hopin for 1-2 here..
Kent State ML +800
FIU ML +700
North Texas ML +550

GL:cheers:

<!-- / message -->

Last edited:
week 4 recap:

strong start then the wheels fell off, but still would have turned a profit if it weren't for the sjsu debacle that you're all aware of...good news is the score was so deceiving, that maybe they'll stay under the radar...

things i did right:

louisville, colorado, baylor, ball state, toledo

things i did wrong:

kent state (again for the third time---awful pick as they got dominated for 600+ yards by one of the worst teams in the country; i was wrong about their defense---it's definitely not underrated), tennessee (total domination, think they were inside the florida 5 yard line early twice with no points...bad coaching, bad clutch decision making on the field, no special teams, overrated qb, no heart...not again will i bet this team), iowa (even though it cashed because of a bs half point, it was the wrong play, qbs are awful, defense not impressive, greene very tough but gets little help...prob won't be betting on this team again)

also:

auburn fucked me
missed toledo ml by the hair on my balls
surprise! i STILL suck at betting favs (unc, fsu)
harbaugh cost me a 6 unit swing to please his boosters

an awful week; and i'm bitter....finally got it together in the nfl this week, and it's a good thing too, because i obviously didn't anticipate dropping 5 units a week in ncaaf. pickin myself up off the mat...

locked in..

friday ....

Louisville -3

saturday....

***BIG PLAY - UCLA +7***

***BIG PLAY - TCU +17.5***

Ole Miss +23

Purdue +1.5

Minnesota +17.5

Illinois +14

NM State +3.5

Memphis -1

Strangest looking card i have seen in awhile. A lot of under the radar games.

Tend to lean ville as well.

i know porterie is a goner but why nmsu ? no worries aobut physical domination at los ?

tcu is a sharp play i think. Glad you are going to win with ole miss ... i cant do it anymore. think purdue wins ..

well answer me the nmsu question , i guess i lean your way on a lot of games save marshall

vk, what makes me think that new mexico can win a shoot out on the road in a rivalry game like this? huge momentum coming off the come from behind win (how was i not on the other side of your alma mater laying a td is beyond me) for new mexico state, and the matchup probs new mexico will have are a lot of the same they faced in last week's beatdown.

secondary is awful. 14 of 15 fds converted; 69% of passes completed at 12 yards per pass; 469 yards and 6 touchdowns. holbrook is foaming at the mouth at this blueprint...what an amazing thing to do for an already very good qb's confidence

nmst won't be able to run the ball and won't have to...their defense sucks, but you can't run the ball on the fronts that will be there because gruner sucks so bad. porterie wasn't that great, and from the half or so that we have on gruner he is a lot worse...that takes away a lot of the passing game, which will mean it will be tough keeping up with nmst imo...usually don't like to back a team with the disadvantages in the trenches, but this is a rare example of where the matchups hide this a lot. they spread the field out, and gruner is not effective at all, so the lines play much less of a role. nmst can and will score...this is the biggest game in years against a team that has owned them...and they think they can win. confidence is a big factor, and they will be confident and fired up because they played em close last year and got em at home now. plus, this is a huge game in their quest for a bowl. if they win this game, i think they have a real shot. holbrook and a couple of the receivers are seniors, and new mexico has won five straight years against them. i think this emotion will help the bad defense out enough to win the game. last year nmst played nevada and fresno, teams that are tougher, better, and more physical than this year's new mexico team very tough at home, and is a team that always brings it at home. this is one of the very few games that i have the mindset that the other team can run the ball a lot more effectively and still lose.

Agree with your thoughts on NM State. I have no idea what has gone wrong with the New Mexico secondary as they came into the season with #1 unit in the MWC. I won't be playing the game, but I do think you're on the right side. I'll be hoping to play the over.

