Week 8 What Have We Learned

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trusting the Bears defense, especially without Khalil

Not sure what to make of the Jets scoring 34 points on the Bengals today

The Lions may be farther away from getting their first win than previous close calls could have made it seem

IF titans ever get healthy we gonna be dangerous

This is going to sound mean, and that's not how I intend it so if you bet the Colts today just know that. But this was the one game that I did not understand the line move on at all. But it moved so much, I didn't really mess with the side, so good for the books keeping me off I guess.

But I didn't get it because we've seen these two teams before. Like a lot. And I get that Wentz is now there rather than Rivers, but other than more range on his deep ball, is there really much difference? This Tennessee team, as constructed right now, is better than this Indy team. Oddly, I'd probably prefer the opposite to be true, but it's just not.

Kudos to Indy for playing a great game today, they easily could have won. And if they win, they cover most of the numbers. But this four point move was based on what, exactly? It wasn't injury, that I knew of. Was it based on one good Carson Wentz game? Four points? Really? I honestly didn't get it.

To be clear, I still think Indy is a bet-on team right now. And they're probably going to make a push for the playoffs. But there are matchup problems for them with Tenny.

This is going to sound mean, and that's not how I intend it so if you bet the Colts today just know that. But this was the one game that I did not understand the line move on at all. But it moved so much, I didn't really mess with the side, so good for the books keeping me off I guess.

But I didn't get it because we've seen these two teams before. Like a lot. And I get that Wentz is now there rather than Rivers, but other than more range on his deep ball, is there really much difference? This Tennessee team, as constructed right now, is better than this Indy team. Oddly, I'd probably prefer the opposite to be true, but it's just not.

Kudos to Indy for playing a great game today, they easily could have won. And if they win, they cover most of the numbers. But this four point move was based on what, exactly? It wasn't injury, that I knew of. Was it based on one good Carson Wentz game? Four points? Really? I honestly didn't get it.

To be clear, I still think Indy is a bet-on team right now. And they're probably going to make a push for the playoffs. But there are matchup problems for them with Tenny.
Titans never get respect by books. They beat Buffalo surely kc would beat them, then they beat kc so surely indy was gonna go it. They will be dogged again next week, I actually do expect them to lose next week, not that I hope they do just expect it

Titans never get respect by books. They beat Buffalo surely kc would beat them, then they beat kc so surely indy was gonna go it. They will be dogged again next week, I actually do expect them to lose next week, not that I hope they do just expect it

Just a terrible spot next week for them, tbh. Also, it's a game they don't need. They basically won the division today. Also, if they plan on going deep in the playoffs, I'd go extremely vanilla against the Rams next week. In a perfect world, if you're a Titans fan, you wanted a bye after this game today. Extremely tough scheduling stretch, and they conquered it. Now their reward is going back on the road to the other side of the country. Brutal.

Kirk Cousins and the Vikes are horrible.
Buffalo winning ugly actually makes me like their chances more.
No clue what to think of the Chargers now.
The Falcons are still the falcons.
Cowboys made the right call resting Dak today.
NFL needs to relegate Houston, Jacksonville, Detroit, and maybe Washington to whatever league Bishop Sycamore plays in.

Kirk Cousins and the Vikes are horrible.
Buffalo winning ugly actually makes me like their chances more.
No clue what to think of the Chargers now.
The Falcons are still the falcons.
Cowboys made the right call resting Dak today.
NFL needs to relegate Houston, Jacksonville, Detroit, and maybe Washington to whatever league Bishop Sycamore plays in.
Vikings are either really really bad or cowboys are legit and their d is legit. Or both

If you've watched the Jets at all this season you would know that LaFleur was terrible with his play calling all season.
@brewers888 I don't know what the fuck we watched yesterday, but I haven't seen someone play quarterback like that in years for the Jets. I know you love Wilson, but just stop. White got the ball out quickly...he USED HIS RUNNING BACKS IN THE PASSING GAME...he was accurate. I don't give a shit whether the kid was taken 2nd or not....you play this kid until he shows you he's a farce.

We were the team the broke Drew Bledsoe's ribs and started the Tom Brady dynasty years ago during a 14-7 win at New England (Damn you Mo Lewis)

Why can we get the same break in return from the Patriots putting a cheap shot on Wilson and discovering a kid who might be able to play?

Wilson has shown me NOTHING. He might have talent, but he bounces passes to receivers, is too risky with the ball, and worse than anything...is just not accurate. That was his biggest selling point coming here...his accuracy. That is gone.

Enough already...give me more of the Mike White experience...if that's the kind of quarterback play we're going to see similar to yesterday. It's not just the playcalling, the kid has STUNK.

