Week 9 What Have We Learned

I knew about UM‘s losses at corner, plus Ambry Thomas opting out...did not realize how drastic the cornerback situation was.

Lombardi is not the same bum who barely led Sparty to a 14-10 home win vs Rutgers in 2018

Not willing to trust Petras or Milton

Run support may be more valuable than I realized

I think Cincy could be a legit playoff contender, but people still assume that it will come down to four Power schools

I knew about UM‘s losses at corner, plus Ambry Thomas opting out...did not realize how drastic the cornerback situation was.

Lombardi is not the same bum who barely led Sparty to a 14-10 home win vs Rutgers in 2018

I think Cincy could be a legit playoff contender, but people still assume that it will come down to four Power schools
Cincy is well coached and has some nice pieces. However, they are not ready to play with the big boys.

- I watched Taulia Tagovailoa Friday night and I thought, sans being right-handed, that's his brother. I know it was only Minnesota but the pocket presence, accuracy, touch and everything else were just really good. And basically has 3 years of college left, if that comes to fruition. Just a really impressive performance, all around.
- I love Luke Fickell. Cincy is not quite there athletically to play in the FF but that's a really well coached team.
- Gutty performance by Texas but you have to win a game when the other team turns it over 4 times, give up a kickoff return for a TD and commits and roughing the punter on 4th and 21 with the game on the line. Dear lord, Gundy. (As an add, entering Saturday, Big 12 teams were 3-120 since 2004 in conference games when being outgained by 240 or more yards.)
- COVID's going to continue to wreak havoc with things. On that note, some serious intrigue this Saturday in South Bend.

Last edited:
Stetson Bennett is playing like a guy 5th on the depth chart and the other 2 guys still aren't getting a sniff. Even after the Bama loss, I gave Georgia a punchers chance to beat them in the SEC title game. But I don't see them getting there anymore. Not with Bennett.

The defense was severely banged up vs UK. I dont know if they survive Florida this week.

Mel Tucker just bought himself half a decade at least at Sparty. I know Harbs more than likely survives this unless he opts out, but he shouldn’t get that right.

OSU couldn’t be stopped from what I saw for a few. Mr Peanut to Texas USC will be a thing this offseason.

Potential openings at Mich, Texas, USC and PSU would be amazing, though one will be filled by Franklin imo.

Cincy has real shot at F4 the way things are shaking out.

Rocky is still a bum. Michigan and Rutgers d is putrid.

Rocky is still a bum. Michigan and Rutgers d is putrid.

I thought I read Vincent Gray did a good job for the most part against Rashod Bateman. I get that losing Hill and Thomas sucks tho.

And yeah Rutgers sucks. But Lombardi was really cringeworthy bad in that 2018 game. The numbers show what I mean. I‘m not saying he‘s good i‘m just saying he‘s not nearly as terrible as I thought he‘d be.

I thought I read Vincent Gray did a good job for the most part against Rashod Bateman. I get that losing Hill and Thomas sucks tho.

And yeah Rutgers sucks. But Lombardi was really cringeworthy bad in that 2018 game. The numbers show what I mean. I‘m not saying he‘s good i‘m just saying he‘s not nearly as terrible as I thought he‘d be.

Bateman torched him. 9/101. Gray is terrible.

Bateman torched him. 9/101. Gray is terrible.

6/26 in the 1H. Two chunk plays in the 2H when it was a blowout. But alright i‘ll take your word for it after yesterday. I mean Sparty receivers are not as good as some of their numbers yesterday suggest

6/26 in the 1H. Two chunk plays in the 2H when it was a blowout. But alright i‘ll take your word for it after yesterday. I mean Sparty receivers are not as good as some of their numbers yesterday suggest

Gray has no acceleration. No lateral movement. Terrible hip movement. He falls for the double move every time. He's robotic. He looks lost out there and really belongs in the MAC. They yanked him yesterday he was so bad.

