Week 3 (9/13-15) CFB Picks and News Stories

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
12-8, +11.65 units

All plays for $500 unless specified

Plays
Vandy -5' (-110)
Houston -14 (-110)
BYU -6' (-110)
Fresno St +17 (-120)
Michigan St -10 (-105)
Tenn/Florida Under 57 (-110)
TCU -7 (-120)
TTech -28 (-112)
BC +7 (-110)
tOSU -3 (-110)

Last edited:
Bulldogs taking heart after loss
Fresno State regaining some of its swagger.
By Bryant-Jon Anteola / The Fresno Bee
<!--/STORYHEADLINE--><!--STORYBODY-->09/10/07 04:05:55
<!-- START /pubsys/assets/common/related_content.comp -->Related Content
<!-- START /pubsys/assets/common/story_link.comp --> Fresno State opponent tracker <!-- END /pubsys/assets/common/story_link.comp --><!-- no poll to display -->
<!-- no related bug to display --><!-- END /pubsys/assets/common/related_content.comp -->That tough and rugged Fresno State team that wouldn't wilt in the face of adversity for so many years is back.
Right?
So it would seem after the Bulldogs -- a young team filled with so many questions and coming off a 4-8 record -- nearly upset then-No. 23 Texas A&M before losing 47-45 in triple overtime.
"Almost -- not quite," said Fresno State coach Pat Hill, now preparing for No. 19 Oregon on Saturday. "But we're getting there.
"We've lost some close games on the road against very good opponents. Those games are very tough to win on the road. But you've still got to win them."
Fresno State's defense continued to show it is legit, most noticeably its speed in the secondary and at linebacker.
The Bulldogs held the Aggies to 79 passing yards and a mere 127 total yards after halftime.
Fresno State had its troubles against the run, particularly up the middle, as Texas A&M rushed for 318 yards.
But some of those problems are expected to be fixed with the return of defensive tackle Jason Shirley, who completed a two-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.
"I was a little disappointed that I wasn't there to contribute to get the win," said the 6-foot-5, 335-pound Shirley. "Most definitely would have made a difference all around, helping anchoring down the middle.
"I'm just glad it's done with. I'm looking forward to playing Oregon this week. I'm amped up. I'm 100%. I'm ready to get going."
Hill also said he was encouraged by the play of quarterback Tom Brandstater, who completed 21 of 31 passes for 260 yards and three touchdowns and appeared to keep his teammates calm during overtime.
Saturday seemed to be the first time in Brandstater's career that the two-year starter showed he was capable of passing even with teams expecting it.
In all, players and coaches said they expect nothing but improved play from here out.
"One thing I think we definitely take off that game is our confidence level is high," receiver Jason Crawley said. "Playing in front of that many people, in that loud of stadium, we still played our game.
"We definitely established how we want to play Saturday. We can only grow on that. It was a loss, but the fight that we [showed] was tremendous."
No regrets
Hill said there were a few, if any, plays he'd like to have back from Saturday's game.
Hill explained his decision not to go for a 2-point conversion at the end of regulation, instead settling for the extra point and taking his chances in overtime.
"We thought the power-pass play was the right play to start overtime, and it was.
"That was the right play. It was executed great."
That play had Brandstater using a play-action pass to connect with receiver Marlon Moore as he cut across the field.
Moore reeled in a 24-yard catch, but fumbled as he tried to break the goal-line plane for the winning score.
Injury update
Starting running back Lonyae Miller said he expects to be ready against Oregon.
Miller left in the first quarter with a rib injury and never re-entered.
"It's nothing serious," Miller said. "I just went down with a bad little tweak."
The status of fellow running back Ryan Mathews remains unclear.
The true freshman helped ignite the Bulldogs' second-half comeback and finished with a team-high 66 rushing yards and a touchdown. But he went down with a shoulder injury midway through the third quarter and never returned.
Mathews did participate in Sunday's light practice, which didn't include contract drills.
Adam McDowell, the starting right guard, showed up to practice wearing a boot. McDowell had to be helped off midway through the second quarter and never returned. He stood on the sideline with crutches during the second half.

Monday Hub Withdraws Its Name from Consideration
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 09:08:51 AM EDT
</I>

Off With His Head: The Detroit Free Press runs a quick survey on Lloyd Carr's future, with opinions ranging from Drew Sharp calling for blood (voluntary blood), Mitch Albom equates firing Carr with "fans throw[ing] themselves off a bridge" (both are bad ideas, for the record) and Mark Snyder asks, "0-2? What's the big deal?"
Per Sharp, the only one of the three in this case who seems to grip the severity of the implosion without coming off as an apologist:
  • Michigan flunked its character test. Where was the anger after last weekend's national humiliation? Where was the resolve?
    Instead, the Wolverines resembled a team Saturday that already has accepted its fate, surrendering the season after just two weeks with barely a whimper. There was little emotion -- and even less execution on both sides of the ball. The Wolverines looked like a team that already knows its beloved coach isn't coming back after this season. They played like a team still burdened from the immense weight of a historic embarrassment just seven days prior.
    Michigan quit.
    As I watched from Oakland, Calif., where another disappointing team in this state -- the Lions -- will play today, I saw Oregon didn't just beat the Wolverines. It gutted them like a fish. It cut through them, looking for the heart that Michigan vowed would save it after Appalachian State, but all it discovered was an empty shell.
    The Ducks beat a lame duck.
    How obvious can it be to even the most stubborn Blue apologist that Lloyd Carr and his staff have lost this team? He should have offered his resignation to athletic director Bill Martin afterward, accelerating his retirement exit strategy a little earlier than initially orchestrated. As shocking as Appalachian State was to the system, the Wolverines' timid response against the Ducks was perhaps a more damning statement of where the Michigan program sits right now.

- - -
bilde

Wait a minute, two of those guys are Texas fans.
- - -
From the (far, far) outside, that seems self-evident. This is not about just starting 0-2 - this is about a championship-caliber collection of players falling on their face, dominating embarrassing headlines, and looking generally like it could end among the worst teams in school history. When is the last time Michigan finished with a losing record? It looks inevitable now. Carr wanted to ride out on top; instead, he's a dead coach walking.

If anyone needs any more evidence of the historic collapse underway, let it come from The Oregonian’s John Canzano, who was on the field, next to Michigan recruits Edwin Baker, Joevall Hoseay and Antoine Mason as the Ducks whooped and celebrated with Phil Knight and Jonathan Stewart went on about national championships in front of a dwindling, suicidal crowd in the closing minutes:
  • A few feet away, a Michigan chaperone was trying to pry those recruits up the tunnel, out of the stadium and far away from all the Northwest propaganda. But the recruits didn't budge. They just stood, watching Oregon dance and listening to Stewart. And what did they think?
    Said Hoseay: "I want to go to Oregon."
    The other two recruits nodded. Then Mason said he was considering more than stadium size and program history. Baker said he couldn't remember Michigan losing that badly. And then Timothy Hopkins, their high school coach who drove them the 45 miles from suburban Detroit to Ann Arbor for the visit, jotted down his telephone number and handed it to someone in lightning yellow and said, "Call me. I got players."
    [...]
    There was no facet of Oregon's victory more integral to the future of the program than the look on the faces of those three Wolverines recruits as they wondered what it would be like to wear a Ducks uniform. Hoseay even looked down at his necklace and, eek, said, "They didn't even spell my name right."

- - -
But only one voice really matters here, and Bill Martin is granting the athletic director's equivalent of a governor's reprieve:

• Michigan athletic director Bill Martin remains confident in coach Lloyd Carr, despite an 0-2 start.
    "Of course," Martin said. "Look at that man's record. Look at what he's done. You hate to see this happen at this stage of his career for Lloyd. I really feel for him. But it is what it is, and you gotta just get going and do what we can."
    [...]
    "Lloyd is a workaholic," Martin said. "He will be in his office tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock. I know that. "He will make changes. There's no question in my mind he'll make changes. He'll try different things on both sides of the ball. But I think it's a situation where he'll start with the fundamentals of the game: better blocking, better tackling."

- - -
On the "he'll be in at 8 o'clock" thing: Martin was refering to Sunday morning, since the coaching standard for "workaholic" is sleeping in the office a couple nights a week, or at least coming in at five or six. On the "he'll make changes" thing: are you sure about that? Because Michigan fans are not sure about that.
Odds on the next coach: the stock is rising fast on alum Les Miles, who looks pretty attractive all of a sudden. I wonder why? Jacob Hester tells the Free Press Michigan is "the only place [Miles] would go," but not surprisingly, Miles himself doesn't have time for this shit. Call back in January, though?
We find the quarterback guilty of sucking: You know, I'm sensing a theme here re: Alabama's offense:
This is a suspicious chorus. John Parker Wilson was only 50 percent at Vandy Saturday - 14 of 28, 150 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT - and didn't get downfield much with only completion over 20 yards (a 30-yarder to D.J. Hall) and just five over ten yards. But (and big surprise here) from the depths of anonymity,s 'Bama found its annual Running Back of Death: Terry Grant ran for 173 yards on 7.2 per carry and scored twice, in addition to catching one of the few first down passes, and his definite emergence against a defense that is not Western Carolina was the story of the week for the team. Nobody should expect him to hit the same average against Arkansas, but if Grant can help the Tide hold the ball for almost 34 minutes again - the better to keep McFadden and Felix Jones off the field - all Parker Wilson has to do is keep `em honest.
Coming and Going...
Steve Spurrier is Steve Spurrier: the Ball Coach notes Georgia's lost five straight games against the rest of the SEC East, so "It wasn't like they were some big, powerful team."
(He's right: after beating South Carolina early last year, all four of UGA's losses were against East rivals, including Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Saturday's loss makes it a clean sweep). He needed to be exposed to adversity, so maybe Jimmy Clausen's first start was good for him in the long run. Although, even the context of learning experiences, six sacks in "a recreation of the running of the bulls" is kind of a lot of adversity.

551-dogs.standalone.prod_affiliate.8.jpg

Let this be a lesson to you, Moore: never, ever take another risk ever again.
- - -

speaking of learning experiences: after the first overtime at Texas A&M, Fresno State's Marlon Moore will never extend the ball again for an extra yard

I can almost guarantee Decatur Herald & Review editor Mark Tupper turned in a run-of-the-mill roundup of Illinois' 21-0 win over I-AA Western Illinois, left the page details to the not-so-football-saavy folks at the desk and went home. Because no one with a clue could write this headline.
In other Illinois news, the team tried to implement something called "Grange Rock" as the tradition of Chief Illiniwek fades away, with limited success.
Indiana and Western Michigan went so long into the morning, Indy Star subscribers barely knew what happened Sunday morning. Seth Adams had the best game by an Ole Miss quarterback since Eli Manning and BenJarvus Green-Ellis made Saturday by far the best for any Rebel offense in the Orgeron era. And yet...
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><CAPTION align=top>Which one of these games is not like the others?</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$95</TD><TD>Oklahoma-Texas (in Dallas)</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #f1ec6a"><TD>$90</TD><TD>Iowa at Iowa State</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$90</TD><TD>Texas at Texas A&M</TD></TR><TR><TD>$70</TD><TD>UCLA at Southern Cal</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$65</TD><TD>Southern Cal at Nebraska</TD></TR><TR><TD>$63</TD><TD>Ohio State at Penn State</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$62</TD><TD>Southern Cal at Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR><TD>$60</TD><TD>Notre Dame at Michigan</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$60</TD><TD>Wisconsin at Ohio State</TD></TR><TR><TD>$60</TD><TD>Miami at Florida State</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff"><TD>$55</TD><TD>Penn State at Michigan</TD></TR><TR><TD>$52</TD><TD>Army-Navy (in Baltimore)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Highest single game ticket prices, per the Des Moines Register.
- - -

Dilemma at Oklahoma State: Hyped Bobby Reid will remain the starter at quarterback Friday night at Troy, but the hook could be much quicker after Zac Robinson led four touchdown drives over 65 yards when Reid went down against Florida Atlantic.
Speaking of Florida Atlantic: Tim Brewster remembers playing in south Florida with the Denver Broncos, and the first thing he's doing before Minnesota's game at FAU this week is turning up the heat.
In its first two games, Iowa State has lost by double digits to a MAC team and a I-AA team. But its game with Iowa is still one of the most expensive tickets in the country. The last time the AP's top-ranked team visited Nebraska? Way back in 1978, when the Huskers upset number one Oklahoma.
Miami's starting quarterback against Florida International? Don't know yet, and good or bad, it might not mean anything for the rest of the season.
Snapshot_2007_08_28_08_07_39.tiff

The Ward
Injuries and such, et cetera...
- - -

Colorado State has likely lost leading receiver Kory Sperry for the season. The huge (6-6, 260), athletic tight end caught three touchdowns against Colorado and had a couple catches before he tore ligaments in his knee in the first quarter Saturday against Cal. He'll undergo an MRI to confirm the diagnosis today, then apply for a medical redshirt to come back to CSU next year.
It's the attack of the ill-timed sprains at Florida: the Gators could go to Tennessee without weapons-grade speedsters Andre Caldwell (sprained MCL in right knee) and Brandon James (sprained ankle). And Percy Harvin's tendinitis has expanded its conquest of his Achilles tendon to his knee.
But Tennessee has injury problems of its own: cornerback Antonio Gaines "probably won't play" Saturday because of a "significant injury," per Phil Fulmer, though he didn't elaborate on the specifics.
Florida State was already missing Mickey Andrews Saturday with pneumonia, and Antone Smith was knocked cold in the third quarter. He'll be back at practice today but is not cleared for contact. Auburn might have to take a couple redshirts off to compensate for injuries to defensive starters Airon Savage and Tray Blackmon, who didn't play in the loss to South Florida, and to Jonathan Wilhite and Merril Johnson, who left the game and may not play against Mississippi State.

