Week of September 11th Plays and Analysis Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
12-8 +8.30 units

Made money last week but wasn't too happy with it though. Texas Tech saved the day and they got outplayed in that game. Went to the well with Wyoming and it stung several of us. What a terrible offense that team possesses. Went 2-1 on posted overs and 2-2 overall but man its hard to play an over withe college game now exactly like the NFL. Unreal. Its very unnerving watching the games. Both Ohio State and Michigan finished their games in under 3 hours. Just don't like it from a fans perspective or from a gambling perspective either. I just made made my plays after doing a lot of reading and going through boxes today. Write-ups and thoughts will come in next day or two. If I have time later I will start on them. Have a list of stuff to take care of beforehand.

Arizona -10 -110 5 units
BYU -7 -120 3 units
Georgia -7 -110 3 units
Ohio State +10.5 -110 2 units
USC -10.5 -120 2 units
Fresno St +1.5 -110 2 units
Georgia Tech +7.5 -110 2 units
Central Michigan -3 -120 2 units
Iowa -13.5 -110
Nebraska -25.5 -110
SanJoseState -6 -110
Connecticut -10 -120
Penn St -28 -110
maryland +14 -110

As always discussion, GL's and fuck you's are encouraged.:tiphat:

Last edited:
interesting picks, big al...gl this week, bro. btw, i'm loving fresno state. those boys will be up for this game for sure...

Arizona -10 -110 5 units
BYU -7 -120 3 units
Georgia -7 -110 3 units
Iowa -13.5 -110
Nebraska -25.5 -110

:shake:
you know i love jsut about everything on the card...well, except for that tOSU play. ;)
understand it though, because that's where the value is. no opinion on either iowa or nebraska, but hope u hit both.

nice looking card BAR. laying the lumber on the zona game. i like it a little bit too .. convince me to play it please.

should i say gl or fu ? gl or fu ? gl or fu ?

interesting picks, big al...gl this week, bro. btw, i'm loving fresno state. those boys will be up for this game for sure...

Absolutely. I may add to this game still. But at that number I wanted to get that amount down now.

But in all seriousness, GL with these. I'm on them too. I also like UGA and GT.

Thanks man,

UGA in my estimtion all summer was the best team in this country and I still would have them right their co-leaders with USC. Scary just has too many issues. I understand why this got driven down. It's a very low scoring series with close games in a tough venue. I just think UGA outclasses them here.

Don't think the books are catching up with GT yet. Not trying to say VT isn't good but another team that may be rotating QB's and struggled on Saturday till late. Think that was being disinterested as well but think this is a tigh game with a chance for a GT su win.

:shake:
you know i love jsut about everything on the card...well, except for that tOSU play. ;)
understand it though, because that's where the value is. no opinion on either iowa or nebraska, but hope u hit both.

I really like this USC team. They have incredible speed and Sanchez should be and looks comfortable. This line got outta control though. OSU has a dayum good defense still and te types of sqauds they struggle with have a different style than the Trojans. I expect Wells is healthy and they will try and control the clock in this game(more on this game later...)

nice looking card BAR. laying the lumber on the zona game. i like it a little bit too .. convince me to play it please.

should i say gl or fu ? gl or fu ? gl or fu ?

I really like the Zona game. I'll make that the first write-up when I get to them.

Thanks man,

UGA in my estimtion all summer was the best team in this country and I still would have them right their co-leaders with USC. Scary just has too many issues. I understand why this got driven down. It's a very low scoring series with close games in a tough venue. I just think UGA outclasses them here.

Don't think the books are catching up with GT yet. Not trying to say VT isn't good but another team that may be rotating QB's and struggled on Saturday till late. Think that was being disinterested as well but think this is a tigh game with a chance for a GT su win.

If anyone likes a double-digit dog in SEC play, it's me, but this is not the spot. SCar got bet down after the over-correction to the overreaction on Vandy +10 last Thursday. I was all about the Commodores then, but I am all about UGA now. If people want a dd dog in SEC play, look to Miss St. The cowbells, the workhorse of a RB in Starkville, the green QB for Auburn, the new OC that has yet to click with his players at Auburn, the look-ahead factor because Auburn gets LSU next week.

great pic, big al... no wonder they're projected to have a winning season this year. geesh, i cannot stand these overrated bastards. i hope your boys kick their ass this saturday.:smiley_acbe:

michigan:whip:notre dame

BOL this week BAR - like Fresno as well.

Would like to hear more on the Iowa game if you get a chance. Thanks.

Thanks man,

Bingo. Love the yellow jackets. They beat a very solid BC team last week on the road.