Ricky White had the game of his life. I was impressed by how well msu tackled overall. Every year this is michigan state super bowl and they do it again. Harbaugh doesn't get it. He's one step behind on everything.

Ricky White had the game of his life. I was impressed by how well msu tackled overall. Every year this is michigan state super bowl and they do it again. Harbaugh doesn't get it. He's one step behind on everything.

I think 3-8 in his career vs Sparty/Buckeyes. Pretty awful also given how bad some of those Sparty teams were.

Texas survives, or should I say Herman does in a game basically gift wrapped for him. B12 has no shot now at playoff as Gundy does it again. Glad we don’t have him at LSU, but I can’t say I’m very happy with that squad right now.

You know it’s bad when the bright spot for LSU was keeping a kid from Lafayette, LA that plays defensive back, who’s uncle is Kevin Faulk(that’s on staff and coaches RB position and an LSU legend and the 1st guy to stay home in the 90s) and his cousin is Trev who also played LB for LSU to play at LSU next year and not go to Bama which was very much a threat and still is to nab him.
That same kid coulda started yesterday for LSU and I’m not kidding. You want to talk about bad. Offense, I’m not gonna pick on a kid who’s a true Freshman on his 1st road start in the SEC. I can pick on the O line which was awful. Putrid.

But let’s focus on Pelini’s defense. The D line looks like they were doing stand up practice drills. All. Game. Long.
It only gets worse from there as you go to LB and a secondary that looks lost every play....loaded with 4 and 5 star players.

LSU paid a guy that was at Youngstown St that no one wanted. And paid him way too much.
This is worse than Matt Canada situation. By far.
I can’t see him being around much longer....maybe he makes the season.

At least FLA coach gets in fights and gives the post game presser in a Darth Vader costume.
I’d take that right now.

LSU is life less

My rant Sat night in Brass's thread and some more thoughts. Disclaimer I was heavily into the rye at that point.....

The entire NC coaching staff should be summarily executed. The play call at the end of the first half with 12 sec left, was the fucking worst of all time. Longo should be beheaded for that fucking call. They are so fucking poorly coached on both sides of the ball, let Bronco just school them tonight with that fucking hybrid wildcat bullshit offense. Just terrible....

And on VA last possession of game, Stevie Wonder could have seen a fake punt was coming. NC ill prepared and not ready for that play which let VA get a first down and run the clock out. Their defense is horrible and didn't get lined up properly on multiple occasions. Mendenhall ran the bullshit hybrid wildcat offense with a robotic qb who carried it 20 times and NC never loaded up in the box and forced him to pass, just terrible. But back to the 1H call with 12 seconds left, how in the world with a qb like Howell do you possibly make that play call. Throw the ball in the end zone there, and you should have had two plays and if they fail kick the FG. To run a bullshit lateral play in that situation is the worst call in the history of sports.

Vanderbilt had been averaging 256 ypg on O coming into Ole Miss and just 8.6 ppg. Vandy had their best offensive game of the year with 421 yards and 21 pts.

Vandy's best offensive game was Ole Miss' best defensive game of the year! Ole Miss was allowing 44.6 and by yardage, it was OM's second best yardage allowed by a little, on average they were allowing 556.

Another Vandy player is out, S Donovan Kaufman who started games 1 and 2 was also their kick returner (was leading SEC in return avg). RB Ja'Veon Marlow is suspended (leading rusher, but not by a lot).

That line bout vandy best offensive game of the year also being ol piss best defensive effort was priceless. Lol

Kansas State ran just one play in WVU territory in the 2nd H until their final possession of the game with just over 1minute left. That one play they were sacked and taken back over into their own side of the field.

UNC outgained UVA 536-418 yet lost by 24-28. UVA had 20y and 30y TD drives after recovering fumbles. UNC had the ball at the UVA 2 yard line in the final seconds of the 1st H, but Howell fumbled and time expired during the recovering resulting in zero points. UVA did outrush them 210-93 and owned a 35-25 TOP edge. UVA was 4-of-4 on 4th down including a final conversion that allowed them to kill the clock.