250px-Reveille-TAMU-Mascot.JPG

A&M's dog shockingly reacts like a dog. Watch the tail next time, non-soldier.
- - -

Wisconsin will be without wide receiver Paul Hubbard against The One and Only The Citadel. It was also technically without him against UNLV: Hubbard had an o-fer before he left the game after attempting a block.

prison_bars.jpg

The Rap Sheet
Crimes, misdemeanors and eligibility-crippling issues legal, academic, institutional and otherwise.
- - -

Suspended, for Saturday's game against Fresno State, Texas A&M collie mascot Reveille, who snapped at her cadet handler last week when the handler stepped on her tail. The dog spent a couple days "living a life of luxury" in the veterinary school as part of "standard operating procedure" and should be back for A&M's game with UL-Monroe Saturday.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - The End of Cinderella </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
472772.jpg

Washington QB Jake Locker
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 10, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

From the irrelevancy of the AP Poll, to the ACC's problems, to the death of Cinderella, helped by Washington's Jake Locker, to punter flopping, to LSU's big win, here are the 5 Thoughts on Week 2.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

Five Thoughts: Week 1
But At Least They Noticed the South Florida Win
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]1. It’s a new year, so welcome to my Third Annual Rant Against The AP Poll. The college football world needs to get this into its head; the AP rankings don't matter anymore, and the media has to quit quoting the poll like it has any relevancy whatsoever.

Oh sure, it’s the one poll that spans the longest time and is the best to look at for historical reference, but ever since the AP powers-that-be decided to take their ball from the BCS equation and go home, it has as much to do with the practical world of college football as someone’s poll blog, CFN’s Top 119, or any other ranking exercise. If you’re not in the BCS formula, you’re on the outside looking in, and you're simply ranking teams for giggles.

Referring to the AP Poll is mainly a problem since it takes away from the rankings that actually do matter. Did the coaches in the USA Today Poll stay up past their bedtime to watch South Florida beat Auburn? Apparently not. Did any coach actually watch the Hawaii defense against Louisiana Tech. Of course not. Can they really compare the Texas A&M defense to what South Carolina did? People, this is how your national champion is being determined, and it’s being handled by voters who know ten times less about what happened on Saturday than you do. I’m not joking. If you’re a big enough fan to be reading this right now, you’re far, far more qualified to vote in a national poll than all the coaches who dealt with their game, handled the media after, went to work on the post-game issues, went home, kissed the wife, and then went back to work to do film work on next week's opponent. Lloyd Carr didn't go back to his office to study the nuances of Arizona State's win over Colorado.

But I digress.

Now, the people who run the AP Poll have gotten even sillier by allowing FCS teams to be ranked, which is the equivalent of The Apprentice trying to boost sagging ratings by adding celebrities. Yes, I dorked it last week by saying something about Michigan being great and about to go on a big run, starting with a win over Oregon, and while I may have been wildly, freakishly wrong about that, I do guarantee that unless you’re from Boone, North Carolina, you, if you had to bet the house, kids, and your virtue, wouldn’t pick Appalachian State to beat Cincinnati (if you had seen the Bearcats stomp Oregon State). You wouldn’t pick Appalachian State to beat Florida State, Kansas, Boise State, or a slew of other teams the Mountaineers were ranked ahead of. That ASU got 19 points in the AP Poll makes the rankings pretentious and even less relevant. And more than that, it makes the poll more wrong than ever before.

How many voters saw the Appalachian State win over Lenoir-Rhyne? Uh huh ... so those 19 votes came from voters who could actually compare and contrast how good ASU is this week to, say, Georgia. Right.

Everyone, please. Focus more on the Coaches Poll. Focus more on all the computer polls and how they tick. Focus on the upcoming Harris Poll. Enjoy the AP Poll for pure folly, and then deal with the reality.

Fiesta Bowl This
By Richard Cirminiello
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]
[/FONT]. You Cinderella fans looking for this year’s Boise State might have to resume your search again in 2008. This past weekend was an absolutely dreadful one for those prominent mid-major programs with realistic dreams of a BCS bowl game and a chance to carry the torch the Broncos held in Arizona eight months ago. TCU ran out of gas in Austin. Southern Miss was exposed in Knoxville. Boise State saw its 15-game winning streak slip away in Seattle. And then there’s Hawaii, winners of a game in Ruston, but likely losers in the all-important court of public opinion. The Warriors labored to defeat Louisiana Tech, one of the worst of the nation’s 120 teams, needing a deflected two-point conversion in overtime to preserve a 45-44 win. The fallout will be significant and unkind for a school that’s already fighting an uphill battle in the area of strength of schedule. You mean, the school that nearly dropped one to Louisiana Tech wants to play in an eight-digit bowl game? Hawaii better hope Washington keeps pulling off upsets leading up to their Dec. 1 showdown on Oahu. It’s going to be the Warriors’ best opportunity to impress a dubious public that got increasingly skeptical Saturday night.[/SIZE]Subtraction by Addition[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]

3. No way was this supposed to happen. Not like this, anyway. Four years ago when the ACC decided to expand, the prevailing thought on Tobacco Road was that the SEC had some competition. Finally. A 12 team super conference that included two Florida schools and, arguably, New England’s top athletic program. The talent-rich, fertile Newport Beach/Hampton recruiting areas were going to help the ACC yield top five football programs like Pez dispensers spit out candy. Well, if yesterday was any indication of how far the ACC has come, we won’t be eating Elvis Pez any time soon. Losing to an underrated East Carolina team is one thing (not to mention struggling with UAB, a program beaten by Michigan State 55-12 the week prior), but getting run over, completely throttled, by LSU and Oklahoma is quite another. The aforementioned powers made quick and decisive work of Virginia Tech and Miami (and that’s saying it nicely), respectively, the two programs that had John Swofford and the ACC brass swooning four years ago. Television may not do the discrepancy justice; just ask anyone in Tiger Stadium last night – the ACC doesn’t belong on the same field with the top teams in the nation. Sure, LSU is on a completely different level, but four years ago, the ACC was supposed to be in that class. Unfortunately, being on the elite class wait list doesn’t have the desired effect.

Believe the LSU HypeBy Michael Bradley
4. Believe the Hype: Anybody who watched LSU dismantle Virginia Tech Saturday night had to think that the publicity surrounding the Tigers is justified. It was chic to dismiss LSU as something of an overrated phenomenon, and many believed things would be a little different for Les Miles now that he wasn’t playing with house money – i.e. Nick Saban’s players. But the Tiger defense is overwhelming, and it’s hard to believe anybody on the schedule (including Florida) having enough to keep it off-balance for 60 minutes. As for the questions about Matt Flynn, those seem to be quieted as well. He’s not going to win the Heisman, but he does enough to keep the LSU attack moving forward. Virginia Tech has some serious problems, but not all of them were self-inflicted Saturday night. LSU had a lot to do with that and should make many other teams look bad throughout the ’07 season.

A Bigger Flop Than Evan Almighty
By Matthew Zemek

When certain evils persist in the world, one has to continue to bang the drum until important people take notice.
With that said, then, let's say a little more about Hollywood punters seducing referees and conning the zebras... not just into throwing flags, but into making roughing the kicker interpretations instead of the more benign running-into-the-kicker rulings.
In the South Carolina-Georgia and Notre Dame-Penn State games, Georgia's and Notre Dame's punters engaged in shameful embellishment of non-hits that were supposedly delivered by punt rushers. Both punters kept their kicking legs extended well after booting the ball, and when the opposing players barely touched them, they abruptly "fell" to the ground.
A roughing penalty should be obvious enough that you don't have to wonder about the punter's acting skills. Punters are vulnerable athletes, but it only makes it that much more outrageous when a punter takes advantage of his physical frailty to trick a referee into throwing a 15-yard flag. If referees wanted to get serious on this issue, they would not only refrain from throwing these flags against punt rushers, but they would throw 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct flags against punters who take dives and embellish minimal to nonexistent contact. It's long past time to crack down on this issue. Thankfully, Georgia and Notre Dame lost in spite of the trickery that was (shamefully and successfully) displayed by their

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Who's Hot & Who's Not - Sept. 9 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
472754.jpg

Alabama RB Terry Grant
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 10, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The hot and not aspects of the college football world this week.

[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE]Week 1

Who’s Hot …
[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif]
[/FONT]The Big East (outside of Syracuse)
Big East bashers have to take a rest for at least a little while. Yeah, Syracuse is an ugly 0-2, but the other seven teams are a combined 14-0. But all the wins have come against cupcakes, right? Well, most have, but the league made two huge statements with South Florida's win at Auburn and Cincinnati's thumping of Oregon State.

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford
When you're doing things as well as a Heisman winner and a Heisman runner-up, you're doing something right. Bradford's five touchdown passes against Miami tied the record set by Jason White and Josh Heupel, and now the talk about the big prize has to start focusing around the newest Sooner star. All the nation's passing efficiency leader has done in two games is complete 83% of his passes for 568 yards and eight touchdowns with no interceptions.

Wyoming third down conversion defense

Here's a note for Boise State this week; convert a third down. Virginia and Utah State went 0-for-13 on third down conversions in the first two games of the year.

Ohio State and Penn State defenses
You'll have to forgive a skeptical nation after hearing about the Ohio State and Michigan defenses all of last year, only to see them exposed in the bowls, but so far, two Big Ten teams sit atop the rankings in total defense. Ohio State is No. 1 allowing just 122.5 yards per game, and Penn State is second allowing 129 yards per outing. Penn State has only allowed teams to convert three of 31 third down chances.

Alabama RB Terry Grant
Alabama's running game was stunningly poor last season. Nick Saban has made a point to start running the ball right off the bat, and he's found his workhorse in the small, speedy Terry Grant, who's averaging 7.4 yards per carry with 307 yards and five touchdowns in wins over Western Carolina and Vanderbilt. Up next is Arkansas.

North Texas WR Casey Fitzgerald

A quick note to the Florida Atlantic coaches this week; figure out where No. 87 is. Junior Casey Fitzgerald caught 18 passes for 327 yards and two touchdowns against SMU after making seven grabs for 126 yards and a score against Oklahoma. To put this all in perspective, North Texas threw for 1,380 yards all of last year, finishing 117th in the nation.
Who’s Not …[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif]
[/FONT]ACC
The ACC had three national spotlight games this week; Nebraska at Wake Forest, Miami at Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech at LSU, and lost all three by a combined score of 119 to 37. Throw in an ugly Florida State win over a bad UAB team, North Carolina's loss to East Carolina, and a sluggish performance by Maryland against an awful Florida International squad, this wasn't exactly a stellar week for the league.

Former Texas defensive coordinatorsBased on ugly starts at Syracuse and Iowa State, Mack Brown might not have to worry too much about losing his assistant coaches in the near future. Former Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson has had major problems at Syracuse, going 5-20 in just over two years, with things not appearing to be appreciably better after losing to Washington and Iowa by a combined score of 77-12. Syracuse is 118th in the nation in scoring, 117th in offense, and 91st in total defense. Robinson has been Urban Meyer compared to Gene Chizik, the former Texas defensive coordinator who's Iowa State Cyclones are 0-2 after losing to Kent State and Northern Iowa by a combined score of 46 to 27. Iowa State is 106th in the nation in scoring despite playing two lousy teams.

