Week 7 SEC Discussion

Bama plays the 3 aspects of football....these numbers are amazing CK....can't wait for the trip to BR.....hopefully at night

Thanks, Tim. If you like Bama and feel priced out I would propose looking at a TT OVER bet on gameday. Let's figure it's totaled between 52-57 with a line of -12.5. Forecast would be for roughly a 33.5-21 game. Bama has gone over 33.5 in every game this season and last week could have gone for 60+ had they not fumbled twice going in to score. Defense or ST will on avg get you 7 so you need an offense to find 27 in a game in which Bama should lead significantly early and in which Tennessee has to start trying to throw it around like an Air Raid offense and Bama could create short fields. I tried to give Tenn the benefit of the doubt and call their secondary average but I'm starting to think the better descriptor is bad. The speed of the Bama WR is going to kill them and Hurts' mobility helps to nullify some of their DL strength. Also a fun trend, a Bama WR usually adds a few million to his pocketbook after getting the game against the Vols on tape:

Ridley 7 for 88
Cooper 9 for 224 2 TD
Norwood 6 for 112 1 TD
Cooper 7 for 162 2 TD
Maze 5 for 106
Jones 12 for 221
Jones 7 for 54
Jones 6 for 103
Hall 13 for 185 2 TD

Those are the leading Bama receiver numbers for each game of the win streak. For whatever reason it's just always a game where a WR plays really well and I think we could see a couple guys have monster games this year based on how I've seen the Vols regress in that dept each week.
Crimson thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. Pissed I didn't jump in, but I like your thoughts on alternatives.

Also, if anyone has some type of database where this is easy to pull up - has Alabama ever had a total in the 60's against a conference opponent? That's where this one opened - 60. I can't remember there ever being a total that high in the 12 years I've been a Bama fan. I should have bet it by my numbers but against Tennessee I have a strict policy to not bet anything that would keep me from fully rooting for a 70-0 Bama win and spoil my victory cigar.

There have been two since 2008:

Date[TABLE="class: dataTable no-footer"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="class: sorting_asc, colspan: 1"][/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Link[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Day[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Week[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Season[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Team[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Opp[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Site[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Q1[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Q2[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Q3[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Q4[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Final[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Line[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]Total[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]SUm[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]ATSm[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]OUm[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]DPS[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]DPA[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]SUr [/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]ATSr[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]OUr[/TH]
[TH="class: sorting, colspan: 1"]ot[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead> <tbody> [TR="class: odd, bgcolor: F2F2F2"]
[TD="class: sorting_1, bgcolor: f2f2f2"] Sep 14, 2013 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] box [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] Saturday [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 3 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 2013 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] ALA [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] TXAM [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] away [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 7-14 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 21-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 14-7 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 7-21 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 49-42 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] -8.0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 63.5 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 7 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] -1.0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 27.5 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 13.2 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 14.2 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] W [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] L [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] O [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: f2f2f2"] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="class: sorting_1, bgcolor: ffffff"] Oct 18, 2014 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] box [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] Saturday [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 8 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 2014 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] ALA [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] TXAM [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] home [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 10-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 35-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 7-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 7-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 59-0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] -13.0 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 62.5 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 59 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 46 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] -3.5 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 21.2 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] -24.8 [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] W [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] W [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] U [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: ffffff"] 0 [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[FONT=&amp]Derek Barnett outplays Myles Garrett[/FONT]
Myles Garrett may have been hampered by injury, but this battle between two of college football’s best edge rushers goes to the Tennessee defensive end Derek Barnett. Barnett had a sack, three hits, and three hurries on 33 pass rushes to earn his second-highest pass-rushing grade of the season. He also had a pass defensed when asked to split wide and defend a seam route run by A&M wide receiver Josh Reynolds — one of the most freakishly athletic plays you’ll see from a 265-pound man all season.
This was a freaking great athletic play but probably should have been called PI for face guarding.

Tuesday Vol injury update:

S Micah Abernathy didn’t start Saturday due to injury (Evan Berry took his place) after being seen last week in a walking boot, though S Emmanuel Moseley’s injury (shoulder) in the first quarter meant he did end up playing.
CB Cam Sutton (ankle, out for season)
LB Darrin Kirkland (ankle, indeterminate)
LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin (shoulder) was reported last week to be undergoing season-ending surgery, though yesterday Jones said “Jalen Reeves-Maybin is still looking at some different options for what avenues he wants to pursue. And he has all the time that he possibly needs to make that decision. I think he has earned that right."
RB Jalen Hurd (“lower extremity”/”multiple injuries”) was listed all last week as a game-time decision, though ultimately he didn’t travel with the team. Jones has said he expects him back next week.
C Dylan Wiesman left Saturday’s game after suffering what looked an awful lot like a concussion (Proviso: do not take medical advice from LINKS) and did not return.
G Jashon Robertson suffered an apparent ankle injury Saturday and did not return.
LB Cortez McDowell left the game and did not return.
DT Kendal Vickers left the game and did not return.
DT Danny O’Brien was stretched off the field and taken to the hospital in a genuinely scary moment Saturday; after a precautionary examination he was later released, and returned to Knoxville with the team. However: he was yesterday dismissed from the team for an undisclosed “violation of team rules,” and later posted this on Twitter:

Thoughts on Southern Miss/LSU:

LSU got an impromptu bye in Week 6 and I think that helps them here, particularly on offense where they have been beat up on the OL and they should also be getting LF back but I could certainly make a case to rest him here again and hope to get good mileage down the stretch in conference play. I am still buying the positive bump in Etling and the axing of Cam Cameron and I think you pretty much have to look at the majority of their games with a grain of salt. LSU put up 600+ yards offense in their last game and this actually seems like a decent spot to post a number like that again. Last week Southern Miss gave up 55 points and 548 yards offense to Texas San Antonio at an astounding 10.75 ypp! UTSA ran for 339 yards at 9.7 ypc and incredibly only ran 51 plays total. The USM defense has given up some points to every team with a pulse they have played - 35 to Kentucky, 37 to Troy, 28 to Rice, and 55 to UTSA. The good news for this bet, they are happy to contribute to the meal - scoring 44, 31, 34, 32 in those games. S Miss is very balanced offensive with a 50/50 run/pass split but I anticipate they will be trailing by several scores in this game, like last game, where they threw is 50 times and ran it 39. For the season the LSU offense moves very slow but we saw an uptick in that pace and production last game and I think we see more of the same considering one of the big reasons they are in the situation they are is because they wanted to move the offense out of the stone age. The LSU defense did shut down an offense that has some similarities to USM in Missouri but even there the Mizzou point output was deceptive in that they only scored 7 and should have been at least double that based on numbers and also on the bad open TD's that Lock missed early. I think the game should have enough tempo and we see some explosive plays - 41-20.

MOT said it GPS, for me.

Also, wtf is Sankey doing? Is he there to let these 2 schools go back and forth publicly and look awful to all of NCAAF?

SEC shoulda laid it out, but I agree with ALL mot said above.....so knowing all that, you see what I mean?

I think Sankey is probably most to blame. Slive wouldn't have let this happen. Sankey is basically being walked all over by two ADs. There is a solution. I have to think the SEC has enough cash in it's accounts to make it palatable to either or both schools for the inconvenience, whether it's lost revenue for a home game, buyouts for USA/Presbyterian, or having the schedule messed up. Total both job by Sankey for sure.

Also.....is Auburn going to make this a season? Look at the schedule.

I'm in a holding pattern on AU for right now. Most projections had them 6-6, 7-5 for the season and they are still on that track. Most thought they would be 3-3 after 6 games, and they've gone 4-2. Three of the wins are against awful teams, but they looked really good in those games. The other three, they looked pretty mediocre, even though they won one of them. I'd still have them finishing around 7-5, but 8-4 is certainly more realistic than 6-6 at this point. I don't think they are terribly deep at any position, so they'll need some good fortune on the injury front

Thoughts on Missouri/Florida:

Last year Florida beat Mizzou 21-3 in a game where Florida was -6.5 and the total 38.5. The fact that the total opened only 6 points higher than last season is enough of a reason to indicate that was a bad opening line considering the differences in teams year over year. Mizzou is one of the fastest moving teams in the country and Florida relatively slow but not snail's pace. I have some concerns about Mizzou's ability to move it on the better defenses they play at this point so it's somewhat risky to me although the line I bet was poor as indicated by it being bet up 3.5 points at the time of this post. As I just mentioned, the LSU offense put up 600+ against Mizzou, a really bad Georgia offense put up 400+ and EMU and WVU also eclipsed the 400 yard mark. While the UF run game has been wildly disappointing yet again, Mizzou has shown they will let you get well in that area and that was so apparent against the LSU OL which had struggled for much of the year but absolutely torched them last game. Del Rio should be coming back which helps especially given how Appleby appeared to regress from the 1H of the Vol game through the end of the Vandy game. The Mizzou defense is still adjusting to the new defensive alignment and the learning curve has been steep thus far. This isn't a super feel good bet because I think there is a fair bit of downside in that this has the potential to be another low scoring game. If it plays out more like a Gator game then it's dicey but if Mizzou gets them to play their game a bit and get a lot of snaps in then it should be in good shape. The UF pass defense is still really tough and the Mizzou pass offense is still growing. I think it plays out something like 30-20.

Thoughts on Miss St/BYU:

Another weird game for Miss St - a trip to Foxboro and now to Provo, weird... What can you say about the Miss St defense the past couple weeks, woof.. UMass scores 35 and Auburn responds with 38. I tried to watch the Umass/Miss St game on replay last week but had to quit in the 1Q because it was terrible to watch. What I did see last week was Auburn disguise a scout team MLB as a RB and pound it down Miss St's throat for 169 yards on 39 carries. Their ypc was just over 4 which is to be expected because if there was ever a LB, err RB, that was built for 4 ypc it's that fella. BYU should actually probably be the best offense that Miss St has faced this season and I don't think they are a great offense by any means. The started slow but have responded better as of late with 521, 586 and 398 yards in their last 3 games scoring 32, 55, 31. I think part of that is they changed some philosophically on offense and it took Hill some time to sort of re-invent himself. Both offenses have been more productive than their point totals indicate the problem has been finishing drives for both offense they are two of the worst statistically in that category - the good news is their defense are also two of the worst in that same area. Pace should be above average. I haven't heard anything on the Miss St QB situation but I really have to think Dam. Williams at least gets some looks as they have shown his ability to pass, especially when trailing, is sorely lacked as Fitzgerald continues to prove himself too inconsistent. Perhaps it's my SEC bias but i do think there will at least be some level of advantage for Miss St in their athleticism that BYU may not see week in and week out although them being independent now perhaps I'm incorrect. This game has a good dose of "gut" for me on thinking we just get some wild shootout similar to what we saw couple fridays ago in provo when Toledo visited. I think the numbers support the play either way but this is one of those games I've looked ahead to for couple weeks and felt like it had potential to just be really fun. 38-34