Arkansas outgained Texas A&M 461-442, including a 222-182 rushing yard edge yet lost 31-42. Hogs had drives reach the T31, 32 and 28 yard lines result in zero points (2 missed FGs and SOD). They did back door the game with TD coming at :36 remaining.

aTm was 7-of-11 on 3rd down, Arky was just 3-of-11. Aggies put the offense away in the 4th Q with just 11 yards shown in the quarter for them.

SMU exploded for 31 2nd Q points vs Navy.

How the game spiraled out of control for Navy:

Navy scored TDs on their first two drives, then had two negative yardage plays on successive drives. A 7y loss killed one possession leading to a 3-and-out. SMU took the lead. Then next drive false start on 3rd and 3 at the S18 hampering another possession that led to a FG. It was 28-17 with :07 left in the half and Navy ran the ball outside instead of taking a knee or simply running a dive play. Navy RB fumbled at their own 25 leaving :01 on the clock allowing SMU to head to the locker room with an extra 3 pts. Navy had a promising drive to open the 3rd Q with a FD at the S36, but another negative yardage play (6y loss) would force them to punt. SMU scored again, Navy drove into SMU territory but 2 sacks again forced them to punt. SMU scored again.

SMU led 51-17, but Navy scored 3 late TDs to make the final 51-37. Navy did have a failed 2pt attempt on one of those. The line Saturday could be found at 13.5 or was briefly 14 at some outlets. The decision to go for 2 and it's failure was meaningful in a backdoor sense.

Vanderbilt had been averaging 256 ypg on O coming into Ole Miss and just 8.6 ppg. Vandy had their best offensive game of the year with 421 yards and 21 pts.

Vandy's best offensive game was Ole Miss' best defensive game of the year! Ole Miss was allowing 44.6 and by yardage, it was OM's second best yardage allowed by a little, on average they were allowing 556.

Another Vandy player is out, S Donovan Kaufman who started games 1 and 2 was also their kick returner (was leading SEC in return avg). RB Ja'Veon Marlow is suspended (leading rusher, but not by a lot).
LSU wanted Kaufman....late scholly issue. That’s a miss for LSU

Aggies are tops in the country converting almost 59% their 3rd downs, that a pretty insane number 5 games in. Their 3rd down d can boost no such success but arky 85th in the country converting 3rd downs. Razorbacks do sport a pretty solid 3rd down defense tho so gotta chalk that one up to how successful aggies are converting them. Doesn’t bode so well for the Vols tho who only converting a lowly 26% of them and allowing opponents to covert on 47% of their 3rd downs!

A week ago Rutgers was +4 TO margin. Vs Indiana they were -3. Indiana got 17 pts off turnovers...a 3p 6y TD drive, 3p 28y TD drive and a 5p 55y FG drive off the 3 INTs. IU did not turn the ball over. IU did outgain them 347-247, although Rutgers had better rushing numbers.

Miracle Rutges backdoor cover almost occurred on that amazing lateral play that was replay reviewed and called back. None-the-less that play was pretty cool!

A week ago Rutgers was +4 TO margin. Vs Indiana they were -3. Indiana got 17 pts off turnovers...a 3p 6y TD drive, 3p 28y TD drive and a 5p 55y FG drive off the 3 INTs. IU did not turn the ball over. IU did outgain them 347-247, although Rutgers had better rushing numbers.

Miracle Rutges backdoor cover almost occurred on that amazing lateral play that was replay reviewed and called back. None-the-less that play was pretty cool!

it was amazing until those Fuckin review clowns cheated me! Granted as you summed up I didn’t have much business covering but god dammit they did it! I was jumping up and down in shock as it woulda cashed 2 parlays for me. Then the dreaded review happened. Am I being biased when I say that shouldn’t have been overturned? I thought it was straight across and way to damn close to overturn it!