Notre Dame's running game
Did Jimmy Clausen stash any running back recruits in that limo? Mainly because the offensive line has been abysmal (for the second year in a row) allowing a nation-worst 15 sacks, the Irish running game is last in the nation with -4 yards. Georgia Tech and Penn State might have two of the nation's better defenses, but this is Notre Dame. It should be able to fall forward and gain a yard or two.
"Mid-Major" teamsThe programs that aren't in a conference with an automatic BCS bid despite the term mid-major, but after a rough weekend when the didn't take advantage of their opportunities, the term might fit. BYU lost to UCLA, Boise State lost to Washington, and TCU lost to Texas in the statement games for the non-BCSers. In head-to-head matchups with the automatic BCS conference teams, the mid-majors went 1-25 with the only bright spot an East Carolina win over North Carolina.

SMU's pass defense
Arkansas State QB Corey Leonard has to be licking his chops. SMU's secondary is dead last in America after allowing 473 yards and four touchdowns to Texas Tech's Graham Harrell, and then 601 yards and three touchdowns to North Texas QB Daniel Meager.

Team Grades: Week 2

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>A+:

Cincinnati-The way they dominated Oregon State in every facet of the game gives Cincy an A+. I'm tellin' you guys, Cincinnati is a spectacular football team.

Buffalo-The Bulls dominated Temple in this game. They outgained the Owls 414-141. That's saying something considering how bad both of these teams are. They're about on par and the Bulls dismantled Temple on their homefield. Drew Willy was 20-22!

Oregon-The Ducks found a way to generate 4 turnovers from Michigan as they came into the Big House and stomped on the Maize and Blue. They outgained Michigan by 259 yards. It was all-out domination. You have also got to love the statue-of-liberty play and the fake statue-of-liberty play.

Oklahoma-Wow. Just.......wow. That was an awesome game by the Sooners. It looked like Sam Bradford was playing North Texas again. We all know Miami's offense stinks, but Oklahoma held them to under 200 yards of total offense. Absolutely dominating performance.

LSU-Yet another dominant game from the guys from Baton Rouge. Virginia Tech's defense was supposed to play them close, what happened? All I can say is LSU is scary, scary good.

Kansas-We know they're playing Southeast Louisiana State, but come on. -31 yards rushing for the Lions. That says it all right there. They only had 3 penalties which shows how disciplined they are.

Western Kentucky-How about this stat for you? Western Kentucky had FOUR non-offensive touchdowns. They beat West Virginia Tech 87-0 and had a 49-0 lead after the 1st quarter. Tech only had 12 yards of total offense.

A:

Iowa-It was a great game for the Hawkeyes as they demolished Syracuse. The Orange couldn't move the football at all and Jake Christensen was solid. The offense didn't look too great, but the defense held Syracuse to 103 yards of total offense and only ONE yard during the 1st half! They did turn the ball over 3 times, so that gives them an A.

Purdue-I think the Boilermakers are for real this year. Eastern Illinois is a better team than Indiana State and the defense only kept the Panthers to two FGs. Curtis Painter had a huge day with 348 yards and 6 TDs.

Georgia Tech-You gotta hand it over to Samford, man, their offense was better against Georgia Tech than Notre Dame's (lol). Regardless, the Yellow Jackets were totally dominant in their 69-14 victory. The backups got a lot of reps in this one. They had 389 yards on the ground!

Marshall-Personally, I think Marshall stinks, but they played very well for themselves in this ballgame. I'd give them an A for their overall performance. West Virginia didn't distance themselves until late, but Bernard Morris looked pretty good, for once, and they were winning the battles in the trenches.

Louisiana Tech-Of course, Hawaii is definitely beatable on the road, but LT went tit-for-tat with the Warriors. There was never a moment in this game where Hawaii became dominant and pulled away. Derek Dooley isn't too happy, but the Bulldogs left a nice effort out on the field. They were a failed 2-point conversion in overtime away from winning the game.

A-:

Bowling Green-From watching this game, I thought that the Falcons had another solid performance. After going into the Metrodome and knocking of Minnesota, they were neck-and-neck with a decent Michigan State team. I didn't see two teams stinking it up, I saw two pretty good football teams with MSU pulling away late.

Baylor-Was there something wrong with the ESPN bottomline? I thought I saw it say that North Texas won the game against SMU last night and Baylor had scored like 69 points. Maybe it was just a mirage, but the Bears dominated the Owls 42-17. Blake Szymanski was deserving of an SSO Gameball with his 412 yard, 6 TD performance. From what I read, Baylor's offensive line was awesome.

Oklahoma State-After a disappointing effort against Georgia, the Cowboys were without Bobby Reid for whatever reason. Zac Robinson came in and was very efficient against a solid FAU team. They had a knack for the big play with an INT return for a touchdown from Andre Sexton and 3 offensive plays that were 30+ yard touchdowns.

Rutgers-In a game that wasn't even as close as the score indicated, Ray Rice had a huge day running for 175 yards. Also, Mike Teel was efficient again. The defense forced 3 INTs from Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada.

USF-Coming off of a lackluster game against Elon, the Bulls walked into Jordan Hare Stadium and pulled off an overtime win. You know, I don't really think of this as a big upset because considering how speedy and quick USF is and how average Auburn is going to be this year, it just didn't come off as very surprising. The Bulls had a ton of balance in this game against a very good Auburn defense. The line had trouble blocking and, if you watched the game, I'll bet you noticed the special teams had some issues. Of course, Auburn turning the ball over 5 times might've had something to do with it.

Washington State-The Cougars got lit up on defense, but I think that's also a product of San Diego State probably having the most improved offensive unit in the country. Alex Brink set a school record with his 469 yard day. I like Wazzu this season, they have a good offensive football team.

B+:

Minnesota-Yeah, I know Miami OH took them to the brink, but it was good for the following reasons. Tim Brewster wants to change the Minnesota attitude, correct? Well, this was step one. Whenever it appeared that the other team was coming back and about to win the game, it always seemed that Glen Mason's crew folded and went into the fetal position. This game will go a long way in stamping out part of the previous regime's negative atmosphere. Plus, it was just good to get win #1 considering the way they played last week against Bowling Green. The Golden Gophers just didn't seem to be phased at all by the upset against the Falcons last Saturday, that's why they get a B+.

Miami OH-Yes, I know Raudabaugh threw a horrible INT in overtime and they lost the game, but give Miami OH a bunch of credit. Down 28-12 in the middle of the 4th quarter, they didn't quit and the came storming back. I liked how the Redhawks played in this game, it was pretty much a draw with Minnesota.

Pitt-The Panthers pretty much dominated this game. It was apparent that they let up on Grambling State after the first half as the Panthers only outscored the Tigers 3-0 in the 2nd half. Kevan Smith was decent as was the rushing attack. That defense of their's still needs some work.

Penn State-I don't think that the Nittany Lions played to their potential in this game, but give credit to Notre Dame's D. I didn't really watch the game that much, but when I did, I thought that the Irish defense played pretty well for themselves considering the lack of offensive production.

UAB-The Blazers came to play against FSU. They didn't let the crowd intimidate them at all and they played fine. They didn't look near as bad as they did against Michigan State last week. But let's not forget, it's not like they did this all on their own.....

Fresno State-The Bulldogs didn't look too hot last week against Sacramento State, but it appears that this is still those tough-nosed Pat Hill-coached Bulldogs who come to play whenever a big opponent is on the schedule. Texas A&M didn't look to great, so that's why I give Fresno State a B+. Brandstater was efficient and the pass defense came through whenever McGee wanted to throw.

South Carolina-In a very evenly-contested matchup, the Gamecocks came through on defense. It really was a great game and even though Georgia had 341 yards (not a bad day for Spurrier's defense), they were held to 4 FGs. Jasper Brinkley came through with the final INT to seal the deal, but South Carolina looked pretty good out there.

Colorado State-Hey, give the Rams a lot of credit in this one. They exposed some holes in Cal's defense BIG-TIME. CSU actually outgained California, never a good thing. I thought their defense held up but they had no counter to DeSean Jackson and that was the difference in this game.

Texas-Hey, TCU is no slouch. They eventually wore the Horned Frogs down and they blew it open late in the game. They were getting beat up early on but the depth was the difference. TCU just couldn't move the football against a tough Longhorn defense.

ECU-A last second FG gave the Pirates the victory in this game. Wish I would've seen it, but I forgot about it totally since it was CSTV! Darn. Anyway, James Pinkney was absolutely terrific shredding the North Carolina defense to a tune of 406 yards!.........He's the backup! Probably not anymore though. Looking at the stats, they let T.J. Yates throw all over them but the 2 turnovers was probably what did UNC in.

Washington-They were outgained by Boise State, but they did force 4 turnovers. They took advantage of the home field and played pretty well. Jake Locker was pretty efficient passing and he led the team in rushing.

Cal-I know their defense isn't up to snuff, but Colorado State came to play. I didn't see Cal handing it to them at all. The offense was good as usual and they avoided the trap game with a solid victory.

Nebraska-Pesky Wake Forest played a pretty good game and the Cornhuskers escaped Winston-Salem with a nice victory. Sam Keller was pretty good and I thought the two teams played to a draw. The game-changer was the INT in the redzone by Brett Hodges.

Wake Forest-They played extremely well in a loss. The one problem with Wake Forest is that they're not doing what they did last year in order to win games. The Demon Deacons always won the turnover battle and always did the little things right. If they get careless with the football, those close wins they had last year turn into losses.

Florida International-They only lost by 16 this week! When they went into Happy Valley, the Nittany Lions demolished them 59-0. It was nice to actually see them compete, something they haven't been able to do since the brawl last season.

B:

Georgia-I actually thought Georgia played pretty well. Maybe it was me, but they looked good. South Carolina was a little bit better though and that was the difference. Matt Stafford could've been more accurate, but the Gamecock D was good.

Boston College-The Eagles spoiled Tom O'Brien's return to Chesnut Hill with a decent 37-17 game. Boston College played pretty well as a whole but Matt Ryan needs a better day if he wants to keep up in this Heisman race. NC State turned the ball over 7 times. Not really sure if that's NC State's or Boston College's doing.

Nevada-It was nice to see the Wolf Pack bounce back from a horrid showing in Lincoln last week. They got totally shut down during Week 1 but they exploded for 541 yards of offense! They certainly do have some mental toughness and they were in control for most of the game.

Ball State-There's the Nate Davis we all know and love! The Cardinals busted out their offense against dilapidated Eastern Michigan. Davis had 306 yards and 4 TDs, a nice showing after last week's disappointing game against Miami OH. The run D was stout enough holding Eastern to about 100 yards rushing. They will need to be ready for Navy next week, but it looks like Ball State is back on track.

Alabama-The Crimson Tide smothered Vandy's offense yesterday in a 24-10 victory. Keep in mind, Vanderbilt is a solid team. Nick Saban is off to a 2-0 start and has a major test against Arkansas next week. They played a fine game.

Florida-The Gators had penalties left and right and the pass defense got beat up. Troy is not Texas Tech, but they still hung 31 points on Troy. They need some work before they take on Tennessee next week. Even with this said, Tim Tebow played a nice game and the Gators had 500 yards of total offense.

Troy-You know, hey, the defense got beat up but it was supposed to. I like what I'm seeing from the Trojans so far and it seems like they're the best of the Sun Belt bunch. They've been beaten soundly by Arkansas and Florida, but they haven't been full-scale blowouts which is a positive sign. Oklahoma State, you better watch out next week!

Air Force-These guys ran all over the Utes looking like Fisher DeBerry's teams of old. 334 yards on the ground against a solid Utah team is no joke. Shaun Carney was definitely the player of the game in this one. It seems to me that Air Force has always played Utah pretty close over the last few years. They made some crucial goal line stops against the Utes in this game so kudos to the defense.

West Virginia-Even though they didn't necessarily come to play against Marshall, they dominated the second half and scored 42 of their 48 points in it. Steve Slaton took a while to get his engine running, but they rolled when it was obvious that they had to pick up the slack.

Clemson-The game wasn't as close as the score shows with UL Monroe scoring twice late in the game. Cullen Harper was extremely efficient in this game as the Tigers racked up the yards with a 503 yard day. Surprisingly, they didn't run the ball too much with C.J. Spiller and James Davis. The defense got torched by UL Monroe for 419 yards.

