Week 6 (10/1-10/6) CFB Picks and News

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
30-22 +19.4 Units

------------------------

Wow, what an upredictable weekend. Was staring at an 0-6 day and thankfully my last two plays hit and added another play in the tOSU game to HIT MY FIRST MIDDLE EVER!!

All in all 3-4 -$900 or so for the day. Could have been alot worse.

So in Week 6, I'm moving a bit slower and more judiciously in my picks.

All picks for $600 unless otherwise noted.

Picks
Florida +10 (-110)
Arizona St -9 (-110)
K State -3 (-109)
Arky St -2.5 ($631 to win $600)
Bowling Green +20 (-110)
Ohio St -7 (-103)
Mizzou -6 (-103)
WVU -26.5 (-107)
Notre Dame +22 (-104)

Last edited:
Chaos Reigns: Trying to put the national pieces together after Insurrection Saturday
By CW Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 09:54:25 AM EDT
</I>

If the equivalent of yesterday's college football results happened on a wrestling pay-per-view, everyone would claim the writers had gone mad and it was some sort of publicity stunt or ratings ploy. When it happens in college football (real life), all we can do is stand with our jaws agape at the carnage wrecked across the landscape and polls.
I was so very excited for next weekend (Semifinal Saturday? Sexy-Time Saturday?) that I didn't give thought that this could happen today. Now, the Red River Shootout, which was supposed to set the winner on the right track to a championship, is set to eliminate a preseason top ten team from both national title and maybe Big XII title contention. LSU/Florida is still an intriguing and exciting game, but it's lost a bit of cache with the blemish on the Gator's record.
The Big Ten, a conference most people would say is on a down year, now features two of the under-the-radar Big Games of the week, with Wisconsin/Illinois and Ohio State/Purdue both giving someone a big-time advantage on the path to a potential BCS bid. A game that I thought would be key in deciding the Big Ten title, Iowa at Penn State, now looks like it might be a repeat of their 6-4 game a few years ago for the right to earn your first conference win. Penn State fans, if I told you once, I told you a thousand times: Anthony Morelli is awful at football and will never be anything other than awful at football. It's sad, it's true, but at least you all know now. I'll go on the record and say Curtis Painter is not super good, either, as he missed a lot of throws yesterday.
Southern Cal looks like it's going to be more 2006 than 2004, as they let Washington hang around far too long instead of throttling them. That win against Nebraska seems shadier and shadier as the Huskers stumble their way on through the season, meaning there's some serious potential for upset looming with trips to Autzen and Berkeley ahead. Arizona State remains a West Coast enigma, defeating teams that maintain a very unsteady hold on "Good" and "Bad" from week to week. UCLA remains in the PAC-10 and national title equation, although that Utah loss seems more and more fluky as the weeks roll on.
The Big East is a giant fustercluck, and a conference with three potential national championship contenders going into the season now has one outsider left, but it would take a wish, a prayer and some serious respect from the pollsters for South Florida to even approach a trip to New Orleans in early January. Still, Matt Grothe's mohawk in primetime seems like something everyone should love. Anyone who spent five hundred dollars on Louisville/West Virginia tickets perhaps seems the fool now, although I don't blame them as nothing few contests seemed ready to knock that game from the tracks of Game of the Year.
The ACC and SEC remain essentially as they were coming into the weekend with the exception of Florida's loss, two teams seemingly standing about the rest that both struggled against far inferior competition (LSU and Boston College), then a whole host of other teams that could win or lose most of their league games depending on the speed and direction of wind. I'll grant you the SEC quality appears to be higher than the ACC, but who really knows for sure, especially with a solid Alabama squad falling to an enigmatic Florida State team yesterday after Xavier Lee entered the equation.
The best part about yesterday is that if your team was considering Mythical National Championship worthy before the season started and already has their record marred by a loss, fear not, as the odds of two teams making it out of November unscathed seem to get higher and higher every week. If your team of interest has five losses or fell to an I-AA team, you probably don't have a shot at New Orleans. Next weekend was going to be ridiculous as it was, and after the events of Friday night through midnight last night, there's so much more to play for for a great many teams, at the expense of a few others.
Full breakdown of the Irish later today, but I had to try and piece some sort of national view together after everything that happened.
Rough Draft BlogPoll Top Ten, which just looks silly at this point as you even try to find ten teams to place there:
1) LSU
2) Southern Cal
3) California
4) Ohio State
5) Kentucky
6) South Florida
7) Wisconsin
8) Boston College
9) Arizona State
10) Oregon South Florida and Arizona State get bumps for their wins over Auburn and Colorado (both seemingly more valuable) while holy crap, you could put everyone after about number two or three in any order you wanted and not seem too insane.

Upsets: This is why they play the games

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1191163500765&lmt=1191163500&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1191163500765&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Facc%2F007181.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1502555555.1182479225&ga_sid=1191163500&ga_hid=2084638146&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
Wow. What a weekend. It started with Thursday's USF upset win over West Virginia and didn't stop until eight top twenty five teams had been upset.

The Victims:
#3 Florida lost to Auburn (20-17)
A big upset on paper, but perhaps not !SHOCKING! OMG! to fans of the SEC. Florida missed its chance to avenge last year's loss to Auburn, but Urban Meyer and the Gators still hoisted the trophy. Auburn was in a different place this year, with some on the Plains beginning to rumble about the direction of this team. The Tigers, now 3-2, took a big step forward in this game, but the biggest winners (at least in terms of the BCS standings) was the South Florida, whose win on the road at Auburn will look even stronger to the computers.

#4 Oklahoma lost to Colorado (27-24)
In my book, this was the most embarrassing loss of the day. The Sooners had this game in hand and managed to grab defeat from jaws of victory. OU was physically superior and spent much of the game pushing the Buffs around, but never put them away. Give Colorado credit, CU found a way to hang around and hang around in this game. In their losses, Colorado turned the ball over again and again, but on Saturday the Buffaloes won the +/- battle... and the game. For Colorado, maybe this is the start of something. Who knows? The Buffs are in transition. But for the Sooners... wow. OU was a team that was on track for the BCS championship game, in my opinion, but now... well, I have no idea where the Sooners are headed.

#5 West Virginia lost to #18 South Florida (21-13)
Again, an upset on paper, but many watchers did expect the Bulls to give WVU all they could handle. After all USF beat the 'Eers in Morgantown last year, so it should come as no surprise that the WVU game against the Bulls is quickly becoming the annual "Save a Couch" weekend in West Virginia. WVU will drop in the polls and has lost their shot at the national championship. South Florida will rise in the polls and sits in the driver's seat for the Big East BCS bowl slot.

#7 Texas lost to Kansas State (41-21)
Even though Texas lost to K-State last year, I didn't see this one coming. Some people predicted this, but I really thought Texas wouldn't look past the Wildcats with the Red River Rivalry on the horizon. The Horns looked very average on offense and defense. Ron Prince's team clearly wasn't afraid of playing the number seven team on the road and it showed. K-State has some serious momentum going into the Big XII North - don't be surprised to see the Wildcats in the title game. As for Texas, they looked lost. Some believe the Horns have a "BCS or Bust" mentality and may throw it all away now that it's clear they won't be playing for the national championship. It will be interesting to see what -- if anything -- Mack Brown will do to prepare his team for one-loss Oklahoma this weekend in Dallas.

#10 Rutgers lost to Maryland (34-24)
This was an exceptionally emotional loss for the Scarlet Knights, but -- and I'm just being honest here -- I think Rutgers deserved it after Coach Schiano's stunt last weekend against Norfolk State. For those that didn't see the footnote, Schiano called timeouts before the end of the first half in an attempt to get the ball back and score - despite leading 45-0. I've been pretty consistent in criticizing coaches for trying to run up the score, so... this is just fate's way of kicking Rutgers, in my opinion. You reap what you sow, Schiano. Fortunately for Scarlet Knights fans, this was a non-con game, so keep circling that USF date because that's your game of the year.

#13 Clemson lost to Georgia Tech (13-3)
I'd love to hear from Clemson fans - was this really an upset? Really? Georgia Tech had been ranked earlier in the year and these two teams always play pretty tight. Unfortunately for Clemson, it was an ACC loss that threatens CU's frontrunner status. Again, an upset on paper, but I don't really call this one an upset.

#19 Penn State lost to Illinois (27-20)
News flash: Ron Zook's recruits can play. The Zooker has been not-so-quietly building the Illini over the last few years. This win, over a solid PSU, was a real benchmark game for Illinois. It allowed them to show that they intend to compete for the Big 10 title in the coming years. Not this year, mind you, but I digress. For Penn State... wow. Four turnovers in your last four possessions?!? JoPa was at a loss for words after the game. Here's a few: PSU handed the win to Illinois and the Illini are just good enough to punch it in. Penn State -- with back to back losses in the Big 10 -- is now looking a December bowl game squarly in the eye. The only question remaining is: early or late December? Oh, and JoPa fell back another game to FSU Head Coach Bobby Bowden. Salt. Salt. Salt.

#24 Alabama lost to Florida State (21-14)
Both teams needed this win and both looked tight through much of the first half. FSU made adjustments - inserting backup QB Xavier Lee into the game -- and Bama didn't. And that is the story of the game, in a nutshell. There were so many Alabama-LSU-FSU connections in this game to add intrigue, but in the end the FSU coaches just made better adjustments. One clear illustration was Jimbo Fisher going with the out & up and the end of the game, knowing that Saban would use a run-stunt blitz, expecting Fisher to run out the clock. The result? A 70-yard FSU touchdown pass. This game meant an awful lot to Bobby Bowden, but time will tell what this game will mean to both Alabama's and FSU's season.

Immediate Reaction :: UCLA 40, Oregon State 14
By Jake Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 12:43:31 AM EDT
</I>

How do you lead 14-12 in the fourth quarter then get beat 40-14?
OSUCanfield.jpg

AP Photo/ Ryan Gardner (via ESPN)
Somehow, Oregon State managed to do just that tonight. Postgame thoughts go here.

Exactly what we needed

Today was an interesting game, as once again we built a big lead and had a tendency to put things on cruise control for a portion of the afternoon. I do think things were a little different than the past two weeks in that it wasn't entirely our fault that things got close. There were also plenty of positives that we can take out of the day and file away for the future. As I watch Ohio State refuse to be blinded by Minnesota's uniforms it is now safe to start thinking ahead to the Buckeyes and the biggest game for the program since the infamous Fumble Game. I think that we can actually take a lot away from what happened today, and it is exactly what we needed before facing the Buckeyes in a week.

First things first, we have to be encouraged that we played probably our worst game of the season and still won by 14 points. Granted, I was concerned when the Irish cut the lead to 26-19 and had a chance to get the ball back with plenty of time. I knew (and Coach Weis later confirmed this) that if we gave them the ball back and they scored, they were going to go for two. I wasn't entirely convinced we would have been able to stop them in such a situation and the ensuing loss would have been one of the most devastating in program history. We could not afford to lose this game today because of the damage it would have done to our collective psyche. This is the worst Notre Dame in recent memory, and we simply could not afford to lose to them. The fact we were able to come out with our C-level game and win is a very good sign.

Even in that situation, where the Irish had cut the lead to seven and had all the momentum, the offense finally woke up with a clutch drive to seize control once again. I am really liking the offense's ability to do that even when they are struggling, as it has been our M.O. of the past three weeks. We were finally challenged late in this one, and we responded with a critical touchdown drive and a game clinching interception. Despite everything that happened this showed the heart of our team, as teams from the past few years would have caved, not put together that drive, and given the ball back to Notre Dame with a chance to win.

Secondly, I cannot say enough about Chris Summers today; as he was the sole reason we were ahead comfortably for most of the afternoon. After getting so much negative press in the offseason, (even today I heard someone mutter that he was going to miss his second kick) it is good to see him come through with four huge field goals today. Think back to last season, could we have counted on him to hit even two of those? How different is the game if he misses two like he might have last year? On a day when the offense was struggling mightily (and I will give credit to Notre Dame in a second), Summers made sure that two turnovers were paid for in points and that we had all the drives he was called on to end didn't end with nothing.

Terrell Vinson needs to be given credit today as well, with two interceptions and the first dual pick performance since a certain Mr. Schweigert was patrolling the secondary. His first set up a critical field goal, and his second clinched the game as he made a good play on a ball in the air in the end zone. I am really liking his development as a cornerback, and he had the best day of anyone on the defense. The defense as a whole did a great job against the run, allowing very little on the ground until Notre Dame went away from it totally by being forced to pass late. As long as the run defense continues to play that well and allow the offense to build 20 point leads we will be fine.

Finally, I want to give credit to Notre Dame as a whole. I must say that I was impressed by the Irish today, as they simply refused to give up even after being thoroughly dominated in the first half. I am a virulent hater of the Irish, but I was impressed today by their play. Golden Tate has three very nice catches that accounted for nearly a quarter of their yards and a score, including the final Irish touchdown in which he was the one person that had a chance to catch a ball that was pretty much hurled blindly in his direction and he came down with it. As a whole Notre Dame had a winning mentality by not only going for it on fourth down six times but converted four of them. They and nothing to lose each time and on four of them they simply made plays. Two of the three Irish touchdowns came against serious coverage and it was a case of the receiver making a better play.

Notre Dame went with its hurry-up offense in the second half and moved the ball against a tired defense. They also simply started throwing the ball all over the field and received solid protection for the first time all season. This is becoming a glaring weakness for us, as we were unable to be in both Clausen and Sharpley's face all day despite the fact Notre Dame had been surrendering more sacks than a grocery store bagger before today. At first they picked us apart with the short dump-off passes, and then they were able to get some throws deep and allow the receiver's to make big plays. That's probably where about half of the passing yards we gave up came from, but it took until the fourth quarter to get it going to the point that it produced consistent results.

Notre Dame's defense also played better than expected by frustrating us into four field goals on drives that probably should have ended in touchdowns. We had a ton of broken up passes, hurried throws, and dropped passes that need to be corrected before we can seriously think about beating someone like Ohio State. Notre Dame got in Painter's face more than the other four teams we've played combined. Both of Painter's interceptions were the result of bad throws partially credited to the pressure he was facing. It was the worst game our offense has played all year, and really we should credit part of the scoring to the defense thanks to the three turnovers it caused. Notre dame prevented the two turnovers deep in its own territory from being converted into touchdowns, and therefore I tip my hat to the Irish. They will get better, and today showed that we must also get better if we're going to compete with them in the future.

So why did we need this game? It is the first time we have seriously had a game on the line in the fourth quarter and we responded well. I am concentrating more on that than the fact that we played really badly today on offense. As bad as things went today, there is a lot we can take away from it and build on if we choose to. It can't be ignored that Notre Dame made a TON of mistakes today in order to sustain its misery. The late hit on Painter as he was running out of bounds 10 yards short of a first down, two missed extra points, and a blocked field goal are all examples. The Irish must become a much more disciplined team if they expect to compete in the future.

Overall I would rate today as a C effort at best, and that is what is most encouraging. We played a far from perfect game and still won quite easily. Next week will require an A effort, but for now let's enjoy being 5-0 for just the second time since 1945. It also helps to have the Shillelagh back in the trophy case for another year. Now we need to look forward to the Buckeyes, and even though they won 30-7 tonight I think we have a shot. It's our first chance to make a national statement in three years, and we need to take advantage.

The Annual Clemson Collapse

Posted Sep 29th 2007 11:34PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Clemson Football, Georgia Tech Football, ACC
tbowden2.jpg
Something about Clemson under Tommy Bowden. You know an inexplicable loss is coming. Likely something that makes no sense in the way they lose and always seems to tie into special teams. You also know it will happen sometime between weeks 4 and 8. It's just when.

