Week 1 What Are We Learning

Garbers was really bad for UCLA, but I thought the entire team looked really unprepared -- I think Foster is way over his head and UCLA is going to be a dumpster fire this year
On offense for sure. I couldn't tell what they were trying to do. That game was right there for Hawaii.

Laramie.

I've been there. There's a blackhole feeling to the place (Wyoming in general) to outsiders. To look at the place and the stadium you wouldn't think it, but (particularly at night) visiting teams commonly get lost in all that vastness.

And Cowboy teams of the past on occasion can look quite the opposite, almost somnambulant, away from that vastness.
Patrick we are all smarter for having read this.

I think it is safe to say that USC is much improved on defense. I was impressed with their discipline playing the zone coverages underneath and keeping everything in front of them and making strong sure tackles. Nice combination of LB's and secondary playing very sound and disciplined. Stark contrast to last year's ole defense where they were very poor tackling and in coverage. See some upside there for this defense.

A couple things I noticed perusing box scores(from a negative perspective):

South Carolina didn't do anything on offense, probably should have lost to ODU. They could not run on the Monarchs and Sellers didn't look good at all throwing the ball.

Air Force only averaged 3.4 yards per play against Merrimack????

Tony Sanchez back to his old tricks as New Mexico State QBs went 7/23 for 60 yards (2.6 per attempt) against SEMO, and only managed 3.75 per play overall. That's gonna be an UGLY offense. if there's any remaining misplaced positivity on them based on last year, I think we'll want to fade it. Not holding my breath

I was set to fade VT this year as a favorite, but didn't do it this week and now the chance to do that might have left the building completely after 1 week.

Wisconsin's offense doesn't look much better under Van Dyke than it did under Mordecai.

Major Applewhite certainly isn't concentrating much on defense at SALAB. It's a major departure from Wommack on that side of the ball. They got torched at home by the Mean Green.

Arky State gave up 7 yards a carry to Central Arkanasas. I've got a future on them to win the Sub Belt, 😮

How about Willie Fritz’s debut in Houston. Ass blast by UNLV 27-7.
Ouch. Tulane won this deal with Sumrall. Willie did a lot for the program, but this worked out tremendously I think.
Willie's got to do something on offense other than watch Donovan Smith run around aimlessly. I think you're right about Sumrall. Troy off to a rough start without him too.

Klatt brought up (another) great point today on The Next Round re: Clemson. That team mirrors Texas with Young and McCoy. Two elite QBs then Horns could never find another one and Brown then got fat and lazy and lost the program. Clemson had its elite run with Watson and Lawrence and has lost its ability to find a QB (DJU and now apparently Klubnick.) And Swinney seems to be losing his program as well, especially with the archaic personnel stand he is taking.

Last edited:
I’m learning that DirecTV and ESPN are fucking bitches.
I don’t know if this question will break the rules so I’ll be careful with how I ask it. I’m assuming people are finding other ways to watch the games that would normally be on espn if you have DirecTV. I’d appreciate any help maybe via dm on other places to watch since DirecTV and espn are having their lovers quarrel.

Mods. Feel free to delete if this is inappropriate. Just not sure how else to ask.

I don’t know if this question will break the rules so I’ll be careful with how I ask it. I’m assuming people are finding other ways to watch the games that would normally be on espn if you have DirecTV. I’d appreciate any help maybe via dm on other places to watch since DirecTV and espn are having their lovers quarrel.

Mods. Feel free to delete if this is inappropriate. Just not sure how else to ask.
I can also provide my email address if that’s more appropriate

Can't you watch on espn.com? I'd think at worst you could watch on anything that doesn't use wifi. Anything that doesn't need your cable provider to connect.

Can't you watch on espn.com? I'd think at worst you could watch on anything that doesn't use wifi. Anything that doesn't need your cable provider to connect.
I don’t believe they broadcast the actual game on the website. It asks for your cable provider

I don’t believe they broadcast the actual game on the website. It asks for your cable provider
I guess I have ESPN+ so that's all streaming anyway. I don't get asked for the provider but I've never had blackouts w/Cox. The provider can't black out streaming if you have plus I don't think. How could they?

I guess I have ESPN+ so that's all streaming anyway. I don't get asked for the provider but I've never had blackouts w/Cox. The provider can't black out streaming if you have plus I don't think. How could they?
I have Plus as well. But I don’t think the game tonight streams on plus? I know last night’s game didn’t… unless I’m completely blind?

I have Plus as well. But I don’t think the game tonight streams on plus? I know last night’s game didn’t… unless I’m completely blind?
Man I'd punch around early on, I think everything on ABC/ESPN is accessible on plus but I've not really looked. Pretty sure it does though. Everything else live on ESPN/ABC seems to.

yes I have + via other subscriptions
gonna have to add to my list that my survivors need to cancel when i'm gone.
both sides are cunts pulling this at this week.

can't pull this shit two weeks after the mlb all star game

Man I'd punch around early on, I think everything on ABC/ESPN is accessible on plus but I've not really looked. Pretty sure it does though. Everything else live on ESPN/ABC seems to.
Yeah I will. But there have been many games I’ve wanted to watch from espn but weren’t available on espn plus. You’d think they would be. I’ll look around though. Appreciate you trying to help!

Yeah I will. But there have been many games I’ve wanted to watch from espn but weren’t available on espn plus. You’d think they would be. I’ll look around though. Appreciate you trying to help!
ESPN+ does not have the traditional ESPN channels.

All kinds of pitfalls out there, including a Peacock enema.... ;) I have had luck with Sportsurge and Stream East.

I used to despise Todd Graham for his idiocy. Tonight, his coaching tree made him proud.

Norvell, with a terrible QB, down one score on his first possession of the 2H, 4th and 5, elects to go for it on his own end. Again, with a QB who has no business being on the field. The result, shockingly, is a pick the other way for 60 yards.

Pathetic doesn't begin to describe that decision.

Back