What did we learn in NFL Week 1?

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
The Lions can suck my n*ts.

Yeah, it's the first game, and we shouldn't overreact. But really. I mean, really.

Maybe they overcome this, but what a complete bunch of horses**t.

[/end mini-rant]

Oh, and, nice effort Cleveland. Maybe I should blame myself for not being able to watch even a second of the game. And maybe this is a good thing because we'll get plus-money for next week.

But, just, well, ugh.

(I suppose this is just turning into a venting thread)

fuck the Dolphins for giving up a td on 4th n 13 and than not tying it up at the end, fuckin bastards cost me a big parlay

Thought Browns looked much better in the 2nd H especially on defense though they had no answer for M. Barber III or Felix Jones. Edwards dropped a huge 1st H TD pass IMO...

Philly and Dallas I think we should tip our hats to they played alot better then CLE and STL played poorly IMO...not that those losers played well just didnt seem like they stood a chance and of course the 2 STRANGEST and STRONGEST line moves this week ....HINT < HINT ....

Cincy no real suprise IMO . I dont think there offense played well last season and you have shed Rudi Johnson for Chrs Perry which I never liked Rudi but Perry has alot to prove to even to get to his level. The stud WRs were banged up in the preseason but really there lack of #3 WR and passing threats from the TE and backs has stalled this offenisvly badly IMO....

Little suprised by the DET game but not shocked because it was one damn popular play . I would have expected alot less love for DET but I guess they caught some eyes in the preseason and some buzz . Plus Matt Ryan did what he did wel n college throw the ball deep and well so much for that OL Michael Turner fucking beast !

Week 2 LINES :

Giants -9 @ Rams ????

STL may have lost Drew Bennett for awhile and believe Leonard Little exited with an injury . As well as the corner being benched who was covering DeSaun Jackson (Tye Hill???)

I dont know if I would say STL is worse then WASH and NYG would certainly not being laying -9 at the Skins.....

Looks like a huge overreaction....

Out of sync Hawks laying -9 vs SF?? Niners did some good thinsg but unraveled in the 2nd H to a better team. Of course O'Sullivan's 1st road start is scary ....

Texans -4.5 already on the move from the open. Offense struggled at home this week only gets tougher on the road and think Texans have more offensive firepower then Cincy ......

Cle +6 home dog ? Pitt is not Dallas .....as I said they played better and Dallas fought hard to move the ball and score in the 2nd H ...Crenel kicks a FG down 3 TDs interesting..

Over 47 Dallas and Philly ...Boys defense was okay ....so gimme +7 as well at the moment ..

Pats +3.5 ??? I know Brady is done but cant be excited about the JETS performance in Miami ...pennington nearly won it and Favre throw a hail maryish TD on 4th an dlong with no kicker .......

Skins offense a work in progress not usre home field edge helps the QB who is ill fitted for the WEST COAST OFFENSE or the offense that is ill designed for the current starting Skins QB...hint , hint ....

Game of the WEEK ...

Bears @ Panthers ...the HUGE UPSETS square off.

Could be some value in DET if GB rolls Minny on MNF.......

Lots of INJURIES --
Brady , VY and Croyle (good thing for KC IMO) all out !!

Thoughts..??:cheers:

Also JAGS OL could have issues ...

had one shot last week and not sure what his status is or of he played this week

Guards Williams and Manuai injured today and Williams didnt even play today tearing a muscle in warmups !

Expect over reaction on Rams egg.. Avery should be back next week- he is a stud-- maybe fastest guy in NFL -- will look to play Rams if they get a big number.. That one sticks out.. Comments coming out of Ram lockeroom was one of embarrassment and "we ain't going to be a 3-13 team again".. Expect huge effort from Rams next week..

Checking out a few other things..:cheers:

You think that bit with Crenel is bad. Mangina took the ball out of Favre's hands late in Miami. Almost cost them the game.

Some big Dogs have my attn.. 49ers.. Rams will be top unit play possibly.. Again, Giants will come soft and Rams will be desparate.. Actually probably play the ram dog ml..

I learned that a few teams already are figuring who they will draft with a top 5 pick. No shit.

Which teams? The key is to separate those that are truely bad and those that just got off to a bad start.. I think the 9 ers are pretty good for example..