This year, Clemson didn't waste much time. They went inept against Georgia Tech. Losing 13-3. Failing to get a TD and missing four. Count them four field goals in the game. All the FG attempts came from inside the 30.

Clemson's running game disappeared. Spiller and Davis only got 62 yards on 21 carries. That meant relying on the pass by Clemson. Something that no one trusts.

Still, it comes back to missing field goals -- again. Lousy reruns. Didn't Clemson have this problem just a couple years ago where it got so bad that the Tigers weren't even trying extra points because of unreliability?

Crazy Saturday

Whoa!
Florida loses to Auburn
Oklahoma loses to Colorado (This was shocking, to me)
West Virginia loses to USF (Friday)
Texas gets crushed by KState (UT was over-rated)
Rutgers loses to Maryland (Rutgers never belonged in the top-10)

"Hey, We're 0-5!!"

Plus:
-Notre Dame is 0-5 for the first time in their program's history. They broke the 0-4 record set by themselves in the previous week. (UND is now in elite company with only Colorado State, Marshall, La-Monroe, Utah State, La-Laf, Rice & Fla. Int'l. in D-I without a win!)
-Illinois gave Zook his first big win as the Illini's coach.
-Indiana crushed Iowa (I think I was wrong...they're going to a bowl)
-Georgia Tech continued their up-and-down season by beating Clemson.
-MSU took Wisconsin to the brink of a home loss (Wisconsin is over-rated).
-VA Tech squeaked by UNC (VA Tech is over-rated).
-'Bama lost to FSU ('Bama is over-rated, and Saban is still Tiller's bitch.)

I love college football!

Today Is Why College Football Is the Best Game Around

Posted Sep 29th 2007 10:15PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 10, SEC, The Word
colorado-celebration-180.jpg
And it isn't even close.

Think about it. On the bad days, college football has its fallback of tradition and pageantry and regional fervor. On the good days? Incredible football. On the great days? An epic weekend like this. More are sure to come.

South Florida beat West Virginia on a magical night Friday. Oklahoma fell to Colorado. Texas fell to Kansas State. LSU was shook up and stunned in the first half against Tulane before rallying. Florida and Auburn are locked in a spectacular matchup in The Swamp tonight (seriously, tune in to that).

Michigan State took Wisconsin to the brink and embarrassed the Badger rush defense. Washington pushed USC around in the first half. Cal against Oregon was decided on the game's last play after a magical fourth quarter. Rutgers lost at home to freaking Maryland. Illinois stunned Penn State! Indiana put Iowa to shame and recalled the legacy of coach Terry Hoeppner. Michigan displayed its vulnerability once again to the spread offense.

All these elite teams had ruinous days, but will still have glorious seasons.

In the meantime it's been an amazing day of football. The variety of offenses and defenses on display, the game's young stars (anyone see Arrelious Benn tear up Penn State?), everything was magical today. Keep in mind this was supposed to be a slow weekend, a yawning tune-up to next weekend's star-studded matchups like Florida/LSU and Texas/Oklahoma.

College football fans showed up to a business meeting today and a big ol' party broke out.

Did you see Florida State beat Alabama? You gotta know that meant a hell of a lot to lifelong Alabama fan Bobby Bowden.

Who needs neatly packaged three-hour games between teams running the same exact offense and defense? We got soul and magic, games between the service academies and every Saturday from September until December.

Revenge of the ACC

Posted Sep 29th 2007 11:07PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Alabama Football, Florida State Football, Maryland Football, Virginia Football, ACC, SEC
fsubama.jpg
Sure the Big 10 has taken its fair share of abuse this year. The Big East has and will take some more after Louisville, WVU and now Rutgers have fallen. Still, no conference has taken more grief the last couple years than the ACC.

Today, the ACC got a measure of respect back this evening. Maryland went in to New Jersey and beat a top-ten team. Virginia smacked around Pitt in the battle between bad ex-NFL coaches. Then there was Florida State showing some pride still existed as they took out Alabama 21-14.

The FSU defense kept the Crimson Tide from ever getting anything together. Xavier Lee came off the bench for FSU to provide the offense some energy by accounting for 283 of the 348 total yards.
"He gave us some mobility at quarterback and offensively he won the game," Bowden said. "He did what we've always wanted him to do. Xavier has always been a young man with great potential and I thought tonight he began to use that potential."
Overall, a good weekend for the ACC in the non-conference schedule. Just pay no attention to the dogs that were on the conference slate (and pretend that Boston College didn't really struggle with 1-AA UMass).

Postgame React

by HornsFan Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 10:18:35 PM EDT

All I want to do is go out and not think about this right now, but... let's get this out of the way.
The outcome was: Disastrous. Before we talk about Texas, though - a congratulations to Kansas State. They were prepared, focused, and poised. Texas got outcoached and outplayed in every phase of the game, and Ron Prince and his staff deserve credit for coming to Austin and whipping the Longhorns senseless. Literally, in some cases.
The Offensive MVP was: Honestly, no one played well. The line got beat. Colt struggled. Charles never got going. The receivers were only so-so. I'm not being dramatic here; it's just that no one played very well.
The Defensive MVP was: I'm pretty sure every single Longhorn missed a tackle at some point. K-State didn't exactly rack up huge numbers, but they outplayed the Texas defense far too often.
The offensive Offensive Player Of The Week was: Greg Davis. The temptation for fans will be to rip on McCoy, and though he didn't have a good day, the offense as a whole was hung out to dry by Texas' coaches. Those who've read this site for any period of time know that I'm pretty patient with this staff, but there is no cause for patience tonight. Greg Davis had his worst game in years.
The offensive Defensive Player Of The Week was: Duane Akina and Larry MacDuff. Again, those kids deserved better than they got today. Texas' players got whipped, but this one goes right to the top. The staff is accountable for a performance like this, and there's no sense in trying to rip the players when they were barely given a chance. I'll put it this way: Jordy Nelson owes Akina a Christmas card.
John Chiles Watch: 7 carries, 28 yards. 1-4 passing, 17 yards. We got little teases of Chiles, but the pattern of usage was pretty silly. The thing that really bothered me was that Texas would throw a dinky pass underneath on first down, incomplete. 2nd and 10? We'd bring in Chiles. And everyone knew what play Davis was gonna run. And KSU had no trouble stopping it. 3rd and long. Just a waste. (More on Chiles usage in a separate post.)
Vondrell McGee Watch: 3 carries, 2 yards, 1 TD. Vondrell was brought in to punch the ball in the end zone, but not used otherwise. Greg Davis was more content to throw dinky passes short than try to use this talented running back. Just sad.
Oklahoma Fear Factor: 10 out of 10.... (5) is the baseline. (-1) for Oklahoma got tripped up in Boulder. (+6) for we just got whipped silly by K-State in Austin.
Heading into next week I feel: A little relieved? Admittedly, I'm speculating a bit here. Right now, I'm pretty damn disappointed and pissed off. But I think most of us didn't watch the first four games and think that this team was going to survive the year without at least a loss or two. Texas' weaknesses were exposed in the first four weeks. They were brutally taken advantage of on Saturday.
The upside, then? We enter OU Hate Week without having to worry about a loss to the Sooners costing us something grand. We can just hate OU. We can also talk honestly and openly about the problems without having to tiptoe awkwardly around the fact that we're still undefeated.
No, this team is flawed and troubled in a number of ways, and today put everyone, who wasn't already, on notice. There's enough exciting talent in this program to feel really good about things overall, but there have been some obvious roadblocks which haven't been adressed. Sorry, Mack - the Vince Young honeymoon is officially over.

McCoy suffered mild concussion

By Suzanne Halliburton | Saturday, September 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy suffered a mild concussion in the Kansas State loss Saturday.
According to UT officials, McCoy will be evaluated again early next week to see if he can play against Oklahoma.
McCoy left the game before halftime, but returned and played much of the second half. He was pulled again late in the fourth quarter after he started throwing up on the sidelines.
McCoy was in the trainers’ area for more than hour after the game and was not available for interviews. However, he gave a statement that was issued by the Texas sports information staff.
He did not say anything about his injury, but complimented the K-State defense, which picked off four of his passes.
“Now we need to regroup,” he said. “keep working hard and get ready for Oklahoma. That’s always a huge game and with both of us losing this week, we’re both going to want to get back on the winning track.”

Therapy

by HornsFan Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 08:34:51 PM EDT

There are a lot of pleas for help out there.
"Make us feel better!"
"Please post a picture of cheerleaders or something!"
That's what I'm here for, of course. Ask and you shall receive.
Today's loss may have been one of the worst in years, but life goes on. And the girls in Texas are still beautiful.
cheerup.bmp

They may not have had much to smile about today, but they always look good trying.

Badgers Overcome Embarrassing Defense

Posted Sep 29th 2007 8:10PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Michigan State Football, Wisconsin Football, Big 10
pj-hill.jpg
When Wisconsin runs for 200 yards, has a quarterback throw for more than 200 yards, and they get a receiver over 100 yards, they are probably going to win an insanely high percentage of the time.

Saturday, however, it took the work of the maligned Badger defense to secure a 37-34 win over Michigan State. The win moves the nation's longest winning streak to 14 as Bucky improves to 5-0. Next up for Wisconsin is a showdown at Illinois next weekend, and they have six days to find their run defense.

The Spartans tore through the overhyped Badger defense for over 560 yards of offense, including 241 on the ground. Javon Ringer needed just ten rushes to hit 145 yards. When they weren't running at will, Brian Hoyer was picking apart Wisconsin's vastly-overrated secondary for 323 yards. Hoyer's second-quarter fumble was Sparty's only turnover.

Wisconsin's offense wasn't terrible, either. P.J. Hill ran for 155 yards, Tyler Donovan threw for 247, and Travis Beckum caught ten passes for 132 yards. Hill ran for two scores and Donovan threw for two. After going over 700 combined yards in the first half, the two teams ended up with 1,025 yards for the game.

For Michigan State, the offensive effort was nothing short of superb. They had Wisconsin off-balance all afternoon, and looked at times to be scoring at will. It wasn't until the closing minutes of the fourth quarter that Wisconsin got the two defensive stops that would secure the victory.

After a field goal gave the Badgers a 37-34 lead, Michigan State marched right back into field goal range. However, a third-down run by Ringer fell short of the first down, and it forced kicker Brett Swenson to try a 53-yard kick, which missed wide left. Then, after MSU got the ball back with 2:11 left, the Badger defense stiffened, stopping the Spartans just short of field goal range when Hoyer misfired on a fourth-down pass to Ringer.

All in all, Michigan State has to be pleased with their effort against easily the best team they've played so far. Wisconsin, however, needs to head back to the drawing board on defense. They've struggled in that area in four of their five games so far, and if they don't fix the run defense, they won't get out of this two-week stretch of road games with a winning streak (they play Penn State after the Illinois game).

With teams like Oregon and Oklahoma losing today, Wisconsin may rise in the polls. It's misleading, however, because the Badgers are simply not a legitimate top-ten team right now.

Rutgers Has No Excuse

Posted Sep 29th 2007 7:20PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Maryland Football, ACC, Big East, Rutgers Football
mteel1.jpg
A pathetic performance against Maryland. How does a team, that hasn't had a real challenge all season; played at home for every game; and is coming off the bye, struggle -- let alone lose -- when it claims/aspires to be a top-10/BCS Championship team? Short answer, there is no excuse.

The Scarlet Knights somehow felt that by showing up they could crush the Terrapins the way West Virginia had earlier in the season. It showed throughout the game. Even when they came back to take a 17-14 lead at the end of the first half, Rutgers acted like a team that was far more arrogant than their history suggested.

Maryland never bought into it. They lost their starting QB, and the back-up QB never missed a beat. The Terrapins made no excuses and beat a top-10 team for the first time in 3 years.

Rutgers defense made the big stop in a 4th down and short inside of 3 minutes. Rather than get off the field and let the offense get back out there, they committed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty to start the offense in a deeper hole. Rutgers crumbled. The line collapsed on QB Mike Teel on 4th and 10.

After that, Maryland just ran an easy TD in to take a 34-24 lead with 2:04 left. The announcing crew speculated that Schiano did that on purpose to allow the offense more time. It made little difference. Rutgers never showed up in Piscataway.

Cal Wins On Miraculous Oregon Touchback

Posted Sep 29th 2007 7:15PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: California Football, Oregon Football, Pac 10, Featured Stories, The Word
nate-longshore-pass-180.jpg
People are going to be talking about this one

Cal just beat Oregon on next to the last play of the game. With just a 31-24 lead, Cal punted with under a minute left to Oregon. The Ducks then drove down the field, and appeared ready to score the game-tying touchdown. Amazingly, the Duck receiver fumbled the ball heading towards the pylon, and the ball bounced into the end zone before rolling out of bounds.

Officials reviewed the play, and the ruling stood: touchback with just 0:16 left. Cal ball, game over Bears win 31-24.

It was an amazing fourth quarter after both teams found themselves locked at 10-all late in the third quarter. Cal receiver DeSean Jackson went nuts with 11 receptions for over 150 yards and two touchdowns. Cal quarterback Nate Longshore went down for a while with an injury. Oregon tossed a late interception on what looked like an apparent touchdown drive. Cal missed a field goal earlier in the game but officials ruled it a miss.

When it mattered most, Cal's defense kept its poise and forced turnovers on three consecutive Duck drives.

Just a wild afternoon for both teams in a wild day of college football. If this had been a quiet Saturday, folks might question Cal's presence in the top 10. By virtue of everyone else's performance today (Rutgers, Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin etc.) it's hard to see either team anywhere else but inside the top 10. Weird, huh?

Syracuse Returns to Reality

Posted Sep 29th 2007 6:48PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Syracuse Football, Big East, MAC, Miami (OH) Football
grobinson.jpg
With a noticeable ring of the Miami bell in Oxford, Ohio, and a definitive thud for Syracuse.

Miami (OH) went up on Syracuse 14-0. The Redhawks held on for a slim 17-14 win despite outgaining the Orange 446-315 and a nearly 14 minute advantage in time of possession. Primarily because the Redhawks turned the ball over 3 times on interceptions to keep giving Syracuse opportunities.

Syracuse was unable to do anything with it because the lack of an offensive line and running game once again made the difference -- only 65 total rushing yards. While Syracuse QB Andrew Robinson performed well, once more, the one-dimensional aspect and inability to sustain drives (3-13 on 3d downs) only made the 'Cuse cosmetically close.

LET HATE WEEK BEGIN

450 yards? AT HOME? To Iowa State? The same Iowa State that came into the game ranked #102 in the nation in scoring offense?

Let the bodies hit the floor. More to come soon.

PS – How is crazy blog guy’s CU-to-win-the-North prediction now?

Colorado Topples Oklahoma In Last Second

Posted Sep 29th 2007 5:19PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Colorado Football, Oklahoma Football, Big 12, Breaking News, The Word
hugh-charles-against-oklahoma-425.jpg

Well, we have our story of the day. After a disastrous morning for the Big Ten, Oklahoma's defeat against Colorado will save their bee-hinds during the highlight shows.

Redshift freshman Sooner quarterback Sam Bradford - who had been nearly flawless up to this point - finally fell to Earth. Bradford completed just 8 of 19 attempts and tossed two interceptions. Colorado executed a solid gameplan to nickle and dime and manufacture points and put themselves in a position for the win in the fourth quarter.

They did exactly that, Outscoring the Sooners 17-0 in the final frame and nailing the game-winning field goal as time expired.

