Week 7 (10/10-10/14) CFB Picks and News

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Monday Morning Quarterback </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 7, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Where the Weekly Affirmation left off, the Monday Morning Quarterback picks up.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

For part one of this diary, go to the Weekly Affirmation. This is a blow-by-blow account of Saturday's college football dramas, as they happened in real time. The fun started at 9:12 in the morning, but only now are the marquee matchups flooding the networks and filling the time slots. Safe to say, the nighttime was the right time for sporting spectacles and scenarios that won't soon be forgotten.

5:15 p.m., Pacific (Seattle) time, Colorado with no letdown against Baylor, up 17-0. Good for Dan Hawkins and his kids.

5:19 p.m.: Rutgers QB Mike Teel bobbles the ball three times and Cincinnati recovers. A promising drive is abruptly halted for the Scarlet Knights.

5:28: That looked like an Ohio State touchdown, but the play deserved a review.

5:29: Cincinnati flying on defense against Rutgers.

5:30: Tim Tebow with an 11-yard strike. Florida needs to establish a vertical passing game against LSU.

5:32: Cincinnati misses a field goal, so both teams have provided early gifts in Piscataway.

5:33: Florida and Kestahn Moore running hard and powerfully. Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen flung the pigskin first, and then came back with the ground game. Good play sequencing from the Gator braintrust.

5:35: The stats say Tebow gained three yards. The eyes say Tebow made one helluva play to avoid a crippling sack.

5:36: That's a play Mullen should stay away from. "Tebow up the middle" is a crutch, and it also subjects the quarterback to a pounding.

5:37: Ohio State driving. Purdue has rarely if ever won this kind of game (namely, a big one), and this could get ugly very soon.

5:38: Field goal, Florida. 3-0. Your serve, Matt Flynn.

5:40: Touchdown, Ohio State.

5:41: Touchdown, Rutgers, on a pick-six. After the loss to Maryland, an early lead is huge for Greg Schiano's boys. It doesn't matter one whit that the defense produced the points.

5:43: Matt Flynn flinches. He throws a ball behind an open receiver on a quick slant, and the "deflection that causes interception" (much like "the abomination that causes desolation") gives Florida an early opportunity.

5:47: It's early in the game, but LSU's Alley Highsmith has already knocked down two Tebow passes.

5:48: LSU's defense gets a big three-and-out.

5:49: Cincy answers with a touchdown to tie Rutgers. Brian Kelly has clearly instilled some mental toughness into his team.

5:51: LSU and offensive coordinator Gary Crowton flashing some creativity via Ryan Perrilloux. A fake end-around pitch, followed by an eight-yard run and a delayed option pitch. A sign of things to come. The Tigers will run some variations of that play before the night is over.

5:54: LSU tries a power run. No dice against the Gators' front seven.

5:56: An old demon gets LSU: a bad drop by an open receiver who was about to rip off a big gain. It's amazing how certain flaws remain in the same programs over many years.

5:57: This is how bad Notre Dame's offense is: the Irish, after a turnover caused by their defense, started a drive at the UCLA 2. They ended the drive on the 9. It's 3-3 in Pasadena.

5:59: There's a wasted trick play. As the astute Gary Danielson ("astute Gary Danielson" is a redundant phrase) pointed out, the play should have involved a bubble screen or flat pass behind the wall of linemen set wide.

6:04 p.m., Pacific time: Field goals for Rutgers (up 10-7) and Ohio State (up 17-0).

6:05: Wow! USC up just 9-7 over Stanford in the third. THIS is stunning. That the Stanford touchdown came on a pick-six is really shocking. This is a BAD (not mediocre; BAD) USC passing game right now, on October 6, 2007.

6:07: Fred Davis gets a first down for USC with a 3rd and 5 reception. He then fumbles, and the Cardinal recover. It's getting tense in the Coliseum.

6:09: Lost in the implosion of SC's passing game is the fact that Pete Carroll's defense is throwing a shutout and playing flawlessly.

6:10: Tebow to Harvin. A staple play gets Florida to the LSU 2.

6:11: I beat you by two seconds, Verne Lundquist (okay, maybe 1.4 seconds...). Yes, that wasn't quite the jump pass from last year, but it was still impressive and effective. 10-0, Gators. If I'm Les Miles, I need to keep Ryan Perrilloux on the field for a few snaps.

6:17: Booty gets picked again, but Stanford doesn't get points (or even a drive start in USC territory). USC's two-point lead is unsettling in an obvious sense, but it still feels weirdly safe.

6:19: Interception, USC. LSU converts 3rd and 2 to get to the Florida 39. Flynn completes another pass to the Gator 27.

6:22: LSU playing pitch and catch with relative ease.

6:23: On 3rd and 2 from his own 37, Booty uses play action to hit Fred Davis on a downfield pass, and the tight end shrugs off an undersized Stanford defender to take it the distance. 16-7, USC.

6:24: Flynn converts a big 3rd and 8 on a perfectly executed wide receiver screen.

6:25: Florida's Jermaine Cunningham somehow disrupts Perrilloux's 3rd and goal pass. The Tigers will go for it from the 1.

6:28: USC has outgained Stanford, 379-73. And the Trojans lead by only nine?

6:30: Perrilloux walks in for the touchdown. Good play selection by Gary Crowton.

6:31: Just when Stanford seemed likely to go away, the Cardinal hit a bomb to the USC 2.

6:36: Touchdown, Stanford. Touchdown, Missouri (7-0 over Nebraska early on). Tebow leads the Gators downfield again.

6:37: Oklahoma State 17, Texas A&M 0, early in the third quarter. Bye-bye, Fran.

6:41: Tebow made a huge glove save there. Almost a 16-yard loss if that bad snap isn't caught. Almost. Instead, first and goal for Florida.

6:43: USC converts a 3rd and 1 just past midfield in a 16-14 game.

6:44: Touchdown, USC. Booty to Ronald Johnson for 45 yards. Trojans up by nine again, 23-14.

6:46: On 3rd and goal from the 9 (not the 3, but the 9), Tebow positively floats into the end zone. Lundquist started saying "touchdown" when No. 15 crossed the 5. Know what's really scary? I couldn't fault Verne for being premature.

6:52: Florida's soft coverage enables LSU to move the ball easily in a two-minute (offense) framework. The combo of an insufficient pass rush and a suspect secondary is Florida's biggest pair of weak spots. (Tebow will mask most, if not all, offensive shortcomings.)

6:54: Stanford kicks a field goal, but USC jumps offside. First down, Cardinal. USC jumps offside again. SC is injured, but there's precious little excuse for the kinds of mistakes the Trojans are making right now.

6:56: After Florida gets a little pressure and cranks up the defensive intensity, Colt David biffs a field goal, enabling the Gators to head to the locker room with a 17-7 lead.

6:59: USC holds. Stanford still gets the field goal after all, but two minutes fall off the clock.

7:05: Patrick Turner gets four yards for USC on a huge 3rd and 3. Four and a half minutes left in L.A.

7:06: Stanford gets a sack to force a 2nd and 19.

7:07: A screen to Chauncey Washington is smothered. 3rd and 19.

7:08: INTERCEPTION, STANFORD! Ball on the USC 45 with 2:50 left. Buckle up.

7:09: Jim Harbaugh goes for the whole enchilada without hesitation. SC drops a pick in the end zone.

7:10: Pass interference on USC. Good call. Ball on the Trojan 30.

7:11: What should have been an eight-yard loss on a busted halfback option pass becomes a four-yard gain. USC playing nervous football and basically feeling the heat. An injury on the field creates a break in the action.

7:13: Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard scrambles for a first down to the USC 19.

7:14: Incomplete pass--broken up on the left sideline.

7:15: Holding, Stanford, at the worst possible moment.

7:16: USC finally gets a little pressure from a corner blitz. Incomplete pass. 3rd and 20.

7:17: The Stanford receiver stepped out of bounds on his own power before coming back in bounds. Incomplete pass, proper ruling.

7:18: FIRST DOWN, STANFORD! The Cardinal convert a 4th and 20, as SC still can't get to Pritchard.

7:20: They're reviewing the play to determine the spot. The ball should be on the nine and a half yard line. I don't know if that should produce a first down or not...

7:22: The play (in other words, the spot) stands. First down. I can accept the spot.

7:23: I love Jim Harbaugh's thought process. A run to the 5. Run at least some clock. Decide the game here. Don't give Booty a real shot if you score.

7:25: Incomplete, back of the end zone.

7:26: Incomplete, corner of the end zone. 4th and ballgame from the 5.

7:27: Timeout, Stanford. 54 ticks left. This needs to be a rollout with Pritchard, or perhaps the Statue of Liberty or some other Boise State special. Here we go...

7:28: Wait. Timeout, USC. No timeouts for Troy if Stanford scores.

7:29: TWELVE IN THE HUDDLE FOR STANFORD. Wow! Now from the 10. A run-pass option just went out the window.

7:30: HE CAUGHT IT! Nothing but a simple jump ball, and Stanford's Mark Bradford beat USC's Mozique McCurtis for the score, with 49 seconds left.

7:31: PAT good. Stanford by one. The biggest upset ever? Very possibly so if the Cardinal can hang on.

7:32: Harbaugh on the sideline: "Let's finish it! Let's finish it! Let's finish it!"

7:33: Personal foul face mask on Stanford to give SC a drive start at its own 41.

7:34: Sack! Remember, no timeouts for SC. Ball spiked with 27 seconds left.

7:35: Turner was wide open, but the pass clangs off his hands. 4th and 17.

7:36: No, it's not a dream. Lil' ol' Stanford 24, USC 23. Final. Words are my stock and trade, but they're not coming.

7:41: Tiger Stadium--in response to the announcement of USC's loss--has another Tommy Hodson "earthquake" moment, nearly 19 years to the day after the original event. What a sight (and what a sound!) for anyone lucky enough to have a seat in the house.

7:45: The earthquake moment quickly fades, as Tebow rocks LSU with an easy touchdown pass. 24-14, Gators. (Oh yeah, that's right--LSU scored a touchdown while I followed the amazing turn of events in Los Angeles.)

7:47: They'll call this "Black Saturday" in Los Angeles. UCLA is handing Notre Dame turnovers, points, and Charlie Weis' first win of 2007. The City of Angels doesn't mind the lack of an NFL team, but that's because the college ball has been pretty good. Today, though, might change things. A note about Karl Dorrell: given that the Bruins really wanted to avenge last year's devastating loss in South Bend, a loss to a horrible Notre Dame team is a particularly damning indictment of the UCLA program.

7:52: Florida and Jermaine Cunningham pressure Flynn again, and an LSU drive is halted. Sometimes, football isn't very complicated.

7:55: Kestahn Moore is powering through LSU's defense, but while the skill people get the accolades, it's Florida's offensive line that's going above and WAY beyond the call tonight.

7:57: Cincinnati, once down 17-7, scores a touchdown to take a 21-20 lead in New Jersey.

8:00 p.m., Pacific time: Florida fumbles and Rutgers gets intercepted.

8:01: Touchdown, Cincinnati, on a bomb. 28-20, Bearcats.

8:04: After a flurry of momentous events, a brief breather and some channel surfing reveal that A&M has taken a late 24-23 lead over Oklahoma State. Franchione might not leave the Ranchione just yet...

8:08: Oklahoma State roughs the Aggie punter with 1:46 left. (Insert your choice of Franchione or Mike Gundy reference here; plenty of material to work with.)

8:09: UCLA with another turnover. Oh, the carnage in L.A. tonight.

8:10: Get this: after Florida's increasingly confident and physical defense stopped LSU at the Gator 20, the Tigers--with Florida not rushing the field goal (LSU's kinda good at this fake field goal thing...)--commit a holding penalty. What's even more amazing is that Colt David missed the un-attacked kick. Gators still lead by ten.

8:13: For the second time in the past 20 minutes of real time, Florida bails LSU out of jail. A poorly designed route and the turn of Cornelius Ingram's head produce an interception inside the Gator 30.

8:16: Joe Haden makes a monster tackle to stuff a 3rd and 1 from the Florida 2. 4th and 3 from the 4.

8:17: Flynn, on a must-make play, calmly throws a strike for a vital touchdown. Game on. The hitting in this game has been sensational, with Florida dealing out most of the punishment. LSU is playing poorly but fighting quite admirably. The Gators have to be very irritated after giving the Tigers nine lives (and then some).

8:24: Brandon James was out of bounds at the 14. Why is Les Miles challenging? Talk about high risk, low reward.

8:26: Cincinnati pounds out a 3rd and 1 at midfield, leading (now) 28-23 with 7:30 left.

8:27: Just when Bearcat quarterback Ben Mauk looked like Tebow Lite, he fumbled at the Rutgers 37. The Scarlet Knights get saved.

8:28: How is there no flag against LSU on that 3rd and 4? Wow.

8:31: Cincy's defense forces a Rutgers punt with 4:52 left on the banks of the old Raritan.

8:32: Touchback on the Rutgers punt.

8:33: Offensive pass interference puts LSU in a hole.

8:34: 4th and 1. LSU going for it near midfield.

8:35: Wow. Jacob Hester with a late, late (did I say late?) surge to get the first down. The play was initially stuffed, but Hester got the first down through sheer will.

8:37: Lots of mistakes tonight, but the effort of both Florida and LSU has been extraordinary. More great hitting, chasing, reacting and gaming from all involved.

8:39: Notre Dame wins. It's official: Black Saturday in L.A.

8:41: Gary Danielson, after Joe Haden stops a 3rd and 1: "He's only a freshman."

8:42: Les Miles knows no fear. LSU gets a ballsy first down by inches. Danielson marvels at the quality of competition. I fully agree.

8:43. Incomplete. 2nd and goal for LSU at the 5.

8:44: Three yards. Third and goal at the two and a half yard line. A buck-fifteen left and counting. Urban Meyer with a timeout. What a ferocious football fistfight.

8:45: Oh, there's this modestly interesting game in New Jersey. Rutgers, down by five, has a first down at the Cincinnati 24 with 1:44 left.

8:46: Touchdown, LSU. Cincy picks off Rutgers in the red zone. Jacob Hester is the last player to get up after scoring for the Tigers. That lad spilled his guts tonight. He'll be the toast of Baton Rouge if the Tigers can hold on in the final 1:09.

8:50: Cincy gets a first down, and it's all over in Piscataway.

8:52: Tebow taking way too much time. If you don't throw beyond the sticks, you're basically wanting to fail in a two-minute drill.

8:54: Tebow scrambles for a first down at midfield.

8:55: Timeout, Florida. Either a Hail Mary or a Boise State play.

8:56: One chance left. LSU on the verge of being No. 1 with no comparable contenders.

8:59: The final play: batted down in the back of the end zone. The Gators are crushed, the Tigers exultant. The vivid emotional portraits tell you how badly these two teams hungered for ultimate victory. Many games will involve more artistry, but none have witnessed more effort than this 15-round heavyweight bout. Florida-LSU 2007 reminds us why college football is the best sport on the planet.

9:10 p.m., Pacific time: Time to write a cartload of Instant Analysis pieces. A postscript will follow...

12:23 a.m., Pacific time, Sunday morning: the last Instant Analysis piece gets filed. (Games assessed under the Instant Analysis banner: Florida-LSU, Stanford-USC, Oklahoma-Texas, Cincy-Rutgers, Ohio State-Purdue, Virginia Tech-Clemson, Nebraska-Missouri.)

5:02 p.m, Pacific time, Sunday afternoon: here's a postscript after this experiment with a running diary of a whole day of college football:

One diary on one day will not be enough to tell you all you need to know about the thought process of a sports journalist. However, it can (and should) provide important insights into the deeper mechanics of this job. One aspect of college football writing that should stand out for you, as readers of this column (and CFN in general), is that the columnist watches tons of games and countless snaps over the course of twelve to thirteen frenzied hours. Thousands of individual insights will be made, and hundreds of mental notes will be jotted down on paper or registered in the brain.

What does this mean? It means that a national college football columnist is way too busy on Saturday to make judgments that reflect a rooting interest or an entrenched bias. Any sports fan remains a fan, even when becoming a sportswriter. You don't write about sports if you don't love sports. With that said, though, the business of writing something honest, lucid and informative is too demanding for me or any of my colleagues to get caught up in petty politics or teenage passions. As people who must watch sports in a professional manner, sportswriters quickly learn to see games through the prism of how they'll write their story. The very nature of the sports journalism business--at least on a national level, divorced from local markets, local teams, and intimate communal rooting interests--makes it virtually impossible for a national columnist to nakedly display juvenile tendencies or excessive (read: institutional) biases. And if a national columnist does reveal these manifest flaws? He (she) will be out of a job, pronto.

When I'm wearing out my remote, and when my neck is getting sore from all the rotations my head is doing to follow three monitors as closely as possible, the plays are coming at me fast and furious. When I switch to another game, I have to immediately process the new scenario in the new game on the new channel I've just turned to. The job of national college football writing--for those of us who watch a bunch of screens and are not assigned to cover individual games--involves making judgment after judgment on play after play over the course of at least 12 hours on Saturdays. One play blurs into another, and when you accumulate a few years in this line of work, there will be many times when--as fun as this gig is--sportswriting can be a hard, long slog.

Love of the sport brings a sportswriter into the arena, but a love of journalism and the craft of sportswriting are what enable the journalist to stay in the fight over the long run. Having a rooting interest connects us to sports in our early years, but when you become an adult, the desire to produce good work--work that makes you sleep well at night, safe in the knowledge that you're doing something meaningful, and doing it well--becomes the driving force in your life. When I sit behind a keyboard or when I watch a stack of games, I want to write Instant Analysis pieces that are fair. I want to write reports that are worthy of the games I cover.

As you can tell from this week's Instant Analysis pieces, I save my best writing for the biggest and most memorable games; the blowouts receive clean, but very brief, treatment. For example, it would have been inappropriate for me to have written too much about a Nebraska-Missouri game that, due to the USC and LSU dramas, I didn't get to see. The fluctuations, twists and turns of a football Saturday take the national college football writer in different and unexpected directions. Following the flow of urgent action--what's significant, what's close, what's late--is the top demand for the national college football journalist.

When you realize how long this diary was (despite the brief and very clipped nature of almost all of the individual entries), it should dawn on you how much professionalism a national football writer must devote to the craft on a weekly basis. Just imagine doing a running diary every Saturday--wait a minute, we DO compile these diaries every Saturday! It's just that we leave a lot of material on the cutting room floor or stuck in the notebook. We don't publish every single thought, just the particularly salient ones, and we polish our insights from the time we go to bed early Sunday morning to the time we crank out our feature columns on Sunday night or Monday morning. Conducting a full (or at least substantial) survey of the larger college football landscape is an arduous enough task for one weekend; when you do it from Labor Day weekend through early December, and then on New Year's Day, there's just too much responsibility involved for a writer to indulge his (her) childhood memories, school allegiances, or regionally-influenced perspectives. And even if we did, well, we wouldn't have any credibility in this business to begin with.

As this week's column comes to a close, consider this: other than God, the last person this sportswriter wants to disappoint is Grantland Rice, not the Arizona State Sun Devil fans I grew up with in Phoenix, or the Washington Husky fans who live near me in Seattle. Paradoxically, though, that's precisely why those fans--and all college football fans throughout America--should be able to trust me, my CFN colleagues, and my fellow college football writers.

Blue Chip--Don't take the result of one game as a truism. Ohio St would have played Florida close 8 out of 10 times. The other 2? Florida blows out Ohio St and Ohio St blows out Florida.

Mags--Thanks, man. Couple I feel a little nervous about but I should be on the right side of any line moves so I can sell off later.

