Week 5 SEC Discussion

Dude where are you guys getting these WR? I have to look up a new guy each game that I didn't even know you had that looks like an NFL type player. Van Jefferson had himself a game and Lodge (my mystery guy of the week) had that nice TD in the 1H.

I thought the secondary was better but also I think that was more a product of UGA dropping 5 balls in first 20 min and then the game got out of balance and it's a lot easier to defend if you're a DB then. They have dropped quite a lot of balls so far this season. After watching more on Eason I wonder if part of the drops are a product of how hard he throws each ball. Kinda has a little Lamar Jackson in him where every pass is a heater.

In Year 1 Freeze said he needed 8 WRs to effectively run his offense. I think he's finally got them. There are a couple of good ones getting shirts too. If only he could find a RB....

The secondary definitely benefited from the drops, but WRs weren't running free in space all day, which is an improvement. They won't be a strength, but they will continue to get better.

Dude where are you guys getting these WR? I have to look up a new guy each game that I didn't even know you had that looks like an NFL type player. Van Jefferson had himself a game and Lodge (my mystery guy of the week) had that nice TD in the 1H.

I thought the secondary was better but also I think that was more a product of UGA dropping 5 balls in first 20 min and then the game got out of balance and it's a lot easier to defend if you're a DB then. They have dropped quite a lot of balls so far this season. After watching more on Eason I wonder if part of the drops are a product of how hard he throws each ball. Kinda has a little Lamar Jackson in him where every pass is a heater.

it is insane....chad kelly looks good, but my GOD what is right behind him scares the shit outta me.........i would NEVER say that in public around any toddy's, but that kid is fucking GOOD

In Year 1 Freeze said he needed 8 WRs to effectively run his offense. I think he's finally got them. There are a couple of good ones getting shirts too. If only he could find a RB....

The secondary definitely benefited from the drops, but WRs weren't running free in space all day, which is an improvement. They won't be a strength, but they will continue to get better.

almost like LSU's QB situation.....I mean Deuce the last one?(please dont say Dexter.....those kind of builds i think has been OP problem)

Thoughts on UF/Vandy

If you haven't watched the Vandy/WKU game, don't go back. Because after you do, it's going to be really, really, really hard not to lay 10 in a terrible spot on the road with Florida. I'm so glad I did though from the standpoint of how box scores alone just don't tell the full story. Vandy has 389 yards offense in game so you think they were fine offesnively but that's simply not true. They had 225 yards of offense with 8 min left to go in 4Q. They pick up the rest when a DB falls down on a play, WKU plays prevent defense in the final minute and in the 25 yard TD drive in OT. Shurmur's stat line looks decent but he was pretty awful - just inaccurate and inconsistent passing and not a great athlete. The game never should have made OT - WKU turned it over twice inside the 5 and missed a 25 yard FG. Should/could have easily been a 3 score win. And just a side note on WKU - this isn't last year's team or anything close to it - they've taken a monster step back at QB but they ran it well they ran it down Vandy's throat and their defense had 12 TFL! Webb had a 38 yarder and 27 carries total for 97 yards and aside from the one long one he was 2.2 ypc. That's not going to cut it against this UF defense that has feasted on offenses like this to start the season. Also, from a matchup standpoint, Vandy blitzes a good bit and are really susceptible to the screen game, which is Nuss' and Mac's bread and butter. This is now 5 of Vandy's past 6 games dating back to last season where the defense hasn't been good. I know it's a big IF from a psychological standpoint if the Gators want to play but upon further review I think they will win going away. Line is 10 and looking like 10.5 currently more likely than 9.5 but I'm going to have a hard time passing at 10 and at 9.5 I won't pass. 34-10

Interesting stat tweeted by Paul Stone for those that haven't seen....