We'll leave the rest up to victorious coach Dan Hawkins:
I told them the whole week 'guys we're winning this game'. And not because I'm the Swami. [snip]

It's not magic dust. We thought we'd get it done versus Georgia last year. Didn't happen. Set us back a little bit. I think it would be great momentum for these guys if we can continue to play with confidence, and then you have that ultimate buy-in. So we just got to keep hammering this thing.
Well this puts a bit of a damper on the Red River Shootout, no?

Morelli Aids the Illini Non-Upset

Posted Sep 29th 2007 4:50PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Penn State Football, Big 10, Illinois Football
amorelli.jpg
Excuse me if I don't think Illinois beating Penn State 27-20 as an upset when everyone was already predicting this loss. Whether it was the entire staff of the Harrisburg, PA newspaper; SI.com's Stewart Mandel; CBS Sportsline's Dennis Dodd; or ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman. There was no shortage of people picking against Penn State.

As much as Morelli kept the Nittany Lions in the first half, he single-handedly killed their chances in the second half. The Penn State defense responded to a horrid first half to keep the Illini down. Penn State QB Anthony Morelli kept giving it back. Three interceptions and a fumble. So many in the red zone to kill the Penn State morale and give Illinois hope.

Morelli would drive the Lions down and then brain lock. No other way to put it. A painful thing to watch as Morelli killed Penn State in this game. All self-inflicted.

Illinois 27 - Penn State 20
By Mike Section: Football
Posted on Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 05:13:50 PM EDT
</I>

So there it is. I said last year that Morelli was a loser. After the Outback Bowl I humbly said Mea Culpa. I defended his poor play against Notre Dame. I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Michigan saying Austin Scott, the offensive line, and the coaches were just as much to blame. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool more four or five times, well I'm definitely maybe not falling for that again. I'm tired of making excuses for Anthony Morelli.
With Penn State within one score of taking the lead or tying the game, the last four drives all entered Illinios territory. They ended interception, interception, fumble, and interception. All on the head of Anthony Morelli. Four times the Nittany Lions had a chance to take the lead or tie the game. Four times Anthony Morelli blew it.
Other than #14 I thought it was a great game by the rest of the team. Rodney Kinlaw fumbled, but that was more on the defender making a great play rather than him being careless. The coaches did a fantasic job opening up the offense. The defense was a little shaky in the first half but tightened up and only gave up six points in the second half. The game was there for the taking, and #14 blew it. I'm so disgusted I can't even type his name anymore. He's forever #14 to me now. The season is in freefall now. Who knows where it stops. Four losses? Five losses? Do we make a bowl game? Hang on Alice. We'll find out soon enough how deep this rabbit hole goes.

That'll Be All For Iowa

Posted Sep 29th 2007 3:55PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Indiana Football, Iowa Football, Big 10
kirk-ferentz-sarcastic-clap.jpg
Any thoughts of contending for a Big Ten title (in a year where Ohio State and Michigan rotated off the conference schedule) appear to have gone away for Iowa.

The Hawkeyes actually put forth a good defensive effort last week in Madison, even though they lost. But a myriad of problems have led to an 0-2 Big Ten start, thanks to a 38-20 loss to Indiana Saturday in Iowa City.

Iowa is banged up, especially at wide receiver, where coach Kirk Ferentz has been forced to play more freshmen than any Big Ten coach usually wants to. Instead of relying on experienced talents like Dominique Douglas (off-field troubles), Tony Moeaki (injured), or Andy Brodell (injured), sophomore QB Jake Christensen had freshmen Derrell Johnson-Koulianos and James Cleveland working as his primary targets Saturday.

To make matters worse, the defense is also nicked. Middle linebacker Mike Klinkenborg and safety Devon Moylan both missed the game with head injuries.

An offense that prides itself on the offensive line isn't blocking consistently well for running backs Damian Sims and Albert Young, and the pass protection for Christensen broke down a few times in Saturday's game. Young's numbers weren't bad in this game, but he didn't get the ball enough before Indiana started to pull away.

With the loss, Iowa has now dropped five straight Big Ten games dating back to last season. The 0-2 start in 2007 is not a good omen for them. Iowa travels to Penn State next weekend, then hosts resurgent Illinois. Following that is a trip to unbeaten Purdue and a home date with current unbeaten Michigan State (on the field against Wisconsin right now).

They could win those home games, but they could also start the Big Ten season 0-6. At this point, it's going to take a road upset to attain even a 3-3 start in Big Ten play.

On the other side of the field, Indiana (4-1 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) was impressive. The Hoosiers didn't run the ball well at all, averaging barely two yards per attempt. However, QB Kellen Lewis was very sharp, completing 19 of 26 passes for 323 yards and two scores. Lewis added a third touchdown when he picked up a fumble by teammate Josiah Sears in the first half and ran 70 yards for a score.

James Hardy went over 100 yards receiving, and Indiana showed much poise in a tough road environment. The Hoosiers led 21-0 late in the second quarter, but Iowa scored on the last play of the first half to get on the board. After Iowa scored in the third quarter to cut the deficit to 21-13 (the extra point was missed), Indiana responded with an impressive 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive to bulge the lead back to two scores. Included in the drive was a superb 24-yard pass from Lewis to Brandon Walker-Roby on fourth down and five. The play got IU inside the Iowa five, and they quickly cashed in to make it 28-13.

After an Indiana field goal, Christensen led a scoring drive to pull Iowa within 11 at 31-20, but the Hoosiers again responded. A 12-play, 69-yard drive ended with Sears' second scoring run of the game to close the scoring.

The Hoosiers have a lot to be proud of. Indiana has four wins on the year, leaving them two away from their stated goal of playing a "13th game" this year, in honor of late head coach Terry Hoeppner, who used "Play 13" as a battle cry last year. Interim coach Bill Lynch is doing an outstanding job so far, and his veteran leadership has stepped up on the field. Lewis looks better and better at quarterback every week. The schedule is still tough, with trips to Michigan State and Wisconsin still to come, along with home games against Penn State and Purdue. However, there are "winnable" games all over the schedule, including next week's clash with Minnesota.

Indiana has a chance to become a great story in this Big Ten season, and I doubt anyone would vehemently complain with all that program has gone through.

Purdue Creates a ND QB Controversy

Posted Sep 29th 2007 3:51PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, Big 10, Purdue Football
jtiller.jpg
Don't be fooled. Despite ND actually outscoring Purdue 19-10 in the second half to make it a respectable 33-19 loss, ND did not look significantly better. Purdue head coach Joe Tiller put his team into a conservative, prevent game the entire second half to make every Boilermaker fan scared and ND fans got false hope.

Golden emu Jimmy Clausen left the game in the second half with an apparent rib injury. Evan Sharpley came in and directed the Irish into the endzone twice in the 4th quarter. ND still couldn't run the ball (55 rushing yards for the RBs) and the defense gave up almost 450 yards. What the focus will be, though, is that Sharpley put up 208 yards in less than a quarter-and-a-half.

As good as ND looked in the second half, they were aided by a Purdue effort that could be charitably considered "turtling up." On both sides of the ball, the Boilermakers refused stopped the aggressive play that let them race out to a big lead. They sat back and let Notre Dame attack.

After this game it can be expected that there will be those writing about how ND is showing progress and getting closer. That Sharpley gives them their best chance to win. No. ND's problems are more than just a QB.

Purdue isn't nearly as good as a 5-0 record suggests. They stopped trying -- with the encouragement of the coaching -- in the second half; and struggled to get refocused when ND made any plays.

Evan Sharpley Just Took Jimmy Clausen's Job

Posted Sep 29th 2007 3:48PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, NCAA FB Rumors, Purdue Football
evansharpley.jpg
The final gun just sounded on Notre Dame's 33-19 loss to the Purdue Boilermakers, and we can now officially say this is the first time in school history the Irish have started 0-5.

Congratulations, fellas.

The good news for Irish faithful is that does appear to be some hope. As Charles Rich said earlier, the Irish were getting killed in the first half. The 23-0 deficit they faced then didn't tell the entire story. In the second half though, the Irish showed up.

Jimmy Clausen threw his first career touchdown pass to get the Irish on the board, but that wasn't the best thing he did for Notre Dame on Saturday. Clausen eventually left the game due to what appeared to be a hip pointer, and in stepped Evan Sharpley.

Once Sharpley came on the field, the entire Notre Dame offense changed. They actually resembled, dare I say it, a competent college offense. The Irish gained 431 yards on the day, which I'm pretty sure is 431 more yards than they had gained all season. Sharpley went 16-for-26 in the second half for 208 yards and two touchdowns, as the Irish managed to pull within a touchdown at 26-19 with eight minutes to go.

Unfortunately, the second half surge ran out of gas as Purdue held off and added another touchdown before things were all said and done. The question now becomes who starts next week: Jimmy Clausen or Evan Sharpley?

After what I saw today, I don't think there's any question. It should be Sharpley. Clausen didn't play horribly, but the offense still never looked in sync with him out there, even when they moved the ball. Sharpley on the other hand ran the offense smoothly, and moved the ball down the field consistently. The only mistake he made-which granted, was a big one-was an interception he threw in the red zone that iced the game for Purdue.

If Charlie Weis wants the Irish to have any chance in the coming weeks against UCLA, Boston College, or USC, he has to start Sharpley next week.

What cracks me up about this picture is that the Golden Emu is in background right of the picture giving a huff and puff look on his face.

evansharpley.jpg

When Shock Isn't so Shocking

Well that got real interesting real quick.

First of all, let’s get some things out of the way before Hate Week really starts to roll. First, huge congrats to my KSU and CU friends. Both schools got gigantic wins a couple hours apart; far exceeding what Bill Callahan has done in 4 seasons. (Although yesterday’s win over juggernaut ISU was huge…but I’ll get to that in a second.) The Buffs showed guts and a nasty defense in the final quarter or so. K-State basically used special teams and defense to beatdown an obviously uninterested Texas team. Neither of these wins can be diminished by their importance.

This morning, message boards, blogs and newspapers are now suddenly decrying that the Big 12 North is now completely wide open, with anybody and everybody having a shot (except for ISU) at winning on a given Saturday. I guess my only question with that statement is…

“Suddenly”?

Ummmm, in case you didn’t notice, I’ve told you for two years now that Colorado isn’t going anywhere. I’ve told you for two years now that although K-State struggles with inconsistency at times, they’ve got a wicked young QB and a lot of skilled players on defense. Does anybody remember this? Remember the snide remarks after my big 12 preview?

Truth be told, the North is absolutely no different than I thought it would be. Oklahoma obviously imploded against CU. Obviously Texas is one of the most overrated teams on earth, and was looking toward Dallas next week. Both the Buffs and Cats have more than enough talent leftover from their coaching changes to beat somebody…even good teams home or away.

Does this mean some new order has suddenly sprang up in the conference? Not especially. Both teams are still rather young, and have some rather significant hurdles to jump over. Does that mean that this Saturday’s Missouri vs. Nebraska game is diminished? Does it mean that we’re back to earlier in the decade, where CU goes to 3 of 4 title games, and Bill Snyder is still knocking people around? Not yet..at least I don’t believe so.

It does mean one thing however.

Nebraska is in deep shit. Not that any of them would notice of course.

Apparently, the blackshirts are BACK!!!! Apparently, all of the previous problems of last week have been magically solved with a 18 point win over the worst team in the Big 12. (Yes, the worst team in the Big 12. Baylor is better.) I do have a question though: How do you let up 415 yards to Iowa State when they’re the number 102nd ranked offense IN THE COUNTRY? Does anybody else find this odd? Funny, Kent State held them to 306. Toledo and Mighty Northern Iowa held them to less than 400. But 415 at home? The Blackshirts are back? Huh?

Funny how many preached the NU defense would be “vastly” improved, now scoff at the fact that the Huskers are sitting 67th in the nation in scoring defense. And yes, that’s nine whole points worse than Missouri..the same defense Husker fans have mocked since week #1. I’m sure that 98th in the nation in sacks, and 68th in the nation in tackles for loss is just a fluke.

Of the next three opponents, the blackskirts will face: The #5 Total offense in the country in Mizzou. The #5 rushing team in the country in Texas A&M and the #8 rushing offense in the nation in Oklahoma State. Now I ask you…if Iowa State and Ball State can roll up 1025 yards between them IN LINCOLN…what in the hell are those three teams gonna do?

I understand I’m a TINGE bit biased and I’ve obviously been wrong a lot…but would it shock anyone if Nebraska lost every game the rest of the way? Don’t laugh, look at the schedule. After those three games I just mentioned, things really get tough. Road dates with Texas (They’re overrated, but probably better than Ball State), Kansas (we know what happened in 2005 in Lawrence) and a home game with K-State all precede the trip to Colorado at Thanksgiving time. So the last four games consist of at least semi-difficult road games, and the one home game brings in the QB you all mocked and called his mom a bad parent. Do I think all that will happen? Probably not, but the possibility is there.

Good luck with that.

Finally, a special Hate Week “Jackass of the Week” to Husker beat writer Rich Kaipust, who apparently thought Nebraska should be ranked over Mizzou due to a marquee road-win against mighty 2-2 Wake Forest. In his vote last week, Nebraska was 20th, while Mizzou was off his ballot. In Friday night’s Omaha World Herald, Rich calls Illinois an “also ran” and defends his placing of the hometown Hicks by saying they’re the only ones who have “done something of note”.

610 yards to Ball State at home? (It was written before the Huskers let ISU roll up 400+ yards on 102..yes ONE HUNDRED AND TWO plays. )

DONE SOMETHING OF NOTE?!?! If that doesn’t paint an entire picture with one broad stroke, nothing else will. And THIS is a guy who actually helps decide a national champion? I’m well aware of slander laws in this country, so I shall withhold my true thoughts on this Kool-Aid drinking douchebag. This is the typical Husker arrogance and ignorance that define the most shameful and pathetic excuse for media in any market in the United States. (I would say in the world, but there’s probably some idiot in Turkey or somewhere who has a 0-5 cricket team ranked too high).

More to come tomorrow in what I’m sure will be a very interesting week.

Nebraska D still isn't very good though the stats, as they usually are, are a bit misleading. Nebraska gave up 415 yards, but this was on over 100 plays from Iowa St. so it works out to be 4.1 yards per play which isn't terrible. Some of this was b/c the Blackshirts couldn't get off the field on 3rd down but some of it was also b/c the Huskers turned the ball over on their first 3 possessions and the Husker D had an INT for a TD and another INT that set up a 3 play drive. We'll see how good or bad the Blackshirts are next week at Mizzou, though I have very little confidence in Kevin Cosgrove, the D-Coord.

Nebraska Wins 'Strange' Game Over Iowa State

Posted Sep 30th 2007 12:07PM by Jeff Adams
Filed under: Nebraska Football, Big 12
marlon-lucky-240.jpg
With no television coverage (an odditiy in itself), Nebraska fans without tickets gathered around their radios to follow Nebraska's 35-17 win over Iowa State. Unfortunately, the radio broadcast only hinted at how bizarre the game truly was.

The Cyclones who jumped out to a 10-0 lead, ran an incredible 102 plays on Saturday, compared to just 59 for Nebraska. Iowa State also outgained the Huskers 415-369. That marked the fourth straight game that Nebraska had given up more yards than they produced. Yet, somehow the Huskers still won rather convincingly and now sit at 4-1 along with most of the Top 25.