The more I try to get out, the more they pull me back in.

=)

More tomorrow as this is the first-ever post from Joe's iPhone.

te's are owning this league

:4_12_12:

Just because your squad has some third-rate wideouts and the TE's are a better receving core then them.....

doesnt mean "te's are owning this league"

marty booker was not even cutting it for the pathetic assed fins and the bears welcomed him back:36_11_6:

that is still some funny assed shit

I learned that the Lions defense is crap (as if we didn't already know). But to give up 300+ yards running alone, then let a rookie qb in his first game off the hook, they're in for a long season.

Also, the not only did the Bengals defense look shitty, so did the offense. They also let a rookie qb off the hook in his first game, and Palmer looks scared and tentative.

Also got reaffirmed, Vince Young still sucks. He can't throw the ball. I think they play better with Kerry Collins.

Also how bout the Bears. Without the cancer Cedric Benson, the offense clicked better. Throw in the "no mistake" play of Kyle Orton instead of the turnover prone Grossman and they can make some noise.

I learned that the Lions defense is crap (as if we didn't already know). But to give up 300+ yards running alone, then let a rookie qb in his first game off the hook, they're in for a long season.

Also, the not only did the Bengals defense look shitty, so did the offense. They also let a rookie qb off the hook in his first game, and Palmer looks scared and tentative.

Also got reaffirmed, Vince Young still sucks. He can't throw the ball. I think they play better with Kerry Collins.

Also how bout the Bears. Without the cancer Cedric Benson, the offense clicked better. Throw in the "no mistake" play of Kyle Orton instead of the turnover prone Grossman and they can make some noise.

good observations... One thing I learned in the NFL -- after week one assume everyone who looked bad , will be better and everyone who looked great will look worse-- in week two.. Of course some teams do not follow that rule which is the key.. For example are the Rams really that bad? Is Bulger really washed up? Is Steven Jackson really a pussy?

I wonder.. Would like to hear other thoughts in here.. Which teams that suck have a great chance to bounce back.. Week 1 to 2 lines always overreact.

Bad teams ...??

I think we can identify some bad offenses or overrated offenses...

#1 overrated offense IMO is the Bengals . Dont see how until Henry comes back there is a chance that changes in the next month although did not look at there schedule.

Miami and Bears strong running games and TE's but serious lack of playmakers @ WRs are gonna cause trouble....

Ravens with Flacco at QB probably qualify as a bad offense but in his defense McGahee satout today though his replacements were fine ......

#2 overrated offense Seattle? Hasselback another QB who didnt get any preseaon work , once had a stable of WR's lost disappointing Nate Burleson today lthough D. Branch could be back in the mix soon but at what level? , just seems like the capable WRs , TE's and RBs they had over the years are gone and yes the OL losses have something to do with it ..Morris was hurt as well today ....

Titans offensecould be underrated if Collins steps in and plays well . VY has been a disaster since his rookie season ...Michael Vick looks like Steve Young compared to VY's passing game ..Chris Johnson ran well today ....

Overrated offense -- Jets ?? they are a wok in progress but Jones played well...Coles hurt all preseason and Favre getting used to his new teammates and offense..Coles and Cotchery nice possession WRs but little else and not much else from the others in the passsing game...so despite and upgraded OL and QB the playmakers IMO are vanilla in NYJ....

Overrated offense -- SD? Just not ebough progression from Rivers IMO yet , LT is a beast but he needs to get more screen passes and dump off like he used to when he was there only weapon...gates just never seems 100% , Chambers solid WR and V.Jackson decent but again little else from the WRs...

Skins offense and QB not suited for eachother mean something has to change..

FWIW ....
Rams +7 or better and that ML seem like GREAT value..not sure NYG should be -3 here let alone better then a TD.....

Niners +9 is of interest with dinged up SEATTLE but worry about giveaway with O'Sullivan at SEATTLE with that home field edge..

TB vs ATL should be interesting because Turner probably will have a much tougher time running vs TB and the OL which was doubted plays in unfriendly confines now...

Would probably lay up to 6 with the Texans as the Ravens offense will struggle this week...