SInce start of 2008, Alabama is 15-1 ATS as conferemce favorite of 20 or > points, with opponents averaging 7 ppg & none scoring >14 points

Thoughts on ECU/UCF

I've been biding my time to bet ECU - thankfully, I passed the past couple weeks in two very deceptive scorelines. Really, the past three games all have deceptive scorelines for ECU. They beat NC State 33-30 in a game they probably shouldn't have won but that is debatable. Next week they go to USCe as a small dog and almost double up USCe in plays run in putting up 528 yards to the Cocks 322. ECU -4 in TO in that game which equates to 20 points and they just couldn't finish drives in a 20-15 loss. Last week they get smoked by VT 54-17 in a game that looks a lot closer than that by the numbers. 16-18 in first downs, 443-462 in total yardage, 6.1 to 6.46 in ypp. Adjusted scoring margin has this one as a 24 pt game versus the 37 in finished. ECU throws the ball really well and this will be the first time UCF will have been tested through the air. SC State, Mich, Maryland and FIU - none have the type of pass offense that ECU has there. There is a chance their secondary is pretty good but without having seen it tested I have to like the matchup for the Pirates. Last year ECU won this game 44-7 had a +390 yardage advantage and had 19 more first downs. I think it's fair to assume that UCF will be one of the more improved teams this season but that is a lot of room to make up especially when they made wholesale philosophical changes and now run a variation of the Oregon offense under Frost. UCF lost their starting QB a couple games ago. Milton had a decent game against Maryland and didn't have to do anything last week against hapless FIU. This is major class relief for ECU after coming off three straight games against ACC and SEC opponents. Special teams have been a big issue for ECU and Montgomery addressed that this week as he is going to put some starters on special teams to help remedy that weakness. I don't dislike UCF at all I think they can rebuild something pretty awesome down there this is just asking for a way ahead of schedule turn around and this line says they are pretty much equals, which I don't agree with. This is a must win for ECU if they want to go bowling. Not that they will be major dogs on any game left on the schedule but if they don't win this one at home against a team they beat by 5 TD last year in a game which was lined ECU -16 @ UCF then it could be a long season.

Good stuff CrimsonK. Maybe I should name this the CK weekly thread, lol. I don't have near the time to watch complete games that I used to, so keep delivering your thoughts, they are appreciated. I've gone through the card a few times, and nearly every game I'm interested in betting, I think I can wait to see what the line does, so no plays yet

Good stuff CrimsonK. Maybe I should name this the CK weekly thread, lol. I don't have near the time to watch complete games that I used to, so keep delivering your thoughts, they are appreciated. I've gone through the card a few times, and nearly every game I'm interested in betting, I think I can wait to see what the line does, so no plays yet

haha my business really slows this time of year and through winter so I have more time to watch games, even though some of it is less on Saturdays. Can get through a youtube game in two hours - used to be able to see some "express games" or something like that on SEC networks which were awesome you could see whole game in like an hour. If anybody reads this and has a good place to watch replays, especially ones less than 2/2.5 hours, please let me know.

Thoughts on Syracuse/ND:

I won't give a whole lot on this one. Two offenses that are explosive against two defenses that are pathetic. If I felt this was truly Van Gorders fault then I would be more concerned about a potential coaching bump/inspired effort from that unit but these guys just stink. The DC has nothing to do with why you can't get to the QB, cover a guy or tackle. This game is OTB now due to news that Baber just said his QB Dungey has an undisclosed injury and his status is unknown. I was able to get this at 70.5 and it was 74.5 being being taken down so I don't know where it comes back but without diving into this one too much I think I would consider buying back some of my position given the opportunity. I will dig in more later but this news stinks.

Thoughts on Navy/AFA:

Got a great number at open. I bet this under every year and it cashes just about every year I think I've only lost it once or twice in betting it past 10 years. I love playing option teams under the total when they play one another. 33-11, 30-21, 28-10, 28-21, 35-34, 14-6, 16-13, 33-27, 31-20, 24-17, 27-24, 24-21. So it typically plays lower scoring. Navy offense taken huge step back without Reynolds running show and even with him under center they never made 400 yards offense in this game. AFA allowing 51 ypg on the ground and Navy actually has the odd edge this season in having already played a pseudo option team in Tulane - 21-14 final, 600 yards offense, 126 plays and 102 rush plays. Seems to me we could see a similar scoreline in this game. Navy is nasty against unranked opponents - last lost to unranked team was AFA back in 2014, that makes 19 straight. I think this year's edition could be particularly bruising.

haha my business really slows this time of year and through winter so I have more time to watch games, even though some of it is less on Saturdays. Can get through a youtube game in two hours - used to be able to see some "express games" or something like that on SEC networks which were awesome you could see whole game in like an hour. If anybody reads this and has a good place to watch replays, especially ones less than 2/2.5 hours, please let me know.