Also agree 100% with the TCU play. GL this week Joe.

vk, what makes me think that new mexico can win a shoot out on the road in a rivalry game like this? huge momentum coming off the come from behind win (how was i not on the other side of your alma mater laying a td is beyond me) for new mexico state, and the matchup probs new mexico will have are a lot of the same they faced in last week's beatdown.

secondary is awful. 14 of 15 fds converted; 69% of passes completed at 12 yards per pass; 469 yards and 6 touchdowns. holbrook is foaming at the mouth at this blueprint...what an amazing thing to do for an already very good qb's confidence

nmst won't be able to run the ball and won't have to...their defense sucks, but you can't run the ball on the fronts that will be there because gruner sucks so bad. porterie wasn't that great, and from the half or so that we have on gruner he is a lot worse...that takes away a lot of the passing game, which will mean it will be tough keeping up with nmst imo...usually don't like to back a team with the disadvantages in the trenches, but this is a rare example of where the matchups hide this a lot. they spread the field out, and gruner is not effective at all, so the lines play much less of a role. nmst can and will score...this is the biggest game in years against a team that has owned them...and they think they can win. confidence is a big factor, and they will be confident and fired up because they played em close last year and got em at home now. plus, this is a huge game in their quest for a bowl. if they win this game, i think they have a real shot. holbrook and a couple of the receivers are seniors, and new mexico has won five straight years against them. i think this emotion will help the bad defense out enough to win the game. last year nmst played nevada and fresno, teams that are tougher, better, and more physical than this year's new mexico team very tough at home, and is a team that always brings it at home. this is one of the very few games that i have the mindset that the other team can run the ball a lot more effectively and still lose.

well thought out as usual. thanks for the response.

thanks jpicks and ramble...

gmo, i'll probably have the ucla thoughts up tomorrow night. in short, ucla is going to be all about matchups this year, and this week they match up against a "smashmouth" team that won't be able to hit them in the mouth. ucla can take their agressions out on this overrated fresno team, and i think the passing offense is going to look much better now with some time under its belt against this weak pass d. tennessee was -7 at ucla...do you think fresno is as good as tennessee? i don't. i'm very confident that ucla wins straight up here...no way this line should be 7

thanks jpicks and ramble...

gmo, i'll probably have the ucla thoughts up tomorrow night. in short, ucla is going to be all about matchups this year, and this week they match up against a "smashmouth" team that won't be able to hit them in the mouth. ucla can take their agressions out on this overrated fresno team, and i think the passing offense is going to look much better now with some time under its belt against this weak pass d. tennessee was -7 at ucla...do you think fresno is as good as tennessee? i don't. i'm very confident that ucla wins straight up here...no way this line should be 7

thanks for the answer and I will wait for your thoughts...Actually in this case I would lean to ucla but what I was wondering is that I couldnt trust this team for a big play and about tennesse I really think they are very overrated ... I will take a deeper look ...

Interested in UCLA and TCU thougths. Lean Bruins and Sooners.

The UCLA game is a nice situational matchup. Fresno is coming off two emotional games and has traveled across the country twice this year already. They now will be going against a hungry Bruin team that has been blown out two weeks in a row and it is hard to see UCLA getting blown out again. And in tight games UCLA seems to be able to pull it out. I don't know that Fresno is viewing this like they did when they played Wisky, as BCS buster considering UCLA's record and Fresno's loss.

Why I liked Arizona last week is because their passing attack is very similar to BYU's. You are right Pat Hill wants to be smashmouth and that is not the same matchup.

Honestly, I might take Fresno over Tennessee. UT is what they have shown to be thus far, and that is a bad football team.

The OU - TCU matchup people either are gonna say TCU is tooo good of a football team to be laying that number, or OU is sooo good it doesn't matter.

I like this TCU team, but they are a non BCS school, one that can compete and beat most BCS schools but can't compete with the upper echelon BCS teams that have better athletes and are solid in every facet and can beat you in every way. I.e. USC and OKlahoma.

Last year vs. Texas I recall TCU played very very close first half, and then got blown out in the second vs. an average Texas team. You could tell they just got overwhelmed by better athletes. This TCU team is better than that TCU team but this OU greater than that Texas team.

TCU has played 4 games. Last week vs. SMU means crap because SMU is crap. Dominated Stanford rush yards allowed vs. rush yards. Same with New Mexico.

Oklahoma is a completey different challenge. TCU might be able to stop the run but that passing attack is completely different and TCU has only faced one dimensional teams thus far. Oklahoma I could argue has the best running game in the country AND the best pasing game in the country.

OU will get theirs. Can TCU get their?? Personally I would take the Cincinnati offense over TCU but I'm sure some disagree.

