Week 7 SEC Discussion

I think he might take a step down. He's a victim of his own (and Dak's) success. I think he's only got 2 years left on his contract, and he isn't going to be extended this year. Shit, they don't even have an AD right now. Their ceiling is 6-6 this year, and next year they will be worse with a tougher schedule. It will be interesting to see what vacancies are out there once the carousel gets cranked up. I don't know if they would take him, but I think Mullen would be a good fit at a place like Penn State. That's probably the best that he can hope for. I think he would go to Houston, and Sexton might be able to pull that off. I don't know where State would turn. Hudspeth used to be the favorite, but he's got NCAA baggage now, and his teams have sucked lately. If I'm State's new AD I'm hoping Norvell or McIntyre will answer the phone. It gets dicey after that. A program like State probably won't fare well in what should be an extremely competitive market this year.

Penn St is a good call. He is from New England so that makes sense. Ya Hudspeth is prob another guy that just missed a window. When they kept winning those really fun New Orleans bowls a few yeas back I felt like he was destined to be the next Miss St coach. Norvell is a another name I like. I believe if you are State or Vanderbilt you need to do something to differentiate your product. I think going with a triple option would be a great move - esp for a program like Vandy. norvell seems to be enough different offensively that he could have a Freeze like product.

According to my Miss St buddy, Mullen has recruited like he knows he won't be there for long. He thinks Mullen is gone after this season, and I tend to agree. The reason his name was always floating out there in coaching searches is because he put it out there. He's been trying to leave Starkville ever since Cam reneged on him. State's a tough job. You'll always be the 2nd Mississippi team, plus you're only 90 miles from Tuscaloosa. But I do think Mullen is a decent coach. He did have Miss St #1 in the country in November a couple of seasons ago.

According to my Miss St buddy, Mullen has recruited like he knows he won't be there for long. He thinks Mullen is gone after this season, and I tend to agree. The reason his name was always floating out there in coaching searches is because he put it out there. He's been trying to leave Starkville ever since Cam reneged on him. State's a tough job. You'll always be the 2nd Mississippi team, plus you're only 90 miles from Tuscaloosa. But I do think Mullen is a decent coach. He did have Miss St #1 in the country in November a couple of seasons ago.

Your buddy is right. I think Mullen is an above average offensive mind, but he can't recruit. Even if he wasn't a brash asshole, which he is, he doesn't have the appetite for it. That's why I think that he would do well at a program like Penn State, which recruits itself to some degree. Bill C's saying comes to mind: Tough jobs stay tough jobs. I think Mullen has finally come to that realization.

SEC smart. If your gonna lose a game, might as well have it scheduled early. That way in November you get that 'bye' week.

South Bama @ LSU
Tenny Chat @ Bama
ULL @ Jorja
Presbyterian @ Florida

What a terrific slate of games!

LSU, Alabama and UGA sacrificed a sure fire week 1 win, esp LSU, to play big OOC opponents. This is our reward. Plus it's the one Saturday in the fall where I can score points with the wife by offering to do something with her and the kids and say, you're more important than a football game. As far as she knows, we could be playing the Patriots that weekend

LSU, Alabama and UGA sacrificed a sure fire week 1 win, esp LSU, to play big OOC opponents. This is our reward. Plus it's the one Saturday in the fall where I can score points with the wife by offering to do something with her and the kids and say, you're more important than a football game. As far as she knows, we could be playing the Patriots that weekend
LOL, balance is everything.....

I think they say this, but how can he? Look what he is up against.......he got a 5 star w/baggage recently......Dak was just a miss by LSU really, too.

LOL well said......and in the old days, alot of teams got to sit on the couch while the SEC played a championship game that could gut you from the 'ship or bigger bowl

LOL well said......and in the old days, alot of teams got to sit on the couch while the SEC played a championship game that could gut you from the 'ship or bigger bowl

And I'll be honest. I'd rather play Rutgers than UT-C

Plays so far:

BYU -7
BYU/MSU OV 57.5
Duke/Ville OV 71.5
Memphis -11.5
Stanford +3
Arizona +8
Boise -31.5
MTSU -2.5
Iowa St +13.5
USF -19.5
UNC +8.5

you think Messy can score enough to get that over?

