What did ya learn on blackout Saturday?

SEC is interesting. You have two unreal offenses in the West that both have very average(being kind here) defenses. Auburn is still a threat as well but not as much as before ... The East you have Georgia with a few tough games left and Florida... Very interesting. The SEC ship game should be interesting. Overall, the LSU Bama game "should" be a defacto playoff. You best be playing in conference championship to even be considered for playoffs. This is the ND argument against last year about playing one less game kinda. Also, there should be a lot of competition for these spots this year. I know that this #1 vs #2 matchup will have plenty of commentary about a quality loss yada yada but this simply cannot happen. No way from the same division... No. Absolutely not. It's gonna be fun though! Total gotta be 74.5 min now...thoughts?

LSU’s front has a chance to get healthy and a little better before November, but there’s no help coming in the secondary.

Toledo made a lot of mistakes early, after that Bowling Green was just flat out better.

It never really felt like Texas was in that game. Hurts kept them in the game a couple times, and Horns backdoored, but OU was pretty superior. Bad tackling out of UT secondary, maybe that was depth related.

I really really enjoyed that South Carolina win.

Maurer for Tennessee threw 2 INTs in the EZ. The first was a 3 step drop and just throw, he never even read the D or saw it was double coverage. I can't remember the second. He got up-ended and landed on his head. Guess he was concussed. Probably a good thing really. Pruitt went ultra conservative with Guarantano in the game, first 9 plays were all runs. I think he knew that UT could beat Miss St so long as they didn't fuck up any more. Vols needed to and did make some timely plays on a nice clock killing and final margin making last drive.

Miami, Oh really let one slip away. Wouldn't know it from the final score and margin. Had to kick to early FGs for just a 6-0 lead when they were clearly better and then threw a bad pick-six. WM woke up thereafter. On back-to-back 2nd H plays MiaOh should've had INTs...one easy one in the hands was dropped, then another was called back by a weak holding penalty - next play WM got a TD and it was game over at that point.

I think Akron was in the Red Zone 6x - and they got a total of 3 points. They definitely haven't quit (yet), but they are bad as we all knew.

I believe Cincy got a late D TD, then Houston threw an INT from close to the EZ when attempting to back door.

I've probably seen a worse Michigan State O, but I can't remember it right now. Lombardi should've got in the game. Lewerke was just brutal.

WVU played about as good as they could for 2.5 quarters, then the superior team pulled away.

TT - Baylor was pretty fun.

Has Mason been fired yet? How do you lose to UNLV by 24 points?

Didn't see any of it, but believe San Jose got down big, then must've posted a big comeback because Nevada had to kick a game winning FG.

Army was losing 0-7 at HT and WKU left some plays on the field. I didn't see any 2nd H, just really really odd to see such a poor effort out of them vs an average at best CUSA team.

Louisville O was an unstoppable machine. Their D is still a sieve.

Washington was losing by 4 I think at HT, fell asleep and saw they must've figured some shit out in the 2nd H winning big.

Last edited:
Through 48 games:

Kirby Smart: 37-11, 1 SEC Championship, 2 SEC East titles, 4 top 10 recruiting classes, 3 home L's to unranked teams.

Mark Richt: 39-9, 1 SEC Championship, 2 SEC East titles, 4 Top 10 recruiting classes, 0 home L's to unranked teams.

That's not true. 2001 Richt lost at home to an unranked Auburn team as a 7.5 pt fav. Auburn was not ranked according to Phil Steele's book at the time. Internet shows that Auburn was ranked #24, so maybe one poll had them one poll didn't.

I'll come to Kirby's defense because I know Georgia blogs and boards must be melting down this morning. It was bad enough that all these elite offenses ranked in the neighborhood Georgia was is putting up video game numbers and Georgia is just kind of plodding along, not beating ND by enough, allowing Tennessee to hang around. And now the unthinkable, losing to Cocks at home as 21 pt favs!

Well, 2 of those unranked losses came in Kirby's first year. GT might not have been ranked, but they were probably better than Georgia that year. I think everyone was pretty happy with Richt in the first 48 games or first 3 year period. It is the end of the Richt years that got everyone bothered, and to that point, some of those year 1 Smart losses to unranked teams could be blamed on the Richt team he was fielding. But whatever. It's fine to me, no dawg in the hunt for me.

Neil W also failed to note how many national title game appearances Richt got - 0. Kirby - 1.