@brewers888 I don't know what the fuck we watched yesterday, but I haven't seen someone play quarterback like that in years for the Jets. I know you love Wilson, but just stop. White got the ball out quickly...he USED HIS RUNNING BACKS IN THE PASSING GAME...he was accurate. I don't give a shit whether the kid was taken 2nd or not....you play this kid until he shows you he's a farce.

We were the team the broke Drew Bledsoe's ribs and started the Tom Brady dynasty years ago during a 14-7 win at New England (Damn you Mo Lewis)

Why can we get the same break in return from the Patriots putting a cheap shot on Wilson and discovering a kid who might be able to play?

Wilson has shown me NOTHING. He might have talent, but he bounces passes to receivers, is too risky with the ball, and worse than anything...is just not accurate. That was his biggest selling point coming here...his accuracy. That is gone.

Enough already...give me more of the Mike White experience...if that's the kind of quarterback play we're going to see similar to yesterday. It's not just the playcalling, the kid has STUNK.
Only time will tell of course but I think this game was a perfect storm scenario in every way possible. The Bungles showed that they are an organization you can never trust and they had a complete no show. Somehow the Jets offensive line looked good when they have been embarrasingly bad every week and the playcalling was on point when LaFleur has done nothing but look inept.

Maybe I will be wrong and Mike White will be the next Kurt Warner but I don't believe that for one second. The potential scenario of trading Wilson to hand the job to White infuriates me but what else is new with this franchise.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
·
8m

Titans’ RB Derrick Henry suffered a potentially season-ending foot injury during Sunday’s 34-31 win over Indianapolis, sources reported ESPN. Henry is undergoing an MRI today to determine the full extent of the damage.

Thing is I remember those WKU teams with him, fun to watch. They always seemed like one of those high octane teams that the system made the QB and not vice versa which is possibly why he's never gotten a chance. Obviously in Dallas behind Romo he wasn't going to get a chance but surprised it's taken til now with the Jets.

One game doesn't make a career but he was pretty cool under pressure yesterday. Trick is seeing if he can do it again, shows a lot of composure to come back like that, pretty sure at some point in the 4th quarter the Bengals ML was -4000 or so. Good for him!

Henry out completely changes the Titans offense and therefore the landscape of the AFC. Pressure now on Julio to find his way to back health. Trade deadline is TOMORROW, so we might see a move, although the most likely, Marlon Mack, is on a division rival that might see an opening now.

I wonder if Peyton Barber could be had for the right price? Maybe a Damien Williams, Jamaal Williams, Wayne Gallman? You'd think one of them could be had for a low round pick.

Henry out completely changes the Titans offense and therefore the landscape of the AFC. Pressure now on Julio to find his way to back health. Trade deadline is TOMORROW, so we might see a move, although the most likely, Marlon Mack, is on a division rival that might see an opening now.

I wonder if Peyton Barber could be had for the right price? Maybe a Damien Williams, Jamaal Williams, Wayne Gallman? You'd think one of them could be had for a low round pick.
Yeah, isn’t evans out for the year as well? This could get interesting for the tits

Review of this weeks pre-game/post-game.
Car/Atl - Panthers are in free fall and Atlanta has found something on offense with their three headed monster of Pitts, Patterson and Ridley. Atlanta has also won 5 of 6 vs Carolina. Eye test would say Atlanta but the Theory of Mediocre Teams says a correction is in order so its Panthers +3. Gotta roll with the ups and downs of mediocre teams. Things never go great for too long, and they never go awful forever. Its a corollary to the Week 2 Overreaction Theory.

Mia/Buf - Bills followed their inexplicable loss to Pittsburgh with a 35-0 rinsing of Miami. Bills again off an inexplicable loss, and again turn around to face Miami. Bad luck for Miami. Bills -14. It took awhile but Allen finally found a gear and lucky for us the Bills aren't afraid of going for the jugular even when the game seems safely in hand. They could've easily plunged it into the line on 3rd down from the 8 but no, they let their stud QB go around end for the front door cover.

SF/Chi - Niners on a 4 game losing streak and they're 4 point road faves? Ugh. No way I can back Fields and the total is too low to contemplate the under. Pass all the way around. The Bears let Jimmy G throw for over 300, Deebo goes wild and Mitchell gets over 100. Do we think they can do better in Pittsburgh next week against arguably a better group? The good news is the Bears might finally be able to contribute to some over plays.