Yes, and I'll echo CK's thoughts that while they don't see this advantage often, Miss St has more athletes than BYU. I think BYU will win, and probably pretty comfortably, but I think Miss St gets in the 20's. I don't love having bets on both the side and total in a game, but I fell pretty good I won't lose both.

I found a prop that I think is worth a few bucks

A. Jennings UNDER 19 completions -120

Jennings is having a really bad season. He was actually benched last game after throwing his second INT of the game but unfortunately, his backup actually broke his ankle in OT of that game so Jennings will get the start tonight. I've been reading up on what Hudspeth has been saying and they are now saying all the right things, he expects him to come roaring back, they've got his back etc etc. In what I believe should be a low scoring game I think they are going to rely or at least test the run game and rely more on their defense against a sometimes offensively challenged App St team. I'm going to post a few quotes from a more uncut version of what Hudspeth had to say initially before offering his full support to Jennings:

Hudspeth benched graduate-transfer Jennings in favor of backup Jalen Nixon for UL’s final series in the first half, then stuck with Nixon until the senior injured an ankle in overtime of the Ragin’ Cajuns’ eventual 37-31 double-OT Sun Belt Conference loss to New Mexico State here.
“Wouldn’t have brought him (back at all) if Jalen hadn’t gotten injured,” Hudspeth said when asked if he debated whether or not to have Jennings open the second half.
“At that point, enough was enough in that game. Enough was enough. We’re playing too good just to do those things.”
Hudspeth’s frustration with Jennings’ turnover issues was obvious as he spoke just minutes after lost in overtime for a second straight Saturday.
One week earlier, the transfer from LSU – dealing then with protection issues – was picked twice and also lost a fumble when he was hit from behind in a 41-39 quadruple-overtime loss at Tulane.
This time, with multiple offensive linemen who were injured or out against Tulane providing him much more time at NMSU, Jennings’ second interception resulted in a pick-6 that put the Aggies up 21-10 late in the opening half.

he pass was forced over the middle, and that’s when Hudspeth – whose Cajuns got just six carries Saturday out of injured running back Elijah McGuire – pulled the plug.
“If we can’t learn to (not) turn the ball over we’re not going to be any better than we are right now,” he said of his 2-3 team, which is now idle until playing host to Appalachian State in an ESPN2-televised game on Oct. 12.
“We can’t ask any more of our defense. … You can’t ask any more of what they’re doing. And we can’t get 3 yards? We can’t convert a first down driving deep. Then we’re just throwing the ball; just poor decisions.
“The turnovers is just not acceptable,” Hudspeth said. “We’re playing too good in every other phase, and it’s disappointing.”
Jennings wasn’t picked in his first two games as a Cajun.
But he now has been intercepted six times in his last three games – twice in each game, two of them losses.
“Most of the time the team that turns the ball over less wins the game,” said Cajuns receiver Keenan Barnes, whose touchdown catch at NMSU gave him four TDs in five games.
“That probably was a factor (Saturday),” Barnes added with reference to the turnovers. “It just starts with us. We shot ourselves in the foot for the second week in a row.”

The Cajuns’ head coach could not agree more, even tough with a Simeon Thomas interception and a Trey Granier interception of Tyler Rogers the turnover battle actually came out even Saturday.
“Turnovers is the key,” Hudspeth said, “and until we figure that out we’re not gonna get any better.
“But we’re gonna figure it out, though. If it takes playing our fourth-team quarterback, we’re gonna take care of the ball. Because our defense is playing too good.”
UL actually did run its fourth-team QB, redshirt freshman Dion Ray, on one play Saturday.
He gained one yard.
Hudspeth said he attributed Jennings’ issues Saturday to “just poor decisions, and not understanding the consequences, and us doing a poor job in preparing him, obviously.
“So we’re gonna have to go back and evaluate what we’re doing offensively,” the Cajuns coach said, “because what we’re doing right now is stuck in the mud.”
Jennings finished 12-of-22 for 143 yards, one touchdown and the two picks. Sixty-three of those yards on a six-inch jet sweep flip pass to slot receiver Al Riles.
Nixon was 8-of-13 for 84 yards with no interceptions and no TDs.