TCU is run the ball stop the run. Oklahoma also might have the best Dline in country. I think OU will make TCU one dimensional and get out to a big lead. TCU can pass, yes, but that is a big disadvatange at tht point.

---I regard this TCU team highly and same with OU and 17 is alot but when you factor in Oklahoma coming off of a bye with full focus on a TCU team that upset them in the past, combined with the advantages OU will overwhelm them with mentioned above I think it's enough to lay the 17.

o-state, i think oklahoma is THE best, most talented team in the country, and unlike others, i don't think it's close. however, they dick around with opponents. tcu is all business, well-coached, well-disciplined, and completely under the radar...they've faced some pretty decent offenses on the road that i wouldn't necessarily call one dimensional and completely shut them down. they haven't trailed. they held the same new mexico team that rushed for 4.8 ypc vs zona to 1.8 ypc and 7 pass completions in a conference opener on the road...that's amazing to me. they made june jones look like dave wannstedt. stanford 2 ypc and under 200 yards of offense. those offenses aren't necessarily balanced (i see your point), but they showed no weakness to either, and both are very different. it's not the quality of opponents, but it's how they've dominated the opponents of different variety, on the road as well. oklahoma starts slow and gets behind they'll have a much tougher time just dickin around and coming back against this team than almost any other team in the country imo. i don't get the revenge from 2005 angle. why would these players care when the vast majority had nothing to do with it?...are the coaches aware and cautious of it? yes. coaches are also aware of the same letdown, lookahead, sandwich spots that we are, but it doesn't matter how much they drill it into their kids' heads...they're kids. there isn't any kind of lookahead, which is good for the sooners, but i'm not convinced the bye is going to help them that much...may help them have a slow start. do they lose? no...i don't think they lose, but i didn't think they'd lose last year to col, tex tech, or wvu either. i know they're a better team, and am not trying to discount them at all, but i am confident tcu would kick the shit out of cinci or washington. no way oklahoma hangs 50, or even 40 for that matter on this defense imo. and i find it very hard for tcu's talent on offense to not at least get them to 20. i think tcu is just as good or better than a lot of the second tier teams that are behind the top 7 or 8 in the country. what do they have to do to earn respect? 31-24 game here i believe, and i believe it's gonna take the full 60 mins. thanks for the input...i'm sure we can have more banter when i get my matchup thoughts down. always appreciate your insight....do you agree with minn??

I am not one who believes Oklahoma dicks around with opponents, from what I've noticed they run up the score on them and try to embarrass them. I don't know about revenge but the point being they have a bye week which usually helps but I see your point not every team is like USC and UF after a bye but usually the extra preparation helps more so than hurts if you have tough practice. TCU is a very good team that Oklahoma knows they have to prepare for like hell and Stoops will drive the point home that this team presents a threat as they have shown in the past of beating us.

So I FULLY expect Oklahoma's attention and to think OU will dick around TCU is flat out misguided IMO.

But the 17 points is a pretty sharp line IMO. It is a Talk Me Off, a lean I have but nothing likely to play except in perhaps a throwaway parlay.

--I'm not touching either side of TOSU-Minney. About the same feel I had for Troy which is I wouldn't be surprised by a dominate OSU win or a tight game. I do think Pryor starting helps so much words cannot speak. The kid can pass very well which was my biggest concern, this kid is a difference maker and like Troy is a gamer. I like the changes on Oline with Brewster at Center and Cordle at guard. Beanie is back. The defense is a big problem and will remain one throughout the season and where I think Minney could run on us a bit perhaps but not like Wisky and PSU will.

But this game is like OSU vs. Bowling Green or OSU vs. Northern Illinois becuase the NIU Minney stats were identical and same for BGSU except for 5 TO's for Falcons.

Honestly if I had to take a side it would be OSU. They should take it to another level for beginning of a new season in conference much like last year vs. Nwestern and Minney in my mind might be perhaps a bit overrated after a dominate win over FAU. But, believe me, I think this OSU team is going to incure a couple more losses this year most specifically to Wisky at Camp Randall next week. I'll be on Wisky. And then PSU is very likely as are a couple others. Defense has lost physicality even with the same personal.