Pit/Cle - The vibes are trending Pitts way. There's a revenge element too considering the Browns won two straight against Pittsburgh late last year, including in the playoffs. Both team got extra time to prepare and get healthier. The hook is too enticing, Pitt +3.5 Tomlin should've been made to pay for that stupid fake FG decision but the Browns receivers weren't up to the task, with several drops. Pretty hilarious fans here are arguing for a roughing the passer for their kicker, sorry but life never works that way because, you know, its the kicker. Browns punted on a 4th and 1 from their 49 late in the 3rd. Steelers took the punt at their 17 and within 3 plays where back at midfield, on their way to the game-winning TD. Landry fumbled at the Steeler 21 next drive, then they went out on downs at the Steelers 26 on the last drive. Pretty good passing day for Pitt as the Browns lost all kinds of secondary personnel during the game.

Phi/Det - Somebody has to win this one. Lions played their asses off last week, that usually doesn't happen two weeks in a row. Eagles lost Sanders, which could actually improve their chances. How does Hurts do with an early lead? They smashed Atlanta pretty hard. I can see them having a good week. Philly -3.5 My best call of the day as this one wasn't close. Lions will put in the effort on occasion but its only sporadic. Pretty easy to see they left it all on the field in LA the week before. For whatever reason the loss of Sanders only made the Eagles want to run more, go figure.

Ten/Indy - Two teams playing well right now. Indy generally does well against the Tits and with the series 0-1 so far this year I'm favoring the split. Indy -2.5 Thought this one was gonna come through after the hot start but the Titans are tough and Wentz ended up being Wentz. Henry finished the game but now it looks like he's done for the year. This makes the Titans a big unknown this week as their identity has been shattered. Playing the Rams doesn't help either.

Cin/NYJ - Woof, huge spread here and its being a long time since the Bengals were in this position. No way to tell how they'll respond off their huge effort last week. Jets are too putrid to back, so this is more of a teaser game for me. No surprise that the Bengals started flat after last weeks effort. But they appeared to be cruising to victory late and then blew an 11 point lead in the fourth quarter. It was a donut game for Cincy with the Browns up next week. They should bounce back and stay competitive. Jets have a decision to make now on White with Flacco ready to go next week. I would expect them to go with Delaware Joe and go right back into their losing ways on Thursday at Indy.

LAR/Hou - Rams have been handling their business, would be inclined to back them with Tyrod still not playing. But I can't lay 15.5 on the road. Another one to tease around. This has to be the bad beat of the week for Ram backers. Houston is a pain in the ass team. For weeks they've been reasonably competitive in the 1st half only to collapse in the 2nd half. This time they reversed it. I'm pretty well convinced they're intent on losing as many as possible, but they have an undercurrent of spirited play that pops up for a brief stretch each week. I guess the way to play them is to fade them first half, and if they somehow cover double up on a 2nd half fade, because its coming.

NE/SD - Last time we saw the Chargers they were getting their shit pushed in by the Ravens. They've had two weeks to think about this one. Pats got their second dose of the Jets vaccine so they should feel pretty good about themselves. A month ago I'd be saying -4 looks too light. I guess it still is. Chargers -4. This was a whiff. Pats took away Mike Williams and confused Herbert all game. Expecting the Pats to run on the Chargers but they only got 3.6 per carry. They did just enough offensively with 4 FGs and a TD and got the big pick 6 that set up the win.

Jax/Sea - Ugh, there's just no way I can get interested in this one. I'll have the Sunday Ticket four block up for the late games and I may tape a piece of paper onto the screen just so my eyes can't accidently catch a glimpse of Geno at QB. Pass. Didn't watch but the stats suggest Urban figured out a way to make Geno Smith look like a competent QB. Does Russell come back Week 10? With 2 weeks to retool they could look a lot better the 2nd half of the year.

Was/Den - Broncos step up in class the last four weeks has been a disaster. In horse racing we say they're dropping into appropriate company this week. The return of Jeudy would then be like taking the blinkers off? Denver -3. Pretty ugly game all around. Redskins passed up a FG on their opening drive and failed on fourth and 1 in the redzone, then justified the decision as Blewitt kicked it into his lineman on their next drive. He missed another one that would've given them a 13-10 lead in the 4th before Teddy finally started throwing to his pretty good WR trio on the game winning TD drive. The game for Heinecke was encapsulated on his last pass, a "hail mary" that flew over the end zone by about 8 yards. If Teddy can trust his receivers the Broncos could be good, but he was checking it down too much. Sutton, Jeudy and Patrick is a pretty good trio IMO.