I needed it too, I was fully engulfed in the LaTEch game by then so when it happened live I was just kind of too surprised to even celebrate it much. I think you can see where the guy lets the ball go to where it is then touched, I think it does go forward, although there was not a perfect angle that definitively proved it. So in that sense maybe they should've let it stand, but using some judgement on what I think happened, it looked like they should've brought it back, but man that sucked.

Remember that Miami, Fl - Duke lateral play like 5 years ago? That was some BS and they let that stand.

Ohio State missed two gimmie FGs and Penn State got handed a free FG at the end of the 1st H. OSU outgained them 526-325 only won by 13. Didn't feel like that close of a game.

I needed it too, I was fully engulfed in the LaTEch game by then so when it happened live I was just kind of too surprised to even celebrate it much. I think you can see where the guy lets the ball go to where it is then touched, I think it does go forward, although there was not a perfect angle that definitively proved it. So in that sense maybe they should've let it stand, but using some judgement on what I think happened, it looked like they should've brought it back, but man that sucked.

Remember that Miami, Fl - Duke lateral play like 5 years ago? That was some BS and they let that stand.

i feel like those type things I’m almost always on wrong side of, I actually get one and fuckers take it back. Lol. Guess I’ll take your word for it, I was going so crazy when it happened I might have had to much blood rushing to my head during review while I was screaming “That was legit don’t fucking do it to me!”, lol.

I don’t recall the duke/Miami I’ll google it. Only 1 (Or 2 maybe) I really remember were both nfl And the details in both were hazy other than they both screwed me! One was a redskin game on Monday night where I think they tried that shit and other team scooped it and scored to blow cover and under! A different one involved steelers but my memory sucks on how it actually went. Some side effects they say drugs have could be accurate. Lol.

Oklahoma State outgained Texas 530-287. OSU lost 4 TOs, Texas lost 0.

Those 4 turnovers allowed Texas to begin drives at the O15, O8, O20 and T41. Texas scored on all 4 = 20 pts. Texas also ret'd a KO for TD.

Texas was averaging 482 yards coming into Stillwater. Horns O was held to just 2-of-15 3rd downs!

After you talking bout the aTm/arky game it got me looking at both teams then into Vols and man Razorbacks as short home dogs has some appeal, I don’t love Vols have dropped 3 straight games but there not much else I don’t like bout Razorbacks.

Oklahoma State outgained Texas 530-287. OSU lost 4 TOs, Texas lost 0.

Those 4 turnovers allowed Texas to begin drives at the O15, O8, O20 and T41. Texas scored on all 4 = 20 pts. Texas also ret'd a KO for TD.

Texas was averaging 482 yards coming into Stillwater. Horns O was held to just 2-of-15 3rd downs!

damn. Okie lite playing some serious d this year. Sanders threw one pick so they lost 3 fumbles? That don’t happen real often.

I lean under with osu/Kst this week but number got away from me fast, it would have to bounce back for me to play it now.

After you talking bout the aTm/arky game it got me looking at both teams then into Vols and man Razorbacks as short home dogs has some appeal, I don’t love Vols have dropped 3 straight games but there not much else I don’t like bout Razorbacks.

Yeah, you know, I think we have all had a ton of respect for what is happening in Fayetteville. I was a little reluctant to have to count on their O moving it and scoring points....some of their games the O wasn't really there (Miss St, hard to fault them vs UGA D) and even vs Ole Miss, the Ark O arguably should've done more vs them. But I think they showed me something last week. They started strong, did bog down, but never really made big mistakes that Franks had kinda become known for....some of his decisions, still questionable, so maybe he's still making the mistakes the Ds just aren't capitalizing on them.

Franks vs Guarantano? When Guarantano plays the A game, he can be good, but I'm siding with Franks this season. He has played Tennessee twice before, has a 5-1 ratio against them.

Hogs 5-0 ATS!

I guess Arkansas feels like a sucker bet...who wouldn't want Arkansas, the perceived better team, at home, vs the awful Vols. Feels like a set up, but I will probably bet them anyway.