SEC is interesting. You have two unreal offenses in the West that both have very average(being kind here) defenses. Auburn is still a threat as well but not as much as before ... The East you have Georgia with a few tough games left and Florida... Very interesting. The SEC ship game should be interesting. Overall, the LSU Bama game "should" be a defacto playoff. You best be playing in conference championship to even be considered for playoffs. This is the ND argument against last year about playing one less game kinda. Also, there should be a lot of competition for these spots this year. I know that this #1 vs #2 matchup will have plenty of commentary about a quality loss yada yada but this simply cannot happen. No way from the same division... No. Absolutely not. It's gonna be fun though! Total gotta be 74.5 min now...thoughts?
So Bama can’t lose at home and get in again?

;)

Well, that's true for sure. I wonder if like the 07 team would have been near a playoff?

There was one year, was it the 06 or 07 team? A 1 loss Georgia SEC Champ, only loss to Florida, think they were ranked 3 or 4 final BCS? Yes, they would've been in a playoff. Some thought they should be ranked above an undefeated Ohio State.

Well, that's true for sure. I wonder if like the 07 team would have been near a playoff?
There was one year, was it the 06 or 07 team? A 1 loss Georgia SEC Champ, only loss to Florida, think they were ranked 3 or 4 final BCS? Yes, they would've been in a playoff. Some thought they should be ranked above an undefeated Ohio State.

No, I looked it up. Should've the first time before posting. I was talking about the 2002 Georgia team. They would've been in a playoff for sure. That was year OSU beat Miami.

Didn’t it happen to Auburn too maybe?

Talking about missing a national title shot? 2004 undefeated team. Nonconference schedule was a joke...and that is before SEC was the best thing that happened to football so nobody respected their unbeaten league record.

Saw Tua threw a INT, must be fake news because Tua doesn't throw picks.

How about Riley Neal, 3 years starting when healthy at Ball State, teams mostly bad. He jumps ship to Vandy and now Ball State is kinda good, atleast better relatively speaking, and Vandy is a dumpster fire.

boston college is playing even with your average acc teams and had a difficult time beating rutgers who is losing by 50 to bad big ten teams- at a time when they should of been motivated coming off an embarrassing kansas loss.

I thought utah states offense may have been better than florida - guess I was wrong. and also wrong about lsu defense improvement after that game.

mac conference seems to be erratic conference. kent beats bg 50-0 and toledo loses to them

greg schiano is a horrible coach. alex grinch was on osu staff last year and they did not utilize him. Defensive coordinator changes are making all the difference a two national title contenders. It wasn't a talent issue.

South Florida is a very good TFL team, #1 nationally and had 13 vs BYU

Arizona State at Utah this Saturday winner in driver's seat for South

Tulsa's season is likely to spiral out of control stemming from the blown SMU game (Navy beat them 45-17). Next up @ Cincy, Mem, @Tulane, UCF

mac conference seems to be erratic conference.

It's upside down right now, only 2 unbeaten teams in league play.

East - Kent 2-0
West - Ball St 2-0

Talking about missing a national title shot? 2004 undefeated team. Nonconference schedule was a joke...and that is before SEC was the best thing that happened to football so nobody respected their unbeaten league record.
Auburn was on probation and ineligible.

2004 Auburn was just trapped behind USC and Oklahoma in the BCS standings.

Neither did I
Really on Aranda kinda..tackling still seems lazy at times
If I was gonna see another 3 man rush, I was gonna puke

Just an observation I don't really think this is fact or anything, but it almost seems like now that LSU has an O, the pressure isn't on the D and the D isn't as good because of it. I don't know if it is their scheme, or their intensity or it could all be in my head. But there was just something to knowing in a big SEC game like that pre-2019 the LSU D knew they had to come out and play out. Now, the O can carry the day.

It doesn't matter. They don't have to be shut down D at LSU. I mean, who is shut down D - all those Big Ten teams that sit atop the D rankings? Yeah, because they are facing Big Ten Os and MAC Os so they pad their numbers.

LSU D will still win games for them. Look at Florida's last drive. Now having the ability to step up and make plays when tehy are needed most matters just as much as holding an opponent below x # of yards or below Y number of pts. Not banging on LSU D. It is just weird for me to see what I have in the Texas and Florida games.

