Week 8 What Are We Learning

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
It's easy, as a bettor, to shrug off the Penn State loss as the consequence of an awful sandwich spot, but we already knew that the offense had problems. What an ugly and uninspiring effort from the big red dog and co!

Caleb Williams.

I've watched a ton, a ton, of college football in my time. Like most of you. I've never seen a play like Willams pulled off today. Ever. Grabbing the ball from his own teammate to get a first down, run, secure the game and keep his team in the FF run. You could have 1,000 QBs in that scenario and 999 would stand, watch, and then head to the sideline. The other one didn't today.

I hate OU, hate 'em. All Texas fans do. But that was a play like you'll never see again. There's never been a better definition of having "it".

Wow.

I feel like Franklin made a dumb decision playing Clifford in that game. Nothing new for him I suppose. Surely the backup could have beat Illinios, why play your guy hurt with osu on deck?

Caleb Williams.

I've watched a ton, a ton, of college football in my time. Like most of you. I've never seen a play like Willams pulled off today. Ever. Grabbing the ball from his own teammate to get a first down, run, secure the game and keep his team in the FF run. You could have 1,000 QBs in that scenario and 999 would stand, watch, and then head to the sideline. The other one didn't today.

I hate OU, hate 'em. All Texas fans do. But that was a play like you'll never see again. There's never been a better definition of having "it".

Wow.

Damn. I gotta see this! I didn’t watch a play of that game. I couldn’t take my eyes off the wake/army fireworks show!!

I already new this but Pitt doing Pitt things and losing to western Michigan cost them a legit argument to get in playoff!

I suspected this already but needed to see it vs clemson d, Pickett is the best qb in the country. For ppl saying there no franchise qbs in this draft I say they sleeping on this kid. He tough as hell, can make all the throws, and like the majority the best qbs in the nfl he never has been surrounded with nfl talent and had to work his way to this level.

All those nice things said bout Pitt they Better not crush Miami then lose to Duke!! Lol.

I think their danger game is later against uva. That gonna be a crazy shootout where last team w ball wins. Unc won’t do that cause Pitt will be in Howell face all game.

I already new this but Pitt doing Pitt things and losing to western Michigan cost them a legit argument to get in playoff!

I suspected this already but needed to see it vs clemson d, Pickett is the best qb in the country. For ppl saying there no franchise qbs in this draft I say they sleeping on this kid. He tough as hell, can make all the throws, and like the majority the best qbs in the nfl he never has been surrounded with nfl talent and had to work his way to this level.

Calling him the best QB in the country is an absurd overstatement, quite.a dramatic one relative to his whole previous career. Fact is Clemson D doesn't show up on the road...look at what Devin Leary did to them.

All those nice things said bout Pitt they Better not crush Miami then lose to Duke!! Lol.

I think their danger game is later against uva. That gonna be a crazy shootout where last team w ball wins. Unc won’t do that cause Pitt will be in Howell face all game.
We shall see!

We have the ability to beat every single team left on our schedule…or to lose to every single team left on our schedule haha

We have the ability to beat every single team left on our schedule…or to lose to every single team left on our schedule haha

Pitt front 7 is too good for ya’ll crappy protecting Oline. Other than Pitt I think you have argument for rest the teams. Strongly believe uva the team Pitt gonna struggle with. Hopefully pitt dismantle your squad the week before uva to set it up even better with more plus on uva! Lol

Pitt front 7 is too good for ya’ll crappy protecting Oline. Other than Pitt I think you have argument for rest the teams. Strongly believe uva the team Pitt gonna struggle with. Hopefully pitt dismantle your squad the week before uva to set it up even better with more plus on uva! Lol
48-45 a possibility…I will be on the over for pretty much all of our games the rest of the way because the bye week will see a shift towards just going the shootout route as our OLine is what it is until Rice joins the team down the road

48-45 a possibility…I will be on the over for pretty much all of our games the rest of the way because the bye week will see a shift towards just going the shootout route as our OLine is what it is until Rice joins the team down the road

I really don’t think Pitt be a shootout. Not saying Pitt smokes ya’ll, I expect both defenses play well in that one. This really just off top my head tho, I havnt followed you guys real close of late, ya’ll disappointed me too much!! been watching/capping Pitt pretty much every week. Pitt/uva I think be a score closer to that where I could see unc/Pitt more in the high 20s-low 30s. That a Thursday night gane I believe! It crazy we only got 5 weeks or so left! I just really started hitting my stride 3-4 weeks ago!!