How much does Tennessee continue to care? Arkansas has really cared a bunch this year, just such a dramatic shift from the prior year teams to this one. They are tasting success, they know the work they are doing is working. The Vols? Crushing defeat after crushing defeat the last 3. Some people say they played ok vs Bama? Maybe, they lost by 31.

damn. Okie lite playing some serious d this year. Sanders threw one pick so they lost 3 fumbles? That don’t happen real often.

I lean under with osu/Kst this week but number got away from me fast, it would have to bounce back for me to play it now.

Sanders INT, Sanders fumble, Sanders-Hubbard fumbled exchange and LD Brown fumble.

Sanders has had some turnover problems before.

Yeah, you know, I think we have all had a ton of respect for what is happening in Fayetteville. I was a little reluctant to have to count on their O moving it and scoring points....some of their games the O wasn't really there (Miss St, hard to fault them vs UGA D) and even vs Ole Miss, the Ark O arguably should've done more vs them. But I think they showed me something last week. They started strong, did bog down, but never really made big mistakes that Franks had kinda become known for....some of his decisions, still questionable, so maybe he's still making the mistakes the Ds just aren't capitalizing on them.

Franks vs Guarantano? When Guarantano plays the A game, he can be good, but I'm siding with Franks this season. He has played Tennessee twice before, has a 5-1 ratio against them.

Hogs 5-0 ATS!

I guess Arkansas feels like a sucker bet...who wouldn't want Arkansas, the perceived better team, at home, vs the awful Vols. Feels like a set up, but I will probably bet them anyway.

How much does Tennessee continue to care? Arkansas has really cared a bunch this year, just such a dramatic shift from the prior year teams to this one. They are tasting success, they know the work they are doing is working. The Vols? Crushing defeat after crushing defeat the last 3. Some people say they played ok vs Bama? Maybe, they lost by 31.

damn. I didn’t even realize they have covered every game, that gives me even more concern with what i was pointing out about Vols losing skid, perception is probably way more favorable on arky than I would like with thst kind of number. I gotta think on that and look around some, if they to popular I dunno.

Ark is 6th in the country in turnover margin, they taking it away a lot and as you said I dunno if Franks making mistakes teams not taking adv of or has cleaned his decisions up? You right the plus money on them has a little stink to it, like why? They coulda easily made them small favs here. I don’t do a lot of ncaa teasers, some weeks I take shots on 5-6-7 teamers when I like a lot of numbers for them, I think this be a week I take a shot on 1 cause there lot of favorable numbers to play a handful (or more) games getting 6 extra points! Give me +8 w ark and I don’t care what kind of sexy dog stink it might have, think that would be enough insurance. Lol

Maryland outgained Minnesota 675-453 and only won by 1, in OT. Game of runs...Mary led 14-0 then Minny scored 31 unanswered then Mary scored 17 unanswered. Mary fumbled at the 1 yard line 3rd Q after an 85y drive. There was a 3 series stretch in the 4th Q for the Gophers were they went 3-and-out twice and their other drive was only good for 5p 22y, a grand total of 23 yards in the 4th Q of Gopher O while Mary was staging comeback.

Between this afternoon and rolling along now I’m starting to get thru this card (your reviews of last week helping me jam thru bunch more!) my eyes getting tired tho! I’m not but my contacts are dry as shit!! Lol. Think I’m gonna go take them out and keep going, I’d love to have most this card done tonight and get bunch of bets put in 2marro!! (Matter a fact with all niners Covid and injuries I might use packers to try and steal a early win on that big teaser!! Can always rebet it if packers screw it up, lol).

