Week 8 (10/18-10/20) CFB Picks and News

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
39-32 (54.93%) +11.92 Units

------------------

4-6 last week and got lucky on one IMO (BC -12), unlucky on another (South Car), and absolutely fucked on another (BYU getting jobbed by shady UNLV). In all honesty I should have finished 4-5 with BYU being a push and saving me another 6.6 units.

Moving on to this week, I am resizing back to 5 units a game. Unpredictable year. Likely dog winners get blown out by huge chalk and likely huge chalk winners can't deliver. Change your approach and get fucked another way. Some are having good years so far (Jump and CB for example), some are struggling in positive real estate (I'd place me here), others struggling in negative territory, and others getting killed.

Let's hope for a better Week 8. :cheers:

Plays

Texas -24 (-120) ($1,000)
OU -28 (-110)
L-ville -2.5 (-110)
Washington +13 (-103)
UNM -8 (-110)
Auburn +10 (+104)
Notre Dame +17 (-110)

Leans
Kansas
Aggy
Florida
USF
Cincy
Notre Dame
Michigan State

Last edited:
Where Do LSU's National Title Hopes Stand?

Posted Oct 14th 2007 10:30AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: LSU Football, SEC, BCS, Kentucky Football
lsu-loses.jpg

With their loss to #17 Kentucky, LSU now joins the ranks of 1-loss teams crowding the Top 10.

Are they now on the outside looking in?

The AP Top 5 prior to yesterday:

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD>1. LSU (65) 6-0 1,625</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>2. California 5-0 1,538</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>3. Ohio State 6-0 1,511</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>4. Boston College 6-0 1,346</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>5. South Florida 5-0 1,339</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Numbers one and two both lost. Clearly Ohio State, Boston College, and South Florida are in a position to clean up here.

The remaining five teams in the Top 10 have one loss:

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow><TD>6. Oklahoma 5-1 1,221</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>7. South Carolina 5-1 1,183</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>8. West Virginia 5-1 1,059</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>9. Oregon 4-1 1,047</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>10. USC 4-1 1,024</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
LSU's loss to 17th-ranked, one loss Kentucky: better than Oklahoma losing to Colorado? I say yes.

South Carolina's loss came head to head against LSU, so they shouldn't be ranked ahead of the Tigers.

West Virginia lost to USF when they were just cracking the Top 20. WVU's overrated anyway.

Oregon lost to #6 Cal at the end of September. Arguably (?) a better loss. They also just pummeled the hell out of Washington State, 53-7.

And USC? Forget it. Worst loss of the bunch, 24-23 at home vs. Stanford.

Net result: I think Kentucky has to become the nation's best 1-loss team, and LSU should slide right behind them.

Problem: what to do with Ohio State and Boston College?

Ohio State has beaten only one team worth a damn this year -- #23 Purdue. They were unimpressive against Akron, winning 20-2, but that was early in the year. They've put up some big point games, but look at the competition: Kent State... YSU... Northwestern.

Ohio State's schedule is very, very weak. But they're unbeaten and they've been scoring many points lately. You're probably looking at the team with the easiest path in history to a national championship, a path forged by teams losing all around them. Worth complaining about? Not really -- this is college football. There's a reasonable enough argument that they're #1, at least on paper, although heaven help them if they draw LSU in a bowl or championship game.

Boston College's story is very similar. Remaining games against Va Tech, Florida State, and Miami are their headliners, but the ACC is just so weak from top to bottom this year. They stand an excellent chance of running the table, just like OSU.

What about South Florida? I say they're the true #1 team in the land. (Gawd, did I really just say that?) They beat Auburn, who have turned out not to be quite so bad as everyone thought, at home. They also beat #5 West Virginia, although I felt USF should have been favored to win that one. On Saturday they beat a 3-3 UCF team who took Texas to the wire in their home opener. Beat 'em bad, real bad: 64-12.

Remaining games ought to be a veritable cakewalk for the Bulls. Rutgers, Cincy, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pittsburgh remain. Hey, if Ohio State and Michigan get to enjoy national title consideration every year thanks to an inherently shallow conference, so should USF.

Also floating in the mix: Arizona State, Hawaii, and Kansas. Sorry, I just can't take any of these teams seriously.

For LSU, here's the reality: three potential undefeated teams at the end of the season. And a lone 1-loss team who beat them head-to-head, who should by all rights be ranked above the Tigers... Kentucky.

Yep. Someone's gotta stumble now for the Tigers to make it.

It goes without saying that LSU has to win the SEC Championship to be considered for the title game. At the moment, odds seem to favor the SEC East being represented by Kentucky first and Florida second. If you're a Tiger fan, start praying for Tennessee to win out. Summing it up:

LSU's title hopes: They're not on life support. But they took a huge hit. With the wackiness of the '07 season, we're looking at some very iffy top-ranked teams who've fallen into the #1 slot, and it's not going to be easy to dislodge them. If it comes down to it, LSU will have to hope that their resume is impressive enough to be voted into the title game with one loss over an undefeated team with a questionable resume.

Les Miles: Maybe it was too early to say the Les Miles Myth is dead, after all. Rich Brooks, for crying out loud, outcoached Les Miles. Badly. Maybe he'll be roaming the sidelines at Michigan Stadium next year.

This Year's Undefeateds: Weakest crop I've ever seen, but this is how it works in college athletics. You win your games, you advance and you survive. Ohio State, BC and South Florida have done that. I think USF clearly has the best resume, but I expect the pollsters to put Ohio State at #1 nonetheless.

Sucked back in

I was going to walk away from Saturday's game and not look back...but The 12th Manchild would just not let me do it...in a good way.

So, I now have to add The 12th Manchild to my blogroll and give them their props because this was too funny not to share.

Just wonder if the Texas A&M Engineers will call this one "Fat Boy 11" or "Little Fran."

And to put this week to rest I want to share this video with you - just please ignore the fact that Opie gives the lead-in...

Bubba (click on the red video link above the picture of the smoker and bus) the T-Shirt Fan that makes us all regret attaching such a negative connotation to that term. Thanks Bubba, for being a good man and not throwing batteries at Aggies ;)

Hey, Houston Nutt: Is that Dick in Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy To See Us?

Posted Oct 14th 2007 9:13AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Auburn Football, SEC, Arkansas Football
arkansas-nut-crouching-240sm.jpg
Just like the rest of yesterday's ridiculous, edge-of-your-seat SEC games, Auburn @ Arkansas kept you riveted to the screen until the final seconds. That's because Casey Dick, Arkansas' unfortunate quarterback, couldn't make a throw to save his life.

When Arkansas put together a miracle drive for their single score of the evening -- a TD to take a 7-6 lead with 1:36 to go -- I felt I already knew what was going to happen.

And it did. The Curse of the Razorbacks struck again as Auburn found their stride for the first time of the evening. They easily marched downfield to set up a chip shot field goal with only :21 left on the cock. Final: 9-7. (FanHouse predicted an Auburn victory, but... oh, not like this.)

The stats? Ugly for both teams. Auburn was only 1-13 on 3rd down, Arkansas 3-13. The Razorbacks passed for 126 yards, which actually exceed Brandon Cox's anemic 101 yard output.

Most surprising stat? The Hogs only rushed 67 yards to the Tigers' 189. Darren McFadden rushed for only 43. His Heisman campaign, while not officially over, is flirting with the same abyss that Houston Nutt's career has been peering into all season long.

Oh, and Arky lost 100 yards on penalties.

And most importantly: yet again, Arkansas' complete and utter lack of any competency at the signal-caller position cost them any opportunity to win this game. One could argue that had Arkansas found a good walk-on, like, say, Ole Miss' Seth Adams, they might be undefeated in conference play right now. Sure, Marcus Monk is injured and the Razorbacks' receiving corps isn't very good, either. But whose fault is all of this, anyway?

The longer C. Dick stays in that pocket, the softer and more flaccid the Arkansas offense will become.

Meet The New Big Ten, Same As The Old Big Ten

Posted Oct 14th 2007 8:00AM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Michigan Football, Ohio State Football, Big 10
sameolbig10.jpg

I tell you, the more things change, the more they stay exactly the same as they always are. In a college football world gone mad with upsets and surprising teams, it at first appeared the Big Ten wasn't going to be any different than any other conference this year.

Be it the strong starts of Illinois and Indiana, or the struggles of Penn State and Iowa, it seemed like the balance of power in the Big Ten was starting to shift. For the love of God, Michigan lost it's first two games at home to Appalachian State and Oregon!

Appearances, though, they can be deceiving.

Just when you thought madness had hit the Big Ten, Saturday came and brought us all back to a very familiar scene in the Big Ten standings.

1. Ohio State (3-0)
2. Michigan (3-0)

With Illinois' loss on Saturday in Iowa, and Wisconsin getting shellacked by the Nittany Lions for their second straight loss, Ohio State and Michigan are once again the big dogs on the block in the Big Ten.

So much like last season, and just about every season before it, it appears that the Ohio State/Michigan game on November 17th is going to settle the conference title once again. Ohio State still has to play both Wisconsin and Michigan, and granted with the way things have worked in college football this year, the Buckeyes are quite capable of losing at least one of those games. Fortunately for them, both will be played in Columbus, and the Buckeyes will likely prevail.

Michigan on the other hand has to travel to Champaign next week, and though Illinois isn't so scary anymore, they still run the kind of spread option attack that gives Big Blue fits. They also still have to play Wisconsin at Camp Randall, but depending on the status of Mike Hart's ankle, Michigan will probably come away with two victories in those games.

Even if Michigan does lose one of those games, they'll still have a shot to win the Big Ten when the Buckeyes roll into Ann Arbor, and more importantly, they could have a shot to kill Ohio State's national title hopes.

Is Charlie Weis Watching The Same Team I Am?

Posted Oct 14th 2007 1:25AM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, NCAA FB Coaching
makethechangecharlie.jpg
I'm pretty disappointed that Notre Dame's monstrous one-game win streak came to an end on Saturday evening in South Bend, but I'm not surprised. I don't think any Irish fan that's actually watched this team play in 2007 thought the Irish really had a chance to beat Boston College. That's like Stanford beating USC or something.

What bothers me is that I don't think Charlie Weis is watching the same game I am. He can't be. If he was, there is no way Jimmy Clausen would still be starting. I called for the quarterback change a few weeks ago when Evan Sharpley came in for an injured Clausen, and almost led the Irish to a comeback win against Purdue.

I could see it then, and I could see it again yesterday; The Irish offense actually seems to have a rhythm and flow to it when Sharpley lines up under center.

Sharpley came into the game on Saturday for Notre Dame trailing Boston College 20-0. Seven plays and 59 seconds later the Sharpley was finding Robby Parris for a touchdown pass to make it 20-7. Admittedly, Sharpley didn't do much after that, but he still outperformed Jimmy Clausen.

The Irish won last week with Clausen as the starter, but did you see his numbers for the game? He was 17/27 for 84 yards. 84 yards!! That's a whopping 4.9 yards per completion.

When Sharpley comes into the game, he doesn't magically transform the offensive line into a respectable unit or anything, but at least he provides a threat. When Clausen is in the game, the Irish throw nothing but flat routes and slants. Whether it's due to Clausen's off-season surgery, or just his arm, Charlie Weis is obviously not confident in his ability to throw the deep ball.

Which is exactly why Sharpley needs to play. With the team as currently constructed, the only way the Irish can beat somebody on offense is with big plays. They sure as hell aren't going to do it with long, time-consuming drives. They've proven that to everybody repeatedly.

So if you need big plays on offense to win, doesn't it make sense to play the quarterback with big play capability? I was angry enough with Weis when he left Clausen in as the starter after the Purdue game, if he leaves Clausen in against USC next week, I'll be joining that ever growing throng of people who want Weis gone.

Postgame React: Iowa State

by HornsFan Sat Oct 13, 2007 at 11:20:55 PM EDT

How committed am I to talking Texas football with you? I'm sitting down during my Chicago weekend to bang out a post before heading out. That's love, people. True love.
The outcome was: Delightful. Hey, Iowa State is a bad football team. Sadly - amazingly - there isn't much to differentiate this from the win over Rice. Still, this was a game we needed to see. The Longhorns took the field against an inferior opponent and throttled 'em. That's how it's supposed to go.
The Offensive MVP was: Colt McCoy. You know, for all the trouble Colt's had this year, and for all the re-evaluating we've had to do, if there's one thing McCoy keeps proving it's that he's a gutty, tough, bounce-back, winner of a kid. Whether the coaching staff can make this an elite offense with McCoy remains to be seen, but even if you skeptically wonder whether we need to start giving John Chiles more snaps, it's impossible not to like Colt McCoy. Even when Texas' offense looks broken, he's out there scrapping to make a play. I respect this young man a lot.
The Defensive MVP was: Sergio Kindle and Lamarr Houston. I couldn't choose between the two, so let's take a moment to shake our heads in awe at each. Houston has a motor that just won't quit, but unlike Aaron Lewis, he's not just determined - he's also physically gifted. As for Kindle? The slow start to his career at Texas made it easy to forget how highly touted a prospect he was when he arrived. We're starting to see it.
The offensive Offensive Player Of The Week was: Nah, let's not go there. All these young men played well. It was easy to be a Longhorn fan today.
The offensive Defensive Player Of The Week was: Again, let's just not. We've spent so much time being frustrated this season; let's take a day just to clap for the guys and their performance. Iowa State managed just 228 yards of total offense and 3 points.
John Chiles Watch: 9 carries, 58 yards, 1 TD. 0-1 passing. He sure can look slick out there, can't he? As great an effort as McCoy had today, it was nice to see Chiles get some action. Again, even if the coaches firmly believe that McCoy is the best quarterback for Texas for the next two and a half years, it's not debatable that they need to have a contingency plan. More than that, there's positively no reason to assume McCoy has to be the main man. He may very well be, but it would be positively stupid not to see what else you've got with Chiles.
Again, this is basic stuff: maximize your options, be flexible, plan thoughtfully for the future.
Vondrell McGee Watch: 7 carries, 26 yards. Let's just say it wasn't the young man's finest afternoon and leave it at that. We clamor about the coaches needing to play more the guys with difference-making talent, but it's also on these players to make the most of it. With that said? It's indisputable that players succeed when you place trust in them, use them in meaningful situations, and let them work.
Baylor Fear Factor: 0 out of 10.... (5) is the baseline. (-1) for Texas took care of business today. (-1) for the season's big goals being long shots. (-1) for this defense is pretty darn solid. (-2) for Baylor is a bad football team.
Heading into next week I feel: Apprehensive. Not because I think Texas can, should, or will struggle with Baylor, but because I worry that decisive results against bad teams will prevent the staff from looking critically enough at the big questions we've been tackling in our midseason reviews. It's one thing to make changes against the bad teams. Can they be sustained when Texas plays better competition?
Honestly? I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest of this season, insofar as I believe that having two losses - among them an ugly home loss to Kansas State - should help this team work on developing players for 2008 and beyond. The key now is for the coaching staff to embrace this transition opportunity. Not just against Iowa State and Baylor, but throughout the rest of the season.
If they do, this season can be an interesting development showcase of the future of this team.
Quote of the day: SP: "We're looking at a big blowout here, don't you think?" PB: "Well, yeah. I mean, 35-10 or so sounds right. A comfortable win, but maybe not a thrashing." SP: "Bah - I'm guessing 57-3." Three hours later. PB: "You were way off. Way, way off."

wow they really sucked off UK hard in that first article. Yea, they won the game, good job. Where I disagree is with them being the front runner for the east. They have yet to play Tennesee, Florida, UGA, Vandy and they did lose to SC, I guess the writer forgot that. Look at this stretch of games they are embarking on, thats 7 conference games in a row.