Michigan State-They looked alright out there against the Falcons. Brad Hoyer was efficient through the air and the MSU ground game was the difference. The run defense also didn't let Bowling Green do too much.

UConn-Tyler Lorenzen looked pretty good and the defense didn't let Maine do anything. The Black Bears were held to 2 of 14 on 3rd downs and they were stopped to a 158 yard day of total offense.

Central Michigan-It was nice to see the Chips bounce back from that horrible game in Lawrence last week. They were outgained by Toledo but they managed a 52-31 victory.

Arizona State-They got down 14-0 after the first quarter due to a Colorado defensive score. They did wake up though and they outscored the Buffs 33-0 to close out the game. Dennis Erickson has a good team on his hands in Tempe.

B-:

Kentucky-Believe it or not, they did not play up to their potential in this game. They won by 36 points, but Kent State rolled offensively and they did turn the ball over 4 times in this game. Andre Woodson wasn't great as he only threw for 218 yards.

Missouri-Whoa man! Can Chase Daniel rack up the yards or what? He had 330 yards and 5 scores in yesterday's ballgame. But the Tigers only get a B-? Well, the reasoning for that is Ole Miss had 534 yards of their own. They aren't exactly known for their offensive ability.

Ole Miss-The Rebels weren't terrible in this game, but the defense was a little disappointing. Seth Adams and BenJarvus Green-Ellis had big games.

Tennessee-The Vols were getting all they could handle from Southern Miss, but they pulled away late and controlled the 2nd half with a 22-3 output. They didn't let Damion Fletcher get going at all which was one of the reasons they won the game 39-19.

Southern Miss-Even though they were dominated late in the game, you had to have liked their 1st half performance. I didn't see much of this game either, but I thought Southern Miss had a nice day at the office. The Golden Eagles should use somewhat close game against an SEC power as motivation throughout the C-USA season which kicks off against ECU next week.

UCLA-The Bruins looked above average in this one, but they played more disciplined and committed fewer turnovers than BYU. That was obviously the difference in this game.

BYU-Just like I said above, the Cougars turned the ball over twice and made 7 more penalties. You can't do that on the road against a team as good as UCLA.

TCU-They looked very solid going into halftime, but the defense wore out. That was a bit surprising. The Horned Frogs don't have a great pass defense, but it got beat up as the game progressed. Don't look at the score and think TCU isn't any good though, they gave up 415 yards, but they're still a solid football team that just didn't have enough depth in the tank at the end.

Ohio-The Bobcats went into Lafayette and won the game. This was one of the most evenly matched games considering the Cajun's ability to move the chains with their ground game. They surrendered 534 yards but ultimately won the game in the 2nd half outscoring ULL 21-3.

Utah State-I like what I'm seeing from the Aggies. They're bad, but I'm not so sure they're Temple-bad. They have competed with UNLV and Wyoming in consecutive weeks giving the Cowboys all they could handle. They actually scored 15 points in the 3rd quarter with an INT return for a touchdown to take the lead into the 4th quarter! Wyoming settled down and scored 15 of their own in the 4th, but it was a good performance.

UL Lafayette-They blew the game against Ohio. Their 2nd half wasn't as good as they hoped, but they fumbled the ball at the 2 yard line at the end of the game. They only lost 31-23, so they had a shot to win the game with a TD and a 2-point conversion. The did rack up the yards, ULL has looked very, very good on the ground so far.

MTSU-What I saw was a Louisville team that just wasn't prepared and didn't have their heads in the game. But Middle Tennessee battled. It was amazing that they gained as many yards as they did. I mean, let's not forget, they had one of the most anemic offenses in the nation last year. They had FIVE-HUNDRED-AND-FIFTY-SEVEN YARDS! Amazing.

Kansas State-They were okay this week against SJSU winning 34-14. It was pretty much what we expected from the Wildcats.

North Texas-How about that? Either Todd Dodge has made significant improvements or SMU has one of the worst pass defenses ever. For an offense that was so, so, so bad last season, they racked up 601 yards through the air. That's right, SIX HUNDRED AND ONE. That is stunning.

Indiana-I don't know, I saw bits and pieces of the game and they didn't look that great. Western is very sad at this point. I think they're deserving of a B- after seeing a little bit of their game. They did roll in the 1st half but they did allow the Broncos to come back in the game.

New Mexico-The Lobos had a solid victory last night. They let the Aggies throw all over them for 473 yards, but Donovan Porterie and Rodney Ferguson had a nice night.

Mississippi State-The Bulldogs pretty much owned Tulane, nice game.

UTEP-The Miners were in control for the first half before Texas Tech pulled away.

C+:

Northwestern-They didn't look as good as in Week 1 when they easily defeated Northeastern. The Wolf Pack moved the ball like crazy against them. They did win at the last second on a TD pass, so that's good news.

Kent State-They held their own against Kentucky, but they self-destructed near the end. They gave Kentucky 4 turnovers. It wasn't the best they could have played.

Virginia-Hey, they finally got some offense going! Either way, not a very good game. They were only playing Duke.....

Toledo-The Rockets still need some work after getting shelled in the final quarter by 21 points. They outgained CMU and still lost pretty handily.

Notre Dame-Yeah, believe it or not, I actually thought Notre Dame held their own for a while. They were supposed to get beat up even worse than they did against Penn State. Plus, this mediocre team went into Happy Valley. So it was a nice outing for Jimmy Claussen to get his feet wet.

Duke-At least they didn't get clobbered.

Ohio State-While you've got to hand it to the Ohio State defense for shutting Akron down, the offense wasn't very good and they Buckeyes only took a 3-2 lead into halftime. There's no way they can play like that against Washington on the road next week.

Wyoming-It took the Pokes a while before they woke up against Utah State. They needed 15 points in the 4th quarter to pull away.

UNLV-I know they almost took the Badgers out, but that had A LOT to do with the Badgers just being "out of it".

Arizona-It was nice to see Willie Tuitama get going........finally. The defense did okay but they did give up 24 points to Northern Arizona. Let's keep in mind though, they did beat the Lumberjacks, but they're Northern Arizona, not Cal.

Colorado-The Buffs disappointedly fizzled late in the game. I didn't like what I saw from them beyond the point where it was 14-0, but then again, that could just be a testament to how good Arizona State is.

Akron-Ehhhh, they deserve a C+ for hanging with Ohio State early on.

UL Monroe-They hung tight with Clemson, but the score was closer than it should have been. The Warhawks scored twice late in the game to make it seem close. Calvin Dawson had a nice day though.

Boise State-These guys played a good team in Washington and their defense settled down in the 2nd half. Taylor Tharp was bad and they need to find someone at QB.

Navy-They played a better team in Rutgers but they got their butts handed to them. That's 2 consecutive mediocre outings and they need to do better. Kaheaku-Enhada tossed 3 picks.

Vanderbilt-Maybe it was just me, but I thought the Commodores hung in there pretty well. Even though they lost pretty easily, they didn't appear to do too bad. They looked average, which, I suppose, is the definition of a C+.

Texas Tech-The Red Raiders didn't take control of this game and let UTEP be in the driver's seat before they took over in the 2nd half. Michael Crabtree and Graham Harell lit it up in that half.

North Carolina-As an ACC team (no disrespect to ECU), they shouldn't let the Pirates run up and down the field on them. Butch Davis was planning on having a more-stellar opening for his ballclub. It was a back-and-forth kind of game and they lost it at the end.

New Mexico State-Their defense stinks, but we already knew that. You've got to love their offense though.

C:

Virginia Tech-What a horrible showing for the Hokies. They were supposed to keep it close with their defense but instead, they got steamrolled. Part of that had to do with LSU being just flat out awesome and the other part was Virginia Tech just being overrated.

Texas A&M-They were bad on defense and this is the second week in a row. Not a good sign. Brandstater is terribly ineffective yet he had a good day against this defense. They were lucky they won this game. When you have a team down, especially one like Fresno State who is always geared up to play the bigger teams, you must put them away and that's something they didn't do.

San Diego State-At least Chuck Long has an offense to build around. They only managed to score 17 points, but they found a way to move the football for 399 yards. The worst part about this Aztec team has been the fact that they are rich in offensive talent but they never produce. This game didn't exactly go how they wanted it to, but at least they have some positives.

Miami-Oklahoma is dang good, but I wished we saw Miami do a little bit better than they did. The team seems to have only seen minimal improvement from last year; they stop teams but they get stopped themselves. It wasn't a pretty sight in Norman this week.

C-:

Oregon State-The Beavs turned the ball over 7 times as the QB situation did them in big time. They still have a nice team, but if they can't find a QB, this won't be the last time the quagmire has screwed them over.

Illinois-The Illini had 400 yards of offense, but they never really put the Leathernecks away. WIU kept it close, but they couldn't score. Give credit to Illinois' defense, but the offense needs to score more than 21 points against an FCS team if they even want to think about going to a 2nd-tier Big 10 bowl game.

Maryland-Come on. Seriously. Clobber FIU someday.

Idaho-The Vandals had a great day from Deonte Jackson who ran for a school-record 214 yards. However, they certainly did get helped by SEVEN fumbles, four of which were given to them by Cal Poly. They staved off a late comeback against the Mustangs.

Eastern Michigan-They sort of held up against a potent Ball State passing attack. It wasn't necessarily a good game, but they kinda played up to their potential.

D+:

Tulane-It wasn't a great opening for the Green Wave. They let a bad Mississippi State team control the game from start-to-finish.

Utah-Even though the Utes lost two of their offensive stars, they shouldn't lose to Air Force. 'Nuff said. They're adjusting to a new system and they should have a more potent offense than that. Kyle Whittingham should be on the hot seat.

San Jose State-Ouch. Kansas State rolled through the Spartans and they also suffered an injury to QB Adam Trafalis. It wasn't a pretty outing as they lost it 34-14 (with a late TD).

FAU-This is really based on my expectations of the Owls. I think they have a solid team and I think they could've played Oklahoma State closer. They just didn't get the breaks, I suppose. They were 3-15 on 3rd downs and that makes it hard to sustain drives.

Auburn-USF had a nice win, but you'd be lying if you said none of it had to do with Auburn's apparent lack of interest in the game. Too many fumbles, too many missed blocks, and too many missed throws by the average Brandon Cox.

D:

Louisville-The Cards had no ability whatsoever to hold Middle Tennessee. And the sad part is, their offense is horrible. I think their mistakes are correctable though because it just seemed like they were ill-prepared. They had better get better against Kentucky. They had over 700 yards of offense though.

Syracuse-Ewwww, they are one atrocious football team.

Rice-Is their defense horrible, or what?

Florida State-They dominated the game late, but I don't want to hear excuses about the 5 day rest. Nu-uh, not gonna have any of it. FSU just isn't very good, plain and simple.

NC State-The Wolf Pack basically gave the game away. Harrison Beck threw 5 INTs and the team as a whole had 7 turnovers. Horrible. I thought Tom O'Brien was supposed to get rid of this stuff?

Northern Illinois-Hey, they outplayed SIU, but that's no excuse. They shouldn't be losing this kind of game.

D-:

Hawaii-Man, I can't even really comprehend what just happened in Ruston last night. I know Hawaii was on the road, but they almost beat Boise State on the road last season. So I don't know.

Michigan-Terrible. Horrible. Perplexing. Throw in a negative adjective, they'll fit the description. Carr must go!

Western Michigan-They battled and came back (when the game was already lost). Words cannot express how disappointed I am in Western Michigan thus far.

Army-Carson Williams should've been the starter from the beginning. You need to be able to score more than 14 against Rhode Island to compete at the FBS level.

Temple-Argh, I'm ashamed for buying the Temple hype (and believe me, there was "hype"). I picked the Owls to win and in doing so, I forgot how bad they actually are. Buffalo is a better team and I've been thinking that from the start, but the Temple/Navy game changed my mind. Darn it.....Back to the game, Temple had -36 yards rushing..........AGAINST BUFFALO!!!!!!!!

Iowa State-What is their problem? They got manhandled against Northern Iowa. Brett Meyer is losing it, he threw 2 INTs and no TDs. They had 4 turnovers. The defense was good enough, but when are they going to learn that they can't keep turning the ball over? I thought ISU might surprise us even though I didn't think they were going to a bowl game. I thought they had a slim chance. I guess we can dismiss whatever hope we have for the Cyclones this season, they might be winless when it's all said and done.

Wisconsin-No real excuse for needing a TD late in the game to beat UNLV. I think this had to do more with Wisconsin being bad, which explains the very low grade.

SMU-You've got to be kidding me, there's no way their pass defense is that bad.