The Carencro High product directed three scoring drives, two of which ended with field goals, and completed a two-point conversion pass to Jared Johnson before getting hurt.
After Nixon got hurt on an 11-yard run during UL’s first OT possession, Jennings entered and the Cajuns scored when running back Darius Hoggins recovered his own fumble in the end zone.
UL faced 1-and-10 from the NMSU 12 on its second overtime possession, and got to the 6, but couldn’t punch it in from there and had to settle for a Stevie Artigue field goal attempt that missed after hitting the left upright.
“We’ve got to be able to get these third down-and-shorts when we get the ball down right there when we have a chance to score,” Hudspeth said. “We’ve got to put the ball in the end zone right there if we want to win games.
“Counting on short field goals in overtime, especially when you’re on the 5-, 6-yard line? That’s not gonna win games for you.”
When he was asked what he plans to do at quarterback when Appalachian State visits, Hudspeth – whose club this week will be idle on a Saturday for the first time this season – did not have an answer right away.
Much might depend on Nixon’s status. It could end up being Jennings. UL’s No. 3 QB, Jordan Davis, couldn’t win the starting job coming out of spring practice and has yet to play this season. Ray, meanwhile, waits in the wings.
“Luckily,” Hudspeth said, “we’ve got a long week to evaluate everything, and to get some guys healthy.”

cont'd

If the Cajuns wind up in a field-position battle against the Mountaineers, Hudspeth would be just fine with that.
“Offenses are not going to score every drive every game,” he said.
“But if we can move the ball a little bit, and turn it over to (punter Steven) Coutts, he’s gonna pin them deep. Then play good defense, get it back, until you find some answers.”....

Jennings has gone 21/33, 15/21, 18/26, 19/38, 12/22 this season. The two most recent games were shootouts and I don't expect that to be the type of game this is.
App St has been tough to run on so I suppose it could lead to more passing but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Against App St QB's have gone 16/29, 17/36, 22/28, 31/43, and 19/44. I expect them to probably defense 30 passes at most and based upon what Jennings has shown thus far I don't think he goes 67% and completes 20/30. I am not even totally sure he will play the whole game. My concern is pace that ULL likes to play at and is the reason why I didn't bet the UNDER 52 when it opened. I don't expect either team to have lots of success but didn't feel total comfort with going under either.

[video=youtube;fiC9T-y7hLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiC9T-y7hLI[/video]

[video=youtube;fiC9T-y7hLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiC9T-y7hLI[/video]
That dude looks like a Pumpkin! Fn' Rammer Jammer. Lol
and for the record I liked Kifiin and didn't blame him for leaving for his "dream job"

Few notable injury updates:

- Florida QB Luke Del Rio to start against Mizzou
- Alabama MLB Reuben Foster back at practice after passing concussion protocol and should play in game
- Vandy RB Ralph Webb expected to play against UGA after suffering ankle sprain last week
- LSU RB Leo Fournete hasn't practiced for 3rd straight week with high ankle injury and is out for S Miss

Few notable injury updates:

- Florida QB Luke Del Rio to start against Mizzou
- Alabama MLB Reuben Foster back at practice after passing concussion protocol and should play in game
- Vandy RB Ralph Webb expected to play against UGA after suffering ankle sprain last week
- LSU RB Leo Fournete hasn't practiced for 3rd straight week with high ankle injury and is out for S Miss
:shake2:

ACC note:

-FSU's most experience CB, Nate Andrews, to have season ending pectoral surgery. Between him and Derwin James those are two tough losses in the first half the season. QB Deondre Francois hurt his shoulder and missed time against Miami but is expected to play this week against Wake

- Star Clemson WR Mike Williams probable with hamstring for game against NC State

- Duke RB and C are both probable against Louisville

- GT had 3 OL miss time against Pitt - both tackles and a guard. All 3 are questionable this game against Ga So

- Miami QB Brad Kaaya was checked for concussion against FSU and was ruled that he didn't suffer one and also hurt his shoulder. He has been practicing this week and should start against UNC. That being said, given UNC's vulnerabilities against the run, I would think Richt will elect to run it more. DT Willis will miss for Miami and star WR Stacy Coley tweaked his knee last game and is wearing an elastic brace. He is huge part of their offense. Starting RT Odogwu was lost for season last game.