@ SC, LSU, Florida, Miss St, @ Vandy, @UGA, Tennessee..

SEC-East = hardest division in football. There are 5 ranked teams out of 6 and 5 bowl teams out of 6.

This Story Sums Up My Feelings Exactly

HEY 2007: I THINK I LOVE YOU. SO WHAT AM I SO AFRAID OF?
By SMQ
Posted on Sat Oct 13, 2007 at 11:11:22 PM EDT
</I>

I give up. I'm going to a party, and maybe when I get back, for one fleeting, inebriated moment, this season will make sense.
ab53aaa1_451e_4bac_b8c7_9d4d7249d466.jpg
But I won't love it any more.

Cal Didn't Want To Be #1 Either

Posted Oct 13th 2007 10:51PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: California Football, Oregon State Football
jeff-tedford-180.jpg
I see you Kentucky over LSU, and I raise you Oregon State over California.

A linear, predictable season is just not in the cards for college football v. 2007. I'm all for an upset now and then but this is getting to be ri-gosh-darn-diculous.

If you've ever coached football, you don't even want to know how Cal's otherwise heroic backup quarterback ended his team's hope late in the game. Let's just say it was a Chris Webber-like moment. With 14 seconds left, trailing by three with no timeouts and ball inside the 20, Cal lined up to attempt one last pass before they planned to line up for a tying field goal.

That all went bust when quarterback Kevin Riley scrambled instead of attempting a pass or throwing the ball away. The clock then ticked down as he randomly ran off the field with the ball instead of attempting to spike it.

The collection of geniuses (well, mostly, in theory, maybe?) that comprise the Cal student body refuses to leave the stands they're that stunned at the stupidity of the moment. Coach Jeff Tedford's reaction was agonizing and horrible and sad all at the same time.

Oregon State 31 - California 28

And so this very weird 2007 season goes on.

Virginia Is a Top-25 Team?

Posted Oct 13th 2007 7:38PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Virginia Football, ACC, Big East, Connecticut Football
virginiafball.jpg
At the very end of the <STRIKE>conflict</STRIKE> <STRIKE>clash</STRIKE> <STRIKE>battle</STRIKE> Rotary meeting between UConn and Virginia one of the ESPNU play-calling crew (Doug Bell or Charles Arbuckle) asserted that Virginia would be in the top-25 with its 17-16 win at home over UConn, to move the Hoos to 6-1.

Say what? Yes Virginia is unbeaten in the ACC. Sure UConn had been 5-0 and one of eleven remaining undefeated teams left in 1-A football, but they were also the only one of them not to be ranked in the top-25. I realize that the number of possible top-25 teams is shallower and shallower each week, but Virginia?

Losing to Wyoming in the opening game? Eking out 2 point wins over Middle Tennessee State and North Carolina? Aside from 4-3 GT, this was only the Hoos 2nd win against a team that has a .500 or better record. Surely somewhere in 1-A there has to be a better choice.

Ouch!

That one hurt. Iowa was a desparate team who played well at home, and the Illini seemed easily rattled. Iowa showed the Illini that they have lots of room for improvement.
  • Pass defense. I've said this before, and although there were still plenty of immediate hits on receivers, Christensen had too many completions, often for 3rd down conversions. Like Donovan of Wisconsin, we are allowing QBs way too much time to find an open man.
  • Punting. It's nerve-wracking. Let's make this a primary focus of the class of 2008, ok Ron?
  • The defense that allowed Indiana to move easily down the field but often kept the Hoosiers out of the end zone showed up again today. Iowa moved easily, and their lack of faith in the kicking game helped the Illini significantly. Field goals instead of going for it on 4th down would have made the game look quite different.
  • Killer instinct. That's what seemed to be lacking when the offense failed to score a touchdown with 1st-and-goal inside the 5. And, when the defense allowed a 22-yard pass completion on 3rd-and-18. But this takes time to develop, and these Illini are still learning how to win.
  • Turnovers. We've improved quite a bit, but although we only turned the ball over twice, both were costly. Juice fumbled in the middle of what looked like a long, promising drive, and McGee's interception was a heartbreaker (and a game-ender).
However, this team is miles ahead of where I expected them to be at the beginning of the season. I hate that of all teams, we lost to Iowa, but although this loss was disappointing, there are still positives:
  • Benn is amazing. He didn't get the ball as much as I would have liked to see, but he changes games. The first man does not bring him down, and he doesn't give up. Note the attitude this kid takes on the field. It's not much of a stretch to see how he could be sold on being the catalyst to turn an entire program around.
  • Despite the mistakes and penalties, the Illini were very much in the game with under 2 minutes left and the ball. And I believed they had a chance to win. That would not have been the case, even last year when our losses were competitive.
  • Field goal kicking. Does anyone remember Reda's last trip to Iowa City? I do. He's from Rock Island, Ill., just an hour from Iowa City, and in front of a large group of family and friends, he had a miserable game. Today, he confidently hit a 46-yarder. And I expect 3 points when he's on the field, which wasn't the case a couple years ago.
At the beginning of the season, I figured Illinois would be about 3-4, at this point and would have to relearn how to win as they headed back to Champaign for Michigan and Ball State before having a legitimate shot at winning a road game in Minneapolis. Instead, we are 5-2, and although 6-1 would be wonderful, we should be bowl eligible by the end of the month. I was afraid that we would need to beat Northwestern to get to 6 wins. I hoped we would get one surprise win at home. We got two -- against ranked opponents (although I still maintain that this year's rankings are meaningless). Of course I want more, but we've come a long way, and these boys deserve a lot of credit for what they've accomplished.
Next week will be a tough game, as Michigan seems to have recovered from it's rough start and is undefeated in the Big Ten. But it should be exciting. We have a good, improving team. Michigan has proven to be vulnerable. It's a night game in Champaign. As long as the refs that did the 2000 game are far, far away, Illinois has a great chance at winning that one.

Badgers Defense Continues to Embarrass; Offense Follows Suit

Posted Oct 13th 2007 5:09PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Penn State Football, Wisconsin Football, Big 10, Florida Atlantic Football
amorelli.jpg
We've been closely following this Wisconsin team in 2007. After an unexpected 12-1 season in 2006, the Badgers appeared to be in good position to make a run at the Big Ten title this season, as they had quality starters back on both sides of the ball.

However, the Badgers have miserably failed to live up to those expectations, especially on defense. Even in wins over Washington State, UNLV, The Citadel, Iowa, and Michigan State, the Badgers spent time playing from behind, and their defense spent time being run ragged by offenses that range from pretty good (MSU) to rather pathetic (UNLV) to I-AA (The Citadel).

Last week, the poor defense finally caught up with Bucky, as Illinois ran for nearly 300 yards in a 31-26 win. The road didn't get any tougher today, as Wisconsin visited Penn State. The Nittany Lions got the game off to a good start, forcing a P.J. Hill fumble on the first play from scrimmage. It took them three plays to turn that fumble into six points, and Wisconsin was quickly down 7-0.

The Badgers were down 10-0 when the offense put together a quality drive for a touchdown. Unfortunately for Wisconsin, it's the only scoring drive they've had all afternoon. The Badger defense has been manhandled throughout the half. The crowning achievement came on a fourth down play from the Wisconsin 19, as Evan Royster cut to his left and ran in the end zone untouched.
Keep in mind that this was a very good Wisconsin defense last year, finishing in the top ten nationally in some categories. This year, they're middle-of-the-pack in the country, and they've had little answer for most of the offenses they've faced.

Anthony Morelli was barely touched throughout the half, throwing for 174 yards and a score. Wisconsin starter Tyler Donovan, meanwhile, has thrown two picks, and Wisconsin has three turnovers. It looks like they've practically given up on what is a 24-7 game at halftime.

Why do I say that? Facing a fourth down and five inside Penn State territory with a bit less than a minute left in the first half, Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema trotted out the punt team, instructed them to take a delay penalty to get more room, and then punted the football.

Are you kidding me? Trailing 24-7, knowing that your team has to kick off to start the second half, you punt on the opponents' side of the field in the final minute of the half? I think it's time for ABC to switch this regional audience to a "more competive game". Arizona-USC, anyone?

Give Penn State credit. They're swarming on defense and taking advantage of a clearly rattled Wisconsin defense. However, how is this Wisconsin team, which looked so good last year, so bad now with many of the same players still around?

Gophers Suffer Epic Collapse

Posted Oct 13th 2007 4:57PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Minnesota Football, Northwestern Football, Big 10
pat-fitzgerald.jpg
As the third quarter wound down Saturday in Evanston, it appeared Minnesota was well on their way to getting their first Big Ten win under coach Tim Brewster.

However, Northwestern had other ideas, and for the second straight week, the Wildcats won an exciting, high-scoring game. It took a comeback from a 21-point deficit, along with a stop on a two-point conversion attempt in double-overtime, but the Wildcats stunned Minnesota 49-48. As a result, hopes for bowl eligibility for Northwestern are alive and well. That bowl bid would be huge for second-year head coach Pat Fitzgerald.

Four Adam Weber touchdown passes had the Gophers up 35-14 late in the third quarter, and a defense that had been maligned for not making enough plays made a play. With Northwestern driving, the Gophers forced a fumble inside their ten, and they took possession at the 13. Three running plays netted Minnesota a first down, but Weber was intercepted on that first-down play, giving the Wildcat offense the ball with great field position. C.J. Bacher cashed in on the first play with a touchdown pass to make it 35-21.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, the Gophers faced a third-and-five at their 45, and Weber was intercepted again. This pick also led to a Northwestern touchdown, as Bacher ran it in from six yards out on fourth down. The Gophers still had the lead, but it was quite precarious at 35-28.

After an exchange of punts, the Gophers drove into field goal range, eating quite a bit of time off the clock with an 11-play drive. However, Weber missed on a third-down play, and then Joel Monroe misfired on a 44-yard field goal attempt. That gave Northwestern the ball on their 27 with 1:59 left, and Bacher went to work. He hit four of six passes, driving NU down to the four-yard-line, where they faced a fourth-and-goal play. Each team used a timeout before the play, and then Bacher hit Eric Peterman for the game-tying touchdown.

Weber hit Ernie Wheelwright for a score on the first possession of overtime, and Northwestern answered with a tying score. The Wildcats then got the ball first in the second overtime and scored to take a 49-42 lead. When Weber answered with a touchdown run of his own, the Gophers had a decision to make, and Brewster elected to go for two. You can debate the merits of that call all you want, but look at the facts.

Brewster knew his offense could score, basically at will. But the Gophers have been accident-prone all season, and when the offense does turn it over, it often leads to points because of Minnesota's defense, which is the worst in the Big Ten and in Division I-A (er, FBS). Sure enough, that defense did play a huge role in the Gophers' losses to Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic, and it also had a hand in Minnesota losing a 16-point lead against Miami (Ohio) and needing triple-overtime to win.

Weber's two-point pass fell incomplete, and Northwestern had a huge win. Their record is now 4-3 overall, and 2-2 in league play. Minnesota falls to 1-6 overall, 0-4 in Big Ten play, and that horrible defense now has to deal with North Dakota State next week. Sure, they're a I-AA (er, FCS) team, but they are number one in that division, and the Gophers needed a blocked field goal on the final play to secure a 10-9 win over NDSU last year. A loss to the Bison would cement this as the worst Gopher team since the Jim Wacker era.

Groundhog Day

Last week, versus a better opponent than his Boilers, Joe Tiller's team was exposed as a pretender. This week, versus a more-talented Michigan team, Tiller's bunch was flat-out embarrassed.

Regular visitors to our site know that I thought this was a loss back in August...I didn't think it'd be a game that should have been a 50-point loss in a 27-point loss' clothing. I'm pretty sure that Purdue will lose all of the games remaining on the schedule in which they are not favored. Where's that leave us? I don't know because a lot can happen to both Purdue and the competition in the next 5 weeks. But, I can tell you that Tiller should stop wasting the Boiler fans time and money and tell them not to even show up for games versus "better" competition...God knows the coaches have already told the players that there's no need to take the field.

Is this garbage getting old for EVERYBODY now? I don't think Tiller deserves to be fired, but I am past being ready for him to retire. Football is a game that needs emotion and "fire in the gut" to be played at a high level. Purdue's team and coaches look to me, that they have lost the fire. Last year it was Penn State and Wisconsin who took Purdue's will and urinated all over it. This year (so far) it's been Ohio State and Michigan. While I am not, nor will not question the effort out of the players, I will absolutely question the game plan and preparation by the coaches.

Tiller's philosophy of "no big games" makes itself more and more obvious each year. What it breaks down to is this- Purdue will beat teams that are simply not good and lose, or worse yet, get crushed when playing teams that have winning records...Our Boilers records have been inflated the last four years with wins over MAC opponents and the bottom third of the Big Ten. This year looks to be no different and Purdue will go to yet another midling bowl...Good news Boiler fans, the commute to the bowl might be easy this post-season as Detroit's Motor City Bowl seems to be a distinct possibility, to me. Let's hope the opponent isn't a team with a record much better than .500.

While the season is not over and there is a lot of football yet to be played, trends of the previous three seasons have once again made themselves evident...October continues to be a month off for Tiller & Co. Good teams continue to control our Boilers. And finally, Purdue's coaching staff looks to be extremely content being unranked, uninspired and unchanged from previous campaigns.

Painter played poorly as did Bryant, Lymon, Sheets, the defensive backfield and others...but I am not blaming the 19 & 20 year olds. I'm blaming the leadership for presenting a storyline that has become more-than-tired & completely predictable to the Purdue faithful over the past few seasons.

Let me close with one more point- I think I'd really like Joe Tiller as a neighbor and if we were acquaintances or friends. That said, I'm just pretty worn-out with him as the coach of my alma mater.

Rutgers Hasn't Shown Much

Posted Oct 13th 2007 3:33PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Syracuse Football, Big East, Rutgers Football
mteel1.jpg
Sure that could apply for the whole season, but this is just about the pasting they put on Syracuse. The Scarlet Knights spotted the Orange 14 points before reeling off 38 points of their own. Against a Syracuse team that was 1-5 and has a defense that allowed 35 or more points in all but one game, it's hard to be impressed.