Thoughts on Vandy/UGA:

Last year UGA was -17.5 and won 31-17 in Nashville. Lambert and Ramsey had a very Jacob Eason/Kyle Shurmur like stat line for the dogs under center going 13/25 for 141. The Dawgs ran all over the Dores but those numbers were padded pretty good by a 68 yard Chubb TD and the Dawgs also returned a punt for a TD. I think Smart and Mason share one main thing in common this year - they both would love if every game were 17-10. It's in Mason's DNA to just play grind it out football and I think Smart just knows he has an OL that is improving, a stable of good backs and a defense that he can hide if they can bleed clock and dominate TOP. Last game UGA had guys open for multiple TD that were either real bad throws or mis-reads as Eason continues to only have one pitch - the two seam fastball. He has a cannon and will prob end up being really good but between his inexperience and the Dogs total inability to create separation with their pass catchers and way too frequent drops this team is just average at best. Sure, Vandy is bad, but no way I'm laying 2 TD with UGA against anyone. They are coming off the short week and the trip to Carolina where they won 28-14. While the way it got there was flukey, UGA onside return for TD, it was probably a fair result ATS, in my eyes. Vandy is coming off a 20-13 loss in which they were held to 247 yards by Kentucky. They scored on defense and had a chance to force OT late but were stopped on downs at the goal line. Webb got hurt last game and one of the country's most under rated players would be a huge loss to the Dores even with two capable backups that have gotten reps this season. Shurmur still hasn't proven he can do much better than 50% completion against SEC foes. Under prob a decent bet but I don't really want any of this one right now - 1H under could be a nice look too if totaled at 21.5 as this has all the makings for a sleepy start and 20-10 game.

Thoughts on Alabama/UT:

Last year Bama won 19-14 as 14.5 point favorites with a total of 48.5. The last time Tenn beat Bama Chamillionaire was 'Ridin Dirty', Miley Cyrus was 13, the first iPhone was 1 year from release, 300 was killing it in the box office, Obama was in his second year of his senate term, and Shakira's hips still weren't lyin'. It hasn't just been Bama squeaking by either - it's been a lot of maulings. This game has only been decided by less than 14 twice in the past 9 years. There is a particular affinity for Bama teams and fans for beating Tennessee and it has been increased exponentially after Tennessee playing such a large part in Bama being put on probation and sinking the program to tennessee-like levels. Sure, many will argue that Tennessee didn't have the talent to compete those years, they have recruited better, Jones has them coached up etc but I say that the talent level still isn't even close. Tennessee has one player that would start for Alabama, Barnett at DE and Kamara would be in the RB rotation. Now that I've got that off my chest, on to the actual game. There is really not much I want to say that hasn't already been said. Dobbs stinks, the UT OL will get destroyed and the Vol WR don't look to me to have much of a chance to create separation aside from busts or just using their size on jump balls. The Bama secondary should be ready to go after all of the coverage busts last week - I've never seen them have a game like they did under Saban and not follow up with a dynamite performance the following week. As GPS indicated last week the spot against Arky was one for the Bama offense where we have seen Bama teams with new QB in recent years turn a corner and we saw exactly that. Bama averaged 10 ypp and just did anything and everything they wanted to an overmatched defense. The only strength I see of this Vol team is their DL and I think with the versatility of the offense under Kiffin coupled with Hurts' mobility will help to negate that. I think Bama jumps up early and shows you can't turn it over against them and give up a big lead and get back in it. 48-17

essentially with the SEC scheduling.....it IS a big deal, no?

We need a twink dictionary/thesaurus app on this site. I never know what you're talking about, LOL.

But as far as being the 3rd Saturday in October, more often than not, it is on a different weekend. In fact, I'd guess it's only been the actual 3rd Saturday once or twice in the last 15 years

Thoughts on Alabama/UT:

Last year Bama won 19-14 as 14.5 point favorites with a total of 48.5. The last time Tenn beat Bama Chamillionaire was 'Ridin Dirty', Miley Cyrus was 13, the first iPhone was 1 year from release, 300 was killing it in the box office, Obama was in his second year of his senate term, and Shakira's hips still weren't lyin'. It hasn't just been Bama squeaking by either - it's been a lot of maulings. This game has only been decided by less than 14 twice in the past 9 years. There is a particular affinity for Bama teams and fans for beating Tennessee and it has been increased exponentially after Tennessee playing such a large part in Bama being put on probation and sinking the program to tennessee-like levels. Sure, many will argue that Tennessee didn't have the talent to compete those years, they have recruited better, Jones has them coached up etc but I say that the talent level still isn't even close. Tennessee has one player that would start for Alabama, Barnett at DE and Kamara would be in the RB rotation. Now that I've got that off my chest, on to the actual game. There is really not much I want to say that hasn't already been said. Dobbs stinks, the UT OL will get destroyed and the Vol WR don't look to me to have much of a chance to create separation aside from busts or just using their size on jump balls. The Bama secondary should be ready to go after all of the coverage busts last week - I've never seen them have a game like they did under Saban and not follow up with a dynamite performance the following week. As GPS indicated last week the spot against Arky was one for the Bama offense where we have seen Bama teams with new QB in recent years turn a corner and we saw exactly that. Bama averaged 10 ypp and just did anything and everything they wanted to an overmatched defense. The only strength I see of this Vol team is their DL and I think with the versatility of the offense under Kiffin coupled with Hurts' mobility will help to negate that. I think Bama jumps up early and shows you can't turn it over against them and give up a big lead and get back in it. 48-17

