Week 5 What Are We Learning

Brett Bielema has 68 wins at Wisconsin
Paul Chryst has 67 wins at Wisconsin

Bert wasn't letting Chryst tie him today

I was simply amazed at how bad Oklahoma was on defense

Kansas State played today a lot likey they played every other game except for OU, not making the most of their opportunities. It almost cost them, but they cover in the end. Strange play, there was a pass late 4th Q that could've been reviewed or challenged as a catch perhaps, refs, sounded like refs, somebody blew a whistle during the play that K St got the game sealing INT on. Texas Tech coach no doubt going to have something to say about that.

Oregon State has thrown 8 INTs the last two weeks

Penn State has played lackluster football the past two weeks. This game had an familiar feeling to the Illinois upset last year, but today 2022 Northwestern was not 2021 Illinois

UConn, man UConn. Good to see them finally get a win. Fresno only scored 1 offensive TD

Cincy - Tulsa was a really rough game to watch with all the penalties and sacks, plenty of things both those teams need to be better at

Temple led 3-0 at the half. Did lose 24-3, but that team is playing some D at least

Ball State was down 7-24 HT, won 44-38 in OT

Missouri State nearly beat Arkansas a couple weeks ago, they are 0-2 since. Petrino hasn't been able to right that ship

You know, it kinda sucks that GT had such a tough opening schedule...they finally played a weak FBS team and look what happens?

New Mexico State was a 15 point favorite, yeah, they lost straight up

I see UNC was a big favorite for a reason, and the people that moved the line up knew what they were doing

People who flipped San Jose to favorite knew what they were doing

Kent State plays perhaps their worst first half of football all year, not vs Washington, not vs Oklahoma, not vs Georgia, but vs Ohio University - go figure

pittburgh paul showed up today.....chryst was a horrible coach at pitt and will turn Wisconsin into mediocrity quickly

kansas is big twelve favorite for me. Oklahoma and okie state defense are miles worse then iowa state and setup for big days for daniels , i think today was the day to get them. baylor will pose a challenge. not sure about tcu yet.

auburn-missouri might of been a decent game afterall

oregon state outgained utah. would like to fade utah and ucla

I mentioned it in the in-game thread, but I think it's time to be worried about UGA. They are still going to out-talent most teams, but that's 2 straight games they looked disinterested. They were jawing with Mizzou showing the ring sign before the game. They remind me a lot of the Alabama team the year after they won their first title. Ultra talented, but maybe not mature enough to handle the success. They can still turn it around of course, but those games against UK and Tenn just got a lot more interesting in my mind.

Not sure how AU managed to lose that game. I'm about to get on an airplane, I expect to read about Harsin being fired once I land. Maybe they are waiting for after the UGA game.

I'm pretty happy with how Alabama responded after losing Bryce in the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure there are many teams that could have won that game in those circumstances. Sounds like Bryce will be fine, and if our WR learn how to catch balls that hit their hands, this could be a really good team. Road schedule will be tough to navigate unscathed though: @ Ark, @ Tenn, @ Ole Miss, @ LSU

Miss St is a good team. I know the short-comings of aTm, and that State lost that game to LSU they had no business losing, but Miss St is going to be a tough out for everyone they play. Egg bowl is going to be epic this season, as it is most years

Great win for Ole Miss. UK had their chances but couldn't capitalize.

In the SEC, there are going to be 2 or 3 pretty good teams that go 8-4. Something to think about for bowl season, though hard to gauge interest levels these days

Last edited:
Several teams got their first cover of the season this week: Auburn, Boise (counting New Mex as a push), Boston College, Florida International, Georgia State (counting UNC as a push), Nebraska and Utah State.

