Week 7 (10/10-10/14) CFB Picks and News

Agent will cooperate with NCAA on illegal payments to Reggie Bush

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME style="OVERFLOW: hidden" marginWidth=0 frameSpacing=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ad.adsandads.net/imp?w=300&h=250" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 tagged="true" visible="false"></IFRAME>
The LA Times is reporting that a "sports marketer" who made payments to Reggie Bush and his family has agreed to cooperate with an NCAA investigation into the matter.
Lloyd Lake will "provide documentation of financial transactions" made to Bush and his family while the Heisman Trophy winner was a member of the USC Trojans football team.
Lake and his business partner Michael Michaels first came to national attention in April 2006 when Michaels told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Bush's family never paid rent on the home they lived in while Bush played at Southern Cal.
In September 2006, Yahoo Sports published a detailed investigation of improper payments made to Reggie Bush and his family by the two agents of more than a quarter of a million dollars in cash, rent and gifts.
In a January 2007 follow-up, Yahoo Sports reported the existence of audio tapes conversations between the family and the agents discussing the payments and other arrangements.
Since 2006, the NCAA has conducted an ongoing investigation into the matter, but little information has come out publicly until now.
According to the LA Times piece, the NCAA has asked Southern Cal to join them in the meeting with Lake but Southern Cal has declined to participate.
Experts have said that the resulting NCAA investigation could result in the forfeiture of games in 2004 and 2005, Bush's Heisman Trophy and even the school's 2004 National Championship, as well as future sanctions on recruiting and bowl participation.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->Posted by Kevin Donahue

Coach missing time to pay respects to brother-in-law

Posted: Tuesday October 9, 2007 4:03PM; Updated: Tuesday October 9, 2007 4:03PM
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina will be without Butch Davis for two days while the coach attends the funeral of his brother-in-law, the school said Tuesday.
Davis left Tuesday for Tulsa, Okla., for the funeral of Michael Wayne Townsend, the brother of his wife Tammy. Townsend died Saturday at the age of 49.
The coach was expected to return to North Carolina on Wednesday night, four days before the Tar Heels play host to seventh-ranked South Carolina.

Fresno St. suspends DL Shirley again

Posted: Tuesday October 9, 2007 11:38PM; Updated: Tuesday October 9, 2007 11:47PM

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- Fresno State defensive lineman Jason Shirley was suspended indefinitely Tuesday for an undisclosed violation of school policy.
Shirley was previously suspended for the first two games of the season for "conduct detrimental to the team."
Coach Pat Hill said the current suspension will last until a review by the Athletics Code of Conduct Committee can be conducted. Hill will not have any further comment until after the review is completed.
Shirley has four tackles for losses, two sacks and a forced fumble in three games this season.

Stroughter out for the year ... cornerback Tim Clark in eye of the storm ... No. 2 Cal awaits

Posted by [URL="http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/about.html"]Paul Buker [/URL]October 09, 2007 10:35AM

Categories: Football
This blog has been updated and given its usual thorough scan for potentially libelous, erroneous, extraneous b.s. ... of course, we occasionally miss a few.
CORVALLIS - OSU coach Mike Riley confirmed Tuesday during his weekly media session that star-crossed WR/PR Sammie Stroughter won't play again in 2007.
Stroughter has been out since the Sept. 22 Arizona State game with a bruised kidney.
Riley expects Stroughter to be granted a medical redshirt year, meaning he will play in 2008.
An outstanding student, Stroughter will have his undergraduate degree before the next Fall camp, and Riley said he will be in grad school.

medium_SAMMIE%20LATEST.JPG
Sammie Stroughter was declared out for the season (bruised kidney) on Tuesday by coach Mike Riley. Stroughter is expected to granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA.

Of course, his 2007 season was forever altered during the summer when grief-related issues (what the school and Stroughter's family told media) kept him out of practice and away from the team for a time. ... Stroughter returned, eventually, but really, he was only himself in one half of the Idaho State game. ... there were flashes of the old Sammie, but he wasn't all there in terms of being the same player who starred in the team's 10-4 2006 season.
Stroughter could write a book about what he's been through since last summer.
"I think he is disappointed,'' said Riley, "but he is also realistic. The No. 1 goal is to get well.''
"I think Sammie has grown a lot from what happened early on,'' said Riley.
I asked the coach if it was a difficult sell, both to Sammie and his family, to get him to play again next season. ... everything I've been told suggested he did not care for the peripheral aspects of being a star football player at this level. ... Stroughter does not like media attention, and although always friendly and engaging (when he's himself) he does not particularly to lay bare his feelings to reporters.
But No. 19 is apparently coming back in 2008, a great deal for Riley and the young receivers who will be a year older and just as eager to soak up everything they can from the pre-season All-America all-purpose player whose senior season took a wrong turn.
Also a huge boost for a certain sophomore quarterback.
"We would love to have Sammie this year,'' said Sean Canfield. "but having him back next year is big, too.''
"I think it's win-win,'' said Riley of the decision to pull the plug on this season and have No. 19 come back next year, "both for him and for the program.''
OSU tailback Yvenson Bernard, who had a career day (194 yards rushing) in the Beavers' 2005 win at Cal, hadn't heard the news about Stroughter when he was approached at the Valley Center. But the announcement didn't surprise him.
"It's a big loss,'' said Bernard, "but we've been without Sammie before.''
Bernard confirmed what Riley alluded to earlier in the day, that Sammie - in terms of his psychological well-being - seemed almost back to normal, if not all the way back to normal.
"Definitely,'' said Bernard. "He was on the sidelines the last two games, and he was definitely his old self. I think he definitely got his confidence back in the Idaho State game (9 catches, 160 yards, 2 TDs). ... you could tell he was Sammie.''
On other fronts ...
Soph CB Tim Clark is in the eye of the storm Saturday in the 4 p.m. game (national TV on Versus) between unranked, unloved OSU (3-3, 1-2) and No. 2-ranked Cal (5-0, 2-0), a team coming off a bye week following its huge win over Faber College at Autzen Stadium.
With the Beavers' best cover corner - Keenan Lewis - out for 2-3 weeks with a knee strain, the little-used Clark takes over on the left side opposite junior Brandon Hughes, who is having a terrific season. In fact, just as we predicted during Fall camp, this is turning out to be one hell of a ball-hawking secondary with nine INTs and counting.
Nothing against Clark, who was a great interview Tuesday as he talked about his opportunity to make a name for himself against the No. 2 team in the country on national TV. But THIS IS A TERRIBLE week for OSU to lose Keenan Lewis. ... if you've watched Cal this year, you know that the Bears have a lethal mixture at WR, with Robert Jordan and Lavelle Hawkins on one side and DeSean Jackson and Sean Young at the other.
DeSean Jackson might be the most dangerous college football athlete in the nation. He has been compared to Reggie Bush. He has moves that can cripple even the most skilled corner (remember the sideline dash vs. Oregon), and I'll be damned if Tim Clark's reaction to all of this is "bring it on!''
We're doing a feature on Clark that will run in Thursday's O. ... I will tell you that when I asked Clark if he thought the Bears would go right after him, his answer was "I hope so!''
We've got a story running Wednesday, basically saying that given all of the wackiness in college football this year, OREGON STATE OVER CAL isn't going to register on the richter scale in the same way as Appy State over Michigan, or Stanford over USC.
Given what happened in 2003 and 2005, when first Steven Jackson, then Yvenson Bernard ran over the Bears like an 18-wheeler running over a jackrabbit on the interstate, it would not be shocking if the Beavers won this game. ... logic says they don't have enough offense. Logic says the special teams mismatch will be hard to overcome. ... logic says Tim Clark can't cover Lavelle Hawkins or DeSean Jackson. ... but what has been logical about the 2007 college football season? ... and is it that far-fetched to think that an OSU defense that leads the Pac-10 in sacks and leads THE NATION vs. the run could make life difficult for Nate Longshore and Co.?
Did I drink the Kool-Aid?
No, I just know what my eyes have seen already in terms of ranked teams vs. alleged no-hope teams. ... no hope? Tell it to South Florida, or Syracuse, or Appalachian State, or the Stanford Cardinal. Tell it to Notre Dame, which had absolutely no business mugging UCLA last weekend.
Nothing is for certain this season. I think the Beavers would agree. They don't need to draw inspiration from Stanford, or from the 40th anniversary of Dee Andros' Giants Killers who beat one No. 2., tied another No. 2, then bushwhacked No. 1-ranked USC and O.J. Simpson.
"That's all great,'' said Riley. "But it doesn't have a lot to do with us.
"Our guys know we can win. We don't need a lot of other sources to tell us that.''
Did you hear him?
"Our guys know we can win.''
My personal opinion?
I think Saturday's game is going to be fun to watch.

McFadden and Jones Pose Stiff Challenge For Auburn

by auburn91 Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 06:40:31 AM EDT

By Jay Coulter
jccoulter@yahoo.com
<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
tubsvandy.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Playing in Northwest Arkansas has never been easy for Tommy Tuberville. Even though he calls Arkansas home, the locals have never been all that warm. Tuberville carries a 2-2 record in games played in Fayetteville (while at Auburn).
Saturday night will be no less challenging. Auburn will face a pair of backs that are every bit as talented as former Tigers Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown. And they operate in much the same way the Tiger tandem did three years ago.
Darren McFadden may fall short in the race for the Heisman, but he’s without question the best running back in the country. He’s rushed for more than 100 yards in each game this season and is averaging 155.8 yards a game. The only thing that might slow him down is that he’s still nursing sore ribs.
"He is about as good as I have seen in all my years of coaching," said Tuberville. "He is very illusive, he is physical, and he can run. He can outrun anybody that we have on our team and most teams in this country. He has that much ability. They are putting him at quarterback. They are putting him in certain positions so that he can get the ball many times."
<TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
mcfadden.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>When McFadden is taking a breather, the Tigers will get a healthy dose of Felix Jones, who may be the second best back in America. Jones comes into the game averaging 126.2 yards a game.
It looks like Auburn will get a break at the wide receiver position. All-SEC receiver Marcus Monk is doubtful for Saturday night. Recovering from a knee injury, Monk has been pointing to the Auburn game all year as his return to the lineup.
Arkansas coach Houston Nutt says that’s not likely.
"I would love to say yes, but I don’t think he is going to be ready," said Nutt. "He is trying every single day. He is getting a little closer. We just don’t know for sure if he will be able to play this weekend."
While the Razorbacks have a potent offense, the same can’t be said of the defense. Led by former Auburn linebackers coach Reggie Herring (1986-91), Arkansas has been unable to stop the run.
Last week against Chattanooga, the Razorbacks gave up 161 yards of rushing. Look for a healthy dose of Brad Lester, Ben Tate and Mario Fannin.
Defensively, the question is simple. Can Will Muschamp come up with enough healthy players to stop McFadden and Jones?
It looks as if Auburn will be without the services again this week of linebackers Tray Blackmon and Merrill Johnson. Defensive end Quentin Groves is also unlikely to see action.
Tuberville says he’s very pleased with his defense, but worries about the injuries on that side of the ball.
"We are becoming a very good defense although we still don't have a lot of our guys out on the field," said Tuberville. "It's one of those things where we need to get as many people back as we can, but we will have to wait and see until Saturday to see what happens.
"Quentin Groves went about 50 percent today (Tuesday), and Tray Blackmon the same thing. Aairon Savage and Merrill Johnson did not practice. We are still in the situation where we are going to have to depend a lot on our young players."
On the offensive side of the ball, all eyes will again be on the offensive line where Jason Bosley is out at center. That means freshman Ryan Pugh will move over from left tackle to take Bosley’s place.
This means another opportunity for senior King Dunlap to make an impression on coaches when he starts at left tackle.
"His (Dunlap’s) fire is burning a little bit hotter," said Tuberville. "He knows he has to pick his intensity up. King has a lot of ability and when he hurt his arm, his intensity wasn't there.
"Coach (Hugh) Nall is looking for a group that will play together plus everybody is going at the same speed. Injuries will keep that from happening. Now that he is healthy, I think he will pick up where he started earlier in the year. He played much better at the beginning of the year."

Gamecocks starting CB to miss game

Posted: Wednesday October 10, 2007 1:23PM; Updated: Wednesday October 10, 2007 1:23PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Coach Steve Spurrier says South Carolina starting cornerback Carlos Thomas probably won't play against North Carolina this week after experiencing some numbness after he got "bonked on the head" at practice.
Spurrier says Thomas was taken to a hospital and had some numbness in his arms at practice Tuesday.
Spurrier says Thomas has been released but is wearing a neck brace.
With Thomas out, Spurrier says the seventh-ranked Gamecocks would go with reserves Brandon Isaac, Addison Williams and Chris Hail.
Thomas is a junior from College Park, Georgia.
He has started five of South Carolina's six games this season and leads the Gamecocks with five pass break ups.

RJ- You beat me to posting the offical on Carlos Thomas. One note though, he won't be missed much this wkend. Carolina is just deep at DB. Issac logged more snaps at corner last week than Carlos did and he is a better DB but he is still nursing that sore shoulder. Stoney Woodson shifts from S/CB throughout the game and the run stoppers of Cook/Stewart have held down the safety spot. Thanks for posting that though

RJ- You beat me to posting the offical on Carlos Thomas. One note though, he won't be missed much this wkend. Carolina is just deep at DB. Issac logged more snaps at corner last week than Carlos did and he is a better DB but he is still nursing that sore shoulder. Stoney Woodson shifts from S/CB throughout the game and the run stoppers of Cook/Stewart have held down the safety spot. Thanks for posting that though

Yeah, I didn't think that it would make much of a difference either. I'm already on SC -6'.