Thoughts on Syracuse/ND:

I won't give a whole lot on this one. Two offenses that are explosive against two defenses that are pathetic. If I felt this was truly Van Gorders fault then I would be more concerned about a potential coaching bump/inspired effort from that unit but these guys just stink. The DC has nothing to do with why you can't get to the QB, cover a guy or tackle. This game is OTB now due to news that Baber just said his QB Dungey has an undisclosed injury and his status is unknown. I was able to get this at 70.5 and it was 74.5 being being taken down so I don't know where it comes back but without diving into this one too much I think I would consider buying back some of my position given the opportunity. I will dig in more later but this news stinks.

Yeah, I don't even see those on FoxSW any more. Those were great.

Thoughts on Baylor/Iowa St:

I've been waiting to play Iowa State and regretting passing on them last week. I like them this week getting 17 but actually think I prefer the over. The Iowa St OL has been a major concern through the first several games but finally game together last week and that's what I've been waiting for. I think as important as what I saw from them on the 44-10 win was the momentum and confidence they can finally take into the week. I had been hoping they would make a change at QB although that wasn't their biggest issue, IMO, Park was 15-19 for 165 and 3 TD while Lanning was 5/8 for 136 and 2 TD. They put up 500 yards offense and 8.06 ypp. The ground game got on track getting 187 yards at 5.8 ypc. The problem was still that they surrendered 342 yards and 24 FD to a backup QB in a spot that was very conducive to a big win. The Iowa State secondary is the strength of their team and they will get a good test here. Against TCU they gave 6.2 ypp and 481 yards offense, 6.59 ypp and 448 yards to Iowa. I'm pretty comfortable saying that Baylor is superior offensively to Iowa for sure, TCU pretty comparable although different stylistically. Baylor is pretty good at scheming and I think they see how poor the Iowa St defense is against the run and they gash them there and use that to open up throwing lanes. Baylor offense finally opened things up last week against Okie St an put up 500 yards offense on only 65 plays. They gave up 500 to Okie St also but it took 100 plays - problem for Okie State is they couldnt finish drives they got the ball down in the red zone 4 times I can remember and came away with 3 points. Baylor is gonna do it's thing offensively and while Im not ready to anoint ISU an offensive juggernaut, they showed me what i needed to see last week and I am confident they have success against the Bears. Baylor has been fortunate to play 3 really bad offenses and last week against a good one they didn't look very good and were pretty fortunate to win and hold Okie St to 24. Last year Baylor won this one 45-27 in a game that was totaled 74.5. Getting a 2 TD price reduction is nice, the past 4 games in this series have all had totals in the 70s. Tend to think pace trends more Baylor's way in a game where scores are traded although Iowa St is on the slower paced while Baylor 5th in adj pace. I think it plays coming like a 38-28

[FONT=&quot]Alabama redshirt freshman quarterback Blake Barnett has reportedly left the Crimson Tide football program and is transferring, according to AL.com's Matt Zenitz.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The former five-star quarterback was not present during the media viewing portion of Alabama's Wednesday practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barnett started Alabama's season-opening game against USC behind center before true freshman Jalen Hurts took over the starting job in Week 2. Since then, Barnett has been the backup quarterback but has seen playing time with the first-team offense in two of the Tide's three other regular season games.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barnett has thrown for 219 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions on 11-19 passing. He redshirted a year ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Corona, Calif., native was the No. 2 pro-style quarterback , the No. 5 player in California and the No. 21 overall prospect in the 2016 recruiting cycle, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With Barnett leaving the program, redshirt junior Cooper Bateman will likely step into the No. 2 quarterback role.[/FONT]

Wonder if Barnett leaving makes Kiffin and Saban limit the amount of QB runs for Hurts? Incredibly selfish move by Barnett and his helicopter dad. I wonder if they are eyeing some teams that are on the quarter system so he can start his lost year clock early?