I hope you're right. I think it's disingenuous for the media to lump this game from last year as one of those games that Tennessee blew late in the game. Alabama didn't trail until 5 minutes left in the game, and then reclaimed the lead on their ensuing drive, so it wasn't a game that Tennessee in any way dominated. It was a sloppy game and pretty boring if I remember correctly. I had a newborn at the time, who actually turns 1 on Saturday. We've planned the party around the game, but my wife has been talking some nonsense about going to the pumpkin patch around 4 pm. I'm sure she'll see the error of her thinking. Anyway, like CK said, this is as talented a team as UT has had in recent years, but the gap is still considerable. I don't think UT thinks they can get in a shootout and win, so they may try to ugly the game up again. And situationally, this is the worst spot UT has been in against Alabama in a while. Last year, they were the last game of our 8 game stretch to start the season, and had a bye week the week before while Alabama played at aTm. This year, UT is coming off their own long stretch, also coming home after a trip to Kyle Field. Tennessee has played 3 straight emotionally and physically draining games in a row. It is certainly showing on the injury report. I think they will be able to get up for playing a big rival that they haven't beaten in a while that is also ranked #1, but I'm not sure how far that will take them before the reality of their situation sets in. If Alabama can avoid costly early turnovers, I think they can get a lead and then just throw body shot after body shot at them until they break. But if we turn it over, as we have been wont to do sometimes, Tenn can get the momentum (Gary Danielson be damned) and make this a 4th quarter game, where Tennessee is apparently able to conjure up some AU 2010/2013 magic spells. I'm not predicting a blowout, but I do think this is most likely a double digit win for Alabama.

To be honest, since history says we are likely to lose a game this season, I'd rather lose to Tennessee and beat aTm/LSU. Much easier to win the West that way and then take our chances against the East in Atlanta to make the playoff

Thoughts on Ole Miss/Arkansas:

Last season this was the game of the year. If you don't remember this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vefcy6LY take a look at that one. Bama fans will remember it forever because that play indirectly won Bama the nat'l title. This is prob the least comfortable bet I've made this year. This is another where if it goes wrong I'm pretty sure I know how and why it will. Ole Miss has shown they jump up early and things just get out of balance - that is exactly what bama did last week and it turned what looked like could be a lower scoring game on paper into an 80 point shootout. That could happen. Last year it 31-31 after 3Q and finished 53-52 in OT where Ole Miss was -7.5 and a total of 55. This has probably the two best passers in the conference squaring off. I do like the Ole Miss DL and just as I thought last week, the Arky OL is just not good and for the second time this season Austin Allen just got killed. I believe that Arkansas will try to do more of what they did against TCU and slow things down and work really hard to establish a ground game. They almost have to because it's highly unlikely they think they can play a shootout with Kelly and Co and win. I like that the Ole Miss offense has found balance and more comfortability in the run game and that could shorten the game some. This has one of the nation's fastest moving offenses versus slowest moving. I'm going to need some teams to settle for FG instead of TD and both defenses to get off the field on 3rd downs. One thing that was nuts about last week for Arky was how their avg 3rd down distance was over 9 yards and they still somehow managed an absurd 8-16 3rd down conversions. They weren't good on 1st or 2nd down but they came up with some great throws and Bama busted several times that helped that number. This is one of those games's that I trust my numbers and know that it's unlikely to be a fun game to watch with an under ticket. 34-30

I hope you're right. I think it's disingenuous for the media to lump this game from last year as one of those games that Tennessee blew late in the game. Alabama didn't trail until 5 minutes left in the game, and then reclaimed the lead on their ensuing drive, so it wasn't a game that Tennessee in any way dominated. It was a sloppy game and pretty boring if I remember correctly. I had a newborn at the time, who actually turns 1 on Saturday. We've planned the party around the game, but my wife has been talking some nonsense about going to the pumpkin patch around 4 pm. I'm sure she'll see the error of her thinking. Anyway, like CK said, this is as talented a team as UT has had in recent years, but the gap is still considerable. I don't think UT thinks they can get in a shootout and win, so they may try to ugly the game up again. And situationally, this is the worst spot UT has been in against Alabama in a while. Last year, they were the last game of our 8 game stretch to start the season, and had a bye week the week before while Alabama played at aTm. This year, UT is coming off their own long stretch, also coming home after a trip to Kyle Field. Tennessee has played 3 straight emotionally and physically draining games in a row. It is certainly showing on the injury report. I think they will be able to get up for playing a big rival that they haven't beaten in a while that is also ranked #1, but I'm not sure how far that will take them before the reality of their situation sets in. If Alabama can avoid costly early turnovers, I think they can get a lead and then just throw body shot after body shot at them until they break. But if we turn it over, as we have been wont to do sometimes, Tenn can get the momentum (Gary Danielson be damned) and make this a 4th quarter game, where Tennessee is apparently able to conjure up some AU 2010/2013 magic spells. I'm not predicting a blowout, but I do think this is most likely a double digit win for Alabama.

