and one, fourth and one and goal line plays. It just shows a degree of laziness by the coaches that I find angering.
2. Presumably you should be preparing your kids for the next level.

diagree. That is not the job as a coach.

Gonna guess California moneyline bettors probably took it worse than anyone else.

For sure, what a clusterfuck that last minute or so was for Cal.

Not as bad as Cal obviously, but how about SoCar coming back for what looked like the miracle cover or push (if you got a good # during the week) with 1:32 left, only to let up a TD 45 seconds later? Vandy had only 2 FGs in the 2nd half, outside of the kickoff return...you somehow go up 21 with 1:32 left in the game, and then fold like a deck of cards to allow the back door TD. I know, it doesn't and didn't mean much of anything to them as they were up 3 TDs and didn't really care if they allowed a TD, it's just annoying. They really had no business covering (or getting me the push) anyway, but when they tease you like that...

Destroyed? Florida was in it through the 3rd Q and basically stayed in it because of their defense. Immagine if Bama plays someone with an offense!!

Their defense?? They gave up 335 yards passing in the first half to Blake Sims. They were outgained by 445 yards. They were in it only because of an outrageous run of good luck. They didn't belong on the field with Alabama yesterday. The issues with the non Hargreaves portion of their defense was on full display against Kentucky, when they proved that they can't cover anyone downfield, and it was driven home again yesterday. Any team that can complete a forward pass will burn them to a crisp. This defense is terrible, and combining that with what we all know is a putrid offense will make it tough for them to beat anyone else on their schedule except for Eastern Kentucky and maybe Vandy. Driskill is astoundingly bad.

Now that they are on their 3rd coordinator, and still can't find a pulse on offense, I think it's become clear that Meyer had either checked out on the recruiting trail or made some bad talent judgements. In addition, the staffs Muschamp has assembled can't develop anyone on the offensive side of the ball. How can Florida still be trotting Driskill out there after 4 years of this shit? In 3 years they haven't unearthed someone who can complete a forward pass? It's really mind boggling. I'll just keep betting against them I guess.

Was there any worse beat than this one?
BYU -14.5. They are up 15 with about 5 minutes left, UVA down to the back up QB and 99 yds away from the endzone, first play the RB is tackled inches from a safety. Play 2 no gain, play 3 a slant for a 1st down, they punt if they dont get the 1st down from the half yard line.... They drive the field converting at least one 4th down and yes score a TD with like 45 seconds left to cover. again, back up qb drives a team 99 yds to fuck me over!!!

I had that one too, but it's hard to say that BYU was the right side on that one. Frustrating nontheless. Keep in mind BYU got a 100 yard KO return to put it at 15 with about 4 minutes to go. Would have been a fortunate front door cover, so I didn't get too upset about that one.

Terps won by two td .... think we are far enough along that we can say the terps defense is bad

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="align: left"][/TH]
[TH="align: left"]MD[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]SYR[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]1st Downs[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]26[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="align: left"]3rd down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]4-13[/TD]
[TD]4-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]4th down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[TD]0-1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]369[/TD]
[TD]589[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Passing[/TD]
[TD]280[/TD]
[TD]219[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Comp-Att[/TD]
[TD]16-26[/TD]
[TD]14-28[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per pass[/TD]
[TD]10.8[/TD]
[TD]7.8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Rushing[/TD]
[TD]89[/TD]
[TD]370[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts[/TD]
[TD]32[/TD]
[TD]51[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per rush[/TD]
[TD]2.8[/TD]
[TD]7.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Penalties[/TD]
[TD]8-75[/TD]
[TD]8-69[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Turnovers[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Fumbles lost[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Interceptions thrown[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Possession[/TD]
[TD]27:46[/TD]
[TD]32:14[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

As the holder of a Syracuse ticket based on the belief that Maryland wouldn't be able to stop the run, this was a frustrating one.

Some thoughts:

East Carolina is really good. At the same time, I must say that the UNC defense's effort was probably one of the most embarrassing displays I've ever seen. They occasionally kind of tried to tackle people. ECU had a 3rd and 17 late in the first half where they just ran a read option stretch play to get in better position to punt, and the RB ran right through the whole team. "well, if nobody is going to tackle me, I guess I'll just score." I'd love to see DC Vic Koenning's postgame comments. He's a straight shooter, it probably wasn't pretty. Fedora's tenure there has been surprisingly unimpressive.