Ray Rice has had a statistically great game with just shy of 200 yards (196), 3 TDs. If somehow possible, Mike Teel somehow had an unimpressive 300+ yard passing game. Against the weak Syracuse secondary and little pressure up front all game, he still managed to throw an opening drive interception.

The Rutgers defense had little problem generating pressure on Syracuse QB Andrew Robinson, sacking him 5 times. The one bright spot for Syracuse was RB Curtis Brinkley who had 98 yards on only 16 carries. Brinkley was inexplicably limited in touches even in the first half when Syracuse had a lead and the game (technically) was in doubt. One more question for 'Cuse coach Greg Robinson to answer.

Halfback not in uniform for second half versus Purdue

Posted: Saturday October 13, 2007 2:59PM; Updated: Saturday October 13, 2007 6:47PM
<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
t1_hart.jpg

Michigan's Mike Hart ran for 102 yards and two touchdowns before leaving the game with an ankle injury.
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan's Mike Hart was limited to playing just the first half Saturday against Purdue after appearing to hurt his right ankle.
"Talk to coach Carr," he said repeatedly as he walked off the field after the Wolverines won 48-21.
Hart limped to the sideline in the second quarter, then seemed to be relatively healthy in the second half as he smiled and laughed with teammates while watching the game.
"How much swelling and how he feels in these next couple of days will really be the determining factor on what it looks like in terms of him coming back," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "He's a tough guy, a quick healer."
Michigan plays next at No. 18 Illinois, and Hart's teammates expect him to be on the field.
"It's going to take a lot to keep Mike off that field," safety Jamar Adams said. "Somehow, he's going to find his way out there."
Against Purdue, Hart had 21 carries for 102 yards and two touchdowns that helped build a 31-7 halftime lead. He set a school record with his seventh straight 100-yard game.
Brandon Minor, Hart's backup, limped off the field during the first drive of the second half after he appeared to hurt his left ankle. Minor was later carted off the field and left the stadium with a protective boot covering his left foot.
Third-string running back Carlos Brown scored twice in the fourth quarter.
Hart became Michigan's career rushing leader last week and entered Saturday's game leading the nation with 976 yards this season and 4,655 in his career.
The senior moved past Wisconsin's Anthony Davis for fifth among the Big Ten's career rushing leaders. He trails Wisconsin's Ron Dayne -- who ran for a conference-record 7,125 yards -- Ohio State's Archie Griffin, Indiana's Anthony Thompson and Michigan State's Lorenzo White.
Hart finished fifth in Heisman Trophy voting last year.
He added to his bid to win the award with a made-for-TV play late in the first quarter. He ran to the left, landed on his back atop a teammate, rolled off, kept himself off the turf by extending his right arm and scored on an 11-yard run.

Iowa Upsets Illinois

Posted Oct 13th 2007 2:50PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Iowa Football, Big 10, Illinois Football, Breaking News, The Word
jake-christensen.gif
Illinois was in trouble at halftime, and they may have just lost the national ranking they worked so hard to attain.

One week after a great win over Wisconsin, the Illini stumbled badly in Iowa City, losing 10-6. With the win, Iowa breaks losing streaks of four games overall and eight games in Big Ten play.

Iowa tied the game 3-3 late in the first half, but the Illini came out like a house of fire on their opening drive of the third quarter. Juice Williams hit his first three passes, and Illinois moved the ball inside the Iowa five-yard-line with relative ease. However, a missed block led to Rashard Mendenhall getting stuffed on a second-and-goal option play. Illinois had to settle for a field goal, and Iowa's defense had seized a bit of momentum out of the sequence.

The Iowa offense had little luck in the first half once they got inside Illinois' half of the field. With just three points on four trips to Illinois territory, the Hawkeyes had every reason to believe they could find the end zone. Well, they did.

Illinois' Anthony Santella launched a 28-yard punt, and Iowa got it at the Illini 46. A nine-play drive ended with Jake Christensen finding tight end Brandon Myers for a 20-yard score over the middle. Myers broke wide open on a basic seam route when Illinois' secondary seemed to get confused as to who was supposed to pick him up.

As the Illini offense struggled, coach Ron Zook took out starting quarterback Juice Williams in favor of Eddie McGee. You might remember McGee as the guy who got Illinois close to a huge season-opening comeback against Missouri after Williams was injured. McGee promptly hit an 83-yard touchdown pass that was called back because of an ineligible receiver downfield.

Illinois got the ball back late, and McGee led a wonderful-looking drive from their own 12 to inside the Iowa 20. However, McGee made a horrible mistake, throwing a ball into coverage with 1:12 left, and Iowa's Brett Greenwood made the easy interception near the goal line. After a couple Albert Young runs got Iowa a first down, the Hawkeyes ran out the clock to officially break their eight-game Big Ten losing streak.

For the game, Iowa's offense really played well against a tough defense. They only scored ten points, but they generated first downs and yardage on pretty much every series, and they did it with their straight-ahead running game and mistake-free play from Christensen.

Fair or not, Zook's decision to go with McGee for that final drive is going to be questioned. McGee made a crucial error to end the final drive against Missouri, and his error in this game was similarly egregious. He still looks like he's struggling to read defenses. Williams was nothing special in this game, but if he's your guy, don't you have to go with him in that situation? And if he's not your guy, why is he still starting every week? For Iowa, this is a huge win that may get them off the mat in Big Ten play.

You've Gotta Love Ole Miss QB Seth Adams

Posted Oct 13th 2007 1:51PM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Alabama Football, Mississippi Football, SEC
ole-miss-seth-adams.jpg
Isn't this the kind of Rudy-ish, college football underdog story we love in this sport?

Ole Miss' quarterback, Seth Adams, is a walk-on. He beat out scholarship incumbent Brent Schaeffer for the starting job over the summer. He's been a definitive upgrade at the position for the Rebs, and combined with the powerful running of BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss now fields a competent offense.

So far in the first half against Alabama, Adams is 7-11 for 75 yards and a TD. In the early part of the telecast it was revealed that he was up for most of last night vomiting, sick with some sort of virus, and took two IVs prior to the game today. Despite that he's still playing like a warrior, leading with poise and making great reads and throws to keep the ball moving.

Now if Ole Miss can just find some defense, they'll really have something.

Pssst, SEC fans: the Mississippi teams aren't a joke this year.

GIMME A SIREN!!!

369292644_ac8e8ea634_o.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
On EDSBS Live tonight (7 p.m. EST–9 p.m. EST), we’ll attempt to unravel the latest mad chapter of this novel of a season. Just know that on this Sunday, Rich Brooks has one things to say.
1569091127_a6016946e7.jpg

Michigan fans: Les Miles, put against the wall, showed his Michigan bloodlines on 4th and 2. He threw rock, as Brian would say.

You've Gotta Love Ole Miss QB Seth Adams

Posted Oct 13th 2007 1:51PM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Alabama Football, Mississippi Football, SEC
ole-miss-seth-adams.jpg
Isn't this the kind of Rudy-ish, college football underdog story we love in this sport?

Ole Miss' quarterback, Seth Adams, is a walk-on. He beat out scholarship incumbent Brent Schaeffer for the starting job over the summer. He's been a definitive upgrade at the position for the Rebs, and combined with the powerful running of BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss now fields a competent offense.

So far in the first half against Alabama, Adams is 7-11 for 75 yards and a TD. In the early part of the telecast it was revealed that he was up for most of last night vomiting, sick with some sort of virus, and took two IVs prior to the game today. Despite that he's still playing like a warrior, leading with poise and making great reads and throws to keep the ball moving.

Now if Ole Miss can just find some defense, they'll really have something.

Pssst, SEC fans: the Mississippi teams aren't a joke this year.

Gotta admore that in a QB! Adams gets a thumbs up in my book.

:cheers:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width=464 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=black12bold width=464 colSpan=9 height=30>AP Top 25</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e4b6a5><TD class=boxscoreheader>RANK</TD><TD class=boxscoreheader>TEAM</TD><TD class=boxscoreheader align=middle>RECORD</TD><TD class=boxscoreheader align=right>PTS</TD><TD class=boxscoreheader align=right>LAST</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>1</TD><TD class=black12>Ohio St. (50) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>7-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1599</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>3</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>2</TD><TD class=black12>South Florida (11) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1503</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>3</TD><TD class=black12>Boston College (1) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>7-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1448</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>4</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>4</TD><TD class=black12>Oklahoma (1) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1399</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>6</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>5</TD><TD class=black12>LSU (1) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1331</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>6</TD><TD class=black12>South Carolina </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1247</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>7</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>7</TD><TD class=black12>Oregon </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1177</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>9</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>8</TD><TD class=black12>Kentucky </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1098</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>17</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>9</TD><TD class=black12>West Virginia </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1090</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>8</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>10</TD><TD class=black12>California </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>1065</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>11</TD><TD class=black12>Virginia Tech </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>951</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>12</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>12</TD><TD class=black12>Arizona St. (1) </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>7-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>948</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>14</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>13</TD><TD class=black12>Southern Cal </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>932</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>10</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>14</TD><TD class=black12>Florida </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>4-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>865</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>13</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>15</TD><TD class=black12>Kansas </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>664</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>20</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>15</TD><TD class=black12>Missouri </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>664</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>11</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>17</TD><TD class=black12>Hawaii </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>7-0</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>551</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>16</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>18</TD><TD class=black12>Auburn </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>488</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>22</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>19</TD><TD class=black12>Texas </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>348</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>23</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>20</TD><TD class=black12>Tennessee </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>4-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>339</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>25</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>21</TD><TD class=black12>Georgia </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>279</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>24</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>22</TD><TD class=black12>Texas Tech </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>241</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>NR</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>23</TD><TD class=black12>Cincinnati </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>6-1</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>194</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>15</TD></TR><TR class=section_lite><TD class=black12>24</TD><TD class=black12>Michigan </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>5-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>189</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>NR</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>25</TD><TD class=black12>Kansas St. </TD><TD class=black12 align=middle>4-2</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>107</TD><TD class=black12 align=right>NR</TD></TR><TR><TD width=464 colSpan=9>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12 width=464 colSpan=9>Others receiving votes: Penn St. 95, Virginia 85, Illinois 75, Boise St. 37, Alabama 27, Rutgers 18, Wake Forest 18, Wisconsin 18, Clemson 9, Connecticut 7, Florida St. 6, Maryland 6, Air Force 4, BYU 2, Troy 1.

First-place votes in parentheses</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE height=1073 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=inside-copy colSpan=6>
top25topper.gif

Oct. 14, 2007
</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=center><TD class=inside-copy width=48 bgColor=#990000>
Rank
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367 bgColor=#990000>Team (first-place votes)</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65 bgColor=#990000>
Record
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=68 bgColor=#990000>
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=75 bgColor=#990000>
Last week
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=48>
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Ohio State (56)</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
7-0​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=68>
1,495​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=75>
3​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Boston College (1)</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
7-0​
1,383​
4​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>South Florida (3)</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-0​
1,320​
5 (tie)​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Oklahoma
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
1,288​
5 (tie)​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>LSU </TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
1,173​
1​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Oregon</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
5-1​
1,077​
8​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>West Virginia</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
5-1​
1,007​
9​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>South Carolina</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
997​
12​
9. (tie)
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Southern California
5-1​
983​
7​
9. (tie)
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>California</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
5-1​
983​
2​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Virginia Tech</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
982​
10​
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=48 height=2>
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367 height=2>Arizona State</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65 height=2>
7-0​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=68 height=2>
936​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=75 height=2>
13​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Kentucky</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
874​
18​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Florida</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
4-2​
726​
14​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Kansas</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-0​
705​
20​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Hawaii</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
7-0​
558​
16​
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=48 height=18>
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367 height=18>Missouri</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65 height=18>
5-1​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=68 height=18>
519​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=75 height=18>
11​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Texas
5-2​
396​
22​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Auburn
5-2​
372​
25​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Georgia
5-2​
282​
23​
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=48 height=12>
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367 height=12>Texas Tech</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65 height=12>
6-1​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=68 height=12>
232​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=75 height=12>
NR​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Tennessee</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
4-2​
193​
NR​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Cincinnati
6-1​
192​
17​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367>Virginia</TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
6-1​
184​
NR​
</TD><TD class=inside-copy width=367></TD><TD class=inside-copy align=right width=65>
5-2​
128​
NR​
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy align=right colSpan=5> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy vAlign=center bgColor=#990000 colSpan=6 height=15>Dropped out</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy colSpan=6>
Dropped out: No. 15 Wisconsin (5-2, lost to then-unranked Penn State 38-7), No. 19 Illinois (5-2, lost to Iowa 10-6), No. 21 Florida State (4-2, lost to Wake Forest 24-21), No. 24 Purdue (5-2, lost to Michigan 48-20).