Louisville outgained VT 548-470. VT jumped out 21-0 while LV O was punt, punt, INT amassing zero net yards on their first 3 possessions of the game! It was 21-7 when LV broke a 90y TD run as time in the half expired! 21-14 HT. VT did get back up 31-14 early 4th Q, LV chipped into the lead and the teams traded scores from there. LV gained 391y on their final 5 possessions of the game. LV did throw an INT at the V03 in the 3rd when the score was 28-14

Louisville outgained VT 548-470. VT jumped out 21-0 while LV O was punt, punt, INT amassing zero net yards on their first 3 possessions of the game! It was 21-7 when LV broke a 90y TD run as time in the half expired! 21-14 HT. VT did get back up 31-14 early 4th Q, LV chipped into the lead and the teams traded scores from there. LV gained 391y on their final 5 possessions of the game. LV did throw an INT at the V03 in the 3rd when the score was 28-14

i don’t understand hookies laying 2+ tds to liberty at all, enough so it prob will keep me away from a side but I do really like the over. I think Vtech offense is the step up in class liberty facing more so than their d. I believe liberty offense can hold its own with the teams that been lighting that bud foster-less hookie d up all year. I’m pretty confident liberty can score 30+, you would think putting 15 on top that be a lock to cover and it may be but I kinda expect hookies hang a 40 or even 50 burger. 67.5 a big number for 11am kick but I really think we see 70+ in that game. I just always worry about a sluggish start in the early kick high ass total games. If that happens have to be at casino live betting!

UAB outgained LaTech 485-381.

LaTech did blow some chances early. Opening drive kicked a FG from the AB08. UAB was INT'd at the LT26 and a 79y return LT was SOD at the AB01 (Holtz used one of those ND loaded backfield formations from the 1980s that never works these days). LT's third possession was a missed FG. Three possessions inside the UAB 30 only resulting in 3 pts! LT then got an 81y pick-six to lead 10-0! UAB got their shit together scoring back-to-back TDs (one a 75y run)...14-10. UAB was hit with an unsportsmanlike penalty and they kicked it short setting up LT at their own 47 with just 1:42 to go....UAB actually got a 100y pick-six, but they were offsides, LT would take that possession for a TD with just :19 left to lead 17-14 HT. Actually right before HT, UAB threw a hailmary that was caught for a TD! But they said the receiver did not maintain control of the ball going out of bounds and took the TD away. HT yards for UAB were 303-204. LT's O struggled mightily in the 3rd Q and UAB would get up 31-17. Yardage at the end of the 3rd Q was 419-228. A 30y TD pass got LT back in it. The 4th Q was full of defense and punts. LT was on a drive very late, 2min left, converted 3rd down 3x and got the tying TD with :10 left! OT was crazy. LT had to settle for a FG to open, surely UAB was going to score a TD. A holding penalty backed them up then a TFL set up a medium range FG of 42y which UAB made. UAB fumbled at the goal line, some players reacted as if the ball crossed the plane, or he was down, and it may have, but no definitive replay angle to overturn. The refs were looking right at it and I feel like they blew the call. But LT got the ball and any score wins the game. LT set up for a 38y FG, which they missed! But a little contact and an acting job and UAB was called for roughing the kicker, 4 run plays later kid nailed the FG and handed me one super crazy emotional roller coaster ML winner. Damn, I'm tired again just reliving it.

i don’t understand hookies laying 2+ tds to liberty at all, enough so it prob will keep me away from a side but I do really like the over. I think Vtech offense is the step up in class liberty facing more so than their d. I believe liberty offense can hold its own with the teams that been lighting that bud foster-less hookie d up all year. I’m pretty confident liberty can score 30+, you would think putting 15 on top that be a lock to cover and it may be but I kinda expect hookies hang a 40 or even 50 burger. 67.5 a big number for 11am kick but I really think we see 70+ in that game. I just always worry about a sluggish start in the early kick high ass total games. If that happens have to be at casino live betting!

Some people don't like bye weeks coming when a team is rolling and hot. Liberty would qualify. I know Hokies have Miami on deck, but I have a hard time thinking that VT will overlook a 6-0 team averaging 38 ppg.

VT does not always show up the way people expect though. People were screaming revenge when ODU rolled in last year and VT only beat them 31-17 laying 28.5.