Florida ran like 80 plays yesterday I think. I thought LSU‘s D performed pretty admirably. Considering how up-tempo its offense is, LSU‘s D is at a massive disadvantage. Its stats will always make it look way worse

Clemson is good when they want to be. Florida State is still bad.
This game was over the moment the ESPN talking heads started downplaying Clemson’s talent. Bulletin board material. Dabo had to prove a point, and he did. Problem is, they may drop again in the standings. I usually hate having the score run up on us, but took delight seeing Willie T look stupid on our sideline. Dude does not even deserve the payout. Just do us all a favor and quit. Social justice hire and FSU will be negligible for a decade now. Way to go Wilcox, you cock gobbler.

Why does Ohio keep getting spread respect? -7.5 home vs Kent despite being 0-3 as a fav ats this year and 1-5 ats overall. Guess somebody is saying they are due?

Why does Ohio keep getting spread respect? -7.5 home vs Kent despite being 0-3 as a fav ats this year and 1-5 ats overall. Guess somebody is saying they are due?

Odds don‘t ever adjust for those sorta trends I think, at least not for a long while

Odds don‘t ever adjust for those sorta trends I think, at least not for a long while

Sorry, I'm just treating this as a catch-all thread.

Suppose one could say this is must win for Ohio to not fall 1-2 conf play and split these home gamed and Kent might be fat and happy off rival win. But play on field shows a different story.

Georgia slips to 10 lol. Imagine any other conference team losing at home as 21 pt fave to garbage team. Love the Kirby spin and the narrative the will never die, anyone in the SEC can win like that, every game is a war. Apparently UNLV didn’t get the memo. Keep losing Georgia, you’ve earned enough false cred to get you into NY6.

Army lost to Western Ky, guess they aren’t who we thought they were. Might be Harbaughs funeral at white out if O is suffocated. And the O is copy cat of PSU. I’ll be happy to stay within 20.

Michigan can’t hold on to the ball. They literally fumbled away my money.

Indiana can’t be trusted. Okay, I already knew that. But, that did not stop me from taking them and over 27.5 1H.

I watched a lot of the UGA game. Told my wife,”they were going to mess around and lose this game”, before half. They have been playing with Fire the past few games. Finally burnt them. Offense reminds me of Bobo’s UGA offense. Lots of talent, under utilized. So vanilla.

Didn’t watch much of Memphis/Temple, but flipped over a few times to check my wager. Temple looked a lot better when Russo was on the sideline.

Miss St is bad. LSU “should” be able to hang half a hundred on them next week. TN plays hard, but they are just so inept on offense. TN should have won that game by three full scores.

AL should just run slants every play. A&M played them closer than I expected. Both defenses can be beat. LSU will score plenty on Bama. Sad thing is, Bamawill score more against LSUs putrid defense.

Cincinnati, wanted to watch. Just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Beth Mowins, enough said.

Iowa St did pretty much what was expected of them. They came, they played, they won, they went home.

TT/Baylor may have been the best game of the day. Caught the last qtr or so. Ruehl really has Baylor playing well. Those kids have fully bought in to what he is selling.

Ole Miss seemed to score on the final play of the 1H, but they did not even review it. That was really all she wrote on that ML. Really thought they were going to get that one. Mizzou defense is better than I gave them credit for. Bryant still is not a superstar. Broadcast made reference to his departure from Clemson ashaving another side of the story and I can’t wait to hear it.

ND did what they had to. They were better than USCw all night. Books hung a soft number on the TE with 4 catches at -105. Took advantage of that, as he is Books favoritetarget and one can see why. He’s a giant.

Arkansas let me down. Another I was riding a ML with. Just wasn’t meant to be. They definitely had there chances. Bowden is going to be better than Wilson. Why he wasn’t starting at the beginning of the year is beyond me.

UL/Wake was a Over betters dream. Hit both half TTS for each team along with 1H, 2H, and full game over. Someone fell asleep and layed the same numbers (14.5, 17.5, and 31.5). Idk if it was laziness, and really don’t care, but that was a gift. I suppose both teams will be playing overs from here on out. Neither team can stop a nose bleed.

UF/LSU was fun. LSUs defense is as equally bad as their offense is good. Please don’t come at me with UF offense is good, or they have gotten better each week. I’ll admit that Trask is a severe upgrade, but that running game has not changed. Same RBs and O-Line that started the year. LSU was gashed for chunk play after chunk play. Are there any defenses in the SEC? Lord knows Bama doesn’t have one. When these two meet, what will they line the total, 75?

Last edited:
Back