On BYU, Fresno State, and Georgia Tech......agree with Arizona, Ohio State

Against you on Georgia

Arizona -10 -110
5 units
BYU -7 -120 3 units
Georgia -7 -110 3 units
Iowa -13.5 -110
Nebraska -25.5 -110

Good luck!

Nicely Done last week BAR...Thought for sure id find a little ND ML in here:popcorn:...Good Luck this week Bro:cheers:

Really like BYU and that's difficult for me. That pic is funny as hell especially since they lost to AFA last year.

Good luck this week man.

Arizona -10 -110 5 units
BYU -7 -120 3 units
Georgia -7 -110 3 units
Iowa -13.5 -110
Nebraska -25.5 -110

I've been brned by New Mexico two weeks running, and they ambushed arizona a year or two back. That's all that scares me, but I'm leaning toward a zona play.
i see you have other posters playing BYU,Fresno, and
georgia tech with you.
Count me in.:shake:

Nebraska looks like a possible play for me, even though I'm a dog lover. NMSU hasn't come out of the gate yet.
A little disappointed by Nebraska's game last week ( no play , but close) Maybe this week they get it done.
I think I'll just see how that Iowa rivalry turns out.
I hope you have a big week, big guy. Guess I have to confess that does not include Georgia. I'm going with the old ball coach but I would not say that you don't have a very reasonable play in that one. cheers:cheers: bull

I wouldn't lay 13.5 to the Clones and Chizks D. Hawks QB is making his 2nd career start. Maine (149), Fla. Int. (162) have been the Hawks opponents this year. Clones have been money in the recent past of this rivalry.

Take the points or no play IMO.

GL BAR

Weis: No harm intended by comment

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Wednesday September 10, 2008, 10:55 AM

Charlie Weis said the "To hell with Michigan" comment he made earlier this year wasn't intended as a slight at all. Actually, it paid tribute to former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler, the Notre Dame coach explained during his weekly news conference.

"Anyone who is a Michigan fan should know and understand that that comment pays respect to Bo and his mentality when playing an opponent," Weis said. "As a matter of fact (Bo's son) Shemy and I had a big chuckle over this in the summer during training camp ... So take it for what it's worth. But I think that's a very respectful comment toward coach Bo's "To hell with Notre Dame.'"

Expecting three QBs
Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan have taken virtually every snap at quarterback for the Wolverines this season. But Weis said he and his team are also preparing for other guy who has lined up at the position - Carlos Brown. A junior running back, Brown rushed for 4 yards in his sole play at quarterback in Michigan's season-opening loss to Utah. Though Brown didn't see action against Miami (Ohio) because of a shoulder injury, Weis expects he'll line up behind center at times in South Bend. "I think they'll have a Carlos Brown package that we'll have to practice," Weis said.
Learning from Rodriguez
In the spring of 2007, Weis visited Rodriguez to pick up some tips about running a spread offense. At the time, Rodriguez was at West Virginia and didn't have a clue that less than two years later he'd be coaching Michigan against the Fighting Irish.
"I came back with those notes," Weis said of his discussions with Rodriguez. "I don't know how much they'll help us, but I got 'em."

Michigan safety Steve Brown presses forward

by Jeff Arnold | The Ann Arbor News Wednesday September 10, 2008, 4:13 AM

Stevie Brown's memory is short and spotless, absent of any past performances that, if drudged up, would only double-cross him.
He shrugs off mentions of his forgettable first University of Michigan career start - an outing that was cut short halfway through by an unceremonious benching.
The junior safety insists he doesn't hear the boos or see his name referenced on Internet chatboards that link him to failings in the Wolverines' pass defense.
To do so, Brown said, only impedes his progress and hopes of moving beyond the past.
"It doesn't bother me - I've got a tough skin," Brown said. "I've been yelled at ever since back in the second grade and so I've learned to take comments.
"When people say things, I just try and let it roll off and go back out there and go about my business."
A year after losing his spot in Michigan's starting defensive backfield, Brown is back in the center of everything as a starter - learning as he goes, taking the good with the bad.
Rather than dwell on the negative - like his forgettable first-half showing in last season's shocking setback against Appalachian State - Brown remains forward-looking.
His mood remains light when asked about what could have been a interception return for a touchdown against Miami (Ohio) - had Brown not allowed the ball to slip through his hands.
"I'm getting around the ball, getting in on a lot of tackles, being around the ball a lot and I like that," Brown said.
"But at the same time, I still need to catch these interceptions I keep dropping."
Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez talks of Brown in terms of being a work in progress.
He speaks of Brown's energy and his enthusiasm. And yet, knowing Brown's learning curve must soon translate to dependability, Rodriguez couches praise with a but.
"For a veteran guy, he doesn't have a whole lot of experience," Rodriguez said. "Just the recognition of some things is the biggest thing for him, but he's a guy who likes playing and he works in practice. I think he'll be fine."
Despite playing in 28 straight games, Brown still is experiencing growing pains.
He senses the need to improve his angles, putting himself in better positions to make plays. So far this season, he has 10 tackles.
Brown expects there will be ups and downs.
In the season opener, Utah converted on a post route against Brown in a third-and-18 situation.
Brown's memory momentarily clicked into rewind.
"Everybody was probably thinking: 'It's (Appalachian) State all over again,' " Brown said Monday. "But after that play, I was telling myself: 'This ain't happening no more.' "
As if Brown needs more incentive to improve, his third test this season comes Saturday at Notre Dame, which also heavily recruited Brown coming out of high school.
He will play in front of friends and family, anxious to show that he has taken strides since having his starting spot taken from him just more than a year ago.
"So far, I'm happy (with the progress)," Brown said. "But I'm still not at the point where I have proven everybody wrong."