DO NOT BE ALARMED BY MICHAEL CRABTREE
By SMQ
Posted on Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 04:07:55 PM EDT
</I>

298ea922-cc89-4974-9082-9c817ca2152f.jpg

Unsustainable...in every way...
- - -
There is zero chance he will actually do it. But, for the record, if redshirt freshman Michael Crabtree contines his statistical pace through Texas Tech’s first six games over its last six games, this will be the line for his first season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f17676"><TD align=middle>Catches</TD><TD align=middle>Yards</TD><TD align=middle>Yds./Catch</TD><TD align=middle>TD</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>140</TD><TD align=middle>2,148</TD><TD align=middle>15.3</TD><TD align=middle>34</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Just to drive home the complete absurdity of the thought, that production would have to come in tandem with the continued success of teammate Danny Amendola, whose pace over the first half of the season would leave him somewhere in the following neighborhood if duplicated:
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f17676"><TD align=middle>Catches</TD><TD align=middle>Yards</TD><TD align=middle>Yds./Catch</TD><TD align=middle>TD</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>108</TD><TD align=middle>1,370</TD><TD align=middle>12.7</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And, since I know you’re wondering, assuming he finishes every game, Graham Harrell’s final production would look like this:
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f17676"><TD align=middle>Att.</TD><TD align=middle>Comp.</TD><TD align=middle>Comp. %</TD><TD align=middle>Yds.</TD><TD align=middle>Yds./Att.</TD><TD align=middle>TD:INT</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>620</TD><TD align=middle>456</TD><TD align=middle>73.5</TD><TD align=middle>5452</TD><TD align=middle>8.8</TD><TD align=middle>56:6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The point here is that, in life, there are boundaries. There are societal boundaries, which, thouhg staunchly and sometimes violently defended, ultimately are fluid, and then physical boundaries, which are fixed no matter the will or firepower. The Red Raiders have strained the latter in large part by facing the following defenses:
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><CAPTION align=top>Ntl. Rank - TxTech First Six Oppnts.</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f17676"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Pass Eff. D</TD><TD align=middle>Sacks</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>SMU</TD><TD align=middle>95</TD><TD align=middle>55</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>UTEP</TD><TD align=middle>88</TD><TD align=middle>118</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Rice</TD><TD align=middle>117</TD><TD align=middle>72</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Okla. State</TD><TD align=middle>94</TD><TD align=middle>96</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>N'wstrn. State</TD><TD align=middle>90 (I-AA)</TD><TD align=middle>113 (I-AA)</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Iowa State</TD><TD align=middle>103</TD><TD align=middle>55</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
There is, of course, a chiken-egg component here: in every case above, one-sixth of the data came against Texas Tech. Yet certainly the Raiders don’t stand a chance of reproducing against the meat of the Big 12 schedule what they amassed against three secondaries from the bottom half of the C-USA West, one from the Championship Subdivision, another that allowed 388 yards passing in a loss to Troy and, most recently, a defense that found itself on the wrong of scores against Northern Illinois, Kent State and Toledo. Just to be sure:
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><CAPTION align=top>Ntl. Rank - TT Last Six Oppnts.</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f17676"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Pass Eff. D</TD><TD align=middle>Sacks</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Texas A&M</TD><TD align=middle>69</TD><TD align=middle>105</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Missouri</TD><TD align=middle>49</TD><TD align=middle>46</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Colorado</TD><TD align=middle>33</TD><TD align=middle>62</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Baylor</TD><TD align=middle>70</TD><TD align=middle>51</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Texas</TD><TD align=middle>42</TD><TD align=middle>34</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Oklahoma</TD><TD align=middle>57</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Okay? It’s just not going to happen. Because it can’t. Michael Crabtree is not a god. He’s a redshirt freshman who dropped the game-winning touchdown on fourth down at Oklahoma State (in front of Mike Gundy, who did not laugh, because he is a man who has children. Because he is 40). Even if Crabtree caught 14 for 237 and three touchdowns right before that. Don’t fall for it. This has to end.

Purdue star DE Avril could miss game

Posted: Wednesday October 10, 2007 5:20PM; Updated: Wednesday October 10, 2007 5:20PM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Purdue defensive end Cliff Avril could miss Saturday's game at Michigan with a right knee strain.
Avril was injured in the fourth quarter of last Saturday's 23-7 loss to Ohio State. Coach Joe Tiller said Avril would be questionable this week.
"I was encouraged because the prognosis on him was that it's not that serious a thing," Tiller said. "He doesn't have any damage in the knee."
Avril has been one of Purdue's top playmakers this season. He is second on the team with six tackles for loss, leads the team with three sacks and returned an interception 43 yards for a touchdown against Minnesota.
Tiller also said running back Jaycen Taylor would be involved in non-contact drills with the team this week. Taylor was the starter before missing the past three games with a broken right arm. Tiller said Taylor won't play on Saturday.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Stanford staying with Pritchard at QB

Posted: Wednesday October 10, 2007 3:49PM; Updated: Wednesday October 10, 2007 3:49PM

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Tavita Pritchard will remain Stanford's starting quarterback this week against TCU after upsetting No. 2 Southern California in his first career start.
Coach Jim Harbaugh said Tuesday that Pritchard would start this week even though T.C. Ostrander had been cleared to play after a seizure caused him to miss the USC game.
Pritchard, a redshirt freshman, led the Cardinal (2-3, 1-3 Pac-10) to 17 fourth-quarter points last Saturday, beating the Trojans 24-23 with a a 10-yard touchdown pass to Mark Bradford on fourth-and-goal with 49 seconds remaining.
"Three drives in the last three possessions for scores was very impressive and so was the way he handled himself around this ballclub," Harbaugh said. "I feel good about that decision."
Pritchard had to convert on fourth-and-20 four plays before the winning TD. He finished the game 11-for-30 for 149 yards and the winning TD.
"Whether I'm the third guy, the starter or the backup, I'm going to prepare every time like I'm the starter," Pritchard said. "Not a whole lot has changed."
Ostrander suffered a seizure at a Palo Alto restaurant on September 30 and was held out of the USC game for precautionary reasons. Ostrander, who completed 90 of 166 passes for 1065 yards as Stanford's starter over the first four games, has been cleared to play again and worked out with the team on Tuesday.
"I want to be on the field," Ostrander said. "I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but coach made a decision and if that's his decision, I will go along with it and just do the things I need to do to get better."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BIG PICTURE: SPECULATION AND DEMISE AT USC
By SMQ
Posted on Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 08:54:35 PM EDT
</I>

A disclaimer is probably in order: I thought USC would win the mythical championship at the start of the season, and think I was right to think so. I should say now that I saw it coming when I called the Trojans vulnerable, warned against “unbeatable!” hyperbole and questioned the lack of a go-to workhorse in the backfield, young receivers and a tendency to lose focus. But that’s not true: I compared doubting USC’s superior odds of winning the mythical championship to doubting the obvious greatness and influence of The Beatles, as self-congratulatory contrarianism with no basis in reality.
Again, I don’t think I was wrong to write any of that in August, and it won’t serve me any better to overreact now to that prediction’s untimely demise at the hands of an outfit I gave a zero percent chance of winning in Los Angeles and said was “not worth a second thought until it makes some kind of positive move on the field” after one of the worst seasons by any team in Pac 10 history. But this isn’t about one bad loss – it’s about recognizing a trend we’ve seen before, may be seeing again and acknowledging the reasons everyone missed it.
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><CAPTION align=top>Miami 2000-05</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #e78787"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>2000</TD><TD align=middle>2001</TD><TD align=middle>2002</TD><TD align=middle>2003</TD><TD align=middle>2004</TD><TD align=middle>2005</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Preseason Rank</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD align=middle>10</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Record</TD><TD align=middle>11-1</TD><TD align=middle>12-0</TD><TD align=middle>12-1</TD><TD align=middle>11-2</TD><TD align=middle>9-3</TD><TD align=middle>9-3</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Avg. MOV</TD><TD align=middle>27.2</TD><TD align=middle>31.8</TD><TD align=middle>21.5</TD><TD align=middle>12.7</TD><TD align=middle>13.7</TD><TD align=middle>12.7</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Bowl Game</TD><TD align=middle>W Sugar</TD><TD align=middle>W Rose (C)</TD><TD align=middle>L Fiesta (C)</TD><TD align=middle>W Orange</TD><TD align=middle>W Peach</TD><TD align=middle>L Peach</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Post-bowl Rank</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><CAPTION align=top>USC 2002-06</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #e78787"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>2002</TD><TD align=middle>2003</TD><TD align=middle>2004</TD><TD align=middle>2005</TD><TD align=middle>2006</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Preseason Rank</TD><TD align=middle>18</TD><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Record</TD><TD align=middle>11-2</TD><TD align=middle>12-1</TD><TD align=middle>13-0</TD><TD align=middle>12-1</TD><TD align=middle>11-2</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Avg. MOV</TD><TD align=middle>15.3</TD><TD align=middle>22.7</TD><TD align=middle>25.2</TD><TD align=middle>26.2</TD><TD align=middle>15.3</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=middle>Bowl Game</TD><TD align=middle>W Rose</TD><TD align=middle>W Rose</TD><TD align=middle>W Orange (C)</TD><TD align=middle>L Rose (C)</TD><TD align=middle>W Rose</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Post-bowl Rank</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>1/2</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Miami is not the only comparison – think of the rapid descents of Nebraska, which played for four mythical titles in five years from 1993-97, winning three, and played for another in 2001, and Florida State, which also played in four championship games in five years from 1996-2000 – but the Hurricanes are the most apt: a historically dominant team fallen on hard times, rebuilt by an NFL refugee, burst back into the national consciousness with one dominant breakout season, bestrode the country over the next two/three seasons with seemingly monolithic championship talent, began playing closer games and taking scattered losses that were mostly ignored in public perception...and that’s where the big picture comparisons end, for now.
USC’s “descent,” as it were, exactly mirrors Miami’s. Miami came storming back into the national picture in 2000 with a young team, like USC in 2003, that lost once and controversially finished outside the BCS championship game; in Miami’s case, the ‘Canes beat Florida State and finished the regular season second in both human polls, but lost its championship spot to FSU based on computers, where USC finished 2003 number one in both human polls but lost its chance at the Sugar Bowl to freshly-trounced Oklahoma. Off those respective disappointments, more seasoned teams thoroughly dominated in undefeated title runs (in 2001 for Miami, 2004 for USC) that ended in lopsided blowouts in the mythical championship game and no questions (sorry Auburn) about the national overlord at the end of the season. As heavy, undefeated favorites in 2002 and 2005, respectively, both programs were shocked in epic championship finishes, and bid adieu to the stars that had taken them there.

The end of the world as we knew it? Before we knew it?
- - -
You can start looking for hints of decay in those final championship seasons – Miami had to come from behind and watch a field goal sail wide to win at Florida State in 2002, USC had to rally from an 18-point halftime deficit at Arizona State in 2005 – but it gets really interesting when you begin to think of John David Booty as Brock Berlin, especially as they left the same high school as the top-rated quarterback in the country two years apart, waited their turn behind a championship-winning all-American, and inherited a balanced system seemingly stocked with top shelf talent and primed for instant success. In 2003, Berlin’s first season as a starter, Miami wasn’t exactly cruising with disturbingly close wins over Florida, West Virginia and Florida State, but it was ranked second and on track for another title shot when it was ambushed in a turnover-heavy upset at Virginia Tech. The ‘Canes later lost another shocker by four as a double digit favorite at Tennessee. In 2006, Booty’s first season as a starter, USC wasn’t exactly cruising with disturbingly close wins over Washington State, Washington and Arizona State, but it was ranked third and on track for another title shot when it was ambushed in a turnover-heavy upset at Oregon State. The Trojans later lost another shocker by four as a double-digit favorite at UCLA.

It seems obvious now Miami was on its way to ruin, but it didn’t then: the ‘Canes beat Florida State in the Orange Bowl and began 2004 an absurdly talented team still ranked in the top five. It remained there until a stunning loss at North Carolina in October as a 22-point favorite. If there’s a doppelganger to USC’s loss to Stanford, there it is – on the Miami curve, SC is in 2004 and another year and a half or so from true collapse.
In Miami’s case, hindsight again tells us the loss to UNC didn’t happen in a vaccuum, but was rather an early sign of serious cracks in Miami’s facade. We know the story from there: the ‘Canes rode talent and pride as far as it would last, which was roughly through the 2005 regular season, one that featured a tough early loss (at Florida State), an affirming win (27-7 at Virginia Tech), a truly deflating loss (at home to Georgia Tech) and a de-mythifier against a revved-up equal to close the year (40-3 to LSU in the Peach). UM began 2006 ranked 11th, but the kill shot was there in Atlanta, just as Nebraska’s had been in the 62-24 humiliation in Boulder the year before the Huskers fell off the map to 7-7 in ‘02 and Florida State’s had come in a shutout (yeah yeah, safety...the offense was shut out) against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl to close 2000. All of those deflated teams suffered massive personnel departures, especially at quarterback, and have yet to recover.
One mre parallel: coaching departures. Miami lost Butch Davis, survived among the elite for a while, then eventually fell flat and had to jettison in-house successor Larry Coker amidst relative ruin. Nebraska lost Tom Osborne, survived among the elite for a while, then eventually fell flat and had to jettison in-house successor Frank Solich amidst relative ruin. Relative ruin came much more quickly for Florida State, which fell flat the first year after losing longtime assistants Mark Richt and Chuck Amato and eventually had to jettison in-house offensive successor Jeff Bowden. USC’s staff below Pete Carroll has changed dramatically: Norm Chow and Lane Kiffin have moved on to the NFL (for...wait for it...in-house successor Steve Sarkisian) and Carroll himself gave up coordinating responsibilities before 2006 for ex-Idaho coach Nick Holt.
We don’t know the story for USC, and, the way recruiting has gone there, it might be a totally different arc. Three stunning losses in a year and a half might be as random and untelling of doom as each would seem to be when taken by itself. Matt Sanchez and/or Aaron Corp and/or Mitch Mustain might be the towering pocket god top-rated Kyle Wright has never been. I don’t mean to suggest USC is not still very, very good. In old coaching culinary parlance, certainly Carroll still has the chickens.
I only mean to say that our perceptions are shaped by the recent past more than the present, and we typically hold on to them far too long in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary, until something truly drastic happens to change them. Miami was a top ten team in the popular mind for at least a year after it had ceased to be so in reality, until it started last year 1-2 and was convincingly crushed by Louisville. After Nebraska lost two straight games by almost 50 points and its H*i*m*n-winning quarterback to end 2001, it still began the next seasonin the top ten, where it remained until back-to-back shellackings at Penn State and Iowa State. Stanford may or may not seem that drastic to you – as of now, USC is still in the top ten of both mainstream polls and 13th in the BlogPoll, so very observers are seeing impending crisis. Either way, it might be time to put the idea of goliath, dynastic USC out of mind in favor of merely good USC until we see some definitive reason for the former’s reinstatement.