I don't know. I would only take Liberty, that is just me, I rarely even consider playing favorites. Liberty has been pretty great, but the teams they have played are really really bad. Probably have to account for a large set up in competition for them boys here. Still, they going to be sky high...teams only 95 miles apart and surely one of the teams is going to want to prove something...for VT it's just another game. But go back and look at those teams Liberty has played, a weaker schedule I may've never seen.

Somehow App State only won 31-13 despite 480-222 yard edge and a +2 TO margin. App ST was INT's on their first series. It was 21-7 HT. 1st H yards were 286-128. At the end of the 1st H App St had 1st down at the ULM02 with under :20 but had 2 timeouts. 3 plays later App St never got into the EZ and the half expired. It was 28-7 and App St got an INT and were driving for another score but were SOD 4th-and-1 at the ULM20. App ST got another INT this one at the ULM39, but App St would end up punting! Yards at the end of the 3rd Q were 433-137! App St had 2nd down at the ULM14, but settled for a FG...31-7. App St had a FG at the ULM11, but would miss a 43y FG with 2:38min left in the game. ULM scored a TD as time expired. 5 RZ trips and 1 TD and 1 FG to show for it.

Latch offense has really struggled this year, outside hanging a ton on a houston Baptist team everyone scores half a Hundo on even games they put up decent point outputs the yardage totals haven’t been there, much like you described above. I was happy to see that recap cause was curious how they got to 37? I’m assuming they were pretty sizable dogs to uab correct? (Good hit, I see it was dd). They don’t appear to have any kind of juice on that offense, they only gaining 2.4 per carry, the passing game only getting 6.2 per pass attempt on a strong completion percentage. Seems like the offense has to work for everything they get. The defense seems ok and take the ball away some but they another who struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs. Coincidentally n.texas is converting almost 50% on 3rd down this season ranking 20th in country. Unt defense is horrible but will latech offense stay out it’s own way and churn out a much higher ypp average? It hasn’t in some other matchups but the total kinda screams latech gonna do bunch of scoring. I gotta look at this one some more.

Some people don't like bye weeks coming when a team is rolling and hot. Liberty would qualify. I know Hokies have Miami on deck, but I have a hard time thinking that VT will overlook a 6-0 team averaging 38 ppg.

VT does not always show up the way people expect though. People were screaming revenge when ODU rolled in last year and VT only beat them 31-17 laying 28.5.

I don't know. I would only take Liberty, that is just me, I rarely even consider playing favorites. Liberty has been pretty great, but the teams they have played are really really bad. Probably have to account for a large set up in competition for them boys here. Still, they going to be sky high...teams only 95 miles apart and surely one of the teams is going to want to prove something...for VT it's just another game. But go back and look at those teams Liberty has played, a weaker schedule I may've never seen.

yea I agree but I don’t think the defenses they have faced are considerably worse than hookies playing this year. Offensively vatech a huge step up no doubt, that why I expect them to hang 40+. On the other side I do think liberty will be able to score, id only play liberty side as well but think over might have more upside.

Charlotte owned a 42-18 TOP edge vs Duke. Duke had field position all day long and had several short scoring drives. Duke's average starting field position for the game was the D46! They had 4 scoring drives of 31y or less thanks to a 10y Charlotte punt (blk'd), 21y punt return, another blk'd punt (led to 5y TD "drive"), a sack/fumble. Duke won 53-19 but only outgained Charlotte 401-348. Duke also got a PAT 2pt return.