I hope Pitt wins out so Gurv can play the "what if" game.

It def gotta be something on Pitt and their fans minds, I been saying for a minute I think they a top 10 team if they didn’t lose that game, maybe not quite jus cause the acc bias out there! Certainly woulda been interesting to see what the committee would do with a undefeated acc not named clemson?

Kinda feel like wake gonna slip up wit thst defense, although their schedule isn’t that daunting. They prob should have lost at least one their last 2 acc games if not both so even against less than stellar comp gotta think they gonna lose sooner than later.

They still have time to do Pitt things and Narduzzi things and lose to someone they shouldn't.

Last edited:
I also learned UTEP is 8-1 and UTSA is 8-0 and they play in two weeks. If Gameday went to EL Paso I really don't know how to handle that.

Also it was a fun run fading UNM vs the spread but laying 20 with that wyo offense was just stupid.

I just realized how bad Penn State under James Franklin is after a loss. Go back and check the results...it makes for a pretty great betting angle...they do not respond well, to say the last.
You’re right. By the same token, he tends to sustain momentum after a win.

Like all of them? You almost always get the one plumper, but a whole squad of fatties?

There were 3 I saw.

I have to say it again, I don't know what brand or manufacturer of the turf is in the Fresno stadium, but their turf is absolutely beautiful, nobody else's I can think of looks that good.

It def gotta be something on Pitt and their fans minds, I been saying for a minute I think they a top 10 team if they didn’t lose that game, maybe not quite jus cause the acc bias out there! Certainly woulda been interesting to see what the committee would do with a undefeated acc not named clemson?

Kinda feel like wake gonna slip up wit thst defense, although their schedule isn’t that daunting. They prob should have lost at least one their last 2 acc games if not both so even against less than stellar comp gotta think they gonna lose sooner than later.
Wake is going to lose at least two of their next four.

Hey ULM is on 2 game winning streak with two big upset wins!

Virginia led 48-27 with with under 4min left in the game, but had to sustain a failed 2pt attempt to escape with the cover (8pt win). GT actually recovered a second onside kick and could've scored again but final pass into EZ was incomplete. This was a big and unexpected win for my 2nd H GT+3.5 play and nearly the +6.5.

Another big an unexpected win was the Nevada TD with :02 left! UNR was sacked and fumbled at midfield with 1:52 left that looked like the end. But they got the ball back and at their own 10 yard line :53 left and no timeouts went down the field and scored TD! Actually recovered the onside kick too, but there was no time left.

It's crazy when you bet the volume of games I do, there are just a handful of plays or possession that actually swing the day one way or the other.

Another, I had San Diego State game and Air Force 2nd H. Aztecs go up 20-0 in the 3rd Q and AF-1 looked a little tough. AF got a 4th down TD pass, the receiver lost control when he hit the ground in the EZ ,but it was originaly called TD on the field then after conference ruled incomplete on the field. Replay said it was TD. That was a very very close and fortunate call for AF. Then AF scored their other TD on 4th down also. Both 2nd H TDs on 4th down.

ECU trails by 14 basically all game. Houston doesn't score a single point in second H regulation. UH misses FG. ECU goes for 4th down, but fumbles snap, hey Houston was offside! Officials rule the fumble recovery for Houston, before acknowledging Houston was offside. FD for ECU. That was a close one! ECU scores ,then UH fumbles the very first play of the ensuing possession. ECU ball! But then ECU fumbles it right back, an ECU player surrounded by 4 UH defenders somehow recovers the fumble, and ECU goes on to tie! UH then missed another late 4th Q FG but won in OT, but that was some crazy stuff to make it a tie game.