I know they didn't have Winston, but FSU is just ok. They couldn't run the ball to save their lives against a Clemson team that looked like a wet nap in week one. It's astounding how fortunate they were to win. The Greene play where the DB just falls down and hands them a 75 yard TD. The late fumble. the missed FGs, the errant snap at the one yard line when it looked like Clemson had scored the play before...wow. If they were in the SEC West, they'd lose at least 3, maybe 4.

Can someone explain to me how I lost my bet on Indiana last week? Apparently, Road BG is about 42 points worse than home BG.

Army is now 0-7 in the past 10 years as a road favorite, 1-6 outright in those games.

Not anything earth shattering here, but Rice's pass defense is right up there with Air Force's from last year. They can't cover anyone. Heinicke typically can't throw the ball more than 15 yards in the air, and he was air-raiding the Owls yesterday.

Minnesota completed one pass yesterday and covered.

As Kyle pointed out, almost all of LSU's yardage was after the game was over. That was a complete domination, and for me, it was more noteworthy from the negative side (LSU) going forward than the positive.

Chuck Martin must know what the hell he's doing in his first year because Miami(OH) just played their 3rd pretty impressive game of the year. They pretty much played Cincy to a standstill, and this was a team that was probably the worst team in FBS last year in all phases. They also hung tough with Marshall, who got through their road favorite doldrums pretty effectively yesterday. All this with a QB that can't throw the ball. Keep your eye on him.

I guess LA-La is that bad. Boise barely even showed up and they covered easily. I mention ULL because I was under the impression that they were going to be a strong squad this year..certainly the favorite in the Sun Belt. At this point, Ga Southern would probably beat them by 28.

I might think of some more stuff later, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Did any of the Missouri coaches talk to the center who snapped the ball high I'd guess about 30 times in the game?

I've never seen a more ill-prepared team than Missouri yesterday...it was if they didn't want to be there.

You obviously don't get ESPNU then.

Will add some misleading finals to the thread ... this one is pretty amazing...

Duke won 47-13!

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="align: left"][/TH]
[TH="align: left"]TULN[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]DUKE[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]1st Downs[/TD]
[TD]28[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]3rd down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]5-18[/TD]
[TD]7-13[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]4th down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]1-6[/TD]
[TD]0-1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]375[/TD]
[TD]437[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Passing[/TD]
[TD]160[/TD]
[TD]181[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Comp-Att[/TD]
[TD]14-36[/TD]
[TD]15-28[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per pass[/TD]
[TD]4.4[/TD]
[TD]6.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Rushing[/TD]
[TD]215[/TD]
[TD]256[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts[/TD]
[TD]59[/TD]
[TD]42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per rush[/TD]
[TD]3.6[/TD]
[TD]6.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Penalties[/TD]
[TD]13-92[/TD]
[TD]7-80[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Turnovers[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Fumbles lost[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Interceptions thrown[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Possession[/TD]
[TD]34:28[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
same story with this team and it will be

CJ can get the kids, but managing the game is entirely different

If Tulane doesnt give up a ST TD or turnover...THEN it is news

Michigan buried itself when they axed Rich Rod

dumb....they coulda waited that out and had some Big shit titles...probably a few

Not as bad as Cal obviously, but how about SoCar coming back for what looked like the miracle cover or push (if you got a good # during the week) with 1:32 left, only to let up a TD 45 seconds later? Vandy had only 2 FGs in the 2nd half, outside of the kickoff return...you somehow go up 21 with 1:32 left in the game, and then fold like a deck of cards to allow the back door TD. I know, it doesn't and didn't mean much of anything to them as they were up 3 TDs and didn't really care if they allowed a TD, it's just annoying. They really had no business covering (or getting me the push) anyway, but when they tease you like that...
OBC was gold after

I now know, even though I didnt LOL

I watched the highlights and they skipped over like 28 points.....so Scary had it locked and the 14' got fucked?

unreal

and by jumped I mean getting a scum dick like CUM

Mich hangs on to RR they would be better than where they are now

Hoke is terrible

RR is doin bad now huh?

Michigan hanging on to Dick Rod is insane. He retarded that program for years.

I dont blame Hoke for all of this, his qb sucks and Morris should be in. Hoke's system and Michigan requires a 6'5 stud drop back passer. Ryan Mallett was ran out of town for a guy named Shoelace. Then came the guys from Florida who chase roosters and are about as smart as Jameis Winston. Then came the uptick in bad behavior by players.

hoke sucks, dont get me wrong, but rich rod is like the president before who left the next guy with the clean up job for four years.

now hoke will be the guy that helps the next head coach believe it or not.

ppl need to realize michigan sucking this year and getting hoke fired will benefit the future. big picture people, big picture!!

and by jumped I mean getting a scum dick like CUM

Mich hangs on to RR they would be better than where they are now

Hoke is terrible

RR is doin bad now huh?

his shit didnt work in the big 10, where defense is played to a degree. there are also some academic standards unlike at Arizona and West Vagina where as long as you know what moonshine is and have 3 teeth you are in.