Phins and cards shpuld be interesting ...dont think Cards did anything special today really after the 1st Q just didnt beat themselves and snuck by an inferior team ...thought Pennintgon looked great late in the 2nd H...2 solid RBs and TEs with Ginn is the return game ...+7.5 might be interesting

Also starting to love the Browns ...huge rivalry ...primetime game to make amends for todays disgusting 1st H effort and attractive home pup on primetime.....Stallworth didnt play and a big absence as he gives DA another option and takes the pressure of Edwards

good observations... One thing I learned in the NFL -- after week one assume everyone who looked bad , will be better and everyone who looked great will look worse-- in week two.. Of course some teams do not follow that rule which is the key.. For example are the Rams really that bad? Is Bulger really washed up? Is Steven Jackson really a pussy?

I wonder.. Would like to hear other thoughts in here.. Which teams that suck have a great chance to bounce back.. Week 1 to 2 lines always overreact.

I think you got it right. I think the Rams bounce back next week with the home crowd backing them up. You still got playmakers in Holt and Jackson to get things done. Plus you have the added bonus of 9 pts I believe is the current line, which should go down due to the over-reaction.

detroit and seattle will be the best road fades this season, bank on it

gotta utilize it before linesmakers starting adjusting to this though.... im fading both almost blindly until they do

te's are owning this league

:4_12_12:

Just because your squad has some third-rate wideouts and the TE's are a better receving core then them.....

doesnt mean "te's are owning this league"

dude i can care less what the bears do in terms of winning and losing unless i bet on or agraint them. mcnabb is prolly my favorite player in the league and i benched him today for romo and bet the rams.

teams who targeted their te often. If their team won i bolded em.

rosario (Car)
royal (buf)
fasano (mia) --- lost by 6
gates (sd) --- lost by 2
witten (dal)
mcmichael (stl)
lj smith (phi)
scaife (ten)
gonzalez (kc) ---- lost by 7
shockey (no)

Bears were in a great spot here ...they had SB revenge and they played them tiht for a half back then ...truth is Colts had 2 OL out includin Saturday starting center , they lost Dallas Clark really there key mismatch on offense very early (so glad I drafted him in fantasy ) , Peyton Manning didnt play 1 snap of football all preseason and may havefaced the top NFL defense but certainly a top 5 defense ...

To sum it up Bears did enough on offense and there defense held in the red zone early in the game.....

Would not lay many points with this team as always an attractive dog or small fav...if Carolina is -3 or less would probably take the Panthers at home ...:cheers:

other notes...

arizona defense lot better with adrian wilson at safety
seattle bad oline, bad team
miami may have had a shot to win the game but they didnt impress me at all.
kc oline still a mess
jacksonville wont make playoffs let alone win 8 games from the looks of it. zero pass rush. cant run or stop it. garrard forcing throws trying to do too much. things he didnt have to do last year.
houston is a mess. they couldnt get to big ben and they couldnt stop or solve the zone blitz. they had 17 pts at games end on offense but 14 came in 4q when game had been long over.
phila defense is real real fast. offense maybe faster. mcnabb is back to 100%. he can move again. But more importantly he can read defense like the best in the game because of his injury forced him to last year so heavily because he couldnt move.

dude i can care less what the bears do in terms of winning and losing unless i bet on or agraint them. mcnabb is prolly my favorite player in the league and i benched him today for romo and bet the rams.

teams who targeted their te often. If their team won i bolded em.

rosario (Car)
royal (buf)
fasano (mia) --- lost by 6
gates (sd) --- lost by 2
witten (dal)
mcmichael (stl)
lj smith (phi)
scaife (ten)
gonzalez (kc) ---- lost by 7
shockey (no)

With the lack of playmakers at WR and even RB TEs are becoming more important although this season there seems to be a great infusion of young RBs..

Also see David Martin's catches @ Miami the Phins really utilized there TEs and makes sense when Pennington is your QB but NYJ never really had much at the position .....

Nice to see McMichael get involved but I think that had alot to do with Drew Bennett going down and some good corners on Philly ...