A couple teams lost their first cover of the year: Minnesota, Oregon State, South Alabama, UNLV, Washington

And some remained undefeated ATS: Arkansas State (2-3 SU / 5-0 ATS), James Madison (4-0 / 4-0), Kansas (5-0 / 5-0), Southern Miss (2-2 / 4-0), TCU (4-0 / 4-0)

I mentioned it in the in-game thread, but I think it's time to be worried about UGA. They are still going to out-talent most teams, but that's 2 straight games they looked disinterested. They were jawing with Mizzou showing the ring sign before the game. They remind me a lot of the Alabama team the year after they won their first title. Ultra talented, but maybe not mature enough to handle the success. They can still turn it around of course, but those games against UK and Tenn just got a lot more interesting in my mind.

Not sure how AU managed to lose that game. I'm about to get on an airplane, I expect to read about Harsin being fired once I land. Maybe they are waiting for after the UGA game.

I'm pretty happy with how Alabama responded after losing Bryce in the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure there are many teams that could have won that game in those circumstances. Sounds like Bryce will be fine, and if our WR learn how to catch balls that hit their hands, this could be a really good team. Road schedule will be tough to navigate unscathed though: @ Ark, @ Tenn, @ Ole Miss, @ LSU

Miss St is a good team. I know the short-comings of aTm, and that State lost that game to LSU they had no business losing, but Miss St is going to be a tough out for everyone they play. Egg bowl is going to be epic this season, as it is most years

Great win for Ole Miss. UK had their chances but couldn't capitalize.

In the SEC, there are going to be 2 or 3 pretty good teams that go 8-4. Something to think about for bowl season, though hard to gauge interest levels these days
The fact that LSU winning games they should lose is always a good sign.

Yea it’s a few games and these aren’t his guys and Daniels ain’t good but Denbrock can leave tomorrow as far as I’m concerned

Maybe. But they're coached by a Jekyll and Hyde clown who can all too often lose a game for his team as often as he can win one. Leach over the last few years has been as interested in cute schtick and winning pressers instead of having his teams play smart football.

You can tell I'm a big fan.

We'll see.

Brock Huard is a sound and respected CFB analyst. I think he's good. Was on Lance Taylor's show a week ago Friday before OU played K-State. Huard was unequivocally sold on OU's defense, just on them across the board. Could not have been more confident in their abilities.

You never know. Perhaps it helps to play living and breathing teams.

Bet on and lost with both AF and BYU last two weeks. Got off the BYU losses betting Live while watching them. I think ND is going to dominate BYU this weekend in LV and is a great bet at -3. That ND backup QB was awful that 1H vs. Cal but has since been decent. Don't think it's going to matter a whole lot vs. BYU - BYU is simply not that good. Their D looks awful to me and I think ND will dominate the LOS, making it easy on the backup QB. Might even look like the ND/NC game. Since I always lose these games I feel strongly about, will just be a 1u play.

But at least I've learned you probably don't want to lay big #'s with AF and BYU.

This is a visual of the college football defense and offense rankings that I posted last week. This is updated after this weekend.

1664749040429.png

Bet on and lost with both AF and BYU last two weeks. Got off the BYU losses betting Live while watching them. I think ND is going to dominate BYU this weekend in LV and is a great bet at -3. That ND backup QB was awful that 1H vs. Cal but has since been decent. Don't think it's going to matter a whole lot vs. BYU - BYU is simply not that good. Their D looks awful to me and I think ND will dominate the LOS, making it easy on the backup QB. Might even look like the ND/NC game. Since I always lose these games I feel strongly about, will just be a 1u play.

But at least I've learned you probably don't want to lay big #'s with AF and BYU.
I have a decent sized rsw on on BYU over 8.5 and I couldn't be less impressed with them. Uncharacteristically soft on both LOS. Not sure how they beat Baylor, but were very ordinary vs Wyo and USU.

The thing that struck me watching BYU the last two weeks is how undisciplined they are. Big penalties in big moments that either helped Wyoming or Utah State or hurt the BYU O. It wasn' that long ago, I recall people saying Sitake was not a good coach, then 2020 happened and last year when they produced DD win seasons. But teams committing penalties at the rate BYU has been, at the times BYU has been it reflects very poorly on their coaching.

Could be that BYU didn't take Wyoming and Utah State all too seriously, because now BYU is, or wants to be, one of the big boys - the type that can play with and beat Power 5 teams more often than not while thinking they can just go out and push their other opponents around and not play their best ball.