I call the company "The Rat" but this echoes my sentiments about ABC/ESPN's CFB coverage and why I must have GamePlan to exist:

I H8 the Mouse

It is bad enough that ABC/ESPN demonstrates tremendous commitment to showing every Big Ten game in their grubby little hands to the entire country while games like Cal-Oregon and Texas-Oklahoma are regionalized. It's worse that ABC blue-balled its audience in the Southeast by cutting to the Red River [Insert term connoting a battle that will pass muster with anti-violence 527s] when the Florida State-N.C. State borefest was stopped by lightning and then promptly switched back with two minutes to go and Texas about to embark on a potentially game-tying drive. I would think that ABC should cut away to a dramatic conclusion of a rivalry game even absent a weather delay. The fact that they chose to pull viewers out of that exciting game right as it was reaching its denouement is borderline criminal.

Les Miles was right about the Pac10

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME style="OVERFLOW: hidden" marginWidth=0 frameSpacing=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ad.adsandads.net/imp?w=300&h=250" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 tagged="true" visible="false"></IFRAME>
Prior to the 2007 football season, LSU football coach Les Miles put the rest of the country on notice as to the state of football in the Pac10 conference.
"They're going to play real knockdown, drag-outs with UCLA and Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford - some real juggernauts," Miles said of the Trojans.​
The country took Miles comments as a snide remark on the recent divide between USC and the rest of the Pac10 conference (as Miles intended). Miles was ripped by pundits across the country.
But... six weeks into the season, it appears that Les Miles was right all along. And he has his close friend, USC coach Pete Carroll, to thank for proving him right.
You see, it's not USC and the Little 9, as many believed, because the Trojans are single-handily making giants of their Pac10 conference foes.
On September 29th, USC showed that Washington - the team that finished 9th in the Pac10 last year - was a giant-killer in waiting. Penalized 16 times and turning the ball over three times, Southern Cal needed to successfully field an onside kick to hold off an upset bid by the Huskies.
"Oh, it was a terrible night. Horrible night," USC coach Carroll said, already looking ahead to next weekend's home game against Stanford. "It's how we respond now." "We were very fortunate," the coach added, sighing over the close call despite a 460-190 edge in total yards. "We just couldn't get out of our own way. Washington, it was there to take it.
"I'm so grateful to have this win," Carroll said.
And then on Saturday night, more evidence that Les Miles knows more about the Pac10 than anyone else in the country, as juggernaut Stanford beat Southern Cal 24-23 at home, snapping the Trojans 35-game home winning streak.
"Jimmy had them ready to play," USC coach Pete Carroll said. "To give it up like this is a shame, it is crushing to me. Give credit to Stanford. They did a heck of a job and we made a ton of mistakes. We need to find ways to make plays and go back and find the right combinations. "I never thought we'd lose tonight, even after they scored."
Stanford pulled off the biggest upset in college football history - winning as a 41 point underdog. Bigger than App State over Michigan this year.... Bigger than Temple over VaTech in 1998.... Maybe even bigger than Centre over Harvard in 1921. (None of those teams were 41-point underdogs, by the way.)
The Trojans were booed off the field at halftime, but the stunned crowed barely made a peep at the final whistle. Even the announcers botched the call on Stanford's winning score. It seemed no one could believe it.
No one except Les Miles

Morning Coffee Is Salivating For Aggie Sanctimony

by HornsFan Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 06:52:17 AM EDT

<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
vickem.bmp
hornbullet.gif
Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News points out that Texas has left the Red River Shootout with two losses before under Mack Brown (2000 and 2003). Each time, Texas won out to finish the season.
I'd certainly like to see that, of course, and it's worth noting that Texas technically isn't totally eliminated from winning the Big 12 South (though they need a lot of help). I do hope, though, that a bulk of the effort in 2007 is spent grooming this team for 2008 and '09. That means sitting players like Brandon Foster, Robert Killebrew, Scott Derry, and Erick Jackson. That means figuring out how you plan to use John Chiles. That means figuring out what you want to do with your running game.
Texas best players at its weakest positions are underclassmen. Time to take off the training wheels.
hornbullet.gif
If you missed it over in the Diaries, Texas Tech students have created an interesting t-shirt for wear during A&M's visit to Lubbock next Saturday.
You could argue that this goes beyond the pale of acceptable taunting, but I must admit I'm rather looking forward to the Aggie meltdown over the shirt. That? Will be funny.
hornbullet.gif
Also noted in the diaries: former Longhorn safety Tyrell Gatewood was arrested again on misdemeanor drug charges. Gatewood was suspended from the team indefinitely on September 13th.
hornbullet.gif
Amazingly, Texas extended its stay in the AP Top 25 to 115 weeks. I do think we're one of the best 25 teams in the country, but we certainly don't have many pelts on our wall right now. Fortunately for Texas, this season's been straight chaotic. It's been hard to find 25 teams to rank, period.
hornbullet.gif
I got a tip from a reader who wondered why Team USA Softball wasn't on the Longhorns' schedule this year. In 2004, the Longhorns were embarrassed 21-0 by the national squad, though Texas' top two pitchers were unavailable for the game. Still, given Cat Osterman's ties to the university, I know there are a lot of softball fans in Austin - not to mention Cat herself - who would love to see this game happen.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - Is USC Really Out Of The Chase? </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
483065.jpg

Stanford WR Mark Bradford
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 8, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

Is USC really out of the national title hunt now? Who's lingering back in the championship chase? From he LSU player who makes things go, to the Cincinnati quarterback who's turning things around, here are the latest 5 Thoughts.

Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5

It's Stanford. At Home. You Don't.
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Remember this week. Remember how you feel right now. Remember how you felt when you saw an awful Stanford team beat USC. Remember how, all of a sudden, you realize just how average the Trojans looked against everyone but Nebraska.

Sorry Trojans, but unless something epic happens, you’re out.

Beat Cal by 30 in Berkeley? Stanford 24, USC 23.

Thump Oregon by 27 in Autzen? Stanford 24, USC 23.

Light up Arizona State like a Christmas tree in Tempe? Stanford 24, USC 23.

You could make a case that if USC ends up running the rest of the table, the four road wins at Nebraska, Oregon, California and Arizona State, along with a date at Notre Dame, and wins over Oregon State and UCLA, would give it the most impressive one-loss résumé of anyone.

Stanford 24, USC 23.

No, you don’t lose to Stanford at home and still get a shot to stay in the national title hunt. Yes, this was worse than Oklahoma losing at Colorado. Yes, this was worse than Wisconsin losing at Illinois, West Virginia losing at South Florida, and any other defeat you can name by any of the top 25ers currently with one loss. You go to the back of the line after a loss like this, and no, your brand name, even if you do beat everyone else like a drum, doesn’t automatically get you a free pass at the end of the year.

Remember how lifeless the win over Idaho was. Remember how close Washington came to finishing the comeback. Remember how the defense couldn’t stop STANFORD when all the chips were on the table.

USC doesn't have to win to get into any title discussion, it has to go on a tear never before seen, and this team doesn't appear capable of doing it. Right now it’s just another very, very good team that just so happens to have more talent than anyone else.

Patching Together a Huge SeasonBy Richard Cirminiello[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT]. When the movie about the life of Brett Favre goes into production, the filmmakers might want to consider casting current Cincinnati QB Ben Mauk in the lead role. Mauk will probably never play a down in the NFL, and is certainly not the second coming of the future Hall-of-Famer. He just plays the game as if he's always channeling Favre, playing with a bum shoulder, challenging defensive linemen, scrambling in one direction before heaving a pass clear across his body, and just generally being an inspirational catalyst for the Bearcat offense. On Saturday night, Mauk forced a few ill-advised passes where they didn't belong, but also forced his will on the Rutgers defense, going 20-of-37 for 257 yards and three touchdowns, while scrambling for 29 yards and occasionally jawing with some of the larger Scarlet Knights defenders. More important than box score numbers, his moxie and determination have rubbed off on a young team that entered this season with minimal veteran leadership on the offensive side of the ball. Mauk has excelled in his new role, helping pilot Cincy to its first 6-0 start in more than half a century and multiple weeks in the Top 25. It's not a role that’ll land the Wake Forest transfer an Oscar or a star on the Walk of Fame, but don't tell the rookie head coach. Brian Kelly knows he has something special in Mauk, a senior leader that's bubbling over with intangibles. The Number of That LSU Mack Truck[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]

3. #18. It might be a quirky coaching thing, maybe it has some strategy involved, but if you’re the Man, a stud, a “playa”, they refer to you by number. Les Miles did it last night on ESPN. If you watched the LSU-Florida game, you saw #18; Verne Lundquist told you his name was Jacob Hester, but he’s reached “call him by his number” status this morning. And, it stuck up on me, like it did for the rest of you.

Before the Mississippi State opener, we spoke with an LSU insider and asked how good Keiland Williams was going to be this year. We didn’t get those words out of our mouths before he told us this coaching staff really loves Jacob Hester. Still, we didn’t believe. The day before the Virginia Tech game, we interviewed running backs coach Larry Porter and asked him when we were going to see more of Williams and Charles Scott. Porter continued to praise Hester. Man, we thought, does this coaching staff just not get it?
Well, after watching the former Evangel star pound 23 times for 106 yards against a tough, physical Florida defense, picking up key fourth downs all night long, maybe it was the rest of us that weren’t getting it. Hester is as tough between the tackles as any running back in the nation and when it’s gotten difficult for the Tigers this year, offensive coordinator Gary Crowton has turned to Hester to bail them out. The other skill players might be fancier and prettier, but it’s plain to see that Hester is the Man. I mean #18.
At Least They're Not Going To Play Florida
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak

[/FONT]. You fell for them. You had the 2006 season tied up in a nice, neat little bow. Ohio State was the best team, number one from pillar to post, Troy Smith was the best player, the offense was unstoppable, and the season was set for the history books. And then came the epic blasting by Florida in the BCS Championship game to make everyone feel like chumps for buying so heavily into the Buckeyes.

I know, I know, like you, I tried to tell everyone about the team's flaws, and I thought the Gator Defense was going to stuff the Buckeye attack, but I, like you, picked Ohio State to win. The team appeared to be just too good.

Fast forward to the start of this season, when everyone wanted nothing to do with Jim Tressel's bunch after feeling so foolish. There's no way the team could replace Smith, Ted Ginn, and Anthony Gonzalez, right? Well, yeah, but there was no way the defense could replace A.J. Hawk and all the superstars off the 2005 defense, yet that didn't stop OSU from being number one throughout last year. This season, it's the reverse, with all the stars back on defense, and the offense replacing all-stars with other all-stars.

Sorry everyone, but Ohio State might just end up back in the national championship game with a better team, and you're not going to see it coming.

Fine, so Youngstown State, Akron, Washington, Northwestern and Minnesota aren't world-beaters, but neither is Stanford, and this year, wins are wins are wins. The opposing offenses haven't been Florida, Texas Tech and Hawaii, but the Wildcats, Gophers and Boilermakers have all been cranking out yards in chunks against everyone. The Buckeyes have allowed just two meaningful touchdowns all season long with the other three coming after the games have been decided. 43 points. Meanwhile, the offense is running well, the punting game is among the best in America, and the offensive line is playing even better than last year.

The remaining schedule: Kent State, Michigan State, at Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois and at Michigan. It's good enough, but it's not a total killer. In other words, a team that's national title-good should roll through this, and then hope for an LSU or California loss.

It's time to take another good, hard look at Ohio State. And then you can argue about how Florida would probably beat it like a drum.

[/SIZE]Welcome the Big Boy Table
By Matthew Zemek

What is by far the most intriguing aspect of this clinically insane 2007 season is that you're now going to see teams deal with a spotlight they've never faced before (or at least, not in a very long time, when today's players weren't even born).

Cal occupies the Pac-10 and Rose Bowl driver's seats. The Bears have a huge opportunity, but with that Golden (Bear) road comes withering pressure the likes of which Jeff Tedford's boys haven't yet experienced. How will the Berkeley bunch handle the heat?

South Florida already felt the heat against Florida Atlantic? How will the Bulls deal with a different kind of pressure, the pressure that accompanies a Bulls-eye on your back?

Boston College will have to endure life with a (6) plastered next to its name. The Eagles are now a big fat target. They don't know what it's like to be in the top six. They'll find out soon enough.

Cincinnati is rapidly climbing the ladder, too. Missouri is on the verge of the top ten. Pretty heady stuff for young teams unfamiliar with the glare of the big time.

How will all these teams respond? Rutgers and Kentucky, among others, couldn't handle the heat? Are the boys in Tampa and Cincy, Berkeley and Boston, ready to answer the bell?

Ah, this is going to be delicious. Sports are particularly enjoyable to watch when the psychological dramas become that much more magnified and pronounced. Seeing how athletes respond to pressure gives athletic competition its eternally compelling qualities. College football will give us the best and most poignant sports moments of 2007. Heck, it already has, but even better snapshots are on their way.

The "real" Auburn

The B'ham News's Charles Goldberg titled his blog post in the wake of Auburn's 35-7 blitzkrieg of Vandy "Is this the real Auburn?"

Not to get all Foucault n' Derrida n' stuff on you, but yes, the Auburn that took the field Saturday and blasted a talented Vandy team clear back to Nashville was the real Auburn. But so was the team that fell behind 10-0 and then tossed away a win with special teams and defensive line fiascoes at home vs. Miss. St. That was the real Auburn. As was the team that defeated the (accurately-rated, if you ask me) No. 4 team in the country on the road. As was the team that turned it over five times and could easily have another three times at home vs. South Florida. These are all the real Auburns.

Because this has been Auburn football at its most quintessential, ever since Tubby's first three games at the Tigers' helm in 1999 saw his team beat Appalachian St. and Idaho by a combined 14 points and then turn around and obliterate LSU 41-7 in Baton Rouge. Auburn is a world-beater on the perpetual verge of nationwide domination; Auburn is a sheep in wolf's clothing on the perpetual verge of self-immolation. Both these halves are part of Auburn football at all times; every game the Tigers have played this season has been the "real" Auburn.

The point of all this rambling? That I 100%, wholeheartedly encourage Auburn fans to enjoy Saturday's demolition to its maximum extent. I don't want to sell short 35-7 SEC wins over anyone, particularly when they occur mere weeks after a 19-14 Crooming. But the best reason to enjoy it (aside from the ammo it gives us to fling in the Tide's general direction) is because there's precisely zero guarantee good times like these are going to last any longer than the seven days between last Saturday and this Saturday, when Auburn will be favored against a talented-but-wounded Arkansas team playing for its not insubstantial pride. Auburn could win by 20. They could lose by 30. And either result will be--and feel--just as real as this week's.

Not enough time this weekend (sorry) to spit out a recap, but here's a few choice bits from the JCCW's game-time notebook:

--Welcome back, Brad Lester. Like the fried catfish at the backwoods diner you return to on a trip to your hometown years later, you're just as good as we remembered.

The best part? That Lester's return seems to have sparked a preemptive response from Ben Tate, who ran with an authori-TAY that seems damn near night-and-day difference from his adequate but uninspiring plodding vs. Kansas St. Add in that Fannin seems to having tough-actin' Tinactin'd away that nasty rash of fumbling, and the AU tailback position finally appears to be the multi-headed, chain-moving, fear-inspiring Cerberus we expected in those halcyon days of July.

--Wes "Bad-Ass" Byrum kicked the ball out the back of the friggin' end zone from the 30. Four-year starters V****n and Bliss leave and Tubby simply replaces them with different, better four-year starters--at two of the singularly most difficult positions to recruit accurately. Unreal.

--How complete has Cox's resurgence been? He was even throwing on the run in the first half. Bring on the wing-ed pigs and Limbaugh's endorsement of Hillary '08, because clearly nothing's outside the realm of the possible now. That TD toss to Smith where he scrambled, for, like, longer than all his scrambles from 2006 combined? Swear on everything holy, right after that happens, I turn on the radio, and it's the Pope, and he's like "You know what? I was out at this bar last night and yeah, I'd had a few, and I get to talking to this girl and I guess she's pretty cute and all, and anyway, long story short, I think contraception maybe isn't such a bad idea after all." True story. (Yes, Evil Brandon resurfaced for a throw in the second half. Evil Brandon seems to surface much more often when the pressure's not on, so I'm not sweating it.)

--No one's going to accuse Robert Dunn of being "that fundamentally sound guy with the flypaper hands," so at least give him credit for so quickly developing a niche as "that guy who's skinnier than a tomato stake and still somehow breaks more tackles than video-game Jerome Bettis."

--On one hand, Vandy fans can be proud that Bobby Johnson coached like a man in the fourth quarter and went for TD's repeatedly instead of taking the coward's way out of shutout-spoilage with a field goal. On the other hand, where was that gumption when the 'Dores punted from Auburn's 35 on their opening possession? Of course it sailed into the end zone, of course the 'Dores gained a whopping 15 yards of field position out of it, and it wasn't so much "all downhill from there" as "all down the sheer side of K2 from there" for Vandy. Johnson seems like he has testicles; he shouldn't wait until the game is out of hand to apply them.

--Think it's noteworthy that not only was the Auburn D that toyed with the Vandy five-senior-returning-starters offensive line missing four starters, two of those starters were expected to be the two best players on the entire D this pre-season. The unofficial mascot of the Tiger defense must be the starfish; cut off Blackmon, and Chris Evans grows back in his place. Chop away Groves, and here's Antonio Coleman; lose Savage, and Zac Etheridge is ready to step in and play like the black Troy Polamalu. Muschamp's been phenomenal, obviously, but goodness Tubby got that cupboard so stocked it'd be a surprise if the door even closes ... assuming it was a real cupboard, I mean, and not a metaphorical cupboard filled with football players.

--Pick the preseason All-SEC third-team QB! Quarterback A: 14-17, 165 yds., 1 TD. Quarterback B: 5-16, 38 yds., 0 TD. Why, it's B, of course! I was a tad worried about Nickson karmically heating up after I nicknamed his arm "Dr. Misfire" Friday, but I think that's probably a much nicer thing to say about his arm than what I'm sure Vandy fans were saying. He was capital-B Brutal out there, and if I'm a 'Dore fan I'm seriously worried about why Nickson's improvement in the second half from last season has so entirely dissolved.

--Maybe, perhaps, I should hold off on making this kind of pronouncement. But really, I don't think it's too soon to call this no less than the greatest single class of offensive linemen ever recruited in the history of college football. (Of course, this optimism gets tempered a bit by the BOSLEY NOOOOOOOOOOOO! development, particularly if BOSLEY NOOOOOOOOOOOO! stretches into the end of the season.)

--I was remiss last week in not pointing you towards two excellent Vandy blogs out there, the Vandy Sports Line and Star and Stripe, both of which would probably have preferred I mentioned them before they had to start breaking down the wreckage of last Saturday. (For the record, as Vandy will never accept the slap-in-the-face of becoming a conference member in everything-but-football, as Will proposes, and they're too productive a member in other sports and of course on the academic front to let go, they're not going anywhere. Meaning the long tradition of the popular "Who should replace Vandy?" parlor game amongst fans of other SEC teams will continue unabated for the foreseeable future. I'm good with that.)

--If Tubby pulls even 9 wins out of this bunch--not likely, I wouldn't say, but given how winnable both ends of the Amen Corner looked last weekend, not a complete impossibility, either--it's going to make that 11-win season last year look like something L'Orgeron could have produced.

--Lastly, I was reminded of something important while watching the Lincoln broadcast: YOU ALWAYS WIN WITH DAUGHTRY.

YOU ALWAYS WIN WITH DAUGHTRY!