To be honest, since history says we are likely to lose a game this season, I'd rather lose to Tennessee and beat aTm/LSU. Much easier to win the West that way and then take our chances against the East in Atlanta to make the playoff

Good points about the situational aspects of the game being different. We had one year where like every team had a bye before us and that is brutal. I'm a lot more worried about aTm than I am this game. Stylistically UT doesn't present much problem, IMO, while the Ags have the type of offense that can give us problems and enough talent on the DL to cause some issues even if they can't tackle. They get the dreaded bye week and we play our third emotional game in a row, although I don't know how "up" the guys get for Arky it still a conf game on the road against Top 25.

Good points about the situational aspects of the game being different. We had one year where like every team had a bye before us and that is brutal. I'm a lot more worried about aTm than I am this game. Stylistically UT doesn't present much problem, IMO, while the Ags have the type of offense that can give us problems and enough talent on the DL to cause some issues even if they can't tackle. They get the dreaded bye week and we play our third emotional game in a row, although I don't know how "up" the guys get for Arky it still a conf game on the road against Top 25.

I believe it was 2010 where 7 of our 8 conference opponents had a bye the week before. Was 10 out of 12 total. They changed the rules after the season thankfully. As to your last point, I think that was the best thing about getting up early on Ark and then letting up. Saban didn't seem near as angry as usual about losing focus after getting a big lead, and maybe it's because he knows we need it more in the next 2 games than in the 2nd half of a game we had well in hand. I can't remember if it was Saban who said it, but someone said it is impossible for a team to give 100% effort and focus more than 3 or 4 times a season, so you want to make sure that you maximize those times.

when the split happened and every SEC team grabbed a dance partner......this game isn't why that happened?

almost as good as the B1G early:tiphat:

hey, this year you may get a big game bro:popcorn:

SEC smart. If your gonna lose a game, might as well have it scheduled early. That way in November you get that 'bye' week.

South Bama @ LSU
Tenny Chat @ Bama
ULL @ Jorja
Presbyterian @ Florida

What a terrific slate of games!

SEC smart. If your gonna lose a game, might as well have it scheduled early. That way in November you get that 'bye' week.

South Bama @ LSU
Tenny Chat @ Bama
ULL @ Jorja
Presbyterian @ Florida

What a terrific slate of games!

I am joking about LSU playing FLA that weekend just FYI

Florida is bitches btw about last week.

Anyhoo, great info in the thread as always guys:shake2:

Well, we demolished the SEC runner-up in a bowl game last year, so I hope so.

that's because they were soooooooooo down bro, you know that

also it had to be from our handicapped brethren from the EAST I imagine, yes?

Duke/Louisville OVER 69.5

There should be plenty of snaps in this game. Play time is over for Ville and we should get Lamar Jackson trying to score for four quarters now instead of just 2. Duke with deceptively low scoring in several games this season 369 yards-14 points, 396 yards-13 points, 430 yards-20 points and the hurricane game last week which keeps their numbers even lower as a whole. I expect Duke to get into the 20's here against a Ville defense that has given up some deceptive scoring but higher outputs with everyone but Charlotte getting into 20's. Ville off the bye on prime time, prob still angry, no chance Duke athletes go from a slogging cane game against option to being ready for what LJ is likely to unleash. 56-27

Memphis/Tulane UNDER 60

Tulane is typical option team, run heavy and slow moving. Memphis total contrast in styles as they go fast and like to throw it around. Tulane with two weeks to prepare for a Memphis offense that is stylistically very different than anyone thy've seen thus far. Tulane offense statistically one of worst in nation while defense has been above average. Memphis managed 34 last game on just 323 yards offense and have been another deceptively high scorer relative to actual output. I thought the offense should/would drop off and probably has but not as much as I expected. Defensively their opponent adjusted numbers on defense are really pretty good against run but it's the pass game they has caused them problems, no problemo against option team. Really bad opening line here and now it's a TD lower. 27-20

UConn/USF UNDER 56.5

Anytime I see a UConn game totaled in 50's you have my attention. Just a truly miserable offense and solid defense. What a beautiful under team. Another style contrast as USF likes to go faster. USF defense has faced some really tough offenses and gets a break the next two. As long as USF doesn't get much past 40, game should be in fine shape and got past some key numbers to boot. 34-10

VT/Syracuse OVER 63

If it's inside the Carrier Dome this is too low a total for pretty much any Syracuse game right now. Cuse goes warp speed and defense is a threat to surrender points each possession against high caliber offenses. VT on paper a solid under team as defense is outstanding and offense has had some quirky outputs but they struggled with the ECU offense which will present similar challenge - only gave up 17 points on 443 yards offense which is the ECU staple. Cuse hasn't been able to stop Jackson, Flowers, Kizer and they get another really good QB here in Evans. They gave up 62, 45 and 50 in those games. Not good spot for VT with Miami on deck next Thursday. Hope they struggle a bit here and Miami rolls as I'll look to back VT again in that spot. 45-28