Much of Iowa State's early success can be attributed to Nebraska turnovers and defensive penalties on fourth down that kept Cyclone drives alive. Weird, wild, stuff really.
"I just think it was a really strange game today," [head coach Bill] Callahan said. "It was kind of weird in a lot of ways. They had the ball quite a bit ... It was just kind of a strange game, but in the end we made the plays we have to make."​
The key plays Callahan is referring to included a 20-yard halfback pass from Marlon Lucky to tightend Sean Hill. That score was set up by a 51-yard kickoff return by Cortney Grixby. Grixby who has frequently been criticized by Husker fans finished the game with two interceptions to along with some nice returns. He also deflected a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Bo Ruud and returned 93-yards for a backbreaking touchdown.

In the end, Nebraska wins by 18 on a day when the college football landscape changed drastically. But Husker fans – who are never truly satisfied – found themselves once again feeling unfulfilled after a Nebraska win. I, on the other hand, take solace in the three wins the Huskers have grinded out over Wake Forest, Ball State and Iowa State. With an October slate that includes a trips to Missouri and Texas and home games against Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, style points become increasingly passé.

Big 12 Roundup: Nobody's Safe Anymore

by HornsFan Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 11:43:01 AM EDT

Oh how quickly things change...
meltdownsaturday.bmp

Saturday was not a good day to be ranked in the Top 25.
The weekend's upsets weren't confined to the Big 12, of course, but it might have been the conference rocked the hardest.
big12standings2.bmp

Colorado 27 Oklahoma 24
Game Box Score
Wow. Just... wow. The Sooners were outscored 17-0 in the fourth quarter, a collapse far more stunning than Texas' beatdown in Austin. The Buffaloes limited Oklahoma to an embarrassing 230 yards of total offense, forced three turnovers, and controlled the football for 39 out of the game's 60 minutes. Even with Colorado's improved play this season, there was just no indication that this upset was coming. I saw a lot of people take Colorado on the betting line yesterday, but I don't know anyone who took the Buffalos on the money line. If there's one thing that made yesterday's loss to Kansas State bearable, it was Oklahoma's bed wetting in Boulder.
<INS>Next for Oklahoma: vs Texas
Next for Colorado: at Baylor</INS>
Nebraska 35 Iowa State 17
Game Box Score
Move along, now. Nothing to see here. The Huskers got back in the win column, but it was a pretty ugly affair. Nebraska suffered through three turnovers, while Iowa State gave up the ball on four separate occasions. Sadly, after yesterday, the Big 12 North jokes don't have much bite. Sigh.
<INS>Next for Nebraska: at Missouri
Next for Iowa State: at Texas Tech</INS>
Texas A&M 34 Baylor 10
Game Box Score
I had to bet a lot of money just to cover the expense of the pre-game injury report that I purchased. (Not that Fran was selling this stuff for the purposes of aiding gamblers. Nope. Nuh-uh.)
<INS>Next for Texas A&M: vs Oklahoma State
Next for Baylor: vs Colorado</INS>
Texas Tech 75 Northwestern State 7
Game Box Score
The Red Raiders passed for 534 yards and 8 touchdowns, and Michael Crabtree is the best wide receiver in the country that nobody is talking about.
By the way, has anyone heard of Northwestern State before? Did Texas Tech even play a collegiate team?
<INS>Next for Texas Tech: vs Iowa State</INS>
Oklahoma State 39 Sam Houston State 3
Whew. Thank goodness Tech and Oklahoma State were out there saving the Big 12 South's image. Two strong teams making two strong statements about their potency. About the Big 12's potency. About...
Okay, I can't do this. I tried.
<INS>Next for Oklahoma State: at Texas A&M</INS>

Arizona's Tuitama Torches Hapless WSU Defense

Posted Sep 30th 2007 11:24AM by Sean Hawkins
Filed under: Washington State Football, Pac 10, Arizona Football
willie-tuitama-rollout.jpg
The projected airshow hit Tucson alright, but it was extremely one-sided. Arizona's Willie Tuitama absolutely shredded the hapless WSU passing defense to the tune of 346 yards and five TD passes in the 48-20 domination. All told, Arizona would total an astounding 567 yards of total offense against a WSU defense that is, without a doubt, completely overmatched against above-average competition.
It's not so much that Arizona had success through the air. You knew going in that they would rack up yards in bunches against this Cougar pass defense. But Arizona's ground game took off behind true frosh running back Nicholas Grigsby, who had 186 impressive yards in his first home start of his career. Grigsby averaged 6.2 yards per carry, and oh yeah, he led Arizona in receptions with nine, including a touchdown. Arizona only punted one time, and that's now just one punt over the last eight quarters that the WSU defense has "forced". When you can't get the other team's offense off the field, how can you ever expect to win?
The Cougar offense did what it could, and Alex Brink kept them in the hunt into the 3rd quarter. His TD pass to Brandon Gibson would tie it up at 20 on the first drive of the second half, and it looked like momentum swung WSU's way. But Arizona just kept doing whatever it wanted to, possession after possession, and when the WSU offense stalled, that was all she wrote. Brink would finish with 347 yards and three TD passes, very respectable numbers against a veteran Arizona defense. And WR Brandon Gibson continued his excellent 2007 start with 11 catches for 127 yards and a TD. Gibson is one of the best WR's in the conference and even an all-conference cornerback like Arizona's Antoine Cason couldn't slow him down.
Meanwhile Mike Stoops can at least dial down the temp on his hot seat to medium after Arizona's best offensive show in Stoops' four-year tenure. This new Texas Tech spread offense seems to fit Tuitama like a glove, and after some bumpy spots early in the season, there's no telling how many good things are coming for Arizona the rest of the way. In the offense-happy Pac-10, the Wildcats have the look of a team that could cause some major headaches over the rest of the season. But the temp on WSU's Bill Doba's hotseat is now officially turned up to the max. With Arizona State up next, and the ASU offense under Dennis Erickson rolling into Pullman next Saturday, the 2007 season for WSU is now on life support. A couple of more nights like this one and it will be plug-pulling time in the Palouse.

Roundup: A 'Deceptive' Win
By Nestor Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 12:59:26 PM EDT
</I>

It look like you all have done an awesome job of articulating what has been going through my head after watching last night's ugly win.

As expected players and coaches' quotes have shown up all over the local players, blowing up another meaningless win over a pathetic lower tier Pac-10 program that UCLA should cream 9 out of 10 times.

Anyone who watched that game last night knows what an ugly performance it was until when Oregon State decided to self destruct in spectacular fashion in the fourth quarter. Dohn to his credit called the 40-14 score "deceptive" aptly describing how the Beavers gift wrapped a UCLA win: Breazell turned the game with his catch, breaking of a tackle and running, but Oregon State (2-3, 0-2) placed the pretty blue and gold bow on the win with its inability to handle a rudimentary kickoff.

After Breazell's touchdown, Oregon State's Gerard Lawson fumbled the kickoff and Matt Slater fell on it.

"The ball was just laying there," Slater said. "I couldn't believe he didn't make an attempt to get back on it, or nobody else was there to get on it. I just hopped on it, and it was like, `Happy birthday.' It was just sitting there."

Three plays later Kahlil Bell, who fumbled on UCLA's first two offensive plays (the second of which was returned 33 yards by Al Afalava for a touchdown), finished the drive with a 4-yard run to give UCLA a 26-14 lead.

Lawson then fumbled on the next kickoff, which was recovered by Rodney Van on Oregon State's 39. After four Chris Markey runs, Olson connected with Breazell for a 30-yard score.

"We came through when it mattered the most, and that's the most important thing," Olson said. "We just wore them down, plain and simple. Out there at the end, we were playing harder than they were."

In 2 minutes, 45 seconds, UCLA scored 21 points and turned a 14-12 offensive mess into a 33-14 lead, which made it seem ancillary the Bruins didn't have a first down until the 8:35 mark of the second quarter.

The Beavers demonstrated losing last week's 19-0 lead at Arizona State wasn't a one-time trick.
Yet it didn't stop the players from blowing up this win:
`'This is the most hostile territory I think I've been in and just to hear 45,000 people just shut up instantly is the most amazing feeling,'' defensive end Bruce Davis said.
First of all it looked a environment from JC game where the home team couldn't actually fill out its 45,000 capacity stadium. Per the official attendance figure 41,137 not 45,000 bought ticket for that game, and the way stadium looked on television, I wonder if the actual attendance figure broke 40,000. Yet there was Davis and Brown (who to his credit did his job in terrorizing the arguable the worst quarterback in the Pac-10) weren't shy about painting what should be a routine victory for a Pac-10 championship caliber team into a "huge" one. Whatever.

These guys were probably taking their cue from their overhyped coordinator who also didn't waste any time in taking credit for this deceptive win:
"We really talked about redeveloping this defense," coordinator DeWayne Walker said. "There was talk about all the starters we had coming back. The first four weeks didn't look right. We challenged some guys, put the heat on guys, and they responded."
Uh yeah. So Walker is talking about his players responding 4 games into the season against a team UCLA dominates no matter who is the DC. We will see what kind of soundbites he comes up after the games against Cal and Oregon, teams that will come at us with vaunted spread Os, which he still hasn't shown any ability to solve.

Also worth noting from Dohn's article linked above:
"A little birdie told us they were going to try and establish the run," UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker said. "We knew they wanted to try and protect the quarterback a little bit. They like to throw the ball a little bit, but I think they tried to take a little heat off him."
Not exactly what he means by "little birdie," but I bet the SID from Corvallis might want to look that into a little more.

In any event, I think it will be foolish to take too much out of this defensive performance and the one we will surely see this coming Saturday, when our defense will expectedly pulverize a pathetic Irish games. Again these performances will mean nothing if they all get blown up by the offenses designed by Tedford and Bellotti.

Meanwhile, DeWayne's boss is nowhere to be found in LA area papers today. Its really weird. I have not see any major quotes from the Sleeping Beauty in any of the main LA papers this morning (if I have missed something please share them in this thread). However, what I did find was this usual satiric piece from Simers meant to agitate the Dorrell critics - that's us. I think Simes is trying to make the point that Dorrell is not out there making the plays or botching them, but missed the central point that it was a Dorrell led team that came out looking unprepared, not focused, looking hapless against a team they are supposed to dominate if the players performed up to their potential. Simers then went on to provide a disturbing quote from Guerrero:
"You could sense the confidence of the whole team; it was one of those games where you needed great technical and motivational halftime adjustments," said UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero, who had the choice of Riley or Dorrell. "Clearly our defense responded, and then finally we hit the home run."
OK, so you've got to worry about a former baseball player charged with the task of hiring a football coach and not understanding how the scoring works in the game, but right now up here in this Halloween outpost they would argue he got it right.

Uhm I am not sure how else to interpret that remark except that it totally misrepresents what actually happened in the game. The fact is of Oregon State had a competent QB and average special teams, they would have gone up with a bigger lead and put the game away by the beginning for the fourth quarter.

I am not sure what "confidence" DG is referring to but it is certainly not the "confidence" we see in a Ben Howland coached team, which imposes its will on the opposing team on the road during crunch time. There was nothing about last night's performance that gives any of us "confidence." To suggest such is a deep insult to the intelligence of the UCLA football community that follows this program on a day to day basis.

I do want to reiterate couple of positive notes in this roundup, which is to give huge props to Brandon Breazell and Ben Olson. Breazell has been amazing. And as Dorrelian noted early this am, Olson showed a lot yesterday. Despite being handcuffed by early turnovers, undisciplined, poorly coached OL that was killing drives, and providing him with no protection, he hung in there, took his shots, and came up with the win. And Oregon State's defense is a little better than Washington's defense that embarrassed itself at the Rose Bowl (before playing inspired against the Trojans).

Anyways, we are 4-1 on our way to 5-1. Then again as we have pointed out to before to celebrate this kind of "good start" as sign of progress in Dorrells program is nothing less than being in a state of denial. In last 4 years Dorrell's teams have started with a record of 4-2, 4-2, 6-0, and 4-2 only to fold and underachieve in the usual Dorrellian fashion every season. So to get excited about this deceptive 5-1 team after next weekend's destruction of Notre Dame, would not only be foolish but also ignorant given the Sleeping Beauty's mediocre track record in Westwood.

GO BRUINS.

LSU takes top ranking in AP poll

Close win over UW drops USC to No. 2 in Top 25

Posted: Sunday September 30, 2007 2:17PM; Updated: Sunday September 30, 2007 2:24PM

<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD width="100%"><TABLE class=cnntmbox cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cnnieboxtitle>AP Top 25</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnntmcontent><TABLE class=cnntm cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=cnniehdrrowbg><TD class=cnniecolhdrc>Rank</TD><TD class=cnniecolhdrc>Team</TD><TD class=cnniecolhdrc>Record</TD><TD class=cnniecolhdrc>Pts</TD><TD class=cnniecolhdrc>Pvs</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>1.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>LSU (33)</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,593</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>2.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Southern Cal (32)</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,591</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>3.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>California</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,475</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>6</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>4.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Ohio St.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,420</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>8</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>5.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Wisconsin</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,271</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>9</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>6.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>South Florida</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,203</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>18</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>7.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Boston College</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,172</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>12</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>8.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Kentucky</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,143</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>14</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>9.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Florida</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>1,031</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>10.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Oklahoma</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>992</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>3</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>11.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>South Carolina</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>900</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>16</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>12.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Georgia</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>885</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>15</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>13.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>West Virginia</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>861</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>14.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Oregon</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>837</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>11</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>15.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Virginia Tech</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>639</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>17</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>16.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Hawaii</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>586</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>19</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>17.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Missouri</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>561</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>20</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>18.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Arizona St.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>497</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>23</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>19.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Texas</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>449</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>7</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>20.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Cincinnati</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>377</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>24</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>21.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Rutgers</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>3-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>299</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>22.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Clemson</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>265</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>13</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>23.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Purdue</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>5-0</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>218</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>--</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>24.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Kansas St.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>3-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>214</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>--</TD></TR><TR class=cnnierowaltbg><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>25.</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtl>Nebraska</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>4-1</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>198</TD><TD class=cnniecoltxtc>25</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnntmfooter>Others receiving votes: Florida St. 101, Miami 83, Illinois 59, Auburn 52, UCLA 49, Texas A&M 29, Michigan St. 16, Michigan 15, Connecticut 9, Alabama 6, Arkansas 5, Colorado 5, UCF 5, Penn St. 4, Boise St. 3, Kansas 3, Virginia 3, Washington 1.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NEW YORK (AP) -- LSU reached No. 1 the hard way.
The Tigers edged past Southern California in the AP Top 25 on Sunday, even though the Trojans remained undefeated.
On a wild day in college football, when half the top 10 lost, USC avoided the upset bug that struck Oklahoma, Florida, Texas and Rutgers. But a sloppy 27-24 victory at Washington on Saturday night cost the Trojans the No. 1 ranking they've held all season.
LSU, which recovered from its own first-half malaise to beat Tulane 34-9, received 33 first-place votes from the media panel and 1,593 points. USC got 32 first-place votes, 11 fewer than last week, and 1,591 points.
The voting was the closest since the second poll of the 2002 season, when Miami and Oklahoma tied for No. 1 and each received 27 first-place votes.
LSU is No. 1 in the AP poll for the first time since Nov. 2, 1959.
The rest of the rankings released Sunday bore little resemblance to any of the previous polls, thanks to a crazy weekend in which three of the top five and seven of the top 13 teams lost.
Overall, nine ranked teams went down, seven to unranked opponents.
California moved up three spots to No. 3, Ohio State jumped for places to No. 4 and Wisconsin moved up five spots to No. 5. No. 6 South Florida was followed by Boston College, Kentucky, Florida and Oklahoma at No. 10.
After losing to South Florida on Friday, West Virginia University tumbled from No. 5 to No. 13.

After flat first half, Weis' hot air not enough

JEFF CARROLL

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Trevor Laws' teammates, almost to a man, stood straight-backed, composed. Evan Sharpley -- the eye of a budding quarterback controversy this week? -- even managed to change into a sharp gray suit.