The thing that struck me watching BYU the last two weeks is how undisciplined they are. Big penalties in big moments that either helped Wyoming or Utah State or hurt the BYU O. It wasn' that long ago, I recall people saying Sitake was not a good coach, then 2020 happened and last year when they produced DD win seasons. But teams committing penalties at the rate BYU has been, at the times BYU has been it reflects very poorly on their coaching.

Could be that BYU didn't take Wyoming and Utah State all too seriously, because now BYU is, or wants to be, one of the big boys - the type that can play with and beat Power 5 teams more often than not while thinking they can just go out and push their other opponents around and not play their best ball.
I've thought about this. Now you could give them a pass for USU with ND on deck. But I'm just amazed how their 27 and 28 year Olds are getting pushed around.

100% agree on the undisciplined part. Exactly what I was yelling at my TV watching them the last 2 weeks. Very frustrating to watch. Plus definitely can't lay a big # with them - Sitaki doesn't care enough. I just think ND might rip them a new one. I think the Oregon game might be the reality.

Kansas State played today a lot likey they played every other game except for OU, not making the most of their opportunities. It almost cost them, but they cover in the end. Strange play, there was a pass late 4th Q that could've been reviewed or challenged as a catch perhaps, refs, sounded like refs, somebody blew a whistle during the play that K St got the game sealing INT on. Texas Tech coach no doubt going to have something to say about that.

Oregon State has thrown 8 INTs the last two weeks

Penn State has played lackluster football the past two weeks. This game had an familiar feeling to the Illinois upset last year, but today 2022 Northwestern was not 2021 Illinois

UConn, man UConn. Good to see them finally get a win. Fresno only scored 1 offensive TD

Cincy - Tulsa was a really rough game to watch with all the penalties and sacks, plenty of things both those teams need to be better at

Temple led 3-0 at the half. Did lose 24-3, but that team is playing some D at least

Ball State was down 7-24 HT, won 44-38 in OT

Missouri State nearly beat Arkansas a couple weeks ago, they are 0-2 since. Petrino hasn't been able to right that ship

You know, it kinda sucks that GT had such a tough opening schedule...they finally played a weak FBS team and look what happens?

New Mexico State was a 15 point favorite, yeah, they lost straight up

I see UNC was a big favorite for a reason, and the people that moved the line up knew what they were doing

People who flipped San Jose to favorite knew what they were doing

Kent State plays perhaps their worst first half of football all year, not vs Washington, not vs Oklahoma, not vs Georgia, but vs Ohio University - go figure
I'm already on Texas -5. Right now, every team in the Big 12 is more well-coached than Oklahoma. Oklahoma has now gotten out coached, out smarted and physically dominated by two teams that together--all 170 scholarship players--do not have one player who Oklahoma even bothered to offer. At least if they lose to Texas they'll lose to a bunch of other NIL four and five stars.

The coaching staff appears helpless to know what to do. Interesting, because they talked more than any OU staff in history when they arrived and every day since. Lots of criticism of the prior staff. How now the players would be in shape and play with passion and focus. How they would now line up right and understand defense so much better now.

Oklahoma has beaten TCU eight straight years and most of the wins by been by three scores or more. Last year it was 52-31. This year both teams change coaches and anyone could see how things have changed. I don't see where Oklahoma can count on a win the rest of the schedule.

Saw a lot of tough, well coached, physical teams this week. The AAC continues to put out great games and great teams. Tulane and Houston played a real football game. Guys going all out, giving everything, violent collisions all over the field, gets getting rocked and getting up and going after it again, just good football.

I had to laugh when I saw how many public handicappers took N Mexico State this week end. Doug on Daily Wager was on it of course. Every TV gambling show listed it as a "smart" play. The idea was that FIU is the worst team in college football by a mile. Suckers are never going to learn it's a blunder to bet on one really, really bad team to be better than another really, really bad team.