Iowa St +14.5 -120

Back to the well on Iowa State. Silly this line is same as it was in Stillwater last week when two things were clear - Pokes better than UT and Pokes were not 3 scores better than ISU. Offense still rolling for ISU and another back breaking loss. Clones sure looked awful first couple games but a few plays go the other way and this team could be 4-2 instead of 1-5. Fact is, they aren't and so they catch two TD here. I don't like that it's third emotional game in a row, however, that is negated some with UT playing it's third in a row and coming off of the RRS game where they were really fortunate they didn't get boat raced. Game not near as competitive as final scoreline indicates. Buchele regressing big time, Horns with 33 missed tackles the past two weeks, internal and external dissension and Horns run game has taken a hit and likely won't be able to expose the Iowa St rush defense like Baylor did. Iowa St knows they can play with these guys - they won 24-0 last year and lost by 3 and 1 the two years prior. 38-35 Clones!

Kansas St/Oklahoma UNDER 65.5

Kansas State is prob about the only Big 12 team I like to bet an under on. It's another nice spot here as they come off a super inflated scoring output against Texas Tech in which they had 335 yards offense but 44 points! Oklahoma with a much better defensive effort against the Horns than the scoreline indicates. I feel for Okie in some respects - similar to FSU they have just faced a gauntlet of nasty offenses - Houston, Ohio St, TCU, Texas - that's brutal. Here they get the ole one eyed pack mule of the conference that they shutout last year 55-0. SHouldn't be a super fast paced game and K St surely would like to shorten it given their offensive limitations - they had 110 yards in this game last year, total.. Few scenarios converging here ad sets up really, really nicely for an under. 30-17

UVA +3

Pitt secondary is really bad and UVA solid passing team. Benkert is quietly having a nice first year under center but prob needs to value the ball more. Side note - the ACC has some really fantastic QB's. Pitt not a huge threat passing and UVA solid against run. UVA hasnt allowed a 200 yard performance yet on the ground except Oregon and opponents averaging just 4.24 ypc and they've only allowed 8 rushing TD. Pitt has def faced some good passing attacks so far but their numbers have been awful - Penn St, Ok St and UNC QB went for a combined 85/127 for 1,325 8 TD/1 INT. Pitt has literally played an emotionally draining game for the past 5 weeks and UVA off a bye which at this point in the season is significant to me especially given Pitt's roller coaster season. UVA a nasty dog, 17-3 ATS last 20. 30-27 Hoos

UNC/Miami OVER 58

Looks like my bet will stand they just put it up briefly took it down and now it's back up at 64.5. FWIW, I would pass at that number. UNC shouldn't be totaled in the 50's against a competent offense right now, IMO. Kaaya dinged up and that's the reason it has been on and off the board. Trubisky's unreal statistical season took a nosedive last week in the hurricane game - I actually watched the whole game and there is nothing that can be learned from it other than if VT were a horse they would be a mudder, UNC would not. Like Richt to be able to exploit Chiz defense and the Miami defense will face the most challenging offense they've seen thus far in a season full of cupcakes - FSU notwithstanding. 34-31

Northern Illinois +3

Northern Illinois have looked more like the team many expected them to be the past two weeks. Offense looks improved with Maddie at the helm and the CMU team in general has to be described as disappointing thus far. The crazy win over Ok State and then really some poor performances the past couple weeks against rival WMU and Ball State. Two teams trending in opposite directions I'll take the proud home dog that MUST win to go bowling to win outright 34-30.

Kansas/Baylor OVER 66.5

Two of the fasted paced offenses in the country. I'm interested in reasonable Baylor totals when I rate their opposition to score in the 20's and I do think they will here. Kansas actually unlucky to lose to TCU last week and had another really lopsided deceptive loss earlier in the year to Memphis when they turned it over 6 times. While this is a different Baylor offense than what we've seen past few years they have scored 59, 60 and 66 the past 3 in this series. Grobe says star WR KD Cannon should be full go at practice this week and expects him to play. I think Kansas is mildly competitive in a 49-28 loss.

Wake/FSU UNDER 52

Models unlikely to agree with me on this game and market hasn't either thus far as it currently sits 53. Terrible spot for FSU here coming off the emotional win last week. Wake lucky again, IMO, to get Syracuse in a hurricane game (I can't think of a worse team to play a hurricane game) and now catch the Noles in a good spot. Think the Noles defense turned the corner and is playing closer to what many expected from them preseason and I mentioned it last week they had faced 3 of the top 5 offenses in the country which can skew your figures just a bit.. I'm hoping Wake continues to hold up okay against the run and that FSU isn't all that interested in exploiting the vulnerabilities of the pass defense. Wake offense should do next to nothing, IMO and I think the sleepy spot helps keep the Noles from hanging a fully focused number on them. 34-13

Oregon St +13

I was initially handicapping this Sunday because I felt it could be a nice spot to bet an under, I didnt intend to bet a side in the game but I kept coming back to seeing it as a game where both teams score in the 20's and if both teams are in the 20's, +13 is a winner. I don't really have a whole lot to say about the bet, I haven't seen very much of Oregon State and what I have hasn't been pretty until they just went bananas on Cal last game and had me scouring the box score looking for Jacquizz and James Rodgers names! I know this, Oregon State may not be good but neither is Utah, certainly not good enough to be laying a couple TD on the road in conference. Utah offense more dynamic than it has been in year's past but I think that could also be a product of who they've played. This line just got crushed and is now 9 - I wouldn't be in a hurry to bet it but could see a 27-20 game.