Wonder if Barnett leaving makes Kiffin and Saban limit the amount of QB runs for Hurts? Incredibly selfish move by Barnett and his helicopter dad. I wonder if they are eyeing some teams that are on the quarter system so he can start his lost year clock early?

In this game, I would think so. What I could piece together from reading some interviews and practice reports is that I think we try to work the deep ball this week and get that timing down. It seems Ridley has been pissed at not getting all his throws from Hurts with the 1's thus far and felt it was hurting timing. Makes sense. Also, encouraging to think that is another reason to believe the offense improves as the season goes as well as just the natural maturation of Hurts. Would think based on this transfer news we go real hard for a half and maybe couple drives of 3Q and now you gotta get Bateman some throws, right? Even though Jurts needs the reps I think Bateman does now too - I could see us throwing later in this game than we usually do. I'll be looking to play longest TD prop over in this game, I did against OM and that worked well, and I think while probably not as strong as that one was (should be around 55 yards) I think it's worth a strong look.

Interesting thought on quarter system. How would that work?

Hot off the press:

[FONT=&quot]TUSCALOOSA -- The news broke during Alabama’s Wednesday practice that redshirt freshman quarterback Blake Barnett was transferring and has left the Crimson Tide program. The former five-star quarterback was not present during the media viewing periods of practice, but after the afternoon session, head coach Nick Saban could not confirm the report.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I know there’s a lot swirling around about Blake Barnett,” Saban said in a news conference. “He did come to see me today before practice with some concerns about his future. Blake is a fine young man, he’s done a great job in this program and we’d love to see him be a part of the program in the future. But we also want him to do what’s best for him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I don’t have a final decision on that. Nobody has told me that. You may know more about it than I do, so I can’t make any more comments about it other than that.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Asked if Barnett was still with the team, Saban did not have an answer for that.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I don’t know,” Saban said. “We’ll make a statement when we find out for sure.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barnett started Alabama’s season-opening game against USC behind center before Jalen Hurts took over the starting job in Week 2. Since then, Barnett has been the No. 2 signal caller but has seen playing time with the first-team offense.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As Saban said, Barnett visited his office before Wednesday’s practice to talk with him about the future. The Crimson Tide head coach was asked how those meetings go and what he tries to do when a player comes to him with concerns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I listen, I try to understand, listen really closely about what their concerns are,” Saban said. “I understand that everybody wants to play. I understand only one guy can play quarterback, although we’ve had a pretty significant competition at that position. Both guys have played quite a bit and done good things at time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I try to make them aware of the consequences of the decisions that they make and offer some experiences that we’ve had in the past and try to get them to make the best-value decision for their decision. And sometimes we agree on that, and sometimes we don’t. It’s everybody’s choice to make in terms of what they do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I try to do what’s best for our team and the players on it. My focus has to be on the players that are on our team, who are committed to our team, who are gonna work to help this team be good and try to get better. And the guys that put the team first are the most important thing for us right now in terms of us being a better team.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barnett has thrown for 219 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions on 11-19 passing. He redshirted a year ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Corona, Calif., native was the No. 2 pro-style quarterback, the No. 5 player in California and the No. 21 overall prospect in the 2016 recruiting cycle, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.[/FONT]

like your UGA play, CK. I circled it preseason as I was not a TENN believer and still am not today.

I'm worried that UGA is not good and/or that TENN finally plays a good game after being terrible every game so far it seems.

The spot was great preseason and it has only gotten better since TENN decided to finally beat UF for the first time since the internet was invented. However the possibility of no Chubb is a problem and i did expect UGA's QB situation to be better by this point. Catching 3 and a hook is pretty good between the hedges in this rivalry as I would think their non-blackout crowd is worth 4-5 points and that's being conservative.