I'm also against you on Purdue and Illinois. I had Purdue rated as a bottom dweller in the Big Ten before the season and have not changed that. The Oregon game says more about Oregon this year than Purdue IMO and the CMU game says Purdue is the same. The only thing I might be underrating Purdue in is the new Oline coach head coach in waiting who was the Oline coach in the Brees era that all 5 lineman went to the NFL. ND ?s about just how good they are absolutely. Tough spot for them last week. Home field advantage big for ND, secondary really good will match up with Boilers and I think they can run on that Boiler D.

Illinois is down this year and that Penn State train is rolling. IMO best o-line in country with LSU, Oklahoma. What I'm doing this week is going with the great teams and against the sucky teams. I'll always have a chance of covering ever one lol. Lot of chalk.

well i'm not really sure how misguided i am because they were a far better team than the 3 teams they lost to last year...21 pt favs to colorado if i remember correctly which is the game in particular that comes to mind...they started very slow and couldnt recover in time...that is dicking around with an opponent that is inferior imo. i know there was some different circumstances in the other two, but col is similar in a lot of ways to tcu...and when they start fast to a greatly inferior opponent like cinci or wash, both of which i would have been on the oklahoma side if i had any faith in my ability to pick favs ats, thats when they roll...this is different in my mind. i think they embarass teams that they can embarass...but i really don't think tcu is inferior to the extent that they can embarass them...im very confident that tcu doesnt just get blown out of the water from the get go...theyre too good. oklahoma may very well cover but it will be nothing like the cinci or wash games if they do imo.

thats probably where we differ in purdue as i saw that purdue/oregon game a lot differently...oregon is tough imo; i think if it werent for the qb shuffle they would have beaten boise soundly. and im not too convinced nd can run on anyone...home crowd def gonna be a factor, but i do think purdue is the better team by more than 4 pts on a neutral. cmu game...how could they be up for that game in the situation they were in when they beat em twice last year...which always benefits the dog.

dont think ill is quite as down as ppl think, but we'll sure as hell find out here. psu has been the most impressive team vs my expectations thus far, but dont think theyre ready to be favored by 2 tds in conf unless it's vs bottom tier, and ill def not bottom tier in my mind...

my thinkin with the bucks is yet another spread offense and the freak's first conference start might be a little less impressive...thinkin a 10 pt game...

i'll have more on these later..but appreciate the banter...

BOL this week joe - great thoughts as usual. Any totals for you this week?

Agree with Illinois as I think they keep that close. NMSU looks good too as long as they don't let Ferguson go too wild.

Played UCLA , NMST and Memphis as well . Pretty strong on the Ville as well. Only one I look against on is Purdue like ND here...GL

nut, why ND

I think ND has show improvement in every game and thats always key for me in football . I thought what cost them the Michigan State game was sloppiness and I had a big play on Mich State just thinking it was a tough spot for ND .

1st H - Spartans had 10 pts off an INT and good starting field postion. Claussen threw a costly INT as they were on the State 24 yd line in the 1st Q . Could have tied the game or taken the lead. Then in the 2nd Q ND also had good starting field position but unlike Mich State they missed a long FG a few yards deeper . This was the 2nd miss opportunity to tie the game and really they probably should have lead by then if for better execution. Then another niscue when Claussen throws a pick deep in Spartan territory which leads to there only TD a whole 22 yd drive . So really felt that HD handed them the 1st H lead . Which not to excuse them but you hope playing at home limits these miscues and maybe turns the tide .

2nd H- Still just 10-0 and after a 3 and out ND again gets the ball . They again drive down the field deep into State territory . This time they fumble inside the 15 yd line so thats the 4th huge miscue already in a 10-0 game . Now Mich state probably with momentum in there corner drives the field but has to settle for a FG attempt . They led 13-0 . Now ND gets the ball back and again drives the field this time they finally get a TD on 8 plays for 75 yds. Only 13-7 afte all the ND fuckups !. So 13-7 and a minor ND fuck up as they allow State to take the ball to the 40 yd line and good field position . Which State does take it to the 1 yd line but on 3rd down RInger gets hit for a 5 yd loss and again 3 points up coming now 16-7. Now 16-7 and ND gets the ball again and again drives the ball to the State 23 and has to settle for a FG attempt but again missed the FG . Still 16-7 6 minutes to play and ND allows a TD not suprising after all the fuckups they had .