Al Saunders couldnt get Santana the ball last year in Washington and Holt did nothing today. May have been the trio of cbs for phila. May have also been Al Saunders playcalling.

other notes...

arizona defense lot better with adrian wilson at safety
seattle bad oline, bad team
miami may have had a shot to win the game but they didnt impress me at all.
kc oline still a mess
jacksonville wont make playoffs let alone win 8 games from the looks of it. zero pass rush. can run or stop it. garrard forcing throws trying to do too much. things he didnt have to do last year.
houston is a mess. they couldnt get to big ben and they couldnt stop or solve the zone blitz. they had 17 pts at games end on offense but 14 came in 4q when game had been long over.
phila defense is real real fast. offense maybe faster.

Miami impressed me for a 1-15 team facing a team with expectations...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblhead2><TH colSpan=6>4th Quarter </TH></TR><TR class=ysptblhead3><TH>Start
Time
</TH><TH>Time
Poss
</TH><TH>Drive
Began
</TH><TH># of
Plays
</TH><TH>Yards
Gained
</TH><TH vAlign=top>Result</TH></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=c>12:11</TD><TD class=c>3:08</TD><TD class=c>MIA 42</TD><TD class=c>8</TD><TD class=c>56</TD><TD class=c>Downs</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=c>6:48</TD><TD class=c>3:21</TD><TD class=c>MIA 47</TD><TD class=c>8</TD><TD class=c>53</TD><TD class=c>TD</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=c>1:43</TD><TD class=c>1:38</TD><TD class=c>MIA 39</TD><TD class=c>8</TD><TD class=c>43</TD><TD class=c>Int

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So cant say NYJ defense was tired as it was on the field for just 40 plays through 3 quarters and 11 came on 1 drive ..true NY had the missed FG when Nugent got hurt and Favre fumbled late and deep in Miami territory but that 4th and 13 TD pass IMO washes that out . What if Miami doesnt stall on the 2 yd line or has an extra minute on the last drive??

Difference really was Jets offense has more talent and that talent made key plays in crucial spots ...

Texans did play bad but @ Pitt is a tough place to play still think they have some positives and can just brush it off as a bad day especiall knowing how BALTs defense usually nosedives on the road compared to home play..

Philly looked legit and what they have lacked is 1 more playmaker and Jackson filled it today..if they added Samuel in the offseason and could afford to cut McDougle you know that defense is good....

:cheers:

Al Saunders couldnt get Santana the ball last year in Washington and Holt did nothing today. May have been the trio of cbs for phila. May have also been Al Saunders playcalling.

Possibly not his fault though and we know the ground game is his forte . Holt 100%?? Doubt it . Bruce gone and Bennett in ..he lasted 5 minutes ...already lost Curtis to Philly last season ...so no depth at WR ...McMichael picked it up.....

Think Philly's early explosion put Bulger in drop back and pass mode and besides Philly being able to hurry him in that situation they just dont have an offense that is suited for a great pass offense .....its gonna start and end with Stephen Jackson IMO...:cheers:

What Alex has learned

Cinci/Baltimore

Something ive known for a while is that Carson Palmer is probably the most overrated QB in the league. This guy has been rated the 3rd best QB in the league by the ESPN type experts and Ive never understood why. Hes put up good numbers, but so does Ricky Davis. He has only gotten his team to one playoff year. Hes only been +.500 one time in his career, and he is not very clutch at all. But I was shocked at how poorly this offense played and how great Flacco played, but im happy for them. Chad Johnson wasnt even existant in this game, 1 catch for 22 yards? thats a joke. This is gonna be a very long year for the Bengals and their fans.

Jets/Miami - Both these teams are probably improved, but just average IMO. I still hate Brett

KC/England - KC was fucked before the game, but Patriots are fucked now too. Not sure why Herm Edwards is considered a good coach, he sucks, and I cant remember the last time hes had a winning season. Patriots are deffinatly in trouble.

Texans/Pittsburgh - An impressive showing by the Steelers but this isnt what we will see all season. The offense will slow down, Big Ben only had 1 incomplete pass and Willie Parker will also. Mendenhall will eqaul Davenport's production last year probably. The key to this game was the defense. Texan's dont have one, it was pathetic. They missed a ton of tackles, they let Hines Ward run free, they put literally no pressure on Roethlisbuger. While this Steelers D just looked insanely good. Look out of this name guys, Lamaar Woodley, he is going to be very good and a pro-bowler without doubt. We drafted him in the second round last year, and he is the all time sacks leader at Michigan. He was great last year in the preseason, but they didnt use him, this year they decided to put him. If Smith, Harrison and Hampton all stay healthy, this defense is gonna very good, and Polomalu is also very important to stay healthy because god knows that Anthony Smith/Ryan Clark wont stop shit.

