What did we learn week 2

RonG

Outstanding thread here last week. Thanks for the input. I'll start it off with a couple.

That I need to read the Big 10 thread on CGT weekly. Some great information was there all week.
I learned to stay away from Georgia and Tennessee the rest of the year.
Everybody pegged Washington and Texas as most improved. They were right.
That USC didn't curl up into a little ball. Don't know how good Utah St is, but they took care of business.
Ole Miss might get killed this week. Saban is pissed and they won by what the experts expected.
It could be a long year for Rice, FIU, Arky St., Kentucky, ISU & NIU.
And last but not least. I was way wrong about Whisky. They are way better than I thought with the loss of their DC and what I saw in the spring. I won't be betting against them anytime soon. Fondy that was for you.

Coach Kool's leash at Tech is pretty long but it won't remain that way w/ such garbage on defense. Horns were without 5 starters last night on offense. They should all be back this weekend at Berkeley. Very interested to see what that line looks like.

I'm not sure who Clemson is still. I do know that Troy and grambling are teams to make money on before the lines catch up to them. It's amazing how bama always sleep walks when they play inferior competition. i doubt I am alone in thinking Ohio state hands out wood shed treatment this coming Saturday. Auburn still blows, don't let that fool you.

I learned I'm not good picking full games

2nd halfs however :party:

1) BC offense sucks ass....Towles sucks ass

2) Tommie Armstrong is not a very good QB

3) Defer to JDF on all things Alabama

I'm not sure who Clemson is still.
Captain John, just look at Ohio States ATS last year and that might answer your question. Stay away would be my thinking.

Mike Leach in game management (clock, timeouts, 4th downs and math) continues to put his players at a disadvantage for winning close games.

Mike Leach in game management (clock, timeouts, 4th downs and math) continues to put his players at a disadvantage for winning close games.

I would add that both coaches were bad at the end of this one. That last Boise drive I really couldn't tell if they were trying to salt away the clock with the 3 point lead and Leach electing not to take TO or they were trying to score? Several snaps taken by them with 10-15 seconds on play clock, it made no sense to me.

Kansas football is wretched. Tulsa's coach fucked up that OSU game, maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but they were in that game in the 2Q.

Kansas football is wretched. Tulsa's coach fucked up that OSU game, maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but they were in that game in the 2Q.

Agree. With what under a minute left in the half, far away from scoring position, with pouring down rain they keep throwing it leading to a Buckeye pick-six right before half. I forget the circumstances on the first pick-six, but the last one, they had no business trying to pass in that situation with the weather the way it was. Surprised Tulsa could run right up the middle pretty effectively in the first half.

unimportant things that I want to say
The Utah coach does not go 4th and inches to win the game up 4 inside the opponents 10 yardline with roughly two minutes and change to go. He deserved to lose because of it but his players bailed him out on the two point try.

Wake at Duke was the most enjoyable football game to watch yesterday. Great game.

You cannot convince me that coaches do not know the spread. 38-3 bama late laying 28 for most people 29 for the unlucky and 27/27.5 for the kickoff bettors, fumbles it away while running out the clock and Saban gets furious. Really furious. Oregon up 44-26 runs plays instead of taking knees. On the last play the running back breaks it for a covering TD. Wait .... there is a penalty on Oregon. Oregon coach throws a fit as they run the clock out the next play. They were the victims of a lot of penalties in the game so maybe he was mad at the refs but no knees, break a run for a cover and then getting angry as it is called back is telling.

Targeting or hitting a defenseless player has gotten even worse. I saw several plays where the ball is meeting the receiver, the defender lowers his shoulder into the player (like he is taught because he cannot go after the opponents head and he cannot use his own helmet) to dislodge it. Must have been 5 of these that I saw that were just awful calls.

Fast snap pace offensive coordinators are ruining the sport of football. If you watched TT down in the desert and enjoyed it without an over ticket you are a sick person.

More important things

California offense will continue to get better. You could see the strides the offense made between the Hawaii game and the sdsu game. hawaii did a much better job defending the offense than SDSU did and it is not because they have a better defense. Webb looked more comfortable and the bears utilized more of the playbook.

Washington State is the best 0-2 team in the country. Should see value with them in the coming weeks if market doesn't give them credit

NCST is running plays at a faster pace this season, for you totals bettors

Penn state defensive line is much worse than last few years. They suffered a few injuries in the pitt game but I was fooled by their performance against kent st (who scored 17 in regulation against North Carolina A & T loss). They are smaller, slower, not as tough. They got pushed around in a very meaningful way. On the same note, Pitt offensive line looked decent.

Hare NIU got hurt again late in the USF game. Check status.