Wasn't all good fortune for me in the late games. Tennessee covering the entire game goes for a 4th down at their own 20-something yard line, QB tackled and Bama wins by 28 laying 25. Alabama was only ahead of the spread for the final 5min of game time.

Liberty QB Willis was knocked out 1st H vs North Texas. Liberty trailed 20-14 HT, but outscored them 21-6 2nd H (-7.5).

Ohio had first and goal at the Kent 1 yard line under 1min left to go in a 10 pt game. A TD would allow Ohio to cover 5pt spread. Incomplete and two runs that don't gain anything and Ohio kicks FG to lose by 7. They did cover the +2 2nd H line either way.

OU was -17 2nd H trailing 0-10. They were up 28-23 after Williams took the ball on 4th down from Brooks for the FD. KU had used all their timeouts, OU was at the K08 with 1:31 to go. They ran once to the K04. They ran again and scored with :42 left to win the 2nd H 35-13 (-17).

Last edited:
I really get all the analytics but the Chargers coach and Tennessee going for it on 4th down at your own 20 with the game in hand is not good for the game. Or sports bettors. It's going to make alot of winners turn into losers. In general getting a little too happy for this 4th and go stuff. Sometimes it's good to take the 3 points too.

Harvard got screwed:

In the third extra session, Harvard thought it had won the game when Jake Smith completed a pass into the endzone, but the referees rules that Princeton had called timeout. On the ensuing play, the Crimson scored another touchdown, but it was also taken off the scoreboard, this time by a pass interference play.

In the fifth overtime, the Tigers converted on a catch by Jacob Birmelin to take the lead, 18-16. The Crimson ensuing play failed on an incomplete pass, ending the game.

In the third overtime, Harvard threw a pass for a successful two-point conversion. After the play, the replay booth stopped the game for an official review. While the review did determine that the Princeton head coach called for timeout before the ball was snapped, the officiating crew made a procedural error as a timeout can only be recognized and granted prior to the snap by an on-field official and is not reviewable. Therefore, the timeout should not have been granted and the play should have resulted in a successful two-point conversion.

The outcome of the game will stand as a win for Princeton. The league office will address the error with the officials.

FCfTyUIVQAEUAdZ

Oregon RB Travis Dye did something I doubt has ever been done--he scored four TDs on four consecutive times he touched the ball. That doesn't even happen in high school let alone college

Nevada WR Romeo Doubs had 19 catches against Fresno for 203 yards. He had another on the last play of the game that would have won it for Nevada, but had to leap for it and his foot came down just our of the end zone

Never saw a D quit in the middle of a game like LSU did. They were up 7-3 with three minutes left in the first half. After that, Ole Miss averaged 10 yards a play. If you watch any replays of the game watch the defensive players. Most of them are giving no effort, the d-backs are just jogging after the Ole Miss players. The cameras showed a shot of coach O just shaking his head and looking down at the ground after one play where they barely tried

Kansas scored almost as many points against Oklahoma as they have against all other Big 12 teams put together. Hard to say which defense was more pathetic Saturday, Oklahoma or LSU

Nevada WR Romeo Doubs had 19 catches against Fresno for 203 yards. He had another on the last play of the game that would have won it for Nevada, but had to leap for it and his foot came down just our of the end zone
Watched most of that game, what a warrior. That last one was a 2pt to send it to OT which begs the question, I've never thought much about it but does a conversion reception count in the stat line?