Added:

Fresno St +17

Oregon is playing great ball, but are overvalued in this game. UO is 5-0 SU against Fresno St. But....

Last year's 7 point victory is the largest EVER.

The 5 victories have been decided by 20 total points.

My only hesitation is that Fresno St may have shot their wad against A&M. But I don't think so. This is a regional game that Fresno St always gets up for.

The same could be true for Oregon. Did they shoot their wad against Michigan? Is Michigan even that good (no)?

17 points is a gift in my opinion. I missed it originally trying to lock in others in very fast moving lines on Sunday, but I'll pay -120 (unlike I did for Navy last week) and feel very confident in Pat Hill's crew to get the cover.

A Requiem for a Deposed Quarterback
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:15:20 PM EDT
</I>

Time heals all wounds, optimism abounds, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Take Sean Glennon.
780ced92_b749_4ab1_99d8_c4e902dfebb2.jpg

Sean Glennon could use a hug. Not this kind of hug.
- - -
It was clear to a lot of people about the time Virginia Tech was getting hammered and began bickering among one another in frustration in a Thursday night debacle at Boston College last year that Sean Glennon was not a world-beating quarterback, or even, as we'd learned earlier, a Georgia Tech-beating quarterback. Glennon finished the season by winning games in which he completed 4 of 11 (against Southern Miss) and 5 of 19 passes (at Miami), then turning the ball over on four straight possessions in a second half collapse in the <strike>Peach</strike> Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Still, his status as Tech's starting quarterback was never challenged - he was a ten-game winner, after all, and then the Hokies' most improved offensive player in the spring. In the months between the bowl breakdown and the summer forecasts, Glennon morphed from a struggling, freshly-scrubbed sophomore just trying to hang on to a rising, fourth-year junior with growing pains behind him and championships in front of him in the forgetful eyes of the pronosticenti: every mainstream outlet ranked Virginia Tech in its top ten nationally and every mainstream outlet ranked the Hokies first in the ACC Coastal, without exception in either case. Both projections were based on Glennon's apparent maturity reviving the Tech offense into a viable complement to the team's stronger parts.
This was not so much the case. Whatever Glennon's mental or physical improvement in the spring, it quickly escaped via the short gasps the quarterback emitted as LSU stealth destroyers approached the line Saturday as a prelude to "shock and awe" campaign that left the nation speechless and Glennon a beaten, broken, benched man. Which, as of this morning, he will officially remain:
  • Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer announced on his weekly Monday teleconference that he will start true freshman Tyrod Taylor at quarterback Ohio University this Saturday. This relegates Sean Glennon, who struggled in the team's 48-7 loss to LSU, to the bench.
    [...]
    "This is not a reflection on Sean [Glennon]," Beamer said. "He's put so much into his preparation, and he's such a competitor. We just feel like with this football team and our offense, Tyrod fits our personnel better right now. This is not easy for us because Sean has put a lot in the program."

- - -
It was nice of Beamer to say so, but the decision is a reflection on Glennon, specifically his inability to challenge defenses downfield, or escape pressure in the pocket. If Taylor is still lacking on the first front, he is overqualified on the latter, and if the offensive line-wide strike continues re: pass blocking, that skill will be the most valuable. Three-touchdown holes at LSU, at night, with zero positives to the team's credit and far less momentum, is not the ideal scenario for a true freshman to take his first snaps. But what were the alternatives? To leave Glennon in the bloodbath to be maimed and decapitated? At least Taylor might have the tools to defend himself. The most appropriate death knell for Glennon's full-time career came moments before his interception to Craig Steltz, when Kirk Herbstreit told the national audience, "We're going to be tracking Glennon's mistakes - er, decisions, all night." Herbie was only wrong because his subject didn't have that much time left.

GL this week RJ - Sorry I didn't call you, we decided to bag going to the UNLV game. Just too much other stuff going on, and trying to coordinate activities with all my friends out here. Still in Vegas today, went to the Cafe Monterano (sp?) last night for dinner at the Rio. The place is incredible and highly recommended.

Tend to agree on Fresno. The worry there is the back to back weeks on road with a tough loss last week. Oregon defense is still horrible. Michigan may have only scored 7 but when the henne was healthy they were in Oregon territory 7-8 times.

Already with you on Houston...glad you like them too bro.

I also like the Fresno State pick. The Bulldogs just always seem to play Oregon down to the wire, every single year. But, I'm not sure it'll be the same this year. Dixon has looked so good this year it's scary.

Having said that, I like the pick, I just don't have the cahones to pull the trigger.

BYU I will probably join you on later tonight. I just need to read a little more into the game. The Golden Hurricanes QB (Paul Smith) is solid, but...BYU played well against a good UCLA team, both offensively and defensively. I'm confident you're on the right side here too bud.

GL this week RJ! :cheers:

Definitely like Houston -14; I will probably go to the game because I have free tickets available to me, and I will have $ on the Cougars.

RJ, what are your thoughts on Mich St and Iowa?

GL this week RJ - Sorry I didn't call you, we decided to bag going to the UNLV game. Just too much other stuff going on, and trying to coordinate activities with all my friends out here. Still in Vegas today, went to the Cafe Monterano (sp?) last night for dinner at the Rio. The place is incredible and highly recommended.

No, worries. I had trouble motivating too. Enjoyed watching games all day Saturday and hanging by the pool Sunday and today.

Definitely like Houston -14; I will probably go to the game because I have free tickets available to me, and I will have $ on the Cougars.

RJ, what are your thoughts on Mich St and Iowa?

I've chatted with BAR and will probably hit MSU before it gets to 10. I made the line 7 but BAR has convinced me it should be higher. I really like MSU this year and anytime you can get the Stache on the road against a better team, you should feel good.

As far as Iowa goes, God help me, I lean ISU. Dog in this rivalry is usually money and ISU getting nearly 17 just looks way too good. If Chizik loses this game, he might get run out on a rail.

Pitt injuries:

M*A*S*H*ed Up

Filed under: Football, Injury, Players — Chas @ 12:10 am

Here’s the way things are looking right now:
  • Derek Kinder — WR — ACL, out for year
  • Chris Jacobson — OL — Dislocated kneecap, out for year
  • Dan Matha — OL — Shoulder injury, out for year
  • Bill Stull — QB — Torn thumb ligaments, out for about 6 weeks
  • Elijah Fields — S — Team rules violation, suspended for the year
  • Gus Mustakas –DT — ACL, out for year
  • Kevin Collier — RB — Broken wrist, out for year
Then there are the walking wounded. Players who are playing with nagging injuries (already).
  • John Pelusi — TE
  • Aaron Berry — CB
  • Joe Thomas — OL
  • LaRod Stephens-Howling — RB
I’m not blaming it on the strength and conditioning program — at all. This stuff happens. Just feel it needs to be noted from the Pitt website for irony purposes:
A significant portion of the S&C training load is dedicated to drills that serve to reduce the possibility of sustaining an injury. In this regard, a great deal of special exercises are performed during the advanced stage of the warm up, which precedes the primary phase of the workouts, that target the muscles that articulate the neck, shoulders, hips, and knees.
Anyways…
3 starters and <STRIKE>2</STRIKE>3 others who were expected to be on the 2-deep all season. Only Matha would have been a question mark for the 2-deep, though with the play of the O-line so far, not as much of a stretch.
Some may point to this as yet another reason to say that this is why the coaches should just be looking at this season as getting ready for 2008. No. This is the reason you don’t count on a particular season as when things happen. Injuries happen, then everything changes. The team and program can’t assume.

Got a bad line by comparison, but...

Adding:

Michigan St -10 (-105)

With the loss of top DL Mustakas, Pitt is going to have a helluva time stopping MSU and MSU gets to deal with a pro-style offense with little in the way of healthy offensive weapons.

SEAN GLENNON IS NAUSEATED.

…and so is his friend. Again, athletic directors of the world, please continue to NOT look at Facebook. Sean Glennon had a very, very rough night against LSU, getting pulled in the first half after Glenn Dorsey et. al chased him until he was sick.
If Glennon felt like puking afterwards, we guess he can handle it, as he demonstrates proper form in how to clear out the old upper alimentary canal in the photo below. (And that’s what he’s doing–fingers down throat, not a gun, and don’t even get sanctimonious about a possible association with Virginia Tech, guns, blah blah blah. Girl’s hurling, he’s putting fingers down throat. End of story and save the emails.)
1355693753_993d2e602f.jpg

Pretty much how one should feel after getting hit by the LSU defense.
Glennon is 21, so he’s entitled to get as soused as he likes, especially on spring break, the only thing that could explain a tan like that–your skin will only turn that color when alcohol meets sunlight through the medium of your flesh. (HT: Josh.)

Texas Longhorns Game Review: Defense vs TCU

by HornsFan Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 05:39:26 PM EDT

We conclude the TCU game review with a look at the defense and special teams.

Defensive Line
Coming into the season, the consensus was that the big strength on defense was among the front four - what with three all-conference caliber tackles and a host of strong options on the ends. So far, the group has lived up to the billing - starting in the middle. Frank Okam, Derek Lokey, and Roy Miller were equal parts outstanding on Saturday night. They've been providing a fierce push up front which has collapsed the pocket or commanded double teams, freeing other Longhorn defenders to make tackles.

While losing Brian Orakpo is a big disappointment, Lamarr Houston and Eddie Jones have proven their worth already. Houston got the starting nod and showed outstanding quickness against the Horned Frogs. Meanwhile, Aaron Lewis has remained steady on his side of the end, and the line as a whole has done exactly what Duane Akina has asked of it.

One of the nice things about Akina and MacDuff's "Desert Swarm" style defensive attack is the onslaught of linebackers brought in to the point of attack on the LOS. Let's say, for example, that Akina sends the MLB in on a blitz in the A gap, as he frequently has this season. That leaves Texas' opponents with one of two choices: let him through, or expend a lineman on picking up the block. In the case of the latter, Okam and Lokey are now left in isolation to make a strong push and destroy the line of scrimmage. Pocket collapses, Texas has blown up the intended play.
That's just one example of how Akina's getting a lot out of his linemen.

<INS>GRADE: A</INS>
<INS></INS>
Linebackers
Hmm. On the one hand? Killebrew still isn't any good. On the other? Every other Longhorn linebacker improved their play drastically from week one. Bobino had his best game in a long while, Scott Derry was as solid as ever, and the young guys - Jared Norton and Rodderick Muckelroy - gave Texas fans their first taste of exciting, speedy linebackers making, you know, plays.

Don't forget, too, that Sergio Kindle's not even in this mix yet. I said before the season that I was hopeful this could be a team strength this year. After one week, I was terribly concerned. After two weeks? I'm optimistic again.

Who the hell knows how we'll feel after next week's game, but at least, for once, Texas got more good play than not from this group.

<INS>GRADE: B</INS>
<INS></INS>
SECONDARY
Another mixed bag for Texas. On the one hand, there was improvement. On the other, TCU made too many plays against our secondary and should have made a few more. A better quarterback than Dalton certainly would have (and will).

Kudos to Ryan Palmer for at least looking like he belonged on the field. I haven't said that ever in this space, but he deserves it. Again - this isn't a guy I want to see trying to shut down OU's receivers, but he had a nice game against TCU's mediocre wideouts.

I can't say the same is true for Brandon Foster, who was once again subpar. He made a nice play on special teams, but as a corner, his play continues to hurt the team. I'll note, though, that his backup, Deon Beasley, misplayed two balls himself, so there's no easy answer here. Still, one wonders how long until the young guys get enough reps to just take over the positions. It's gotta be pretty soon.

As for the safeties, Marcus Griffin had a strong game, playing within himself and helping on run support without bailing on his pass assignments. Erick Jackson had his moments, but still looks lost out there at times. He's frequently a step or two behind where he should be, and I don't think it's a matter of him not being fast enough. I'm not sure he "gets" the position the way the best ones do. He'll do for now, but I worry about this team getting beat over the top by a team with a real passing game.

<INS>GRADE: C</INS>
<INS></INS>
DEFENSIVE COACHING
In terms of improvement from one week to the next, you have to enjoy what you saw on the field this past Saturday. Part of this might be adjusting to the Tomey/Akina/MacDuff system. I won't be surprised, for example, if this is a defense that improves much more than most units would over the course of the season. Of course, the only thing that matters right now is getting the machine well oiled by October 6th. Improvement after that won't mean nearly as much if we can't win in Dallas.