Jax/Tennessee - I wasnt sure about either of these teams to be honest, and neither offenses really impressed me from what I saw. Jacksonville blew a ton of opportunities, so I think they will be better then what they were today. Without Vince Young, I dont really think this team is in trouble, Kerry Collins has it in him to be a good player

Detroit/Atl - Detroit is terrible, they let Matt Ryan piss on them. Micheal Turner is a stud

Seattle/Buffalo - I dont know how Seattle has stayed as good as it has been for a while, I guess because they are in a shitty division. Buffalo can have potential to be great this season. If Edwards plays like he did today, this could be a playoff team, maybe a division winning team.

TB/NO - Good game, Reggie Bush might have a good year. New Orleans isnt starting out 0-4. This division might very competitive

Rams/Eagles - That the rams have learned anything. This team should be so much better then 3 points. I didnt watch a minute of this game, but im sure Mcnabb looked unbeatable. Granted that Mcnabb stays injury free this season, this could be a playoff team

Dallas/Cleveland - Pretty much nothing, this game didnt suprise me at all. Cleveland didnt do a thing to improve this defense and Dallas had no trouble all game. Cleveland is gonna suck this year, mark my words put them in stone. Steelers are gonna blow them out into submission next week.

Carolina/SD - Not sure what to think of this, had Carolina in the game but have my SD Future pick. Not worried yet. I think Carolina will be very good. The Muhammad acquirement was huge. Delhomme has always put up good numbers with him. In fact Delhomme made his career. Delhomme is the reason Chicago gave him so much money. When Smith returns this could be a very good offensive team with Hackett-Smith-Muhammad at WR. Williams and Stewart as a 1-2 punch. As long as everyone stays healthy this is a good team.

Arizona/SF - Nothing really, no suprises, but Warner should probably stay the starting QB and Mike Nolan should probably be fired.

Chicago/Indy - I dont know what to make of it, could Chicago be on the road for a good year?

My Cowboys will be the most overhyped team all year, they're a really good team but they still have their flaws esp on defense and 7.5 is way too much to give next week

Which teams? The key is to separate those that are truely bad and those that just got off to a bad start.. I think the 9 ers are pretty good for example..

Here we go with bad teams imo.

Ravens
49ers
Lions
Falcons
Dolphins
Rams

I think the Rams are a bad team.They may not be 3-13 this season but actually 5-11. Teedub I got to disagree that they may be good because I really think they are shit.Now ATS they might be decent with some inflated lines we can exploit.

Ravens are a bad team.They have a defense but its aging and it won't be able to hold up all season for a sluggish Offense.

49ers - JT enough said.Like the guy but he is not a starter in this league for 16 games and neither is Smith.They have the puzzle almost complete but its still a work in progress until they find a QB.

Lions have no defense and I mean none. My Saints were pretty pathetic last season defensively and I think this team is worse.

Falcons are another. Yeah they had a win today but it was against the Lions. They will be good in a couple of years but not this one.Give Ryan some time to grow and learn and they will be right there again.

Dolphins are rebuilding. They have the running backs but need a QB.Pennington is a guy with heart no doubt but he just can't carry this Dolphin team who lacks weapons offensively.Give this team another year or 2 and a QB who can lead the way and they will be back in the mix.