From thewizardofodds.blogspot.com:

The Goat's Hero Is Wannstedt

Yes, this was a victory for the little guys. Those Midshipmen from Navy stunned Pittsburgh, 48-45 in double overtime Wednesday night, and now Panther coach Dave Wannstedt has some explaining to do.

Gene Collier of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Pitt had 10 days to prepare for Navy, 10 days to decipher an offense that's so darned unpredictable that it runs the ball 84 percent of the time, 10 days to ponder the implications of two Navy slotbacks whose combined weight does not equal that of starting Pitt tackle Jeff Otah. Swear to God."

There's more. Collier writes that Navy ran "a staggering 84 plays, about 80 of which were pretty successful."

And this: "When Wannstedt and his staff have more than a week to prepare for an opponent, Pitt's record is 2-8. In the same situation, by damning contrast, Navy coach Paul Johnson is 17-7 given the same advantage."

Joe Starkey of the Tribune-Review: "Pitt's defensive linemen wore shin guards in practice to prepare for Navy's cut-blocking. Maybe they should have worn chest protectors, because Navy's fullbacks spent the better part of the evening stomping over them for big gains.

"Didn't that fullback dive play show up on film study?"

Article published Oct 11, 2007
<!-- PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE -->Home loss to Wake one of Bowden's lows
FSU coach found nothing good about 30-0 loss
By Steve Ellis
DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

The short week between games has at least one advantage for FSU coach Bobby Bowden.
There is less time to address questions about Florida State's 30-0 loss to Wake Forest last season that was followed by the resignation of his son Jeff as offensive coordinator three days later.
Understandably, Bowden hasn't been big on engaging in conversations leading into Thursday night's Wake Forest game as to whether that loss was the low-point of his 32 seasons as the Seminoles' head coach.
But when the topic of low points was broached Bowden quickly mentioned a 31-0 season-opening loss at Miami in 1988 as being one of the low points for him.
“If you've coached as long as I have you have low points,” Bowden said. “(The loss to Wake Forest) qualifies.”
Although a case could be made for the 24-20 defeat to unranked N.C. State as being the low point last season and the catalyst for change, it was after the loss to eventual ACC champion Wake Forest that Jeff Bowden came over to his father's house.
“Jeff came by the house and said he thought it was best for him to resign,” said the older Bowden, who did not concur.
Following Jeff Bowden's decision and subsequent buy out, FSU overhauled the offensive staff and brought in four new coaches on that side of the line. Bowden was asked this week whether anything about that loss to Wake Forest could be seen as a positive.
“Dadgumit, I can't think of anything positive about it,” Bowden said. “You learn. You learn more from losses then you do wins, no doubt about that. Even if it's 7-6 you learn more from it.”
Last year's loss to Wake Forest was FSU's first shutout in 232 games, dating to that 31-0 loss at Miami when FSU was ranked No. 1 for the first time in the program's history. Last year's loss to Wake Forest was Bowden's first shutout at Doak Campbell Stadium. FSU quarterbacks combined for four interceptions and the offense finished with just 139 total yards.
But it wasn't just the offense that was the Seminoles' undoing, according to Bowden.
“Offense? How about defense, all of them,” he said. “That was the worst part about the season right there, 30-0. Every other game you could have won."
Yet Bowden won't use that loss as motivation as he sends his players out on to BB&T Field Thursday night.
“I never talk revenge,” Bowden said. “That doesn't work. You go out tell them I'm going to get revenge. Heck, you better whip them, that's what you better do. Revenge, payback and all that stuff is out the window.”
That may be the case for Bowden but the defeat remains fresh among the players who participated in that game, including Xavier Lee whose short stint as starting quarterback last season ended that day.
“Everyone was kind of down in the dumps,” said Lee, who is scheduled to make his second start of this season. “We really underestimated Wake. They came in our own house and embarrassed us. You can be sure that (this game) we do not underestimate them at all.”
Defensive tackle Budd Thacker, hopeful he can play after being sidelined for the past two games with a dislocated toe, talked about payback. And cornerback Tony Carter was among many who allowed he'll be thinking about last year's game leading to kickoff. “They won the ACC Championship, here at Florida State. We feel like that is our title,” Carter said. “That's going to be in the back of our minds."

Iowa football: Tate watches from afar <!-- CONTENT --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>varUsername = "skeeler@dmreg.com";document.write("By SEAN KEELER");</SCRIPT>By SEAN KEELER
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

October 10, 2007

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px"> 8 Comments</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Drew Tate isn’t enjoying this any more than you are.

“You know, from just watching what I saw and reading what I read on the computer and all this other stuff, it just doesn’t look like it’s the same Iowa team as when I first got there,” the former Hawkeye quarterback said by phone from Saskatchewan, home of his current team — the Roughriders of the Canadian Football League. “It’s not even close.”

Tate, who exhausted his eligibility last spring, has heard plenty about Iowa’s struggles — the Hawkeyes are 2-4 and tied for the Big Ten basement going into Saturday’s game with Illinois — via friends back on campus and Internet sites such as ESPN.com. But he became even more concerned after watching his alma mater play Penn State on ABC last Saturday.

“I was just like, ‘Golly, everyone’s dead, you know?’ It’s just crazy,” said Tate, who signed a two-year deal with the Roughriders in May — he’s currently on the team’s injured reserve — after getting cut by the St. Louis Rams.

“The defense, they played well, they just gave up a couple plays here and there. The offense didn’t help them out because (it) doesn’t look like it knows what’s going on.”

Tate is not without empathy for the Hawkeyes’ current quarterback, Jake Christensen, who’s been sacked 14 times the past two weeks. His senior season, 2006, was marred by injuries — to the oblique, then the left hand — and a five-game Big Ten losing streak.

“You can say all you want about scheme. I won’t get into that with my opinion,” said Tate, who tossed 18 touchdowns last year. “But it just seems, once we got into the second half of the season, every time we played somebody, s---, they knew everything we were going to run. They covered up everything. And throw on top of that young receivers that don’t know what’s going on, and I was hurt all last year … I think this year is kind of the same. You’ve got injuries and new guys and the schemes — the schemes are Iowa football.”

So what’s wrong?

“There’s tons of reasons. It’s not simple and it’s not going to change overnight.”

The Texas native tackled a number of other Hawkeye-related topics, including:

-- The mindset of freshmen entering the program: “Just the mentality of the younger guys was so different … as opposed to when we were freshmen. I wanted to be Nathan Chandler and then (former center Mike) Elgin and those guys, they wanted to be like the Bruce Nelsons and Eric Steinbachs. It seemed like when we got older, the younger guys came in and they didn’t give two s---- about us. Not all, I shouldn’t say all, but there was a good number (of them) that really didn’t listen. (Offensive coordinator) Ken O’Keefe blamed the seniors for being bad leaders — there’s nothing we (could) do if the kids weren’t going to listen to us.”

-- Dominique Douglas and Anthony Bowman, the receivers suspended from the team for allegedly using stolen credit cards: “I was disappointed. Because he and Bowman aren’t dumb. They know right from wrong. Everyone in college knows that. I know previously, there was a lot of problems, in terms of (academics) and stuff like that.”

-- On whether he feels vindicated after shouldering much of the blame from fans last season: “I don’t — and I don’t want (that). I’m an alum, although I’ve got two more classes I’m going back next semester to finish (for my degree). I don’t want Iowa to do bad. I want to coach somebody someday. I’d love to coach for (Kirk Ferentz) and the coaches love coaching for him. He’s a family guy, he’s a grinder. All the players loved him and respected him and I think people still do. It’s just — I don’t know.”

Is Saturday A Must Win For Houston Nutt?

by auburn91 Thu Oct 11, 2007 at 06:55:31 AM EDT

By Jay Coulter
jccoulter@gmail.com
<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
nutt.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It would be a mistake to overlook this weekend’s game at Arkansas. As fans, it’s easy to look ahead to next week’s showdown in Baton Rouge. But that would be a huge miscalculation.
Auburn is going to get all they can handle when they walk into Donald W. Reynolds Stadium on Saturday night. Look for Arkansas to throw everything they’ve got and more at the Tigers.
Why? Because a loss to Auburn will likely mean the beginning of the end for coach Houston Nutt. Despite having the best backfield in all of college football, Arkansas has limped to a 3-2 record and is still looking for its first conference win.
Message boards and Razorback blogs are heated this week with rumors of Nutt’s demise. A loss to the Tigers would only increase the pressure on Nutt and almost guarantee an end to his run in Fayetteville.
After Auburn, the Razorbacks still must face South Carolina at home and travel to Tennessee and LSU. The situation is grim at best.
In other words, Auburn better be ready. Playing a late night game on the road in the SEC is a tall task, regardless of who you play. When it means facing the two best runners in the country, things get even tougher.
Add in a coach who’s back is against the wall and things become darn near impossible. Las Vegas agrees – they have made the Hogs a three point favorite.
You can bet Darren McFadden and Felix Jones will get their yards. The key for the Auburn defense will be stopping the big play. Last year, McFadden reeled off a 63 yard run that broke Auburn’s back. In all, Arkansas had six runs that accounted for 144 yards of rushing. Things will have to be different this year for Auburn to have a chance.
It will be homecoming for two of Auburn’s heralded freshmen. Right tackle Lee Ziemba (Rogers, AR) will return to his home state for the first time as a starter for Auburn. Also returning will be back-up quarterback Kodi Burns who’s from Fort Smith, Arkansas.
When the Tigers look across the field to the Arkansas sideline, they’ll see the greatest Auburn defensive player to ever wear the uniform. Outland and Lombardi Trophy winner Tracy Rocker is defensive line coach for the Hogs.
The defensive coordinator for Arkansas is Reggie Herring. You may remember that he served on Pat Dye’s staff from 1986-91 as linebackers coach. He’s a class guy and still an Auburn man. His son, Adam signed with the Tigers this year and is a freshman linebacker.

A&M shuts down CoachFran.com

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1192119631375&lmt=1192119631&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1192119631375&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Ftexas_am%2F007208.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=834816700.1182524384&ga_sid=1192119617&ga_hid=1757399118&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
Texas A&M has told football head coach Dennis Franchione that he has to shut down his website, CoachFran.com, in the wake of the insider email embroilio.
In addition to shutting the website, A&M has issued a "letter of admonishment" to Franchione.
A&M conducted an internal investigation of the insider email incident and has issued a full release of it's findings as well as the entire list of boosters who subscribed to Franchione's email. A&M has also posted all of the private newsletters online for full disclosure and review.
Among the findings:
- Franchione was contractually required to report income from his website, CoachFran.com, but did not. Texas A&M University will report this as a violation to the NCAA.
- Franchione should not have disclosed injury information in private via the email list. Texas A&M University will report this as a violation to the NCAA.
- Franchione violated the principles of sportsmanship by commenting on Big XII officiating in an April 2007 email to the list
In addition to the above issues that will be reported to the NCAA and Big 12 Conference, the institution has reviewed several additional concerns and determined that violations have not occurred in the following areas.
Also,
Sports Wagering. Dennis Franchione and Mike McKenzie never had any knowledge of any of the recipients of the "VIP Connection" being involved in sports wagering activities. Therefore, based on available information, and in consultation with the NCAA membership services staff, Texas A&M does not believe any violation of NCAA Bylaw 10.3 has occurred.

Coaching Staff Limitations. Dennis Franchione and Mike McKenzie have both stated that Mike McKenzie was not contributing to the decisions of what plays to run, his attendance at play scripting meetings was for primarily personal enjoyment and would also provide insight to Mike for reporting to members of the "VIP Connection." Given the facts presented through the available information, the NCAA membership services staff determined that no violation must be reported.

Closed Bowl Game Practices. Information provided to recipients of the "VIP Connection" related to practices sessions in preparation for the 2005 Cotton Bowl was inaccurate. The institution reviewed its plan for practices with the NCAA membership services staff prior to the Cotton Bowl practices and conducted activities consistent with that guidance by opening the practice sessions to the general public.​
List of Known Recipients of the "VIP Connection."
It should be noted that some of the recipients were not paying subscribers and not all listed recipients have been recipients for the entire duration of the e-mails. Additionally, four subscribers to the "VIP Connection" have not responded to requests made by the institution or Seriously Clued Consulting. Neal Adams
Michael Burrichter
Michael Champine
Joe Clark
Ashley Franchione
Kim Franchione
Glenn Hart
Fred Heldenfels
Jerry Holditch
Stormy Kimrey (Subscription Ended October 2006)
David LeBoeuf
Jim Lind
Jack E. Little
Bob Lynch
C. John Mace (Subscription Ended June 2007)
Miles Marks
Charlie Mattei (Subscription Ended December 2006)
Artie McFerrin
Jeff McFerrin
Buppy Simank
Greg Walton
Dale Watts
Charles Wiseman

1538943663_32259a1d3c_m.jpg

Wannstached! Running back LeSean McCoy ran mad furlongs against Navy all night, but when the time came to daringly end the game before a third overtime, the Wannstache reverted to true form by passing with his freshman qb not once, but twice on both third and fourth down to botch away the Navy game. Quoth Wannstedt:
If I had the same situation, I would do it again.”
This may bring back nasty flashbacks for Bears fans. Quoth Wannstedt after going for two points and failing at the end of a 1997 game against the Miami Dolphins:
“Would I do it again?,” Wannstedt said. “Definitely. It looked like the ball was just overthrown a little bit.”

600 pages=6 points. Someone, as a reader put it, “sneaked into Bill Callahan’s fortress of mediocrity” and snapped a photo of Bill Callahan’s playbook.
1541738563_156f2ec78e.jpg

Dem’s many pages for 6 points against Missouri.

Kirk Ferentz Is Feeling The Heat

Posted Oct 11th 2007 2:00PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Iowa Football, Big 10, NCAA FB Gossip, NCAA FB Coaching
ferentz-heat.jpg
As the Iowa Hawkeyes prepare to host the Big Ten's biggest surprise this weekend, the Fighting Illini, the Hawkeyes have been just as much of a surprise in 2007. The problem is that their surprise is how bad they've been.