Also curious if anyone thinks Butch Jones is a good coach? Followed Brian Kelly at CMU and Cincy and has had uber-talented teams in Knoxville for a few seasons and they have not met expectations. Also think Dobbs underperforms every single time i watch him and the stat that Treon Harris had the same QB rating against top-25 teams in their careers makes complete sense because he's not a good QB

like your UGA play, CK. I circled it preseason as I was not a TENN believer and still am not today.

I'm worried that UGA is not good and/or that TENN finally plays a good game after being terrible every game so far it seems.

The spot was great preseason and it has only gotten better since TENN decided to finally beat UF for the first time since the internet was invented. However the possibility of no Chubb is a problem and i did expect UGA's QB situation to be better by this point. Catching 3 and a hook is pretty good between the hedges in this rivalry as I would think their non-blackout crowd is worth 4-5 points and that's being conservative.

Also curious if anyone thinks Butch Jones is a good coach? Followed Brian Kelly at CMU and Cincy and has had uber-talented teams in Knoxville for a few seasons and they have not met expectations. Also think Dobbs underperforms every single time i watch him and the stat that Treon Harris had the same QB rating against top-25 teams in their careers makes complete sense because he's not a good QB
It depends on what your definition of a coach is. Do you consider a good coach someone who can call a gm inside and out, make adjustments in game? Or is a coach you feel is someone that has to manage everyday situations, put the load on other coaches to their jobs, be a top notch recruiter, and build a football team? Or all of the above?

I suppose my definition is you have to be Great at all and Butch is NOT a great game caller or decision maker on the field. I don't feel he is an X & O kinda guy. He does however depend greatly on his other coaches to do their job.
I will give him credit where credit is due.... he is a fantastic recruiter and can run a football team. I just feel he makes some stupid decisions at times. Players love him. His decisions on hiring other coaches to do their jobs have been terrible.

Speaking of helicopter dads, I've hears Shea Patterson at Ole Miss has the same situation and that SP and his dad meet with Hugh Freeze every week. Grove, you heard that too? Luckily for them they have a much clearer succession there, but if SP struggles and Freeze has to make a decision they don't like, I could see it playing out the same way

It depends on what your definition of a coach is. Do you consider a good coach someone who can call a gm inside and out, make adjustments in game? Or is a coach you feel is someone that has to manage everyday situations, put the load on other coaches to their jobs, be a top notch recruiter, and build a football team? Or all of the above?

I suppose my definition is you have to be Great at all and Butch is NOT a great game caller or decision maker on the field. I don't feel he is an X & O kinda guy. He does however depend greatly on his other coaches to do their job.
I will give him credit where credit is due.... he is a fantastic recruiter and can run a football team. I just feel he makes some stupid decisions at times. Players love him. His decisions on hiring other coaches to do their jobs have been terrible.

I agree with this. I kind of see Butch Jones and Les Miles as being similar. Despite it's historical success, Tennessee is a difficult school to be the head coach and to recruit to because there isn't a whole lot of elite talent in state. And the second largest metro area (Memphis) is basically on the opposite end of the state and closer geographically to Ole Miss, Miss St and Alabama. Based on my experience having family in Memphis, I'd say it's more of an Alabama town, then Ole Miss with UT last of those three. Maybe I'm wrong there. And the end of the Fulmer era, Dooley, and Kiffin basically gutted the program. So from a program building standpoint, I don't how you can say that Butch hasn't done a good job. But that's only going to get you so far. At some point you can't say that "next year is our year." I still think they have problems on the OL. And Dobbs is very limited as a passer, but what he did last week was impressive and maybe he's turned a corner. Butch, like Miles, has made some real bone-headed decisions in games, but Miles early on got away with it because he had superior talent. I think we'll learn a lot about the team and Jones in the next 2 weeks. Obviously beating Florida was a huge thing. Now let's see if he can get his team up to play two road games against quality opponents. They'll be up for the Alabama game no doubt, just like they were for Florida.