Franchione's contract allows swift action
Investigation continues, but deal could free A&M from buyout in wake of scandal

By TERRANCE HARRIS
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
<!-- rbox goes here -->TOOLS
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=20>Email
</TD><TD height=20>Get section feed
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=22>Print
</TD><TD>Subscribe NOW
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Comments
</TD><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> if (MCP_PLUCK) { gSiteLife.Recommend("ExternalResource",PluckItemID); } </SCRIPT>Recommend (3)

<!-- end toolbox --><!-- Airport Code (Kayak) --><!-- end Airport Code (Kayak) --><!-- begin rboxes -->RESOURCES
<!-- cannot put padding/margin around base _ this case rbox. padding/margin control is in outer edge of tree _ not base _ this breaks the structure _ see Tim with questions --><SCRIPT src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/experience_util.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>Function VBGetSwfVer(i) on error resume next Dim swControl, swVersion swVersion = 0 set swControl = CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." + CStr(i)) if (IsObject(swControl)) then swVersion = swControl.GetVariable("$version") end if VBGetSwfVer = swVersionEnd Function</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>On Error Resume NextSub flashObj_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args) Call onFSCommand(command, args)End Sub</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://images.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/swfobject.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> function bcseo(myText){ var x; x = document.getElementById('tags'); x.innerHTML = ''; x.innerHTML = myText; } </SCRIPT><OBJECT id=flashObj height=400 width=250 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

</OBJECT>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var so = new SWFObject("http://images.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/bclist.swf", "flashObj", "250", "400", "8", "#FFFFFF"); so.addParam("scale", "noscale"); so.addParam("salign", "lt"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "always"); so.addParam("allowFullScreen", "true"); so.addVariable("StageHeight", 400); so.addVariable("myWidth", 250); so.addVariable("mlu", 1155080139); so.addVariable("myLink", "http://www.chron.tv"); so.write("flashObj1"); </SCRIPT>Red River preview & predictions, colleges,fbc,Football,chronicle sports,houston,houston sports,sports,chron.com, Joseph Duarte and Richard Justice get a head start on Texas-OU weekend, breaking down the matchup before Saturday's showdown in Dallas.Anna-Megan and the Owls, ncaa,Football,chronicle sports,chron.com,annamegan,Rice university,college,houston,fbc,sports,houston sports,john mcclain,rice, Anna-Megan Raley joins Chase Clement, Jarett Dillard, Brian Raines, and Rice coach David Bailiff to talk about the 2007 season.Checking out UH's offense, fbc,houston,anna megan,chron.com,chronicle sports,houston sports,Uh,College football,sports, Anna Megan interviews Cougar wide receiver Donnie Avery and running back Anthony Alridge.Next in line: The UH QBs, fbc,college,houston sports,chronicle sports,Uh,football.,sports,houston,chron.com, Anna Megan talks to the Cougar quarterback lineup of Al Pena, Blake Joseph and Case Keenum.UH Coach Art Briles, houston,chron.com,college,Uh,chronicle sports,fbc,university of houston,houston sports,sports,Art Briles, Anna Megan interviews Coach Art Briles Anna-Megan with UH Standouts, houston,Anna-Megan,chronicle sports,ncaa,sports,chron.com,Football,mcclain,Uh,houston sports,fbc, Anna-Megan met with the entertaining threesome of Dustin Dickinson, Jeff Akeroyd, and Trent Allen at UH Media Day.Anna-Megan with Michael Murphy, Uh,chronicle sports,Football,Anna-Megan,fbc,sports,Michael Murphy,chron.com,houston,ncaa,houston sports, Anna-Megan Raley and Michael Murphy discuss UH's forthcoming football season.Big 12 media days: Oklahoma State, osu,College football,Big 12,Football,fbc,oklahoma state,Martel Van Zant,houston chronicle,Oklahoma St.,chron.com, Oklahoma State starting cornerback Martel Van Zant does his interviews with an interpreter. Van Zant, who was born deaf, said he can't hear the whistle on the field and looks to other players for cues on when plays are over.Texas A&M preseason, Texas A&M,a&m,houston chronicle,chron.com,Aggies,fbc,Terrence Harris,Big 12, Texas A&M at the Big 12 media days in San AntonioMusings on the Big 12, chron.com,Joseph Duarte,fbc,houston chronicle,san antonio express-news,Big 12, Joseph Duarte checks in with another Texas reporter, Tim Griffin of the San Antonio Express-News, for some thoughts on how the season might play out.The lighter side of Big 12 football, Texas A&M,fbc,Big 12,houston chronicle,a&m,chron.com,Texas Tech,Red Raiders,Aggies,Stephen McGee,Mike Leach, A&M quarterback Stephen McGee and Tech coach Mike Leach say there's danger at every turn out there, both on and off the field.Update on Houston-area players, nebraska,Terrence Nunn,College football,Cornhuskers,Cy Falls,fbc,Joseph Duarte,Big 12, Joseph Duarte interviews Big 12 players in San Antonio.Big 12 football, Big 12,chron.com,Football,College football,houston chronicle,Joseph Duarte,fbc, Joseph Duarte visits with Big 12 coaches and players in San Antonio.
Attack on Shasta
COLLEGE BLOGS
Duarte on the Longhorns

Harris on the Aggies

Murphy on Cougars

Bower on the Owls

Turner on area colleges

This week's college scores

TEAM COVERAGE
Houston Cougars

Rice Owls

Texas Longhorns

Texas A&M Aggies

<!-- end rboxes --><!-- <TM PL_VAR NAME="f.component.6"> -->
<!-- rbox ends here -->COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne opened his weekly online column Wednesday with a quote: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
In the days and weeks to come, those words could loom ominous as the school launches an investigation into football coach Dennis Franchione's VIP Connection, an e-mail newsletter that provided insider information to select boosters for a fee of $1,200 annually.
Based on Franchione's contract, which the Chronicle obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, at least two aspects of the agreement could come into question, including one that could void his $2 million-a-year deal without requiring the school to pay an $8 million buyout.
Franchione's distribution of the newsletter and the information provided also could bring secondary NCAA violations, according to two compliance officers not involved or intimately familiar with the Texas A&M probe.
Franchione sometimes provided injury information, discussed specific recruits and accepted outside sports-related income without getting it approved through proper school channels.
Providing undisclosed injury information has received the most attention because of the gambling implications.

Cause for concern?

"I think the NCAA will generally be concerned with the possibility of providing information to gamblers, whether knowingly or not," said University of Houston compliance officer Kevin Fite. "But it's pretty hard to nail that down. He would have to know or have reason to know they were using the information for gambling."
Compliance officers are employed by universities to make sure student-athletes, coaches, faculty and boosters act in accordance to NCAA rules.
Texas A&M interim president Dr. Ed Davis announced Tuesday that an investigation into the newsletter is being conducted by Byrne and A&M's NCAA compliance officer, David Batson. The athletic department likely is trying to determine if Franchione committed any NCAA violations or violated terms of his contract.
Franchione said the intent of the insider e-mail newsletter was to help offset the cost of running his personal Web site, coachfran.com.
Franchione has said the $1,200 annual payments from the 12 to 15 boosters went directly to the company that maintains his site.
That admission could be in violation of Section 2.3 of his contract, which states Franchione is prohibited from receiving any money or benefits or gratuity whatsoever from any university booster club or other benefactor if such action would be in violation of NCAA rules.
A violation of that term could result in the termination of Franchione's contract, which runs through 2012, per Section 5.1 (a) under Termination for Cause. Franchione can be suspended without pay or the agreement can be terminated immediately if he breaks any of the rules listed in Sections 2.1 through 2.5.

Statements from A&M

Texas A&M officials have declined to discuss issues concerning the VIP Connection, but have issued statements about the ongoing investigation.
"We're dealing with issues this week that while well-intentioned, were mistakes," Byrne wrote in his column. "Many want to hear from me about the VIP Connection.
"Within the University and athletic department, we are collecting all the information available, and it is my hope that we will have everything wrapped up and delivered to you and the media soon. We will keep you as informed as we possibly can."
Among the issues Byrne and Batson likely are looking into is Franchione accepting outside income without notifying the school president directly or through the athletic department.
Byrne has said he was unaware of the existence of the VIP Connection until three weeks ago, at which time he instructed Franchione to discontinue it.
But Franchione's secret deal with the boosters seems to violate terms in his contract and NCAA bylaws on notification of outside income.
"There is the question of who is paying for the upkeep of the Web site," said a compliance officer from a major conference school, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "And then there is the question of whose pocket would it have come out of had the boosters not paid directly to the company. What was his intent?
"It's probably not a good idea to be getting money from any boosters."
Meanwhile, Franchione's team is preparing for a meeting of Big 12 South teams when Oklahoma State visits Kyle Field on Saturday.

PROFILES IN DISILLUSION
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 10:50:23 AM EDT
</I>

Conquered favorites and other notables picking up the pieces of shattered ambition this week:
DAVID WAS ONLY +36.5. The stakes of Stanford's upset keep rising: I saw the Cardinal as 38.5-point dogs on Friday, beat reporter Scott Wolf (who's taken to calling Pete Carroll "Caesar," as in Question for Caesar: How does it feel to get outcoached by a punk?") put the line at 39 immediately after the game, I heard "40-point underdog" all weekend and now read 41-point underdog in the L.A. Times. The least of them is still the greatest upset in the history of the sport, replacing Syracuse's win over Louisville three weeks ago.
The Cardinal lost its first three Pac Ten games - to UCLA, Oregon and Arizona State - by an average of 30 points. Below are the major stat categories tracked by the NCAA in which Stanford finished 90th or worse in 2006, i.e. among the bottom 30 teams in the country, with 2007 ranks after Saturday's win in parentheses:
  • Rushing Offense: 115 (97) Scoring Defense: 108 (98)
    Passing Offense: 95 (46) Turnover Margin: 112 (46)
    Total Offense: 118 (83) Passing Efficiency: 94 (93)
    Scoring Offense: 118 (92) Sacks: 111 (15)
    Rushing Defense: 117 (81) Tackles For Loss: 115 (21)
    Total Defense: 97 (105) Sacks Allowed: 119 (114)
Stanford still can't score or stop anyone, but there are two huge, probably not unrelated leaps: sacks, tackles for loss and turnover margin. The Cardinal had four sacks against John David Booty and collected the four infamous interceptions in the second half. Not that everyone is all that broken up about it, if you ask Sports By Brooks:

d0f50f1f_73a4_443d_b716_1c626b73cb85.jpg

OMG! We lost? Like, I'm not even going to smile when John takes body shots off my bare, impossibly supple stomach tonight!
- - -

• L.A. NIGHTCLUB GETS BOOTY SHOTS AFTER TROJAN LOSS: SbB has learned that after the USC Trojans crushing loss last night to Stanford, which is officially the biggest upset in college football history (since the enactment of published point spreads), several Trojan players were see partying it up immediately after the game at Los Angeles nightclub Les Deux. Among those at the Hollywood hot spot, which is a favorite of Matt Leinart, was quarterback John David Booty, who was observed doing shots and enjoying the company of several members of the fairer sex (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
    - - -
Trojan partisans might not agree with that last line, though, in fairness, Booty was only trying to numb the pain of the broken finger he suffered at the end of an interception-free first half (disturbingly referred to somewhere as "a cracked middle finger"), which has already, ah, shouldered its share of the blame and could sideline Booty for this week's game with Arizona - but that's the only reason. Carroll stuck with Booty, figuring if Drew Bledsoe could do it, so could JDB, and suggested elsewhere that losing linemen Chico Rachal and Kris O'Dowd on the same play against Washington has hurt much more: "We were fine and something hit the fan. There's been a big fallout and it hasn't felt the same way since."
USC Sports Talk does not agree (image is USCST's):
  • QB Competition Checklist:
    1. Give the senior QB an opportunity to play and prove himself. COMPLETE
    2. Allow praised QB to compete for Heisman Trophy. COMPLETE
    3. Pull senior quarterback and replace him with the more talented redshirt sophomore quarterback who possess greater athleticism, confidence, arm strength, heart, and intelligence. PROCESSING...
    4. Sit back and watch as your offense flourishes under the new field general.
    uscsportstalksancheztimkv0.jpg

John David Booty is under the bus.</I>
    - - -
Last word from Wolf's blog, via commenter "Captain Intangibles":

• I fear that our success is turning many of us into Bama fans. Ease up, people. Yesterday sucked, but we're not THAT bad.
    - - -
Oregon's Addicted to Quack certainly hopes not.
WHERE FOR ART THOU, SCHADENFREUDE? UCLA doesn't even get the basic enjoyment inherent in a stunning rival loss, itself a shamed loser against a winless team for the second time in three weeks, and for the second time stuck on a meager six points. The first stop after even the most minor Bruin setback should always be Bruins Nation, because you know what's coming, and after another colossal debacle, Nestor doesn't disappoint:
  • We have known this for years even during the fraudlent "10 win" season that our program was being short-circuited by an inexperienced, overmatched, coach in name only idiot. The only identity the idiot's team has established in last 4+ years is the one of most inconsistent program in the NCAA, featured by constant underachievement, let down wins, systematic lack of fundamental and discipline (the ultimate anti-Howland in the lexicon of UCLA sports), establishing itself as the Lavin program of college football.
    All these humiliations have taken place despite UCLA giving Dorrell every chance to succeed. It has markedly improved all the facilities during his tenure. It has let him liberally hire and fire mediocre assistant coaches (paying them at a handsome level unprecedented in UCLA AD's penny pinching history), and it has even let him get away even after shaming the program by having character with criminal past o the program. And now deep into his 5th season, we are at a point when it is clear to anyone with a functioning sports brain that Dorrell is a failure.
I interrupt here only to say this is the exact reaction after every L.A. loss over the last two years. Not that it's wrong, just noting in light of the "it is clear" line that certain people thought it was fairly clear before his third season, and have never stopped saying so. Continuing:
  • I think right now if you are a UCLA fan, my hunch is our magic number is 4.
    If Dorrell loses 4 more games, he is done, which means this joke needs to go 3-3 with a victory over Southern Cal rest of the way, before getting canned at the end of next season.
    That's all there is left to it. Fortunately for the Idiot he gets his toughest opponents - Cal, ASU and Oregon - at home.
    I'd caution against celebrating early thinking it is all but a done deal and that our program will just free fall down the stretch.
    (yes, fans, don't get your hopes up for spectacular failure just yet - ed.)
    [...]
    So what we can do for now is to keep the chatter going?
    There is one thing we can do that can be extremely effectively. And my appeal goes out to the students who read this blog or DumpDorrell.com. Please consider organizing yourself in a methodical, systematic, and deliberate manner operating within all campus rules and regulations, and start voicing your concerns straight to the Chancellor and the Athletic Director in a way, that is visible to us (so we can amplify it here) and to the traditional media. Again one of the reason Notre Dame officials moved fast on Willingham was when they heard students were organizing demonstrations on campus. It got their attention. And it will get their attention in Westwood.
    I will leave you this quote from Shannon Tevaga in the Daily News re the call on 4th and 1:
    (at the ND 32 on the first possession of the third quarter, where Bethel-Thompson was sacked for an eight-yard loss - ed.):
    "I thought we were going to run it there," Tevaga said. "That's the coaches' call."
    I can only imagine what some of these kids are thinking inside that they can't share in the MSM. Dorrell and his clowns are destroying the careers of all these kids (costing them millions) right in front of our eyes...

- - -
e3f38143-b61f-49bc-9173-00bfe364710f.jpg

McLeod Bethel-Thompson: nice name, not so nice at football.
- - -
A major part of the Bruins' offensive <STRIKE>hilarity</STRIKE> depression was another shocking injury to faberget starter Ben Olson, which, with Patrick Cowan already sidelined, led to the ambush of a walk-on third-stringer, the nicely-named McLeod Bethel-Thompson. Who proceeded to complete 12 of 28 passes with four interceptions. This is a much worse situation under center even than Notre Dame's, and with so few options that, rather then even consider throwing Bethel-Thompson to the wolves again, coaches are alternating between moving Osaar Rasshan from receiver or rushing Cowan back into the lineup against Washington in two weeks. This would be fine with the L.A. Times:

• Stepped back: Olson. Suffering a knee injury was a tough development. Not talking to the media afterward, well, that happens. But there was Thompson, needing consoling and support after Saturday night's game. There was injured quarterback Patrick Cowan, at his side. And there was Olson, a couple of locker stalls over, shooing away the media as if they were Canadian Soldiers in Cleveland.
    - - -
The Times would also like to know why, exactly, coaches didn't call Rasshan's number even after it was painfully obvious Bethel-Thompson was no Tavita Pritchard:
  • Osaar Rasshan was warming up. The need for him, or something, was apparent, as UCLA was quarterback-needy against Notre Dame on Saturday night.
    [...]
    Rasshan was ready. Coach Karl Dorrell wasn't. The Bruins offense, he said, could not call that audible.
    Rasshan was recruited as a quarterback and trained two seasons to be a UCLA quarterback before moving to wide receiver over the summer. Yet, when the offense failed to re-boot under Bethel-Thompson during Saturday's 20-6 loss to previously winless Notre Dame, Rasshan was considered user unfriendly for reasons beyond his control.
    "It wasn't an option," Dorrell said in a conference call Sunday night. "He hasn't had any reps in quite some time at quarterback."
    The question some might ask is, "Why?"
    The Bruins' top two quarterbacks have not been healthy in the same game this season. Olson missed one game because of a concussion and Cowan missed the first three because of a partially torn hamstring and the last two because of a partially torn knee ligament. Yet, the Bruins seemed unprepared for disaster, with Bethel-Thompson and freshman Chris Forcier, who they hope to redshirt, as the only backups to Olson on Saturday night.
    Dorrell had considered resorting to the Rasshan option going into the season opener at Stanford, when Cowan was out because of a hamstring injury. Dorrell said they had a "package" ready for Rasshan in case of emergency. When an emergency came Saturday, the expiration date on that package had passed. "We haven't practiced that package since the early portion of the season," Dorrell said. "We thought the injuries our quarterbacks had were not long term. We thought that Pat would be back soon. . . . We felt in pretty good shape."

- - -
2003213562.jpg

Get `em next time, big guy.
- - -
When I was a kid and screwed something up and tried to tell my dad "I thought..." I used to wonder how he could still be upset. I thought I put the windows back up in the car, and I was wrong, but how was I supposed to know I was wrong? How was I supposed to know the seats and those papers would be ruined? I thought I was right. So how can I be blamed for that?

I understand a little better now. Thank you, Karl Dorrell.
DAWGS SMELL THE BLOOD OF A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. If it's measured perspective you're looking for on Georgia's blowout loss at Tennessee, you might find Dawg Sports, or an extraordinarily judicious Paul Westerdawg up your alley. We, however, are looking for instant, frothing rage, and for that, we turn to Chip Towers' Atlanta Journal-Constitution blog. The author is stunned but patient about UGA's unravelling in front of his eyes, but his commenters couldn't unload much more bile:
  • Fire Willie. Fire him now. How many times can we line up in the f-ing nickel (EVEN WHEN THEY'RE ON THE 5!!!) and let teams pound the ball against us!?!?!? And if you're going to play nickel can you please put somebody on the recievers sometime before the 10 yards from the line of scrimmage? Is anyone surprised that a good QB like Ainge is picking us apart without pressure?
    FIRE HIM. HE HAS TO GO. GEORGIA WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING OF SIGNIFICANCE WITH HIM HERE.
    FIRE WILLIE!!!
    - - -
    ...the Dawgs seem to be looking for leadership on defense. They look absolutely awful and the snowball is getting bigger. I thought 51 pts was bad last year...they are just continuing where they left off.
    By 6th Straight LLoss in SEC East
    - - -
    Dawgs players are flat and on their heels. Does the defense have a game plan? Did WM think the vowels would roll over? Seems an awful lot like very poor planning. Looks like 0-6 against eastern division is all but in the books.
    - - -
    This D sux. Willie Martinez should have been fired two years ago. Stafford may not be all we thought he was going to be. He consistently misses open guys. P</STRONG>* poor effort all around so far. WE all should have seen this coming. We've only played well in one game all year, against OSU. It's going to be a long year after today. We will lose to Florida, Auburn, Kentucky and have to fight like he!! to beat Troy.
    - - -
    I'm a Bulldogs fan and I'll be one till the day I die but Willie Martinez is testing me. It's as if he's trying to call the worst defensive package possible. He's got to go. UGA's defenses have been ranked well under him not due to his coaching but in spite of it. Our defense makes plays on pure talent and is handcuffed by Willie's inept coaching. Today we're seeing the football equivalent of the Britney Spears VMA awards performance by Willie Martinez. So bad you just want to cry in pity.
    - - - We look like chumps. Humiliating.