As far as scheme goes, though - I love what Akina's doing. We're not doing things perfectly yet, and personnel questions remain, but watching Gene "Stand Pat" Chizik let us bleed to death slowly last year was more than I could handle. His marriage to his base defense was... well, you know.

Things are looking up, though. I'll reiterate my preference for putting pressure on collegiate quarterbacks; the talent and execution among offensive units in this game is not strong enough to make you pay like it is in the NFL. Furthermore, Texas doesn't have the secondary to sit and wait for things to happen. Akina's willingness to try to dictate what the offense has to do is wise considering our vulnerabilities.

<INS>GRADE: A-</INS>

Money Making Monday - Week 3

Last week, I went 8-7, but it looks a lot better after the early games were 1-3.
Year to Date: 12-10 +1unit

TCU (-8) @ Air Force
TCU played Texas a lot closer than that final score indicated. It was 10-10 going into the 4th quarter! Air Force did beat Utah, but I think Utah is nowhere near as good as I anticipated. Also, go look at the last 2 games from these two teams. TCU has owned the Falcons. I hate road favorites, but I like this play. TCU's D will stifle that option.​

Texas (-20) @ Central Florida
UCF alrighty bit me once this season when the upset NC State in Week 1. Still, this number seems like Vegas responding to the average fans overreacting to poor Texas play in the first 2 weeks. I think the Longhorns got some much needed confidence in the 4th quarter last week, and will beat a very below average Knights team. I only need a 3 touchdown win.
Ball State @ Navy (-5')
Really? Another line that seems too good to be true. Which means I'll get it wrong. Navy lost by 17 to Rutgers on national TV, but Ball State isn't Rutgers. Ball State is probably one of the 6 best teams in the MAC this year, MAYBE, but Navy beats up the stinkies pretty well. And Ball State is a stinky. Run run run all over them.
Ohio State (-4) @ Washington
Beautiful. Ohio State struggles with Akron, Washington beats Boise State, and we have this line. 4? If you combined the best players of Boise State and Syracuse, you wouldn't even touch the speed that Ohio State has. Washington beat an awful awful Syracuse team, and then beat a Boise State team that isn't the 2006 version. This Boise team is a 9-3 team, I think. This is too little of a line. I've been wrong on Washington for 2 weeks in a row, so take that for what it's worth.​

I'm slowly veering away from Iowa, even though I think they cover. I still contemplating whether laying 28 pts w/ Tx Tech will bite me; I hate spreads that large b/c so much can ruin them from covering.

Would a wholesale change on offense really help?
By JazzyUte Section: Football
Posted on Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:48:35 PM EDT
</I>

Most of the Ute detractors, those who realize that something is not right, offer that changing the offense is the way to go. Essentially, they believe Kyle Whittingham can salvage this team by changing offensive assistants. But is this just prolonging the inevitable, or will it actually work?
Typically changing offensive coaches doesn't do much good because often the problems run deeper than that. This is the problem I see with Utah, because the root of that problem goes deeper than just poor offensive schemes. There is a fundamental issue with discipline and coaching on this team and I'm not so sure a wholesale change fixes that unless you go to the top. Yet even I can't come to grips with the idea of firing Whittingham. I do believe he deserves a chance with a new offensive staff, even if I don't believe it will really amount to anything other than another year with frustrating losses and poorly disciplined teams.
The biggest issues I have with this team is the fact there does appear to be talent, but it just isn't living up to the level of expectations. Now if it were one or two players, I think it could be ignored as poor players that don't care enough to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. That's perfectly normal, as every team has those players. But when it becomes an overwhelming amount of players that are struggling to live up to their abilities, I think you've then got to start questioning the coaching staff. And for the past three years, that has been the case with Whittingham and his staff.
I don't question the talent of these players, but I do not think they understand the game or have been taught to understand the game by these coaches. The fault there lies with Whittingham and his assistants and how am I supposed to think it will change with a new offensive coordinator and a couple of new position coaches? These problems are indicative of a poor coaching staff and ultimately a head coach. And as much as I want Kyle to succeed, and I've been damn good at not blaming him for every problem, I have quickly come to the realization that there are some fatal flaws in his blueprint for this program. Too big of issues that probably won't be solved by bringing in new assistants.
So how can I accept the idea of giving Whittingham a chance with a new coaching staff? Well because I still hold out hope, however slim, that it might work. Maybe Whittingham isn't a bad head coach and that these issues are truly because of poor leadership from Ludwig on down. We know that Whittingham does not coach the offense because he's not an offensive coach. He's put his full trust into the hands of Ludwig and I think he'll come away burned for that decision. But if he can find a competent offensive coordinator with the ability to actually teach and adjust, then maybe this team can succeed. But that's a big maybe and is it worth taking a risk bringing Whittingham back, knowing 2008 could be yet another underperforming year? That's the dilemma Chris Hill faces at the end of the season and that's the dilemma I face when it comes to formulating an opinion on a coaching change. What do you think, will dropping Ludwig and a few of his assistants really change things, or will it just extend our agony? Vote Here and leave your comments below.

Vandy -5' (-110) If I had to pick a side I like this one a lot...leaning that way anyways

Houston -14 (-110) Not to familiar with the team but a lot of you guys seem to love them...

BYU -6' (-110) like this play a lot...prolly end up on it

Fresno St +17 (-120) Up in the air here

Michigan St -10 (-105) Love it

bol RJ

BUYS AND SELLS, WEEK TWO

Orson’s Buys:
tradingfloor_01.jpg
BUY! BUY! BUY!
Cincinnati: Budding Big East Bantam Bumps Beavers Brutally! The Bearcats benefitted immensely from OSU ineptitude at quarterback on and special teams, blocking punts and intercepting the two-headed mufflebuzz that is their quarterback. Brian Kelly may have installed the spread at Cincy, but that’s not what should attract the eye from their defeat of Oregon State–what should is the line for OSU’s beastly running back Yvenson Bernard, a measly 16 carries for 30 yards. Cincinnati in two games has displayed something the glamboy frontrunners in the Big East haven’t: a defense. Show a knife in act one, someone’s getting stabbed in act three–just like Rutgers did last year against the Bearcats.

They’re entering a three game span featuring Miami of Ohio, Marshall, and San Diego State. They should be 5-0 going into their game with Rutgers, and should make the Scarlet Knights do something they won’t have to do until that game: do something other than bludgeon people to bits with Ray Rice.

LSU The horrifying thing about their mangling of Virginia Tech was their offensive performance: balanced to the point of obscenity (301/297 passing/rushing,) productive, consistent, and so multiform it could have been designed by an IKEA engineer.

(Look! It’s a table! It’s a desk! It’s a hedge trimmer! It fits in 435 square feet!) The only guy who’ll have actual game knowledge of Crowton’s offense, Urban Meyer, has bupkis in the way of personnel to carry off the trick of stopping it this year from all current indications. Werewolf with a chainsaw for a dick–that’s our summation until proven wrong.

USC Buy now–when they beat Nebraska at home (embedded predictions! Free with werewolf with dick references!) their stock will bounce back to the top of the blue chip honor roll following a week of luster loss due to LSU’s high-profile devouring of the Hokies. (We mean on NU’s homefield. In Lincoln. In Nebraska.)
caveman-a.jpg
Me no need offense!
South Carolina An ugly, ugly win by South Carolina; like Brian Billick in the NFL, Spurrier seems to have jettisoned any pretense of bringing back the Fun ‘N Gun for a 21st century renaissance in favor of bloody, minimalist defensive ball backed by an offense reliant on keeping the ball out of Blake Mitchell’s hands and the gameplan out of his brain. The shocking and comforting thing for Cocks fans coming out of the game on Saturday was the performance of the offensive line, who pushed Georgia around like sleds during the fourth quarter and allowed the real backbone of the attack, running backs Davis and Boyd, to bow up and secure the win. One point, thirty points–it’s a win, and it’s the kind of win fate bent the other way for the Gamecocks in 2006.

Hannibal’s Buys:
Oklahoma: Obviously. Miami’s offense had to pull out every stop to score seven Saturday (the field goals were gifts off turnovers), which was predictable, but I had counted on Miami’s defense giving hell to a redshirt freshman quarterback. Sam Bradford could have been about half as effective as he was – say, 125 yards, two touchdowns – and it still would have been considered a nice, mistake-free start for him under the circumstances. He completely shredded the ‘Canes instead, and I can’t really think of anything bad to say about this team. Other than peaking too early, I can only think of one possible caveat: Bradford’s fed on a lot of short, really easy stuff the first couple weeks, and Miami’s secondary really didn’t play much better than North Texas’ a lot of the time as far as being in position or taking the right angles to the ball. I would expect defenses at some point to start walking up on the receivers and challenging Bradford to beat them downfield.

Texas: UT was a firm ’sell’ at halftime, but with their backs getting dangerously close to the wall, the Longhorns might have turned their season around with a dominant second half. They outscored a legitimately tough TCU team 34-3 in two quarters, and the momentum might be all downhill from there.

Arizona State: Any pick from the Pac Ten is inherently volatile because there is no mercy or consistency in that conference, but ASU responded from a 14-0 hole Saturday by obliterating Colorado with 33 unanswered points and has a well-suited schedule for a little run through October: the next five games are San Diego State, Oregon State, at Stanford, at Washington State and Washington. It’s four straight ranked teams (Cal, Oregon, UCLA and USC) after that, but the Devils are dangerous on offense and could be 8-0 going into that stretch.
323043073_bc17430bc7.jpg

He’s back, baby! Flyin’ right intoooo the DAIN-JAH ZOOOONE!

Rutgers: I was pretty high on Rutgers coming into the season - the Kinghts can run the ball, they can stop the run, they can rush the passer - so they had very few questions to answer from where I’m sitting. The big one was quarterback, because they can’t keep grinding through close games just hoping Mike Teel doesn’t screw something up. So against Buffalo and Navy, it could have been two weeks of a low-risk Ray Rice Show. But even as Rice has earned his yards, Teel’s been almost perfect: 30-42 for 594 yards, 5 touchdowns, no picks - almost 20 yards per completion and 14 per attempt, if you’re doing the math. Tiquan Underwood and Kenny Britt look like legit receivers, which Teel did not have last year until Britt came on at the very end. This is a much more balanced offense and very much a Big East contender.

Orson’s Sells
Auburn: Brandon Cox could practically be heard screaming “RETREEEEAAAT” and “NOT IN THE FACE” during several throws against USF’s defense Saturday night. We’d kill to have the video of this, but Cox actually made several throws with this head and eyes looking at his cleats–not checkdowns, mind you, but full blown throws into coverage. The possibly-game-killing pick, though? Never fear, Auburn fans. He made that one with his eyes open and his head held high, doing just what he did when he wasn’t looking at his shoes: allowing the defense to see precisely who he was going to throw at that play.
(Cuddles Swindle theorizes he is Daniel Cobb with a forged birth certificate. Anything is possible through Bobby Lowder.)
Auburn, for the moment, is Virginia Tech with a running game. Arkansas and their blitz-freaky defense, coming up this weekend, surely took notes. Or perhaps more to Houston Nutt’s liking, they texted back and forth about it frequently.
Ed. Incorrect! A pair of patsies (Miss. State, New Mexico State) sit between them and Florida before Arkansas. But they’re all taking notes, we’re sure. Hopefully, Florida’s and Arkansas’ will actually matter.–ed.)

Ohio State: Five turnovers against Akron, dull play from Todd Boeckman, and a blown assignment allowing a safety…this year screams of interregnum in the Big Ten, liberating the rest from Michigan/OSU domination. Though Tressel plays just well enough without a quarterback, or even an entire offense, really, Ohio State’s neck hairs should be at full attention with fear thanks to a cross-continental trip to Washington, where they’ll play the scariest thing a Big Ten defense can face, evidently: a budding spread offense with a mobile quarterback on their home field.

Nebraska: Much as with Auburn, the erratic play of the qb puts the ‘Huskers on the sell block for the week, with Sam Keller throwing for only 2 tds to 3 ints on the year thus far. The learning curve with the West Coast offense remains notoriously steep, something Callahan’s cagily hidden by running the hide off the ball, but Keller’s third start in the system ideally would have come against someone a bit easier than the USC Trojans. Like the Atlanta Falcons, for example? Yes, that would have been pleasant.

Oregon State: A dark horse goes pale in the light of a foul loss to Cincy and a dismal struggle to the bottom for their qbs. Even the certified run game of Yvenson Bernard is stuttering at this point, and Sammie Stroughter, though back, fumbled a kick return and looked completely out of sync. A disjointed team at this point who needs to sit on the shelf until they figure out their supply chain for yardage and touchdowns.