- The UNC DL continues to be ravaged by injury. They had two DL leave last game and both are questionable in this game. RB Elijah Hood missed last game and is probable after going through concussion protocol

- Pitt continues to have injury bug problems. Starting corner Maddox is doubtful against UVA and will be replaced by a freshman. LB Caparra missed last agme and should miss again this week. CB the larger concern as Pitt wants to redshirt promising prospect Damar Hamlin

- Babers doesn't give much on injuries it seems but they continue to have a slew of OL beat up. They have 4 OL listed as ? on the injury report.

- VT lost star WR Ford for most of last game and Fuente said he could have returned with a sprained ankle if needed but the game was never in doubt and he was rested

- Wake freshman RB cade carney has struggled to get healthy but is important in a 1-2 punch for them in their run-first offense. He is probable against FSU

LSU SS Ricky Jefferson broke an ankle in practice yesterday and is believed to be done for the year. You can't even make this shit up at this point.

He was a little weak in pass coverage but was an experienced senior and was pretty good in run support. Orgeron should discuss it later today but my guess is John Battle now gets the start. He has been in the rotation, more athletic and probably better in coverage but less experienced and physical.

I would have to go back to see how the nickel and dime rotations have looked so far but it's possible this could also force another weaker, or inexperienced player on the field more often in those packages...which may be the bigger impact.

def gonna be Battle

ricky was playing better than I thought, but you hit it already on the difference

I added few more weather related plays. PNW looks to have some just brutal weather up there Saturday. The game in Corvallis is now 10 point lowers than open with the forecast remaining nasty - Winds at 40-60 MPH with gusts up to 80 MPH. Same storm hitting the FCS game as well and both teams ground heavy, Cal Poly a triple option team. Boise it doesn't look quite as bad but still steady rain and 10-20 MPH wind with gusts up to 40. Revolving door at QB for Col St and Boise likely to just want to get a lead and get out of the game with BYU coming to town next week in what could be the 1b most important game they play this season.

Colorado St/Boise UNDER 60
Utah/Oregon State UNDER 21.5 1H
Cal Poly/Portland State UNDER 67.5

Re: PNW Weather - UCLA/Wazzou doesn't look to be as impacted. However, really interesting if the rain and wind forecasted do indeed come in there to see who that effects worse. At face value, I think many would expect Wazzou but I'd say not so fast. 1) They can run it when they need to - they actually avg 5 ypc and have run for 228, 280 and 101 their last three. 2) Their DL is nasty nasty. They have a great Samoan pipeline there coached by one of the better all round assistants in CFB Joe Salave'a. UCLA has one of the worst run games in all of CFB, certainly in Power 5 confs. They rank 123rd in ypc at 2.7 and will either be playing with a very hurt QB or a backup QB in the rain in his first start. Wazzou holds opponents to 4 ypc - just held Stanford to 61 on 26 carries and Boise earlier in year to 121 on 26 carries. I missed the boat on Waazou -4 or better and I'm aggravated I wasn't fast enough because that would have been a sweet bet. No totals up on the game but given the uncertainty at QB, inability for UCLA to run, the fact that most LA kids have never seen rain other than acid rain, a green and poor play caller and the fact they have an elite defense I think they play this really close to the vest and just hope Wazzou makes mistakes - which Leach being an idiot is very likely at several points during game. This will probably be totaled somewhere between 55-59 depending on Rosen status and I think that is prob too many.

LSU AD is the biggest cunt of all time. Why the fuck are we playing on the road. LSU can fuck themselves for using the media the whole time instead bunch of corndog smelling twinkies.

cmon, fla fucked this up ten ways from sunday. fla gets the next two years vs lsu at home. what more could they want?

LSU AD is the biggest cunt of all time. Why the fuck are we playing on the road. LSU can fuck themselves for using the media the whole time instead bunch of corndog smelling twinkies.
Florida sat on their ass for three days last week and didn't bother putting together any contingencies. There was no dramatic shift in the hurricane track, they were not caught off guard. They caused this mess by either being stupid or dishonest.

With that being said, they couldn't run Joe Alleva out of Baton Rouge fast enough for my liking. He has handled this terribly on all fronts. This isn't a win for LSU because of how bad it screws next year's schedule. The guy is a clown.