I don't think anybody thought the Hawkeyes were going to win the Big Ten this season, but since Kirk Ferentz took over the program nine years ago, the Hawkeyes have always been competitive in the conference. Not at the moment though. No, right now they're in the middle of a four-game losing streak, and have lost 10 of their last 13 games. To make matters even worse, they currently have an eight-game losing streak in conference play.

All of which means that Kirk Ferentz is catching some heat in Iowa City right now.
"About the only place I go is my house and the office," Ferentz said. "I haven't been exposed to all the grumbling. I've read about the grumbling. We're not doing well right now so I won't expect people to be applauding. That's not how it works.

"When you win, people are a little happier, including us. I don't feel like a victim now. The connotation of that word, I'm not there yet."
This is what happens when you're the highest paid coach in a conference at $2.8 million annually, yet you can't lead your team to a conference victory.

To be fair to Ferentz though, it's hard to pin the blame on him. With a combination of injuries and suspensions that have hit the Hawkeyes roster, they're not playing with their full squad. They've lost their top three receivers from last season, they're missing two starters on the offensive line, and they're without two key starters on defense in Mike Klinkenborg and Devan Moylan.

So I don't think there's any chance that Ferentz is going to lose his job anytime soon. That said, if the Hawkeyes don't start showing signs of improvement this season, and this carries into next season, Ferentz may just find himself finally taking one of those NFL jobs he's always rumored to be a candidate for in the not too distant future.

COACH FRAN FALLOUT: ADMONISHED!
By SMQ
Posted on Thu Oct 11, 2007 at 12:16:18 PM EDT
</I>

Most coaches are intensely focused on football, and view boosters, alumni and media responsibilities as unwelcome distractions from football, necessary evils at best and obstacles to effective job performance at worst. Does Nick Saban have time for that shit? He does not, and neither do most other bosses who see zone blitzes when they close their eyes but can't remember what their kids look like from August through February. But Dennis Franchione, as you are probably aware by now, is not most coaches. Does he not have assistants to handle the Xs and Os? He served his time as a hands-on grunt, and that can't be the life he chose, can it? If ever he had an opportunity to establish Fran the Brand, a diversified, 21st Century approach to becoming an across-the-board gridiron mogul, now must be the time. Team? Check. Rabid fan base? Check. Now, how does an enterprising coaching diva take maximum advantage of his lofty position and the high demand of that money-soaked demographic?

FRANCHIONE-DENNIS-MUG.JPG

Just tryin' to make a buck. What is this, Russia?
- - -

For years, Franchione has run his independent site CoachFran.com in the open, defying the university-backed overlords that govern the public face of more indifferent coaches who do not have time for that shit. We knew that. It took a humiliating drubbing on national television, though, before we became privvy via some fuming insiderz to the full extent of Coach Fran's behind-the-scenes communications empire, namely the well-chronicled "VIP Connection" e-mail newsletter sent to a select group of gossip-hungry subscribers for a mere $1,200 a year, written by Fran aide Mike McKenzie and distributed behind the university and athletic department's back for at least the last three years. Hush hush, nudge nudge, wink wink, check check, say no more, etc.

For the most part, this is just weird and funny, but when the story broke mainstream two weeks ago, A&M was immediately barraged with Freedom of Information requests, most of which proved futile because the e-mails weren't sent from university computers. Still, from news reports, its own investigation and cooperation from certain members of the "VIP" camp, A&M collected what it could and responded this morning with a lengthy run-down of violations and fallout.
First things first: here are the e-mails the university was able to recover in PDF form. Peruse them at great personal risk, mostly of mounting boredom.
Now, on with the consequences! (all emphasis is mine):
  • Actions Taken by the Institution
    1. Directed Dennis Franchione to discontinue the CoachFran.com web site.
    2. Directed Dennis Franchione or any company under his control to no longer employ any staff members that could be construed as representing Texas A&M or providing information or reports relative to his position as head coach at Texas A&M.
    3. The institution will issue a letter of admonishment to Dennis Franchione.
    4. The institution will reduce the permissible number of off-campus contacts (NCAA limit of 6) for each referenced prospective student-athlete by one for each impermissible reference to the prospective student-athlete.

- - -
Current content of CoachFran.com:
Snapshot_2007_10_11_10_39_54.tiff

Well, fine, it's all over now. But what about the money? TAMU had to respond specifically to NCAA Rule 11.2.2 re: reporting outside income:
  • Summary of Facts and Background:
    Upon employing Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M University was aware of the external internet interests of Dennis Franchione, and it specifically included stipulations in Section 10 of his contract that outside income includes income generated through internet web sites. Through the 2005-06 academic year, Dennis Franchione has not reported the revenue/income received through the Internet web site, CoachFran.com, and the "VIP Connection." He should have, but Dennis Franchione mistakenly thought that he did not have to report this income until he actually received proceeds from the third party web site consultant company that exceeded expenses incurred for maintaining and running the web site. Therefore, he did not report the revenue to the institution. Dennis Franchione did not directly receive any of the proceeds until June 26, 2007, and he would have reported the income as part of the institution's upcoming 2006-07 outside income report. Response from NCAA:
    The NCAA membership services staff confirmed that the funds maintained by a third party web site consulting company to offset the expenses for CoachFran.com were income and should have been reported to appropriate institutional authorities in the interest of full disclosure, institutional control and the monitoring of employee activities. Therefore, Texas A&M University will report a violation to the NCAA.

- - -
Later, if you really want to know, the report breaks down Fran's expenses thusly:
Snapshot_2007_10_11_10_24_54.tiff

This seems like a lot of trouble for $9,000 for a guy making over a million a year, but then again, the job security is not great. You have to wring every penny out of that gravy train while you're still on it, I guess.
Moving on...

Recruiting? We all love it, those awesome teenagers destined to fill our coming autumns with excitement and a heightened sense of self-worth. But you can't talk about it:

• Summary of Facts:
    Occasionally, the "VIP Connection" contained the name of prospective student-athletes or mentioned information specific to a prospective student-athlete without stating the prospect's name. Response from NCAA
    The NCAA Membership Services staff has informed the institution that several of the comments discovered to have been made in the "VIP Connection" are contrary to this provision and should be reported as violations.

- - -
On the conference level, the Big 12 doesn't care much for teams undermining its officials - though, in a pinch, its member administrators will call for the results of certain games to be overturned when called by a crew from another conference - a memo that apparently didn't reach McKenzie's desk or arrived with a big `disregard' stamp on it:
  • This standard of conduct, including changes made by the Big 12 Board of Directors to prohibit any public comments on officiating or the quality of their work, was shared by Bill Byrne on December 12, 2006 with all members of the Texas A&M coaching staff and senior staff members group, which included Mike McKenzie. The comments contained in an April 13, 2007 "VIP Connection" e-mail appear inconsistent with the Big 12's expected standard of conduct and has been reported to the Big 12 for appropriate actions.
    - - -
A&M was waxed by Tennessee 38-7 in the 2005 Cotton Bowl, and there's no explanation for the fine young athletes of College Station taking a beating like that unless there are bona fide shenanigans, right? Au contraire, sez the resident Association support staff: there's no evidence of knowledge on the part of Franchione or McKenzie that any of the VIPs were using the information for the damnable act of wagering or that there was any unusual dissemination of info from closed practices before that Cotton Bowl. So no violations there. Though McKenzie did, you know, pretty well enjoy his time in "play-scripting meetings," which were not exactly off-limits:
  • Dennis Franchione and Mike McKenzie have both stated that Mike McKenzie was not contributing to the decisions of what plays to run, his attendance at play scripting meetings was for primarily personal enjoyment and would also provide insight to Mike for reporting to members of the "VIP Connection." Given the facts presented through the available information, the NCAA membership services staff determined that no violation must be reported.
    - - -
Final note: among the 23 (entirely uncooperative) individuals listed as super secret "VIP" subscribers, only two names are likely to mean anything to anyone outside of the A&M community, and those only from their last name: Kim Franchione, Coach Fran's wife, and Ashley Franchione, one of their two daughters. Since these are already super secret VIPs on a daily basis and have no need whatsoever to subscribe to a "secret" newsletter, their inclusion on the list can only mean they were being charged for the info, too. Well, maybe it can't only mean that, but we're going to assume it unless specified otherwise. Cuz a man's gotta make a living, doesn't he? <!-- poll box -->

Stupid Is As Stupid Does: Franchione Investigation Uncovers Three Violations

by HornsFan Thu Oct 11, 2007 at 12:05:19 PM EDT

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne told reporters today that an internal investigation conducted by Texas A&M uncovered three potential violations related to Dennis Franchione's "VIP Newsletter."
(1) Franchione did not report to A&M income generated through his Web site or from the VIP Connection. The school said Franchione thought he did not have to report the income until he actually received the proceeds that exceeded expenses incurred for maintaining the Web site. (2) The VIP Connection occasionally contained information about prospective student-athletes. The NCAA prohibits a school from commenting publicly on recruits until they sign letters of intent.
(3) The school suggested that Franchione violated Big 12 standards of sportsmanship.

Three strikes, you're out?
Maybe not. For now, Byrne says Franchione will be administered a "letter of admonishment" - whatever that means. One wonders exactly how an already cynical Aggie fanbase will welcome the findings of this investigation. Though Byrne appears to be sidestepping an in-season housecleaning, the odds of Fran surviving beyond this year appear increasingly slim.

'Cats RB questionable for LSU game

Posted: Thursday October 11, 2007 3:45PM; Updated: Thursday October 11, 2007 3:45PM

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky running back Rafael Little has shown little progress in recovering from a deep thigh bruise and his status for Saturday's game against No. 1 Louisiana State remains undetermined, Kentucky coach Rich Brooks said Thursday.
"He's still very questionable," Brooks said, placing Little in the same category as starting outside linebacker Johnny Williams. "We've got 48 hours. We'll just have to wait and see if they make any significant progress."
Brooks said Little's injury is particularly nagging to a running back.
"With a thigh bruise you get bleeding, you get swelling and it restricts your movement with your knee," Brooks said. "That's a problem. He does not have full function of the knee at this point."
With Little's status up in the air, Brooks said wide receivers Keenan Burton, Dicky Lyons Jr. and DeMoreo Ford likely will return kick-offs and punts.

SOUTH FLORIDA MAY BEGIN LOSING NOW
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:38:33 AM EDT
</I>

And Boston College and Missouri. Fun while it lasted. Mid-October, though, time to get real. Kansas and Cincinnati, we just assume you'll be going down, anyway, but for the record, hurry up with that, would ya? Actually, no. Scratch that: forget you were acknowleged at all.
The first BCS rankings drop Sunday on FOX, and USA Today deserves some credit for devoting the bulk of a roundup column this morning to the pre-emptive dissing of USF...on FOX:
  • The criticism of No. 5 South Florida began even before Sunday's release of the first Bowl Championship Series rankings. On Fox's NFL pregame show last weekend, former Miami Hurricanes coach Jimmy Johnson said USF doesn't belong in the Top 5. He also said there are several two-loss teams that could wear the Bulls out.
    - - -
Snapshot_2007_10_12_08_30_58.tiff

Grothe, hmmm? Needs to be catchier...how about, 'Boeckman?' And maybe get him in some red...
- - -

One of those teams, I'm guessing: Auburn, which, courtesy of its wins over Kansas State and Florida, has been the most impressive two-loss team of the first half of the season. The Tigers also lost to South Florida. Theoretically, yes, Auburn could wear the Bulls out, if Johnson is bent on institutionalizing a hypothetical reality because Bo Jackson was a man, I'll tell ya. Craig James and Doug Flutie were less outright dismissive during Wake Forest's win over Florida State Thursday night, but they did circle the Bulls in the top five, make comments to the effect of "WTF?" and "this is crazy!" and maintain a general air of incredulity.

And as USA Today makes clear in a separate article this morning by the same writer, Kelly Whiteside, devoted exclusively to the early BCS projections, there is no room for the Bulls or anyone else who was standing outside the club in August: in a scant analysis (a blistering 412 words) on the national picture as it's likely to appear Sunday afternoon, USF isn't mentioned once. Neither is any team, in fact, outside of the presumed top three, and since LSU is hermetically sealed at the top unless/until something drastic happens, we have our early narrative: it's Cal versus Ohio State.
  • After last week's games, analyst Jerry Palm of CollegeBCS.com had the Buckeyes No. 2 in his projected standings. However, Palm says it's too difficult to predict who will be No. 2 Sunday assuming LSU, Cal and Ohio State win.
    "Since Cal and Ohio State are so close, it won't take a lot to flip them," Palm says. "For example, if Cal struggles against Oregon State and Ohio State blows up Kent State, Ohio State would be No. 2 in the polls (USA TODAY Coaches and Harris). Or turn it around and say Cal wins big and Ohio State struggles, and all of a sudden Cal's thin margin over Ohio State is huge." Ohio State is No. 4 to Cal's No. 5 in the projected computer average, though Palm cautions, "There's a lot of variance in the computers this time of year."

- - -
"Variance" = "Malfunctioning," such as ranking some combination of South Florida, Boston College, Arizona State or Missouri second and third, respectively - the exact order is uncertain, since Palm's projections are behind a pay wall and the article doesn't once mention which teams they currently forecast in those not-at-all crucial positions. Don't worry, though, because "this isn't the one that counts," and those lovable underdogs will be out of the picture by the time it does. Until then, CAAALIFORNIA! High-flying princes of the Pacific!...OHIOOOO STATE! Omnipotent overlords of the Oooolentangy!...(And don't forget about USC!)
I'm not foolish enough to think that there's any chance that any undefeated member of the LSU-OSU-Cal triumverate would be denied a championship slot unless it was by the other two, and really, it's way too early to be thinking about this. Which is, maybe...yes, okay, this is the point: it's too early to begin separating the "real" championship contenders from the chaffe when, in a month, when it's LSU and eight one-loss teams gnashing their teeth in the rearview, it will all look like chaffe. The narrative has changed on a weekly basis - lord, we're setting up Ohio State or Cal as a frontrunner - and will continue to change on a weekly basis, as its nature. So of course Palm is right that these rankings do not matter.
The discussion about them will always matter, though, because the human element is responsible for two-thirds of the BCS championship formula and humans are swayed by these opinions. Mostly old humans who have never seen South Florida play a full game, some of whom, I guarantee, have never seen USF play a down, can't name the coach and don't know the mascot. It has to be demonstrated to them somehow that USF and Cincinnati and Boston College are what their records and subsequent rankings say they are, which is "good." If they keep winning - USF and Boston College should be favorites throughout, Cincinnati in every game but USF and probably West Virginia - we'll be back to the same argument we had well into November last year, until Cincy knocked off Rutgers: Is the Big East/ACC good enough to send a champion to the mythical title game?
My tentative answers is "yes," depending on the specific resumé of that champion (undfeated USF would have an edge right now on undefeated Cincinnati, for example, by virtue of its win over Auburn), but it's too early to tell that story. Which is why the book should be still open to everyone.
- - -
I should remind readers no blog wants South Florida to fail quite like this one. But facts is facts.