Wins over high-profile opponents this weekend would help Big Ten's reputation

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Wednesday September 10, 2008, 4:15 AM

The Big Ten was perfect last Saturday, with all 11 teams winning on the same day for the first time in conference history.
Don't think for a minute the league wouldn't swap that unblemished record for a trio of victories this week.
Its national reputation somewhat sullied by lopsided losses in the last two national title games, the Big Ten has big opportunities Saturday. Unranked Purdue will host No. 16 Oregon, No. 11 Wisconsin will play at No. 21 Fresno State and -Â in the marquee game of the season so far - No. 5 Ohio State will take on top-ranked Southern California in Los Angeles.
"It's been so much fun watching them on film," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said during Tuesday's league teleconference. "They play with so much energy and enthusiasm and technique and togetherness. They're a fun group to watch."
But playing the Trojans may not be so pleasurable for Tressel and crew. After blowing out Virginia 52-7 in Charlottesville, USC had a week off to ready themselves for the Buckeyes (and you know coach Pete Carroll didn't waste a minute), while Ohio State won ugly against Ohio.
On the plus side for the Buckeyes, star running back Beanie Wells was cleared to play Saturday. Wells, who sat out the Ohio game with an injury to his right big toe, ran on Monday, and the coach said he was encouraged by what he saw.
Ohio State, which was beaten badly by Florida and Louisiana State in the last two championship games, hasn't played USC since 1990. A victory Saturday over the Trojans would help position the Buckeyes for a run at a third straight title berth - and make the Big Ten look a little better in the process.
"Every opportunity to take the field, you're representing your conference, along with your own school," Tressel said. "I think absolutely we feel that way."
I'm picking the Trojans, though, in this one. Carroll's a master strategist, and USC has too much offensive firepower.
As for the other games, look for Wisconsin to edge Fresno State and Purdue to drop one to the Ducks.
Outgoing Boilermaker coach Joe Tiller - who's tied with Jack Mollenkopf for career wins at the school - will have to wait for his 85th Purdue victory.
Off and running
Tailback P.J. Hill sits atop the list of the league's rushing leaders this season with 267 yards, but it doesn't take long to come upon two quarterbacks. Ranking sixth and seventh are Illinois' Juice Williams, and Indiana's Kellen Lewis, respectively. Lewis is averaging 91.5 rushing yards per game, while Williams is at 92 per game. Williams, a junior, rushed for 174 yards last week against Eastern Illinois.
Gopher grounded
Now 2-0, Minnesota has already won more games this season than it did all of 2007, and sophomore quarterback Adam Weber continues to impress. In a victory over Bowling Green last week, Weber completed 21 of 25 passes for 233 yards and three touchdowns. Not all was rosy during the win, however. The team's leading rusher, Duane Bennett, suffered a season-ending knee injury. In two games, Bennett rushed for 140 yards and caught a dozen passes for 125 yards. The Gophers will put their other backs to the test during this weekend's game against Montana State.

12-8 +8.30 units

Made money last week but wasn't too happy with it though. Texas Tech saved the day and they got outplayed in that game. Went to the well with Wyoming and it stung several of us. What a terrible offense that team possesses. Went 2-1 on posted overs and 2-2 overall but man its hard to play an over withe college game now exactly like the NFL. Unreal. Its very unnerving watching the games. Both Ohio State and Michigan finished their games in under 3 hours. Just don't like it from a fans perspective or from a gambling perspective either. I just made made my plays after doing a lot of reading and going through boxes today. Write-ups and thoughts will come in next day or two. If I have time later I will start on them. Have a list of stuff to take care of beforehand.