- - -
There are 70 comments. I stopped after about a dozen.
Georgia also learned Sunday it will forge ahead without Thomas Brown, who will miss the next month and possibly the rest of the regular season with a broken collar bone. But that's not the grand insult to the inconsistent Dawgs, delivered by the AJC's Jeff Schultz: "I dub thee `Georgia Tech.'"
WE WISH SOMEONE WOULD DUB US GEORGIA TECH: Speaking of the Jackets, Terence Moore may be slightly overboard in his description of Tech's rally from 18 points down to Maryland:
  • Then came the second half, when Bennett did his Tom Brady imitation, and Demaryius Thomas became Randy Moss, and the defense evoked memories of the '85 Bears. Before long, with the suddenly aggressive Jackets playing as they should have all along, they just missed overcoming themselves when Travis Bell's kick sailed just wide right from 52 yards inside the final minute."
    - - -
Moore is closer to sanity when he says Georgia Tech is too talented to be sitting at 1-3 in the ACC with losses to Virginia and Maryland and bemoaning what could have been on a last-second field goal when the team should never be down 21-3 to begin with. If the Willie Martinez comments made you uncomfortable for some reason, you might want to skip the ones directed at Chan Gailey.
Elsewhere in Disillusion...
- - - Iowa made Anthony Morelli look good. That is all.

744746b8-d4ad-4d28-9ebb-3d1ca4252cc8.jpg

Nebraska: barely hanging on. Actually, the defense went ahead and let go against Missouri.
- - -
Some perspective on Nebraska's season after its humbling loss to Missouri: Nebraska didn't allow 40 points a single time in the seventies and only yielded 40 twice in the eighties. With Missouri's 41-point, 606-yard barrage Saturday, these Huskers have allowed 40 points three times in six games. The Tigers also set a new opponent record with 32 first downs and set Nebraska's defense 62 yards behind the most generous effort in school history, currently held by the 1948 team that finished 2-8.

All coaches, players and fans have experienced devastating defeat, but suspended Texas safety Tyrell Gatewood wants to ask: Have you ever experienced devastating defeat....on weed? Perhaps you have, and perhaps the, uh, perspective worked out for you, but for Gatewood, his arrest after UT's loss to Oklahoma Saturday night destroys whatever hope he held of returning to the team after an initial possession arrest three weeks ago.
But you know what? As the comments to the Gatewood story point out, at least UT has $$ and CLASS & TRADITION, unlike those FREAKISH smelly WHITE TRASH kinda fat & pudgy & clueless GOOBER PYLE look-a-likes from A&M. So take your two-game lead in the division and stick it up your freakish smelly ass.
Steve Kragthorpe after Louisville's home loss to Utah Friday night: "We did not play well on defense at all." What gave it away, coach? Forty-four points? Five hundred eighty-two yards? Twenty-two plays of double digit yards?
Krag's prescription: "We've got to do a better job of not making mistakes, and if we make mistakes we've got to get them corrected to where we don't make them again." Mmmmm...insightful. Bret Bielema has handled everything else well as a young, first-time head coach. How about losing? Tyler Donovan is set to set single-season Wisconsin records for completions, yards and touchdowns, after his 392-yard day, and it's not stopping anyone from thinking he still looked awful against Illinois.

JaJuan Spillman done for the season
By Mike Section: News
Posted on Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 04:13:11 PM EDT
</I>

Not a real shock, but Steve Kragthorpe announced this afternoon that wide receiver/return man JaJuan Spillman's suspension has been upgraded from indefinitely to the entire season.
Upset that he wasn't getting more touches with Harry Douglas unavailable, Spillman voiced his displeasure with the coaching staff in the first half of the NC State game. He was subsequently benched for the remainder of the game, and suspended indefinitely two days later.
Kragthorpe did say the possibility exists that Spillman could earn his way back onto the team after the end of the season.
The announcement marks the latest bit of bad news in what has been a tumultuous 2007 for Spillman. On Jan. 31 he was charged with driving under the influence and possession of marijuana after he wrecked his car and was confronted by police. The situation was reportedly handled internally, but made its ways onto the front page of local newspapers on Aug. 16. He is currently set to stand trial on Dec. 11. All right! Go Cards, beat Cincinnati!!!

So How Good Are The Illini?

Posted Oct 8th 2007 2:01PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Big 10, Illinois Football
illiniaregod.jpg
Last week when I saw that the Illini were favored at home against #5 Wisconsin, I openly questioned just what the linemakers in Vegas had been smoking. Well, after seeing Illinois beat Wisconsin rather handily on Saturday morning, I'd like to know where I can get some for myself.

The Illini quite literally ran over the Badgers on Saturday in Champaign, to the tune of 289 yards on the ground. The rushing attack was led once again by Rashard Mendenhall, whom if he keeps having performances like this, is going to start seeing his name pop up in Heisman consideration.

Mendenhall has rushed for 772 yards and 10 touchdowns already this season, and has even added two touchdowns receiving. His performance has helped an Illini offense that led the Big Ten in rushing last season with 188 yards a game improve to 261.2 yards per game this season.

The Illini are now 3-0 in the Big Ten for the first time since 1990, and ranked in the top 25 for the first time since the 2001 season that ended with a trip to the Sugar Bowl.

Is a Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl bid out of line for the Illini?

Looking at their schedule for the remainder of the season, it's not out of the question. They have two road games against Iowa and Minnesota that appear to be quite winnable, and one home game left against Northwestern.

The only two real roadblocks standing in their way are Michigan and Ohio State. The good news there is that the Illini get Michigan in Champaign. The bad news is they have to go to Columbus to face the Buckeyes. I never would have thought so at the beginning of the season, but the Michigan game in two weeks is a game Illinois can win. That means their November 10th matchup against the Buckeyes could be the game that decides the Big Ten champion.

Now, I don't see that happening. I have Illinois losing both of those games and finishing 6-2 in the Big Ten and playing in the Capital One Bowl or something. It's not a Big Ten title, but considering this is a team that won only 2 games all of last season, and had only one conference victory the past two years, and it's already a successful season in Champaign.

Maybe Ron Zook is more than just a recruiting monster after all. Maybe he actually can coach.

Midseason Review: Quarterbacks

by HornsFan Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 06:32:13 PM EDT

We're halfway through the regular season, with a 4-2 record. Our Big 12 title hopes are only mathematically alive. Now's a good time to evaluate who's done what so far, along with what adjustments need to be made, and towards which goals.
As not to overwhelm, we'll go through each position separately.
<INS>Statistics</INS>
qbstats.bmp

<INS>Overview</INS>
There's been a discernable gulf between Colt McCoy's 2007 on-field performance and the way Texas fans have been willing to talk about those performances. For the most part, fans have tiptoed around his mediocre season by thinking nostalgically about his strong freshman campaign. Whether that's been optimism that he'd turn things around or hesitancy to disparage such a likable kid I don't know.
Now, though, Texas has lost four straight conference games. That hasn't happened since John Mackovic's final disastrous season at the helm in 1997. Moreover, there's a mountain of evidence that Texas' offensive coordinator is ill-suited to succeed consistently with a quarterback like McCoy. It's not irrational fanaticism that's driving people to compare the current team with "pre-VY" teams. The comparison is valid. This looks like another good-not-great offensive football team with another good-not-great quarterback.
It's a little bit unfair to McCoy, of course. He's making mistakes on his own, but he's also bound somewhat by his coaches and their system. There are days when I think Greg Davis could make Tom Brady look helpless and lost.
McCoy does have to shoulder the bulk of the blame for his performance, though. He's developed an unseemly habit of locking in on his intended target, to the point where fans watching at home on the television can predict what McCoy's about to do long before he does it. Good defensive coordinators have taught their players McCoy's tendencies, and how to exploit them.
There is also the running to consider. McCoy's not a bad athlete by any stretch, but he's a non-issue in terms of being a runner defenses must account for. This would be less of a problem in a different system, but as is, we're pointlessly running our offense out of the shotgun.
As for John Chiles, the guy's still in the plastic wrapping. We've seen the tantalizing athleticism in small doses, but for the most part, he's been ignored. We'll have to withhold evaluation until we see more from him.
<INS>Adjustments</INS>
The 800-pound gorilla in the room is the quarterback question. I know a lot of fans don't want to think about it, let alone talk about it. We (myself included) all thought Colt McCoy was a team strength and the key to Texas' offensive proficiency in 2007. That wasn't quite right.
Fair or not, I think we're starting to see why the ceiling for Texas' offense under Colt McCoy just isn't high enough for this team to accomplish its goals. While some of that is due to McCoy's own limitations, I think more of it centers around Greg Davis. We've had a lot of good offensive teams during Davis' years in Austin, but only two truly great ones. I don't have to tell you who quarterbacked those two teams.
This begs the question: should Texas start transitioning to John Chiles? It might work out for the better and it might not, but there are at least two undeniable points:
  1. It would be criminal for the coaches not to figure out what they have with John Chiles. Starting this year. If they wait too long, or don't take seriously the task of exploring Chiles' abilities, we'll be in the exact same position next year.
  1. The Texas offense's upside is greater with a mobile quarterback than without. Again, this just isn't that fair to McCoy, but football isn't about fairness and making friends. Everyone talks about the goals of the team being what's most important. Is it just lip service? We'll find out.
Given those two points, when it's all said and done, the biggest potential mistake of the 2007 season wouldn't have anything to do with lackluster performances against Kansas State, or missed opportunities against Oklahoma. It would be failing to explore what this offense can be with John Chiles as its quarterback.
Maybe Chiles isn't as great as some believe. Maybe he gets hurt and the point is moot. But we might just find that Chiles adds a dimension to this offense which brings things up a notch. Or perhaps we stumble into a nice combo package where both McCoy and Chiles are parts of the plan. Whatever might happen, the only thing we know for sure right now is that we don't know enough.
That, and we've lost four straight conference games. Plausible deniability should no longer be tolerated. Fans demand competence. The players deserve competence.
End of story.

Sweed lost for year

By Suzanne Halliburton | Monday, October 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
Texas receiver Limas Sweed will undergo season-ending surgery to tighten ligaments in his left wrist.
Sweed sprained his wrist in preseason drills. He aggravated it late against Oklahoma, which was the reason he was not on the field for the final two offensive series in the 28-21 loss to the Sooners.
“I’ve aggravated it a couple of times and again last week and have probably been in more pain than I let anybody know,” Sweed said. “I spent most of the afternoon on Monday with the doctors and training staff and they said that I should go ahead and have surgery to get it taken care of, so I’m going to take their advice.
“I’m disappointed I won’t be out there playing but I’ll be around cheering on the guys and doing everything I can to help the team. I appreciate all of the support I’ve had from the coaches, doctors, trainers and all of my teammates and look forward to getting myself healthy, hopefully, for a future in the NFL.”
In addition, defensive end Aaron Lewis fractured his elbow against the Sooners and is out indefinitely. Fullback Luke Tiemann also will undergo wrist surgery, but is expected to miss only two games.

-----------------

With Sweed out, Texas doesn't have the "featured" receiver to go to. Sweed is 6'4" and the remainder of the receivers are at least 2" shorter.

Make no mistake, it is a huge loss--but it may pay dividends in the long run as we get some of the younger receivers into the mix.

Texas also has tons of weapons to go to still--Pittman, Cosby, Jones, Shipley, Finley, and the young guys. If I had to guess, Pittman now becomes the long ball threat to stretch defenses as he is or has been the fastest receiver on the field.

MID-MAJOR MONDAY RUNS IT ALL THE WAY BACK
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 09:21:43 PM EDT
</I>

How obscure was 2-3 Akron's game Saturday at 2-3 Western Michigan? So obscure that the hometown Akron Beacon-Journal didn't even send a reporter to Kalamazoo, relying instead on a rote, standard issue AP report to describe what must be one of the amazing finishes of this or any season. For a little color, we turn instead to Graham Couch's more dramatic run down in the Kalamazoo Gazette:
Zippy%20and%20Joey.JPG

Zippy, the horrifying, pantless kangaroo menace, seized by regret for leaving after Western Michigan's last touchdown.
- - -

• Bill Cubit walked in, smacked his hat on the table, sat down and stared. For about five minutes Saturday night, Western Michigan University's football coach didn't raise his eyes from the table in the postgame interview room in the bowels of Waldo Stadium.
    Cubit needed time to digest what had just taken place.
    Moments earlier, he must have figured he'd be talking about his team's third straight win and an impressive second half against a surprisingly game Akron program.
    Instead, the Broncos' coach had to relive a heart-wrenching 39-38 defeat, one that appeared certain to be a victory with a few seconds remaining.
    "Obviously, it was just unbelievable,'' Cubit finally began. "I don't know what else to say.''
    With a 38-31 lead and time winding down, WMU (2-4) elected to take a safety on fourth down with 15 seconds remaining rather than chance a traditional punt.
    Akron's Alphonso Owen took the free kick from Broncos punter Jim Laney at the 11-yard line and began upfield. In the grasp of WMU's Boston McCornell at about the 25-yard line, Owen found teammate Andre Jones streaking up the left sideline.
    Jones grabbed the short lateral and reversed field, beating WMU's coverage deep into Broncos territory before slipping past C.J. Wilson at the 5-yard line and ducking into the end zone for the victory after time had expired.
    The crowd, announced at 25,610, once ready to burst into celebration, filed out looking about as shocked as Cubit. Even the band seemed to recognize the moment, playing a rendition of "Amazing Grace'' at a tempo appropriate for a funeral.
    "I can't even describe the feeling in how we feel right now,'' Cubit continued. `"I thought we had him tackled. I'll be honest, I didn't see much of the final play.
    "They've got a pretty good punt returner, so we figured we'd take 20 more yards and get our kickoff team out there so we didn't have to protect the block and (could) get some guys downfield.'' Until Jones crossed the goal line, WMU's Londen Fryar was the game's hero in the clutch. With the Broncos leading 38-31, Fryar broke up three straight passes from the 7-yard line on Akron's final drive to give WMU the ball with less than 2 minutes to play.

- - -
A loss so devastating, the band played "Amazing Grace." As it stands, I haven't seen this clip on the Leader or anywhere else - this is what the old, lamented "hidden video" segment on Thursday nights was made for - and can't find video or even a decent photo of the climactic return or the fallout from the field-storming crowd. The Beacon-Journal's "photo gallery" is two AP shots, probably filed before the end of the game so the overworked weekend photog could jet to a middle school beauty pageant or something. If any readers have any clips, pics or other items of interest related to the final play, send it along.
Click here to listen to the WMU Chamber Choir sing "Amazing Grace" in a more graceful setting.
In other non-categorical news, someone asked during Saturday's open thread when was the last time Temple and Buffalo each won on the same day (Temple upset Northern Illinois, 16-15, to the holder-bashing chagrin of NIU Sports (which is less than thrilled with the Huskies in close games in general), and Buffalo walloped Ohio U. of Ohio, 31-10, which could get the never-favored Bulls close to even against Toledo this week). I have no answer for that, unless it's "probably never." Buffalo has only been I-A for roughly eight years, all of them overwhelmingly bad, at the same time Temple has endured a stretch as one of the most win-averse teams anywhere. The odds are nearly infinitismal that the dual victories Saturday have ever occurred before. Again, if anyone knows otherwise, drop me a line. Steppin' Up

09-06-06dnews-14b.jpg

The Record vs. BCS Conferences
- - - Last week: 1-7
Avg. Score: 21-33
This year: 15-93
Avg. Score: 19-38
- - -
See the complete list of lower division wins this season.

Opportunities await over the next two months - notably Navy's shot at ending its record 43-game losing streak against Notre Dame - but six weeks and 108 BCS vs. non-BCS games into one of the bloodiest seasons of upset football in recent memory, it's safe to say the curtain has fallen yet again on any chance of the long-awaited mid-major uprising. Of the season's three monumental upsets and myriad other surprising swipes, not one of them is the product of a member of any of the five mid-major conferences and two independents that make up roughly 43 percent of the Bowl Subdivision; the only win by a true mid-major over a ranked opponent is Utah's turnover-fulled romp over UCLA, a week before the Utes were shut out by UNLV to drop to 1-4.
The will be other triumphs to recount at the end of the year - hooray for Troy over Oklahoma State! Wyoming over Virginia! - but in all, the "parity" angle driving columns and commentary hasn't trickled down to those leagues at all. The middle class (Syracuse, Stanford, South Florida) may be getting richer, but it's at the expense of the truly poor souls in the MAC at C-USA, who are still doubled up in the average contract killing against BCS behemoths. Damn you, Reaganomics!
reaganjeans.jpg

Blame the Gipper for the failure of "trickle down" recruiting. He always had a vision for America, and it included the Big West knowing its place.
- - -

Consequently, as conference games dominate the schedule, the "Steppin' Up" metric will be moving to the bottom of the column for the rest of the season. Because we don't need your validation, anyway.

Hail to the Conquering Heroes
- - -
Utah's 44-6 win over UCLA had all the makings of a fluke, coming as it did as the meat in a sandwich of defeat, between humiliating MWC losses to Air Force and UNLV. But no! Give the Utes an unsteady, reeling quasi-power that refuses to play defense, and they will exploit it for the only class-hopping victory of the weekend.
Louisville was doomed by the thing swe've come to identify as quintessentially Kragthorpian: an instant, insurmountable deficit, a refusal to cover individuals running wide open through the secondary, an inability to tackle, a desperate comeback that falls short. The Cardinals did not turn the ball over here, as they did against Kentucky and Syracuse, but the defense made it easy enough without the help: Utah racked up 580 yards and scored touchdowns on four of its first six possessions. Brian Brohm wound up slinging enough passes (58) in comeback mode to finish with 493 and four touchdowns, but UL had a chance for about 30 seconds after the fourth scoring toss - which cut the score to 41-35 with 3:25 to play - before Utah recovered the icing onside kick.
What Should Have Been...
- - -
If Florida Atlantic had any kind of kicking game, it could have logged another entry in the season of top-ranked blood Saturday against South Florida, against whom the Owls missed three first half field goals and turned the ball over on downs on another occasion in USF territory in an eventual 35-23 loss that was closer than the score (South Florida scored its last touchdown with 29 seconds to play in a five-point game). FAU couldn't stop the Bulls' running game - Bernie Williams and Matt Grothe each went over 100 on the ground with big runs to their credit - but Grothe did little damage as a passer (122 yards, no touchdowns) and FAU's own offense went off for 411 yards on 22 first downs. That tied the Owls' second-best offensive effort of the season: in all likelihood, even in the upcoming Sun Belt schedule, they're not touching the 580 and 42 points they put up in the win over Minnesota last month.
Elsewhere, after falling behind 23-0 in the first quarter, Houston wound up outgaining Alabama and pulling within six points of the Tide midway through the fourth quarter, on its fourth score in five possessions. The Cougars' last two drives ended in interceptions, though, and Alabama avoided a second half posterization. ...and What Never Had a Prayer
- - -
Bowling Green briefly led Boston College, 3-0, and pulled to within 14-10 in the second quarter before the Eagles ran off four unanswered touchdowns in the final six minutes of the half. Two of those scores were on interception returns, and BC quickly extended a 38-10 advantage at the half to 52-10 with two 80-yard touchdown drives in the third. The total yardage was practically even thanks to some garbage time effort by BG, but the Falcons committed six turnovers and were down at one point by six touchdowns in a 55-24 final. That's a blowout.

6acb823c-8e1d-4041-9ee0-4b46798c42fc.jpg

Your standard issue cushion by the Tulsa secondary.
- - -

Mid-Major Game(s) of the Week
While you were waiting for the other shoe to drop on Stanford...
- - -
The WMU-Akron game recounted above had reams of offense - 764 yards and seven touchdown passes between two quarterbacks - but no game over the weekend held a candle to the fireworks of UTEP and Tulsa. From the Golden Hurricane that brought you 55-47 and 21-62 comes the latest in a season-long assault on everything defensive coordinators hold dear, a 95-point, 1,218-yard explosion that featured almost as many points in the fourth quarter - an astounding 37 between both teams - as plays from scrimmage (41). This after the offenses had also combined to score 24 in the second quarter and had 19 plays of longer than 20 yards.