So a game alot closer then scores indicates and Mich State is no worse possible better then Purdue IMO . If they can cut out the mistakes thanks to the home field atmosphere I see no reason why they cant win though want to look at there kicker closer .

Purdue didnt impress me in either home game . They blew a big lead vs Oregon at home and then they only gain 344 yds at home vs a CMU team whose defense is soft and was playing its 3rd straight road game Georgia , Ohio U and Purdue . They needed a last sec TD to win SU at home . Sheets had a 46yder to win but all day he had 17c 91 yds so he was just 16 c for 45yds before that . Purdue also had a pick 6 in the game . Also CMU missed a FG from the 20 (37yder) at the end of the 1st Q and missed a longer where near the end of the 3rd Q. They even had a TOD in the 4th Q at the Purdue 40 as well ....

Purdue 1st true road game and vs Orgeon the had a 20-3 lead in the 2nd Q and never scored again in regulation . They were again outgained by theer opponent 500 to 400 yds. To which they allowed 300 yds rushing at home and okays its double OT but still .

One concern is they face Penn State and Ohio State after this so is the most winnable game but dont see Purdue playing good ball . After that 20-3 lead vs Oregon they havent done anything to impress me . I dont agree Purdue was flat because it beat CMU last year as they were a Big Ten team who was given a headache by some mid major. They may have been flat because of the Pregon loss.

Just think @ home ND find a way to win ....

Sorry for stealing the thread Joe...:shake:

nut, why ND

From Steele's notes as well -

As mentioned, the timing of TO’s is huge and in Notre Dame’s case, so were a couple of key missed FG’s. The Irish took their 3rd drive to the MSU24 and appeared poised to take the lead but were int’d in the EZ for a TB (4:42 1Q). The Irish missed a FG with 9:34 left 2Q and then with 7:10 left in the half were int’d at their own 22 setting up the Spartans for a short TD and a 10-0 lead at the half despite a 149-111 Irish yd edge. The Irish opened the 3Q with 51/7pl drive but fumbled at the MSU 14. It was 13-7 in the 4Q when the Spartans got a FG with 9:10 left. ND went 57/10pl. They settled for a 41 yd FG which would have put it under one score but missed it and the Spartans not only ran out the clock, but thanks to Ringer’s 63 yd run went 77/7pl for a TD with 2:16 left in a game that was closer than the final score...

great stuff nut, and i agree with a lot of what you said, especially nd improving. i see the purdue games a little differently, but understand your points. hearing and reading from a lot of cappers i respect, i have purdue rated higher than most, and i had purdue -3 to -3.5 in this game. this game will tell us a lot about these two teams i think. until nd beats a decent team and undoubtedly deserves to win the game, i'm not sure if i can back them as favs. this may be the week...we'll see.

nut, why you think the flip of the 1 on that memphis game...does that concern you at all? always makes me a little nervous when the books can't decide who should be favored...

dmoney, i am going to be with you on the nm state over, and i will probably play the temple under. lookin over the totals right now...glad to see we're on the same page with a few of those sides

was lookin into some big moneylines to add hoping that i could get a little luck with one...fiu, north texas, ull, kent, and cuse...just don't think the opposing side should be laying that many and i could go 1-4 and make a good buck. i go through this with myself a lot during the middle of the season, but may be more inclined since i had planned to do this with bengals and phins on sunday and would have split and had a chance for both, which would have been 11 units...so i may or may not add any of these, but ....

what is north texas doing at +550???? this line is 17.5 and it's offered at +550 at the greek, when +550 is a number you should get in the 12-13 pt range...don't know what that's about, but apparently they're getting hammered on that...

Last edited:
matter of fact, there's a few big ones that are low relative to their number. i mean, i got +1200 on a 20 pt dog earlier in the year...haven't been paying attention much, but what gives with these weak numbers?

adding:

Michigan +6/ML +200

Nevada +4/ML +155

UCLA ML +230

TCU ML +700

Ill ML +550

NM State ML +140

W Mich/Temple UNDER 48

NM/NM State OVER 52.5

cuse OUT
marshall OUT
emu OUT
mich added to card 9/24
clemson OUT
bg OUT
col
w michigan
sjsu OUT
nevada added to card 9/24

matter of fact, there's a few big ones that are low relative to their number. i mean, i got +1200 on a 20 pt dog earlier in the year...haven't been paying attention much, but what gives with these weak numbers?