Hannibal’s Sells:
Hawaii: I don’t know if Hawaii gains some kind of strength from the gods in Aloha Stadium or what, but they’re not the same team on the mainland. Louisiana Tech was the worst defense in the country last year, without qualification, exception or debate, and needing overtime to win there is a decidedly mediocre, un-ranked sort of thing to do. Colt Brennan had 548 yards, but he threw it 61 times to get there. The defense is going to get this team beat.
Orson notes: If you didn’t see the mediocrity in person, check out the summary below. We’d also like to note that Louisiana Tech under Derek Dooley is rapidly improving.
</EMBED>
Texas A&M: I held back unloading on A&M after it gave up 400-plus to Montana State in the opener, but letting Fresno State up off the ground to come back from 19 points down in the second half is Strike Two, and I’m not waiting around for the kibosh. Fresno should have won this game in the first overtime: after holding the Aggies to a field goal, FSU completed a pass inside the five that could have been the winning touchdown, or set up the winning touchdown at the one or two, but the receiver fumbled trying to stretch the ball over the goalline. Pure luck for A&M, which still kept the game alive by roughing the passer, anyway. The offense remains very one-dimensional, and I have no confidence in the D.

Miami: If neither Freeman nor Wright is going to deliver at quarterback, I expected at minimum the defense would be strong with all the athletes and continuity back on that side. There’s no excuse for some of the throws UM’s secondary allowed to torch it against Oklahoma, especially against a redshirt freshman quarterback, no matter how sharp. Make the tackle at six or eight yards, at least. The defense would have to be almost perfect to keep a game like that in reach, though, so until there is some semblance of danger on the offense, Miami is out of the picture.

Virginia Tech: Again, we knew about the offense already. So if the Hokies can’t play defense, either, there is no hope. Six-hundred yards? The level of the competition doesn’t excuse that.

Orson’s holds:
Florida: The 28 point second half and offensive lapses make parts of our brain go EEK! in most unpleasant ways. Andre Caldwell’s out with an MCL, punt return phantom Brandon James is hurting, and as has been the case all year, the defense is a young, dazzlingly talented collection of individuals who together make a spotty, average whole. We had a nightmare last night that the Tennessee game ended with Tebow backed into our own endzone and throwing a pick under pressure from mean men in orange. Seriously, we did. This week and good health do not go hand in hand.

Louisville: Mmmm. Cotton candy defense meets hungry hyperactive kid this week as they take on Kentucky and Andre Woodson. If you had concerns about the defense after watching MTSU last week, just wait until the surgical Woodson and the Wildcats go fishing against the Cardinals. The over may be closed at the betting window before the week is over, if Gamblor has any sanity at all.

Michigan: They should smack the freckles off the Leprechaun this week out of anger and sheer physical superiority. Yet a team so thoroughly defeated cannot be overestimated–for an investor, this is the equivalent of buying stock in the American auto industry right now. Hey, it couldn’t get any worse than horrible, right? Unless it gets fucking horrible, that is. Flee!

Hannibal’s Holds:
Washington I said last week I’d bit if the Huskies came out of the for-game stretch starting with Boise State at 2-3. So I lied: I like Jake Locker and I like this team just fine, but not enough to jump on the bandwagon with Ohio State, UCLA and Southern Cal immediately in front of it.

Nebraska Significant regression at Wake Forest. Part of my distaste for the Huskers’ game Saturday may reflect my very low opinion of Wake, but the Deacons’ running game covers the entire field and in some cases Nebraska was just outrun; it probably doesn’t win if the freshman quarterback on the other side doesn’t trump Sam Keller’s bonehead interception with a bonehead pick of his own into double coverage with a chance to tie. That is a problem with USC coming in, though I do expect being at home for a big game will be worth an adrenaline point or two. Are they awarding points for adrenaline yet?

Michigan State Held off Bowling Green. Simmering until the inevitable collapse at some point over the next month. At the point the Spartans really start to look like a ‘buy,’ unload them. Fast.

Louisville Thursday night was the Cardinals’ worst defensive game in years, and I’m willing to count it as a mulligan because a) it was such an extreme aberration (550 yards, 42 points and no sacks against Middle Tennessee State?) and b) the UL defense significantly improved at halftime, giving up just one touchdown in the second half. Still, the Cards suddenly look they could fall any time, even if I probably have less faith in Kentucky’s defense this Saturday. Brian Brohm is a reliable trump.

MEMO: TO MICHIGAN FANS

Dear Michigan fans,

We have no words of comfort. For comfort, go to mom, or better yet, Oprah. Or better yet, fire your motherfucking coach once the nadir turns into the midpoint when you lose to Michigan State by thirty, or (Jebus forbid!) Notre Dame next week, or to whomever else would snap the creaky back of the Carr Administration at this point. You’ll still suck, but you’ll have cut off someone’s head–and coachblood makes the wounded fan’s heart sing every time.

Instead of comfort, we focus on one seemingly cosmetic but terribly important thing. We watched the Oregon game, hoping to be that Oprah type person: rooting for the downtrodden, pulling for the wounded little meerkat, you know, falling prey to our national genetic predilection for the underdog/comeback kid. And for an instant we were there, until we saw this:

Key%20Play4.jpg

!!!!

This would be less appalling if it were alumni…but STUDENTS JINGLING KEYS? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Young, healthy people with clean, fully-functioning lungs JINGLING KEYS TO MAKE NOISE!!!! My god, why don’t you hire Salvadorans to come yell for you? Or better still, they could just come in and cheer for you while you watch the game in the parking lot in peace and quiet and save you the trouble of screaming “DOWN IN FRONT!!!” (Because that would hurt your lungs, wouldn’t it?)

Yes, this is coming from a boorish, decorum-free SEC fan whose fellow fans bring cowbells to games and set off seismometers at the geology department during games in between handing out sociology and leisure management degrees to illiterate, well-muscled athletes. It is also directed at a school in a conference where some schools actually cheer their asses off and force teams into penalties with crowd noise. And some Michigan fans have been railing about this for way, way longer than we have.

Don’t blame the architecture either. Instead, scream. At this point, you should be screaming, anyway. Who cares if it’s at your coach? Notre Dame doesn’t have to know that. This is football. Blood. Screaming. Tribal violence. Bizarre rites and rituals. Put away the keys. Pick up the torches. Less Roman, more Vandal, dammit!

Notre Dame just needs to be better at football. | by Pete

Schizophrenic -- a struggle to rectify two competing realities -- is the word to describe my experience for this weekend’s match-up against the Nittany Lions.

One would think that, having grown up in western Pennsylvania, I would have at some point made the trip to State College for a football game. But no, I had to move south to Washington, DC, before I managed to hit the highway en route to Happy Valley.

Regardless of the direction the compass pointed, all roads led to central Pennsylvania this weekend. State College is nestled smack dab in middle of the Keystone State, a state whose residents will often tell you is closer to two separate and hardly equal entities than a united commonwealth. On the left, we have Western PA, home to Pittsburgh, pierogies, and Primanti Brothers. On the right, you have Eastern PA, home to Philadelphia, Pat’s Cheesesteaks, and the Fresh Prince.

Of course, that’s what the residents of each respective hemisphere will tell you about their superior half. If you ask the Philly Phaithful, they’ll tell you that Western PA is essentially the Midwest, more at home with Cleveland than anything in Pennsylvania. On the other hand, the ‘Burghers will tell you that Philadelphia is essentially a suburb of New Jersey, the only fate in the universe worse than actually being New Jersey. As a Pennsylvanian, you associate yourself with one city or the other, you obsessively root for their professional football team, you eat their grease-saturated food of choice. If you live right in the middle, you associate yourself with the Amish.

State College itself falls into the stable archetype of a college town, on a very large scale. Pizza joints and Chinese restaurants dot lines of strip malls, punctuated by a sports bar or Best Buy. Large houses littered with Solo cups and enormous cardboard boxes serve as reminders of the recent return of the student body.

As we staccato-drifted down Park Avenue towards Beaver Stadium along with thousands of others, you could see that festivities had been in full swing well before our noon arrival. Despite having a reserved spot in a specific lot, we ended up in the last open lot clear on the other end of the stadium. “You can either park here or in South Bend,” I was notified by the grinning parking attendant.

psu-trip1.jpg

We intended to meet up with my parents and a group of their friends, who were Penn State season ticket holders. We beat them to the stadium, so they told us to “soak up the blue and white ambiance.” This weekend, it was much more white than blue. By a margin as wide as the Grand Canyon.

And most of those white came on t-shirts, which varied widely from expressing eternal devotion to Penn State to eternal indignation towards Notre Dame.

There was one for sale in a satellite bookstore that said, “I Don’t Give a Notre Damn.” Of course, if you’re willing to see this shirt, hold it up to your torso for a size approximation, wait in line, and then trade in hard-earned cash for this product, it’s pretty apparent you sure do give a Notre Damn.

But the one that stuck out most to me was the one that read, “You May Have Jesus, But We Have JoePa.” This should give you some sense of scale when it comes to discussing a Penn State fan’s love of their Ensure-fueled head coach. Not only was the shirt claiming that Joe Paterno was equal to Jesus Christ, but also that the fan thinks he got the better end of the deal.

Once we made it to the tailgate (which was impressively put together, I may add), it was the stuff all great college football experiences are made of: standing around in parking lots and drinking dedicated amounts of alcohol. I learned that Penn State’s original colors were black and pink. The State fan who imparted that information on me also told me that they changed to navy and white because the original colors faded in the sun. Pink became white, and the black lightened to navy, so apparently Penn State decided to cut out the middle man. This may be true, but I think the fact that they were black and pink certainly helped.

Either way, we had a great time with our group of Penn State fans, and you could not have asked for greater hospitality. I had heard stories that suggested a flak jacket wouldn’t be a terrible idea, and I’m sure others can chime in with less delightful stories, but my experience at least proved that not all Penn State fans have retractable claws and at night steal bad little Pitt fans that refuse to eat their vegetables.

Before entering Beaver Stadium, a fall Saturday at Penn State felt like a fall Saturday at most colleges, including Notre Dame. Good music, good food, games to play, drinks to drink, it was all you could want from a great college football weekend. Just what you’d expect from a school steeped in football tradition like Penn State.

psu-trip2.jpg

However, upon entering the stadium and taking my seat, I was confronted with dozens of reminders that this was, in fact, not Notre Dame. I’m sure many State fans would be quite happy with this realization, but I don’t equate “THANK YOU TO OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS” repeatedly broadcast on a Jumbotron to a backdrop of college students mugging for a camera instead of watching the field accompanied by a soundtrack prominently featuring Fergie with true blue college football. I’m telling you right now, if Notre Dame ever gets a Jumbotron, I’m mailing back my degree.

Nonetheless, the white-out was quite impressive, as the PA announcer declared the game to be the first ever “White House.” And the Penn State crowd proved to be fairly football savvy, remaining quiet when their team had the ball, and being extremely and consistently loud when we had the ball. A freshman quarterback that all non-Notre Dame fans hate with the heat of a thousand suns making his first start probably didn’t hurt the atmosphere either.

The football culture of Penn State is schizophrenic. On the one hand, you’re surrounded by all the tawdry, nouveau-riche touches you would expect from a minor league hockey franchise. It’s best encapsulated by Penn State adopting Zombie Nation, a techno song, as their unofficial fight song. It really is treated like such, being played after touchdowns and turnovers. But it’s not played by brass instruments and bass drums, instead it was recorded by a European with waxed eyebrows and a mesh tanktop.

And then on the other hand, you have a program that has found recurring success for decades, a team that’s won national titles and Heisman trophies, a team steeped in tradition. That Penn State is realized in their undying devotion to Joe Paterno, the man who built the program from the ground up, and the man who can do no wrong in their eyes, despite living to an age where, for all intents and purposes, he could go at any minute. A Penn State that still wears Coke-bottle glasses, flood pants, and white socks with black shoes. I don’t know which Zombie Nation, the one that signs the song or the one that worships the zombie, is the real Penn State, and I don’t think they do either since making the Big Ten eleven. They have no real rival, no real history in their current setting. It’s almost like watching the Clampetts move to Beverly Hills; it may be an overall upgrade, but you get the feeling that they’re not comfortable in their own skin anymore.