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy vAlign=center bgColor=#990000 colSpan=6 height=15>Others receiving votes</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inside-copy colSpan=6 height=81>
Receiving votes: Michigan (5-2) 127; Wisconsin (5-2) 82; Boise State (4-1) 61; Illinois (5-2) 59; Kansas State (4-2) 42; Rutgers (4-2) 25; Purdue (5-2) 19; Florida State (4-2) 16; Maryland (4-2) 15; Alabama (5-2) 13; Wake Forest (4-2) 12; Clemson (4-2) 9; Louisville (4-3) 9; Brigham Young (4-2) 8; Michigan State (5-2) 8; Connecticut (5-1) 7; Fresno State (4-2) 2; Wyoming (4-2) 1.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Big 12 Roundup: A&M, Nebraska on the Brink

by HornsFan Sun Oct 14, 2007 at 12:05:03 PM EDT

It was another wild week in college football in general, but the favorites took care of business in the Big 12.
b12standings7.JPG

Oklahoma 41 Missouri 31
Game Box Score
Fast start? Check. Control OU rushing game? Check. Three hundred fifty yards passing for Chase Daniel? Check.
In looking ahead at this game, the keys for Missouri were to get off to a good start, not let Oklahoma dominate the game with rushing, and pick on an Oklahoma secondary which has been somewhat vulnerable. They did all that reasonably well, but still fell well short of a road upset against the Sooners.
What happened? Oklahoma picked up four turnovers - including two interceptions of Chase Daniel, as well as a Daniels fumble returned for a touchdown. Meanwhile, Sam Bradford was exceptionally steady, completing 23 of his 34 pass attempts for 266 yards and 2 touchdowns (0 interceptions). Bradford threw a pair of touchdown passes in the first half and managed the game for Oklahoma like a senior, helping Oklahoma successfully convert 10 of its 14 third downs.
Missouri did outgain the Sooners on the day, but the Tigers never were able to establish any offensive rhythm. Chase Daniel was scrambling for his life all night, picking up the bulk of his yards in the second half when Oklahoma was protecting a lead. The Tigers' 30 rush attempts netted a meager 57 yards. It was, in the end, just a solid, well-executed effort from Oklahoma at home. With the win, they remain in the national title conversation. Which is disgusting.
<INS>Next for Missouri: vs Texas Tech
Next for Oklahoma: at Iowa State</INS>
Texas Tech 35 Texas A&M 7
Game Box Score
If Frannypants wasn't doomed before Saturday, he is now. The Aggies' 35-7 loss to Texas Tech in Lubbock yesterday embarrassed Aggie fans so deeply that I spotted two separate threads on TexAgs clamoring for RC Slocum. Compared to the FranMan, I suppose that's a justifiable feeling.
Texas Tech's Graham Harrell lit up the A&M secondary for 425 yards, including 3 touchdowns, while Mike Leach wisely gave Shannon Woods 21 carries to keep the Aggies honest up front. On the flipside, Stephen McGee continues to resemble a junior varsity passer, completing just 17 of 30 passes for 133 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Aggie fans like to point to his rushing abilities, but the guy's not dangerous enough a runner to justify tolerating those kind of passing numbers. I suppose "gritty and tough" is preferable to some over "competent at throwing," but it wouldn't be my first choice. If I were an A&M fan, I'd be clamoring for Jerrod Johnson immediately.
Michael Crabtree continued his assault on the record books, hauling in another 8 passes for 170 yards. For the first time in his career, the redshirt freshman didn't catch a touchdown, but he was once more a nightmare for the defense.
It should be noted that some of Graham Harrell's excellence is underappreciated because he plays in Mike Leach's system, but Harrell is having an incredible season, improving his efficiency significantly across the board. Harrell's completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD:INT ratio, and sacks taken are all improved over a year ago.
<INS>Next for Texas A&M: at Nebraska
Next for Texas Tech: at Missouri</INS>
Kansas Stsate 47 Colorado 20
Game Box Score
Cody Hawkins: 19/41, 223 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
Josh Freeman: 15/27, 214 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Colorado rushing: 36 rushes, 188 yards, 5.2 per attempt
Kansas State rushing: 39 rushes, 249 yards, 6.4 per attempt
Any questions? This win must have been at least a little bit bittersweet for K-State fans: while the Wildcats showed once more how strong they can be when they're playing their game, the week-to-week consistency is still lacking. Losing last week at home to Kansas hurts the team far more than this week's impressive win helps.
For the Buffalos, they're clearly much better than a year ago, but still have a ways to go. Cody Hawkins seems to be boom or bust. If he's making plays, Colorado can wreak havoc. If he's struggling, Colorado's doomed.
<INS>Next for Colorado: vs Kansas
Next for Kansas State: at Oklahoma State</INS>
Kansas 58 Baylor 10
Game Box Score
Baylor is a bad, bad football team. Conversely, Kansas is good? Surprise, surprise, but it is so: the Jayhawks are playing great football this season and now sit alone atop the Big 12 North at 2-0. Can Kansas run the table the rest of the way?
It's possible, but Kansas would have to win three times on the road - at Colorado next week, at College Station the week after, and at Stillwater on November 10th. If they manage to win those three, they'll likely be undefeated on 11/24 when they host Missouri.
Is Kansas really as good as their record, though? They've essentially played one good team all year, but they won that game, on the road. And unlike a lot of teams ahead of them in the rankings, they've thoroughly slaughtered their crummy opponents. It's time to take Kansas seriously.
<INS>Next for Baylor: vs Texas
Next for Kansas: at Colorado</INS>
Oklahoma State 45 Nebraska 14
Game Box Score
Things are disturbingly bad in Lincoln right now, with one Husker blogger noting that the team doesn't seem to care, the coaches are incompetent, and fans should prepare for the worst case scenario - a 4-8 season.
Nebraska tried in vain to beat Oklahoma State with the ground game, and though they did manage 200 yards on the ground, it took them 50 carries to get there. Conversely, Oklahoma State picked up 317 yards on an equal number of carries. The Cowpokes didn't turn the ball over; Nebraska gave it away three times.
Note, too, that Oklahoma State led this thing 38-0 at half. Did I mention this game was played in Lincoln? What a mess.
The fans of the loser of next week's A&M-Nebraska game are going to be deeply depressed. If they're not already.
<INS>Next up for Oklahoma State: vs Kansas State
Next up for Nebraska: vs Texas A&M</INS>

Team Grades: Week 7

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>A+:

USF-The Bulls throttled UCF and, you know, the Knights aren’t exactly a terrible football team. They didn’t let Kevin Smith get going at all and Matt Grothe had a huge day. The defense for the Bulls is the real deal and that’s why they’re so darn good.

Kansas-The Jayhawks were excellent as Mother Nature couldn’t even stop them. The game was delayed twice, but it had no effect on Kansas at all. Kansas won the game 58-10 looking very deserving of their top 25 ranking.

Oklahoma State-The Cowboys were awesome stepping into Memorial Stadium and trouncing the Cornhuskers. The game was 38-0 at one point and the rushing game amassed 317 yards! How did Nebraska become the Vegas favorite to win this game?

Kentucky-LSU is the best team in the nation and Kentucky, KENTUCKY, took them out! What a great victory for Rich Brooks and crew. I thought that the first OT touchdown for the Wildcats a rip-off, but they were probably going to score anyway so I’ll give them that one. Andre Woodson was cool and collected throughout the entire game. Terrific win.

Oregon-Wow, is Oregon good or what? 53-7 against an average Washington State football team. Dennis Dixon really tore them to shreds.

Texas Tech-Wow! The Red Raiders smoked Texas A&M. Crabtree didn’t catch any touchdowns, but Graham Harrell was great yet again with 425 yards and 3 TDs. What might be overlooked here is the defense for Texas Tech. A&M got some yards on the ground, but they couldn’t cash them in for points. It was a bend-don’t-break performance which is all they need to do to win.

Temple-Temple won! Temple won! TEMPLE WON! Wow. Congrats guys, you deserve it. They found a way to score three unanswered touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win the game.

Michigan State-Sparty is back! The Spartans really don’t appear to be headed for a downward spiral judging by their huge win over Indiana. Indiana isn’t a bad football team and MSU just came out fired up to prove a point. MSU had 19 more first downs, they outgained them by 369 yards, and Indiana was held to 22 yards rushing. Javon Ringer proved how, once again, he’s one of the most underrated backs in America.

A:

Ohio State-These guys made a case for being ranked #1 yesterday with a great game against Kent State. The Golden Flashes aren’t the greatest of opponents, I know, but the defense was really sound once again. They weren’t as stout against Eugene Jarvis as expected, but that might be because Jarvis is a really good running back.

Iowa-The Hawkeyes really played Illinois’ option game to perfection. They never let any huge plays happen and they just played their man and made their tackles. The defense was excellent while the offense, surprisingly enough, moved the football pretty well.

Texas-Iowa State is awful, but it was a great thing to see Texas finally, FINALLY, blow somebody out. Colt McCoy was brilliant as was the Longhorn defense.

Utah-The game against San Diego State wasn’t nearly as close as the score indicated. The Aztecs were out gained by 303 yards. The running game got going with Darrell Mack.

Oklahoma-The Sooners looked excellent against a solid Missouri team. The turnovers didn’t exactly set them up with a lot of field to work with, so that would explain Missouri having more yards. But OU did look like one of the better teams in the nation.

Oregon State-You have to give credit to the Beavers. They did the same thing in 2005 when they weren’t really expected to win against Cal. The biggest thing to take away from this game was the fact that Canfield didn’t throw an interception. That’s the only thing that’s holding Oregon State back from competing for the Pac-10 title. If he doesn’t mess up, OSU could be in the top tier of the Pac-10.

Arizona State-Did you see the Rudy Carpenter pass? He was pretty much getting strangled before completing that tough pass on 3rd down. Anyway, the game was really close, but all of a sudden, Arizona State exploded in the second half outscoring Washington 31-3.

A-:

Virginia Tech-Yes, it’s Duke, but this was the second game in a row where you really liked what you saw from Virginia Tech. Sean Glennon came off of the bench and play marvelously. The defense was great as usual keeping Duke to under 200 yards of offense.

Michigan-I like the Wolverines all of a sudden. These guys have strung five wins in a row including victories against Penn State and Purdue. Purdue isn’t a great team and they don’t do well at all against superior competition, but Michigan stuck it to them taking a 48-7 lead at one point. That’s impressive. Although the Hart injury could cause some issues.

Ole Miss-The Mississippi Rebels finally came up with a good performance under Ed Orgeron. Only problem was, it was a loss! That was tough one too considering Shay Hodge came in from out of bounds on the long pass.

Miami OH-The Redhawks were supposed to win this game, but like THAT? Bowling Green was in it for about one second before Miami OH shut the door on them. It really was a huge surprise. The offense got rolling easily tacking 499 yards on the board. The defense hasn’t played like that all year. They held the potent Bowling Green passing attack to 207 yards.

Boston College-This was another game where the score was closer than the actual game. Notre Dame only scored one offensive touchdown and the other one came on defense. Boston College racked up 459 yards and Matt Ryan was solid once again.

North Carolina-For a team that isn’t very good, Butch Davis has them playing at a high level. South Carolina is a top 15-type football team and the way he got UNC prepared to play was something really special. It’s a shame that they had to lose because they pretty much outplayed South Carolina.

Louisville-Hey, are the Cardinals back? Good question, I’m not so sure myself. The defense finally made some tackles, for once. There were still some blown coverages, but for the most part, it was a heckuva lot better than their defensive performances against Utah, Middle Tennessee, and Syracuse.

Arkansas State-Boy, were these guys impressive? 681 yards of offense! Reggie Arnold ran for 225 yards on 24 carries. It was 24-21 at one point before the Indians blew it open for a final score of 52-21.

Middle Tennessee-Wow! The only team that the Blue Raiders have been able to do this to was Louisville. They tacked on 490 yards of offense and it looks like Dwight Dasher is the guy. They did turn the ball over 4 times, but they did beat Memphis by 14 in a solid effort.

Kansas State-The Wildcats played awesome at home against a tough Colorado team. Their defense made Cody Hawkins play the worst game of his young career. Josh Freeman was solid yet again. A 27-point win is always nice.

B+:

Wake Forest-Is there any magic left? The Demon Deacons of Wake Forest came through with a huge victory against the Noles of FSU. They did it by almost gaining 400 yards against a super-tough FSU D. The Kenneth Moore TD pass really put things away for Wake.

Rutgers-After a stunning start to the football game, Rutgers pulled it back together and scored the last 38 points of the football game. It was a little bit alarming that they were this close to losing to a team that lost to Miami OH that got drilled 42-0 to Colorado, but it was a win nonetheless. Rice was decent.

Buffalo-The Bulls’ defense got torn to shreds, but how about James Starks? The guy ran for 244 yards and three scores! It was an impressive day for the guy and don’t look now, but Turner Gill is quietly turning Buffalo around a little bit.

New Mexico-The Lobos played a terrific game and the weather was no match for the guys from Albuquerque. New Mexico moved the ball very well against a stingy Wyoming defense.

Mississippi State-The Bulldogs actually looked somewhat decent against Tennessee last night. They were right in the thick of things before the Vols took over. For an offense that has been as stagnant as it has been over the last few weeks to manage 338 yards would be the equivalent of Texas Tech getting 800 yards or something. Congrats on finally moving the football!

Penn State-The Nittany Lions played very well against a decent-enough Wisconsin team. Anthony Morelli looked pretty solid, something that he hasn’t been over the course of his career. The team looked unflustered with all of this stuff surrounding them.

Virginia-The defensive performance for the Cavs was a delight to see. The offense didn’t do that great, but that was expected. Both teams played pretty well and both teams are “for real”. I really like Virginia though and they do have a chance to compete for the division crown. Although I like VT there, they have a shot.

Air Force-They didn’t look great, but they did look like the Fisher DeBerry teams of old. The Falcons ran the ball for 385 yards and they force Hanie to throw 4 picks.

UAB-The Blazers didn’t play very good defense, but they finally got a victory! How about that? UAB had a 19 point run that was unanswered before Tulane finally scored. However, a win is a win for Neil Callaway and he’ll take this 26-21 victory.

North Texas-Hey, UNT is off the schneid! Not bad. They forced Kinsmon Lancaster to misfire for two, that’s right, two, touchdowns. That’s probably the most stunning thing this season. Not Appy State, Stanford, or Kentucky/LSU, the fact that the Mean Green scored two defensive touchdowns in one game is amazing!

Auburn-Is there a better defense that has two losses out there? The Tigers are really impressive on this side of the ball. This defensive slugfest came down to a last-second FG for Wes Byrum. As a matter of fact, Auburn didn’t even need a touchdown to win this game, three FGs got it done.

B:

Navy-I won’t give the Midshipmen all of the credit in the world here considering they only beat a mediocre Pitt team, but they did have some guts for hitting the FG at the end to send it into overtime. This was a much-needed victory for the Middies.

Northwestern-The Wildcats were awful ever since opening up the game 7-0. Minnesota went on a 35-7 tear but Northwestern regained their composure and tied up the game into overtime. Again, C.J. Bacher was terrific. They held up on a failed two-point conversion and won, 49-48.

Georgia Tech-The Yellow Jackets really got Tashard Choice going as he cranked out 207 yards on 37 carries against a tough Miami defense. The score might not indicate it, but Georgia Tech played pretty well on Saturday. They out gained the Miami offense by 155 yards.

LSU-It’s not like they didn’t play very well, but the passing game was less-than-impressive. The rushing game was pretty solid and it’s not like the defense was that bad. They were outplayed and they played pretty well for themselves.

USC-The Trojans found the second coming of Reggie Bush in Joe McKnight. The kid’s a true freshman and he’s already looking like the kind of game-changer that Reggie Bush was. They looked shaky, again, against Arizona but they pulled out the victory by basically owning the last quarter.

Houston-The Cougars were on the ropes heading into the 4th quarter against Rice. Lucky enough for them, the offense exploded in this game and saved the day. Even though they turned the ball over FIVE times, Houston’s offense mustered 748 yards in a defensive shredding of the Rice Owls. Donnie Avery had 346 yards receiving!

Northern Illinois-This is one of the Huskies’ first good grades of the year. Even though they lost, again, they didn’t look awful. They almost caught a heartbroken Western Michigan team off-guard. It wasn’t quite good enough, but they didn’t play awful for the first time all year.

TCU-Offense? That word is unknown around Fort Worth, but they finally got a little taste of it against Stanford. Coming off of an upset against USC, the Cardinal got outscored down the stretch 14-3 before Andy Dalton ran out of the endzone at the end of the game. The defense wasn’t very good, but a win over a team on cloud nine after upsetting USC is a good win nonetheless.