<!-- poll box -->

« LSU vs. Kentucky Preview

Early Doucet To Play…..Rafael Little Questionable.

Looks like Early Doucet is going to play this weekend. Yesterday’s Baton Rouge Advocate article says that he practiced in full gear at full speed. We definitely need him if we are going to beat Kentucky this weekend. Meanwhile, looks like Kentucky’s Rafael Little is questionable for the game. For those of you unfamiliar with Kentucky, his nickname is “little Reggie Bush”; he’s a very, very good running back. Personal opinion, I think a competitor like that is going to do everything in his power to play.
This is going to be an awesome game, I’m looking forward to seeing Andre Woodson work against our Defense.

Phil's Top 25

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=14 rowSpan=5>Wk of October 11th
</TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=2>
item2a2a1a1a1a1a1a.gif
</TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=10 rowSpan=2>
item2a2a1a1a1a1a1a.gif
</TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=11></TD><TD height=14></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=34></TD><TD height=9></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2>#1 vs #17
</TD><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=17></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=11></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#2
</TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=33></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=53>Yds Rushing
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=53>Yds Passing
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=53>Points
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=53>Turn Overs
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#1 LSU
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>213
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>163
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>33
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.2
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#17 Kentucky
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>98
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>243
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>26
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.6
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=11></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=21></TD><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Oregon St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>130
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>223
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>22
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.9
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#2 California
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>121
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>293
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>40
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>1.9
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=38></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3>With the Wildcats getting a lot of press this season as a possible SEC East champ the Tigers will be en guard. Last year LSU took on this same UK team and beat them 49-0! UK was fortunate vs Arkansas on the road as they were outgained 373-131 in the first half but a fumble return TD had them only trailing by 7. LSU had a 546-227 yard edge last year vs the Cats and held Woodson to 14 of 37 for 145 yards.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #1 Lsu 35 KENTUCKY 20

</TD><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=12></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=21></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=2>The key here will be turnovers and my computer says the Beavers will turn it over 4 times. Oregon St has outgained each of their foes but were done in by interceptions vs Cincy and Arizona St on the road and 3 straight fumbled KR’s vs UCLA. They have an underrated defense but Cal should get the home win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #2 CALIFORNIA 38 Oregon St 24

</TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=106></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=9></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=34></TD><TD height=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2>#3
</TD><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=17></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#4
</TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=31></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=18></TD><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Kent St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>50
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>115
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>0
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.1
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#3 Ohio St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>235
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>215
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>38
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.0
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=12></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=21></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=10 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#4 Boston College
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>103
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>220
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.7
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Notre Dame
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>32
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>295
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>18
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.3
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=39></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=16></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3>If you check out my projected standings you will see it now forecasts the Top 5 at the END of the year and it has LSU playing Ohio St for the national title. CLICK HERE. Kent St coach Martin says he will pull his starters early to keep them fresh for conference play so no shot at the upset here.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #3 OHIO ST 34 Kent St 6

</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=11></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=21></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=10 rowSpan=2>BC just played 3 weak teams and put little into those games. Both are off misleading finals as BC had a huge 2Q last week fueled by TO’s and the Irish had just 140 yards total offense vs UCLA taking adavantage of 7 TO’s with UCLA down to a 3rd string walk on QB. Irish could make a game of this at home. PHIL’S FORECAST: #4 Boston College 20 Notre Dame 17
</TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=73></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=16></TD><TD height=15></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=34></TD><TD height=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2>#5
</TD><TD colSpan=24></TD><TD height=22></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#6 vs #11
</TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=26></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=17></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>UCF
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>148
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>165
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>20
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.8
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#5 USF
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>187
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>205
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>34
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.7
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=19></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD colSpan=10 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#11 Missouri
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>105
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.0
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#6 Oklahoma
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>230
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>280
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=7 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=31></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=17></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3>USF survived their letdown spot last week with a close win over FL ATL. UCF was whipping East Carolina at the half but FIVE TO’s in the 3Q and a KR TD saw them blow that lead. I will call this by the same score my computer forecasts and both teams have been more impressive than most expected.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #5 USF 34 Ucf 20

</TD><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=19></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD colSpan=10 rowSpan=3>The Tigers delivered a blowout win at home in a game that was part of the Big 12 North elimination series. Oklahoma has a much stronger defense than Nebraska and gets this at home. look for the Sooners to get back to their impressive wins that they had at the start of the year.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #6 OKLAHOMA 41 #11 Missouri 24

</TD><TD colSpan=7 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=65></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=17></TD><TD height=23></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=3>#7
</TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=24></TD><TD height=30></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=8></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#9
</TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=12></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=18></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#7 S Carolina
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>113
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>253
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>32
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.3
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>North Carolina
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>153
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>193
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>19
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.8
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=33></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Washington St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>109
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>298
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>24
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#9 Oregon
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>252
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>333
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>45
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=17></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3>Last weeks upset win over Miami Florida will make sure that the Gamecocks come in here prepared this week. Spurriers Cock N Fire offense should get more potent each week that QB Smelley gains experience.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #7 South Carolina 31 N CAROLINA 21

</TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=33></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=2>The Ducks are back to action after blowing their home game vs California. Wash St has not fared well on the road and Oregon should roll to an easy win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #9 OREGON 52 Washington St 24

</TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=41></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=17></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=34></TD><TD height=11></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2>#10
</TD><TD colSpan=24></TD><TD height=18></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=11></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#12
</TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=30></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=21></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Arizona
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>-2
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>188
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>14
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#10 USC
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>182
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>273
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>34
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.9
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=10></TD><TD height=14></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=8></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#12 Virginia Tech
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>137
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>220
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>36
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>1.7
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Duke
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>58
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>255
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>18
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=36></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3>QB Booty is doubtful but backup Sanchez would be starting for over half the schools in the NCAA and USC is off a loss and in an angry mood. PHIL’S FORECAST: #10 USC 38 Arizona 10
</TD><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=12></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=24></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=3>VT is doing it with defense and special teams (as usual) and last week at one point had 24 points vs Clemson but just 2 FD’s! Here my computer calls for them to roll up 357 yards offense (2nd best total of year). Duke did trail Wake Forest 34-9 last week but keeps playing teams closer than expected.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #12 Virginia Tech 27 DUKE 13

</TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=37></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=31></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=7 rowSpan=3>#14
</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=26></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=20></TD><TD height=14></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=3>#15
</TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=20></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Washington
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>133
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>170
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>17
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#14 Arizona St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>172
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>290
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>31
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.1
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=38></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=10>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Louisville
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>85
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>403
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>28
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.7
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#15 Cincinnati
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>186
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>313
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>41
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=13></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=20></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=9 rowSpan=4>At the start of the year I called for the Sun Devils to open the year at 8-0 and they keep getting closer. They were lucky to escape Pullman with a win last week but will find a little more breathing room at home this week. My computer calls for ASU to have a 462-303 yard edge here and win by 14. I know Washington only lost to USC by 3 and has the benefit of a bye but ASU is solid on both offense and defense and keeps rolling on.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #14 ARIZONA ST 34 Washington 17

</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=35></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=19></TD><TD height=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=11 rowSpan=4>My forecast goes against my computer and goes against my basic philosophy of always favoring a team with a solid defensive edge. The Cards defense has looked pathetic on national TV vs Middle Tennessee and Utah and now goes on the road vs a solid Bearcat D. Cincy has benefited from a soft schedule and Louisville was the team ranked in the preseason. My computer forecast calls for the yards to be 499-488 making it a tossup and Louisville is too talented a team overall to drop to 3-4 (aren’t they?).
PHIL’S FORECAST: Louisville 35 #15 CINCINNATI 32

</TD><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=4></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=8></TD><TD height=95></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=23></TD><TD height=7></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=6 rowSpan=2>#16
</TD><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=34></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=22></TD><TD height=14></TD></TR><TR><TD width=3>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=145>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=7>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=268>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=3>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=70>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=30>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=73>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=4>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=262>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=9 height=1>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><MAP name=map1><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,1369,74,1379 href="../Contact%20Us/contact.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,1341,75,1351 href="../Advertisers/advertisers.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1314,121,1326 href="../Regionals/regionalotherpag.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=7,1301,124,1313 href="../Regionals/regionalaccbigea.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1288,73,1300 href="../Regionals/regionalpac10.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,1275,60,1287 href="../Regionals/regionalsec.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1262,77,1274 href="../Regionals/regionalbig12.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1249,78,1261 href="../Regionals/regionalbig10.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1236,119,1248 href="../Regionals/regionalpreviews.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=2,1225,7,1229 href="../Regionals/regionalpreviews.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1203,87,1215 href="../ProPreview/propreviewrightp.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1189,79,1201 href="../ProPreview/propreviewleftpa.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1176,86,1188 href="../ProPreview/propreviewfront.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1141,115,1153 href="../Fantasy/collegeotherpage.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1127,109,1139 href="../CollegePreview/collegepreviewri.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1114,102,1126 href="../CollegePreview/collegepreviewle.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,1100,108,1112 href="../CollegePreview/collegepreview.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,1024,110,1034 href="../Misc%20Pages/scheduleslogs.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,996,78,1006 href="../Misc%20Pages/2005ncaastats.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,950,80,963 href="../NFL/nfllinks.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,936,88,946 href="../NFL/nfllinks.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,908,106,921 href="../NFL/fantasymain.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=15,880,91,890 href="../NFL/2007nflweekbywee.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,866,94,879 href="../NFL/2007nflweekbywee.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,824,108,836 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007quotes.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,796,94,809 href="../FBS%20Info/schoollinks.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,782,124,795 href="../FBS%20Info/schoollinks.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,754,55,764 href="../Articles/articlesmain.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,726,120,736 href="../Bowls/bowlsmain.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=12,698,103,708 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007qa.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,684,134,696 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007qa.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,656,114,666 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007radioshows.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,628,134,641 href="../Misc%20Pages/o'brienaward.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,600,106,610 href="../Misc%20Pages/tedhendricks.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=10,572,103,582 href="../Misc%20Pages/lombardiaward.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,544,123,557 href="../Misc%20Pages/mackeyaward.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=10,516,110,529 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007diviaainjuri.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,502,127,515 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007diviaainjuri.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=10,474,51,487 href="../Misc%20Pages/week1injuries.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,460,117,473 href="../Misc%20Pages/week1injuries.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,432,135,445 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007specialteams.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,404,120,417 href="../Misc%20Pages/passeffd.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,376,120,389 href="../Misc%20Pages/ncaaprojectedsta.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,362,80,372 href="../Misc%20Pages/ncaaprojectedsta.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,334,132,347 href="../Misc%20Pages/2007collegepower.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=8,306,100,316 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/Future%20Schedules/futureschedulesf.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,278,65,288 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/Div%20IAA%20Schedules/conferencemain.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,264,125,277 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/Div%20IAA%20Schedules/conferencemain.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=9,236,111,249 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/2007weekbyweek.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,222,119,235 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/2007weekbyweek.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,194,65,204 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/ncaaschedules.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,179,115,192 href="../NCAA%20Schedules/ncaaschedules.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,149,136,159 href="../FBS%20Info/midssn%20all%20conf/midssnallconfmai.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,135,130,145 href="../FBS%20Info/midssn%20all%20conf/midssnallconfmai.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,105,132,118 href="top25main.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,76,119,89 href="../Misc%20Pages/phil'sweeklynote.html"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=11,47,99,57 href=" http://ncsports.websitegear.com"><AREA shape=RECT alt="" coords=13,0,78,13 href="http://www.philsteele.com"></MAP><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#16 Hawaii
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>78
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>360
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>44
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>San Jose St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>112
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>24
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>#18
</TD><TD height=51></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=1></TD></TR><TR><TD width=158>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=348>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=37>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=345>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=16 height=1>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=10></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#18 Illinois
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>209
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>123
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>222
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Iowa
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>107
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>278
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>16
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD height=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3>Colt Brennan is still not 100% but the Warriors should still get this key road win and continue on their path to an unbeaten season. I really respect Dick Tomey and the job he is doing but without RB Yonus Davis they lack the firepower to stay with UH.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #16 Hawaii 44 San Jose St 24

</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=53></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=5>This is a GREAT spot for Iowa. Their once proud team comes back home after another loss and are in a must win situation. Illinois just upset Wisconsin and Penn St at home and their young team is hearing how great they are. They now must go on the road with everyone expecting them to win and Iowa having the advantage of being an underdog. Only problem with calling for the upset is Illinois has the stronger offense and defense and a lot more confidence.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #18 Illinois 23 IOWA 20

</TD><TD height=50></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=23></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=2>#19
</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=51></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#19 Wisconsin
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>130
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>175
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>20
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Penn St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>195
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>30
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD></TD><TD height=27></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=6></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=3>#20
</TD><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=21></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=8></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=5>One of these teams is ranked and the other is not but when the week is over I feel Penn St will be the ranked team and the Badgers will drop out. The home team has won 3 in a row in the series including Penn St’s 35-14 win here in 2005 vs the #14 ranked Badgers. Penn St had a 489-194 yard edge at home vs Iowa last week while the Badgers were being outrushed on the road by Illinois 289-127. Penn St has my #4 rated defense and gets a solid home win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: PENN ST 30 #19 Wisconsin 16

</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=26></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Baylor
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>15
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>3.3
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#20 Kansas
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>197
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>340
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>44
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD height=54></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3>Kansas is on a roll using the Bill Snyder method. They scheduled 4 creampuffs to open the year and beat all 4 decisively gaining a lot of confidence. That made them a strong team and now they have pulled off a key upset win on the road vs their rival. Kansas is outgaining foes at home by 334 ypg and outscoring them by 48 ppg. Baylor trailed Colorado 40-9 in the 3Q gaining 235 of their yards late with the outcome decided.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #20 KANSAS 45 Baylor 17