Adding:

Ok St -2.5
UGA +3.5
aTm -17.5
Mizzou +13
Arizona St +10
UNC +11
Wake Forest +11
Arizona +13.5
TCU +3.5
Iowa St/Baylor UN 61
AU/ULM UN 56

Good to hear from you GW. LOL on non-blackout crowd that has to be worth 2 TD for the visitor. From what I'm hearing, Chubb is in a preventative walking boot for a high ankle sprain and what isn't being reported is that he could be out until the UF game - that was info I got 24 hours ago. I know UGA is shaking things up in the secondary and actually has two true freshman second on the two deep at corner - both super talented. I think if UGA loses this game we start to see a lot of the young guys play - that arent already playing out of necessity and you build for Eason's junior year where Kirby can get the talent back up closer to where it needs to be. This is a huge game for both programs as UT should get throttled next week at aTm and UGA likely to go to Columbia at night playing a Carolina team fresh of their own throttling and that's a spot where UGA has not played well in recent years

I'm not a big fan of Jones nor Dobbs.

Speaking of helicopter dads, I've hears Shea Patterson at Ole Miss has the same situation and that SP and his dad meet with Hugh Freeze every week. Grove, you heard that too? Luckily for them they have a much clearer succession there, but if SP struggles and Freeze has to make a decision they don't like, I could see it playing out the same way

Is Barnett's dad like this also? I've seen you and several others on BOL mention this

Is Barnett's dad like this also? I've seen you and several others on BOL mention this

Yes. His dad is very involved in his career. Frequently speaks to Saban about his son. I imagine Nick will be glad to not have to deal with it any longer. Hear McElroy on radio this morning talking about it too. Said Blake's dad expects him to have a long NFL career. Kind of feel bad for the kid. Hope I don't turn into that kind of dad. But I do need my girls to at least enjoy golf so I can go play, and if they are good enough to get a scholarship, more to the good.

What are you doing on BOL? You should join the darkside of CCC. I dropped Rivals and 247 and haven't missed it all

Yes. His dad is very involved in his career. Frequently speaks to Saban about his son. I imagine Nick will be glad to not have to deal with it any longer. Hear McElroy on radio this morning talking about it too. Said Blake's dad expects him to have a long NFL career. Kind of feel bad for the kid. Hope I don't turn into that kind of dad. But I do need my girls to at least enjoy golf so I can go play, and if they are good enough to get a scholarship, more to the good.

What are you doing on BOL? You should join the darkside of CCC. I dropped Rivals and 247 and haven't missed it all

Honestly, I'm not sure why I even pay for any subscription. I don't follow recruiting really very closely and the quality of free content has improved a ton over the past 5 years, IMO. The more I've gotten into advanced stats the more it's got me on sb nation team sites and for the most part I'm pretty content with their content. I don't even know what CCC is haha

What is BOL? Our board at 24/7 is pretty solid I find...

Anyway...Shea has been down a path...followed his brother around as he took jobs and such....y'all won't miss Barnett at all. Seems like the kid has no chest...he can see where it's going. I watched him and frankly, he is not that good.

Tim Williams arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit. Hopefully it's his and registered and he just didn't have his papers. Otherwise, one of the dumbest moves I can remember

What is BOL? Our board at 24/7 is pretty solid I find...

Anyway...Shea has been down a path...followed his brother around as he took jobs and such....y'all won't miss Barnett at all. Seems like the kid has no chest...he can see where it's going. I watched him and frankly, he is not that good.

BOL is Bama OnLine, the 247 site. There are better options IMO for Alabama related news. The thing about Barnett, is that we all knew he was going to transfer at about halftime of the USC game. His dad had been heard saying that if he wasn't the starter after the spring game that they'd be gone. The timing of it is the shitty thing. He's currently behind a true freshman that takes off running a good bit, and we have at least 7 SEC games left to play. It's not a stretch to think that we may need someone other than Hurts either because of injury or ineffectiveness. And I think we could win with Barnett. He is a much better thrower than Hurts right now. Even if he wanted to transfer, he could use this season as an audition for any future teams. Now I guess he'll try to go JUCO and graduate, but he'll still miss the first 4 weeks of next year. What happens if he doesn't start then? Now we all know he is a quitter. Not exactly what you want to see out of your QB. In the long run, we're probably better off. Have a couple of blue chip QBs in the class of 2017, plus our starter is a TF. We should be fine moving forward. But it could cost us this season