Last edited:
LSU OL continued to shuffle yesterday. Dodd at C, Pocic out to RT, and Teuhema to LG. Clapp and Weathersby still out and I believe this will be the first live game action for this particular combination. Teuhema continues to play through an ankle problem and Malone at LT continues to play through some sort of arm/shoulder.

Thoughts on Ole Miss/Arkansas:

Last season this was the game of the year. If you don't remember this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vefcy6LY take a look at that one. Bama fans will remember it forever because that play indirectly won Bama the nat'l title. This is prob the least comfortable bet I've made this year. This is another where if it goes wrong I'm pretty sure I know how and why it will. Ole Miss has shown they jump up early and things just get out of balance - that is exactly what bama did last week and it turned what looked like could be a lower scoring game on paper into an 80 point shootout. That could happen. Last year it 31-31 after 3Q and finished 53-52 in OT where Ole Miss was -7.5 and a total of 55. This has probably the two best passers in the conference squaring off. I do like the Ole Miss DL and just as I thought last week, the Arky OL is just not good and for the second time this season Austin Allen just got killed. I believe that Arkansas will try to do more of what they did against TCU and slow things down and work really hard to establish a ground game. They almost have to because it's highly unlikely they think they can play a shootout with Kelly and Co and win. I like that the Ole Miss offense has found balance and more comfortability in the run game and that could shorten the game some. This has one of the nation's fastest moving offenses versus slowest moving. I'm going to need some teams to settle for FG instead of TD and both defenses to get off the field on 3rd downs. One thing that was nuts about last week for Arky was how their avg 3rd down distance was over 9 yards and they still somehow managed an absurd 8-16 3rd down conversions. They weren't good on 1st or 2nd down but they came up with some great throws and Bama busted several times that helped that number. This is one of those games's that I trust my numbers and know that it's unlikely to be a fun game to watch with an under ticket. 34-30

I didn't think that I would live to see a bigger kick in the nuts than Treadwell breaking his leg and fumbling at the 1 inch line to cost Ole Miss a shot at ATL, but little did I know that I would only have to wait 1 year to see God himself (herself?) reach down and steal another shot at ATL from the Rebs. It may have been the game of the year for everybody but Ole Miss and Clemson fans, but watching Ole Miss' woefully unprepared and undermanned defense get dominated by a dude who will be a CPA or some shit in a few years was painful.

A few scattered thoughts: Tony Conner was a shell of himself last year against Arkansas after rushing back from a torn meniscus suffered at Bama. That position is crucial to the effectiveness of Ole Miss' 4-2-5, and Conner struggled mightily in coverage against Arkansas' short game. He looked sluggish against FSU, but he knocked some of the rust off against Bama and played well against UGA and Memphis. I don't think that he will ever return to his 2014 form, but his mobility has significantly improved since last year. I expect him to be much better in coverage, which should limit the drags and outs that Arkansas relied on in '15.

Speaking of coverage, Ole Miss' secondary hasn't given up a passing TD since the FSU game. That's somewhat deceiving, but as I mentioned a week or so ago, talent was never the issue for the secondary. The unit has improved each week, and coming off of a bye, I expect Wommack to employ more coverage looks.

The LBs are atrocious, and the best of the bunch, D. Gates, is serving a suspension for a violation of team rules. Freeze benched him against Memphis and played coy about his status this week. That would worry me if I was considering an Ole Miss bet. The dropoff after Gates is enormous.

The running game looked solid against Memphis. Brazley has a burst that Judd doesn't, and D. Pennamon should be back this week. It's not going to be great, but it doesn't have to be with Ole Miss' passing game.

that's because they were soooooooooo down bro, you know that

also it had to be from our handicapped brethren from the EAST I imagine, yes?

Michigan had just got demolished by OSU...they seemed to be fine to come play.

And it is what it is with divisions. Many conferences are one-sided.

LSU OL continued to shuffle yesterday. Dodd at C, Pocic out to RT, and Teuhema to LG. Clapp and Weathersby still out and I believe this will be the first live game action for this particular combination. Teuhema continues to play through an ankle problem and Malone at LT continues to play through some sort of arm/shoulder.

everyone seems to want Pocic to stay there

I didn't think that I would live to see a bigger kick in the nuts than Treadwell breaking his leg and fumbling at the 1 inch line to cost Ole Miss a shot at ATL, but little did I know that I would only have to wait 1 year to see God himself (herself?) reach down and steal another shot at ATL from the Rebs. It may have been the game of the year for everybody but Ole Miss and Clemson fans, but watching Ole Miss' woefully unprepared and undermanned defense get dominated by a dude who will be a CPA or some shit in a few years was painful.