To the extent either offense was slowed, it was Tulsa's, by virtue of three Hurricane turnovers, though only of them led to points, and even that a 78-yard UTEP drive in the first half. The touchdown drives in the second half covered 80, 81, 71, 65, 53, 72 and 76 yards, after the last of which Tulsa trailed 48-47 with 58 seconds to move for the win. The subsequent hurry-up, beginning at the Hurricane 41, was not impressive, but it did move the ball to the UTEP 36 with three seconds on the clock, just enough for a doomed 53-yard effort by Jarod Tracy that sailed left to seal the Miner win.Tulsa is a point machine, both for itself and opponents, but it was UTEP's third straight win over forty-eight.
In Laramie (Wyoming, that is), TCU completed its spiral from wannabe "BCS Buster" to Mountain West also-ran by falling into a 24-6 hole in the fourth quarter at Wyoming from which the Frogs couldn't hop or powerlift their way out (cuz they're frogs and have a serious strength and conditioning program, see? Eh, I should have gone for the blood-shooting-from-the-eyes thing. Philistines).
Damned if they didn't try, though. The Cowboys broke open a close, 7-6 game in the third quarter with consecutive touchdown drives that built the lead to 21-6, then laid down the coup de grace by driving 93 yards from their own one-yard line for a chip shot field goal that put them ahead 24-6 with 8:25 to play. The kick ass run defense that finished second in the nation last year and carried a 21-game streak without allowing a 100-yard rusher into last month's game with Texas suddenly allowed two 100-yard rushers, 135 to Devin Moore (5.9 per carry) and 100 to Wynel Seldon (5.0 per carry), in one game.
From that point, though, down 18 with half a quarter remaining, the Frogs came out firing, moving 50 yards through the air for one touchdown (and two-point conversion) in a little under two minutes, then taking advantage of a botched punt after a 3rd-and-1 stop for a quick 15-yard drive to pull within three. The Frogs forced another three-and-out, got the ball back at its own 20 with 1:11, and moved to the Wyoming 31 in 11 plays for a 48-yard attempt at overtime...which Chris Manfredi missed on the final snap of the game.
It was Manfredi's second game-ending miss of the season: he also missed a 36-yarder in the first overtime in a loss to Air Force. The two kicks - not exclusively, but directly, in the "easy scapegoat" sort of way - are all that stand between TCU and a 3-0 record in the Mountain West. Instead, the preseason lock is 1-2 with losses to two of the five teams that currently sit in front of it. Wyoming (see below) holds on to the conference's best overall record at 4-1.
Mid-Major Player(s) of the Week
Non-Brennan Division
- - -
Akron's Jabari Arthur (15 catches, 223 yds., 3 TD) wasn't involved in the Zips' final spectacular touchdown, but he did more than any other Zip to have the team in the position for it to matter, continuing a fine senior season with career highs across the board.
Elsewhere, like many quarterbacks before him, Brian Johnson (24-31, 312 yds., 1 TD, 37 rush yds., 1 TD) efficiently diced Louisville's secondary to his satisfaction in Utah's 44-35 road win, while Dan LeFevour (30-38, 360 yds., 5 TD, 1 INT, 16 carries, 148 rush yds., 1 TD) put one giant all-purpose torch to Ball State and its stadium, while the Cardinals' parents, girlfriends and tutors were still inside, no doubt, in Central Michigan's 58-38 rout. Four of LeFevour's five scoring passes came in a gung ho third quarter. And in all likelihood, Temple had its best defensive effort since holding Pitt to 189 yards in a 29-22 loss back in 2002, this time holding 1-5 Northern Illinois to 259 in a 16-15 win. Terran Knighton opened things up for the Owls with a 66-yard fumble return for touchdown in the second quarter.
Obligatory Brennan Stat Watch
While desperately attempting to retain grains of skepticism.
- - -
Brennan left Hawaii's 52-37 win over Utah State after completing 19 of 25 passes for 219 yards (8.8. per attempt) and one touchdown with no interceptions. Tyler Graunke came off the bench to complete 9 of 11 for 246 yards (22.4 ypa!) with three touchdowns and one interception.
Pace for the Season: Brennan has played roughly 15 quarters in five games, exiting a couple early and missing Hawaii's win over Charleston Southern completely. Assuming he plays the entirety of Hawaii's six remaining games, Brennan is on pace to complete 395 of 538 passes (73.4 percent) for 4,810 yards, 42 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. With the exception of completion percentage, which is up very slightly, all of those numbers fall way short of Brennan's 2006 totals. Forty-two touchdowns? Please. Last year it was fifty-eight. Pick it up, man. An Arbitrary Mid-Major Top 10
This is more of a power poll.
- - -
1. Hawaii (6-0) - By default until the Warriors lose. Record of teams defeated: 8-28, including I-AA Charleston Southern (3-3) and Northern Colorado (0-6). Idaho is 1-5; Utah State is languishing at 0-6. Hard to argue with 54 points per game, though, when the competition is sitting on at least one loss already.
2. Boise State (4-1) - Absolutely devastated New Mexico State in the defensive performance of the weekend and maybe the season: the high-flying Aggies, who entered Sunday night averaging 341 yards passing and 28 points, were held to 89 total yards in a shutout on the blue turf. The Friday finale in the islands in November looks relevant again after three straight impressive Bronco wins since the loss at Washington.
3. Wyoming (4-1) - One of those wins was over Wyoming, the only Cowboy setback to date for a team that's crushed Virginia and held on against preseason MWC overlord TCU. The Moore-Seldon backfield combo will get most of the headlines, to the extent there are headlines about Wyoming, but the defense is currently eighth in the country in yards allowed.
4. Troy (4-2) - Won four straight, one of them a wipeout of not-terrible-after-all Oklahoma State. The losses were big, but came against Arkansas and Florida, and the offense is topping 500 yards per game in the meantime.
5. BYU (3-2) - Passing numbers are actually up with Max Hall, and the Cougars are the MWC favorite (Wyoming notwithstanding; they play Nov. 17) after two straight wins.
6. UTEP (4-2) - The Miners dropped back-to-back games in September to Texas Tech and, less excusably, New Mexico State, but have rebounded to win three straight shootouts and have relatively good value in a defensive win (10-6) over New Mexico in the opener. The best team in C-USA? Probably not when it's said and done, but took a major step to winning the West by outlasting Tulsa. If you're worried about the defense, which is, in fact, terrible (114th in total D), remember: nobody in this league can play defense.
7. Air Force (4-2) - The Falcons stopped a two-game slide by walloping UNLV. A game back in the Mountain West standings and further in perception after losing to BYU by 25 two weeks ago.
8. East Carolina (3-3) - Loss to Southern Miss is beginning to look inexcusable, but the Pirates' other losses are at Virginia Tech (close) and West Virginia (big) and ECU has beaten North Carolina and the two C-USA rivals in the best position to challenge for this spot, Central Florida and Houston, which have also both played well against top 20 teams.
9. Central Florida (3-2) - Hanging on to beat NC State in the opener isn't worth much, as the Wolfpack drop to 1-4, and it's actually playing Texas to the hilt that makes up for allowing 52 last week to ECU. Kevin Smith is a terror of a running back.
10. New Mexico (3-2) - This should say something about the current sorry state of mid-majordom: the Lobos' claim to fame is beating Arizona and then New Mexico State, despite allowing 581 yards total offense to the latter. Make-or-break game this Saturday at Wyoming.
83e94fc1-77e5-4cc3-90f0-8ee47f581651.jpg

Loss, no loss, everything's still coming up Boise.
- - -

Coming Up
Optimism in the week ahead.
- - -
Mid-week Madness!!! The real madness Wednesday is the bizarre decision by an actual longtime BCS program, Pittsburgh, to play in the middle of the week - especially given its Thursday beatdowns against West Virginia the last two years - against another, less speedy option team, Navy. Game's on ESPN, features the flexbone and should repeatedly display one relentless mustache in a fight for its host lip's survival in its chosen career.
Best Game: I would consider Nevada at Boise State on Sunday night if the Pack hadn't been waxed by BSU at home last year (or if it hadn't somehow lost Saturday despite gaining 700 yards against Fresno State, so I'll stick with a serious rubber match in Conference USA: East Carolina at UTEP. No preseason hype followed either, but both have found new, young quarterbacks who will put up ungodly numbers against ghastly defenses - remember: there is no `D' anywhere in C-USA - in a possible championship preview. No TV.
Most Realistic Upset: A couple good options here, beginning with TCU over Stanford - you don't think the Cardinal are going to beat two teams in the preseason top 25 in back-to-back weeks, do you? - and Central Florida visiting South Florida. Florida Atlantic made waves against the Bulls last week, a sign that a) USF will be really pissed and on a rampage or b) USF's soft underbelly was exposed. The Knights are a potentially high-scoring team (32 points against Texas, 56, 37, 38 since), which is not up the Bulls' alley. Most Inevitably Gruesome Blowout: Everyone is vulnerable, of course, we know that, but Ohio State, at home against a Kent State team that's lost in the last three weeks to Akron and Miami, Ohio, is probably less vulnerable than, say, any other team in the nation Saturday. Not for sure - nothing, nothing is for sure, especially for a team like OSU that can have the tendency to roll up into an ultra-conservative ball when not feeling threatened - but probably.

It's Official: Dorrell Destroys Ben Olson's Career at UCLA
By Nestor Section: Football
Posted on Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 09:41:34 PM EDT
</I>

From Dohn's blog: This is from UCLA. QB Ben Olson will have surgery on his left knee.
UCLA quarterback Ben Olson has a partial tear of the lateral collateral ligament in his left knee. As a precaution, Olson will have an arthroscopy on his left knee on Tuesday to check for a possible tear of the lateral meniscus (cartilage). An estimate on his return will not be known until after the procedure.
From the department of "I told you sos (as I bang my head against the wall)" here is once again from snipets of a BN post from last Feb, when Dorrell announced the hiring of offensive line coach Bob Connelly:
Bob Connelly has to go. It's unthinkable that a coach working with BCS league talent can't have his players more prepared to play the game than he does. Injuries and inexperience are only excuses for so long, and there's no way any other major football program would stand for it's O-Line giving up 11 sacks in one game like we did in the Iron Bowl. JP is a tough kid, but he's taken way too many hits already and at some point he's going to get hurt having to scramble for his life nearly every down.
That was from our friends at Roll Bama Roll, Crimson Tide bloggers who also shared this on Connelly:
"Fire offensive line coach Bob Connelly. It is incredible how many times Bama's QB has been sacked in the last two years. Even if they aren't getting sacked, they're running for the their lives almost every passing play (which begs the question, why don't we use the shotgun more?)"
Tell me once again why should KD be allowed to risk Chris Forcier's career by having him play behind a Connelly coached offensive line that "can't block a soul"?

GO BRUINS.

Pictures from TTech v. A&M in Lubbock in 2001.

Otherwise known as the "Attack of the GAP Kid" when TTech fans took down their goalpost and marched it into the A&M section where Aggy was Aggy and decided that they would fight these kids.

View attachment 9141

View attachment 9142

View attachment 9143

View attachment 9144

Then Aggy decided to fuck, er, attack their tormentors.

View attachment 9140

http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8DSRsieiGWg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8DSRsieiGWg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mizzou's Temple questionable for OU

Posted: Monday October 8, 2007 9:37PM; Updated: Monday October 8, 2007 9:37PM

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Missouri may be without its leading rusher Saturday when the 11th-ranked Tigers play No. 6 Oklahoma, coach Gary Pinkel said Monday.
Tony Temple, a two-year starter for Missouri (5-0, 1-0 Big 12), sprained an ankle in Saturday's 41-6 win over Nebraska. He won't practice until Wednesday or Thursday, and a decision on his availability for the Oklahoma game will be made later this week.
"We've seen ankle injuries linger on," Pinkel said. "We can know by Thursday that he's not even going, or he might go on the trip and it'll be a game-day decision."
Temple had three carries for minus-2 yards and a reception for 20 yards against the Cornhuskers before getting hurt on a drive that ended with a Jeff Wolfert field goal that put Missouri up 17-3 with 5:28 left in the second quarter. Temple is averaging 70 yards per game with three touchdowns on the season.
Temple's backup, Jimmy Jackson, has 12 carries for 62 yards this season. Freshman Derrick Washington has played in three games and is averaging nearly five yards per carry.

Truly Beautiful

Watching the Illini victory over Wisconsin, the word that most often came to mind was "beautiful." And now that I've come down (slightly) from the orange euphoria that accompanied our first win over a top-5 team in decades, let me explain.
  • A (Heisman-caliber?) running game. Rashard Mendenhall did it all: rushing, receiving, options, 3 TDs, and he was impressive. And so was the O-line that opened holes and blocked the edge so he could get around. Oh, and Mendenhall earned his second ESPN College Game Day helmet sticker. Beautiful.
  • Benn. He doesn't go down when the first guy hits him (unless he wants to -- because of pain). Sometimes he doesn't go when the second, third or fourth guys do, either. After one reception, he eluded several tackles for a couple more yards before finally dancing out of bounds. Another long reception showed pure determination, avoiding a potential interception. Beautiful.
  • QB rushing. Juice handed off and threw, and then, when least expected by the Badger defense, he took off for key rushing gains. And when he hyper-extended his knee, Eddie McGee followed Juice's footsteps and ran for a TD. Beautiful.
  • Rock-solid, reliable Jason Reda. Beautiful.
  • Rush defense. J Leman and company kept P.J. Hill from gaining momentum until well into the second half. Hill struggled to get more than 4 yards a carry during the first half, and was often wrapped up at the line of scrimmage. Beautiful.
  • I will say that pass defense could improve, which is true, but I can't forget several hard hits to would-be receivers that caused incomplete passes, two interceptions (and one almost-interception that freakishly ended up landing on Beckum's stomach), Swann leaving the game and times when Donovan was hit as he threw. Beautiful.
  • Freshman Martez Wilson running down Donovan in the open field for a loss of yards. Beautiful.
  • The surprising stat of the day. Since trailing big and losing to (now #11) Missouri in the final seconds of our first game, Illinois has trailed opponents by a total of 13 seconds. That's how long it takes Benn to run 90 yards through the heart of the Penn State kick coverage unit. Beautiful.
We have come a long way under Zook. There are many areas for improvement (punting, pass completions, turnovers -- we were lucky this week that potential fumbles slipped out of bounds), but looking at the Big Ten and our schedule, we are in good shape. Provided Zook's boys stay healthy and hungry for success, they can easily blow away my expectations for a .500 season. In fact, I'm already thinking about potential destinations for a post-Christmas vacation...

UNC's Davis Losing Sleep Over South Carolina

Posted Oct 9th 2007 2:22PM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: UNC Football, ACC, SEC, BCS, South Carolina Football, NCAA FB Coaching
77212094(2).jpg
Check your calendars, folks: New Jack Swing's only coming back at VH1 awards shows and a win over South Carolina, as opposed to Miami, is a program-maker. So while it was certainly a surprise to see North Carolina dash out to a 27-point lead that they would not relinquish against the Hurricanes, Butch Davis can really make a statement about his own team and the ACC's ability to hang with the SEC in places other than the Music City Bowl with a win against South Carolina this weekend.

As a matter of fact, Davis regressed from his usual press conference statements to genuflect on Spurrier, saying that they're gameplanning 10-20% more than usual. I imagine this quantifies that Steve Spurrier is 120% of the head coach that Al Groh or Randy Shannon is, but that's neither here nor there;
They spent time together at the Senior Bowl when Spurrier was with the Washington Redskins and Davis was coaching the Cleveland Browns. So Davis knows him well enough to be concerned about how Spurrier will try to confuse the inexperienced Tar Heels.

"There's less sleep this week than last week," Davis said. "You have to cover so many bases."
I don't know about you, but the memory of Kelly Holcomb and Patrick Ramsey is exactly what it takes to get my blood a-boilin' for pigskin excitement. Okay...so they're proving they might be the better USC in 2007. And a loss to juggernaut LSU aside, they've got impressive show n prove wins against UK and UGA. It's certainly going to be tough going for UNC, whose biggest strength (they've really aired it out thus far) is likely to be negated by the Gamecocks' top-ranked pass defense.

But as much as UNC has become enamored with Davis, can they really withstand this considering Spurrier gives a top-25 vote to Duke every year?

If you're like me, the Akron win over WMU seemed a bit weird. Well, here's what happened, which is crazy but explains alot.

YouTubesDay: The Kalamazoo Kalamity

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball by Brian Cook
<INS class=item-body>Filed under: MAC, Akron Football, Western Michigan Football
This promises to be the only post in Fanhouse history categorized both "Akron Football" and "Western Michigan Football," so drink up.

It's not exactly the Music City Miracle, but it's not half bad:

</EMBED>http://<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kypnW0FaYY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kypnW0FaYY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That was the final play of Akron's 39-38 victory over Western Michigan, and it might go down as the finest completely unplanned cluster... uh... bomb of a final play since Cal-Stanford, since there's no way any of that stuff was thought out in any way. Also, it provides a definitive answer to "what obscure collegiate radio crew is the most biased in all the land?"

</INS>

Limas Sweed’s Out For the Year, Done at Texas

limas-sweed-portrait.jpg

In some sad news, it looks like Limas Sweed will undergo wrist surgery, effectively ending his season and career at Texas. After evaluating Sweed’s wrist after the game, the medical staff decided that Sweed was just in too much pain to continue playing football.
“We’ve been very fortunate to have Limas for the past four years,” Brown said. “He’s made a lot of great plays and had a record-setting career at Texas. Limas is a fine young man who has been a tremendous representative of our program on and off the field. We appreciate everything he did to try to help the team this year, but since he is in such intense pain, he cannot continue to play. He will stay involved helping us and supporting the team even though he won’t be able to play, but since he keeps re-aggravating this injury, it’s important that he gets it fixed because he has a bright future in the NFL.”
I wonder, if Texas was 6-0 and not 4-2, would the recommendation from the medical staff be a little different. I am not trying to say that Sweed’s injury is not serious, but winning sure can make things feel better.

This Week's Vegas Oddsmakers' Top 25/30

</MTWEBLOGPOSTIFSHOW>As always, featuring 30 teams and the not-to-be-contested wisdom of Las Vegas Sports Consultants, which tells you which college teams are the best, scoreboard and polls be damned. As mentioned last week, this is turning into a banner season for Vegas to stick by its convictions, never mind results on the field. You can have your Hawaii-South Florida BCS game; Vegas and I will take Oklahoma and Southern Cal, thanks very much. But to be more serious, why is the AP gonna punish Florida for that loss AT the consensus No. 1 team in the country while rewarding South Florida for beating the Florida School of Hair Design? Ditto with Texas. No fair.
Biggest frauds, according to Vegas: The usual suspects. Cincinnati, Kentucky and Illinois are all ranked 10 spots too high by the AP. South Florida is ranked nine spots too high. Boston College is ranked six spots too high.
Biggest sleepers, according to Vegas: There are many, and not only from the power conferences. BYU, for example, is ranked 18 spots too low by the AP. Penn State is ranked 18 spots too low. Michigan is ranked 12 spots too low. Texas is ranked 10 spots too low. Southern Cal is ranked eight spots too low. Florida is ranked seven spots too low, and Florida State is ranked six spots too low. Also, Arkansas should at least be receiving votes.
Vegas looked smart when: Vegas said South Carolina should handle overrated Kentucky; the Spurriers did so, fairly easily. Vegas was a bit higher on Florida than the AP; the Gators nearly pulled off a win at LSU. Vegas never gave up on Penn State, and was rewarded with a nice enough win. Vegas still liked Georgia Tech, and but for that holding penalty, things should have worked out for the Jackets. Vegas fave Florida State won again.
Vegas looked dumb when: UCLA. UCLA. UCLA. Yuck. Vegas darling Arizona State was also disappointing. Vegas thoroughly expected Rutgers to take care of Cincinnati; er, nope. Oh, and Vegas had Southern Cal as the No. 1 team in the country. Whoops.
Games to watch: Vegas is higher on Michigan and lower on Purdue than the AP; expect the Mike Harts to roll. Vegas is higher on Penn State and lower on Wisconsin than the AP; go Derrick Williams. Vegas has LSU crushing Kentucky. And Vegas certainly thinks Arkansas will give Auburn a game; the AP apparently gave Arkansas zero votes.
Numbers after the jump. AP rankings in parentheses.