</TD><TD height=65></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=17></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=2>#21
</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=40></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=11></TD></TR><TR><TD width=158>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=342>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=3>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=34>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=345>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=15 height=1>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#21 Florida St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>114
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>275
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>28
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.4
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Wake Forest
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>101
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>190
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>21
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.5
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>#22
</TD><TD height=51></TD></TR><TR><TD width=157>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=348>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=38>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=345>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=16 height=1>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=13></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=3>I will be honest and let you know that last year I expected Florida St, which was at home, and looking up at Wake Forest in the ACC standings to get a solid win at home. Wake came in and shockingly handed Bobby Bowden his first and only home shutout loss by a 30-0 margin! If the game is played on paper and with power ratings than Florida St wins handily. That is not the case and WF under Grobe overachieves on a yearly basis and last week led Duke by 25 points before allowing some late scores. I picked FSU as one of my surprise teams this year but they have not been overly impressive. Perhaps they will have a big 2nd half of the year.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #21 Florida St 28 WAKE FOREST 21

</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#22 Auburn
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>167
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>153
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Arkansas
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>269
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>108
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>25
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD height=54></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3>Auburn has played some impressive ball the last two weeks including their upset of Florida. Arkansas let their last SEC home game get away from them as they had a 21-7 lead vs Kentucky and a 373-131 yard edge at the half but a fumble return for a TD was a 14 pt and momentum swing and they lost. Auburn is out to avenge last years loss which basically cost them the SEC West but I really like the Hogs rushing game led by McFadden and Jones and they were good enough to win solidly on the road last year and get this one at home.
PHIL’S FORECAST: ARKANSAS 30 #22 Auburn 20

</TD><TD height=138></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=10></TD><TD height=10></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3>#23
</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=20></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD height=9></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD rowSpan=3>#24
</TD><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=22></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=11></TD><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#23 Texas
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>240
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>30
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Iowa St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>82
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>15
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=24></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=7></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#24 Georgia
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>168
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>183
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>27
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Vanderbilt
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>173
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>21
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD rowSpan=3></TD><TD height=23></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=3>Iowa St has the large advantage of Gene Chizik on the sidelines as he was the defensive coordinator the last two years at Texas and knows their personnel inside and out and they have already upset Iowa this year. Texas has the advantage of much stronger personnel and that Iowa win does not look as impressive any more. PHIL’S FORECAST: #23 Texas 37 IOWA ST 13
</TD><TD></TD><TD height=27></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=4></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=5>Georgia is on the verge of falling out of the rankings but Mark Richt still has a great record in opposing teams stadiums at 23-4. Vanderbilt was very disappointing last week as well. The Dogs are off an embarrassing loss and have the talent edge and get a much needed win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #24 Georgia 28 VANDERBILT 20

</TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD height=65></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=10></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=2>#25
</TD><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=51></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=9></TD><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=12>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>#25 Tennessee
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>156
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>250
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>35
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>1.9
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=124 height=17>Mississippi St
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>114
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>165
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>25
</TD><TD vAlign=center width=53>2.9
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=9></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD height=45></TD></TR><TR><TD width=156>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=343>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=31>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=1>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=345>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=2>
_clear.gif
</TD><TD width=17 height=1>
_clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>The Vols turned their season around with an IMPRESSIVE win over Georgia last week but have Alabama and Steve Spurrier the next two weeks and Miss St has impressed me almost every week including their upset of Auburn on the road. They led late 3Q at South Carolina until a blocked punt turned that game around. I will call for the upset.
PHIL’S FORECAST: Mississippi St 30 #25 TENNESSEE 27

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Brent Miller to have surgery

Jeff Metcalfe
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 11, 2007 06:11 PM
Arizona State starting tight end Brent Miller will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Friday to check for any possible cartilage or ligament damage.

"It's safer to go in and see," coach Dennis Erickson said.

Miller did not play against San Diego State and Washington State. He suffered a grade 1 medial collateral ligament strain in the Colorado game and also took a hit on the knee in the final seconds of the Oregon State game. Miller had reconstructive anterior cruciate ligament surgery on the same knee in 2003.

Brady Conrad, Tyrice Thompson, Andrew Pettes and Jovon Williams will play the tight end positions against Washington on Saturday.

<IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-5672001405375674&dt=1192207821328&lmt=1192207821&format=468x60_as&output=html&correlator=1192207821328&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scalpem.com%2Fblog%2F2007%2F10%2F11%2Fdemon-deacons-beat-noles-24-21-fsu-qb-controversy-looms%2F&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=000000&color_link=660000&color_url=660000&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1139097938.1192207821&ga_sid=1192207821&ga_hid=592275210&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=468 scrolling=no height=60 allowTransparency></IFRAME>

Demon Deacons Beat Noles 24-21, FSU QB Controversy Looms

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> digg_url = 'http://www.scalpem.com/blog/2007/10/11/demon-deacons-beat-noles-24-21-fsu-qb-controversy-looms/'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> digg_title = 'Demon Deacons Beat Noles 24-21, FSU QB Controversy Looms'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> digg_bodytext = 'By Bill KristophAs dynamic as Xavier Lee was in the first half, was as bad as he was in the second half against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Lee, and the FSU Offense were brutal in the second half, and the Seminole rushing attack raised its white flag yet again. Give credit to [...]'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> ( function() { var ds=typeof digg_skin=='string'?digg_skin:''; var h=80; var w=52; if(ds=='compact') { h=18; w=120; } var u=typeof digg_url=='string'?digg_url:(typeof DIGG_URL=='string'?DIGG_URL:window.location.href); document.write("<iframe src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.php?u="+escape(u)+(typeof digg_title=="string'?('&t='+escape(digg_title)):'')+(typeof digg_bodytext=='string'?('&b='+escape(digg_bodytext)):'')+(typeof digg_topic=='string'?('&c='+escape(digg_topic)):'')+(typeof digg_bgcolor=='string'?('&k='+escape(digg_bgcolor)):'')+(ds?('&s='+ds):'')+"' height='"+h+"' width='"+w+"' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe>"); } )() </SCRIPT><IFRAME src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.php?u=http%3A//www.scalpem.com/blog/2007/10/11/demon-deacons-beat-noles-24-21-fsu-qb-controversy-looms/&t=Demon%20Deacons%20Beat%20Noles%2024-21%2C%20FSU%20QB%20Controversy%20Looms" frameBorder=0 width=52 scrolling=no height=80></IFRAME>
By Bill Kristoph
As dynamic as Xavier Lee was in the first half, was as bad as he was in the second half against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Lee, and the FSU Offense were brutal in the second half, and the Seminole rushing attack raised its white flag yet again. Give credit to the Deacons who played to their strengths and managed their mistakes, while Xavier Lee continued to turn the ball over. And although the FSU defense was strong in the first half, yet again they couldn’t finish the game. The Demon Deacons eventually ran over, and threw over the “vaunted” Seminoles D. And, in the middle of all this mediocrity, Lee was pulled for Drew Weatherford, who prompted didn’t complete any passes, behind a line that yet again forgot how to block when #11 was in the game.
Are we in for QB Controversy Part 743? Interestingly enough, after Lee was pulled for running the wrong plays according to head coach Bobby Bowden, Weatherford warmed up, then Lee warmed up, and Lee was reinserted, where he threw a down-field interception. It’s obvious Lee has the cannon. It’s also obvious he doesn’t throw the routine stuff well, just like the coaches said. So who does FSU go with? The guys that does the little stuff, but can’t go down the field, or the guy that might make a big play for every bad play? The fact is that it doesn’t matter. Without a running game, without better run blocking and without stupid penalties, these Noles are no better than the editions we’ve seen recently. My season prediction of 8-4 is AWFULLY optimistic at this point. We’ve got two QB’s, which means we’ve got none.
Hunker down Seminole fans, it’s going to be another exhausting, nail-biting 2nd half of the season for the garnet and gold, with ever tougher opponents on the horizon.
P.S. Don’t look now, but Miami visits in just over a week.
P.P.S. Preston Parker gives me hope.

Notre Dame Newspaper Pleads for Students to Not Storm Field

Posted Oct 12th 2007 1:45PM by Brian Stouffer
Filed under: Boston College Football, Notre Dame Football, ACC, NCAA FB Campus, NCAA FB Fans
singlet-dude-240sm.jpg
It's articles like this that kind of make you want to bury your head in the sand with shame for your football team. An enterprising youth from ND has taken the time to write a letter to the editor of the student newspaper and plead with his fellow students not to storm the field after this weekend's inevitable victory over #4 Boston College.

ull-rushing the field against our weaker, inferior little brother would be embarrassing. We would be showing them a sense of respect that they don't deserve. Storming the court against BC in basketball was bad enough when we ended their 20-game winning streak in the 2005-06 season. Let's not surrender to the same temptation and make the same mistake in football.

Ugh. You've absolutely got to be kidding me. First of all, discussing whether or not to storm the field the week before a football game is ridiculous, especially when your team is 1-5. And pontificating about another team not being worthy of respect... and referring to them as "our little brother"? Give me a break. Hopefully, you Fanhouse readers are reasonable enough to recognize that this dingbat's opinions do not represent the entire Notre Dame fanbase, and, moreover, do not represent in any way the opinions of this blogger.

And, yes, there's more...

[A]fter we win, let's keep our excitement in the stands. Storming the field is about being an underdog, and Notre Dame is never an underdog against Boston College - regardless of our record. We should never expect to lose to Boston College. And when we beat them this weekend, let's act like we've done it before.

Because we have.​

Orson Swindle takes it the obligatory hilarious one step further, and pretty much sums up the appropriate reaction to this screwball. Have fun this weekend, and stay the hell off of the field!

GUEST COLUMNIST: TOMMY KILBORN, NOTRE DAME STUDENT

180px-RedheadedGuy.JPG

Hello, all. I’d like to thank Orson for giving me the chance to address all of you on an important topic today: our upcoming game against Fredo. I mean, Boston College. It’s so hard to stop saying that! Because we’re the Godfather, and don’t you forget it. GO IRISH!
To begin, let me say that I cannot agree more with my compatriots and fellow Golden Domers in urging our fellow students to not storm the field when–and I did just say that–when we beat Boston College tomorrow. In fact, I couldn’t agree more unless I disagreed with the idea that there was even a game tomorrow. That’s just how little we should pay attention to Boston College. So there, I’m saying it: there’s not even a game tomorrow. We shouldn’t even field a team, so obviously superior are we to the number 4 ranked team in the nation.
You see, they’re not even another football team, really. In fact, going to the game would be an acknowledgment that they even existed. We shouldn’t even watch the game tomorrow, or check a score, or even think about enjoying it win or lose.
Our game against whom, you ask? Good question. I forgot what I was talking about completely! If you’d like to use the Notre Dame football field tomorrow, intramural squads, go ahead. The field will be completely open, because no one will be there.
In fact, I don’t think we have a game until Navy, and then USC after it. So tomorrow, whew, do I have some free time on my hands as a Notre Dame football fan! I was thinking of doing a little lawn bowling if anyone would care to join me. I’m pretty competitive when I get going, so you are warned–I’m Tom Zbikowski fierce when I get going!
There’s Evan Almighty at the dollar theater, too. That Steve Carell’s a hoot! I think I’ll bring some candy into the theater with me, too–probably Twizzlers. I’ll bite the end off, and stick it in the drink like a straw while I watch Morgan Freeman play God. Then I’ll eat it. It’ll be all hard from the cold, but I’m tough. I’ll chew through it like a champion would.
Or perhaps I’ll watch some other football, even. Sure, the teams won’t be the Irish, with our 11 consensus national titles and seven Heisman Trophy winners. But I could watch Alabama! Oh, they’re so cute when they paw after the ball and have to rely on colors to name their plays. It’s like they can’t even read! That Nick Saban and his huge salary are just indicative of the rampant, feckless bowing to Mammon some college football teams are all about these days.
A weekend without football will be hard, but it’ll be worth it, Irish fans. Go Irish! Beat Navy!
Sincerely,
Tommy Kilborn
Guest Columnist, EDSBS
GO IRISH!!!

FRIDAY THE TWELFTH: DISASTER
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 03:21:19 PM EDT
</I>

I don't do a lot of straight news updates, as the constant vigilance required for that is not tenable and the vast majority of stories are self-explanatory and available all over the place. Sometimes, though it's impossible to ignore headlines like the following when they appear in a row on a single sidebar:
Florida DB killed in motorcycle accident
- - -
  • GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- A walk-on defensive back for the Florida Gators was killed early Friday when the motorcycle he was driving hit a median at a high rate of speed, police said. Michael Guilford, a 19-year-old redshirt freshman from Quincy, was not wearing a helmet. Neither was passenger Ashley Slonina, a Florida junior from Lynn Haven who also died in the crash.
110.jpg

• [...]
    Guilford, nicknamed "Sunshine" because his long blonde hair resembled that of Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass in the football movie "Remember the Titans," was named one of the scout team players of the week following Florida's win over Mississippi earlier this season. Guilford also mimicked Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith during preparation for the Bowl Championship Series national title game in January.

- - -
Penn State RB Scott charged with rape, assault
- - -
  • STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Suspended Penn State running back Austin Scott has been charged with raping a woman at her on-campus apartment after meeting her at a bar.
    Scott, 22, was arraigned Friday on charges of rape, sexual assault and two counts of aggravated indecent assault, all felonies, in connection with the Oct. 5 encounter.
    [...]
    "The interaction he had with the woman involved was consensual, and we anticipate we will be able to prove that in court," his lawyer, Joseph Amendola, said. "Very optimistic. We're looking forward to the opportunity of establishing his innocence."
    Authorities said the encounter occurred in the early morning hours of Oct. 5. Coach Joe Paterno suspended Scott later that day, saying the tailback had violated an unspecified team rule. Scott remains enrolled at Penn State.
    [...]
    Scott also faces three misdemeanors: two counts of indecent assault and one count of simple assault. He was released on $50,000 unsecured bail and ordered to stay away from the alleged victim.