A few scattered thoughts: Tony Conner was a shell of himself last year against Arkansas after rushing back from a torn meniscus suffered at Bama. That position is crucial to the effectiveness of Ole Miss' 4-2-5, and Conner struggled mightily in coverage against Arkansas' short game. He looked sluggish against FSU, but he knocked some of the rust off against Bama and played well against UGA and Memphis. I don't think that he will ever return to his 2014 form, but his mobility has significantly improved since last year. I expect him to be much better in coverage, which should limit the drags and outs that Arkansas relied on in '15.

Speaking of coverage, Ole Miss' secondary hasn't given up a passing TD since the FSU game. That's somewhat deceiving, but as I mentioned a week or so ago, talent was never the issue for the secondary. The unit has improved each week, and coming off of a bye, I expect Wommack to employ more coverage looks.

The LBs are atrocious, and the best of the bunch, D. Gates, is serving a suspension for a violation of team rules. Freeze benched him against Memphis and played coy about his status this week. That would worry me if I was considering an Ole Miss bet. The dropoff after Gates is enormous.

The running game looked solid against Memphis. Brazley has a burst that Judd doesn't, and D. Pennamon should be back this week. It's not going to be great, but it doesn't have to be with Ole Miss' passing game.

Still can't see how they lost to FSU.
Over this week?

Still can't see how they lost to FSU.
Over this week?

I would lean Over. I would be concerned about Bielema playing keep away by chewing up clock, but I don't think he has the personnel for that. I would be surprised if Arkansas' D keeps Ole Miss below 40.

Glad it's helpful. MW or anyone else with an awesome database. Any data or games you can remember with a team from the south going to altitude for a game mid-season? Should be cold for Missippi standards and I imagine prob 99% of their team hasn't been too far outisde the state of Mississippi, aside from the trip this year to Massachusets, let alone to the mountains of Utah.

Woah, woah woah....who is crossing Mississippi River from SEC? (and this does not count Jerry World or college station)

Answering my own question - since 2011 southern teams at BYU:

2011 - W - UCF 24-17 (Sept 23)
2013 - W- Texas 40-21 (Sept 7)
2013 - W- Middle Tenn 37-10 (Sept 27)
2013 - W- Georgia Tech 38-20 (Oct 13)
2014 - W- Houston 33-25 (Sept 11)
2014 - W- Virginia 41-33 (Sept 20)
2014 - W- Savannah St 64-0 (Nov 22)
2015 - W- ECU 45-38 (Oct 10)

Only one team, FCS too, went and played when it was probably really cold. Doesn't seem like any fared too well. Would love to see if I could find any post-game quotes from players or coaches on how the altitude did/didn't impact them.

Lean BYU.....I have to think Messy has quit......and their coach

Talk about a guy missing his window of opportunity. Mullen's name used to get floated with lot of big names now he is gonna have to retire at Miss St unless Prescott's son signs as a QB

Lean BYU.....I have to think Messy has quit......and their coach

Agree, but I know next to nothing about BYU. . Here's what I do know: State is playing on a short week at altitude after getting mauled by Auburn in a game which will kick at 9 cst. There are also rumors that the locker room is divided over which QB should be playing. State getting rolled by Auburn cost us some value on BYU, but it's still either the Cougs or nothing for me

To your point about Mullen, he hired Sexton after not getting a contract extension last season, and his AD just left for UF. His name has come up during every coaching search over the last 3 years, and when the coaching carousel begins to spin this year, I think Sexton will get him out of Starkville.

Agree, but I know next to nothing about BYU. . Here's what I do know: State is playing on a short week at altitude after getting mauled by Auburn in a game which will kick at 9 cst. There are also rumors that the locker room is divided over which QB should be playing. State getting rolled by Auburn cost us some value on BYU, but it's still either the Cougs or nothing for me

To your point about Mullen, he hired Sexton after not getting a contract extension last season, and his AD just left for UF. His name has come up during every coaching search over the last 3 years, and when the coaching carousel begins to spin this year, I think Sexton will get him out of Starkville.

Does he take a clear demotion, you think? Sure there are better jobs than Miss St but he is still a HC in the best division in CFB. Would he take a job at USF or UCF if either opens up? He go all in for the Houston job? I just don't know where he goes especially given what is transpiring this year. If he goes, who does State go after, you think?

Does he take a clear demotion, you think? Sure there are better jobs than Miss St but he is still a HC in the best division in CFB. Would he take a job at USF or UCF if either opens up? He go all in for the Houston job? I just don't know where he goes especially given what is transpiring this year. If he goes, who does State go after, you think?

I think he might take a step down. He's a victim of his own (and Dak's) success. I think he's only got 2 years left on his contract, and he isn't going to be extended this year. Shit, they don't even have an AD right now. Their ceiling is 6-6 this year, and next year they will be worse with a tougher schedule. It will be interesting to see what vacancies are out there once the carousel gets cranked up. I don't know if they would take him, but I think Mullen would be a good fit at a place like Penn State. That's probably the best that he can hope for. I think he would go to Houston, and Sexton might be able to pull that off. I don't know where State would turn. Hudspeth used to be the favorite, but he's got NCAA baggage now, and his teams have sucked lately. If I'm State's new AD I'm hoping Norvell or McIntyre will answer the phone. It gets dicey after that. A program like State probably won't fare well in what should be an extremely competitive market this year.

Back