1. LSU (1)
2. Southern Cal (10)
3. Oklahoma (6)
4. Ohio State (3)
5. West Virginia (8)
6. Florida (13)
7. California (2)
8. Oregon (9)
9. Missouri (11)
10. Boston College (4)
11. South Carolina (7)
12. Arizona State (14)
13. Texas (23)
14. South Florida (5)
15t. Florida State (21)
15t. Virginia Tech (12)
17. Hawaii (16)
18. Michigan (30)
19t. Penn State (37t)
19t. Kansas (20)
21t. Auburn (22)
21t. Arkansas (NR)
23t. Georgia (24)
23t. Wisconsin (19)
25t. Brigham Young (43)
25t. Cincinnati (15)
27. Kentucky (17)
28. Illinois (18)
29. Texas Tech (31)
30. Purdue (28)
Not ranked: Tennessee (25th by AP).

Wisconsin Loses Luke Swan For Season

Posted Oct 9th 2007 2:26PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Wisconsin Football, Big 10, NCAA FB Injuries
luke-swan-out.jpg
The Wisconsin Badgers didn't just lose a game on Saturday in Champaign, it turns out they've lost wide receiver Luke Swan as well.

Swan was injured after making a catch late in the game. After jumping into the air to make the grab, Swan came down and landed awkwardly, doing a split that made every man at home cringe simultaneously. It turns out Swan tore his hamstring thanks to the landing, and is done for the year.
Wisconsin wide receiver Luke Swan will miss the rest of the season because of a torn hamstring and is scheduled for surgery Wednesday.

"Luke is a great kid," coach Bret Bielema said Monday. "It was a hard day yesterday. It is tough for everybody."
Swan is a fifth year senior that currently leads all of the Badgers receivers with 25 catches and 451 yards, so the former walk on will be missed. Yes, the Badgers still have Travis Beckum at tight end who currently leads all Badgers with 485 receiving yards, but the loss of Swan will hurt him as well.

Now opponents can focus their coverage schemes to stop Beckum and not have to worry about covering Swan as well. Swan's injury will also effect P.J. Hill, who himself was banged up in the loss to the Illini. Don't be surprised when you see a lot more eight man fronts from opposing defenses as teams dare Tyler Donovan to beat them.

Granted, that's been the case for most opponents already, but without Swan it's going to be even tougher for the Badgers to move the ball consistently.

LIFE ON THE MARGINS, WEEK SIX
By SMQ
Posted on Tue Oct 09, 2007 at 12:21:48 PM EDT
</I>

Weekly obsessing over statistical anomalies and fringe idiosyncracies. Don’t get carried away by these scores from last weekend...
(As always, click here for a definition of 'Swing points')
Presumed Notre Dame fan “Dickey” watched the Irish’s first win Saturday night and saw his team’s glorious performance coming for scrutiny a mile away. So he launched what I think amounts to, through a fog of irony, a preemptive salvo in defense of his team:
  • SMQ, you rule, and your "Life on the Margins" segment is the best you've ever done. As an ND fan, I've wistfully read it each week, wondering why we couldn't get the breaks of those "margin winner" guys. I'll tell you what, I can't wait to read Tuesday's "Life on the Margins: How a +6 turnover margin and a defensive TD and a 3 yrd TD drive finally allowed ND to win." So yeah, some Catholics may call you a heretic a few days from now when you reduce ND's first victory in 9 games to some random gift of the heathen Gods. But my personal religious beliefs ask "Why did it take so many games for us to face an overmatched walk-on at QB? Also, why doesn't USC lay these kinds of turds against us?" Well, I guess that's a question for the Heathen Gods (your Gods.) I'll see you in Hell. I keep a seat "warm" for you.
    - - -
Re: the religious imagery, I’m reminded of the opening of the fourth Psalm:
  • Answer me when I call, God of my righteousness. Give me relief from my distress. Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer. You sons of men, how long shall my glory be turned into dishonor?
    - - -
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #a44a4a"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Notre Dame</TD><TD align=middle>UCLA</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Total Offense</TD><TD align=middle>140</TD><TD align=middle>282</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>1st Downs</TD><TD align=middle>12</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Play</TD><TD align=middle>2.1</TD><TD align=middle>3.8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Yds./Possession</TD><TD align=middle>10.0</TD><TD align=middle>20.8</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Turnovers</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>7</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Swing Points</TD><TD align=middle>+17</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Final Score: Notre Dame 20, UCLA 6
- - -
To be very clear (again) all victory is glory and all defeat dishonor. Neither is not bestowed by gods, heathen or otherwise; they are won and lost on a certain set of action, merit and mistakes. Luck is merit (albeit shortlived, which is really the point).

At the same time, it would be a dishonor to the truth to suggest this win portends any sort of turnaround for the Irish. The offensive life it showed in the second half with Evan Sharpley in the lineup at Purdue was completely absent with Clausen, who led an attack that averaged one first down and a punt on 13 non-half-killing possessions, went three-and-out five times and mounted scoring drives of -1, 29 and 2 yards, all after UCLA turnovers. The longest drive of the night was 44 yards, beginning at the Irish 2, and ended in a punt. Certain patterns are more telling than freakish events, and this obvious patterns of futility over more than 130 plays not only dominated this night, but perfectly aligns with what we’ve come to know andexpect of the nation’s 118th-ranked scoring offense and the least productive total offense of the decade.
3bb54add-176f-421b-9823-3097f5d25abe.jpg

Game of inches, etc.
- - -
Turnovers themselves are usually freakish events in the large scheme, but what was exceptionally freakish about the Bruins’ seven giveaways was the personnel circumstances under which they were committed: UCLA lost its starting quarterback and pressed a third-string walk-on into duty, who proceeded to lose 28 yards and a fumble on his first two possessions and throw five interceptions – to accompany another pair of team fumbles – over his last eight. McLeod Bethel-Thompson was an utter disaster, and, given his walk-on status and the fact that apparently is not an option to play against Washington in two weeks despite ongoing injury issues at the position, might be the worst major college quarterback to see the field this season. Maybe in a number of seasons. In terms of decision-making – UCLA coaches couldn’t pull Bethel-Thompson because they had no third option with Patrick Cowan injured going into the game, then called ill-fated passes for their overmatched underdog in short yardage and goal-to-go situations – and personnel (L.A. managed just 89 yards against a defense allowing more than 200 per game on the ground through its first five games, a number depressed by five sacks), there is a lot more to wail about in regards to the big picture from the Bruin perspectvie than to feel good about if you’re ND.

The Irish did a few things better, namely protecting the quarterback (the Irish had been giving up six sacks per game through the first five, worst in the nation, so the three L.A. logged Saturday was a drastic improvement), which helped eliminate turnovers. Congratulations is in order for not matching the devastating mistakes of a Division II level quarterback on the other side. Now if ND can actually move the ball and score points and stuff, it’ll be on its way.
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #a44a4a"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Stanford</TD><TD align=middle>Southern Cal</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Total Offense</TD><TD align=middle>235</TD><TD align=middle>459</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>1st Downs</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>19</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Play</TD><TD align=middle>3.4</TD><TD align=middle>5.8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Yds./Possession</TD><TD align=middle>19.5</TD><TD align=middle>32.8</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Turnovers</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Swing Points</TD><TD align=middle>+7</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Final Score: Stanford 24, USC 23
- - -
Stanford did a few really laudable things to win this game: first, down 9-0 with USC looking at 4th-and-goal from the Cardinal one, Stanford’s defense held; in the second half, when the Trojans hit a long touchdown to Ronald Johnson to re-establish a two-score lead that could have broken the game open, Stanford responded with a 75-yard touchdown march. When SC came back with an 86-yard scoring drive in the fourth quarter, Stanford went 61 yards for a field goal that cut the game to six. The Cardinal then managed to convert two fourth downs for the late go-ahead score. Backs against the wall, Harbaugh’s team repeatedly fought out of the situation and hung around until it finally gained an opening for the kill. This is what underdogs have to do.
It’s obvious, though, that prior to John David Booty’s finger injury, SC had the game in hand pretty much to the extent everyone expected. Stanford had 50 total yards in the first half and six straight punts; USC had three different drives longer than 50 yards in its first six. I don’t want to make too much of the infamous finger, especially since coaches are responsible for getting the guy out if they think his injury is hurting his play (Pete Carroll didn’t think so, or said he didn’t think so). Conquest Chronicles may be right the deciding “margin” play here, the turning point, was USC 4th-and-1 attempt at the end of the first half rather than Stanford’s momentum-grabbing interception return or either of the fourth down plays on the final drive (though those all qualify). If USC scores at the end of that drive (11 plays, 51 yards to that point) and goes up 16-0 at the half, Stanford is effectively out of the game – the Cardinal simply couldn’t move the ball until its final three possessions, after the interception return a few plays earlier had created the much-needed spark.
I like Stanford’s fight in this game, as bad as the Cardinal have been the last two years and as easy as it would have been for it to lay down when SC went up 16-7 and then 23-14 late in the game. But if SC can just hang on to the ball – not an unreasonable request for the rest of the season – the great bulk of this game was exactly what you’d expect from USC-Stanford.
What we have to ask about USC: is stacking against the run the template for downing the Trojans? Stanford limited SC to 95 on the ground and reaped the benefits – despite also giving up a pair of bombs that hurt the effort –of putting the game on Booty’s shoulders.
<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #a44a4a"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Oklahoma State</TD><TD align=middle>Texas A&M</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Total Offense</TD><TD align=middle>459</TD><TD align=middle>368</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>1st Downs</TD><TD align=middle>23</TD><TD align=middle>19</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Play</TD><TD align=middle>6.8</TD><TD align=middle>5.8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Yds./Possession</TD><TD align=middle>45.9</TD><TD align=middle>30.6</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Turnovers</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Swing Points</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>+7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Final Score: Texas A&M 24, Oklahoma State 23
- - -
A&M’s defense was rocked all over the place: OSU’s five scoring drives covered 89, 71, 57, 75 and 81yards, and the Cowboys balanced the damage running (200 yards) and passing (259). TAMU couldn’t stop them.
But, as the cliche goes, the Aggies did contain them, mainly by forcing and itself engaging in long, time-consuming drives that limited the number of opportunities that explosive offense had to explode – OSU scored on 50 percent of its possessions, but had just ten of them, where TAMU scored 36 percent of the time on 11 drives; with even one more possession, that ratio favors OSU, even if it is kicking field goals – and jumping on the game’s one big mistake, an OK State fumble in the third quarter that set up a quick, 17-yard touchdown drive for A&M. The Aggie offense didn’t really come alive until that point, after which it took its first two drives of the fourth quarter 80 and 61 yards for touchdowns, not field goals, and then ran the final three minutes off the clock in a mere five snaps.
Time of advantage ultimately favored Oklahoma State, but the pace – a few long, sustained drives – dramatically favored Texas A&M, which staggered through the entire first half and still had a chance to rebound from 17 points down in the second. Notes
- - -
Fresno State’s 49-41 win at Nevada has one of the most bizarre stat lines of the year, with the Wolpack earning twice as many first downs (30 to FSU’s 15), outgaining the Bulldogs by 227 yards (702-475) and coming out even in turnover margin. Fresno scored two special teams touchdowns, on a punt return and a blocked punt return. On the face, those are classic “should have won” numbers, but on closer look, Nevada got what was coming to it, mainly for allowing more than nine yards per snap to the FSU offense (Nevada averaged a little over seven per play). Fresno’s Ryan Matthews averaged 12.2 on 14 carries and scored three times, once on a 67-yard run, while Lonyae Miller broke a 72-yarder that accounted for most of his 95 yards on the ground. The yardage difference is explainable mainly in the disparity in offensive plays, 89 for Nevada to just 51 for Fresno, a result of the special teams touchdowns and the Bulldogs’ quick scores, but Fresno was better than the Pack in the little time it did have the ball. In no way did Nevada “outplay” FSU.

Dorrell, UCLA QBs are MIA

Posted Oct 9th 2007 12:57PM by Scott Olin Schmidt
Filed under: UCLA Football, Pac 10, NCAA FB Injuries, Los Angeles
karl-dorrell-180.jpg
If anyone is having a rougher week than USC head coach Pete Carroll, it is UCLA coach Karl Dorrell. While Carroll was taking accountability for the Trojans' loss to Stanford with alumni on Monday, the Bruin head coach went into hiding.

According to the Los Angeles Times, " Requests to interview Dorrell on Monday night were turned away with the explanation that he could not be located."

If we were Dorrell, we'd go into hiding, too. His starting quarterback Ben Olson has been lost for the season with a knee injury. Backup Pat Cowan was already sidelined with a similar injury.

When Olson went down against winless Notre Dame, Dorrell was faced with three bad choices--play walkon McLeod Bethel-Thomspon, switch Osaar Rasshan back to the quarterback position he played for his first two years in Westwood or take the red shirt off of highly-touted frosh Chris Forcier.

If Cowan cannot recover in time for the Bruins' October 20 matchup with California, Dorrell will have to make the same decision again--and have some explaining to do if he diverts from the course chosen against the Irish.

What's Wrong With Georgia?

Posted Oct 9th 2007 11:51AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Georgia Football, Tennessee Football, SEC
matt_stafford_keg_2.jpg
Quietly, carefully, and discreetly, Georgia has been slipping under the waves in 2007.

Lucky for the Dawgs that 2007 has been such a weird and wacky season, or else maybe someone would have noticed.

Georgia dropped their pants in Neyland Stadium, losing 35-14 to the Volunteers. One of the TDs was in garbage time, so let there be no doubt that this was total domination by Tennessee.

Third Saturday in Blogtober asks, "How far has the UGA program fallen?" and answers its own question: "TOO DAGUM FAR FOR ME."
In four straight quarters, uga was outscored 65-9 by Tennessee. wanna know the score over the last 6 quarters? 86-23, Coach Richt, can i interview your Defensive Coordinator for a head coaching job?
UGA is now 0-6 against Eastern Division teams dating back to a win at SC in 06.
the dawg nation is depending on a KEG QB to lead them to victories. not only does he drink from a KEG, he looks and plays like a keg.
WRs can't catch and haven't been able to since Richt took over for DONNAN. SEE Reggie Brown, SEE Terrance Edwards, SEE Fred Gibson, SEE Tripp Chandler, SEE Martrez Milner.
since the departure of David Pollack, David Green and DJ Shockley, UGA has dropped to a lower level SEC team.
Critics of this post may throw out the argument, hey get off their back, UGA is a "young team". RECRUITING is for reloading, not rebuilding. I'm tired of hearing the "young argument". THAT is bologna!!!
Critics may also throw out, hey UGA beat a good Auburn team, so did Mississippi St.
Critics may also throw out, hey UGA beat Alabama at Bryant-Denny, so did Mississippi St.
After Georgia's win over Oklahoma State, I theorized that maybe, just maybe, Stafford was the best QB in the SEC. Uh, yeah, never mind about all of that. BAD call.

What do I see? A soft team. Receivers that can't catch. Poor blocking and tackling.

Coaches, what's up? You've got the talent. Why can't they compete?

Football Players to be Suspended
By Mike Section: News
Posted on Tue Oct 09, 2007 at 11:13:24 AM EDT
</I>

The good news just keeps flowing like sewage to the treatment plant. Apparently there was a fight on campus at the HUB last Saturday night. Laschout.com is reporting several football players were involved including Chris Bell and Knowledge Timmons. I can't wait for the details from this to come out.
Can someone please take control of this team? Where are the captains? Where is the leadership? I wish I could say the coaches need to buckle down on them, but how can you expect the players to act like gentlemen when the head coach is supposedly running innocent people off the road in his vehicle because they are driving too slow? This entire season is a complete disaster. RUTS is right, there is absolutely nothing I like about this team. They had all the promise in the world and they are throwing it away with their drinking and fighting on Saturday nights.
Pack it in for 2007 folks. This program needs to be purged. Any player or coach that causes another disturbance needs to be booted from the team. That includes the guy at the top. We cannot stand for this. I would rather lose with dignity than win with this. I am calling on the University and coaches to weed out the bad apples right now. I don't care if we only have 60 guys on scholarship next year. We cannot have this type of team if we hope to achieve the goals we all set for this program. Is it basketball season yet?

Midseason Review: Running Backs

by HornsFan Tue Oct 09, 2007 at 09:53:08 AM EDT

We continue our midseason positional reviews with a look at Texas' tailbacks.
<INS>Statistics</INS>
rbstats.bmp

<INS>Overview</INS>
There's an ancient Chinese proverb which says: "He who does not protect his goods should not expect more goods in the future."
Okay, I definitely made that up, but if there were an ancient Chinese proverb about goods protection, I'd be using it to note Jamaal Charles' killer fumble problems. The trouble dates back to last season and, perhaps not coincidentally, the beginning of Texas' current four game conference losing streak. Charles put the ball on the ground late in the game against Kansas State just as Texas seemed to be wrestling back control of the contest. (Or, if you prefer, two games before that, to Lubbock, where Charles lost two fumbles and Texas barely escaped with a 35-31 comeback win.)
In the 2007 opener, Charles fumbled against Arkansas State, though the replay officials reviewed the play and ruled him down. Charles then coughed up two fumbles against Central Florida, enabling the Knights to hang around a game Texas should have won comfortably. And then, of course, there was Saturday's disastrous turnover on the one-yard line versus Oklahoma. On the opening drive of the third quarter, Texas marched down the field and was in terrific shape to take a 21-14 lead. Charles was given the ball on the five, had a clear path to the end zone, was hit by a diving linebacker at the one, and had to watch helplessly as the ball squirted away. The Sooners recovered and won by a touchdown.
Some fumbles are a matter of misfortune, but the best running backs fumble infrequently because of the way they protect the ball. It's a skill like any other, and Charles hasn't developed it yet. He must, if he wants to reach his full potential. There's simply no room in the gameplan for a tailback who can't protect the footbal.
Vondrell McGee has impressed in his limited role this year, including a wowing performance to close out the Rice game. Currently, he's being used only in goal line situations, a usage pattern which will be discussed in the next section.
Chris Ogbonnaya has proven not to be much of a rushing threat, but he's a superb blocker and pass catcher. Antwaan Cobb has done a very nice job as fullback; if Texas evolves into a team running more I-Formation sets, Cobb will be a fine player to use in that role.
<INS>Adjustments</INS>
At what point does Charles' fumbling cost him playing time? And at what point do the coaches, like with John Chiles, decide it's time to see what they have with Vondrell McGee?
This isn't to say that Charles isn't a useful player. Or even that he's not a damn good player. He is both. This is just elementary personnel management. Honestly, one has to wonder just how much mental damage the Simms-Applewhite debacle did to Mack Brown. He's been protective of starters ever since, mortified to use the young kids with upside, embracing an "avoid controversy at all costs" attitude about personnel decisions.
Unfortunately, that's a reactionary attitude. One gets the impression that Mack Brown has grown so sensitive to the fickle media and Texas fan base that he's decided to dig in his heels and just Do Things His Way. Most of his ways are things which benefit the team and the program, but this resistance to using creatively and generously his young talent has become - ironically - controversial.
There is not only the question about whether limiting the young kids' touches hurts the overall performance of the team, there is the question of whether it will begin to have an effect in recruiting. It hasn't so far, but the recruiting world is a bizarre, crazy, ever-changing one. There's nothing which guarantees young kids will forever look past the likelihood that they won't be featured for 2-3 years.
Mack's done a fabulous job getting guys like Jamaal Charles and Vondrell McGee to Texas. He's done a fabulous job of creating a program that has enough talent to compete for big prizes pretty much year in and year out. But he's become needlessly defensive and over-protective about some of these tougher questions. At $3 million per annum, that won't do. The best and the brightest are fluid with what they do. They learn from mistakes and seek outside criticism to help improve.
Admittedly, this is a damn abstract way to talk about adjustments in the running game. But the problems with this program right now have much more to do with what's happening in the coaches' heads than what they players are capable of on the field. There's no use talking around it. Even if they aren't listening.