Georgia-Any road win in the SEC is a good win and the Bulldogs got one against Vanderbilt. They did it on a last-second FG. It was good to see that Mark Richt is not okay with players celebrating at mid-field on the opposing team’s logo. I don’t think I would want to be one of those players during the next practice….

Missouri-The Tigers looked okay against OU and they did some things that they should be proud of. Oklahoma really is one of the better teams in the country and they held their own. The fumble return really put the game away, but Missouri is for real.

Louisiana Tech-Zac Champion was a huge difference-maker in his game against New Mexico State. He led the Bulldogs to two touchdowns in about the last six minutes of the football game to win it.

Southern Miss-The Golden Eagles played pretty well never really letting SMU get anything going as far as momentum is concerned. Damion Fletcher had a nice game and it looks like the Rice game is behind them.

ECU-I’m wondering where this offensive explosion has come from ECU. Rob Kass misfired three times, but he moved the ball and was efficient most of the time. The Pirates hung 507 yards on the UTEP defense in a nice road OT win. They scored 45-42.

B-:

Eastern Michigan-The first half of the game was an unimpressive one at that for Eastern Michigan, but they did storm back and that deserves some credit. The defense was awful but the offense came out of nowhere and produced.

Western Kentucky-The Hilltoppers were a little bit surprising with the way that they played Ball State. The Cardinals were supposed to blow these guys out of the water, but they have shown some promising qualities. They held the potent Ball State offense to 363 yards.

Arizona-The Wildcats weren’t that bad, but they didn’t look very good either. The only thing keeping them right in the thick of things in this football game was USC not playing very well. Willie Tuitama was accurate, but it didn’t result in very many yards.

UConn-They played well for the most part, but the Huskies sort of collapsed near the end of the game. They didn’t play well on defense to close out that drive where Virginia kicked the FG. Also, they were awful on that last drive self-destructing with a couple of botched snaps and a false start. That was awful.

Central Michigan-Are the Chippewas “back” under Butch Jones? Not really. He obviously has no idea how to coach defense. Any time Army gets 397 yards against you, there is work left to be done. They did force 7 turnovers though.

Fresno State-The Bulldogs still have a lot of stuff to fix before they return to the level that they were at only a few seasons ago, but at least Tim Brandstater isn’t losing games. Idaho moved the football though and the defense still has a way to go if they want to play in a bowl game.

Vanderbilt-They didn’t do that great on offense only mustering 310 yards. But you have to give them credit for fighting valiantly against Georgia. It was a pretty good effort even though they lost.

Cal-They had many opportunities to put Oregon State away but they failed. From what I saw, they didn’t give the game away, but there were some crucial moments that Cal didn’t capitalize on. The Oregon State goal line stand for example. They onside kick that was a bit questionable. The fact that they didn’t come up with a defensive stand on the 12-play, 55-yard drive that gave Oregon State the lead also hurts. And of course, Riley’s bonehead, freshman mistake on the last play.

Tulane-The Green Wave got Matt Forte rolling, but it wasn’t enough. They need to cut down on those penalties; they made 12 fouls for 89 yards. It looks, on paper anyway, that Tulane beat themselves.

Marshall-The Thundering Herd moved the ball offensively against Tulsa and they weren’t blown out. That alone is worth a B-.

Arkansas-The Auburn defense was great, but it’s beginning to look like Casey Dick is the real X-factor on this football team. If he stinks (which is usual), Arkansas isn’t going to do very well. Felix Jones and Darren McFadden won’t be able to win games by themselves in SEC play.

UTEP-The Miners pretty much played ECU to a draw. Trevor Vittatoe had a huge game passing with 409 yards against a decent ECU defense. They also got Marcus Thomas rolling, but it wasn’t quite enough as they settled for a FG first before surrendering a TD in OT.

C+:

San Jose State-Hawaii isn’t really the 16th best team in the nation. Plus, the Spartans got them on the road. But even with that said, they did play okay. They forced some turnovers from Brennan and the offense had some good moments.

Miami-Even with the way they played, they only lost by three points. They got totally outplayed, but they were with Georgia Tech every step of the way. I give Miami a C+ for hanging around while not playing all that well.

Rice-Rice’s defense is awful, so Houston gaining 700+ really isn’t that surprising. The fact that they even were in the football game is surprising. The offense seems like it’s beginning to get going again.

Western Michigan-Northern Illinois is a pretty bad team and they just let them hang around for the entire game. The final score was 17-13 and they proved yet again that they’re struggling defending the run. Justin Anderson was effective against the WMU front.

Stanford-Man, you can’t beat USC on the road and then lose to TCU at home. That’s a tough loss for Jim Harbaugh and crew. TCU hasn’t done anything offensively all year long before they locked horns with Stanford and that’s a rather dubious honor. Kimble ran pretty well against a good TCU front 6 though.

Cincinnati-The Bearcats suffered their first defeat of the year at the hands of Louisville. The worst thing about this loss was the turnover margin. That’s Cincinnati’s modus operandi, they win the turnover battle. This week against Louisville, they gave the Cards the ball four extra times. That’s what ultimately doomed them.

Colorado-Even though they lost pretty handily, I’m giving most of the credit to Kansas State. The only problem though is the fact that Cody Hawkins threw 3 picks which is his worst outing so far. The 3rd-down defense for KSU was fantastic and Colorado couldn’t do too much in this department.

BYU-Even though the Cougars won the game by 10, they did turn the ball over 4 times as they were really careless with it. This allowed UNLV to keep within striking distance for much of the game. But the defense was fantastic.

UNLV-The Rebels weren’t really that close, but the game was close (mainly due to BYU not putting them away). UNLV is improving, but they still need some work to do. They were outgained 441-217.

C:

FSU-The Seminoles were extremely disappointing one week after their solid win against NC State. Just when you thought they might be back to the Florida State of old, they lose to Wake Forest. They have some serious offensive issues because Antone Smith didn’t get going at all.

Kent State-They were supposed to get nailed against Ohio State, so that is no surprise. They didn’t show any flashes, pardon the pun, of doing anything better than they were expected to, so that’s why Kent State gets as C in a 48-3 loss.

Duke-Again, just like Kent State, they were merely average for themselves against VT and they didn’t show anything special. They couldn’t manage 200 yards of offense against VT’s awesome defense and they fell victim to “Beamer Ball”.

Syracuse-The Orange opened up the game 14-0 against Rutgers, but they got drilled a little bit afterwards. They moved the ball a little bit (for them) against Rutgers’ D. Syracuse was bad in this game, but they weren’t awful like they often look like.

Wyoming-It was a bit of a disappointing effort against New Mexico yesterday in the crazy weather. The Cowboy offense really stunk it up with 238 yards.

Notre Dame-They at least deserve an average C for their game against Boston College yesterday. It’s not like they were as awful as they were against Michigan, Georgia Tech, and

Idaho-They lost by 13, but they were sort of competitive. They didn’t look terrible like Idahos of year’s past. They have a special back in Deonte Jackson.

Colorado State-Are the Rams the best winless team in the nation? Yeah, but that doesn’t equate to a victory against a good Air Force team. The Falcons forced Caleb Hanie to toss 4 picks in the loss. The defense didn’t do a good job of standing up to Air Force’s offense.

Tulsa-The Golden Hurricane put on an offensive clinic and even though they won, they couldn’t put awful Marshall away at Skelly Stadium. That part was a bit disappointing and they let Marshall’s offense do all kinds of things.

Washington-I’m not really sure what to make of Washington’s performance. They looked solid in the first half, but they got lit up in the second. So, I’ll give them a C for the heck of it.

C-:

Minnesota-The Golden Gophers deserve some credit for opening up the ball game 35-14, but the collapse was Ron Mason-esque. It was a shame that Brewster decided to go for it to win the game. Stupid. Dumb. You’re not Boise State, kick the extra point.

Ohio-Guys, come on, it’s Eastern Michigan! Ohio rocked on offense but they let the Eagles do way too much offensively. They jumped out to a 28-0 lead and almost lost the game. They also turned the ball over four times.

Alabama-Could the Crimson Tide defend the forward pass at all in this game? I only saw a little bit of the game, but it seemed like Ole Miss at times just completed 20+ yards passes at will. It wasn’t a very good game defensively; they were out gained by Ole Miss.

Toledo-The Rockets wound up losing to Buffalo of all football teams, but they did move the ball very, very well. Toledo 518 yards of offense, but that’s saying something when you don’t win the game with that. It seemed like it was a matter of execution.

Tennessee-The Volunteers moved the ball pretty much at will nearing the end of the game finishing with 470 yards, but the defensive performance was a little…….well, bad. Mississippi State’s offense is very poor but they did some things that Fulmer probably isn’t too proud of. They could never really put the Bulldogs away until the end of the game.

San Diego State-They certainly didn’t play that great, but they did get smoked on the stat sheet. I guess you have to give them some credit for hanging around, but it really wasn’t that close.

Army-The Black Knights did okay for themselves on the road against Central Michigan, but come on, they turned the ball over 7 times. That’s not going to get Stan Brock any victories soon. The defense got carved up against Dan LeFevour, but they weren’t terrible.

New Mexico State-They pretty much lost because of Chase Holbrook’s sore ribs, but McDermott was decent enough. Louisiana Tech just made the plays when they were needed and the Aggies didn’t really accomplish that unfortunately.

SMU-Man, am I the only one who feels for Justin Willis? This guy is surrounded by nothing and his job is to make SMU competitive by himself. Southern Miss finally has looked like it’s back on track, but the Mustangs looked really bad in this game.

D+:

Pitt-The Panthers really didn’t play all that well against Navy considering all of the raw talent stockpiled in Pittsburgh. Dave Wannstedt’s awful coaching decision to go for the win really backfired. His job is in severe jeopardy and it’s insane because you have Cincinnati and USF being the ones that took advantage of the new Big East’s situation in 2005 while Syracuse and Pitt are the ones who aren’t exactly doing so hot. They almost gave up 500 yards to Navy.

UCF-They were at least supposed to give USF a game, weren’t they? One week after a closer-than-it-should-have-been effort against Florida Atlantic, a much better UCF team didn’t even compete. The defensive output was disappointing.

Baylor-Are the Bears seriously this terrible? They looked like it against Kansas. They turned the ball over five times without even making Kansas sweat. I thought Baylor could win a game or two in Big 12 play, apparently not.

Ball State-This is starting to worry me. Considering the way that they played on defense against Central Michigan, they were out gained by Western Kentucky! They won the game 35-12, but it took them a while to really get going. Brady Hoke needs to get this thing turned around. Ball State should be better than this.

South Carolina-The Gamecocks got totally outplayed by North Carolina and they almost blew it at the end. Steve Spurrier expressed his disgust at the offensive performance, and I can’t blame him.

Texas A&M-I’m confused as to how they got blown out so badly. They weren’t careless with the football and it’s not like they were stopped cold. They just couldn’t score against Tech’s defense. I’m very disappointed in Texas A&M’s performance.

Memphis-I’m giving the Tigers a D+ for the fact that it was pretty close, but you’re defense has to be pretty sad if it forces 4 turnovers and still loses by 14 points with a 242 yard differential. That’s not good.

D:

Hawaii-The Warriors once again let us down on the road. Colt Brennan, even though he threw for 545 yards, was inaccurate again tossing four picks! His Heisman chances are pretty much shot. There was a lull there where Hawaii allowed San Jose State to score 28 consecutive points. The one promising thing is that the defense is stepping up a little bit.

Bowling Green-What happened here? It’s not like Bowling Green is awful. This game was absolutely huge for their hopes of winning the MAC East and they blew it with an awful performance. They certainly did bring their D-game.

Wisconsin-The loss of Stocco hurts more than most people realize. Wisconsin has always had an underrated, efficient QB that moves the chains when they need to. Unfortunately, Tyler Donovan isn’t that QB. Also, the defense has some huge issues that it needs to fix. This team, outside of Michigan, is obviously the most overrated one this season.

Akron-The Zips didn’t play awfully, so I won’t give them a D-. But it’s Temple and giving up 21 points to close out the game is a no-no……come on………

UL Monroe-Losing to North Texas is much worse now than it was a few seasons ago. The Warhawk QB, Kinsmon Lancaster, tossed two picks that went the opposite way for a TD. Also, they didn’t do enough against North Texas’ D2-esque defense. Revell came in and played nicely, but it was a bad loss.

UL Lafayette-The Ragin’ Cajuns are one of the biggest disappointments in the nation. It might not have the same effect on the national scale, but this team was supposed to compete for the Sun Belt title. Now, they’re a doormat. Arkansas State had 681 yards of offense, most of that coming on the ground. I think this might be Ricky Bustle’s last season.

D-:

Purdue-Seriously guys, you’re better than that. I’m still trying to figure out why all of this offensive talent doesn’t do crap against defenses that are somewhat decent. Purdue’s defense still needs a lot of fixing; Tiller can’t be pleased. Painter wasn’t careful with the football at all and Michigan gained 458 yards of offense.

Iowa State-The Cyclones have some serious things that they need to work out. Coming into the game, I figured that Gene Chizik, considering he’s been around the Texas program, would have some answers for what they’re scheming to do. It turns out that I was dead wrong. It was a horribly played game.

Nebraska-The Cornhuskers have some big-time issues defensively. They can’t defend anybody at all which is really stunning. Callahan has some of these games where Nebraska just gets smoked and it really does have to stop.

Washington State-I’m aware that Oregon is really, really good, but isn’t Washington State a little bit better than that? They really looked awful and Bill Doba can’t be feeling too good about the situation that this football team is in. They gave up 551 yards of offense.

Indiana-Was there a more disappointing football team this week than Indiana? Maybe outside of Nebraska and Washington State, they were. Michigan State steamrolled them in a game that wasn’t close………ever. I saw the game on the Big 10 Network and it was just awful. This is what happens when a motivated team meets a team that isn’t.

Oklahoma State Puts Hurtin' On Huskers in Lincoln

Posted Oct 14th 2007 3:30PM by Jeff Adams
Filed under: Nebraska Football, Oklahoma State Football, Big 12
dantrell-savage.jpg
On the day in which Nebraska honored its 1997 National Championship team (sorry Michigan), the 2007 Husker team chalked up its own honor. This one was a little less positive, however, as Oklahoma State crushed NU 45-14 marking Nebraska's worst home loss in 49 years.

Like each team for the past five weeks, the Cowboys dominated the Huskers up front. Dantrell Savage (pictured at right) rushed for a career high 212 yards as OSU slashed Nebraska's woozy defense for 551 yards of total offense. The Cowboys 45 points also meant that the 2007 Huskers became the first Nebraska team in the program's 118-year history to surrender 40 points four times in the same season.
"Really, our coaches did such a good job this week preparing us for every situation we could be in," [OSU quarterback Zac] Robinson said. "They just told us it was not any different than practice. We went out and they did a good job of putting us in those situations."