Tampa/NO - OK, we all saw that Saints/Seahawks craptastic game on Monday night. Somehow the Saints are 4-2. But I think Brady & the Bucs had their ears prick up on the Thursday night results. I think the Bucs get it done but 4.5 seems a lot. The under 50 looks better to me. Seeing 24-20 type game. Honestly I thought Jameis would start throwing picks to his old team today, letting the Bucs play a little conservative and run it more. When he got hurt the Saints offense kicked up a gear with Siemian, then Brady had to play catchup and he is more than capable of putting up points in that scenario. So I'll take the L but I don't feel bad about it. Going forward the Saints have some tough matchups in their next five. Tampa should be fine, hopefully AB is back after the bye and they have two NFC East dregs to pummel out of the break.

Dall/Minn - Line has pushed to -3 for Minny at some books. Implication is Prescott will not be able to go. I don't know. They Cowboys line is back at full strength.....how much would Prescott really need to move around? What's better, a statue Prescott or a healthy Cooper Rush? No sense guessing anything until game time. Never would've written that story. What a game. Dallas seems to have some magic this year. And they get Dak back next week and Demarcus Lawrence in a couple of weeks.

Ok...so bad beats!

First on Saturday with FSU/Clemson debacle causing with a line on 9.5 o/u49.

Second it happened again with Rams vs. Texans with a line of 16.5.

I mean you just can't make this stuff up!

Titans’ RB Derrick Henry suffered a potentially season-ending foot injury during Sunday’s 34-31 win over Indianapolis, sources reported ESPN. Henry is undergoing an MRI today to determine the full extent of the damage.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaak.

Is this the natural result of them overusing this guy yet again? We will probably never know. really hoping it's not that bad and he can come back for the playoffs. This team should be good enough, and their division bad enough, that they can suck it up and hold this lead through the rest of the regular season. I like Henry, I hope he's OK.

Makes sense, probably the closest you can find on the wire to Henry's style if he has anything left

The key for them is to take care of the ball...."looking at you Tannehill" and minimize stupid penalties. They're basically was trying to giftwrap Colts victory yesterday.

AP legs should be fresh, motivated to make a comeback and for a ring. There are also other RBs that could possible fill the gap, but none are DH caliber or have that intimidation factor.

The Browns lost their starting RT for a few weeks with a dislocated elbow.

Also, Washington seems to have lost their starting center to a broken leg.

i think we might be learning some the things i said early in the season that might have sounded silly at the time might not have been so crazy! i dunno if anyone else ready to say it yet but pats sure look like a playoff team to me! on same note think we seeing some those issues i had with chargers popping up more and more, thought it was abundantly clear they were out coached yet again and Herbert struggling to cover up all the warts, 3rd and 4th down magic doesnt work vs good teams!

am i still crazy that Fields just might turn out to be good? (if he can stay alive that is, kid takes more hits than any qb i can recall). what a shock with Nagy away from the team it was the best he looked and best the offense had played! crazy the offense finally has a decent showing and the d gets destroyed! niners scored on like 7 straight possessions in the 2nd half!!! busting off one big play after another with the run and passing game! Id fire Nagy today before he can get back with the team and do any more damage to Fields!!

Dallas CB Trevon Diggs tweaked his ankle on that last Kirk drive but sounds like he's OK, looked at the time like it got kicked. Left OT Tyron Smith also has an ankle injury and is getting it further checked. And we all saw Amari Cooper working the hamstring massager between plays, he's been dealing with that for a few weeks.

Dallas CB Trevon Diggs tweaked his ankle on that last Kirk drive but sounds like he's OK, looked at the time like it got kicked. Left OT Tyron Smith also has an ankle injury and is getting it further checked. And we all saw Amari Cooper working the hamstring massager between plays, he's been dealing with that for a few weeks.

i was in shock after we saw him working the hammy he came back and made the game winning play,, more times than not i feel like he checks out in those spots on the road..

i was in shock after we saw him working the hammy he came back and made the game winning play,, more times than not i feel like he checks out in those spots on the road..
I had that impression too when he was in Oakland but he's been a gamer in Dallas.

I had that impression too when he was in Oakland but he's been a gamer in Dallas.

even with them i have seen him check out more than once on the road,, he def been a great get for them but it still a issue at times. last night i think said a lot bout how much different cowboys are this year.

how much more like a bust does Zach Wilson look like today? lol.. ill stick with what i been saying since before draft that i rather have Fields!!

Von Miller to the Rams for a 2nd and 3rd next year. And Denver pays almost all Miller's salary this year. Rams are all-in this year.

indy was only side i bet yesterday that lost,, fucking wentz lost that game so many times and they still shoulda won in ot if he didnt lose it for good with the last pick!!! what the flying fuck was he doing on that play that gave titans the 31-24 lead????? there no way colts should have lost that game!!

Back