Notre Dame defensive end Laws, on the other hand, crumpled into a hard plastic chair. His long dreadlocks hung over his face, spraying droplets of water at one point as he ran his hand through them. Wearing a team-issued warm-up suit, Laws stared straight down at the floor, an angst-ridden 1990s grunge rocker, post-show.

He seethed. He boiled. Some time had passed since his Irish team's 33-19 defeat to Purdue, and still Laws seemed to be fighting to stay hinged.

"It's been tough, man," Laws said, practically spat, rarely if ever looking up at his inquisitors.

He was absolutely right. It has.

Mostly it's been tough to figure out why Notre Dame's sense of urgency, so frequently, doesn't kick in until the second half of important games. Why the emotion that Laws was battling after a game that saw him rack up three more tackles for loss, including an 11-yard sack that his teammates soon wasted by yielding a conversion on 3rd-and-29, doesn't seem to wash over this team at game time.

By the time the teams headed to the locker room for adjustments on Saturday, it was 23-0 Purdue. And, for the most part, already over.

Indeed, Saturday's game at Ross-Ade Stadium was still important, even as the winless Irish have become the butt of late-night monologue jokes and snarky YouTube highlight mash-ups.

We learned some things about the Irish. About their personnel, for one. Duval Kamara? Good. Golden Tate? Goooood.

But most importantly, we learned something about their disposition. It seems so elementary, that these players do indeed respond to emotional pleas. That they know how to ride a wave.

At halftime, after what looked like a repeat of ND's shameful performance at Michigan two weeks ago, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis verbally pounded on his players.

"I had just had about enough," he said afterward. "I had just about enough of playing losing football."

Weis was also a bear at practice all week, he said. It's a dangerous tactic, considering how close a coach in this situation can be to losing his team for good. You wonder when the breaking point comes, when hot air begins traveling in one ear and out the other, all of it becoming white background noise. You wonder how they feel when Weis yet again boasts to them post-game that he plans to invite the blame in public, like it's an act of supreme nobility for a multimillion-dollar man to fall on that sword for his scholarship student-athletes.

It's difficult to give Weis a great deal of credit right now, considering that he has guided one of the nation's proudest football programs to an 0-5 record and ticking, and an ugly 0-5 at that.

Will someone recall wistfully decades from now, as they do of Knute Rockne and Frank Leahy's greatest motivational jobs, that glorious afternoon that Weis inspired his team to ... not get blown out against an, eh, so-so Purdue team? Were your eyes deceiving you? Was he really up there taking credit for a rousing second-half moral victory? Yep, he was.

But cynicism aside, it seemed to work. The Irish responded. They cut Purdue's advantage to a single touchdown in the fourth quarter.

But where is that urgency at kickoff? This isn't just about Purdue and Saturday's game. It dates much further back. There was the Fiesta Bowl loss to Ohio State to conclude 2005. And Weis' first home opener two seasons ago against Michigan State. And, of course, dual first-half flatlines last year against Michigan and USC, the games that even casual Irish fans had to know the season depended on, yet a fact the team somehow didn't appear to grasp.

The players claim that the emotion is there at the start.

"We went out there with that chip on our shoulders," said wide receiver George West.

"We're definitely emotional," said left tackle Sam Young.

Without access to it, it's tough to know exactly what goes on in the Notre Dame locker room before games. We do know that Weis has said in the past that he doesn't believe in "Win One for the Gipper" speeches. So maybe, then, he ought to start believing in them a little bit more, considering that his team forfeits so much emotional steam from the time it breaks from practice late in the week until it takes the field on Saturday afternoons. Weis joked that three acrobatic catches by Tate against the Boilermakers were drawn-in-the-dirt plays, and there's something to that, as well. College football games aren't just won by playbooks. They're won, also, with talent and emotion.

How much, however, of the latter do they have left at this point?

It was actually sad on Saturday to hear Laws, a fifth-year senior, talking about his duty for the rest of the season as the clock winds down on his college career, the word "rebuilding" tucked very clearly between the lines.

"I'm trying," he said, "to teach the young guys how to play football."

After last season, Laws had thought long and hard about whether to return for a fifth year at Notre Dame. He and his family consulted experts about his NFL draft value. All the way back in elementary school, Laws had written about his dream to play in the league -- "coarse and childlike," his mother Yevetta lovingly described it, recalling the rudimentary essay this past summer.

But in the end, Laws decided to stay at Notre Dame this season. And as he was trying without much luck to come down from another loss, No. 7 in a row overall for the Irish dating back to last season, his thoughts seemed to venture that way.

"It's not what I expected when I ..."

Then he stopped himself.

"It's been tough."

U-M faces penalty for using ineligible player

by Antoine Pitts | The Ann Arbor News Saturday September 29, 2007, 11:17 PM

EVANSTON, Ill. - Talking to reporters at halftime of Saturday's game, University of Michigan athletic director Bill Martin said the school may be penalized for using an ineligible player in the season's first four games.

Big Ten Conference officials are expected to rule later this week on what punishment U-M may receive for using freshman Artis Chambers.
Sanctions from the conference could include forfeiture of last week's victory over Penn State, Michigan's Big Ten opener.
"We had a misinterpretation of the Big Ten freshman eligibility rules," Martin said. "We found this out Thursday afternoon. When we did, he's no longer going to be a part of the team for the rest of the year."
Chambers, who enrolled in January, appeared on special teams in each of the team's first four games. He was eligible under NCAA guidelines, but not by Big Ten rules.
Martin said he could not confirm whether the problem is an academic ineligibility, citing federal privacy laws.
"We'll have to wait to see what the Big Ten says," Martin said. "I can't rule anything out at this point."
Members of the Big Ten apply academic standards - in terms of grade-point averages, entrance exam scores and transfer credits - that are slightly more stringent than those allowed by the NCAA.
Because it's a conference eligibility issue, Michigan is only facing disciplinary action based on the Penn State game.
Chambers, a safety from Fort Wayne, Ind., will not play again this season. He will continue practicing and maintain his scholarship.
"I'm not going to get into that, other than to say it's a real disappointment," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said in his post-game press conference. "That's all."
Martin said Michigan misapplied an older version of mid-semester freshman eligibility rules in Chambers' case.
"This isn't on Lloyd, it's on us," Martin said.

Team Grades: Week 4

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>With another wacky week in the books, who passed and flunked this week's test?

A+:

Boise State-On Thursday night, it looked like Taylor Tharp has finally found his stride. The Broncos had over 500 yards in this dominating performance.

Ball State-The Cards absolutely lit Buffalo up with a balanced offensive attack. Nate Davis was efficient but they got Frank Edmonds rolling. Buffalo couldn't do anything offensive in a rather surprising defensive effort from Ball State.

Kentucky-The Wildcats dominated the game, but Andre Woodson threw is first interception! It's panic time in Lexington.

Colorado-Wow. The offense came out of nowhere to upset the Oklahoma Sooners in a game that went right down to the wire. Not only did they win the game, but they did so by outgaining OU by 151 yards!

Kansas State-Sure they were the beneficiaries of four Colt McCoy interceptions, but the coverage was great, special teams were great, and the offense did what they had to. A great solid effort that has the Wildcats upsetting Texas for the second season in a row.

Arkansas-Yeah, it's North Texas, but can you name a better opponent to work out passing game woes against? The most important thing about this game is the efficiency of Casey Dick. Granted, he probably won't play like that against Alabama, Auburn, or LSU, but he did a fine job and this confidence will carry over into future games. The Razorbacks also managed 714 yards of total offense.

Middle Tennessee-The Blue Raiders have really struggled coming out of the gate so far with losses to Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Louisville, and LSU. This was the kind of win they need to jumpstart their season. Dwight Dasher was excellent the defense was stifling.

Texas Tech-Playing Northwestern State didn't really present much of a challenge to Texas Tech's offense. Michael Crabtree now has tied the freshman TD receptions record! He's only played 5 games in his career.

Washington-The Huskies couldn't get much going and they were only held to 190 yards of total offense. But sticking with the #1 team in the country like they did is worthy of an A+.

Auburn-The Tigers followed the upset formula. Limit the turnovers, avoid the big mistake, and execute. Auburn enjoyed a great game from the much-maligned Brandon Cox. It was a great win for the Tigers.

Arizona-Wow, Willie Tuitama was out of this world. Mike Stoops finally saw some life from his team Arizona racking up 567 yards. They still have some defensive issues, but a four touchdown win is a four touchdown win.

A:

UConn-The Huskies really got the ball rolling against a solid Akron football team. It was close for a while, but the punt return TD really made this thing into a blowout. The defense wasn't perfect, but it was pretty solid. Andre Dixon was the star of the show on the ground.

Georgia-These guys rolled over Ole Miss and they didn't even need Stafford to throw the ball that often. The Bulldogs were chugging along just fine on the ground as Thomas Brown ran for 180 yards and 3 TDs.

Arizona State-The Sun Devils held Stanford to -2 yards rushing in this dominant performance. The Cardinal have played solid offensively, but Arizona State kept them to a FG. These guys are for real.

Virginia-Even though Pitt has been playing very, very poorly, you've got give some credit to Virginia. They've really been coming on strong as of late and it looks like Al Groh will live to coach another day.

A-:

USF-Even though they took care of business against West Virginia, they had trouble putting the Mountaineers away and their offensive game wasn't very good. They were very sloppy with the ball and West Virginia was even sloppier. However, this is a signature win for the Bulls and a very good one at that.

CMU-Hey, the Chippewas! How 'bout that? Wow. Northern Illinois is terrible, but CMU really took control of this game. They got 6 turnovers out of the Huskies en route to a big big 35-10 win.

Illinois-They got outgained by Penn State, but it was a solid performance. Again, like USF, it wasn't the best they could've done, but they came up with the opportune play every time they needed one. It was a terrific win for the Illini.

Cal-A few of the Oregon turnovers were just silly mistakes and Cal was lucky enough to get out there with a victory. I did see the FG and that was an awful, awful call. Even so, they gave up almost 500 yards to Oregon and even though they do have a potent offense, Cal needs to fix that. But regardless, it was a great win on the road against a top 15 football team.

Maryland-Friedgen, we have a QB. Chris Turner appears to be the answer that Maryland has been looking for. They did a good job stopping Rice. He got 4.6 a pop but it wasn't good enough. The Terps dominated the 2nd half the football game.

UCLA-What was the deal with this? The Beavers took the lead into the 4th quarter and then, all of a sudden, this offensive explosion comes out of nowhere. They outscored Oregon State 28-0 in the 4th quarter!

B+:

Tulane-The defense for the Green Wave played very well. Only problem is, part of the problem was LSU and their miscues. The offense for the Tigers looked very bad in the 1st half. But they were in contention, give them a B+.

Navy-Again, more defensive issues for the Midshipmen. They did however execute very well and it was a bend-don't-break kinda thing. Good win over rival Air Force.

Army-The defense didn't play up to snuff against Temple, but they did manage to create 5 turnovers. The offense was surprisingly efficient.

Indiana-This was another case of just out-executing your opponent. They played pretty much to a draw on the stat sheet, but the Hoosiers got it done. This win was highlighted by yet another impressive performance from Kellen Lewis.

Georgia Tech-Clemson didn't appear to be "with it", but the Yellow Jackets earned a nice victory at home. They handled Clemson pretty easily.

Florida State-Against Bama's stingy defense, Xavier Lee came off the bench to play quite a game. You also have to credit FSU's defense because these guys can fly around and make some plays.

UCF-Clearly one of the better non-BCS teams out there, Central Florida continues to play very well. They limited the Ragin' Cajun rushing attack while Kevin Smith ran wild all over ULL's defense. It's just another 233 yard day with 3 TDs for Smith.

Cincinnati-The Bearcats took it to SDSU with a bunch of balance. Unfortunately, the only thing keeping Cincy from getting an A+ is the defense. The defense was average, but they let the Aztecs move the ball a little bit too much.

B:

Texas A&M-This blogger's upset prediction didn't happen, but A&M played a decent game against Baylor. Surprisingly enough, the same defense that struggled against Miami, Fresno State, and Montana State came through against a Baylor team that can throw the ball a little bit. You'd figure they would've gotten more than one touchdown, but the defensive performance was solid.

Miami OH-You have to give credit to the Redhawks for bouncing back and beating Syracuse one week after getting demolished 42-0 against Colorado. They moved the ball extremely well even with Mike Kokal tossing 3 INTs. It was a well-played game by both sides of the ball.

San Jose State-UC Davis didn't throw the ball nearly as well as I had predicted them to, but San Jose State has strung together two consecutive victories (althoughbeit against UC Davis and Utah State). Adam Tafralis had a nice game passing. The running game, for some reason, has really stunk lately.

Kent State-The Golden Flashes ground it out against Ohio very well with Eugene Jarvis having a great game. They had trouble sustaining a significant amount of drives having to rely on Nick Reed far too often. However, they withstood a comeback bid from Ohio and this win should go a long way in MAC East play.

Utah-The Utes had a close game until around the middle of the 2nd quarter where they took control. There really wasn't that much to note other than that.

Oregon-They played well for the most part, but they had way too many mistakes. The Dixon interception where he threw it right at the Cal defender and the fumble for a touchback in the endzone come to mind.

Wisconsin-What happened to defense? The Badgers let Brian Hoyer throw all over them and that's never a good sign. Hoyer has really struggled to get going and Wisconsin just let him roll. They did win and they did play well offensively themselves.

Michigan State-The Spartans had a well-executed game even though it came as a surprise that they moved the ball against Wisconsin so efficiently. The defense was a bit disappointing.

TCU-The Horned Frogs got Aaron Brown back and that was a huge lift to their spirits. Marcus Jackson came in for TCU and performed pretty well. The defense is back to usual forcing Hanie to throw 3 picks while holding CSU to 55 yards rushing.

Bowling Green-The Falcons turn in yet another solid football game as they manhandled Western Kentucky early on. The Hilltoppers turned the ball over five times and BGSU made what they could out of it. They were up at one point 41-7, but WKU did too much on the ground for Bowling Green to be too comfortable about this win.

BYU-The Cougs played a tough game against a game New Mexico football team. They took advantage of New Mexico's 5 turnovers and that was the difference in the game.

New Mexico-The five turnovers aside, it was a really close game and they battled. It's not like they gave the game to BYU. I liked what I saw from New Mexico but the coaching move to punt the ball at the end was questionable.

Western Michigan-Mark Bonds really got going and Tim Hiller threw like a madman against a leaky Toledo defense on their way to a big 42-28 victory.

Nebraska-The defense had another shaky performance, but Iowa State, by the looks of it, came to play. The Cyclones couldn't stop Sam Keller at all and it was a good win for the Cornhuskers.

B-:

Arkansas State-The comeback of the year so far, the Indians were down 31-6 at halftime before closing out the game on a 29-0 run. Memphis couldn't do anything offensively against the Indian defense and Corey Leonard was excellent.