"To see that many points, especially here and in this type of environment...," Robinson said. "We weren't really worried about what the score was, but it was definitely big to jump on them early."​
Nebraska has become the team you want to play when you need a chance to pad your offensive totals. The Huskers now find themselves on the other end of the kind of unmerciful poundings they handed out for the better part of two generations. Never was the irony of this fact more evident then when Robinson and Savage scorched Nebraska's defense on a slew of power option plays.

But Nebraska fans can rest easy knowing that their fearless leader Bill Callahan has his finger on the pulse of team's problems.
"I really thought coming into this contest we were going to play more competitively, but that wasn't he case," Callahan said.​
Okay, perhaps not.

BCS Standings: Week 1 Release

by awiggo Sun Oct 14, 2007 at 04:04:20 PM EDT

Fox will release the first BCS standings of the year during their NFL post-game show this afternoon.
The studio anchor has teased the rankings by saying that "we won't believe them." It's hard to say whether this is typical FOX sensationalism or if there are real surprises.
Ohio State and Boston College are one and two in both the USA Today and the Harris poll, but don't be surprised if South Florida is #2, behind Ohio State, in the BCS standings.
Texas is #18 in both polls used by the BCS and should fall in the 15-20 range of the first BCS standings.
Post your annoyance with the observations made by FOX NFL analysts or general observations of the standings here.
Update [2007-10-14 16:29:49 by awiggo]:
  1. Ohio State
  1. South Florida
  1. Boston College
  1. LSU
  1. OU
I hate FOX. That is exactly what was expected.
Update [2007-10-14 16:32:39 by awiggo]:

--Texas is #22 Official Standings

--The SEC is loved by the computers. LSU is the #2 ranked team followed by #3 South Carolina, and #4 Kentucky. Ohio State is acutally #5 (tied) with Arizona State according to the computers.
--OU is #5 in the standings but hated by the computers, only #11.
--No suprise here either: USC is #9 in both human polls but only #14 in the BCS because of their horrible computer rankings. The Trojans are #21 by the computers.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>BCS Breakdown ... Ohio State 1, USF 2 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
485373.jpg

Ohio State WR Brian Hartline
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 14, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The BCS rankings are out, and one thing was proven true ... the humans rule. The computers love South Florida number one by a large margin, but the people like Brian Hartline's Ohio State. Here's the breakdown and analysis of the initial BCS rankings and who won, and who lost.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

</B>BCS Rankings | Computer Rankings[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]It's all about the humans.

Remember, that while the computers have their say, they're only one-third of the entire equation. The wires and chips love South Florida and sort of like Ohio State, but the flesh and blood types love the Buckeyes and are lukewarm on the Bulls. Watch the Coaches and Harris polls (not the AP), because what they say, likely goes.

The big winner, overall, was LSU, only falling to fourth in the initial rankings to be in a perfect position to step in quickly to a top two spot if and when Ohio State, South Florida, and Boston College lose.

Also keep an eye on Hawaii at 18. All the Warriors need to do is finish in the top 12 to get an automatic berth, or finish in the top 16 and have a BCS conference champion finish lower.

Don’t forget that the BCS takes the entire season into account, so there will be wild changes from the computers as the year goes on, but once again, the two polls will be the biggest factors.

The Big Winners: South Florida (2nd), LSU (4th), South Carolina (6th), Arizona State (8th)
The Big Losers: California (12th), USC (14th), Kansas (13th)

1. Ohio State
Score: 0.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]9416[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
Some Buckeye fans are sure to be up in arms after assuming they'd be number one across the board, but remember, all that matters is being in the top two of the discussion, and number one is number one. The computers like South Florida, but the humans like Ohio State, and in the new world of the BCS, the living, breathing people are what matters most. It's all there for the taking for the Buckeyes, but there aren't any walks in the part the rest of the way. If they get into a second straight title game, they'll have earned it after a finishing kick with road games against Penn State and Michigan and home dates with Michigan State, Wisconsin and Illinois.
predicted wins: Michigan State, at Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, at Michigan
predicted losses: none
predicted record: 12-0
predicted bowl: BCS Championship
toughest test: at Michigan 2.
South Florida[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]Score: 0.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]9200[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]That's right. Welcome to your number one ranked South Florida Bulls .. at least according to the computers. In one of the greatest rags-to-riches stories in college football history, Jim Leavitt's program has shocked the world by earning a top two spot in the initial BCS Rankings thanks to a great win at Auburn and another against West Virginia. The computers loved them, with five of the six ranking them first, and the sixth putting them second behind Ohio State. Talk about your must-see TV, the world will be watching Thursday night when (it just seems weird) your number two ranked South Florida Bulls go to Rutgers.
predicted wins: at Connecticut, Cincinnati, at Syracuse, Louisville, at Pitt
predicted losses: at Rutgers (Oct. 18)
predicted record: 11-1
predicted bowl: Orange Bowl
toughest test: at Rutgers
[/SIZE]

Boston CollegeScore: 0.8906[SIZE=-1]The computers were definitely mixed on the Eagles, with only one ranking them third. For good and bad, the final five games are brutal, and while the schedule might be too much to overcome, the chances will be there to wedge a way into the top two with impressive wins at Virginia Tech and Clemson. The Computers will come around if BC keeps on winning, but a loss up tom might be needed, and the hearts and minds of the humans have to be won over if Ohio State and South Florida win out.
predicted wins: Florida State, at Maryland, at Clemson, Miami
predicted losses: at Virginia Tech
predicted bowl: Chick-fil-A Bowl
toughest test: [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]at Virginia Tech[/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]4. LSU Score: 0.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]8400[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]LSU couldn't ask for more of a break after a loss. In this improbable season, there are plenty of upsets still out there to be had. In a perfect position to keep on moving up, the humans are likely to make it happen for the Tigers if they end up winning out and winning the SEC title. However, the one down side is the schedule that looks good on paper, but might not be tougher than Boston College's. The computers like the big, impressive wins.
predicted wins: Auburn, at Alabama, Louisiana Tech, at Ole Miss, Arkansas, SEC Championship
predicted losses: None
predicted record: 12-1
predicted bowl: BCS Championship
toughest test: Auburn (if not the SEC Championship)

5. Oklahoma
Score: 0.7623
The Sooners are within range, but they need help and they can't slip the rest of the way. This top five ranking is all, all on the humans, as the computers have the Sooners ranked tenth or lower. The biggest problem is the Big 12; where are the big games to look impressive? Texas Tech? Texas A&M? It's going to take a lot of work to get into the top two.
predicted wins:
at Iowa State, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Big 12 Championship
predicted losses: at Texas Tech
predicted record: 11-2
predicted bowl: Fiesta Bowl
toughest test: at Texas Tech (or Big 12 Championship)

6[SIZE=-1]. South Carolina [/SIZE]Score: 0.7431[SIZE=-1]Steve Spurrier's club might have issues, and might hardly be complete, but it's playing well and finding ways to win. It might all come down to the showdown with Florida. If the Gamecocks pull off the home win, they'll be in line to win the East, and then have a serious shot at an at-large spot if they lose in the title game. At six, and with plenty of big games left, they'll have their chances to get into the top five in a big hurry.
predicted wins: Vanderbilt, at Arkansas, Florida, Clemson
predicted losses: at Tennessee, SEC Championship
predicted record: 10-3
predicted bowl: Capital One
toughest test: [/SIZE]
Florida (or SEC Championship)

7. Kentucky Score: 0.6832
When you beat the number one team in the country, you tend to get plenty of perks. The humans weren't big fans of the Cats quite yet, but five of the six computers had them in the top five. They're hanging on to the spot by a thread, with Arizona State close behind by the slimmest of margins. If they win against Florida, then things could quickly change and, because of the humans, this could be a top five team.
predicted wins:
Mississippi State, at Vanderbilt, Tennessee
predicted losses: Florida, at Georgia
predicted record: 9-3
predicted bowl: Cotton
toughest test: Florida

8. Arizona State
Score: 0.6831
You might as well consider the Sun Devils No. 7, as they're only a fraction of a percentage behind Kentucky. With a slew of big games the rest of the way, Dennis Erickson's club has plenty of chances to prove they belong in the discussion for the really, really big prize as long as it keeps winning. Until then, the computers, which are all over the place, with two ranking ASU second and to ranking it ninth, needing to start to agree. The humans aren't sold quite yet.
predicted wins:
California, at UCLA, USC, Arizona
predicted losses: at Oregon
predicted bowl: Rose Bowl
toughest test: at Oregon

West Virginia[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]Score: 0.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]6623[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
While realistically out of the national title picture at the moment, the Mountaineers can win out and still likely be in the hunt to with the Big East title outright. They'll need South Florida to lose twice, but the Bull schedule isn't exactly soft. On an island at nine, it's going to take some big losses to start moving back up, but assuming they can beat Mississippi State this week, being in the top seven next week is likely.
predicted wins: Mississippi State, at Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut, Pitt
predicted losses: at Cincinnati
predicted record: 10-2
predicted bowl: Sugar
toughest test: at Cincinnati
[/SIZE]

10. [SIZE=-1]Oregon [/SIZE]
Score: 0.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]6368[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]The computers aren't sold on the Ducks quite yet, but that could quickly change over the next few weeks. Apparently, the blowout win at Michigan doesn't carry much weight quite yet. Barely in the top ten ahead of Virginia Tech, there's no margin for error if they want to stay in the top ten.
predicted wins: at Washington, USC, Arizona State, at Arizona, Oregon State
predicted losses: at UCLA
predicted record: 10-2
predicted bowl: Fiesta
toughest test: USC

In Range
11. Virginia Tech [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
12. California[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
13. Kansas
14. USC
15. Florida
16. Missouri
17. Auburn
18. Hawaii
19. Virginia
20. Georgia
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Who's Hot & Who's Not - Oct. 13 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
485437.jpg

Georgia Tech RB Tashard Choice
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 14, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The hot and not aspects of the college football world this week.

[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE]Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6

Who’s Hot …
Northwestern QB C.J. BacherNorthwestern's defense has gone bye-bye over the last two weeks, but fortunately, the offense has picked up the slack thanks to junior QB C.J. Bacher. After throwing seven interceptions and no touchdowns in an ugly three-game losing streak, he's gone ballistic against Michigan State and Minnesota completing 79 of 106 passes (75%) for 990 yards and nine touchdowns with no interceptions, and he ran for a score against the Gophers.
MAC puntersTalk about the cradle of punters, the MAC is loaded with some of the top talents in the country. Ball State's Chris Miller is an All-America weapon, averaging 47.8 yards per kick, good for second in the nation, while Miami's Jacob Richardson is a shade behind, ranking fourth in America averaging 46.5 yards per kick. Toledo's Brett Kern is fifth in the nation (46.03), Western Michigan's Jim Laney is sixth (45.78), Northern Illinois' Andy Dittbenner is 14th (44.28), and Buffalo's Ben Woods is 29th (43.14).

Georgia Tech RB Tashard Choice
Choice has all but taken the Yellow Jackets on his back over the last three weeks. In the win over Clemson, he carried the ball 32 times for 145 yards and a touchdown. In the loss to Maryland, he caught 32 passes for 135 yards and a score. Last week, he rumbled all over Miami for 204 yards and a touchdown. Next up is Army.

The State of Kentucky vs. winning streaks
The Bluegrass State came up with a couple of big stops this weekend, as Kentucky's triple overtime thriller over LSU halted the nation's longest winning streak at 13. That means Cincinnati had the nation's best streak with nine straight games, but Brian Brohm and Louisville ended that with a 28-24 upset.

Buffalo RB James Starks
Break up the Bulls. Buffalo is a stunning 3-4, and on a two-game winning streak, beating Ohio and Toledo over the last two weeks thanks to sophomore James Starks. The former quarterback and running back has turned into a terror of a workhorse, carrying the ball 36 times for 183 yards and two touchdowns in the 31-10 win over the Bobcats, and 35 times for 244 yards and thre scores in the 43-33 win over the Rockets.
Who’s Not …[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif]
[/FONT]The Big TenOh sure, its big dog is number one in the BCS rankings, but outside of Ohio State, the next highest ranked Big Ten team is Michigan at 25th. In the top 25, the SEC has seven teams, the Big 12 has five, the ACC has three, the Big East three, and the Pac 10 has four.

Wisconsin takeaways
Last year, Wisconsin's fearsome defense forced 25 takeaways, and they almost always seemed to be a big deal. This year, the Badger D has only forced five, tying for the second fewest in the country. Only Marshall has fewer. The Badgers only got one fumble recovery in the loss to Penn State, and didn't force any turnovers against Illinois despite repeatedly tackling the ball.

Nebraska's defense
It's not exactly the Blackshirts hanging around Lincoln these days. Nebraska is dead last in the Big 12 in total defense, allowing 457 yards per game, and 106th in the nation in rush defense, allowing 209 yards per game. Over the last two games, the Huskers have been blasted by Missouri and Oklahoma State by a combined score of 86 to 20, giving up 606 yards to the Tigers and 551 to the Cowboys. Up next is Texas A&M.
Ole Miss vs. AlabamaThe Rebels lost at home to the Tide 27-24, but that's nothing new. They've lost 15 of their last 16 to Bama, but most painfully, they've lost by three points in each of the last three meetings.

Purdue before the fourth quarter
Everyone wanted to see what the Boilermakers were going to do once the meat of the schedule kicked in. Loses to Ohio State and Michigan have all but ended any Big Ten title hopes, with the biggest problem coming in slow starts. Against the Buckeyes, Purdue got its only touchdown with ten seconds to play. Against Michigan, they got a first quarter touchdown, and then decided to go home, as Michigan ran out to a 48-7 lead before Purdue scored two touchdowns in the final 47 seconds. Iowa is up next.