Ole Miss has the best D they've had in a long time. Good thing because the O isn't the machine it was with Corral. Ole Miss and Kentucky are both damn good teams that can beat anyone. Kentucky remains one of the best teams to bet on in football. The good thing is, no matter how often they win the public and the books never give them any more respect.

UCLA looked the best I've seen them. Washington is a good team and UCLA just beat them down. I still don't trust UCLA. They are just as apt to come out and go through the motions as they are to look like they did this week.

Oklahoma State looks like the best team in the Big 12 to me and Gundy remains one of the best coaches in football. One of the best D-lines in the country and lots of speed all over the field. Sanders is great when he's on and he's been on every game this year. I knew the receivers were as good as any team in the country, but didn't realize the RBs were good enough to run on Baylor like they did.

Miss State is good on both sides of the ball. Best talent Leach has ever had. They make some dumb, dumb, dumb mistakes, but play hard every play. Their D can keep them in any game. Bet them on the open against Arkansas. Got Miss State -4. I saw 3x everywhere, but when I tried to bet them they were -4.

Can't make up my mind on Oregon. They look great at times, ordinary at others. Just like their QB, I still can't tell how good a coach the new guy is.

Last edited:
Agree that Oklahoma State is the best team in the Big 12. Aranda comes off as a funeral home director. But his team is vicious, nasty and relentless. Okie State went into Waco and took all the best shots, responded and was the best team on the field. You won't see a better road win in the conference this season.

There's still Spencer Sanders. But maybe he is over the hump.

Last edited:

Sitaki is a clown coach honestly

Air Force outgained Navy 356-243, but only won 13-10. AF scored just 1 TD on 4 RZ trips (other 3 were FG, fumble, FG). Another AF fumble essentially handed Navy a free 3 pts (Navy moved that possession 11 yards before kicking FG). AF had 9 TFLs

Yardage and First Downs all fairly even for Bowling Green and Akron. Akron more FDs (24-21) and RY (184-175), BG with more PY (247-224) and TY (422-408). BG had a 29y pick-six and benefited from 3 Akron TOs all which led to 17 points. The pick-six, a fumble recovery at the A39 and a muffed punt recovery at the A03. BG D had 6 sacks and 9 TFLs

Army's 1H possessions were fumble at the G34, punt, SOD at the G36 and fumble a the G21. Army trailed 0-17 at HT and tried coming back with back-to-back TDs to open the 2H, but then were SOD G01, SOD G28 and threw INT. Georgia State won 31-14 and did outgain Army 456-365

Auburn outgained LSU 438-270, but lost 17-21...Auburn led 17-0! But an LSU D TD fumble return and an offensive drive cut it to 17-14 HT. Auburn was SOD at L37, threw INT at the L05 and INT at the L36 on 3 of their 4 final drives of the game.

NIU ran for 332! But Ball State passed for 403! Ball State recovered from a 21-0 deficit and came from behind to win in OT

Baylor outgained Oklahoma State 457-379. Ok St D got a safety and a 98y KO return TD for 9 non-offensive points to lead 23-3 very early 3rd Q. Baylor made it 23-17, but Ok St got another big KO return and soon made it 30-17. Baylor went for it on 4th down twice from their own 30-ish yard line, once failed = a Ok St FG and once was a 70y TD pass making it 33-25. A Baylor INT led to a FG for Ok St 36-25 and a final INT ended any comeback hopes for Baylor. Baylor was poor 3-of-11 on 3rd down, but 3-of-5 4th down.

San Diego State led 13-0 HT. An INT set up a short field FG and Aztecs also blk'd a punt for TD in the 1H. Boise burried them in the 2H and won 35-13 with a 450-117 TY edge. S D State is averaging just 200 ypg on O vs FBS teams this year

BC outgained Louisville 448-352, but some turnovers handed LV some easy points. LV had 10 points from BC TOs including a 5p 14y possession after a fumble recovery and a 2p 17y possession after another fumble recovery. BC didn't do themselves any favors in the RZ, just 1-of-4 TDs and a poor 2-of-9 3rd down covnersion rate.