I'm just going to finish this up tomorrow or tonight, just not a whole bunch of time right now.....
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SUNDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK IS NOT MAGIC DUST
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 03:44:06 PM EDT
</I>

It's worth noting that Syracuse followed its long awaited display of vital signs at Louisville by allowing 436 yards in a loss at Miami, Ohio, a fact I find comforting in a way I don't entirely understand and doubt any partisan of Oklahoma, Florida, West Virginia, Texas, Rutgers or especially Oregon could really understand today. A lot of blood was spilled Saturday, but none of it fatal. Life, after all, will go on. And remember, titans of the gridiron, and of corporately-driven polls thereof: you're not the first to feel the dull sting of dashed expectations, and you won't be the last...
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/91euxMQ0Zyg&rel=1 width=375 height=313 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED> I'm particularly interested in Oregon's defeat to Cal, which I couldn't see because I do not live on the West Coast, but which carries a cruel, morbid irony, the sort of creative yet unspeakable torture Edgar Allen Poe might imagine as a beat writer for the Oregonian, which is not publishing dark poetry these days but might reasonably be inspired by fumbling away the tying touchdown at the goal line with seconds to play:

jb_nation_poe_1_e.jpg

Oregon's newest fan. Loves the uniforms, actually.
- - -
  • The happiest day- the happiest hour
    My sear'd and blighted heart hath known,
    The highest hope of pride and power,
    I feel hath flown.

- - -
So, too, those same hopes among so many of the Ducks' colleagues at the top of the polls this last weekend of September, the changing weather and shifting shadows sending them southward in a great flock, unsure yet how they might find their way home against an unfamiliar landscape as those that remain dig in to fight for increasingly valuable territory. And so Syracuse follows its biggest win of the decade with a loss to the MAC, and the seasons turn.
Onwards...
SMQ WATCHED...
...with various degrees of vigilance...
AUBURN 20 FLORIDA 17
- - -
If these two teams played again next week in Auburn, I'd pick Florida in a second. Yet after wondering whether the Tigers would even score in the I was impressed by Auburn's gameplanning and offensive execution throughout the game in a How does a team with a physically and (recently, anyway) psychologically fragile quarterback keep up with the incredible quarterbacking hullk and his super friends from the multi-faceted offense of death?
Snapshot_2007_09_30_10_32_03.tiff

Get the ball first for starters, and get the ball last, and score on both occasions - Auburn wound up with two more significant possessions than Florida (eleven to nine) - and keep that ball forever. I'm not convinced that Auburn really stopped Tebow, who personally accounted for 276 total yards and led five drives (again, out of a mere nine) of 66, 51, 48, 38 and 89 yards for points or highly probably points, but by picking up 23 first downs, holding the ball for 33 minutes and limiting the Gators to a very 3-2-5e-like 55 offensive snaps, Auburn substantially raised the stakes of every stop it managed. To wit: Florida averaged 5.7 per snap Saturday, a full yard better per snap than it averaged against Ohio State in last year's mythical championship game. For 24 less points. Even with a two-score lead deep into the second half, Auburn didn't put much pressure on Tebow, didn't force a barrage of turnovers, didn't block a punt or bust a big return, didn't even have a dramatic play on offense (AU's longest gain of the night was 25 yards), but by protecting the ball, executing Al Borges' system without trying to take what wasn't there, moving steadily for long stretches - i.e. the entire first half - and actually getting points out of those drives, the Tigers kept the pressure on Florida's offense and mitigated the arsenal that sunk Tennessee on the same field two weeks ago.
The difference was the relative success of the Tigers' running game where Tennessee's so obviously failed: AU picked up ten first downs on the ground to the Vols' zero. Still, though, all hail Brandon Cox, whose touchdown-free performance might yet have salvaged his legacy as a three-year starter for the mere fact that he didn't give another game away. Early on, in fact, he was taking it by the throat with extreme efficiency on both of the Tigers' first half scoring drives before reverting to opportunistic conservatism in the face of a strong UF pass rush that sacked him four times. His record as a starter against ranked teams is now 6-2 in roughly two and a half years, one of the losses at LSU in 2005, when AU missed a tying field goal in overtime. Including that game, he's been on the winning end five times out of six against the top ten without throwing a touchdown in four of them.
• Auburn's smaller, quicker philosophy on defense pays off particularly against this sort of offense. Percy Harvin was quiet as a runner and Florida's horizontal ground game was generally kaput because the Tigers were fast enough to deny them the edge.
The Gundy Moment: I think Tommy Tuberville had every right to be livid after the Tigers were flagged for kick catch interference on a punt with about 4:30 to play, the score tied at 17 and Florida apparently about the start inside its own 20. The old "halo rule" no longer exists, and Brandon James did not signal for a fair catch. Auburn's gunners timed their hit perfectly, allowing James to make the catch - as lip readers will note that Tuberville repeated over and over in his tirade - before smacking him time down a split second later. It wasn't a heady decision to flip out at that point, though: the call was bogus, but the extra 15 yards that moved the Gators up around midfield could have made Tuberville the goat if not for his defense's susequent resiliency.
• Why was Auburn's defense in man-to-man on 3rd-and-goal from the six on the first play of fourth quarter? Florida easily ran off the cornerback and sent Cornelius Ingram on a short out into the vacated front corner of the end zone that AU had no chance to defend. That situation usually calls for the "picket fence," a line of defenders forming a wall against a short pass along the goal line and prepared to attack forward on a run. This is virtually the same play UF ran for a touchdown against Ohio State in January, and far too east on a predictable passing down.
• I don't have any way to judge his coverage skills (he wasn't been deep, as Auburn didn't hit anything deep), but Florida seems to have its next Reggie Nelson-like safety prospect in true freshman Major Wright, who delivered one exemplary form stick on a charging Mario Fannin in the second quarter and caused a critical fumble on a similar hit on Ben Tate in 3rd quarter. As a rule, I disdain the theatrics of collisions after big gains into the secondary, but both of Wright's tackles elicited a "Whoa," not only for their force - Fannin had a 20-yard running start and went reeling anyway - but their form as well. Big future, I presume.
KANSAS STATE 41 TEXAS 21
- - -
The thesis on Texas' mythical championship ambitions coming into the season was the McCoy Conjecture, simply stated: "Texas will sink or swim with Colt McCoy's health and effectiveness." On the latter point, there was near-universal optimism, but it was never as obvious as the conventional wisdom suggested that McCoy would assume the role of all-Big 12 world beater if no one else emerged to share the burden, as I imagined in June:
  • ...McCoy, out of necessity and opportunity (his receivers are a pretty first-rate group), has evolved into the role of primary playmaker, who is now expected to make hay of adverse situations. This can be a very good development, and almost certainly will be if Charles' slightly diminished star is in fact back on the rise. Or it could be too much to put on a competitor who reached his physical ceiling very quickly and needs a degree of balance. Nobody seems to have given a lot of thought to the latter case, if McCoy's unavoidable presence in every "darkhorse" Heisman projection is an indication, but UT would probably rather the supporting cast preemptively snuff out the pretext for such skepticism. This is fundamentally up to the offensive line.
    - - -
For the sake of honesty, if I had the misfortune to pursue such individual trivia, my pick for all-Big 12 quarterback would have ridden with the progression arc of Bobby "Finger-Lickin'" Reid, master of the maternal drumstick and the bench. So I'm not touting my scouting skills. I also picked Texas to play for the mythical championship, even with the exact blueprint for its slow start and now its demise splayed in vivid horror like the the Dragon and the Whore in front of John the Reveler.
And yea, one month in, all that was forecast by apocalyptic UT skeptics has come to pass: the inconsistency of the running game has made the `Horns a pass-first attack even against defenses they should reasonably pound into submission - UT has passed slightly more than it's thrown in three games out of five and over the season as a whole, when the average Longhorn offense this decade has run at least 60 percent of the time - shifting the impetus to McCoy and the pass blocking of his young offensive line, neither of which has held up. Colt now has nine interceptions on the year to eight touchdowns (he threw seven picks all of last season), forced almost exclusively by defensive linemen his face.
Courtesy the fine work of Brian at MGoBlog, this is Texas' third down conversion chart from 2006 (thick black middle line is the national average; green is production above that average, red is production below):
thirddown-efficiency.php

Most notably, UT was poor at converting anything beyond six yards. On Saturday:
<TABLE><CAPTION align=top>Texas 3rd Downs vs. KSU</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Attempts</TD><TD align=middle>15</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Avg. Yds to Go</TD><TD align=middle>6.9</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>Conversions</TD><TD align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>1-3 Yds.</TD><TD align=middle>1-2</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>4-6 yds.</TD><TD align=middle>1-5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>7-10 yds.</TD><TD align=middle>2-7 (2 INT)</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #eaeaea"><TD align=right>>10 yds.</TD><TD align=middle>1-1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
* - Does not include 3-and-10 attempt by John Chiles on final drive
- - - Texas drove 68 yards on its first possession to answer KSU's masterful opening touchdown drive, converting third down attempts of three and four yards, respectively, and getting stopped on third-and-goal from the KSU one (Vondrell McGee scored on fourth down). Texas' average yards-to-go on third down over the rest of the game was eight yards, the exact recipe for forcing a young, limited passer into mistakes while trying to do too much.

9cc17b6b_a932_4cf7_8f02_7b2ff54b800f.jpg

This is not working out the way it was supposed to.
- - -

It's tempting to draw a juxtaposition between McCoy and the Wildcats' sophomore slinger, Josh Freeman, especially as Freeman is an immobile, defensive end-sized, five-star manchild maturing from an interception-prone novice into a cool leader on the road - as mentioned, he hit all five of his passes on the Wildcats' tone-setting touchdown drive out of the gate, hit 11 of his first 13 and did not throw an interception - but despite his overpowering arm, Freeman is still just evolving into a within-the-game manager charged with making the right decisions on relatively easy throws; he averaged 4.7 per pass Saturday with a long completion of 15 yards. The Wildcats only generated 272 yards of total offense, 58 less than the team they beat by three touchdowns.

The greatest difference in this game, even considering McCoy's four interceptions, was really in the special teams, in ways obvious (backbreaking touchdown returns by James Johnson and Jordy Nelson) and quietly frustrating (a 13-yard punt by Trevor Garland that set the Wildcats up at the UT 48 in the third quarter, Tim Reyer's 46.4-yard punting average). Two touchdowns and an entire quarter of teeing off on a predictable, must-throw offense, directly as a result of the kicking game.
• Jordy Nelson: not very fast, it seems, but tough, fundamentally sound, football smart, even "wise" in the way he set up his blocks, according to Ron Franklin, who unleashed the perfect storm of "possession receiver" cliché on Nelson's punt return for touchdown in the third quarter. Maybe this is what Air Force really needed, rather than "Afro-Americans": wisdom. Fisher DeBerry might still have a job if his our young fighting men were just a little more, you know, wise.
• Give it up for the KSU O-line, led by Penisini Liu, Gerard Spexarth and the incomparable Alesana Alesana, who concentrated their unfortunately-named angst into a turnover-free march to victory. Who dares question Spexarth?!
SOUTH FLORIDA 21 WEST VIRGINIA 13
- - -
It was impossible to come away from this game unimpressed with South Florida's defense, which was disciplined, always in the right place and always, always, always made the tackle when presented with the opportunity. West Virginia thrives on creating indecision, isolating defenders, getting them overpursuing, off-balance and missing tackles in space, and USF had none of it. The Bulls kept contain, took proper pursuit angles and got the runner to the ground on the first opportunity on virtually every play. Tyrone McKenzie is a terriffic hitter; Ben Moffitt was everywhere a middle linebacker is supposed to be, which is everywhere: he snuffed out dives, shed blocks to stop good-looking scrambles and draws from breaking free into the secondary, hopped on fumbles and cradled two interceptions. West Virginia never threatened the secondary deep, and paid for it by staring into an umbrella it could probe to some extent but never penetrate.
That said, WVU seemed lackadaisical and determined to submarine sustained drives. The Mountaineers had to work for what they got, but they got quite a lot more than 13 points would suggest: WVU outgained the Bulls by 163 yards, had a nearly nine-minute possession advantage and mounted consecutive drives beginning in the second quarter of 57, 62, 62, 47, 21, 85 and 30 yards, all well into USF territory. Only one resulted in a touchdown; both 62-yard marches resulted in field goals and the others ended in a fumble, a pair of interceptions and a desperate turnover on downs. The six turnovers were obvious killers - though I think he played at least as well overall as Pat White had before leaving the game, Jarrett Brown's cross-the-body interception in the end zone as the Mountaineers were driving to tie in the third quarter was an absolutely inexcusable throw, one I was mocking well before it found its unintentional mark - but WVU committed unforced errors at every turn, snapping the ball over the quarterback's head, snapping it to a surprised fullback, mishandling simple handoffs. The Bulls' first offensive touchdown was something of a gift from multiple Mountaineer breakdowns, as Charles Pugh blew a chance to sack Matt Grothe by, in Chris Spielman's words, "dropping his head and going to his knees" as a teammate in the secondary inexplicably dropped off Carlton Mitchell, allowing Grothe escape with a completely unmolested receiver down the sideline.
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/2abhoKJ4mt8 width=375 height=310 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
South Florida's offense didn't do much else, aside from a nice, grinding drive to extend the lead to 21-3 in the second half, and turned it over four times, anyway. After that drive, the Bulls' last four full possessions netted 21 yards. With a chance to break the game open after yet another Bull interception in the second quarter, Grothe threw a hideous, off-balance pick in the red zone that West Virginia eventually took the other way for its first points.
Again, though, the Mountaineers seemed undisciplined and virtually incapable of finishing a drive with the big play taken away. White's absence in the second half may have had something to do with this, but the offense actually moved much more effectively with Brown. Speaking of which: where was Steve Slaton in the second half? He had two carries with the backup quarterback in the game. One star was missing out of necessity - why take the other out by choice?
COLORADO 27 OKLAHOMA 24
- - -
Sunday Morning Quarterback welcomes guest columnist Dave Lapham for his rundown of the Buffs' historic upset. Take it away, Dave:
  • 8.jpg
    It's hard for me to express as a former football player on many successful football teams how proud I am of the football players who went out on that football field for the University of Colorado football team and played the football game of their lives to beat a truly outstanding football team of football players from Oklahoma. I'm paid to broadcast football games, so I can't always comment on the football teams I'm covering, but I have to say, I never thought a football team like Colorado, a football team that only won two football games last football season, could hang on in a football game against a football team obviously made up of more talented football players. And not only to play football toe-to-toe on the football field with such a great football team, but to come from behind in a football game those football players could have easily given up on? That's one of the great football accomplishments I've ever witnessed on any football field in my entire life in football. Dan Hawkins is a special football coach who took his football team on the football field and said, `We're going to win this football game' and his football players flew to the football, stopped Oklahoma from moving the football in the second half of the football game and somehow found a way to win a football game I don't think anyone in football thought this football team could win. What a football game.
    - - -
Thanks, Dave.
• It couldn't have done it without a couple key OU turnovers, namely Reggie Smith's devastating muffed punt to set up the tying touchdown, but Colorado deserved to win this game, and did it in much the same clock-killing fashion that Auburn used to beat Florida. The Buffs held the ball for an icredible 38:54, limiting the Sooners to 230 yards on just 46 plays and rendering wunderkind Sam Bradford utterly ineffective - Oklahoma's second half possessions covered 17, 18, 6, 9, 0 and 3 yards. Like Auburn in the Swamp, Colorado's longest play of the game was just 25 yards, on a Hugh Charles run, but the diminutive Charles ground his way to 110 yards on 24 carries, instrumental in preventing three-and-outs (in 15 possessions, only three ended without at least one Buffalo first down). But then, it's not like you can almost double up a heavy favorite on time of possession with magic dust:
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/d_N9R-jDW5A width=275 height=210 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED><EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/1tyUdNc7tRM width=275 height=210 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
"Boise State voodoo," perhaps, but not magic dust, brother!
• I'm not watching a lot of highlights this year that I don't see during actual games (and not missing them), so I don't know if it's getting any play on the recaps or not, but a huge call went against Oklahoma shortly after the Reggie Smith fumble/Hawkins touchdown pass tied the game. On second-and-seven from the Oklahoma 36 on the Sooners' next possession, about three minutes to play, Juaquin Ilesias went down to make a first down catch off the ground that was ruled a completion on the field. The CU crowd booed, but on replay, there was nothing suggest the call should be overturned; by all appearances, Iglesias got his hands under the ball and kept it off the ground, and if he didn't, none of the television angles offered anything like conclusive proof of it. I agreed with the FSN announcers: the catch has to stand, first down Oklahoma. The call? Indisputable evidence shows the catch is reversed, OU misses a pass on third-and-seven, and Colorado gets the ball back to win. The play is replayed from a couple angles around the eight-minute mark of this highlight clip, objectively edited by an OU fan to some oddly appropriate music for ennui:

041213_willingham_hmed.hmedium.jpg

Notre Dame? Why, never heard of 'em...
- - -
Glimpses
- - -
• Notre Dame was down in a hurry and never had a chance to win at Purdue, so maybe it doesn't mean so much that the Irish showed more life with Evan Sharpley in the lineup in the second half than it's showed in four and a half previous games combined. ND actually ran up 377 yards passing, most of it after Sharpley replaced the reasonably efficient but not at all fearsome Jimmy Clausen and began lobbing up balls to Golden Tate and Robby Parris and these unknown people who had not had so many yards in any three of the first four games put together. Briefly, there was some excitement when ND cut the score to 19-26: this "throwing and catching" was actually working, unbelievably, and Charlie Weis was reportedly screaming at his offense that it was going to go for two if it had the chance - simultaneously a stab at aggressive day-seizing (the Irish also attempted six fourth down conversions, getting four) and at avoiding another PAT disaster after two misses and a third that earned a second life via an offsides call. Purdue shut that door by flying down the field for an icing touchdown, but the progress was clear: the Irish moved past Florida International as the least-productive offense in the country. Next week: eat our dust, Utah State.