Calling him the best QB in the country is an absurd overstatement, quite.a dramatic one relative to his whole previous career. Fact is Clemson D doesn't show up on the road...look at what Devin Leary did to them.

i thought this before the clemson game.. not sure why it absurd or who you think drastically better? im not counting freshman with potential like the sooners kid who may very well be more talented,, im talking bout kids who coming out this year.. i think it absurd to suggest he isnt at least one of the best. why does it matter he has had to get better every year? he never been surrounded with a lot and has carried this pitt team on his back since he been there. .Borrow couldnt even get on the field at osu so was it absurd to like him after one season? not sure what to tell ya, guess im absurd cause if i needed a qb i would seriously consider him at top the list which granted aint a strong list.. i havnt watched Corral enough and that offense tough to tell for me how he translates, i wouldnt fight someone arguing him,, but who else strong or Howell? what qb is it absurd to say pickett is every bit as good as? (again bama kid and osu kid out as well cause they cant leave yet). Pickett can make all the throws, he tough as hell, has run a pro style offense his whole career, not sure why im so crazy to suggest this? you put him on carolina panthers next year they be in good shape. my only concern is he does hold the ball a long time but i think it out of necessity cause he dont got a bunch of dudes who open off the snap like burrow had at lsu..

Last edited:
i thought this before the clemson game.. not sure why it absurd or who you think drastically better? im not counting freshman with potential like the sooners kid who may very well be more talented,, im talking bout kids who coming out this year.. i think it absurd to suggest he isnt at least one of the best. why does it matter he has had to get better every year? he never been surrounded with a lot and has carried this pitt team on his back since he been there. .Borrow couldnt even get on the field at osu so was it absurd to like him after one season? not sure what to tell ya, guess im absurd cause if i needed a qb i would seriously consider him at top the list which granted aint a strong list.. i havnt watched Corral enough and that offense tough to tell for me how he translates, i wouldnt fight someone arguing him,, but who else strong or Howell? what qb is it absurd to say pickett is every bit as good as? (again bama kid and osu kid out as well cause they cant leave yet). Pickett can make all the throws, he tough as hell, has run a pro style offense his whole career, not sure why im so crazy to suggest this? you put him on carolina panthers next year they be in good shape. my only concern is he does hold the ball a long time but i think it out of necessity cause he dont got a bunch of dudes who open off the snap like burrow had at lsu..

In the ACC alone I would put Devin Leary, Sam Howell, and Brennan Armstrong in the conversation next to Pickett. Armstrong had a leg injury that has deterred him from running. like he did last year, although he did run for 99 yards on 12 carries in his last game, and I'm factoring in his scrambling ability here.

Are you talking about who's the best right now or who's the most translatable to the NFL? Because obviously those are two different things (Tim Tebow, Matt Jones, Rex Grossman etc.)

And I really should have said "with all due respect" before calling your point absurd. It's just my opinion and I mean all respect for your point of view.

In the ACC alone I would put Devin Leary, Sam Howell, and Brennan Armstrong in the conversation next to Pickett. Armstrong had a leg injury that has deterred him from running. like he did last year, although he did run for 99 yards on 12 carries in his last game, and I'm factoring in his scrambling ability here.

Are you talking about who's the best right now or who's the most translatable to the NFL? Because obviously those are two different things (Tim Tebow, Matt Jones, Rex Grossman etc.)

And I really should have said "with all due respect" before calling your point absurd. It's just my opinion and I mean all respect for your point of view.

That more like it! Lol. With all due respect I think you on crack putting Leary anywhere near Pickett. Howell was great last year when he had 3-4 nfl skill players around him (something Pickett has never had), this year with those guys gone he ain’t looked all that hot. In fairness to him his protection is awful and Pickett has a excellent Oline.

I think just the acc this argument real easy for me whether we talking playing the best this year or nfl potential, although howell argument stronger for the latter. I suppose playing right now you can mention Armstrong but he playing in a much more pass centric offense that does a lot of interesting things to make his life easier, id say he the most Tebow-like as in I don’t think he has a shot at next level.