Arizona -10 -110 5 units
BYU -7 -120 3 units
Georgia -7 -110 3 units
Iowa -13.5 -110
Nebraska -25.5 -110

As always discussion, GL's and fuck you's are encouraged.:tiphat:

Good luck buddy. Georgia gonna tear apart the ETG's. Iowa/Iowa St? seems to be rivalry game and laying 2 td? Probably be against on this one, but should be on a few of those up top. :shake:

Should be back this afternoon with thoughts and whatnot...got some stuff to do beforehand and squeeze in a nap...

BAR and Hunt... who do we root for this weekend? Its always nice to see ohio state lose, and it would be nice if a recruit or two could be swayed from there as they are turning into a powerhouse... but another loss for a big ten team vs a non-conference power could be bad news for the conference and might end up having michigan losing future recruits.
obviously my rooting isn't going to affect the game, but who should i want to win?

You like the fact that the new mexico state wide receivers are talking smack to the nebraska wide receivers ? lol.

BAR and Hunt... who do we root for this weekend? Its always nice to see ohio state lose, and it would be nice if a recruit or two could be swayed from there as they are turning into a powerhouse... but another loss for a big ten team vs a non-conference power could be bad news for the conference and might end up having michigan losing future recruits.
obviously my rooting isn't going to affect the game, but who should i want to win?

Lloyd always recruited well out of state and RR is getting a good start in Florida, a state we have never really been able to dive in. Well, how are we going to pull kids from other power teams backyards if the conference as a whole looks like shit.

It's good long and short term for OSU to win on Saturday. I generally root for OSU to win outside of the UM and MSU games. I want every year to be like 2006 with everything on the line and feel we'll be back to that in 2-4 years.

pretty much what BAR said orange.

I always root for OSU outside of UM, just cuz imma big ten kinda guy...and I love the rivalry and respect it. I hope they are each 10-0 every year when they play....although I woulda laughed my ass off if they lost last week just cuz of how shitty Ohio is.

OSU is on a roll with recruiting right now and will be for awhile...great coach and facilities. UM has a ways to go, and is poaching 3 star talent in Florida becasue they aren't able to get the 4 and 5 stars down there yet.

Lucky to get the hedge off tOSU, had to buy down though and if OSU does cover lose 20 cents per unit.

Also added SJSU to the original post.

i was like am i seeing this correct. i saw the tOSU and USC bets and thought you just wanted to throw some money!! LOL..

Good luck man with the plays though.

Going to scramble a few things up here real quick. Sorry, my puter is being a bitch right now as well.

Added Uconn. I liked this a bit. I really like it though with a unproven QB going on road against a Uconn team that I believe will shore up their mistakes. Virginia is alful as it is and this is just not a good spot. Would be suprised if Virginia gets past 7 in this game honestly.

The New Mexico-Aggy game was 28-10 with 9 minutes or so left in 4th last week. At time the yards were pretty even. It was a ugly offensive games. The Lobos got 160 yards on those garbage time drives. Basically, another time looking at the box to look for small things. Porterie is not good and may have an undisclosed injury. Ferguson had a real nice game..but guess what...he will get partially negated this game. The reason, Arizona finally has that team it seems like we have expected for a few years now. This is a very good offense and they score well in this game. This will change the gameplan for the Lobos and they will be forced to play to their weaknesses....more on this game later.

Georgia-South Carolina play may get upped. Scary has a better defense than years past but this is a versatile, powerful UGA offense. They have one of the two best RB's in the country imo and Stafford is as solid as they come. It won't be a cakewalk on offense but UGA should be good for 27-28 points in this contest. I know lately series hasn't played that way but trends are made to be broken. Meanwhile, SC is a mess on offense. I think the old ballcoach is outsmarting himself rotating the QB's in all honesty. Receiving threat out, it's going to be very hard to score. UGA defensive players are upset with themselves for the mental lapses ending the half and opening the 2nd against Central Michigan. Love this play...28-10.

pretty much what BAR said orange.

I always root for OSU outside of UM, just cuz imma big ten kinda guy...and I love the rivalry and respect it. I hope they are each 10-0 every year when they play....although I woulda laughed my ass off if they lost last week just cuz of how shitty Ohio is.

OSU is on a roll with recruiting right now and will be for awhile...great coach and facilities. UM has a ways to go, and is poaching 3 star talent in Florida becasue they aren't able to get the 4 and 5 stars down there yet.

Couldn't agree more, only from an Ohio States fan perspective. Always root for UM except for the third week of November when I literally hate them.

:cheers:

Back