The NFL is an every changing beast. Teams that are good last year may be good, or the way it works is just may not have it this year. ONce a team gets a major injury sometimes they pack it in for the year. Interesting to see how the Pats rebound from their injury to BRady--

Personally I think Cincy is the most overrated team in football. Their offense is very bad, they may get some home wins but are an easy bet on the road----

Seattle is getting worse I believe-- THis team will not be that great--

Buffalo I believe can be better and improve this year--

Carolina will be a better team this year, probably a lot better than people expect--

Bears are decent but will lose to any team that can stop their RUN, and force them to throw--

I think VIKINGS may be good this year with thier Stacked D---

Cowboys O line is amazing they have all day to throw--

For me from now on when I see teams and QB's like Rivers favored by -10 I am going big vs them---

As far as the RAMS next week catching maynbe +7, the problem is they are a bad team, and I would try Moneyline or not touch it, it is possible they lose because one rule is never ask a bad team to cover for you and win-- Although I agree wiht the play I dont think its a huge play cause its the RAMS--

I will look to take Dallas vs any team with a weak pass rush, they give ROMO 2 hours in the pocket to throw, unless a blitzing team faces them they will move it all day like they did vs CLEVELAND--

Giants IMO are overrated--

Chargers have a good D, but are not that great on O, they can score a lot when they run all over teams, they have put up 40+ in the past vs teams with the run--

I think pITTS will be goood this year and win that division easy

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but always enjoy this thread. I'll throw my two cents in on some of these.

SportsNut hit the nail right on the head in DC. Jason Campbell is exactly the opposite of what a QB in Jim Zorn's system should be. He's slow, makes no quick reads, stares down receivers, and isn't capable of the quick drop, slant passes. Ironically, COlt Brennan (a guy I never liked much) is pretty close to the ideal QB (in thoery) for Zorn's offense. It will be interesting to see how long they let Campbell stick around. Todd Collins had value last year because he'd learned Saunders system for years in KC. He won't be the same guy in this offense.....
Washington can't stop the run. The Giants could have run Brandon Jacobs for 8 yards every play on Thursday if they wanted to. The Saints really aren't a team that is built to run over you with Bush carrying the ball. Should be interesting to see what happens here on Sun......

Washington laying 1 point at home is certainly sticking out at me. Portis will run on the Saints, and if Campbell has time to pass this won't be a replay of last week.

Miami will be better than they showed yesterday. Things started to happen in the second half and once this offense has more time to play together, they can be a middle of the pack 8-8 team.

Sammy - I agree with you on the Bears. Good run defenses that make Orton throw the ball will beat CHI, and cover.

Cincy is looking like the team that burned up cash like a furnace about 5 years ago. Unbettable. But I will be ready to fade Balt on the road. Inexperienced team and fading defense.

Dallas looks very good. I think they beat a decent Browns team, and will take the cash next Monday vs. the Iggles. Philly won't be as good as they appeared yesterday. Everything fell in place for them. They won't be able to blitz like that against the Boys recievers, and if they don't blitz Romo will have too much time and eat them alive.

I look for an easy cover from Dallas this week, and one that fucks up all the Philly teasers.

I love these types of thread; great idea, Joe P.

What I learned...
  • Jason Campbell is not progressing as a QB. This is evident by Randle El being targeted more than any WR/TE. Campbell is not able to look down the field while in the pocket, so he consistently throws underneath/short. This is good news for the Saints in week two, as they are currently +1 and I like the over in Saints/Skins as well at 43.5
  • Manning will be looking to throw more this season. Well, I shouldn't jump to this conclusion just yet. I'm sure he likes having Harrison back and Gonzales adds an extra out for him, but without Jeff Saturday and falling behind early, this could be the reason for the Colts pass heavy attack. Addai will have a letdown season; this is a guarantee. I should go to jail for what I do to men's careers when I draft them on my fantasy team. You think Madden puts a curse on players? Madden doesn't have shit on me. I single handedly ended Bledsoe and Plummer's careers, and I made Rudi Johnson dispensable to Cincy. All bad beat rantings aside, it does seem as though Rhodes will eat into Addai's carries, and could possibly take away from Addai's goal line carries.
  • The Saints offense will remain the same -- pass heavy and potent. Brees is money in the bank and could finish as the best QB this season. NO's OL is much better suited to pass block than run block, which is fine by Sean Payton because he doesn't know what running the ball means. Brees still has Colston and Patten, Meachem is a young fast talent, Shockey will be targeted often (I promise), and Bush on screens will be called throughout the season.
  • People should not be surprised by Michael Turner's debut. Of course, he will not get 220 yds and 2 TD's every week, but Atlanta has been one of the best at gaining rushing yards over the last three years (Oakland had the most rushing attempts last yr). Atlanta will likely still bottom feed in the NFC South, but that doesn't mean opponents will not see a heavy dose of Turner.
  • Cincinnati is in for a long season.
  • Tampa wants to play smash mouth football, so look for good under spots.
  • Carolina is a team with talent, a good foundation, and a good coach. Their success this season should not come as a surprise.
  • I look for NYG's passing offense to sputter in mid season once teams double cover Plax. Toomer has experience, and Boss may have a bright future, but NYG has the best run blocking OL in the NFL so I expect a heavy dose of Brandon Jacobs and crew this season.
  • New England will be underrated this season. Brady is out, yes this is a huge loss, but do people actually expect Belichick to lose? I didn't want to see this happen to Brady, but at least now I can bet on the Pats.