- - -
03-26-07dsports-08b.jpg

Austin Scott! Austin Scott! Will you go down as one of the most disappointing and possibly embarrassing recruits in Penn State history?
- - -
This is very, very bad news for Penn State, which has already endured the mother of all campus brawls this summer and was probably going to get away from the Paterno road rage incident with a few laughs. Rape and assault, though, that's not laughs. That gets you labeled "Thug U" and puts even more heat on an elederly, belligerent coach whose program is apparently beginning to fall apart (um, again) on the field and off.

Dismissed LB Williams pleads guilty
- - -
  • LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)-- Willie Williams, who was dismissed from the Louisville football team after being charged with marijuana possession, pleaded guilty Friday to the misdemeanor charge.
    Other charges, including a felony offense of tampering with physical evidence for allegedly trying to eat the marijuana before police found it, were dismissed as part of a plea agreement, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal reported on its Web site.
    The 22-year-old former linebacker was thrown off the team Sept. 27, the day after he was arrested.
    Police said he failed to pull his car over for several blocks when an officer tried to stop him for loud music. The officer noted that Williams was chewing on marijuana when he stopped, according to a police report.
    Williams was sentenced to 120 days in jail, but it was conditionally discharged for two years, meaning he will not have to serve the time as long as he stays out of trouble. His attorney, Grant Helman, said Williams is transferring to a junior college in Virginia or Georgia to complete his education and at some point will try to resume his football career.

- - -
Actually, if it weren't for the price to his future he has to pay for it in this case, trying to eat the evidence is kind of funny. And sad. So, so sad. What is wrong with the children?

RJ - Nice work you are doing this year and BOL this week. Always appreciate the effort in your threads, great stuff.

Thanks, Tim. Hope you enjoy reading this stuff. A little more entertainment this week, but if we aren't having fun doing this...than why bother?

Austin Scott charged with rape

Staff and wire report

STATE COLLEGE — Nittany Lions tailback Austin Scott, 22, has been charged with rape, sexual assault and two counts of aggravated indecent assault, all felonies.
CDT/Christopher Weddle
Austin Scott

He also faces misdemeanor charges of simple assault and indecent assault.
According to court papers, the charges were filed in response to an attack on a woman that police say occurred at Scott’s apartment in Nittany Apartments about 4 a.m. on Oct. 5.
That was a day before the Lions were scheduled to play Iowa. The morning of the game it was announced that Scott would not be playing because he had violated unspecified team rules.
Scott declined to comment as he left the courtroom Friday.
“The interaction he had with the woman involved was consensual, and we anticipate we will be able to prove that in court,” his lawyer, Joseph Amendola, said. “Very optimistic. We’re looking forward to the opportunity of establishing his innocence.”
Advertisement
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--document.write('<scr' + 'ipt language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/mi.cdt00/News/Local;dcove=d;pl=story;lvl6=Local;loc=bts;pos=NTL3;' + dart_reg + dart_segs + dart_tk + kw_str + 'tile=3;sz=300x250;ord=' + ord + '?" type="text/javascript"></scr' + 'ipt>');//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/mi.cdt00/News/Local;dcove=d;pl=story;lvl6=Local;loc=bts;pos=NTL3;reg=0;tile=3;sz=300x250;ord=1331220236697476.2?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://adserver2.teracent.net/Ads2/js/Ads.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://adserver4.teracent.net/tase/ad?url=http%3A//www.centredailylocal.com/index.htm&referrer=http%3A//www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/231851.html&AdBoxType=16&AdType=1&RealURL=http%3A//www.centredaily.com/news/local/v-print/story/231851.html&NewWindow=1&IFrames=1&UserImage=null" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott remains enrolled at Penn State.
“As with the case with any sexual assault, we consider it a matter adjudicated by the court, and we can’t get into details at this point,” university spokeswoman Lisa Powers said.
Scott was released on $50,000 unsecured bail and ordered to stay away from the alleged victim.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Wednesday.
For more details, check back at CentreDaily.com later or see tomorrow’s Centre Daily Times.

FRIDAY QUARTERBACK
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 05:33:05 PM EDT
</I>

On the surface, this looks like one of the weakest slates of the season – only two games featuring two ranked opponents, at least one of them (LSU at Kentucky) seeming like a probably runaway. Get into it, though, and it’s one of the most crucial for conference positioning. Championships in December will be decided in very large part by the outcomes of these games:
fbcampspic.jpg

Think we’re out of the Big 12 South race? IT AIN’T TRUE!
- - -
  • Purdue at Michigan: Purdue comes in off its first loss, desperately needing a big win to keep confidence and pace; Michigan’s looking to make Illinois a crucial rubber match in a couple weeks.
    Oklahoma State at Nebraska: Both teams have struggled but are still only 1-1 in the Big 12 and have at least two of their three respective division leaders in front of them.
    LSU at Kentucky: KU doesn’t control its own destiny as it is, but its hopes are virtually shot with a second loss, even to a West team. To stay in the race with a loss here, the Wildcats would have to beat Georgia, Florida and Tennessee (not to mention Vanderbilt and Mississippi State, both currently sporting winning records) and hope South Carolina loses two of three against Florida, Arkansas and Tennessee. The two teams that actually control their own destiny in the East right now: USC and Tennessee. Everyone else needs some kind of help.
    Wisconsin at Penn State: Elimination game; with losses to Illinois and Michigan, PSU might be done already.
    Texas A&M at Texas Tech: A&M can remain in first at 3-0; Tech can move to 2-1 and keep pace with Oklahoma (with a win) and A&M (with a self-evident loss) and possibly OSU, if the Cowboys win in Lincoln.
    Georgia at Vanderbilt: Loser moves to last place in the division is all but mathematically eliminated from the title race with a third conference loss.
    Missouri at Oklahoma: OU already has one loss and could fall two games back in the case of an A&M win; Missouri’s trying to keep pace while earning some respect and a little margin of error with Kansas and Colorado coming down the line.
    Auburn at Arkansas: With LSU still to come, Auburn can hang on to control of its own destiny. The Hogs might already be done, but are officially finished if they fall to 0-3.
    East Carolina at UTEP: UTEP, incredibly is the only undefeated team remaining in C-USA play besides Rice, which is terrible and will immediately lose to whomever it is playing (Houston) because said team will not give the game away one air-mailed interception at a time and try to raise your crushed dreams with a spirited comeback that ends in yet another, emotionally cataclysmic turnover in the final minute. Rice sucks to its core and this must be proven. Anyway, match-up of division leaders. Colorado at Kansas State: CU enters in first place, on a roll with Kansas and Missouri in front of it; K-State needs win to keep pace with loss already to KU.
I don’t think there’s anything particularly disappointing about that (except Oklahoma State-Nebraska and Penn State-Wisconsin and of course Michigan, but you know. Beggars can’t be choosers).

Onwards... Finally, We’ll Learn About...
- - -
UConn hits its first worthy opponent of the year, at 5-1 Virginia, but one of the day’s most interesting rubber matches is in the Big 12 North, where Kansas State (Texas) and Colorado (Oklahoma) each have one big win to their name to accompany respectable but very much earned losses (Auburn/Kansas and Arizona State/Florida State, respectively). Both feel like contenders in the conference, but both are still sitting on the possibility that the breakthrough win was something of a fluke. Colorado, currently 2-0 in the league, would still be technically fine with a loss, but the loser here is dismissed from the division race until it makes another bold step to prove otherwise.
Most to Gain
- - -
Missouri stock soared last week – perhaps on the rising value of opening week victim Illinois as much as the Tigers’ gruesome smackdown against sudden fifth-place favorite Nebraska – and will hit a 57-year high if Mizzou can win in Norman, where Oklahoma is riding a 13-game win streak. This is Missouri’s road record against non-losing teams under Gary Pinkel, including mid-majors:
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eddf86"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>2001</TD><TD align=middle>2002</TD><TD align=middle>2003</TD><TD align=middle>2004</TD><TD align=middle>2005</TD><TD align=middle>2006</TD><TD align=middle>2007</TD><TD align=middle>TOTAL</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Wins:</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Losses:</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD><TD align=middle>15</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The two wins: over 6-6 Texas A&M in double overtime in 2002 and over 7-5 Iowa State in 2004. Missouri is still just Missouri until that changes.
Most to Lose
- - -
The Pac Ten has always been a wild, parity-driven league, and Cal and Arizona State each have few upset skeletons in their closet. Visiting Oregon State and Washington are softies in record only, and I looked at the Huskies especially hard as a potential upset reach. Neither the Bears nor Devils have the Teflon USC does in the polls: one letdown by either, and undefeated, mythical championship dreams turn instantly to dust.
...AND ALL THE CHILDREN LEARNED TO MULTIPLY BY SEVEN...
In the miserable realm of blowouts and other morbid curiosities.
- - -
Inevitable Massacre of the Week
The biggest line of the week belongs by far to Ohio State (-31) against Kent State, but the best bet in destruction is in Kansas, where the Jayhawks have not hesitated in pouring hot scoreboard oil all over its vanquished opponents during a 5-0 start. A brief reprieve from the pounding to beat Kansas State last week, and back to the blowout series Saturday against Baylor. The Bears are not as bad as KU’s first four hapless victims, but the 24-point line might need to edged up. Just a smidge.
Buffalo Line Watch
Since it joined Division I-A in 1999, Buffalo has been favored to win just once, against Temple to open the 2006 season. This week, after waxing Ohio U. 31-10 for its second win of the season...BUFFALO IS FAVORED TO WIN!!!! HALLELUJAH, BROTHERS AND SISTERS!! SPREAD THE GOOD WORD!!! TELL IT FAR AND WIDE!
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/bxnH8uUUsz0 width=365 height=290 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
And the Lord said! That the Bulls would be! A 2.5 to 4.5-point favorite over Toledo! HA! Even though that’s kinda weird! Because Toledo is historically much better than Buffalo and has won two of its last three including a win over Iowa State! PRAISE HIS NAME!!
Lame Game of the Week
The worst, Jerry.
- - -
Louisiana-Monroe earned its first win of the season last week, a balanced, 31-13 victory over Arkansas State after being outscored by 25 points per game in its first four. That makes the War Hawks clear and substantial favorites over 0-5 North Texas, which dropped last week’s “Lame Game” to the other UL (Lafayette) and has now been outscored by an average of 32. The Mean Green have as good a chance as any here to escape the winless cellar currently occupied only by UNT, Colorado State, Florida International and Utah State. WE CAN REBUILD. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.
Bouncing back.
- - -
Rutgers: Nothing could be nicer for the reeling Knights after two straight home losses than Syracuse, even in the Carrier Dome. Ray Rice should top 100 before the half, if he gets the chance.
Texas: With or without killer instinct, Longhorns have no excuse for falling flat again at Iowa State, site of victories by Kent State and Northern Iowa.
USC: It’s a good sign if the Trojans come out blazing against Arizona, which is ripe to be blazed. A lackluster rebound off a shattering loss indicates complacency, not regaining focus.
Houston: Please please please just knock Rice from that ‘1-0’ column on top of the C-USA West. Okay? Thanks!
TCU: Reeling a bit after the departure of Tommy Blake, but just good enough to keep Stanford from thinking it’s actually any good.
Southern Miss: God help them, if USM falls to 1-2 in the conference with back-to-back losses to Rice and SMU, it is going to get really ugly around that program. I don’t know who the quarterback will be, but he has to be able to beat SMU. Doesn’t he? Yes, yes, of course, he does...he...crap.
Upwards...
60d01cb1-d5b6-46aa-8374-5fcc5a5ba77d.jpg

Running? Passing? You're screwed either way.
- - -
GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK!
Missouri at Oklahoma

- - -
What’s at Stake: As much as Missouri has on the line here (see above, plus Kansas right beside the Tigers in the standings), Oklahoma is the team here just trying to keep pace in its division: a loss and a Texas A&M win would drop OU two games back of the Aggies, from whence it would no longer control its own destiny for the Big 12 championship, as it still does right now and would continue to do so with a win. Any national ambitions are still distant and should be sublimated in the name of maintaining position to win the conference.
Missouri Wants: There was nothing unusual about what Missouri did last week: Mizzou is averaging 557 yards and 42 points per game, and Nebraska’s defense hasn’t done anything all season to suggest it’s even an average unit, much less above. So there may be some lingering questions about the Tigers’ ability to move the ball against an elite defense (which Oklahoma’s, in the top 11 nationally in rushing, total and scoring D, certainly has been most of the time), I’d be surprised if Missouri didn’t come out gunning the spread option as hard and fast as it could go. This will be easily the most balanced, big play-oriented attack the Sooners will face the rest of the season; Missouri averages 357 per game passing while still running for 200, which is really staggering, and it will benefit from an aggressive approach that gets OU on its heels early, guessing and a step slow on its assignments. Chase Daniel is not a deep ball gunslinger, but he is a first rate athlete and decision-maker when the offense is going downhill and a more consistent passer than Brad Smith – it’s pretty much a given he’s going to make some big plays against any defense. Oklahoma also had some obvious breakdowns against Texas tight ends last week, and faces a better (and better-utilized) pair here in Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman.