There is a lot of that this week with these bad teams giving three scores.

I know that SMU was +750 at 19 yesterday while Navy +900 at 16. I know the reasoning, but it is still a little extreme.

I may be on the Kent and FIU MLs as well. :cheers:

nut, why you think the flip of the 1 on that memphis game...does that concern you at all? always makes me a little nervous when the books can't decide who should be favored...

I hadnt played it yet because I hate laying -1 always take the ML instead but my crap book waits a few days to post MLs . Cant say I like when favs flip either but am not concerned (yet at least)

I am fine with it I expected a heavier Ark St flow here . Really dont have much to say just like the Memphis spot after losing two close games to Ark State past few season especially blowing a 31-6 half lead last year on the road . I just like fading teams such as Ark State when they are basically expected to win on the road . As in catching less then 3 pts , PK or small favs vs teams from major conferences ...

As for Purdue @ ND that is actually the great mystery IMO. SHould Purdue be the small fav here and thats the last thing I am working on figuring out ....Plus as I said real big for them with there next 2 games being very hard to win for them . So while I like ND its still a matter of finding out who should be favored but do think with the lines assigned to Purdue at home its gonna be hard for me to nail down. I just havent liked there play in general and how they closed the last 2 weeks .

Add anything if I can Joe ...BOL:shake::cheers:

need a nevada push .. broadway joe analysis please.

Nevada +4

let me start with some of my opinions on this unlv team. this is the first wager that i will have made this season involving this team. obviously the very impressive win against arizona state no matter where you have arizona state ranked vs the other teams (i thought they were HIGHLY overrated coming into the season). that game was also the worst possible spot for asu, as they had ga on deck and had just beat a conf team soundly that they matched up great against. questions coming into this game for asu were the secondary and the offensive line, both of which were answered in this game as unlv was able to take advantage of both. the asu pass rush was hindered by a mobile qb, and secondary exploited at certain times when they needed it. the asu offensive line was, well, the asu offensive line. extremely impressive win that i certainly wasn't expecting, but timing was part of it. extremely even game that came down to asu being awful in the category of red zone offense, and a bad throw by carpenter. they definitely weren't ready to play that game, and they're not nearly as good as they were advertised to be, as shown by the ass whooping by ga that was a lot more lopsided than the game seemed. still a great win, and i'm taking nothing away from this team because i do like them...just pointing out a few things.

unlv has been impressive, but aside from that game, they beat utah state (so what), was completely dominated by a very good utah team, and had some trouble putting iowa state away in a game they more or less dominated. to me, we still don't really have a good grasp of what this can and cannot do. what i like about this team: a very efficient, balanced, and talented offense. clayton is an emerging star, summers is a beast, and they have 3 more than capable wideouts. they haven't made many mistakes this year. the matt murphy led line has been outperforming. the offense is fine.

and yet this very good offense will be very refreshing to nevada in terms of what they've been used to. they've faced arguably the two most potent offenses in america in back to back weeks. they hung very tough in a relative sense vs texas tech as i have mentioned before...i was actually impressed with their effort considering their opponent. they were actually able to outgain texas tech, which is very hard to do, and they won t.o.p. and rushing battle (obviously less impressive vs a team like texas tech, but still worth noting considering the conferences and teams). they were in the game until the very end...and kaepernick showed how good he is hanging 350+ yards on em. now obviously the missouri game was a different story and they got their asses kicked, but part of that snowball was two very big plays very early in the game that changed the course of the game for nevada and kept them from playing the way they need to play because of their running offense. a 59 yard td run, nevada punted at midfield, then a 80 yard td pass were the first two scores of the game and put nevada in a 14-0 hole, then they were in catch up mode, and that's not a good mode to be in vs nevada. there were very distinct differences in that game. nevada puts pressure on the qb in order to hide their secondary weaknesses. they were not able to do that at all vs missouri, and chase daniels had all day to throw. i am confident that they will get a lot more pressure on clayton with the line he has in front of him. this will stop unlv from passing all over them, although they should have decent success. i don't think they'll be able to run as effectively as last year, because i believe nevada's front 7 is improved.