Miami Ohio outgained Buffalo 359-278, but lost 20-24. Miami outrushed them 240-90! There was a big INT in the 2nd Q that was nearly ret'd for a Buffalo TD, but UB instead was held to a 4th-goal attempt, which they converted for a TD. Miami also benefitted from a turnover gained in UB territory, but they only managed a FG out of it. Buffalo +4 point differential off TOs and they won by 4. Miami was also penalized 11x 96y. Both teams were poor on 3rd down, combining 9-of-28.

UTEP only outgained Charlotte 431-425, won 41-35. UTEP had TWO fumble return TDs, one of which was 100y! That one put them up 41-21 4th Q. Charlotte had two long drives for TD in the 4th Q to make the final closer.

Clemson led just 13-10 HT vs NC State. It was 20-13 Clemson when Leary threw INT late 3rd Q and Clemson turned that into a 23-13 lead. Any chance of a comeback ended mid-4th Q when NC State fumbled on 4th down at the C39. Clemson iced it with 3min to go with a TD. Tigers outgained them 354-279

Coastal Carolina scored the game winning TD with just :38 left vs Georgia Southern in a game that saw 3 lead changes in the final 6min. TY were fairly even 485-462

UConn snapped 18-game FBS losing streak beating Fresno 19-14! Fresno was 0-7 3rd down and 0-2 4th down! Fresno fumbled twice in UConn territory in the 1H, but UConn fumbled in Fresno territory 2H - but a few plays later the UConn D got it back on an INT leading to Huskies first TD of the game and cut the Fresno lead to 14-12 3rd Q. UConn's game winning TD drive was 94 yards with three different 3rd down conversions, scoring with just 2min left. UConn outgained them 331-187. Fresno only scored 1 offensive TD, their other TD was a punt return.

Duke won 38-17 while outgaining Virginia 377-295 as most of UVA's yards came late in the game. Duke did have leads of 21-0, 28-7 and 35-10.

UMass led 10-0 at Eastern Michigan and extended it to 13-0 early 2H! After a mistake filled a sluggish O, EM turned it on in the 2H while their D shut down the UMass O and EM won 20-13 with a 339-255 TY edge.

Houston outgained Tulane 383-273. Tulane got a 57y fumble return TD to break a 7-7 tie. But Houston would lead 21-14 late 4th Q. Tulane tied with :39 left on a 4th down TD pass. UH had to settle for a FG in OT and Tulane won on a 10y TD pass.

Iowa O had their best offensive game vs a P5 opponent this year with 281y (5.11) and 2 TDs (previously Iowa O hadn't scored more than 1 TD in any game vs P5 competition).

Kansas was held to just 213 yards of total O as Iowa State outgained them 313-213. Kansas had 28 total yards of O in the 2H. One of KU's TDs came on a 19y "drive" following an INT. ISU missed 3-of-4 FGs including an awful miss that would've tied the game with :30 left.

Texas Tech outgained Kansas State 473-459 for the game, but in the 1Q it was all K St with a 172-25 yardage edge and multiple turnovers, but the score would be just 13-0 early on. Texas Tech owned the 2nd Q 146-24 yardage advantage and the HT score was 13-10 K State. TT actually would tie at 13-13 and 20-20, but a Martinez 69y TD run gave them the lead for good. TT's final drives were missed FG, SOD own 40 (led to K St FG), fumbled at own 27 (led to K St TD) and after a TD with 2pt conv cut it to 28-37 game, TT got the onside kick, but threw an INT at the K17 to end any comeback. TT was net -3 TOs.

Kent State had 736 yards of Offense, but only had 10 pts through the F3 Q and just 24 pts in regulation. Kent fumbled at the O23 after a 52y drive, fumbled at midfield after driving from inside their own 5 yard line, missed FG after 51y drive, SOD at O34 and SOD at O36 after 46 and 51y drives.

Memphis had a 22-7 FD edge, but only outgained Temple 331-297 while winning 24-3. 100 of Temple's yards came on their final 4 drives of the game. The Owls were SOD at the M04 in the 1H and they led 3-0 HT! Memphis O only crossed midfield twice in the 1H both were SOD at the T39 and T43, but in the 2H after being SOD again this time at the T12, Memphis scored on 4 straight possessions.