• Speaking of which, the line of the day came via Tyrone Willingham, in a taped interview during Washington's closer-than-necessary loss to USC. Asked about his old job, Willingham was pretty clear: "It's Coach Weis' team." Not everyone completely agrees.
• I saw the second play below live and didn't actually catch the slip, so it's not a big deal and maybe I'm not one to cast stones. But Awful Announcing caught a couple vintage Pam Ward screw-ups from the LSU-Tulane game, and since I'm not paid thousands of dollars to inform thousands of viewers about the action on the field in front of my face, and since Ward has so, so many broadcasting sins to confess, enjoy a pair of Wardian snafus, special teams edition:
<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/Mk007fHsNAc width=275 height=220 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED><EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/v/45t-_1LMPG0 width=275 height=220 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>
He fields a what, now?
Upwards...
Conceit...
SMQ was right about: Including the Thursday and Friday night diversions, I picked eleven games this week, and missed on nine of them. The few, the proud: Illinois, which dutifully knocked off favored Penn State at home, and Wisconsin, which took Michigan's State best shot (offensively, anyway) and survived to stand alongside Ohio State - and Illinois? Michigan? - as Big Ten frontrunner. Cal scored 31 points, as predicted.
...and Contrition...
SMQ was wrong about: Cal won with 31 points, as not predicted. Outside of the Big Ten, it was an epic bloodbath for my forecasting skills, and could have only been worse if I'd picked more games. Florida State beat Alabama, Auburn upset Florida, Kansas State found a way to defy logic after I claimed "there is no reason to expect a return" of the team that upset Texas last year. Clemson and West Virginia bit the dust on the road as well, despite their incredible backfield wealth. Without question, the worst day of predictin' in SMQ's three-year run. The Crunch
Interesting/Not Necessarily Relevant Stats
- - -
Visiting North Carolinaoutgained Virginia Tech by 65 yards and seven first downs in a seven-point loss ... Temple passed for 359 yards, one of the Owls' highest totals in years, but turned the ball over five times in a loss to Army ... Northern Illinois scored on a 92-yard pass and outgained Central Michigan by 140 yards in a 25-point loss (thank you, six turnovers). The game featured six touchdowns in the first half and zero in the second ... A week after walloping Texas A&M, Miami only led visiting Duke by three until the final two minutes of the game ... Michigan State's starting tailback averaged 14.5 yards per carry, while the MSU offense outgained Wisconsin by more than 100 yards and won the turnover battle, yet the Spartans lost in Madison by three ... Maryland held Rutgers to 82 yards rushing and had a 14-minute advantage in time of possession in an upset win ... Clemson scored on its first possession and was shut out over the remaining 59 minutes ... UTEP and SMU combined for 1,074 yards and 61 first downs ... Colt Brennan and Idaho's Nick Enderle combined to throw ten interceptions in Hawaii's 28-point win ... Oregon State converted 1 of 14 third downs and turned the ball over five teams, bringing the Beavers' total to 21 giveaways in five game ... Arkansas ran for 446 yards on 8.1 per carry against North Texas, and Felix Jones averaged 18.9 on seven runs ... Tulsa rang up 695 yards and 32 first downs in an eight-point win over UAB ... Vanderbilt and Eastern Michigan combined for nine interceptions ... Blake Joseph completed 24 of 29 passes and Houston outgained East Carolina by 155 yards in a loss to the Pirates ... and Texas Tech scored more touchdowns (ten) than Northwestern State had first downs.

Broken foot sidelines Davis indefinitely; Groves expected to miss two games

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/about.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] September 30, 2007 1:28 PM

Junior Tristan Davis' run of bad luck continued in Auburn's 20-17 victory over Florida on Saturday night.
Davis, a junior tailback/kick returner who missed the first four games after suffering a broken toe during preseason camp, broke a bone in his right foot returning Florida's second kickoff and is out indefinitely. The injury was unrelated to the previous injury.
Senior defensive end Quentin Groves suffered three dislocated toes on his right foot on the final play of the third quarter and is not expected back until the Tigers' go to LSU on Oct. 20.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Who's Hot & Who's Not - Sept. 30 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
480348.jpg

Kansas State WR Jordy Nelson
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 30, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The hot and not aspects of the college football world this week.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE]Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4

Who’s Hot …
Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree (again)
He's been here before, and it likely won't be the last time this season. Crabtree made his 14th touchdown catch this year in the third quarter of the blowout win over Northwestern State, setting the Texas Tech single-season record for scoring grabs after just five games. He has also tied former Florida WR Jabar Gaffney, former USC WR Mike Williams, and current Hawaii target Davone Bess for the most touchdown catches by a freshman. How's this for a start to the year? 60 catches for 920 yards and 14 touchdowns, with three scoring grabs in four of the five games. While the schedule gets far, far tougher, his numbers projected over a 12-game season work out to 144 catches for 2,208 yards and 33 touchdowns.

Indiana WR James Hardy vs. IowaYou'll have to forgive Iowa if it lobbies for Hardy to turn pro early. All the IU receiver has done is catch 24 passes for 420 yards and five touchdowns in three career games against the Hawkeyes,. He made four catches for 113 yards and a score in this week's 38-20 win.

Florida Atlantic CB Tavious Polo
Not only does the redshirt freshman lead the nation in interceptions, it's not even close. A rail thin 5-10 and 146 pounds, he makes plays with speed, speed, and next level speed, with seven interceptions in the first five games, and six in the last three weeks. He was the one who broke Kentucky QB Andre Woodson's streak of 325 straight passes without an interception.

Kansas State WR Jordy NelsonThe senior has been unstoppable over the last two weeks, following up a 15 catch, 209-yard, one touchdown effort in the win over Missouri State with a 12 grab, 116-yard, one score day against Texas. He also added a 34-yard touchdown run against MSU, had a 21-yard touchdown run against Auburn, and has returned three punts for 171 yards, a 57-yard average, with a touchdown over the last two weeks.

The ACC
Who's the bad boy conference now? Fine, so no one's confusing the ACC with the SEC quite yet, but the league had a huge weekend when it comes to gaining national respect, with Maryland beating Rutgers, Florida State beating Alabama, and Virginia thumping Pitt. NC State lost to Louisville, but helping the overall out of conference record, Boston College beat UMass.
Who’s Not …[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif]
The Big East[/FONT]South Florida might be everyone's darling, but no one seems to hot on getting it involved in the national title talk (which is a big mistake). West Virginia was considered the top national title contender from the league, but that's gone now after the loss to the Bulls. Syracuse inexplicably lost to Miami University, making Louisville's loss to the Orange look that much worse. While Cincinnati and Connecticut rolled against San Diego State and Akron, respectively, Pitt got blasted by Virginia and Rutgers lost at home to Maryland.
Oregon State
The Beavers have one of the nation's top run defenses, an elite back in Yvenson Bernard, and a killer defensive front that's been a constant in opposing backfields. However, the quarterback play has been shaky, and there hasn't been a turnover the offense hasn't liked to give up. The Beavers have lost to Cincinnati, Arizona State, and UCLA by combined score of 118 to 49.

Star dual threat quarterbacks
This wasn't a great week for star, spread offense, dual threat quarterbacks, with West Virginia's Pat White getting knocked out with a thigh injury in the loss to South Florida, Florida's Tim Tebow losing to Auburn, Washington's Jake Locker struggling in a loss to USC, and Oregon's Dennis Dixon losing to California. UL Lafayette's Michael Desormeaux is the nation's leading rushing quarterback, but he and his Ragin' Cajuns lost to UCF.

The Big 12 SouthWasn't this supposed to be the Big 12's dominant division? Oklahoma State took center stage a few weeks ago with humiliating loss at Troy, and then Mike Gundy put the spotlight on his program with his epic rant. Texas Tech lost to that Cowboy team two weeks ago, Texas A&M's national reputation is still trying to rebound after the nationally televised loss to Miami, and then this week, Oklahoma lost to Colorado and Texas lost to Kansas State.

Penn State QB Anthony Morelli
It might not seem fair, but the Nittany Lion senior will likely have to shoulder much of the criticism for the 0-2 Big Ten start. Blame the coaches for not opening it up more in the loss to Michigan, with Morelli completing 15 of 31 passes for 169 yards, and then in the loss to Illinois, he completed 21 of 38 passes for 298 yards and a touchdown with three interceptions.

Urban Meyer: 'It Sucks'

Posted Sep 30th 2007 10:20PM by Andy Katzer
Filed under: Auburn Football, Florida Football, SEC
urban-meyer-it-sucks-ak-180.jpg
Well, at least he's honest. Asked for his reaction to suffering the first home loss in his two-plus year tenure, Florida's Urban Meyer put it succinctly:
Yeah... I'm sick to my stomach. Not sick to my stomach of the effort, but just sick to my stomach when you lose. It... It sucks.​
Welcome to Earth, coach. "It sucks" is what most of the rest of us have been saying during your school's two-year, multi-sport reign of terror. Though it's not like this loss signals the end of anything: the Gators of course lost to Auburn last year, and it ended up just fine for them. That's why this headline from the Tampa Tribune's website: "The Secret Is Out: Gators Are Exposed" seems a little over the top to me. That article's explanation of the game:
Nothing worked as planned. The team that was averaging 49 points and 500 yards of offense per game was held to 17 points and defeated by a last-second field goal. Tim Tebow wasn't Superman. The offense wasn't in shape. Running backs couldn't run.​
So Tebow is human after all... or is he? He still racked up 276 yards of offense Saturday night. But what he couldn't do, and what his defense couldn't do, was get the Tiger offense off the field. Sunday Morning Quarterback points out that Auburn gained 23 first downs and held the ball for 33 minutes, allowing only 55 offensive snaps for the Gators. Florida still averaged 5.7 yards per play, a yard better than their performance in last year's championship game rout of Ohio State... but scored 24 fewer points.

Exposed? Not really, Florida can still move the ball. But one method of beating them has been proven. So I suppose Meyer's still right: if you're a Gator, that must suck.

Parity Saturday

I'm back after my own little September bye week. I spent the week recuperating, drinking, celebrating birthdays, saving the world, and watching the hour-long premiere of The Office. However, I did watch something called football on Saturday, and as you might have heard, some shit went down. A lot of shit, actually. So much shit, Nick Saban found time for it.

The weekend of upsets was shocking, intense, and a sign of the future. A future where cars can fly, and a future where Bob Barker is still somehow alive. It is also a future where "parity" in college football will be commonplace. I hate that word parity, though. There will still be programs like Oklahoma, USC, Florida, Ohio State that win 10-11 games a year, win conference titles, and fight for national titles. But, that murky area of teams rated 5-40 is going to be a mess. A beautiful mess if you like good football, but an ugly mess if you like order.

The talent gap between the have's and the have-not's is shrinking, and it's shrinking quickly - at the rate your peep does in cold water. The biggest reason is the limitation on scholarship players allowed for each program. But that's been in place for a long time. I think the biggest reasons are academics and hurt feelings. I guess off the field issues, too. You have a player like Willie Williams at Miami. He has more arrests than Suge Knight, but a building program like Louisville will take a chance on him. Then you have a player like Slick Shelley. He signed with Tennessee as a 4* WR in 2005, and never climbed into the WR rotation. He's now at Tulsa, and will be on the field next year. More players are transferring than ever before, and they're going to mid-major schools with inventive, unique head coaches.

It's not just the mid-majors, either. Bottom rung BCS conference schools are getting better, save Iowa State. Mississippi State beat Auburn pretty good, and Auburn turned around and beat Florida, who had looked very impressive just 2 weeks earlier. Colorado, a 2-10 last year (although not 2-10 worthy statistically) beat 4-0 Oklahoma, who everyone had recognized in the top 4 ultrateams that the SuperDevil had created. Kansas State scored by land, air, and special teams to kill Texas by 20. A Kansas State team that allowed 23 points to a pathetic Auburn offense held Texas to 21. And Illinois got a signature win for Ron Zook by upsetting Penn State.

The madness is everywhere, and it isn't going to stop. After Appalachian State beat Michigan, I looked at my friend and said, "It's starting, in 10 years, this will be like college basketball." And it will be, at least as much as it can be. We won't see a 65-team playoff, or any playoff, for that matter. But we will see mid-majors beat BCS conference teams more often. And not just Toledo-over-Iowa State wins. More like Troy-over-Oklahoma State wins. There are so many great athletes in this country right now, and they want to play football. You can find plenty of 4.45 kids who the huge schools overlook because they don't run a 4.42. You find those kids, put them in your system to get them the ball as early in their career as possible, and you flourish.

The change is happening, and I for one am excited to see it.

Classes canceled Monday after shooting on campus

Posted: Monday October 1, 2007 10:44AM; Updated: Monday October 1, 2007 11:17AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- A University of Memphis football player was fatally shot on campus in what was believed to be a targeted attack, and classes were canceled Monday as a precaution, officials said.
Taylor Bradford, 21, was shot near a university housing complex about 9:45 p.m. Sunday and then got into a car, driving a short distance before it crashed into a tree, officials said.
University officials said the believed the gunman left campus immediately after the shooting. No arrests had been made Monday.
"We found him with a bullet wound to the body and the ambulance took him to the hospital where he was pronounced (dead)," said Roger Prewitt, a Memphis Police inspector.
Bradford, a 5-foot-11, 300-pound defensive lineman from Nashville, was a junior who transferred to Memphis after two seasons at Samford University in Birmingham, Ala.
"Our entire football team is deeply saddened by the loss of Taylor," head coach Tommy West said in a statement. "He was well respected and a popular member of our team. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family."
University officials closed residence halls on campus temporarily before police learned that the shooting was likely personal, spokesman Curt Gunther said.
In an e-mail alert sent to faculty, staff and students at 3:40 a.m. Monday, officials wrote that "the initial investigation indicates this was an act directed specifically toward the victim and was not a random act of violence."
The university decided to cancel classes Monday, although police believe the person or persons involved in the shooting left the campus immediately.
"We feel like the campus is safe, but we'd rather err on the side of safety than not," Gunther said.
The school's administrative and athletic officials were meeting Monday morning to discuss the shooting.
The Memphis Tigers host Marshall University's Thundering Herd Tuesday night. A moment of silence was planned before the game.
Bradford transfered to the school in 2006 and was on the roster this season, but had not made any plays to be listed in the team's statistics.
Bradford lettered in three sports at Nashville's Antioch High School, and held school records in shot put and discus.
The university had 20,562 students enrolled for last fall, according to its Web site.
The school was founded in 1912 as West Tennessee State Normal School and was renamed Memphis State College in 1941. It became Memphis State University in 1957, two years before it admitted its first black students. It was renamed the University of Memphis in 1994.