that matchup probs unlv face is on the other side of the ball. iowa state and utah were both able to pound the rock with good olines. nevada has a good oline as well, and i expect their ypc to be right around the middle of these two squads at about 5 or so. i've mentioned before how good i think kaepernick is, and i think he controls this game along with taua and fragger. unlike last year, when they won, they should have a distinct advantage in rushing yards and t.o.p. asu lacks the toughness up front to exploit this unlv defense, but nevada does not. unlv had to replace their two good dends, and beau bells replacement fuimaono went down before the asu game and some other linebackers are banged up. this doesn't help a unlv group that was already bottom tier in stopping the run. nevada has been running all over big 12 schools, and they will have no problems doing so here. the secondary was a bigger question mark coming in for the rebels, particularly at safety, where the safety has to be an important part of defending this type of offense. i think this offense is very underrated just due to the nature of the competition so far. i love kaepernick (if you can't tell), and unlv hasn't really seen a qb that can do as many things well as he does (brian johnson, who dominated them, but even he is not exactly the same type of qb)

in this matchup i'm getting +155 with the better qb, arguably the better team in the trenches, the better defense, and a team that i'm confident will have a significant running game advantage. they beat this team last year without a lot of these advantages, and they're 4-1 ATS L5 against them.

i'll mention the bye, as it usually does help either the inferior or the hungrier team, but i don't hold a lot of weight to it as some others do most of the time. i do think it'll help them get over the mizzou slaughter, which is a good thing. i would expect both teams to be completely focused, so that's not an issue either way. i'm not sure really how much line value we're getting...may be some perception value here, but i think even at the beginning of the year unlv is favored by 2 or so...but oh well.

if this wasn't an instate rivalry on the road (where nevada has struggled a bit), i think nevada might just completely run away with it. i still think they win by a couple of scores here...38-24

i'll try to get to louisville game thoughts and get down some matchup thoughts and opinions of how i believe the ucla and tcu games will play out tomorrow...

-the more smu climbs, the more the weekday game is enticing me. no interest at all on the usc game, but if i had to play it i'd probably consider usc either at half or for the full game...just don't see how oregon state scores

-fiu, north texas, kent will most likely be the moneyline adds i was speaking to earlier; but i'm deciding on whether to assign a .5, .75, or 1 unit value to them...probably throwing money away but i think it's worth some risk because of the teams laying those numbers

-if i try harder, maybe i can have action on all 48 games haha

Good Luck broadwayjoe :cheers:

This below is no mocking question or saying it is a bad play at all. I always wish posters the BEST OF LUCK all the time and never rip on a person. This is just a question below. I like Fresno or no play for me but trying to get a different angle on this game. :shake:

***BIG PLAY - UCLA +7***

Where do see value with UCLA?UCLA has not yet shown they can move the ball and Craft is crap imo.They should have lost to Tenny, BYU destroyed them 59 -0 and Arizona beat them 31 - 10 in UCLA.
I don't see the Bruins offense scoring more then 14 pts.

Thanks joe.

nevada was -6 in the G.O.Y. lines at golden nugget in august.

wow...that's shocking to me. i obviously had not known that; thanks. what a ridiculous line that was though...probably a lot more ridiculous than the line now. i don't know how you don't have the home team favored in this game, especially since it's now or never in a lot of respects for this unlv team. i guess they probably didn't see clayton playing as well as he has, but it wasn't a situation to me where i thought the line was way off

pucks, don't mean to put you off, but i gotta get to bed right now...i'll try to get some more detailed stuff down tomorrow on ucla, which i can see why that would look like a weird play...

i think they're one of those teams that matchups mean everything. i don't think the fresno offense matches up well at all on the road against ucla's defense, and i KNOW there are opportunities to be taken advantage of in fresno's defense. it probably won't be a work of art, but ucla will be able to score enough to win the game here. it's not exactly the same, but i see fresno as kind of a watered down tenn team....i was on ucla then too for a big play, and i was on byu when they played ucla...totally different matchups. the zona blowout did surprise me, but that dodged a lot of trends that ucla has following a loss at home, which should even out here. until this fresno team shows me something otherwise (and i think we can officially discount the rutgers win now), they are on my fade list, as i think they are overrated in many ways. i should have played wisc, and i was on toledo. i already have two more planned events this season where i will likely be against them. craft isn't that talented, no..but he has good leadership qualities as shown in that tenn game and he's resilient ..two necessary qualities in a qb. all he has to do to win this game is manage the offense and not make mistakes...he'll get some opportunities downfield as well. the offense will only get better, and they benefit greatly when they don't have to play a catch up type game.