SUNDAY QUARTERBACK IS NOT GIVING UP
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Oct 14, 2007 at 05:47:53 PM EDT
</I>

There's no avoiding another good march in the great national parade of shock this season is throwing weekly now, but maybe we can agree that, as insurgents, Kentucky and Oregon State are not Syracuse and Stanford. We've known Kentucky is good, we've seen OSU pull off bigger shockers against starting quarterbacks. To be completely honest, the score that most shocked me Saturday was Penn State 38, Wisconsin 7. And I picked Penn State to win.
But I'm pretty certain when it comes down to it that South Florida's going to top my next BlogPoll ballot. So does this season make any sense? In its own way, maybe, but that way is not of the illuminated variety. The next week's going to be about assessing the landscape at midseason, and I'm a little afraid of what we might find under some of the more obscure rocks. Curious, for science, but still afraid.
Onwards...
SMQ WATCHED...
...with various degrees of vigilance... KENTUCKY 43 LSU 37
- - -
I thought Florida paid for bailing too quickly on a successful running game against LSU last week, when it abruptly stopped handing off to Kestahn Moore at precisely the point the Gators needed to begin pounding time off the clock with a two-score lead. I don't know if Kentucky took anything specifically from that game, but playing from behind, two scores down with a legitimate all-American to pass them back into it, the Wildcats stayed patient and ran their way back into the game on a 29-10 run fuelled by an anonymous true freshman who couldn't have walked on at LSU. Derrick Locke finished with 20 carries for 64 yards, all in the second half and overtime, but the numbers don't mean as much here as his ability to put the best defense in the country on its heels and keep the entire playbook open for the UK offense when the ferocious Tiger line would usually be teeing off in the pass rush. Before he entered the game for the first time, Kentucky was down 27-14 and had scored twice in seven possessions; after, UK scored on three straight possessions to get the game into overtime, then on three more to win. Locke didn't nearly account for all of that, but once he established his presence as a threat, everything else opened up. (There's also the matter of the key block on the winning third down pass in overtime - see right - on which Locke was crushed. But crushed for the team).
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/b5Tai1__3Ds width=285 height=220 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
Just because.
- - -
At the same time, I think CBS was wrong to give its "Player of the Game" to Locke. Not that the title means anything, but if ever it was obvious how much difference a bona fide quarterback can make on a team, it was Saturday with André Woodson. He made two crucial mistakes, throwing one pick in the second quarter that led to a short field LSU touchdown and another, terrible floater in the third that set up a field goal, and roared back from both of them with answering touchdowns. When the Tigers moved ahead 17-7 with two minutes to play in the half, Woodson took Kentucky 78 yards in five plays and ran it in himself to wrestle the momentum away going to the half. When LSU went ahead 27-14 off his second pick, he immediately took advantage of the suddenly potent ground game to hit passes of 18 and 14 yards and find his tight end for a short touchdown that cut the margin to six. It looked for all the world when he rocketed a 35-yard pass to Stevie Johnson in the fourth quarter that Kentucky would win it right there, possibly eschewin the tying field goal if possible, and he did win it in overtime, on a third down pump fake against an all-out blitz that lodged a helmet into his kidney.
LSU's quarterbacks, in the meantime, were only as reliable as their receivers' hands, which is to say, not very reliable. Matt Flynn was 17-35 with a bad interception from which he did not roar back - it came on just the second play of a would-be clock-killing drive midway through the fourth, setting up Kentucky's tying field goal - and Ryan Perrilloux went nowhere with UK effectively keying him as a runner. In that light, and the fact Kentucky didn't stop LSU from running straight ahead for any sustained period of time, it would be easy to criticize the amount of passing the Tigers continued to call after they went up two scores. From the point the offense got the ball back with a 27-21 advantage, though, the distribution on first down wasn't bad (8 runs, 6 passes, and only 2.5 per carry on the runs) and it's impossible to suggest LSU didn't try to win the game physically: in the third overtime, harkening back to the straight-ahead identity it established in a similar must-score situation last week, the Tigers sent their big backs plunging into the line on four straight plays. The first three went to tree stump Jacob Hester, the short-yardage hero of the triumph in Florida; the last carry was Charles Scott, who had averaged 15.5 yards on his first six carries and needed two more to extend the game. For the only time all afternoon, Kentucky just stopped him.

9ce1849d-4f92-44c5-b412-1f4d8703effd.jpg

Last week it was Les Miles' world. This week it's André Woodson's. Next week...?
- - -

• That last play - like any Texas Tech game, for the outrageous offensive line splits - is a great argument for the end zone camera angle, which clearly showed the developing hole, the missed assignments (hello, Herman Johnson, it benefits to touch someone when the team is running behind you with the game on the line) and Braxton Kelly stepping down to fill and make a strong tackle. The standard camera angle showed a big pile and a guy slamming into it with no rhyme or reason. There's no way to tell what's happening or supposed to be happening on the lines, where the play develops, from a sideline angle. Broadcasts would be infinitely more interesting if they put the cameras in a position to show what's actually going on. Well, maybe not inifinitely more, but more. Substantially more.

• Dumb situational penalties killed LSU, and I'm not being generic or cliché by describing them as dumb. Craig Steltz's drive-extending pass interference penalty prior to a Kentucky touchdown in the fourth quarter is forgivable/debatable, but I'm not sure Kentucky wins without the "illegal touching" call in the second overtime or Tyson Jackson's tomahawk chop to Woodson's head well after the throw in the third, and those are basic mental mistakes. On the former, the receiver (Terrance Tolliver) was ineligible because he was covered up by a split end - only the last man on the line of scrimmage is eligible for a pass, and Tolliver wasn't the last man. All he had to do was take one step back to establish himself off the line, and therefore eligible, which is his responsibility to recognize before the snap. That very avoidable flag cost the Tigers first-and-goal with a chance to win and forced them into a long field goal to tie instead. A few plays earlier, at the start of the first overtime, a false start had Kentucky in 1st-and-15 from its own 30, from whence Woodson proceeded to throw an incomplete pass with Tyson Jackson in his face, setting up a 2nd-and-long in sketchy field goal range. It wasn't Jackson's initial hand to the face that got the call, as it was part of the action of his rush, but the overhand chop he brought down on Woodson after that was almost comically illegal. First down, Kentucky, and touchdown five plays later.
IOWA 10 ILLINOIS 6
- - -
Maybe arch option hater Stampede Blue should have tuned into Iowa for a clinic in amateur option defense. The pros couldn't have done much better: where Wisconsin last week was lost, overpursuing, out of position, uncertain of responsibilities, Iowa handled the option like the familiar, decades-old concept it is. Put a guy in the quarterback's face - Illinois conceded this by refusing to block the playside end or employ a dive that might force him to step inside - and bring the corner hard to handle the pitch man. The Hawkeyes were in the right place every time, and only once - on a reverse to Arrelious Benn in the fourth quarter that picked up a first down - did they see anything from the action other than the standard down-the-line-pitch. Which gained nothing. Its bread and butter throughly kiboshed, Illinois was able to cobble together a little success between the tackles but virtually nothing in the passing game - there was the long touchdown that was called back and the late heave to Benn for 33 yards on the sideline, but no consistency of any kind. I'm not sure if Eddie McGee came into the game to give the Illini a better passing presence, but he doesn't seem to offer anything Juice Williams doesn't, down to the killer interception that ended the potential winning drive on Illinois' last possession. McGee seems like a taller version of Williams: good athlete, dangerous on the option, not much in the way of getting the ball downfield. The long, negated touchdown on McGee's first series seemed to be at least as much the result of Iowa not believing he would or could throw (he didn't in relief against Wisconsin), and the final interception was positively Williams-esque in its head-slapping futility. I'm not sure what Illinois gains from McGee, only that it isn't a passing game capable of picking up the slack when the option hits the skids. This is a bad precedent for the Illini moving into the second half of the season.
99c8656f-bf9a-447f-8dc1-77238d2496e6.jpg

Option football, Iowa style.
- - -

Glimpses
- - -
Missouri's offense is so similar to Florida's in the way it relies completely on its quarterback to be all things at all times, and I would have said before Saturday the Tigers could never win with Chase Daniel being held to -1 yard rushing. They came surprisingly close, though, mainly because even Oklahoma couldn't keep Mizzou from nickel-and-diming its way up and down the field - Daniel completed 37 of 47 for 361 and a touchdown and led the Tigers to 31 points without a viable running game to speak of; most of Missouri's rushing yards came on reverses to Jeremy Maclin (4 for 32, long of 14). It was turnovers that doomed the Tigers, not production: they fell on an interception that set up an easy field goal in the first half, a short fumble return for touchdown in the second and a quick icing drive following another interception.

Arkansas doesn't have much chance of winning, either, when Casey Dick is throwing more (26) than Darren McFadden and Felix Jones are running (23), even when the other team is missing field goals and fumbling away its longest drive of the night. Auburn's defense forced nine punts on Arkansas' first ten possessions, and thus moves into a tie with LSU and Alabama for the SEC West lead. Stick a fork in Arkansas' chances of appearing in January.
Upwards...
Box Scorin'
Making sense of what I didn't see.
- - -
Live by the turnover, die by the turnover. Cincinnati led the nation in turnover margin going into Saturday, and so of course proceeded to give the ball away four times while taking none from Louisville of all teams, which struck an ironic blow from the underdog role in a 28-24 road win that ruined the Bearcats' perfect season. What made it worse was not only the turnovers, but the points Cincy left on the board: the Bearcats fumbled after a 60-yard drive to open the game (UC outgained Louisville 204-75 in the first quarter but only led 14-7) and fumbled in the red zone to end a 59-yard drive in the third quarter. The Bearcats also turned the ball over on downs in UL territory in the fourth.
The Cardinals missed opportunities too, though, without turning it over: they punted twice in Cincinnati territory, missed a field goal in the second quarter and were stopped on 4th-and-1 from the Cincy one late in the game.
Remember: Louisville is 1-1 in the Big East and has its BCS fate in its own hands with Rutgers, West Virginia, UConn and South Florida to come. Three of those four teams also control their own destiny, but West Virginia and Cincinnati do not.
Massacre of the day. Javon Ringer averaged double digit yards per carry in each of Michigan State's back-to-back losses to Wisconsin and Northwestern, but only had 22 combined carries. MSU finally decided to ride him against Indiana Saturday, and Ringer responded with 209 yards on 29 carries and combined with Jehuu Caulcrick for five touchdowns in the Spartans' 52-27 win.
The score cannot convey how lopsided this game looks from the numbers: Indiana was 1-8 on third down, had nine first downs, held the ball for a little less than 19 minutes to MSU's 41 and was ultimately outgained by 365 yards, a margin almost three times what the Hoosiers produced their own selves (193). IU pulled out all the stops to only lose by twenty-five.
Ringer is averaging 7.1 per carry for the season and has gone over 140 yards in four straight games.
Speaking of Wisconsin... Whatever the circumstances, 438 yards and 38 points to Penn State is an embarrassment for a team that still considered itself a darkhorse mythical championship contender as late as two weeks ago. The Badgers' run defense over the last three weeks:
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d76666"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Carries</TD><TD align=middle>Yards</TD><TD align=middle>Yds./Carry</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Michigan State</TD><TD align=middle>32</TD><TD align=middle>281</TD><TD align=middle>8.8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Javon Ringer</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>140</TD><TD align=middle>14.0</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>39</TD><TD align=middle>310</TD><TD align=middle>8.0</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Rashard Mendenhall</TD><TD align=middle>19</TD><TD align=middle>160</TD><TD align=middle>8.4</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Penn State</TD><TD align=middle>44</TD><TD align=middle>230</TD><TD align=middle>5.2</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Rodney Kinlaw</TD><TD align=middle>23</TD><TD align=middle>115</TD><TD align=middle>5.0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So the performance against Penn State was actually something of an improvement. On the other end... I'm not sure if Texas rolling up Iowa State is the result of Texas getting its act together or Iowa State being Iowa State, but Michigan's unmitigated shellacking of Purdue is another sign of the Wolverines looking like we expected them to look back in September. Michigan lost to Appalachian State and is on track to contend for the Big Ten right through the finale with Ohio State. For now.

da1fd936-370f-4e93-bcfa-550fe3946c37.jpg

How crazy is this season? Michigan is good again.
- - -

The Crunch
Interesting/Not Necessarily Relevant Stats
- - -
Ohio State gained more on one interception return (70 yards) than Kent State gained in six completions to its own receivers (62). For OSU, Todd Boeckman completed 13 of 16 ... South Florida had ten plays of 20 yards or longer against UCF ... Adam Weber and C.J. Bacher combined to throw for 756 yards and seven touchdowns in regulation of Northwestern's double overtime win over Minnesota. This game belongs on Mid-Major Monday ... In between opening and closing punts at Purdue, Michigan scored on eight of twelve possessions and never went three-and-out ... Rutgers was two yards from doubling up Syracuse in total offense (538-270) ... Ohio U. of Ohio finished minus-four in turnover margin against Eastern Michigan and won ... James Starks became the first Buffalo back to rush for 200 yards in eleven years with 231 and three touchdowns in the Bulls' shootout win over Toledo ... Mississippi State punted just once in the second half but turned the ball over on downs on three of five possessions ... Bowling Green was held to almost half its season average in total offense against Miami, Ohio ... Utah outgained San Diego State by 303 yards ... Boston College held the ball for 18 minutes more than Notre Dame ... North Carolina outgained South Carolina by 116 yards, and lost ... Oregon scored on seven of its first nine possessions and led Washington State 40-0 at the half ... Houston racked up 748 yards total offense in a wild comeback win over Rice. The Owls have entered two straight fourth quarters with multi-touchdown leads and been outscored in those final quarters 43-0 ... UConn had three scoring drives of 26, 9 and 6 yards, and lost ... Dan LeFevour accounted for three touchdowns in one quarter for the second straight week ... Michael Crabtree caught 8 passes for 170 yards and slightly lowered his season averages in both categories. He failed to catch a touchdown after grabbing at least two in each of the first six games ... Northern Illinois was 1-13 on third down conversions and combined with Western Michigan for 13 straight scoreless possessions to end a 17-13 WMU win ... East Carolina and UTEP lit it up in a single OT game: 87 points, 55 first downs, 1,096 yards total offense and seven turnovers in a 45-42 ECU win ... Air Force's Chad Hall, officially listed as a wide receiver, ran for 256 yards and four touchdowns in the Falcons' 45-21 win over Colorado State ... Temple outscored Akron 21-0 in the fourth quarter and won on a touchdown pass with 27 seconds to play ... LaVelle Hawkins caught nine passes for 192 yards and two touchdowns, including a 64-yarder with less than minutes to play, in Cal's loss to Oregon State. DeSean Jackson caught four for five yards ... Matt Forte ran for 209 and Tulane outgained UAB by 132 yards and nine first downs in a 26-20 loss ... Good old Tulsa: the Hurricane combined with 0-6 Marshall for 69 points, 51 first downs and 1,112 total yards in a 38-31 win.

How Bad Are Things in Nebraska?

Posted Oct 14th 2007 4:50PM by Jeff Adams
Filed under: Nebraska Football, Big 12
sam-keller-bill-callahan-usc-game.jpg
In a word – awful.

Not because the Huskers are losing and not because they don't look the slightest bit competitive. Things are stinkin' in Lincoln because no one has answers.

Not the fans who sarcastically cheered and released celebratory balloons late in the opening quarter on Saturday when the team finally produced a first down. Not the media who've commenced with the official Bill Callahan "Death Watch". Not the players who keep saying it's just a matter of execution. And unfortunately, not even Nebraska's coaching staff has a good feel for the breadth of problems plaguing the Huskers.

But someone knows what's really going on, unfortunately nobody is stepping up to place blame in the appropriate place or to take accountability for being a part of the problem.

After the game Callahan spoke about the players stating:
"I'm just coaching for these kids, and that's why I got into this. I just feel terrible for these players. It just hurts to watch these kids hurt."​
Do we take these statements at face value or are they merely hollow attempts at reaching out to and perhaps even influencing another team that has turned on him?