Saban with some thoughts on pace in general as well as what will likely describe this game and next:

[FONT=&quot]TUSCALOOSA -- Saturday’s rivalry game between No. 1 Alabama and No. 9 Tennessee will air on CBS at 2:30 p.m. CT. This will be the fourth straight game on CBS for the Vols, with its most recent game lasting almost five hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tennessee-Texas A&M ended in double overtime with the Aggies claiming a 45-38 victory -- and ending the Vols’ string of comeback wins. But five hours for a football game is a little much, and Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban agrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I said this years ago: when you play pace of play like teams play now, since the 40-second shot clock and they let them go as fast as they want, it’s nothing to play 100 plays in a game,” Saban said Wednesday. “I think both of those teams had 100 plays in the game last week. Now, is that good for player safety? I don’t know, I’m not a doctor, I can’t tell you that. It seems to me like the more plays you play, the tireder you get, the more susceptible you might be to getting hurt. But I don’t know that for a fact.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Now there’s things we could do to probably shorten a game, whether you don’t stop the clock after first downs, whether you stand over the ball for just a second and not go warp speed where the other team can’t get lined up. I don’t know what the answer to that is. I don’t think it’s good that players play that many plays in a game.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A week ago, Tennessee and Texas A&M combined for 183 plays (UT 99, TAMU 84), and the Vols are nursing a bevy of injuries ahead of Saturday’s matchup against Alabama. On the other hand, the Crimson Tide defensive players are coming off a game in which they were on the field for 50-plus plays in the second half. That, however, is “two-fold,” Saban said, but the speed of the game takes a toll on players on defense while causing games to last much longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With both team’s employing faster-paced offenses, and the annual rivalry game airing on CBS this year, we could see the 2016 edition of the Third Saturday in October dragging into late Saturday evening or night this weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Offensive players who play that (fast-pace) philosophy say ‘The offensive players have to do it as well as the defensive players,’” Saban said. “That’s not really true. Defensive players have to run to the ball every play. The offensive lineman stand and watch the guy run with the ball. There’s a difference in that and there’s a difference in what the receiver does if he’s backside and you take a play off or whatever. You can’t really do that on defense. So I think there’s potential for a lot of plays to be in this game.”[/FONT]

Seen LSU schedule for 2017?! It was already difficult.....now it is the hardest in the country and history maybe.....JFC

My PRs for the week, just realized I didn't add them earlier. I've taken a few weeks off from my thread because I seem to be drifting farther off on many and don't really feel comfortable right now.

With this being my first go I'm wondering if my adjustments aren't enough based on what I'm seeing or reading, should they move 2, 3, 4, etc? Not sure. You'll see my Tennessee / Alabama number is way off. I've moved Tennessee down throughout the year and Alabama is my highest rated team, but this is still what I get. I usually make adjustments in a vacuum after watching or reviewing a game. Maybe I should then go back to look at the teams grouped near one another to see if it makes sense? I don't know, just spitballing, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Miss State +7.5
Tennessee +2
Florida -10.5
Arkansas +1
LSU -20
Georgia -16.5

We lost a home game because LSU refused to play this game anywhere but at LSU.

The game should have been moved to lsu last week. Theres really no justification for fla to not have done so and their unwillingness to do so should not cost lsu a true home game.

What alternative plans did Florida lay before Thursday of last week?

LSU is losing a home game because Florida couldn't watch the weather channel. Both are getting screwed.

Gator, you are insane.....FLA fucked this up from the jump...I understand not wanting to go to BR. BUT, the whole O-line was hurt and they absolutely knew the SEC win % rule....they saw an opportunity and tried it.

LSU offered BR and to fly in and out on Sat or Sunday.......dude

What alternative plans did Florida lay before Thursday of last week?

LSU is losing a home game because Florida couldn't watch the weather channel. Both are getting screwed.

How is LSU losing a home?
They get FLA instead of S Ala. I'm sure a bigger crowd

How is LSU losing a home?
They get FLA instead of S Ala. I'm sure a bigger crowd
They will only come out ahead due to concessions because the tickets have already been sold at the discounted South Alabama rate. And they're losing the home game next year.

Back