New Expectations
By Mike Section: Football
Posted on Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 08:44:56 AM EDT
</I>

I was duped. I was told this team was going to be good. I have the premium subscriptions to all the recruiting sites. I see all the practice reports. I hear what all of the "insiders" and "observers" have to say. I read all of the glowing reports coming out of the spring and preseason and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Now I'm not saying they publish false information. I believe they published what their sources told them word for word, but those sources are distributing a particularly sweet flavor of blue and white Kool Aid. I drank it down and it tasted pretty nice, but little did I know it was laced with arsenic.
I was told #14 had turned the corner after the Outback Bowl. I was told he was beeming with confidence and taking charge in the huddle. But in the last two weeks I saw a kid struggling to come to grips with himself. I was told he could make any throw on the football field, but in four interceptions this year he has grossly underthrown the football. And he never really seems to hit anyone in stride when they're crossing over the middle. I was fooled.
<TABLE width="20%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>
morelli3.jpg
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I was told Austin Scott was going to have a Larry Johnson-type breakout senior year. Practice reports said he was hitting the holes and knocking the defense off the ball. This I was skeptical of, but it didn't stop me from expecting it. We soon learned the year off did nothing for his game. He still dances in the hole. He can't catch a pass. Heck, he can't even hold on to the football when he has it.
<TABLE width="20%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>
scott.jpg
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I was told Chris Bell was playing like a first round draft pick. Where has he been? He caught a long pass against Notre Dame and another one against Illinois. But then he also ran the incorrect route twice on Saturday and wasn't within 20 yards of the ball meant for him.
I was told Brett Brackett was developing into an unstoppable weapon in the redzone. Remember that one? I can't believe I thought a kid that played quarterback last year was suddenly going to score 20 touchdowns.
Now we're faced with the decision: Do we bench #14 or stick with the horse that got us here? Afterall, practice reports on Daryll Clark and Pat Devlin have been decent. But how can we trust those now? I've learned a valuable lesson this year. Unlike the stock market, in football past results are an indication of future performance. And based on the past performance of our quarterback, running back, and offensive line I am not optimistic about the rest of our season. When we started the year I dreamed of National Championships and Big Ten titles. Now that has changed. The only game I expect to win from here on out is Temple. Everything else is up for grabs. My goals for this team now are to just win six games, go to the Music City Bowl and let's start planning for 2008.

Won't Someone Please Notice Michael Crabtree?

Posted Oct 1st 2007 7:00AM by Jeff Adams
Filed under: Big 12, Texas Tech Football
notice-michael-crabtree.jpg
Normally when we see a player putting up huge numbers down in Lubbock, the lack of respect is normally attributed to the player being a system quarterback. There's no excuse, however, for people not noticing and admiring the amazing season that Michael Crabtree is putting together for the Red Raiders.

Through five games Crabtree, a redshirt freshman, has 60 receptions for 920 yards and 14 touchdowns. Yes, 14(!) touchdowns. His 14th TD on Saturday broke the school single season record for touchdown receptions and the season isn't even half over. He's also tied the national record for TD receptions for a freshman .... in five games.

As it stands right now, Crabtree is on pace for 144 catches, 2208 yards and 34 touchdowns. Those numbers would shatter the NCAA season records held by Houston's Manny Hazard (142 catches in 1989), Nevada's Trevor Insley (2,060 yards in 1999) and Louisiana Tech's Troy Edwards (27 TDs in 1998).

All of this and Crabtree somehow manages to fly under the radar nationally. What does he have to do get a little respect and perhaps even some Heisman hype? If this guy played in L.A. or even Austin for that matter the media machine would be working in overdrive. Instead, he's just another pirate in Mike Leach's record shattering system.

Oh well, at least some of us were on the Michael Crabtree bandwagon long ago.

Mississippi State's Riddle out for year

Posted: Monday October 1, 2007 2:04AM; Updated: Monday October 1, 2007 2:04AM

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- Mississippi State quarterback Josh Riddell tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during Saturday's loss to South Carolina and is out for the rest of the season.
Bulldogs athletic department spokesman Mike Nemeth said Sunday that Riddell will have surgery, probably next week. Riddell was 9-of-21 for 101 yards and an interception before leaving the game. South Carolina won 38-21.
The injury puts the Bulldogs (3-2, 1-2 Southeastern Conference) down two quarterbacks. Starter Michael Henig broke his hand during Mississippi State's 24-16 win over Auburn on Sept. 15.
Riddell had been splitting playing time with Wesley Carroll, a freshman, who is expected to take over behind center at least until Henig returns in several weeks. His backup will likely be another freshman, Chris Relf.
Unfortunately for coach Sylvester Croom, this is familiar territory.
Last year about this time, Henig was out with a broken collarbone, backup Omarr Conner was out with a severe right groin strain and Tray Rutland was out with a torn ACL and MCL in his left knee.
The Bulldogs play UAB at home Saturday.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - Benefiting From The Fallout? </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
480773.jpg

Ohio State WR Ray Small
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 1, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

Putting this epic weekend into historical perspective, who benefits the most? Ray Small and Ohio State are certainly helped. Is Mack Brown on the hot seat? Which team went unnoticed among all the upsets? These and more in the latest 5 Thoughts.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3
A Little Revolution Now And Then Is Good Thing[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]1. Everybody likes the underdog. Everyone roots for David. Everyone wants to see Cinderella get the prince.

Not me.

As a pure fan of college football, and one who watches more college football than any human being alive, I have no tolerance for lousy matchups and bad games. That's why I live for the big weekends. I love the hype, I love the rivalry games, I love the monster showdowns like Oklahoma vs. Texas and Florida vs. LSU. That's why I selfishly wanted to see all the big boys survive on Saturday, so I could have my epic October 6th.

And then something funny happened halfway through the weekend; I realized that this was the epic weekend I was looking forward to.

Just how incredible were the 24 hours from when South Florida knocked off West Virginia, to the Colorado win over Oklahoma, to the Kansas State win over Texas, to the Auburn win over Florida, to the Maryland win over Rutgers, to the fantastically entertaining battles between Cal and Oregon, Wisconsin and Michigan State, Alabama and Florida State, and yeah, USC at Washington?

So now the question becomes, how does this week impact the entire landscape of the season? For historical perspective, you have to go back to October 5, 2003, when No. 3 (according to the AP Poll, back when it mattered) Ohio State lost to Wisconsin, No. 5 Florida State lost to Miami (who was No. 2), No. 6 LSU lost to Florida, No. 7 Arkansas lost to Auburn, No. 10 Nebraska lost to Missouri, No. 11 Texas lost to No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 13 Tennessee lost to No. 8 Georgia, No. 15 Pittsburgh lost to Notre Dame, No. 17 Minnesota lost to Michigan, No. 22 Kansas State lost to Oklahoma State, and No. 25 Virginia lost to Clemson.

The key to that weekend was how it opened the door for several teams that weren't even in the discussion. As the season went on, No. 1 Oklahoma rolled, until getting blasted by Kansas State in the Big 12 title game, USC, ranked ninth on October 5th thanks to a loss to Cal, started moving its way up, and eventual national champions LSU, ranked sixth, was able to overcome a loss the following week to start moving up to the number two spot.

On a knee-jerk reaction to this weekend and who benefits, its seems like this was a huge, huge weekend for the Big Ten. Now, Ohio State is in striking distance of the national title discussion. Wisconsin can be in that spot if it keeps winning, and beats the Buckeyes in Columbus on November 3rd, and Purdue can make a lot of noise if it can beat Ohio State this weekend. Now, Boston College, Kentucky, South Florida and Missouri are major players, and teams that got tagged early on, like Nebraska, UCLA, and Virginia Tech, should be able to start creeping up.

Of course, if USC and LSU keep doing their thing, everyone else is just playing for third. But if this weekend was any indication, we're not quite done yet.

What Is Brown Doing For You?
By Richard Cirminiello
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT]. So just how much goodwill does a national championship buy a head coach anyway? Texas’ Mack Brown is about to find out. A lightning rod for criticism before capping a perfect 2005 with an epic win over USC, his ‘Horns have shown some wear-and-tear of late, losing three of their last eight, including Saturday’s 41-21 debacle to Kansas State. Can the questions about Brown competency be far behind? Hey, it may sound unreasonable for a coach that’s been wildly successful, but expectations have never been particularly reasonable in Austin. Brown’s detractors will no doubt find it ironic that former Longhorn icon Vince Young was in attendance for Saturday’s loss, the worst in the coach’s tenure at the school. You see, they believe that without VY, the Rose Bowl win that capped the 2004 season and the national championship the following year would never have happened. To them, they were Young’s accomplishments, not Brown’s. Fair? Of course not. Real? You bet. And now, here’s comes Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, that one-time haunted house whose demons were exorcised by ...... yup, Vince Young. Texas has won two straight in the series, but this is a fragile program that hasn’t looked good this fall against anyone not named Rice. A loss to Oklahoma on Saturday is going to resurface some of those sick feelings that permeated through the Longhorn Nation during the five-year losing steak to the Sooners. And along with those feelings will come the cries questioning Brown’s ability to win big without Vince Young. Bank on it. Indiana, We're All For You, Who?[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]

During one of the most surprising weekends in the history of college football, it was easy to overlook a story that many people have missed – the Indiana Hoosiers. The Hoosiers finished last season with three straight losses, but had shown that they weren’t that “far away” under head coach Terry Hoeppner. They had knocked off Iowa and Michigan State behind the playmaking and leadership of quarterback Kellen Lewis. Coming into 2007, some thought this might be a team on the uptick and with a gregarious leader like Hoeppner, a bowl game wasn’t such a far fetched idea. But, during the summer, the beloved Hoeppner succumbed to a brain tumor on June 19, 2007, leaving new head coach Bill Lynch the task of not only taking the program to a new level but helping young men deal with loss – a loss bigger than any the Hoosiers experienced last season on the field. Lynch, his staff and players deserve a rousing ovation after beating Iowa, on the road this time, for the second straight season and taking the record to 4-1 on the year. Hoeppner never got a chance to complete his goal of rebuilding this team, but Lynch and company are taking care of business as Coach Hoeppner would’ve loved.
Ask Michigan About Rematch Possibilities

By Michael Bradley

4. If I hear one more person tell me that USC-Cal is an “elimination game” in the race for the BCS title game, I’m going to hurt someone. The rationalization that a late-season game between two teams which could well be worthy of inclusion in a playoff is actually a post-season game is like saying a November meeting between the Colts and Patriots should take the place of the AFC title game. This system is as ridiculous a way of choosing a champion as there is, and its defenders are merely playing into the hands of those who are trying to maximize the dollars available to the BCS conferences through the antiquated bowl system – which was created to attract tourists to warm-weather locations during the holidays, not choose a champion – rather than concoct a tournament that might require spreading the dough around. Whichever team loses that USC-Cal game will be likely eliminated from title consideration, no matter how good it is, and that’s a sin. It’s also the way it goes in the asinine world of I-A football. Accept it, but don’t try to defend it, because you sound like a toady for the establishment.

It's Still A Kid's Game
By Matthew Zemek

The importance of this past Saturday goes beyond the enormous entertainment value given to college football fans. It easily transcends the national title picture, now thrown into a state of pronounced upheaval.

What is the truest and deepest meaning of this past Saturday of upsets?

It offers all of us cause to gain some much-needed perspective about college football and, for that matter, big-time college sports.

For all the attention some people give to recruiting (I've made it a point to ignore the shady meat-market aspect of college sports as long as I've sat in a columnist's chair), and for all the scrutiny given to coaches on a weekly basis, this cutthroat business is ultimately shaped by kids who are subjected to an intense spotlight and gameday pressures on a weekly basis. One bad day at the office, one game in which an inferior opponent is overlooked, can derail a whole season's worth of aspirations. One mistake made in the twinkle of an eye can shatter dreams of glory. All the massive expenditures made on behalf of a state school's football program can go right out the window in a heartbeat.

One muffed Oklahoma punt.

One nightmarish game from Colt McCoy.

One huge catch by Maryland receiver LaQuan Williams against Rutgers.

One nonexistent half from a sleepwalking Florida team.

One careless fumble by Oregon receiver Cameron Colvin at the goal line against Cal.

One needless pick-six thrown by West Virginia's Pat White against South Florida.

These and other temporary lapses of concentration (or, once in a while, huge plays made by players on geeked-up underdogs) will influence whole seasons in substantial ways.

When you realize the fine line between victory and defeat; between a BCS bowl and the GMAC Bowl; between a conference crown and a fourth-place finish, it should dawn on us that college sports aren't worth the amount of money spent on them.

We could have had the same spills, chills and thrills we had today without hundreds of millions of additional dollars spent on athletic facilities.

Donors and philanthropists, send money to the homeless and the uninsured, not to the next gleaming football facility. All the buildings in the world won't change a simple fact: kids will be kids, and seasons will be affected as a result.

Three questions for Longhorns this week

No. 1: Will Colt McCoy play against Oklahoma?

<SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/js/NewsworthyAudioC2L.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/newsworthy/statesman/sports/stories/longhorns/10/01/statesman_sports_stories_longhorns_10_01_1001texquestions.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>Monday, October 01, 2007
THREE QUESTIONS
Will Colt McCoy play against Oklahoma?
McCoy was injured in the second quarter against Kansas State when his head slammed against the field. He headed to the locker room with under a minute to play before coming out in the second half. McCoy was removed from the game with 5 minutes left after displaying symptoms of a concussion. Usually the minimum recovery time for a concussion is a week.

Will Texas fix its special teams?
When asked if the Longhorns had special teams problems earlier this season, Mack Brown said, "No." Well, they do now. Not only did the Longhorns give up two special teams touchdowns, but the Sooners rank fifth in the nation in kickoff returns, averaging 28.5 yards per return with a touchdown.

Can the Longhorns play consistently?
UT's biggest problem this year has been consistency. The Horns will look great in one quarter — usually the first — and terrible the next quarter.

Coach Fran staying put

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135";google_alternate_color = "ffffff";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";//2007-06-19: entriesgoogle_ad_channel = "0603066557";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "003399";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "999999";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1191266533937&lmt=1191266533&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1191266533937&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Ftexas_am%2F007185.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=834816700.1182524384&ga_sid=1191266534&ga_hid=327744845&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=994&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
Despite what you may hear on a certain AM talk radio station in Oklahoma, Texas A&M Head Coach Dennis Franchione will not be resigning as the Aggies coach today at 4pm.
We spoke with a university representative after hearing about the rumor and -- as best everyone knows -- this is just a red herring.
Some of you will remember that Fanblogs was one of the very few sources that correctly broke each detail of Coach Fran's move to Texas A&M, and I feel comfortable in saying that this is just a rumor.
As Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne said, Coach Fran is the Texas A&M coach and will be through the end of the season - maybe longer.

Back