pucks, don't mean to put you off, but i gotta get to bed right now...i'll try to get some more detailed stuff down tomorrow on ucla, which i can see why that would look like a weird play...

i think they're one of those teams that matchups mean everything. i don't think the fresno offense matches up well at all on the road against ucla's defense, and i KNOW there are opportunities to be taken advantage of in fresno's defense. it probably won't be a work of art, but ucla will be able to score enough to win the game here. it's not exactly the same, but i see fresno as kind of a watered down tenn team....i was on ucla then too for a big play, and i was on byu when they played ucla...totally different matchups. the zona blowout did surprise me, but that dodged a lot of trends that ucla has following a loss at home, which should even out here. until this fresno team shows me something otherwise (and i think we can officially discount the rutgers win now), they are on my fade list, as i think they are overrated in many ways. i should have played wisc, and i was on toledo. i already have two more planned events this season where i will likely be against them. craft isn't that talented, no..but he has good leadership qualities as shown in that tenn game and he's resilient ..two necessary qualities in a qb. all he has to do to win this game is manage the offense and not make mistakes...he'll get some opportunities downfield as well. the offense will only get better, and they benefit greatly when they don't have to play a catch up type game.

No need to talk about this more. I just wanted your thoughts on it.

I hope it wins for you. :shake:

adding:

USC/Oregon State UNDER --- personally think this is a blowout and would lean usc here...how's oregon state going to score?....and if they have any chance at all, they're going to have to keep usc from walking into the endzone. just hope it's not 55-10

i should do this on a smaller scale with a half unit or so, but to hell with it...let's gamble:

Kent State ML +800
FIU ML +700
North Texas ML +550

Nice work on the big ml bets ... no one can say that you need to :balls: after making those wagers.

might throw a tad on the kent ml as well.

Great thoughts on that UNLV/Nevada game. I mean really great thougths. thanks.

GL this week Broadway.

well i'm happy it happened, but this leaves a lot of questions for me. despite the thrashing of my bucks, i still though this usc team was overrated, but not nearly to this extent. do we rate oregon st that much higher? i think there has to be something wrong with the way that i had them, although i wouldn't bet them for the next 5 weeks or so...gotta think linesmakers will adjust up to a fg because of this win, and sometimes wrongly so. if we do rate oregon st higher, do we rate penn st higher? same thing there... i just don't really know. realize it's only one game, but this is almost as shocking as stanford because at least they were banged up in the stanford game. i know it was during the week on the road, but still...i'm shocked. and in the fashion that they did it. i looked at that first half boxscore and thought i was on a different planet. pure luck that i hit that under, because i would have never imagined oregon scoring 21 pts in the first half and having 250 yards (or whatever it was, close to that i think). hopefully this trend will continue and a lot of dd dogs will win su this weekend ;)

sides: 5-3 +1.70
totals: 3-0 +3.00
ml dogs: 3-6 +5.55
big plays: 1-1 -0.30
this week: +9.95

well it was a solid week. only one of my losses that i can be bent out of shape about was louisville, and i got a bad number on illinois that caused me to push when most people that took illinois had winning tickets...which would have brought me to 6-3 on my regular sides...so i think i did okay with my work. split the 2 big ones, as i didn't think oklahoma could get to 35 on that defense, but holy shit are they impressive. many of you arguing with me were absolutely right, namely o-state...so thanks for your input...i'm going to have to re-evaluate that. i'm never going to have some crazy good totals clip, so i'm very happy with any positive dough i can take away from totals. ml dogs was the highlight as my stupid decision to add 3 big ones did not backfire, with fiu taking the loot. so a thanks to dmoney for agreement that helped my confidence and take each for a full unit instead of .5 that i was considering. really bailed me out of an otherwise losing ml dog card. more thoughts on each of these on next week's thread in my recap when i start locking in plays....probably tomorrow evening while watching the steelers crush the ravens.

Last edited:
Back