Illini players insist on practicing

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1191968132677&lmt=1191968132&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1191968132677&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fillinois%2F007202.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=834816700.1182524384&ga_sid=1191968132&ga_hid=1119019701&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
After a physical, upset win over #5 Wisconsin, Illinois head coach Ron Zook made an offer to his players: Take a day off. You know, recoup... maybe go barefoot water skiing or just chill at the crib.
The answer from the Illini players? No way coach, let's practice.
"I talked to the team about giving them a break,'' Zook said. "This was obviously a big game, and I was thinking about taking Monday off. All of them said, 'No.' They're hungry. Maybe they were caught up in the moment, but it shows they're hungry.''​
You really have to marvel at what Zook is creating at Illinois. He has signed some amazing recruiting classes, he has committed recruits driving into town just to be in the stands for games, and his team has won five in a row. You really get the sense that the Tribe has bought into what Zook is selling.
"You can see it in the locker room that everyone just believes now,'' receiver Kyle Hudson said. "Every time we go out, we think we can win the game.''​
If I haven't said it enough, let me just get it out one more time. Florida did what it felt it had to do. The Gators have risen to the top with Meyer, but you really can't say enough good things about Ron Zook.
Watch out Big 10 - here comes the Tribe.

UNR: Graziano goes under the knife
Dan Hinxman (DHINXMAN@RGJ.COM)
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
October 8, 2007

Nevada quarterback Nick Graziano underwent surgery on his right foot Monday, and head coach Chris Ault said he would not be able to return to practice until next spring at the earliest.
“He’s getting operated on as we speak,” Ault said around noon Monday at the Quarterback’s Club luncheon at the Peppermill Hotel-Casino. “He’ll be in a boot for six weeks and out of commission for about four months.

“He blew up the tendon on the top of his foot. It was a freak deal. You could see his foot twist as he went down, and the kid just fell on it. It wasn’t a bad shot or anything, just one of those freak deals. It’s a shame, there’s no question about it. He’s such a great kid, whether he’s playing or not, he’s just a great young man to have around.”

Graziano, a sophomore who redshirted in 2005, was injured when he tried to scramble in the second quarter of the Wolf Pack’s 49-41 loss to Fresno State on Saturday at Mackay Stadium. Bulldogs Tyler Clutts and Jon Monga sacked him for a three-yard loss, and Graziano got up gingerly and jogged off the field with a noticeable limp.

Redshirt freshman Colin Kaepernick replaced Graziano and played superbly, completing 23-of-36 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns. He also rushed 12 times for 60 yards and another score.

“The thing I appreciated about (Kaepernick), you know, that’s a tough situation to go into,” Ault said, referring to the Pack trailing, 14-6, when Kaepernick took over. “When Graz went down, I said, ‘Do you see what we’re trying to do now?,’ and he said, ‘Yeah, Coach, I understand.’ (I said) ‘Here’s your checks and here’s your audibles.’
“I’ve got to tell you this, the last kid that I had that did that was Chris Vargas.”

Vargas, a quarterback at Nevada from 1990-93 who ranks fourth all-time in passing yards and fifth in passing touchdowns, is considered to have gotten the most out of his ability because of his cerebral approach.

“Not only did this guy play outstanding — his stats were phenomenal — but he really checked us into some great plays,” Ault said. “The show is his, and we’re not backing off, we’re not changing the offense. We are going to throw the football.”

Kaepernick finished with 444 yards of total offense. Coincidentally, the record for a freshman was set by Nevada’s David Neill, 582, in 1998. The Pack ran up 702 total yards of offense. The record is 1,021, set by Houston in 1989. The record for most yards gained by a losing team is 791, set by Nevada in a 64-45 loss to San Jose State in 2001.

Ault said true freshman Luke Collis would move to second-team quarterback.
“(Collis) is very similar to both these guys,” Ault said, comparing him with Kaepernick and Graziano. “He’s a strong football player, strong arm, commanding presence. We wanted to redshirt him, but I told him the other day, ‘It may be all over now. I may have to pop that bubble, and you might have to be ready to go.’”

Dogs RB Brown out with broken collarbone
Moreno, Lumpkin could share duties 'close to 50-50'

By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/08/07
Athens — Adding injury to insult, Georgia has now lost senior running back Thomas Brown for four to six weeks due to a broken collarbone.
It is believed Brown injured the collarbone in a 35-14 loss to Tennessee Saturday. But Georgia coach Mark Richt couldn't be 100 percent certain that Brown didn't suffer the injury the previous week against Ole Miss and played through the pain.
"He might have played a week with it," Richt said. "I don't even know if it happened last week. He is just that tough. He would go anyway.
"But we can't take that risk," Richt said. "He will lead and guys will step up their play."
The two guys who must now step up are Knowshon Moreno and Kregg Lumpkin. Moreno, who leads Georgia in rushing with 77 yards per game, had been splitting time with Brown since the second game of the season. Meanwhile, Lumpkin had been out with a thumb injury that required surgery. He returned to the running back rotation against Tennessee, but was still used sparingly because of a splint on his thumb.
"When he did get a chance to carry the ball he seemed to be very confident and seemed to have a little bit of juice in his legs too," Richt said.
Now Lumpkin could once again become an integral part of the offense.
"They are both going to play an awful lot," Richt said. "I think the play will be close to 50-50. It will be very similar to the carries Thomas and Knowshon were getting."
Brown had 76 attempts to Moreno's 91. But Moreno had played the equivalent of one game more than Brown because of Brown's injuries.
The starter has yet to be decided and may depend on how they practice this week, Richt said.
But the loss of Brown goes way beyond just the backfield experience and depth. He was the gunner on the punt team and the return specialist on kickoffs. "When you consider he is return man and a gunner, those two things take a lot of energy," Richt said. "I see him out there and he will be huffing and puffing and you know he is tired but he gives maximum effort all the time. We need more guys like Thomas."
Sophomore cornerback Asher Allen is the most likely replacement on kickoff returns. He has one return for 27 yards this season. Last season Allen replaced Brown and averaged 22.1 yards per return.
This season Brown also led the team with eight touchdowns. And, to top it off, Brown was the emotional leader of the offense. As for who will step up now?
"That is one only those guys will be able to answer," Richt said. "We (the coaches) are going to have to fuel the fire ourselves."
Brown, who rushed for 68.8 yards per game, could make it back in time for the Auburn game Nov. 10. But he also might not be back until the season ender at Georgia Tech.
Brown missed the second half of last season after tearing his ACL on a kickoff return against Vanderbilt. He worked in the offseason and by August was ready to fully participate in camp. Brown's effort in camp earned him the starting spot.
Brown is 301 yards away from being among the top five rushers of all-time for Georgia. He currently has 2,280 career yards. Kevin McLee had 2,581 yards from 1975-77.
"It is a shame," Richt said. "He is probably the toughest guy on our football team."

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Tues. Question - 3 Wild Things That'll Happen </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
483592.jpg

Hawaii WR Davone Bess
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 9, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

With the wild way the season has started, what's next? Each of the CFNers give three things they think will happen, including Davone Bess and Hawaii getting a BCS bid.

<TABLE id=table2 cellSpacing=4 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc>Past TQs
- The biggest disappointment- 5 most overrrated teams- I was dead/on right/wrong about ...- USC, LSU or Oklahoma?l- Was the App St win good or bad for college football?
- 3 Sleeper Teams

- Predicting the Season- 3 things we're sure of- What to look for on Signing Day
- Bears or Colts?
- Early bowl surprises and trends- 3 things to look for from the bowls- Do you want the Alabama job?- What are the 3 best non-BCS bowls?- Who's 2nd in the Heisman race?- Michigan-OSU rematch?- Michigan or Ohio State?- Should Louisville be No. 3?- The nat'l title game will be ...- The best one-loss team- Rule changes to help the flow- The Midseason Stuff- The real top five ranking- The early coach of the year is ...?- These three teams are for real, these three aren't
- After 2 weeks, who's better, who's worse?
- 10 Greatest Quarterbacks of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Defensive Players of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Regular Season Games of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Playmakers of All-Time
- 10 Worst Heisman Winners
- 10 Greatest Bowl Games
- All-Time Offensive Team
- All-Time Defensive Team
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P><O:P></O:P>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<O:P></O:P><O:P>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]</O:P>Q: After a wild first half of the year, make three big calls for the second half of the season.

A
: 1. It won't be Cal vs. LSU for the national title.
Cal still has to go on the road to face UCLA and Arizona State, and still has to deal with USC. This might be too nasty a Pac 10 season to get through unscathed. LSU has a stunningly easy road remaining, with the toughest game at Alabama. If Stanford can beat USC, and Auburn can beat Florida, then it won't be a shocker if the Tide pulls off the upset, or if Auburn, with its defense, makes it interesting. Watch out for the road trip to Kentucky this week. My call is ...

2. Ohio State vs. USC for the national title.
I'm not saying it's right, I'm trying to predict. USC still has road trips at Oregon, Cal and Arizona State to make some national noise. This might not be the juggernaut of past years, but it's still a good team that'll finally wake up. The Stanford loss didn't cause enough of a tumble, and the ranking will only creep up with the big wins ahead. Ohio State isn't going to lose at Penn State or at Michigan, but Wisconsin is a tough matchup for this team. The Buckeyes won't be impressive, but they'll be 12-0.

3. Hawaii will be 10-0 going into the final two games against Boise State and Washington ...
Will split the two and get into the BCS. The polls love unbeaten teams, and even though they haven't played anyone, the Warriors will keep moving up and up and up. By November 23rd, they'll be in the top ten. They'll lose to either the Broncos or the Huskies, but not both, and will finish at around 16th. Meanwhile, there will be an upset in either the ACC or Big 12 championship, with the winner finishing lower than 16th in the final BCS rankings. That'll give Hawaii the automatic bid.

Richard Cirminiello[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<O:P></O:P><O:P></O:P>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<O:P></O:P><O:P>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]</O:P>Q: After a wild first half of the year, make three big calls for the second half of the season.

A
: 1. There will be no unbeaten teams left by the time the regular season ends on Dec. 1. We’ve seen the blueprint of the 2007 season, and its theme involves rampant upsets and parity. We’re already down to just 10 unbeatens with over half a season to go, and no one, not even LSU, is above getting knocked off in this uniquely unpredictable year.

2. Navy will end its 43-game losing streak to Notre Dame on Nov. 3. This is the Middies’ best chance in decades to break through against the Irish, an opportunity that they’ll seize by running the ball right at one of the nation’s weakest run defenses. If Navy can’t get it done this fall, it could be another 43 games before it gets this close beating Notre Dame.

3. Cal will lose to Washington State the week before its big game with USC. Are you sold on the Bears being the No. 2 team in the country? I’m not. No disrespect to the program, but it’s still vulnerable to defensive breakdowns, particularly against veteran offenses that can move the ball through the air. Wazzu qualifies with senior Alex Brink behind center and an underrated group of receivers. The Cougars will come in with nothing to lose, catching Cal looking ahead to the Trojans.

John Harris
Q: After a wild first half of the year, make three big calls for the second half of the season.

A
: 1.
Texas A&M will go 2-4 over the rest of the season, finishing 7-5. The back half of this schedule is way too difficult and this team isn’t that good. The Ags will be looking for a new head coach for 2008.
2. Illinois won’t win the Big Ten, but will play in a bowl game in Florida…giving the Zooker an entire month to recruit in the state that he used to pillage and plunder. Recruiting wise, that is. Uh oh, Big Ten…look out.
3. Arkansas RB Darren McFadden will lead his team to a 9-3 record (6-1 the rest of the way) and win the Heisman Trophy. The only standouts from top ten teams are Matt Ryan from Boston College and DeSean Jackson from Cal. Both of those teams will lose along the way and McFadden will roll up big yards the rest of the way, along with a 150+ yard performance against LSU. As such, he’ll take the stiff-armed statue home to Little Rock.

Matthew Zemek[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<O:P></O:P><O:P></O:P>[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT]<O:P></O:P>
<O:P>Q: After a wild first half of the year, make three big calls for the second half of the season.

A
:
1) Cincinnati wins the Big East. This is a no-frills team that doesn't look like it will buckle under pressure. Speed and physicality to match South Florida, even on the road.

2) Tennessee will run the table. The Vols have a tremendous chance. If they can bottle up what they drank against Georgia, they're the second-best team in the SEC East and could amazingly fend off the same Florida team that beat them by 39.

3) Missouri wins the Big XII North. Long-time doubter, first-time believer. The Tigers seem ready. They appear to have more competitive hunger than in the past, and more of an ability to finish teams off in a cold and clinical manner.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></O:P>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Cavalcade of Whimsy ... The Ten Best Players </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
483587.jpg

Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 9, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

Or the ten best players who deserve a bigger spotlight after a huge first half, led by Texas Tech's record-setter Michael Crabtree. USC and UCLA's lost weekend, the best game of the year that no one noticed, and more, in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.
</B></EM>
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... E-mail with your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT]2006 Season | Preseason Part One, Part Two | Week 1
Week
2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5
If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … taking a cue from John David Booty, I air mail most of my key attempts when I’m trying to make something happen. Unfortunately, I don’t have the excuse of a broken finger.

Fortunately, the team could go hang with Snoop Dogg after, and three breaths later, the Stanford loss never happened … I know how it works, and I know one play can mean everything, but think of it this way. If Mozique McCurtis gets a hand in there at the last second on the game-winning touchdown pass and the ball hits the ground, USC might still be ranked number one, or at worst, number two. Mark Bradford made the catch, and now everyone seems to be screaming for USC to be out of the top 25. I’m not necessarily arguing, but it goes to show just how wacky the entire ranking system can be.

If only the USC D line could’ve gotten that sort of a push … Even though you can’t call it in that situation, no one seems to be talking about how Bradford, technically, should’ve been nailed for offensive pass interference on his scoring grab.

No, you still don’t deserve a rematch against Ohio State in the 2007 BCS Championship game … Michigan fans, stop thinking you got screwed for getting knocked out of the top 25 after the loss to Appalachian State, while USC is just an impressive win over Cal from being right back in the thick of the national title chase. Your all-timer of a loss came at the beginning of the year when there was nothing else to go off of, and you’re forgetting how bad the home loss to Oregon was. Nebraska might stink, and Washington might not be that great, but USC does have a few wins under its belt.

You’ll know things have gotten out of hand when FirePeteCarroll.com gets rolling … Leave it to USC to upstage everything UCLA does. The Bruins can’t even come up with the college football version of Evan Almighty without being one-upped by USC’s Gigli.

Mark Harmon has to be looking for a gig … How can UCLA not have a slew of four-star, 6-4, power-armed backup quarterbacks with names like Blake Balls or Chaz Osborne or Dirk Dangerwood or Spiff Rockwell from high schools with names like San Mission Rancho or Viejo De La Mater?

You didn’t watch Notre Dame beat UCLA because you were too busy watching the Florida-LSU classic, or you had an eye on Ohio State’s clinic against Purdue, or you were checking out Missouri against Nebraska, or you got into Stanford’s all-timer against USC. So you don’t have to try to find a replay somewhere, let me describe the experience of watching the Irish and Bruin offenses. Take a pen. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, an ordinary Bic will do. Preferably black. Stick it in your ear and push. Just when you hit something hard, give it a quick shove until you feel a crunch or a pop, and then keep pushing until it’s inserted entirely in your skull, while leaving a little room so you can still catch some tones from the Notre Dame fight song.

There’s no truth to the rumor that Karl Dorrell sent Pete Carroll the Chocolate Indulgence Basket from FTD for taking the focus away …
Again, you probably didn’t see the game, so you have no clue just what a horrific performance UCLA came up with. Notre Dame generated 94 passing yards and 46 on the ground. That’s 140 yards of total offense, and the Irish still won by 14. Do you have any clue how hard that is to do?

But before you jump on the anti-Dorrell bandwagon, remember that UCLA is still 3-0 in Pac 10 play. Yeah, the losses to Utah and Notre Dame were brutal, but a win over California in two weeks would make everything go away.

To be fair, it was a night game in Baton Rouge. The thinking probably wasn’t, um, uh, clear … No one seems to grasp how our beloved BCS works. For some reason, everyone seemed to make a big deal out of how the LSU crowd went nuts when it was announced that USC had lost, and LSU players and coaches admitted to being even more fired up when the news came across. LSU was ranked number two in the polls that mattered; USC losing didn’t matter. Being ranked two is like being ranked one. You get the invite to the VIP lounge.

Florida vs. LSU was good, but … it wasn’t Akron vs. Western Michigan. Completely ignored was the most exciting finish of any game this year in a battle that would’ve been hailed as one of the best ever if two powerhouses had been involved.

Down 38-24 with less than five minutes to play in a wild shootout, Akron got a 51-yard touchdown catch from Jabari Arthur. The defense came up with a stop, and WMU, choosing to play it safe, took a safety with 15 seconds to play to make it 38-33. On the free kick, Alphonso Owen took the kick, ran about ten yards, and tossed it to Andre Jones, who took it the rest of the way for the score and the improbable win with no time left on the clock.
“I thought the Generals were due! He's spinning the ball on his finger! Just take it, take the ball!” … Oh, will someone, somewhere, please, please throw a football more than five yards down the field. I don’t get it. The post pattern has gone the way of Steve Spurrier’s Florida visor, and outside of Oregon’s blasting of Michigan, no one’s spread is taking any consistent shots down the field. Why aren’t defenses daring quarterbacks to throw the deep ball? Most spread quarterbacks can’t do it on a consistent basis.

Maybe it was all a marketing play, like New Coke … It became official last Saturday night at 10:19 EST. Nebraska’s slip into mediocrity is now complete. While keeping Frank Solich might not have been the overall answer, athletic director Steve Pederson now has to feel like he's knee deep in a major mess he can't get out of. Sort of like watching Chuck.

However, it’s not nearly as sharp as the June Jones lei … Someone get a note to LSU head coach Les Miles that it’s not 1992. It’s only O.K. to sport the mock turtleneck after the hi-top fade as been trimmed. Also, it’s Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and not Ann Arbor in early November. Even with all the unnecessary clothes, with all those fourth down calls, Miles was the coolest customer in the building.

You try to match up with Neon Bodeaux at defensive end, Ricky Roe at safety, and Butch McRae as a deep threat receiver … Your 2007 Illinois Fighting Illini vs. Pete Bell’s 1993 Western University Dolphins. Discuss.

And you also have to claim Gerry DiNardo … No, SEC fans, your league doesn’t get any credit for Illinois’ success just because Ron Zook once coached at Florida. Stop e-mailing me that the Illini turned good because of Zook’s former association with your league. If that’s true, then the Big Ten gets credit for Nick Saban.

At least ol’ John L. beat the Wildcats ,,, the weather is getting crisp, the leaves are starting to turn, I’m starting to put on my winter weight, and Michigan State had a letdown loss in a game it should've won by 20. Now I know it’s fall.

Whatever happened to that promo ad with Brohm, Slaton and White around the Heisman? … We’re still several weeks away from being able to discuss the bowl picture, but let me beat the rush and throw out a preemptive whine that everyone else will soon get in on. There needs to be an overhaul of the bowl tie-ins. At the moment, there are way too many spots for MAC and Conference USA teams, not enough for the Big 12 and Big East, and there aren’t any at-large bids if Navy is bowl eligible.