Latch offense has really struggled this year, outside hanging a ton on a houston Baptist team everyone scores half a Hundo on even games they put up decent point outputs the yardage totals haven’t been there, much like you described above. I was happy to see that recap cause was curious how they got to 37? I’m assuming they were pretty sizable dogs to uab correct? (Good hit, I see it was dd). They don’t appear to have any kind of juice on that offense, they only gaining 2.4 per carry, the passing game only getting 6.2 per pass attempt on a strong completion percentage. Seems like the offense has to work for everything they get. The defense seems ok and take the ball away some but they another who struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs. Coincidentally n.texas is converting almost 50% on 3rd down this season ranking 20th in country. Unt defense is horrible but will latech offense stay out it’s own way and churn out a much higher ypp average? It hasn’t in some other matchups but the total kinda screams latech gonna do bunch of scoring. I gotta look at this one some more.

UAB's D vs a team like LaTech or most of the teams in the CUSA is going to make the going tough. One reason I liked them is I thought having played Marshall and BYU and to a lesser degree UTSA D, I thought they would be prepared for a UAB D unit. It was certainly hard, but they were able to come with some plays and even some chunks here and there. The NT D is awful as you say. I expect LT to figure out some scoring and yardage vs them. This team is quite a bit below recent standards offensively, but everybody finds a way for yards and points vs North Texas.

UAB's D vs a team like LaTech or most of the teams in the CUSA is going to make the going tough. One reason I liked them is I thought having played Marshall and BYU and to a lesser degree UTSA D, I thought they would be prepared for a UAB D unit. It was certainly hard, but they were able to come with some plays and even some chunks here and there. The NT D is awful as you say. I expect LT to figure out some scoring and yardage vs them. This team is quite a bit below recent standards offensively, but everybody finds a way for yards and points vs North Texas.

yea for sure on the uab d, pretty sure that why I recall avoiding that game is I wasn’t real sure if latech could score. Fair point about the defenses they have seen skewing their offensive numbers but for most part I don’t recall the yards being there against some the lessor teams as well which concerned me. You not lying bout unt, everyone has scored 30+ on them with bunch of 40s from teams who not that explosive, them Smu lit them up for 65 but that pretty irrelevant here. Point taken on that d, it even worse than I was originally thinking, they allowing 544ypg (281 on ground!) and 47.5 points! Dunno if I can even look at that game any longer.

How about that Minnesota defense!!

Maryland puts up 207 total yards against Northwestern and then a week later they're 4th in the country in yards per play. How? The Minny defense.

Here are the bottom 5 in yards per play on defense in CFB (disclaimer for small sample size, but the point remains):
99 UNLV 7.37
100 UMass 7.52
101 Vanderbilt 7.52
102 New Mexico 7.52
103 Minnesota 9.48

A full 2 yards worse than everyone else. Yikes. There's a long way to go until the end of the year, and I'm sure they'll figure some things out, but only 1 team has topped 8 yards per play against in the past 6 years and that was that UCONN team in 2018 that was statistically the worst defense in college football history according to Connelly, etc.

Another Big Ten thought: Purdue is 2-0 and sitting pretty along with Northwestern in the Big Ten West, but I gotta say I saw some warning signs for them this past week. Illinois finds out their starting QB Peters is out with COVID late in the week along with a backup TE. Not only that, but due to contact tracing, 2 starting OL, the backup QB, the kicker and 4 in the 2 deep on defense are also out, along with 5 or 6 guys that play sparingly, something like 14 guys. (By the way, kudos to them for playing, right?) They are down to their 3rd stringer at QB, who sucks, and then HE gets hurt on the second drive with an ankle injury, leaving them with the 4th stringer Coran Taylor, who has never played because although he is athletic, he can't hit the broad side of a barn and per practice moles has proved to be a walking turnover in practice. All of that proves true in the game, as Taylor throws 2 horrific picks and fumbles twice, including one that Purdue picks up and trots in for a TD from the 5 yard line. He also missed about 5 or 6 throws by a mile to wide open receivers. Despite all that, he still threw for 277 yards and Illinois ran for 200, racking up 475 yards. Final score was 31-24 with Illinois giving it up on downs at the 10 yard line on their last drive. If they can only escape by the skin of their teeth in that terrible scenario for Illinois, either Purdue is shaky or Illinois isn't as bad as they looked in week 1.

Back