Sam Keller who's trying to make the most of his one year in Lincoln says the team believes in the system:
"We have faith in the coaches and the coaches have faith in us," Keller said. "We just have to execute it better.

"It's not our job to question them it's not our job at all so that doesn't even really creep into my mind that we're doing something that we shouldn't be doing or anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, when Callahan tells me the play, that play's golden."​
But what else can Keller say? He's been through the fractured team fiasco once before and would likely say anything to avoid the career-damaging stigma of being labeled a "coach-killer".

Defensively the team can't play any worse, leaving many to wonder if they've stopped believing in defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove. In front of the media, the players deny this is the case.
"We're behind our coaches," Ruud said. "I'm behind Coach Cos all the way, I really am."​
So should fans buy into this lip-service or do the players' actions – like pulling up and watching long touchdowns by Oklahoma State and Missouri – speak louder than words?

I have my opinions, but once again no answers. Those have to come from within. From within the team itself and from within the hearts and minds of all those involved. They have to be ready to change and they have to be willing to change. If not, resounding changes could put the whole program asunder.

Bill Callahan has been adamant each week that team just needs to back to the practice field. Former NFL coach Chuck Knox once said something interesting about such an approach:
"Practice without improvement is meaningless."​
Meaningless and extremely difficult to watch. It's hard to imagine that this team has actually won four games this season. Unfortunately, it's even harder to envision them winning number five.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - Tweaking the BCS </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
485526.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 14, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

What changes should be made right now to the BCS? The little mistakes that added up to big problems, the importance of simply winning, the busting of the top ten, and dangerous Oregon team that could be the class of the Pac 10, in this week's 5 Thoughts.

Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6

If it's mid-October, the whine must be ready
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. I've just declared myself the czar, or tsar, if you prefer, of college football. While I'm the ruler of all I survey, I can't control the college presidents or any of the other big-wigs from getting you a full-blown playoff system that almost no one would be able to agree on. I stuck in the working confines of the BCS, and I realize it's not going away. It's an imperfect way to crown a champion, and some would say it's criminally silly, but in lieu of an actual playoff, it's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. However, it's flawed, and it needs a quick change right now. We're only one week in. Most won't notice the changes, and I defy anyone out there, even the BCS head honchos I can't control, to argue that any one of these changes wouldn't make the system better and more fair in this craziest of seasons.

1. Plus one. There's no need for a full-blown playoff with a ton of teams. That's what the regular season is for. But if you took the top four conference champions according to the BCS rankings (if you can't win your conference, you don't deserve to play for the national title) and played 1 vs. 4 in the Rose, 2 vs. 3 in the Sugar, and took the two winners and played them in the BCS Championship game, there wouldn't be one reasonable argument against it.

You're the fifth team in the hunt? Too bad; you did something to get there. Play a better schedule next time, get in a better conference, or be more impressive. You're still in a BCS game, but you're not in the big show. Last year, Ohio State would've played Louisville and Florida would've played USC. LSU would've been out, but it had no beef; it couldn't win its own division. Michigan had its shot in Columbus and lost.

2. Blow up the automatic bids. If you're in the top ten according to the rankings, you're in the big money game no matter what. There's no need to pander to the little guy, and no need to make excuses for the power leagues that might dominate in a given season. Sure, you can win your conference title. Bully for you. But if you're not among the top ten teams in America, we probably don't care if you're not in the spotlight for our entertainment.

3. DIminish the humans, boost up the computers. The overreaction after No. 1 USC didn't get into the title game in 2003 has stuck. The computers take into account the entire season, while the humans are knee-jerk reactionaries to last week's game. No one likes to admit it, but the six computer polls are far more fair than the flawed humans, who don't actually watch enough of the games to have a real opinion, The humans care about the highlights, while the computers care about what actually happened.

4. Strength of schedule, strength of schedule, strength of schedule. This should be the number one non-win/loss factor in the mix. It's a tough concept to grasp, but a two loss Florida team (currently with the third toughest schedule) might actually be more deserving of a top spot than an unbeaten Boston College (with the 51st toughest schedule) or Kansas (68th).

Now make it so.

Attack of the Quack
By Richard Cirminiello
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT]. Oregon is not losing another game this season. There, I said it. Will an 11-1 record will be good enough to win the Pac-10 and a round trip ticket to Pasadena? Since Cal won in Eugene two weeks ago, that’ll depend on whether or not the Bears lose a second game this year. Either way, the BCS better get Mike Bellotti’s office address because it’ll be sending him an invite, possibly to the Fiesta Bowl, early in December. Why so much Duck love all of a sudden? It’s rooted in Oregon’s performance on Saturday afternoon, a 53-7 rout of Washington State. Yeah, the Cougars are going nowhere fast, but that doesn’t matter. Saturday’s game was the crossroads variety for an Oregon team that had every reason to be sluggish after losing a gut-wrencher to Cal, and then having two long weeks to think about it. The Ducks chose the left lane of the freeway, zooming past Wazzu with a quick strike, balanced offense, and a Nick Reed-led defense that made a dozen stops for loss and created three turnovers. They won’t look back, putting pedal to metal until reaching Glendale, Ariz., or Pasadena with a little help from Cal’s second-half opponents. BCS or Bust ... Bust[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]

3. Before each season, we all speculate as to what team in the pre-season top ten will be a major bust. Our guess this year was Michigan and, well, we were half right. The right answer would’ve been the entire top ten. Here’s the pre-season AP Top 25: 1. USC 2. LSU 3. West Virginia 4. Texas 5. Michigan 6. Florida 7. Wisconsin 8. Oklahoma 9. Virginia Tech 10. Louisville. Every single one of those teams has a loss or three. Then, compare that top ten to the BCS standings that came out on Sunday. Of that top ten, only one team has improved its ranking in the BCS – Oklahoma is up to five from an initial spot at nine.

There are six teams in the BCS top ten that weren’t even ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the year – USF, BC, Arizona State, Kentucky, South Carolina and Oregon. What in the name of 85 schollys and parity is going on? I don’t know, can’t explain it but I look forward to every single weekend of college football more than I ever have. So, it’s time to play a new speculative game. When does #1 lose? I’ve two weeks in my pool – think that’s safe money? I do this year.
Just Win, Baby
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak
[/FONT]
4. Cry and whine all you want about the tough game your team just played, or a nasty conference schedule, or the upcoming road showdown that'll probably keep your team from the BCS. But at the same time, in this wackiest of wacky years, there's no more beefing about someone else's schedule.

Of course Kansas hasn't played a murderer's row of teams, with the toughest test coming against Kansas State. Hawaii's best win so far was against, well, UNLV?! Ohio State has hung its hat on wins over Washington and Purdue, which don't come remotely close to comparing to South Florida's wins over Auburn, at Auburn, and West Virginia. However, this year, wins are wins are wins are wins are wins.

When you have Appalachian State and Stanford on the tip of everyone's college football tongue, and when you have Kentucky and Colorado beating the biggest of the big boys, and when Syracuse can beat Louisville, and then look like it couldn't beat a JV high school team, and when Illinois can become a major player by beating Penn State and Wisconsin, and then lose to a bad Iowa team, and when South Florida, Boston College, and Kentucky are being talked about as national title contenders, when teams like Michigan, Texas and Notre Dame have been eliminated from the discussion long ago, and when week after week after week there's something new and something wacky we haven't seen before, all that matters is winning the game, surviving, and moving on.

The unbeatens will get their say. Boston College and Arizona State have all the conference big boys coming up, South Florida has to deal with Cincinnati, Louisville and Rutgers, and Ohio State has to go to Penn State and Michigan, and get past Illinois and Wisconsin at home. There are a million crazy things certain to happen over the next several weeks, but in this all-timer of years, one thing is for absolute certain. If you go unbeaten, no matter who you are, you'll have truly earned a bus ticket to New Orleans.

[/SIZE]Boys will be boys ... and they'll make mistakes
By Matthew Zemek

We all know that coaching is enormously significant in college football, but it bears repeating that when 20-year-old male members of the human species are involved, a coach--no matter how decorated or accomplished--lacks full control over Saturday outcomes. (Or Friday outcomes, or Thursday outcomes.)

This weekend in college football was noteworthy not because of the mistakes we saw across the country, but because those mistakes happened to carry unusual weight and importance.

On many occasions, a mistake costs a team a first down or a field goal or 20 yards of field position. This past weekend, mistakes cost teams games.

San Jose State kicked Hawaii's rear end, but one late fumble decided the issue in favor of the boys from the Island.

A brain cramp by a tight end--who lined up improperly--cost Illinois an 83-yard touchdown and a win against Iowa.

A fumble cost Vanderbilt a win over Georgia. Period.

A holding penalty cost Notre Dame a touchdown and a legitimate shot of making Boston College sweat in the final minutes.

And these are only the foremost examples of how one lapse, a three-second loss of focus, affected the other 59 minutes and 57 seconds of a football game.

This once again proves that while certain amounts of resources are needed to provide for a top-flight football program, the amount of money invested in college football (and other big-ticket college sports) is simply exorbitant. The coaches who make bank would be hard-pressed to disagree with that statement, especially the ones who get fired simply because one young man made one huge mistake at the worst possible time. Deep in their souls, college football coaches would probably trade some of their earnings for a substantially increased amount of job security. After this past weekend, you should know why.

And if you want to donate money? Well, there are water tanks, unpaved roads, and micro-loans that need attention in the Third World. All the money in the world can help those who are dying, but it won't prevent a 19-year-old from fumbling near the goal line in the final minute of a tied ballgame.

Three Questions

<SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/js/NewsworthyAudioC2L.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/newsworthy/statesman/sports/stories/longhorns/10/15/statesman_sports_stories_longhorns_10_15_1015threequestions.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>By Alan Trubow
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, October 15, 2007
What's with the Longhorns' running game?
Texas ran for 216 yards against Iowa State, but most of those came in the second half. You can't count on Colt McCoy rushing for 50 yards, and John Chiles is only going to carry the ball nine times for 54 yards if Texas is blowing somebody out. The Longhorns might focus on passing, but they still need to find a way to make teams respect the run.

Will Sergio Kindle start?
With linebacker Robert Killebrew finding multiple ways to receive personal foul penalties, the Longhorns inserted Sergio Kindle into the lineup. Kindle is bigger and more athletic than Killebrew and could take over the starting job. Kindle made four tackles Saturday against Iowa State and has been a beast on special teams.

Has Colt McCoy reverted to the freshman version of Colt McCoy?
After two solid performances, the answer is yes. Offensive coordinator Greg Davis simplified things for McCoy the past few weeks, giving him fewer options and forcing him to make decisions more quickly. It's working. McCoy is back to throwing darts, spreading the ball out and limiting mistakes. While other quarterbacks in the Big 12 have bigger numbers, McCoy has played as well as anybody during the past two weeks.

4-6 last week and got lucky on one IMO (BC -12), unlucky on another (South Car), and absolutely fucked on another (BYU getting jobbed by shady UNLV). In all honesty I should have finished 4-5 with BYU being a push and saving me another 6.6 units.

Moving on to this week, I am resizing back to 5 units a game. Unpredictable year. Likely dog winners get blown out by huge chalk and likely huge chalk winners can't deliver. Change your approach and get fucked another way. Some are having good years so far (Jump and CB for example), some are struggling in positive real estate (I'd place me here), others struggling in negative territory, and others getting killed.

Let's hope for a better Week 8. :cheers:

Nice win with that BC number. Numbers-wise, they completely dominated that game..the difference was a missed xp, missed fg and pick for 7. That was correctly capped side.

BYU finish was tough for you guys but the correct play going for 2 there.

Talk to you in a bit....

Thanks, Dmoney.

Weis may start Sharpley vs. Trojans

Posted: Monday October 15, 2007 12:20AM; Updated: Monday October 15, 2007 12:20AM

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame might use its third starting quarterback of the season when the Fighting Irish face No. 13 USC on Saturday.
Coach Charlie Weis said Sunday he had not decided whether to stay with freshman Jimmy Clausen, who has started the past five games, or switch to junior Evan Sharpley, who has rallied the Irish (1-6) in the second halves to pull Notre Dame close against Purdue and Boston College.
Weis will announce his decision Tuesday.

good luck this week sir, you will have ups and downs but I know you will end up on the plus side of things.

Nebraska fires AD Steve Pederson

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1192480904843&lmt=1192480904&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1192480904843&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fnebraska%2F007215.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=834816700.1182524384&ga_sid=1192480905&ga_hid=262586088&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
Nebraska AD Steve Pederson has been fired in the wake of the team's worst home loss in nearly a half-century.
Pederson, along with coach Bill Callahan, has been heavily criticized after a series of one-sided losses this season. The most recent was a 45-14 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday with former Cornhuskers coach Tom Osborne and his 1997 national title team in attendance.​

Matt Carufel Leaves Notre Dame

This is intriguing news. Matt Carufel was a highly recruited, 4-star, offensive lineman out of Cretin-Derham Hall. In 2006 he was the best player coming out of Minnesota and the 5th best OT accoring to Rivals.

I was actually at a USC/Notre Dame game in 2006 when Carufel was visiting. I noticed the CDH letterman's jacket on the sideline and then of course in the coming months he committed to the Irish over offers from Florida, Miami, Iowa and Minnesota.

As of last week he has decided to leave South Bend and is likely going to choose between Minnesota and Iowa to continue his football career. He won't be able to play a snap until 2009 so he won't be helping the gophers anytime soon but this has bigger implications than just PT at TCF Stadium.

Notre Dame has been sniping players from Cretin for years and finally having 1 kid who soured on the program there can only help (even just a little). For now the one kid that matters is WR Mike Floyd who is considering Notre Dame. Does this have any impact on his college decision? Hard to say. If he has any sort of relationship with Carufel I'm sure he'll get the 411 on why Matt was disenfranchised with the Irish. And I'm sure the CDH coaches will get a full debriefing. Could this be the year that MN lands the kid Notre Dame wants and we finally get our foot in the door at CDH? Since it is one of the top 2 or 3 programs in the state it would be nice to start keeping the best from St. Paul in state for 4 more years.

Texas unveils the Storm

Monday, October 15, 2007, 12:11 PM
That’s the name that Mack Brown gave to his all-freshman, second-team offense, which came in for the third series against Iowa State.
Brown said the coaches decided early in the week that the third series would be the time to debut the Storm, as long as the ball wasn’t inside either team’s 10 yard line.
“We staked ourselves out with that because we thought it would help morale at practice because we had not gotten them in the game as much as we wanted. We also felt like we had not finished the last two games in the fourth quarter like we wanted to and we thought that putting more players in the game earlier would help us with energy in the fourth quarter. Plus it would help us beat down the other team. We felt like that was true.
“It also gave us a chance to talk to the second team about, ‘You guys want to get in the game. When you get in, you need to score,’ because it was the only time we didn’t score at the first of the game.”

Back