Week of September 10th-12th Discussion

I know absolutely zero about any Big Xll or ACC team. But I knew virtually zero about the teams playing this past weekend and managed to bet 5 games. So I'm sure I will be in action again.

The UAB - Miami game does seem interesting. Although I thought ESPN stopped scheduling CFB opposite NFL's season opener? I don't think UAB's QB is good enough to get it done vs a Miami D, but UAB has a pretty good OL and running game that might have some success. And UAB D is solid. Game under their belt vs first game Canes. Thought about UAB and Under, but really don't know. Wonder how good King will be down there?

So again, I know NOTHING (yet) other than what I remember from last year, but UNC laying over 3 TDs to Cuse? Cuse is that bad? Or the hype for UNC is that big?

Need to dig in and educate myself on these teams and matchups now.

It is an interesting game with a great D and a real good D. C Arky turnover scores were random and disguised the games offensive inefficiencies, but UAB still turned ball over.

King was electric at Houston. System helped a bit but he is real good with legit experience. He could make things special at the U this year.

Sorry to see Okla St./Tulsa postponed

This is one of Gundy's best teams, at least on paper. Great RB, loaded at WR, and there's true freshman WR, Brennan Presley--no relation to Elvis-- who is a future star and has looked so good in practice he's earned playing time even with all the talent they have. A little guy, but unstoppable in the open field

Their QB has had some very good games, but hasn't proved to me he is a championship caliber QB.

Defense has everyone back. And no reason they should overlook Tulsa. Bye before and after the Tulsa game and Tulsa had them on the ropes last year until Hubbard hit a long run late in the game

Syracuse is projected to rank 93. They have the worst offensive skill players in league. UNC wins by 6 touchdowns.

Bold. There is not much to really like about Syracuse. UNC likely has some vulnerabilities...not sure Syracuse would be the team to exploit them. Not a strong Orange roster and with the complications of covid on practices, not sure there is much improvement to be expected.

Still...UNC has not been a 3 TD+ fav vs ACC foe since 2012 (-24' vs Maryland, won 45-38)

Bold. There is not much to really like about Syracuse. UNC likely has some vulnerabilities...not sure Syracuse would be the team to exploit them. Not a strong Orange roster and with the complications of covid on practices, not sure there is much improvement to be expected.

Still...UNC has not been a 3 TD+ fav vs ACC foe since 2012 (-24' vs Maryland, won 45-38)

I always think of you as our Phil Steele. Hope you have a great season.

Leans this week in no particular order

UAB +14.5 - I will be on this but waiting it out as I think I could get an extra point by kickoff
GA Tech +12.5
Coastal Carolina +7 - Already hit this at the 7 was disappearing
S Bama +9 - waffling on this one and may sit it out
UTSA +9.5 - can I get a 10?

Dog heavy

I like south Alabama qb, but now everyone knows, I hope he does well here but Tulane is fundamental and deep on D. I'm thinking about laying it myself

I like south Alabama qb, but now everyone knows, I hope he does well here but Tulane is fundamental and deep on D. I'm thinking about laying it myself

Yeah I'm moving off S Alabama the more I think about it. Tulane's DL is a huge step up from what the Jags faced last week and I doubt they look as competent against it

I always think of you as our Phil Steele. Hope you have a great season.

I do use Phil's books for historical reference quite often. I'm sure it is all available somewhere on some website, but I just grab the old books and look stuff up myself.

Happy to have a season to be excited about! Site traffic is a little slow, but you're doing your part Johnny! Keep it up!

Before USA opener win, they were SP+119 and Tulane 63 with almost 17 pts of difference
Southie beat me in one of their only wins last year. I remember them being bigger than their competition(can't remember who they played).
I had no problem taking them in the first game.

ON Uab tonight, I see it's not on the telly. Rather, ACCn, which I don't get.

I tell you what, I remember going to Doak Campbel when Joe Hamilton was QB and Peter Warrick the man at FSU. The game was electric, the crowd was electric, the intensity was all time, now GTech goes into an empty Doak. It's so different. It pissss me the fuck off too.

I remember a time when Miami vs FSU was the unquestioned game of the year and now both programs are in the dumps. Miami for more than 15 years has been terrible.

Did they get any spring practice in?
How much practice have they had so far?

As for spring, Tulane opened spring camp on March 3rd. They were supposed to have 15 sessions with the spring game on the 28th. Tulane canceled football practices on March 13th. So I can't tell you how those 15 sessions were supposed to be spaced out or how many they got, but there were 10 days between when they opened spring camp and when it was canceled.

Edit - and in scanning crescent city sports Tulane football headlines , I saw no disruption to any Tulane football practices or scrimmages from hurricane or covid.

Last edited:
Scared to fade Louisville. Their offense, qb, and coach are intimidating but they have shitty d.

WKU has average o, but maturish and a great D

I tried to talk myself into wku cause like you said ville defense was really bad last year. I have to go back and see if wku played any offenses as scary as ville’s which I think really good.

I don't know how relevant this might be, but I looked to see what Satterfield's App State Year 1 to Year 2 improvement was.

He took the App State job for 2014, a year earlier App St went just 4-8. So he didn't just walk into a team that was rolling.

In year 1, the App St O made a nice jump, but the D was fairly similar to '13 except they had a big jump in sacks '13 vs '14. But then in his second year, they cut the ppg allowed from 27.3 to 19.1. The rush ypc went from 4.3 to 3.4. The sacks went from 28 to 36. Would like to drill down more on those, but just some food for thought - there may be some precedent that a Satterfield coached team can make dramatic improvement. They went from 4-8 year before him, to 7-5 in his first year to 11-2 in his second year.

I don't know how relevant this might be, but I looked to see what Satterfield's App State Year 1 to Year 2 improvement was.

He took the App State job for 2014, a year earlier App St went just 4-8. So he didn't just walk into a team that was rolling.

In year 1, the App St O made a nice jump, but the D was fairly similar to '13 except they had a big jump in sacks '13 vs '14. But then in his second year, they cut the ppg allowed from 27.3 to 19.1. The rush ypc went from 4.3 to 3.4. The sacks went from 28 to 36. Would like to drill down more on those, but just some food for thought - there may be some precedent that a Satterfield coached team can make dramatic improvement. They went from 4-8 year before him, to 7-5 in his first year to 11-2 in his second year.

good stuff..think he gonna be great at ville so i certainly buy that. not like ville doesnt get the athletes, back when strong was there they had some pretty formidable defenses!!

Kansas lost quarterback Carter Stanley, three offensive line starters (including LT Hakeem Adeniji, maybe the best player on the roster), the top three defensive linemen, leading TFLs guy Najee Stevens-McKenzie, the top two safeties and Hasan Defense, by far the team's best cornerback. I just listed almost everyone who had anything to do with the aforementioned high points

SP+ has Tulane falling off pretty card cuz they lose qb skill guys, ol pieces. Their new qb Keon Howard is very interesting. He is very experienced, athletic and will get 1st downs with his legs. He has started against Tennessee and Kentucky. Imo he looks spectacular against slightly average regular type folks. I can back Tulane with him and their D

Back