Missouri will likely struggle in conference play. They are running slightly better offense but just a lot faster. Defense has taken a big step backwards from last years dominant squad. Not sure this is going to pan out well for them this year in the SEC. QB appeared to make strides but it was EMU

Nice performance by UNLV. Better than final score indicates.

Oregon's defense is simply no good -- there is no way to trust laying meaningful points -- will be looking strong at Nebby this week

The Utah coach does not go 4th and inches to win the game up 4 inside the opponents 10 yardline with roughly two minutes and change to go. He deserved to lose because of it but his players bailed him out on the two point try.

Wake at Duke was the most enjoyable football game to watch yesterday. Great game.

That was a great drive by the Utes. I kept yelling at Wittingham to grab his balls on that 4th and inches play. That drive, those players deserved that 4th down conversion. Of course the coach would say if they don't get it then they have a better chance of losing. That game was INTENSE!

Agree on WF. Don't think I would've liked it as much if I weren't on the Deac's side, but yeah, Hinton needs to QB the rest of the year...and Carney's still running right up the gut of that Blue Devil DL. Not sure when they have run for that many yards, they definitely ran for more yards than they did in any other game last year. The O was lost week 1 vs Tulane, I think they may have found something now and a couple winnable games coming up.

I'm not sure who Clemson is still.
Captain John, just look at Ohio States ATS last year and that might answer your question. Stay away would be my thinking.

you might be right. All I know is I don't trust Stoops and never back him in big games/upper crust competition. I fade him or just sit on the porch and drink one. I never back him, ever.

I learned I'm not good picking full games

2nd halfs however :party:

1) BC offense sucks ass....Towles sucks ass

2) Tommie Armstrong is not a very good QB

3) Defer to JDF on all things Alabama
B C offense is awful. Deefense is great. Send Towles back to Kentucky

So Florida and Iowa looked good. ( or was it NIU and ISU looked bad )
Kentucky is terrible.
The Holy Cross QB, a 4 year starter would improve Rice and B C, for two. Name is Peter Pujals (sp) not quite the same as LAAngels DH.
Didnt see wake and duke but it had to be pretty good to beat Navy / U Conn. Middies give up 21 pt lead in a game loaded with big plays, including fumble return of about 80 yards by U Conn. Navy regained lead late and then survived as U Conn drove to the 1 yard line w 2nd and goal , 17 seconds to play. In another of those terrible coaching boo boos, Huskies - who had done great damage through the air behind QB ( I am dreadful on names, begins with a ' S ' and has two f's ) run it straight up the middle, get stuffed, and time runs out. U Conn kids deserved better from their coach and I lucked out with a push.
Army is way better this year.

That was a great drive by the Utes. I kept yelling at Wittingham to grab his balls on that 4th and inches play. That drive, those players deserved that 4th down conversion. Of course the coach would say if they don't get it then they have a better chance of losing. That game was INTENSE!

Agree on WF. Don't think I would've liked it as much if I weren't on the Deac's side, but yeah, Hinton needs to QB the rest of the year...and Carney's still running right up the gut of that Blue Devil DL. Not sure when they have run for that many yards, they definitely ran for more yards than they did in any other game last year. The O was lost week 1 vs Tulane, I think they may have found something now and a couple winnable games coming up.
I learned true freshman Zack Moss will be Utah's starter at RB sooner rather than later. He missed a ton of fall camp due to a minor leg injury and isn't in shape yet but when he is, watch out. I don't know what kind of football they play in Florida HS but that dude is legit. I also agree with not going for it on that play but if they don't get it for some reason and lose on that TD everyone questions why they didn't kick it.

More disappointing was Joe Williams not recognizing where he needed to be for the first and simply running out of bounds, if he literally lowers a shoulder and falls forward it's a first down. Moss will overtake him soon.

My BIL is a huge UK fan, he's already mailed this season in. He said they should go after Brohm but I asked him why he would ever consider that dumpster fire. Stoops is the most over rated name in coaching, IMHO.

My BIL is a huge UK fan, he's already mailed this season in. He said they should go after Brohm but I asked him why he would ever consider that dumpster fire. Stoops is the most over rated name in coaching, IMHO.

Agree. I still personally respect Bob, but everyone knows he isn't what he used to be. Mike and Mark are a different story. Bob hiring Mike after Venebles left wasn't a wise move.

stoopsrubble_zps91dbecb6.jpg

Simmie Cobbs, Indiana's #1 receiver from 2015, may require surgery on an injured ankle sustained vs Ball St.

FSU's Derwin James will have MRI on left knee. James was injured making a tackle in the 3rd qrt.

FSU's Derwin James will have MRI on left knee. James was injured making a tackle in the 3rd qrt.