No one will succeed at UM as long as politics and Brandon run the show.

Player development has been awful. Under both regimes.

I also learned that the SEC west don't really fuck with the East. So when Tenny, UF, UGA & Socar fans yell SEC SEC SEC, they really are just the ugly broke friend pumping up up their handsome, paid friend who allows them to hang around in VIP & utilize their bottle service. In otherwords, they're pawns, bitches, tricks. But I'm sleep tho

they shoulda stuck it out.....Ohio St jumped late gettin CUM, Mich was a pioneer but couldnt stick out the game and the heat

I have no doubt the program wins if they stuck with RR

Hoke is trash
tom-brady.gif

I also learned that the SEC west don't really fuck with the East. So when Tenny, UF, UGA & Socar fans yell SEC SEC SEC, they really are just the ugly broke friend pumping up up their handsome, paid friend who allows them to hang around in VIP & utilize their bottle service. In otherwords, they're pawns, bitches, tricks. But I'm sleep tho
lol...

Can't figure out SCARY for the life of me, not sure if it's my expectations but I expected a little more from Thompson, he's missing some targets that should go for yards but he's just missing terribly..as mentioned in this thread you're not going to win with Driskell

SMU is sad. I mentioned in the A&M post last week, but they're so, so severely lacking in talent.

They should be playing on Friday nights. Of the high school variety.

SMU is sad. I mentioned in the A&M post last week, but they're so, so severely lacking in talent.

They should be playing on Friday nights. Of the high school variety.

get TCU at home, then ECU on the road, then cincy and memphis... should be interesting fading this SMU team who is beyond lost

OBC was gold after

I now know, even though I didnt LOL

I watched the highlights and they skipped over like 28 points.....so Scary had it locked and the 14' got fucked?

unreal

Not 14.5, the line was 21 earlier in the week and 22.5 around game time, some may have had 20.5 I guess if they got it early enough.

Can't blame Hoke for this ... Bull Shit! The guy is recruiting. He simply cannot develop these guys. In over his head, but, hey, he's a Michgian Guy! That mentality doesn't work anymore.

post 57 from brass is about as on point as any post i've ever read in this forum. i was going to throw some thoughts in until i read that. decided i'd be better off keeping my dicksucker shut.

easier for me, from a guy who lost this weekend in college.

:shake:

post 57 from brass is about as on point as any post i've ever read in this forum. i was going to throw some thoughts in until i read that. decided i'd be better off keeping my dicksucker shut.

about the most solid capper I ever saw

and a nice dude it would seem

Was there any worse beat than this one?
BYU -14.5. They are up 15 with about 5 minutes left, UVA down to the back up QB and 99 yds away from the endzone, first play the RB is tackled inches from a safety. Play 2 no gain, play 3 a slant for a 1st down, they punt if they dont get the 1st down from the half yard line.... They drive the field converting at least one 4th down and yes score a TD with like 45 seconds left to cover. again, back up qb drives a team 99 yds to fuck me over!!!

You apparently didn't have Cal ML. Lead the game for 59 minutes and 59 seconds, only to lose on a Hail Mary on the last play of the game.

The Ole Ball Coach wasn't amused either.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/collegesportslive/?media=464823

Coming from the guy whose weekly thread either makes us or saves us cash every week. Thanks for the kind words CKR.

:cheers3:

Some thoughts:
I guess LA-La is that bad. Boise barely even showed up and they covered easily. I mention ULL because I was under the impression that they were going to be a strong squad this year..certainly the favorite in the Sun Belt. At this point, Ga Southern would probably beat them by 28.

LaLa? Terrence Broadway is somewhere, probably only a milk carton. Certainly not playing so well on the football field.

Not anything earth shattering here, but Rice's pass defense is right up there with Air Force's from last year. They can't cover anyone. Heinicke typically can't throw the ball more than 15 yards in the air, and he was air-raiding the Owls yesterday.

As someone that has watched every throw for 4 years now, this isn't an accurate statement at all. Im not sure how you came up with that. What games have you watched to conclude that? I think he has an uncanny ability to hit players in stride down the field....

The other stuff I completely agree with and think it was spot on.

Florida's longest drive in the game was 31 yards. Alabama had 9 drives longer than that.

Anyone who thinks Florida was in it at any time after kickoff was either high or wears Tim Tebow signature jean shorts to work

Back