Defensively, Sam Bradford hasn’t proven he can win without the benefit of a strong supporting running game that helps open up the slants, hitches and other safe, intermediate passes the freshman’s made a killing on to date. Colorado managed to take away the run and reaped the benefit of three interceptions.
Oklahoma Wants: The Sooners pounded Missouri into submission last year in Columbia, moving in front 16-3 in the first half and wearing out the clock with Allen Patrick and Jacob Gutierrez, who between them carried 46 times for 203 yards. Nothing spectacular – the longest OU run of the game was 15 yards, and the longest reception just 18 – but the Sooners held the ball for more than 36 minutes and never let Daniel get into a rhythm on the other side. Playing from behind, Daniel was picked off three times and Missouri’s running backs only carried seven times in the loss. Nothing is really different this time around, except that Missouri’s defense is younger and possibly less likely to stop OU with a better passer under center. Oklahoma wants to pound away with its big offensive line and go on sustained drives that effectively cut the running game out of Missouri’s offense and lessen Daniel’s chances to turn the game into a real shootout.
Constants: Everything for Missouri runs through Daniel: he’s the runner, he’s the passer, he’s the leader. He’d catch passes and block for himself if was possible. The Tigers’ fate is completely tied to his accuracy on the road ... Oklahoma’s offensive line is massive and has worn out five of the first six defenses it’s seen (with the exception of Colorado). Things are much easier for Sam Bradford when his backs are forcing the defense to focus on the run first, and still can’t do anything about it.
Variables: Missouri has an underexposed all-purpose/return guy, freshman Jeremy Maclin, who averages 15 yards every time he touches the ball (including 11 per carry on 16 runs) and has six touchdowns, two of them on punt returns. He can change a game in a couple seconds ... Ditto DeMarco Murray, who was fairly bottled up against Texas before his game-breaking 65-yard run in the fourth quarter. Allen Patrick and Chris Brown can pound, but Murray is the dimension OU lacked last year.
The Pick: The closer I look at Missouri, the more respect it commands, but the Tigers are still very much in a “prove it” position coming into this game: in light of Nebraska’s constant struggles, Mizzou’s big win is a squeaker against Illinois (compared to Oklahoma’s annhilation of Miami), and though it hasn’t slipped the way Oklahoma did at Colorado, it also hasn’t faced a defense anywhere near the Sooners’ caliber and hasn’t won a road game of any real significance in ages. I really like Daniel’s versatility and get the feeling we may be in for a hell of a show from the Tiger offense, but this is firm “believe it when you see it” territory. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
UOK_Logo.gif
</TD><TD>Oklahoma 34</TD><TD></TD><TD>Missouri 29</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>5-3 ATS, 4-2 AS A DD HOME DOG, IT'S SMQ'S DOUBLE BARRELL GOLDEN ROCK SOLID BARKING DOG OF THE WEEK!!
If it were completely logical, it wouldn't be an upset.
- - -
The Game: Oklahoma State at Nebraska
The Line: Nebraska by 3.5-4.0.
Conventional Wisdom: Oklahoma State struggles as a road team: the Cowboys are 2-10 in road games under Mike Gundy (one of the wins coming at Florida Atlantic), including 0-3 this year at Georgia, Troy and Texas A&M. Seriously struggles as a road team.
The Pick: Trends like “2-10 on the road” concern me less than trends like “allows 442 yards per game,” which is kind of generous to Nebraska’s defense, seeing that includes the paltry 185 Nevada managed in the opener; in five games since, the average is 493 and 33 points. This against Ball State and Iowa State? No, Nebraska is not Nebraska, not as we know it, and it has not stopped run or pass in any fashion in a solid month. OSU’s breakout game last year was a 41-point, 498-yard barrage against the Huskers in Stillwater, and its offensive talent carries the day here, on the road, against the fastest-sinking ship in the Big 12.
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
1222pickens.jpg
</TD><TD>Oklahoma State 36</TD><TD></TD><TD>Nebraska 27</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/7GP2QGA3kto width=285 height=225 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
Thought I’d get this in before you get too sick of it Saturday. Too late?
- - -
LSU at Kentucky
- - -
Andre Woodson is probably the best pure passing quarterback in the country at the moment, so it would be rash to suggest he’s not going to make LSU pay for aggressive blitzing a time or two Saturday. But how Kentucky has a chance to win this game, I just don’t see it. It will help if Rafael Little is healthy, because I though Florida had good success stringing drives together by mixing the run and pass in the first half last week. Kentucky’s offensive line, though, is not Florida’s by any means, and Kentucky’s defense is not even in the same stratosphere (actually, there is only one stratosphere; but Kentucky and Florida’s defenses are on the opposite ends of it). Woodson may make a few plays early, before the pocket begins to consistently collapse on him, but rest assured, a la South Carolina last week, it will collapse. In the meantime, LSU is developing an identity as a power running team, an identity it solidified in the second half against Florida last week, and Kentucky doesn’t have the manpower defensively to hold the Tigers down if they commit to the run. The only way LSU is in trouble here is in the case of a possible letdown or exhaustion or, more likely, if <STRIKE>Jimbo Fisher</STRIKE> Gary Crowton plays around with his toys without any kind of focus for too long (mind warp. Now I know how Lou Holth feels). All of those scenarios seem less likely than a physical beatdown. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
LSU_logo.bmp
</TD><TD>LSU 31</TD><TD></TD><TD>Kentucky 18</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Texas A&M at Texas Tech
- - -
In evenly matched games like this one, I’ll be honest: I have no trouble making a thoroughly biased pick for arbitrary reasons such as ‘likability.’ It’s not that it’s difficult to justify Texas Tech over A&M: the Raiders have been a much better team in Big 12 play in Lubbock, are rolling up ungodly passing stats, and frankly have owned the Aggies in Mike Leach’s tenure; Leach’s teams have won five of the last six against TAMU (the one loss in overtime in 2004) and are 3-0 at home by an average margin of four touchdowns. Nobody who watched A&M try to cover a dramatically more pedestrian controlled passing game at Miami could defend its defense against the Raiders’ well-oiled point machine. All of that is true. But the first thing I think of in this game? I adore Mike Leach, and I detest Dennis Franchione. Get well soon, Mike! <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
CLG10950_sm.jpg
</TD><TD>Texas Tech 44</TD><TD></TD><TD>Texas A&M 31</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Auburn at Arkansas
- - -
Argh. This is one I had figured out and locked down as much as any competitive game can be for the Razorbacks, even after their back-to-back stumbles against Alabama and Kentucky, largely due to Auburn’s South Florida-Mississippi State QB meltdown. Brandon Cox has done everything right since to destroy that certainty. And as tempting as it is to reduce this to McFadden/Jones vs. Cox, I have less faith now in Arkansas’ run defense to put the game on the quarterback, and Cox has always been at his best when the running game opens up play-action downfield. Alabama and Kentucky both took it to the Razorbacks’ front seven, and Auburn is good enough and on enough of a roll to pound out a win in the same fashion, attempting to hold the ball and contain big plays with its very good defense on the other side. Casey Dick isn’t doing Arkansas any favors. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
Logo%20-%20Auburn.jpg
</TD><TD>Auburn 22</TD><TD></TD><TD>Arkansas 18</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Wisconsin at Penn State
- - -
There isn’t much good to say about either of these teams at the moment, and what there is, it amounts to a strength-on-strength scenario: Wisconsin can still run the ball, Penn State can still stop the run. Wisconsin most definitely cannot stop anyone right now, having allowed ghastly averages in consecutive weeks to Javon Ringer and Rashard Mendenhall, and neither senior quarterback is very fearsome; Anthony Morelli has thrown five picks in his last two games and Tyler donovan has thrown four. These are old school offenses, and success is a matter almost exclusively who can get going more quickly and keep going more consistently, P.J. Hill or Rodney Kinlaw. Kinlaw had a career game against Iowa, but the Hawkeyes are a certifiably terrible, lame duck outfit at the moment. Hill has steadily rolled against a string of iffy defenses his own self. Penn State is a completely different sort of offense, but if its offensive line does to Wisconsin what Michigan State’s and Illinois’ have the last two weeks, the Lions should run the ball and win. There’s no quick fix for that kind of generosity.
I have zero confidence in this prediction. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_Logo.jpg
</TD><TD>Penn State 20</TD><TD></TD><TD>Wisconsin 17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Colorado at Kansas State
- - -
Something’s gotten into Colorado the last three weeks, and it would be easy to say, “Yeah, Miami Ohio and Baylor” if those games didn’t sandwich a solid win over what was and is by all appearances one of the best four or five teams in the country. For what it was, the CU offense has exploded: the Buffs were a complete wreck with the ball last year and opened up the first three games this year averaging just 271 with 20 points combined in losses to Arizona State and Florida State. And suddenly – whoosh! – the running game is clicking, three games straight, dominating time of possession, and Cody Hawkins is chipping in with 274 per over the last four. The defense was called into question last week by giving up 410 passing to Baylor, but that was against 60 passes and followed three sensational efforts prior to that against Florida State, Miami (Ohio) and Oklahoma. Kansas State has been generally good, but average by comparison, especially given the Cats’ defensive problems last week and their consistent failure to establish a running game on offense – Colorado is playing as well right now as any team in the Big 12, and perfectly positioned to make me look like an idiot for noticing. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
Colorado%20Logo.gif
</TD><TD>Colorado 28</TD><TD></TD><TD>Kansas State 20</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Purdue at Michigan
- - -
Purdue’s offense was all the rage, again, until it rolled up into a little ball against a real defense, again, and now it cannot get the benefit of the doubt at Michigan. The Wolverines seemed to have solved their most pressing problems with a nice combination of personnel changes and more conservative offenses with immobile quarterbacks. Purdue is not conservative, but Curtis Painter is not very mobile, and the Boilers’ defense has no hope of stopping Mike Hart, at any rate. This score might look close if Michigan just rides Hart on into oblivion, but it probably doesn’t have to be. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
150px-Michigan_BlockM.jpg
</TD><TD>Michigan 23</TD><TD></TD><TD>Purdue 13</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Connecticut at Virginia
- - -
For an undefeated team in mid-October, we know nothing about UConn, nothing at all, except that it’s played great statistically great defense (4th nationally in total and scoring) and probably should have lost to Temple. There’s not much to recommend the Huskies offensively, and even less, actually, to recommend Virginia when it has the ball. Whatever cachet accompanies the Cavaliers’ win over Georgia Tech is negated by its horror show performance at Wyoming and too-close-for-comfort wins over North Carolina and Middle Tennessee State, by two points apiece. UVA’s offense seems to rely very much on the talents of Cedric Peerman, who rattled off four straight big games in wins before going down last week and taking the rest of the Cavs’ production with him. If Peerman plays, I go with Virginia. But it looks like he’s not playing so I go in the most tentative sense possible with UConn. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
UConn_logo.jpg
</TD><TD>Connecticut 21</TD><TD></TD><TD>Virginia 18</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Georgia Tech at Miami
- - -
The Jackets are all but mathematically eliminated from the ACC Coastal race after three losses in four games and can take care of the math by going ahead and getting squashed in the OB. I mean, they could do that, but here we run into one of those dread “feeling” games, which in this case is a nod to the refusal of Chan Gailey Equilibrium to go down without a fight. Tech has taken two in a row over the Canes, including a defensive slog over a Kyle Wright-led offense in Miami in 2005, and Tech has maintained the one element of its success that we know can rattle Wright: pressure. Tech is second nationally in sacks and first in tackles for loss. Some of that has to do with planting Notre Dame way back when, of course, but few defenses keep the pressure on like Jon Tenuta’s, and few quarterbacks respond as poorly in those conditions as Wright. Well, that’s not true, actually, lots of quarterbacks respond poorly under pressure, including Taylor Bennett, who has been sacked more times this season than any other quarterback in the country. But Wright seems to define the category, along with fellow fifth-year senior Brandon Cox. Tech leads the ACC in rushing and needs to establish Tashard Choice to protect Bennett. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
gtcm2.jpg
</TD><TD>Georgia Tech 21</TD><TD></TD><TD>Miami 16</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
b11bedf7-09f7-427d-a77a-597fa51114ff.jpg

Someday your draft will come.
- - -
Louisville at Cincinnati
- - -
It would have been inconceivable a month ago that things could have changed so radically by midseason that UL would be a double-digit underdog against Cincinnati, but here we are. And the Cardinals still can’t cover anybody. I feel very badly for Brian Brohm, who will be picked off here. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
C-paw.gif
</TD><TD>Cincinnati 32</TD><TD></TD><TD>Louisville 28</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tennessee at Mississippi State
- - -
MSU should play defense well enough to keep itself in this game well into the second half, but eventually its lo-fi, one-dimensional offense will be the Bulldogs’ doom. If Tennessee actually found something sustainable last week, it’s lights out. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
Tennessee_volunteers_thumb.jpg
</TD><TD>Tennessee 27</TD><TD></TD><TD>Mississippi State 13</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Washington at Arizona State
- - -
I toyed with the upset possibilities here, as one must where Jake Locker is concerned, but I’m not willing to pull the trigger: for one, I was dead wrong trying to catch the Devils sleeping against Oregon State three weeks ago, and ASU is still doing everything well - the Devils have succeeded running, passing and across the board defensively. The close win last week might scare a few people into running with U-Dub, but I still count the Huskies too one-dimensional until Locker develops into a reliable passer (he’s 104th in efficiency) to pull this off on the road. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
team-logo-asu.gif
</TD><TD>Arizona State 30</TD><TD></TD><TD>Washington 21</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Georgia at Vanderbilt
- - -
The ol’ vengeance game, aka the “Stop Our Season From Spiraling Out of Control After a Shocking Blowout Loss” game. Vanderbilt, 3-2 record and projections of competence notwithstanding, is still the team for that; Vandy’s three wins are against Richmond, Ole Miss and Eastern Michigan. Alabama and Auburn trounced the Commodores like, well, like they’re the Commodores. Georgia needs this and shouldn’t be complacent. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
Georgia-logo4.gif
</TD><TD>Georgia 27</TD><TD></TD><TD>Vanderbilt 12</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Indiana at Michigan State
- - -
Indiana is playing well offensively, but was severely gashed on the ground in its only loss, to Illinois. I promise, if MSU will give the ball to Javon Ringer, it will win: kid’s averaging double digit carries two weeks in a row as a starter, but only has 22 carries combined in losses to Wisconsin and Northwestern as coaches go to the air and to short-yardage battering ram/genocide survivor Jehuu Caulcrick.. Give Javon the ball! Indiana can’t stop him. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
spartans_logo.gif
</TD><TD>Michigan State 36</TD><TD></TD><TD>Indiana 28</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Boston College at Notre Dame
- - -
For reasons articulated earlier in the week, I don’t think Notre Dame’s win at UCLA tells us the first thing about an Irish resurgence or anything like it, and the secondary is poised to be bombed by one of the hottest quarterbacks in the country. Boston College might be beginning to look at its schedule and develop mythical championship ambitions, which is premature, but if so, it should be aiming for a large blowout here. This is not the time, place, or opponent to look vulnerable. I have sense Notre Dame will put up some fight at home. For a while. <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
boston_college.gif
</TD><TD>Boston College 33</TD><TD></TD><TD>Notre Dame 10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Don't forget to stop by tomorrow morning, Gameday-ish, for the new SMQ tradition, the natioal open thread. It went swimmingly last week, if I do say so myself – there was lots to chat and gasp and thread about, obviously – so the bar has been set. Let's see if we can raise it a few notches.

Back