This will have a huge impact on the game. He was responsible for shadowing LJ in the game last season and with the bevy of miscues and confusion they're having in the secondary this loss would be magnified even more. No doubt they have talent behind him but this guy is special and will be a huge loss

Check status of Utah St RB Devante Mays. Mays ran for 1000y in '15 and had over 200y week 1, but was injured 3rd qrt vs USC and was later on crutches.

BGSU can't run the ball. 90 yards on 33 attempts vs North Dakota. MAC All Conference LT Jacob Bennett is out for the year (fall camp injury had 42 career starts).

BGSU also has kicking issues...missed an xpt and 30y FG vs ND. Didn't kick a 39y FG against Ohio St because coach said it was a little out of their range.

Ryan Higgins returned for LaTech (suspended opener at Ark). Threw for 409 and 4 TD vs South Car State.

Charlotte RB Kalif Phillips left 1st qrt with hamstring injury, questionable this week. Without Phillips Charlotte used tr frosh Robert Washington and Benjamin LeMay. QB Kevin Olson left the game early 3rd qrt with a shoulder injury, but that is believed to be a precautionary move. For what it's worth Elon QB threw for career high 322y.

unimportant things that I want to say

You cannot convince me that coaches do not know the spread. 38-3 bama late laying 28 for most people 29 for the unlucky and 27/27.5 for the kickoff bettors, fumbles it away while running out the clock and Saban gets furious. Really furious. Oregon up 44-26 runs plays instead of taking knees. On the last play the running back breaks it for a covering TD. Wait .... there is a penalty on Oregon. Oregon coach throws a fit as they run the clock out the next play. They were the victims of a lot of penalties in the game so maybe he was mad at the refs but no knees, break a run for a cover and then getting angry as it is called back is telling.

Targeting or hitting a defenseless player has gotten even worse. I saw several plays where the ball is meeting the receiver, the defender lowers his shoulder into the player (like he is taught because he cannot go after the opponents head and he cannot use his own helmet) to dislodge it. Must have been 5 of these that I saw that were just awful calls.

Fast snap pace offensive coordinators are ruining the sport of football. If you watched TT down in the desert and enjoyed it without an over ticket you are a sick person.

More important things

California offense will continue to get better. You could see the strides the offense made between the Hawaii game and the sdsu game. hawaii did a much better job defending the offense than SDSU did and it is not because they have a better defense. Webb looked more comfortable and the bears utilized more of the playbook.

Washington State is the best 0-2 team in the country. Should see value with them in the coming weeks if market doesn't give them credit

NCST is running plays at a faster pace this season, for you totals bettors

Penn state defensive line is much worse than last few years. They suffered a few injuries in the pitt game but I was fooled by their performance against kent st (who scored 17 in regulation against North Carolina A & T loss). They are smaller, slower, not as tough. They got pushed around in a very meaningful way. On the same note, Pitt offensive line looked decent.

Hare NIU got hurt again late in the USF game. Check status.

Missouri will likely struggle in conference play. They are running slightly better offense but just a lot faster. Defense has taken a big step backwards from last years dominant squad. Not sure this is going to pan out well for them this year in the SEC. QB appeared to make strides but it was EMU

Nice performance by UNLV. Better than final score indicates.

Great post.....and yes. The Tex Tech thing and the other ilk....it ain't ball
(I am sure someone will come in here and bang on LSU, bang away)

But clown is right

Also, good info here. Thanks.

A few things:

You are crazy if you lay points against Arkansas (Alabama excepted of course).

That Kentucky performance was almost as feeble as Colorado State looked in Week 1.

TJ Logan is fast.

Is it me, or does it seem like teams that have the stones to throw the ball deep down the middle of the field(seam) usually get rewarded, due to the fact that very few of these college kids can cover? It's mind boggling to me, despite this fact, that many college teams completely reject the idea of going north and south.

Just to add to a few points already made..

Tx Tech is worst defense from a power 5 school I've ever seen. Tackling is non-existent - inability to play pass defense - no pass rush - no size. This unit cant even be helped with scheming/game- planning.

Pitt's OL - on an NFL.com preseason analysis, LT Adam Bisnowaty ranked 1 among tackles and LG Dorian Johnson ranked only behind Indiana G Feeney - Pitt has deficiencies in the secondary and QB Peterman is a game mgr who wont win a game on his own but if Pitt's OL stays healthy, that unit will be a plus for them vs anyone they play.

Had a medium bet on TTU / ASU Over 1H. Easy. 2H line popped up at 44 1/2. Hammered it over. Had to sweat a little in the 4Q when ASU had put it out of reach.
Great for me but basically arena football.

Texas Tech leading tackler got injured and won't be playing in this weeks game. Not sure they have anyone on the bench who can replace his two tackles.

No one was injured, the above is a joke.

Back