Thoughts on Syracuse/ND:

I agree with you, ND just doesn't have the players on the defensive side of the football. I think Van Gorder was teaching read and react techniques and obviously didn't work. Not sure a new coordinator is going to fare much better with the personnel.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/9/28/13092500/syracuse-dino-babers-quiet-on-eric-dungey-injury-notre-dame

I agree with this. I kind of see Butch Jones and Les Miles as being similar. Despite it's historical success, Tennessee is a difficult school to be the head coach and to recruit to because there isn't a whole lot of elite talent in state. And the second largest metro area (Memphis) is basically on the opposite end of the state and closer geographically to Ole Miss, Miss St and Alabama. Based on my experience having family in Memphis, I'd say it's more of an Alabama town, then Ole Miss with UT last of those three. Maybe I'm wrong there. And the end of the Fulmer era, Dooley, and Kiffin basically gutted the program. So from a program building standpoint, I don't how you can say that Butch hasn't done a good job. But that's only going to get you so far. At some point you can't say that "next year is our year." I still think they have problems on the OL. And Dobbs is very limited as a passer, but what he did last week was impressive and maybe he's turned a corner. Butch, like Miles, has made some real bone-headed decisions in games, but Miles early on got away with it because he had superior talent. I think we'll learn a lot about the team and Jones in the next 2 weeks. Obviously beating Florida was a huge thing. Now let's see if he can get his team up to play two road games against quality opponents. They'll be up for the Alabama game no doubt, just like they were for Florida.

the Miles Jones comparison is exactly what i thought 1st....only like you said....easier to drive the Louisiana Lambourghini.

As far as Memphis...Ive always considered it an Ole Miss town. I mean shit, that is where I stay when I go there for OM games

Tim Williams arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit. Hopefully it's his and registered and he just didn't have his papers. Otherwise, one of the dumbest moves I can remember

man! the turncoats sure have police problems it seems lol

man! the turncoats sure have police problems it seems lol

Can't coach the Louisiana out of them it seems. The bond was set at $300 and it is a misdemeanor. Probably carrying it concealed and didn't pay for the permit. The good news is, no drugs found, no girls beat up, and the gun is legally his. I would guess he'll be out for UK at most, but maybe not even that

i kinda separate recruiting and in-game, though i completely agree you have to be great at both to win consistently these days.

No Chubb hurts, but at the same time RB is a plug-n-play position so i'm not disinterested in hearing that he's likely not available this weekend. I do not like that the 3.5s are now 3 for me though...

I agree with you, ND just doesn't have the players on the defensive side of the football. I think Van Gorder was teaching read and react techniques and obviously didn't work. Not sure a new coordinator is going to fare much better with the personnel.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/9/28/13092500/syracuse-dino-babers-quiet-on-eric-dungey-injury-notre-dame

Thanks for the link. There is too much uncertainty for me at this point - how does ND respond will Dungey play, how will potential rain impact the game. I bet half my original O70.5 on U74.5. Come on 45-28

anyone seen the Jalen Tabor interview about Steve Smith?

We may have our first openly Yag NFL player

I bet on SEC football, I seriously don't know what you are talking about in that post...is Steve Smith Yag?

Kj you got to chill bro....I posted it in the SEC thread because he went to FLA....I wasn't going to start a thread about it. I'm sure GPS is ok with it....we chat a bunch in here...

It is a funny video. That is it.

I've seen the Jalen Ramsey video, he went to FSU homey...haven't seen the Jalen Tabor video

nikkaplz

And GL this week GPS, I read your thoughts every week without much comment

Hope that's not Yag, sorry for derailment

the Miles Jones comparison is exactly what i thought 1st....only like you said....easier to drive the Louisiana Lambourghini.

As far as Memphis...Ive always considered it an Ole Miss town. I mean shit, that is where I stay when I go there for OM games

As the saying goes, "Memphis is the biggest city in Mississippi."

Back