The MAC gets three spots and Conference USA gets six, while the Big East gets five, and the Big 12 gets eight. At the moment, it looks like West Virginia, South Florida, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Connecticut and Louisville will all be bowl eligible. Unless two get in the BCS, one of these teams will be left out. It’s worse for the Big 12. Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado and Kansas State will all likely be eligible. Even if the league gets two in the BCS, one of these teams will be out. Two will be out if only the champion gets to the Fiesta Bowl.

I’m all for the smaller guys getting paid and getting their moments in the sun, but when you hear the complaining about the matchups being less than scintillating, you’ll know why.

Upon further review, that Texas A&M offensive game plan really did suck … What’s slower, Emmitt Smith trying to get out an uninformative point about some NFL game, or the Miami defense reacting to anything North Carolina tried to do in the first half? Discuss.

You have a message from McLean Stephenson, Shelly Long is on line two and Wayne Rogers is on hold … NC State is 1-5 with the only win coming over Wofford. The defense is 114th in the nation against the run, the offense is 102nd in both yards and scoring, and the team is dead last in turnover margin. Meanwhile, Boston College is fourth in both polls. There’s no truth to the rumor that Wolfpack head coach Tom O’Brien also sold his Google stock in 2002.

Sorry, but it's hard to look tough when you're dressed like Grimace ... The new shows are here, the Halloween decorations are up, Starbucks is trying to push some pumpkin latte thing, and Clemson is going into the tank. Now I know fall is here.

And I don’t have Brian Brohm to bail me out … With ten minutes left in the column, I’ve lost my edge and fire after seeing most of the Louisville fans duck out early, like they did in the loss to Utah.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength

In this wildly improbable season, a new crop of teams have become major forces in the national title race, and a slew of new superstars have emerged to shake up everything we thought we knew about the Heisman race, the All-America campaigns, and the season as a whole.

Darren McFadden, Mike Hart, Colt Brennan, Tim Tebow, James Laurinaitis, Matt Ryan, P.J. Hill, Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Brian Brohm, and Andre Woodson are undeniable superstars who get the lead billing week in and week out. While they’ve been among the top players in America, and belong on any list of the nation’s best, there have been others who’ve been just as good, if not even better, but without the same fanfare. In part one of the midseason recap (part two coming next week), these are the ten (plus one) best players of the 2007 season who need to be included on any list of top stars.

10. Kansas State senior WR Jordy Nelson
There are others with more all-purpose yards, but no one has been as good in the big moments as Nelson, a former defensive back who led the Wildcats in catches last year despite having knee problems. So far this season, he’s been explosive, with 52 catches for 634 yards and three touchdowns in five games, while completing two passes, both for touchdowns, and returning four punts for 172 yards (a 43-yard average) with a very, very big touchdown against Texas.

9. California senior C Alex Mack
On a team with a tremendous array of home run hitting stars, it’s Mack who has as much to do with making everything go as DeSean Jackson, Nate Longshore, or Justin Forsett. Cal has allowed just four sacks in 166 pass attempts, and Mack, who’s absolutely destroying everyone so far, has been the leader of the great line.

8. Troy senior S Leodis McKelvin
He made his biggest national splash as a punt returner, with 136 yards and a score on five tries against Oklahoma State, but he’s also been the team’s second best tackler with 34 stops, has broken up five passes, and has been consistent throughout as the last line of defense, thanks to a rough year start from the defensive front. Along with being a standout defender, he’s averaging 21 yards per kickoff return, and leads the nation in punt returns with a 25.6-yard average with two touchdowns. How good has he been? The number two punt returner averages 20.75 yards per try.

UCF junior RB Kevin Smith
Who leads the nation in rushing? It’s not Hart, McFadden or Hill. Smith is cranking out 172 yards per game with 11 touchdowns despite being the focal point of every single defensive scheme. 217 yards and two scores against NC State. 149 and two against Texas. 124 and three against Memphis. 223 and three against UL Lafayette. 147 and one score against East Carolina. He’s a big, quick runner who has taken the Knights on his back.

6. Michigan State senior DE Jonal Saint-Dic
There was an off-season buzz about Saint-Dic, a raw JUCO transfer who was originally considered for a role as a possible pass rushing specialist, and it's all been warranted. All he has done is make 28 tackles while being tied for second in the nation with seven sacks, third in the country in tackles for loss with ten, and leading the way with six forced fumbles. Right now, he’s the second most dangerous defensive player in college football behind ...

5. South Florida sophomore DE George Selvie

30 tackles, 18 tackles for loss (leading the nation) and 10.5 sacks (also leading the nation). Not bad, considering he almost switched over to center last year. He was dominant as a freshman, making 84 tackles and 5.5 sacks, and now he has become unblockable.

4. Illinois junior RB Rashard Mendenhall
The world has started to get a glimpse of Mendenhall over the last two weeks against Penn State and Wisconsin, but his big game came on the road against Indiana, running for 214 yards and a touchdown. Others have more yards and more scores, but Mendenhall has also turned into more of a receiver, to go along with the responsibility of carrying the offense. Oh sure, Juice Williams is a dangerous runner, but he can’t throw. Everyone’s keying on Mendenhall, and no one’s stopping him.

3.. Colorado senior LB Jordon Dizon
He’s only 6-0 and 225 pounds, but he just might be the best tackler in America. Statistically, it’s not even close, making 51 solo tackles, with no one else making more than 40, while averaging 13 stops per game. He started off the season making 20 tackles against Colorado State, becoming personally acquainted with Ram RB Kyle Bell, and has been terrific ever since. More than just a run stopper, he’s becoming better and better at getting into the backfield.

2. Missouri junior QB Chase Daniel
Daniel was fantastic over the last three games of last season, throwing for 996 yards and seven touchdowns with no interceptions, but the Tigers lost two of them. Now, Daniel is not only a master of the high-octane Mizzou offense, but the team is also winning. With 1,712 yards, 15 touchdown passes, four interceptions, and three touchdown runs, highlighted by a 401-yard day against Nebraska, he’s quickly becoming the “it” quarterback. More importantly, the Tigers are 5-0. If he can pull off a win at Oklahoma this week, then his stock will go through the roof.

1. Texas Tech redshirt freshman WR Michael Crabtree & Texas Tech junior QB Graham Harrell
First, let’s get this out of the way. SMU, UTEP, Rice, Oklahoma State, Northwestern State, and Iowa State. We’re not exactly talking about a murderer’s row of opponents so far. It doesn’t matter. If you’re going to give the Heisman love to Colt Brennan to start the year, then it has to shift over to Harrell after the junior completed 74% of his passes for 2,726 yards (454 per game) with 28 touchdown passes and three interceptions in the first six games. Last year, Brennan threw for 5,915 yards and 58 touchdowns in 14 games. If you project Harrell’s numbers out to 13 games (the regular season plus a bowl), he’ll throw for 5,906 yards and 60 touchdowns. He won’t hit those marks with the competition ahead getting tougher, but he’s still been amazing so far. But not as strong as his battery mate.

Redshirt freshman Michael Crabtree was one of the biggest receiver recruits Mike Leach had ever brought aboard, and if you’ve ever wondered what a top-shelf talent would do in this offense, you’re finding out. He’s 6-3, 222 pounds, physical, quick, and fast. And he also scores touchdowns. Gobs of them.

The numbers are beyond ridiculous. 70 catches, 1,074 yards, 17 touchdowns. To put this into perspective, his first six games alone would’ve made put him 17th in the nation at the end of last year in receiving yards. Only Rice’s Jarett Dillard, with 21, caught more touchdown passes last year than Crabtree has so far, and no one else had more than 15. You want bizarre? Project the numbers out over 13 games, and he’ll catch 151 passes for 2,327 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Nuggets for the upcoming week, now made with white meat, at participating restaurants …
- There’s an old adage that says officials are doing their jobs correctly when you don’t notice them. The same goes for offensive linemen. Did you hear LSU’s Glenn Dorsey get his name called much against the Gators? Junior guard Jim Tartt didn’t do it all by himself, but he had a whale of a game.
- Don’t let the 41 points Virginia Tech scored against Clemson fool you. The offense is doing nothing, even though QB Tyrod Taylor showed glimpses of what he’s going to become. The Hokies are 113th in the nation in total offense, and now the defense has to press on without injured star linebacker Vince Hall.
- Watch out to see how Texas A&M survives the rest of the year. Talk about your killer second half, the Aggies play at Texas Tech, at Nebraska, Kansas, at Oklahoma, at Missouri, Texas. Thanks so much, Coach Fran. It’s been fun.
- Would Minnesota still be this horrible under Glen Mason? Tim Brewster and his staff had better pull a rabbit out of a hat in a big hurry, or at least get the defense to come up with a meaningful stop.- IWith all due respect to Florida, it's offense isn't exactly diverse at the moment. This week will be the first real test for the LSU defense against a high-powered offense.
C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world
1) Overrated: Future Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh ... Underrated: Future Michigan head coach Les Miles
2) Overrated: AP votes for Appalachian State after week one … Underrated: No AP votes for Stanford in this week's poll
3) Overrated: Stanford 24 – USC 23, and USC ranked seventh in the Coaches’ Poll ... Underrated: 4-1 Oregon 55 - Stanford 31, and Oregon ranked eighth in the Coaches’ Poll
4) Overrated: Stanford 24 – USC 23, and USC ranked seventh in the Coaches’ Poll ... Underrated: 6-0 Arizona State 41 – Stanford 3, and ASU ranked 13th in the Coaches’ Poll
5) Overrated: Wisconsin ranked 15th in the Coaches’ Poll ... Underrated: Illinois ranked 19th in the Coaches’ Poll

My Heisman ballot this week would be … I vote based on a combination of three things: Most valuable player, most outstanding player, and the signature player of the season. I might wildly change my mind weekly, but I’ll sort it all out at the end. 1) Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech, 2) Chase Daniel, QB Missouri, 3) Matt Ryan, QB Boston College, 4) Mike Hart, RB Michigan, 5) Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU

“You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools/But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever” … The three lines this week that appear to be a tad off. (1-2. I can pick everything else, but I can’t get these right, so you know what to do. 4-11 overall, so as always, enjoy these just for pure amusement.) … 1) Purdue +5.5 over Michigan, 2) Wisconsin +6.5 over Penn State, 3) UAB -3.5 over Tulane
Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault … as TCU star defensive end Tommy Blake would say, I feel like I was putting too much pressure on football, and I wasn't taking care of myself as good as I should have been. I had to pay attention to Fiu. Not the football writer. Just Fiu.

And they have to deal with dopey writers and media people like me … Using Blake’s quote wasn’t intended as a shot in any way. The Horned Frog All-America defensive end has been out with an undisclosed medical issue, as he said he had to get away from football because of the overall stress in his life. It’s an absolute shock that more players don’t need to take a personal leave of absence. If a college player is doing things the right way, at least the way the idealists would like him to, he’s a full-time student, full-time college football player, while dealing with all the pressures that come from being 18-to-22 years old, trying to figure out a career path, trying to make time for that date in the malt shop with Mary Jane Sweetiepie, and trying to juggled it all at once. Put the pressure of being a team leader on top of that, and the gig isn’t as easy as it might appear. Get better, Tommy.

ESPN: If we say it enough, we shall make it so

Does ESPN really think that "naming" the weekend's slate of college football games makes them bigger or more important?

I don't think it would have been humanly possible for any ESPN on-air host, announcer, commentator, sideline reporter and anchor to have mentioned more times that last weekend's football games had been dubbed "Gut-Check Saturday!" by the network. Put it this way, if my friends and I had been playing one of those college drinking games, in which a person has to drink each time the phrase in question is uttered on the TV show being watched, we'd all be dead today.

Seriously. Can't we just enjoy the games?

It almost felt like the ESPN brass panicked after the rash of upsets two weekends ago. Like they hadn't seen them coming and thus overcompensated by trying to make last Saturday as big by beating viewers over the head and mandating each on-air personality to breathlessly say "Gut-Check Saturday!" (yes, with an exclamation point) 684 times under threat of termination.

You can almost see the network brass sitting in a conference room in Bristol trying to come up with "important" sounding names for the weekend...

"What about Showdown Saturday?"
"Enh. Too...2006."
"Big Time Saturday!"
"Not big enough."
"Ginormongous Saturday!"
"Too hard for Corso to say."
"What if we don't call it anything and just let the games being played speak for themselves?"

Silence.

"Hmm. That's a very interesting idea, Ron. You're fired."

After Ron gathers his things and leaves...

"C'mon! Think, people, think! We're E-S-FUCKING-P-N. People don't just enjoy the goddamn games unless we tell them how much to enjoy them!"

Virginia Tech LB Hall Out For 3-6 Weeks

Posted Oct 9th 2007 1:22AM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Virginia Tech Football, ACC, BCS
72409600.jpg
Virginia Tech...yeah, remember them? Outside of a mildly intriguing QB battle that had been a year in the making, it sure seemed like "America's Team" was laying low after they got summarily pounded out against the squad that would eventually be deemed as way better than any of these other clowns in 2007. These things happened when you eke out a win against a (surprisingly frisky?) UNC team amidst walkovers with Ohio and William & Mary, all the while running up stats that make you the 113th best offensive team in the nation.

But a win's a win, and the rest of the ACC had to take notice as the Hokies made sure Clemson's annual collapse came ahead of schedule with a 41-23 beatdown that came on the strength of 219 total yards. They're now the 12th-ranked team in the country, which although doesn't quite have the shock value of seeing BC ranked 4th in something other than hockey and USF ranked 5th in...anything, certainly comes as a little surprising this early on.

The news wasn't all good this weekend, as star LB and general badass Vince Hall fractured his wrist during the 4th quarter of the contest and is now scheduled to miss three (very optimistic) to six weeks (worst case scenario). Granted, the Virginia Tech defense is like Guns N Roses, in that even if you don't like them, they've at least got the names for the job; Vince Hall. Xavier Adibi. Macho Harris. That's some powerful stuff. But when you consider that they've somehow managed to be worse on O than the other Virginia team despite a schedule that isn't a Notre Dame or Washington-style murderer's row, well...they should just be happy he's not their punt returner too.

Kansas State Facing Possible NCAA Violations

Posted Oct 9th 2007 4:14PM by Jeff Adams
Filed under: Big 12, NCAA FB Rumors, Kansas State Football
ron-prince-425.jpg

Kansas State has enjoyed an up and down season in 2007 falling late on the road in Auburn, upsetting Texas and then losing to their instate rival a week ago. Now news emerges of possible rules violations that have prompted an NCAA investigation.
Athletic director Tim Weiser said Tuesday the Big 12 school reported the violations to the governing body. He said the investigation centers around one former university employee, three former football players and two current members of the team.

"To this point there is no evidence that any member of the coaching staff, support staff or representatives of our athletics interests are involved," Weiser said.

"We have never, nor will we ever, tolerate intentional violations of NCAA rules," Weiser said. "Should it be determined that violations have occurred, we will take whatever steps necessary to ensure that we maintain the highest standard for compliance."​
It seems you never can tell when the NCAA comes calling regarding possible violations. Often when things look bad, you walk away with only a wrist slap (see Sooners, Oklahoma). Other seemingly more minor violations seem to invoke the hammer from the NCAA investigators. The fact that the violations were self-reported and also involve an employee that is no longer with the school should help KSU's chances. But I've certainly been wrong before, so stay tuned for updates.

The Signs Were There
By Paragon SC Section: Football
Posted on Tue Oct 09, 2007 at 08:45:28 PM EDT
</I>

This may be a bit of a rehash of some other things I wrote but the local papers make some interesting observations that bear repeating.
It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that SC was not all that the hype was making us out to be. Everyone talked about how the game plan against Idaho was vanilla on purpose so as to not tip our hand towards Nebraska. There may be some truth to that but does anyone really believe that was the only reason we looked less than sharp?
We saw some of this last season though the defense and the solid play Jarrett and Smith kept us on the winning side of things. The loss to Stanford has made us all take a second look at just how much this team has progressed or regressed depending on your point of view. I think its pointless to relive last season because we ended on a high note by beating Michigan, though we could have been in the BSC Title game.
It is easy to point to Booty as a major problem as he is the captain of the ship when comes to the team on the field and while we have discussed it in detail in other threads the notion that he is the sole reason for the loss on Saturday would be incorrect as there were of course other factors that led to the outcome of the game.
As I said yesterday when things are going great no one really looks at the flaws lurking below the surface. But also as we did yesterday in asking questions of the coaching staff others in the media are doing the same and they are looking at what could be construed as a pattern mediocrity.
...winning has a strange way of masking subtle problems within a program.
When USC was on top of its game -- the Carson Palmer-Mike Williams to Reggie Bush-Matt Leinart era -- the Trojans were a smooth-running machine. Players were fundamentally sound on both sides of the ball and the Trojans' coaching staff showed a great knack for having the team well-prepared for whatever an opponent tried.
However, once Carroll began to lose veteran coaches from his staff -- offensive coordinator Norm Chow and defensive line coach Ed Orgeron left after the 2004 season -- USC's dominant game began to show cracks.
From dropped passes to missed blocks to poor tackling to ill-advised penalties, the Trojans have displayed the same type of basic shortcomings that most college football programs have suffered through over the last two-plus seasons.
Just look back to some of the games in which USC struggled but still escaped with victories. Fresno State in 2005, Arizona State, Washington State and Washington last season and the Huskies again this year. When a team at USC's level experiences tough games once in a while, they are wake-up calls. But when they occur almost every other week, normally that's a sign of trouble.

It is clear that SC may have been living off of its laurels and that chicken appears to have come home to roost. To me it is glaring not to have hired adequate replacements to replace the assistants that that went on to other opportunities. Even more glaring is not even having all the coaching slots filled, as is the case with special teams. SC has been accused of arrogance in the past and for the most part they have either brushed it aside or backed it up on the field, but when you have numerous problems on special teams and no coach to specifically address those issues that is a recipe for disaster.
That arrogance also explains why the team seemed to take Stanford lightly in their planning for the game. They did the same thing with Idaho. Pete Carroll has always been known for his intensity and his "leave no doubt" persona so I'm surprised that the game prep for both Stanford and Idaho was taken so lightly.
I will not question play calling because I'm not in the meetings or on the sidelines but when it comes out that Booty has an injured finger on his throwing hand and Sark calls 3 straight passing plays what do you expect me to think. USC is NOT on the job training. Sark may have been trained and coached by Norm Chow but he is far from ever being Norm Chow, his "mistake" in the play calling cost SC the game.
In Pete Carroll's after game roundtable it was determined that the running game has to be established in order to set up the passing lanes. I could have told them that, that's football 101, establish the run to set up the pass. Duh!! So why not try new things in the running game like giving Allen Bradford a shot. We have all heard how great he does in practice and it appears by what we have read that he has the right attitude so why not try that? The decision to go away from using Havili is really no different than not having him in the line up at all. Yes, he made some mistakes but so has Patrick Turner and he continues to be in the mix. So, to me going away from Havili is counter productive, if Booty can play through his mistakes why not Havili?
Scott Wolf has been putting up some great things the last few days but as I said last night Scott Wolf the alum is pissed and it shows in Scott Wolf the reporter's write ups and once again he asks about a very plausible theory:
Being A Bad Guy
Here's a theory: Last night someone at USC told me there needed to be more "bad guys'' on the coaching staff willing to call out players.
That reminded me former offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin might have served a purpose after all. Remember last year when he took wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett to task after the Arkansas game for his lethargic play? "We really challenged him (last) week and embarrassed him to get him going,'' Kiffin said.

I would agree that some of these players need to have someone get in their faces and Booty needs to get in the faces of those on the offense who are not performing up to standards.
This a big wake up call for some of us who either weren't concerned about these issues or simply didn't care. Hopefully the program will get back on track with this kick in the ass and refocus on the fundamentals and get back to what has made this program so great. The sky is not falling and its not the end of the world, as SC could once again find itself back in the hunt for a major bowl appearance.

<!-- poll box --><TABLE width="40%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End poll box --><!-- End center content section -->

Back