Little late to the party, but here we go.

One thing I can tell you is the league maybe changing this year and the next couple of years.

Cincy is bad, as many have said fade these guys on the road. After Sundays beatdown, I expect to play them in a bounceback game getting anything less than a TD.

Dallas looked good, that mix of Jones/Barber is amazing. Romo looked and felt more confident than ever. I think the Captain cool nickname may be transferred to him.

Bears D when healthy will be a top 3 D in this league. Peyton was quite rusty last night, but that D has something to prove. I think they know there offense wont put up a ton of points, so they know they have to play. The Bears D has zero distractions this year...they are healthy right now, and they are all paid.

San Diego. If you can stop the big plays, and stop LT,you can beat this team.

Jets Favre looked like Favre, but they barely beat the Dolphins.

Dolphins are def. better than last year

Det fuck Det

I love these types of thread; great idea, Joe P.

What I learned...
  • Jason Campbell is not progressing as a QB. This is evident by Randle El being targeted more than any WR/TE. Campbell is not able to look down the field while in the pocket, so he consistently throws underneath/short. This is good news for the Saints in week two, as they are currently +1 and I like the over in Saints/Skins as well at 43.5
  • Manning will be looking to throw more this season. Well, I shouldn't jump to this conclusion just yet. I'm sure he likes having Harrison back and Gonzales adds an extra out for him, but without Jeff Saturday and falling behind early, this could be the reason for the Colts pass heavy attack. Addai will have a letdown season; this is a guarantee. I should go to jail for what I do to men's careers when I draft them on my fantasy team. You think Madden puts a curse on players? Madden doesn't have shit on me. I single handedly ended Bledsoe and Plummer's careers, and I made Rudi Johnson dispensable to Cincy. All bad beat rantings aside, it does seem as though Rhodes will eat into Addai's carries, and could possibly take away from Addai's goal line carries.
  • The Saints offense will remain the same -- pass heavy and potent. Brees is money in the bank and could finish as the best QB this season. NO's OL is much better suited to pass block than run block, which is fine by Sean Payton because he doesn't know what running the ball means. Brees still has Colston and Patten, Meachem is a young fast talent, Shockey will be targeted often (I promise), and Bush on screens will be called throughout the season.
  • People should not be surprised by Michael Turner's debut. Of course, he will not get 220 yds and 2 TD's every week, but Atlanta has been one of the best at gaining rushing yards over the last three years (Oakland had the most rushing attempts last yr). Atlanta will likely still bottom feed in the NFC South, but that doesn't mean opponents will not see a heavy dose of Turner.
  • Cincinnati is in for a long season.
  • Tampa wants to play smash mouth football, so look for good under spots.
  • Carolina is a team with talent, a good foundation, and a good coach. Their success this season should not come as a surprise.
  • I look for NYG's passing offense to sputter in mid season once teams double cover Plax. Toomer has experience, and Boss may have a bright future, but NYG has the best run blocking OL in the NFL so I expect a heavy dose of Brandon Jacobs and crew this season.
  • New England will be underrated this season. Brady is out, yes this is a huge loss, but do people actually expect Belichick to lose? I didn't want to see this happen to Brady, but at least now I can bet on the Pats.

Blue I was thinking the same thing about the Pats. Great post

I've created a monster.

I love it.

Great thoughts, guys, particularly for someone who won't be able to see a whole lot of football for the next month and a half.

Oh, also, I always remember as some have said, people ALWAYS overreact to the first week of the season.

Tease the Browns, and take a small bite of the ML.

Back