In the country I think my case for right now Pickett playing the best is pretty strong (no pun intended). Corral the only one I think has argument if we talking upperclassmen who gonna come out and again corral playing in a offense that gives him the ability to put up video game numbers. Pickett doing this in a pro style offense that really has one wr that could play at next level, he often carries this team as he has done his whole career. This the best run game he has had and it still only a 4ypc avg that often forces him to extend drives converting 3rd and longs after a couple stuffed runs! His oline been fantastic protecting for him but I think that is a rather new occurrence (this year), they do allow him to hold the ball a long time which he has to for these wrs to get open. He a tad short but he a big strong kid, looks to me like he can make all the throws and has timing and anticipation. Far as nfl I know scouts like strong and howell more but we see.

All the uber talented freshman are on teams with the kind of talent Pickett has never played with so guess you can pick one of them for playing the best this year but if you put Pickett on osu, Bama, okla he would be undefeated. Those kids are no doubt more talented than he is as they prob are than all the kids coming out this year.

Officials have something against ECU, or just continually show favoritism to their opponents.

Think that tulsa game they talking about there was also a play on final drive I think on a 4th down where pass clearly short hopped the wr and they called it a catch, think it was that game, maybe not, I see so many criminally incompetent calls in this sport jt hard to keep them all straight! Lol. I didn’t see last week.

Think that tulsa game they talking about there was also a play on final drive I think on a 4th down where pass clearly short hopped the wr and they called it a catch, think it was that game, maybe not, I see so many criminally incompetent calls in this sport jt hard to keep them all straight! Lol. I didn’t see last week.

Yeah, there was more than one bad call that screwed ECU at Tulsa.

I didn't realize it at the time, or didn't have the audio on, but that personal foul they called dead ball after the play when it wasn't would've been a really big deal had they called it correct. And then taking away the INT in the EZ after the receiver trips? There was the one moment I commented on when UH was clearly offside and ECU fumbled the ball and UH got it, for a few seconds we all thought they weren't going to throw the flag and act like UH wasn't offside, but that one would've been too obvious to explain away like they tried to do on the other ones so about 10 seconds after the play they threw the flag.

In the country I think my case for right now Pickett playing the best is pretty strong (no pun intended). Corral the only one I think has argument
I don't think anyone throws a ball as well as Pickett. Corral is right there with him and is a strong runner and competitor. I don't pay any attention to what kind of NFL prospect someone is, I'm only interested in how they play and how much they help their team and those two are the best I've seen this year.

I REALLY liked what Pickett said when interviewed on the field. The interview babe complimented him and asked something like, "what does it mean to you when you play this well and lead your team to such a great victory?" He said, "it doesn't mean anything if we don't beat Miami next week." That's my kind of guy.

Hope the whole team has that attitude because I'd like to bet Pitt this week if it makes sense

I don't think anyone throws a ball as well as Pickett. Corral is right there with him and is a strong runner and competitor. I don't pay any attention to what kind of NFL prospect someone is, I'm only interested in how they play and how much they help their team and those two are the best I've seen this year.

I REALLY liked what Pickett said when interviewed on the field. The interview babe complimented him and asked something like, "what does it mean to you when you play this well and lead your team to such a great victory?" He said, "it doesn't mean anything if we don't beat Miami next week." That's my kind of guy.

Hope the whole team has that attitude because I'd like to bet Pitt this week if it makes sense

you left off best part of pickett interview, forget his exact words but something like "gonna go pop a cold one then focus on miami"!! def my kind of guy, im sure that nothing unusual but they never say it!!!! im glad someone seeing what i am!! i assume i watch way more acc than most, when everyone in the in-game thread talking bout the big sec or big10 game going on i got 2 screens with middling acc teams doing battle!!! lol. Last week was rare exception where lots were following clemson/pitt. kid is a gamer who always seems to rise and make a throw or even tuck and run to get key 1st down to help his team win.. im torn on how i feel bout them losing to western michigan (think it was them, one the mac Michigan schools, lol), on one hand it a bummer that game keeps them out the playoff talk,, on the other it also kept them from having a high ranking that would make more ppl take notice!! Pickett was his typical fantastic self (as he should be vs a team like that), the offense hung 41, the defense was so awful tho. that was the game he threw his only int which pretty damn impressive considering he throwing 38ish passes a game!!

Back