Last edited:
Buyer beware, the easy 1Q, 1H Bama bets won't be so easy going forward

There are actually several SEC teams that will give them a sweat going forward (not named Auburn)

UTSA led by as much as 18 pts, but had three consecutive drives end with an INT in the 2H vs MTSU, one was returned 37y for TD which cut the score to 38-30. Also of note, MTSU scored zero TDs on 4 RZ trips. UTSA outgained them 590-452

One week after scoring zero points in the 2H vs Tulsa, Ole Miss only scored 3 pts in the 2H vs Kentucky. UK missed an xpt, missed a FG and were tackled for a safety after Ole Miss downed a punt at the 1 yard line. UK lost by 3 ending the game with back-to-back fumbles on their final two drives of the game at the M21 and M25.

Mississippi State had a 50y blk'd FG ret for TD and a 33y pick-six return in their 42-24 win over Texas A&M. Miss State did outgain them 473-388. A&M lost 4 turnovers and only scored 3 TDs on 6 RZ trips while struggling 2-of-9 on 3rd downs.

Georgia outgained Missouri 481-294. There were a total of 9 FGs kicked in this game. Georgia kicked FGs from the from the M23, M16, M11 and M11 (only 2 TDs on 5 RZ trips). Missouri kicked FGs from the G23, G32, G04, G34 and G38. Missouri did have 9 TFLs (2 sacks) and had 7 QBH. UGA had 7 TFLs (2 sacks) and zero QBH. Both were poor on 3rd down, UGA being 4-for-13, Mizzou 3-of-13.

FIU outgained New Mexico State 334-221 and outrushed them 152-82.

UNC outgained VT 527-273

North Texas won 45-28, but only outgained FAU 481-432. Each team lost 2 turnovers a piece and each team had an INT ret for TD, but North Texas basically had two pick-sixes, as another return was to the 1 yard line resulting in another North Texas TD off turnovers.

Penn State lost 5 turnovers, Northwestern lost 3

Pitt outgained GT 411-334. 167 of Pitt's yards were on their final two possessions of the game which they took for TDs while being down 7-19, made it 14-19 and then 14-26, made it 21-26. Pitt was -3 TOs, all of which GT turned into points. Pitt opened the game with 3 consecutive 3-and-outs. GT LB Charlie Thomas was suspended 1H and he had a big impact in the 2H, turning in the second most tackles, he had an INT and a fumble recovery + 43y return. Pitt had several dropped passes and would-be INTs that went off defenders hands. Pitt finished the game just 2-of-12 on 3rd down.

UAB led 17-7 HT at Rice although one of UAB's scoring drives was a 1p 3y possession for TD after a Rice fumble. Rice scored on their opening possession of the game then didn't cross midfield their next 6 possessions! Rice finally scored to trail by 3, 17-14 game. Then a UAB pass went backwards and Rice scooped and scored it for the 21-17 lead. UAB went back up and Rice went back ahead both on long drives. UAB would be SOD at the R15, Rice punted, but UAB's final possession ended on 3 straight Rice sacks! There were some key UAB penalties, they were called for 12x-116y to Rice's 10x-75y.

Syracuse outgained Wagner 631-50

TCU outgained Oklahoma 668-355

Central Michigan led 3-0, Toledo would score the next 31 pts! There was a 5 possession stretch 1Q/2Q where CM had a total of 10y of O after accounting for sack yardage. CM got it to 31-17 before Toledo capped the scoring at 38-17.

Utah had 127 return yards off of 4 Oregon State INTs including a pick-six and other Beav INTs gave Utah O the ball at the O25 and O30, both resulting in Utah TDs. Oregon State was able to move it when they weren't throwing INTs, but they struggled in the RZ and had to settle for FGs from the U08 twice and another from the U13. Oregon State had the yardage edge 417-361

Cal ran for 38att-354y the week prior vs Arizona, they only ran 24att-31y vs Washington State.

Back