Oh, that’s right, a football game took place there as well. Once again, schizophrenia was the term du jour. One side of the field saw a Notre Dame team that should be much, much better than it actually is, but has failed to reach half of its potential yet. On the other side was a Penn State squad that has fans thinking national title, but is not even close to competing with the big boys. Anthony Morelli was the better quarterback in the game, but I think both sides would agree who the better quarterback is.

Jimmy Clausen was a dichotomy himself. He played better than anyone expected a freshman to play in front of that rabid crowd, avoiding mistakes and leading a team desperately in need of a leader. However, it seemed like he played thinking he was better than he actually was. One play sticks out in my mind, one of the many third and longs. Jimmy drops back, looks around, and then tucks the ball and runs through a hole in the middle. He tries to stiff arm, yes, stiff arm one of Penn State’s linebackers, and is immediately tackled well short of the first down. He knew it was third down, he knew had to reach the marker. And he thought he could slash through Penn State’s defense to do it. That’s not to say he can’t be one of the best, but to think as a freshman that he could slink through Penn State’s defense for a big gainer pushes confidence to the brink.

You'd think that a team that's played this poorly would have several disasters to address in practice. But that's not exactly the case with this team.

You can put a lot of heat on the offensive line (and rightfully so), but a team doesn't yield such impotent results two games in a row because of the poor play of five individuals. Instead, it's underwhelming performances at nearly every position. The team just isn't doing a good enough job yet. The running backs need to attack the hole better, the quarterback needs to find the right receivers faster, the receivers need to catch the balls that are catchable. The defense, while certainly earning their keep, needs to improve in every area of their play as well. In other words, this football team just needs to get better. But at least there is youth, and budding talent, on our side.

Make no mistake about it, the Notre Dame team we had out there could have beaten that Penn State team. Unfortunately, it’s becoming rapidly apparent that our greatest opponent is ourselves. But fortunately, when you are your own worst enemy, you get plenty of time to work on beating that opponent. Schizophrenia, once again.

Just as Penn State is a football program that is unsure of its place since joining a conference, Notre Dame is a football team without a foundation. New defense, new offensive line, new receivers, new running backs, new quarterback. I think Charlie canonized Jimmy as the starter so soon just so this team has some sort of stability to build itself around. As it stands, this team has no leaders, and a unit without leaders is a unit that doesn’t know what it’s playing for. Until now, Weis offenses always had the players that defined them. Brady, Jeff, and Darius. Think back to Willingham’s first year, when our defense was our best offense. Shane Walton and Vontez Duff. Find your leader, and you find your way to win.

Unfortunately, Notre Dame doesn’t have the luxury of warm-up games to figure itself out. I’m sure we looked at the schedule and saw next week’s game against Michigan as a tough one, but not in this Bizarro way. A battle between college football’s two winningest programs fighting to just find a win. If that’s not schizophrenic, I don’t know what is.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Weekly Affirmation </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 10, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

Ah, a season is finding its legs. Read all about it, and then find out why the Big East Conference isn't worthy of respect.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

Short-Form Weekly Affirmation: Fast Track Gold Club

First, we toss out reflection questions to make you think meaningfully about the games kids play on Autumnal Saturdays:

1) Does Michigan's horrible start make you appreciate what Michigan has done over the past four seasons?

2) Do you feel more sympathetic to Lloyd Carr when you consider that Texas (Sept. 1) and Louisville (this past Thursday) have struggled so noticeably against inferior competition at home?

3) Why no uproar over Auburn's start on ESPN or other media outlets? Are Michigan and Notre Dame the only places where outrage is seemingly justified (by some)? Is your school a school where "outrage" comes easily? Is your school a school where outrage SHOULD come easily? Should ANY football school bring forth outrage if the team has a horrible start to its season?

4) Fill in the blank question: if Charlie Weis goes _____ this year, he should have _____ years to turn things around.

5) How did you react during Virginia Tech's lopsided loss to LSU? How much did you make fun of the Hokies during the game, as you watched with your buddies? How fiercely did you criticize Tech players? Coach Beamer? Do you even remember?

Next, some football-only questions worth asking after two weeks of ups and downs:

Kansas State or South Florida? Who's better?

Was Georgia that good in week one and sluggish in week two, or was Georgia abnormally good in week one and closer to reality in week two?

Does Colt McCoy look like a quarterback who will hit his stride this season, or a quarterback who will try hard but still struggle to find his form?

Just who the heck is gonna step up and win the Big Ten when it's all said and done?

Would you vote Hawaii in the top 25 after Saturday?

Louisville or Kentucky this Saturday? It's almost like Pitino and Tubby--both teams win (but it ain't hoops).

Red-painted end zones at the Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio, or the older, plainer end zones of past years?

Now, the quick-hitters:

Hawaii playing on the mainland is a disaster waiting to happen. Saturday, that disaster was temporarily averted... barely.

Sam Keller better shake off the rust quickly. He'll face a familiar foe from his Pac-10 days this Saturday. And oh, he threw four picks the last time he faced this team from Los Angeles.

Florida's been awesome early on, but with very little to criticize about the Gators, it's hard to say that the world has learned anything truly significant about Urban Meyer's club. Well, that will change on Saturday against Tennessee. In six days, we'll finally be able to write something of substance when assessing the defending champions.

South Carolina fans couldn't be happier that a columnist could be so wrong. Georgia fans couldn't be more sad.

Gotta give Marshall's athletic department some credit. The folks in Huntington, W. Va., agreed to an 11 a.m. (local time) kickoff to get ESPN2 television exposure, but also to increase the chances that a highly-regarded opponent might be cobwebby. A few years ago, Marshall had Kansas State for an 11 a.m. game. Saturday, the 11 a.m. start time seemed to work against West Virginia for roughly three full quarters, before reality set in down the stretch.

Beating Colorado Saturday isn't terrifically impressive. But when you're Arizona State and you trail 14-0 in the first half, dusting off the Buffaloes by 19 points actually is something worth noticing. Physicality is slowly being pumped into the Sun Devil program by Dennis Erickson. Softness is being flushed out. That was the plan, Stan.

Seems as though the highest-scoring defense (or the least disastrous special teams unit, or the most mistake-free offense) might determine the Mountain West Conference champion.

Temple played Navy close in week one. Getting bombed by Buffalo has put talk of a resurgence to rest in Philadelphia. Too bad.

Texas A&M: Still no defense. Still not ready to win its division.

Paul Pasqualoni should not have been run out of town, Syracuse fans. Will you finally concede that point after a few years?

Can we just call off the SEC West race except for the Saban Bowl in Tuscaloosa?

Long-Form Weekly Affirmation: Premium Members

Okay, loyal readers. Time for this week's essay. We begin by saying that the Big East Conference isn't worthy of respect. Sounds like an incendiary statement. Well, perhaps--but its all for very good and principled reasons, reasons that you might not expect.

On the field, the Big East is producing results. South Florida took down Auburn on the road. Cincinnati obliterated Oregon State at home. The "Big Three" are undefeated. What's not to love? Well, let's start with the final minutes of Rutgers' win over Navy on Friday night.

If you were watching, you couldn't ignore it: coach Greg Schiano--who usually embodies the best values and the highest ethical standards, it must be said--became a greedy man. He had star running back Ray Rice score a late touchdown to pad his stats in order to look better in the Heisman Trophy race.

First of all, one can't begin to adequately express the disappointment that this situation has brought about. Schiano has taken a doormat and turned it into a winner. Moreover, Schiano engineered this turnaround the right way: by recruiting character kids like Rice and his predecessor--and the spiritual heart of Rutgers football--Brian Leonard. Schiano was given ample time by his athletic director, and he's taken good kids to make a great program that is reviving the college game in a region where pro football is king. Schiano--like Leonard and now Rice--preaches team football in which everyone sacrifices for the good of the whole. Having Rice pad his personal stats is an odious act that stands against every principle that has fueled Rutgers' rise to hard-earned and justified prominence in the college football world. Schiano needs to take a good, hard look in the mirror and remember why his football program has become so successful. Seeing a good coach make a selfish decision is a lot like seeing feel-good story Rick Ankiel being linked with HGH. Good stories and good reputations have been stained.

But this was a Big East story, not just a Rutgers report, correct? Here's where the story expands and acquires more scope.

Rutgers isn't isolated in its conspicuous attempts to promote a Heisman Trophy candidate. The Big East Conference--during the national ESPN broadcast of the Rutgers-Navy game--aired a commercial in which the league's four Heisman candidates--Rice of Rutgers, Pat White and Steve Slaton of West Virginia, and Brian Brohm of Louisville--were saluted for... well... being Heisman candidates.

This is why the Weekly Affirmation exists: to make sure that you don't just focus on the games, and actually realize that matters of consequence permeate the massive college sports industry. In big-time college athletics, with football leading the way, real dollars are spent in all sorts of ways. These dollars could be used for nobler purposes: scholarship programs, educational investment, inner-city outreach, and charitable ventures. Instead, Mike Tranghese and the Big East Conference are promoting Heisman candidates ONE WEEK INTO THE SEASON???!!! Can one begin to appreciate the outrageousness of such an act?

For one thing, the four players' three teams haven't yet faced a game of consequence or stature. Buffalo, Navy, Western Michigan, Marshall, Murray State, Middle Tennessee--these have been the six opponents for Rutgers, West Virginia and Louisville, respectively. To promote Heisman candidacies based on these opponents (and technically, West Virginia hadn't yet played Marshall when the commercial first aired) is ludicrous on its face. The whole notion of promoting candidacies that haven't yet been validated or legitimized is a grave affront to the purity of competition. It's an insult to all the players at schools--big or small--who don't have a conference to air commercials on their behalf.

What's much worse about this issue, though, is that it makes you wonder just how much money is being essentially wasted by conferences and individual athletic programs that are engaged in petty politicking and other worthless pursuits. If you're a donor or someone who's thinking about donating to an athletic program, you need to ask some serious questions this week about the ways in which your gifts are used. And even if you're not a donor, it's worthwhile to ask your alma mater (if it's a big-expenditure, high-end sports school) about the ways in which it spends its money on athletics. You would do well to consider making more specific donations to a university, perhaps in realms other than sports, where the nuclear arms race for cash is evidently devoted--in part, at least--to ventures that aren't just pointless, but opposed to the spirit of college sports.

Interested in being a philanthropist of substance (or in convincing friends and neighbors to send their money in good, wholesome directions)? Consider a story from the New York Times this past week ("The Age of Riches," by Stephanie Strom, Sept. 6), in which research indicated that "less than 10 percent of the money Americans give to charity addresses basic human needs, like sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry and caring for the indigent sick." You wonder why so many social problems remain unaddressed. Government doesn't do a good job, but if private donations don't amount to much, the situation isn't going to improve. Sports philanthropy--if it can be called that--doesn't seem like a good investment in light of the Big East's use of money to promote Heisman candidates one week into the season.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Monday Morning Quarterback </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 10, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

Jim Leavitt and Derek Dooley win acclaim this week, while the "tweener zone" and "pressure points" come under examination.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

There were two major play calling dilemmas this past weekend, and on both occasions, the coaches involved made the right decisions. One coach walked away with a victory while the other lost, but remember: you can make good decisions and still lose. (Conversely, you can make bad decisions and still win.)

First off, Jim Leavitt of South Florida basically had the courage to be conservative on Saturday night in Auburn. With his team down by three in the final minute of regulation and his team facing a fourth and goal on the Auburn 2, it would have been oh-so-easy for the Boss Bull to go for it and make the emotionally satisfying decision. However, Leavitt used admirable self-restraint and chose to do the unsexy but responsible thing. He didn't merely avoid going for the touchdown; Leavitt took a delay of game penalty that broadcasters Dan Fouts and Tim Brant didn't seem to understand. If you paid close attention to that fourth and goal situation, you would have seen that the ball was on the far left hashmark. Leavitt altertly noticed that a very short field goal from the far hashmark is a tricky kick. Taking a delay penalty actually improves the kicker's angle and increases the chances of a successful kick. Sure enough, struggling USF placekicker Delbert Alvarado--who had missed four field goals in the game's first 59 minutes--split the uprights to send the game to overtime.

Leavitt's use of the delay penalty was inspired strategy. But on a larger level, the decision to simply kick the field goal was a sound one. It's hard to apply overly rigid guidelines in these kinds of situations--some folks would say that being the home team or an underdog (more on this in a bit) should determine whether teams ought to go for the win or play for overtime at the end of a game. But Leavitt identified the most salient and substantive reason for kicking a field goal and, accordingly, playing for overtime: his team was carrying the play. Auburn's offense was on the run in the second half, and only USF's parade of missed field goals prevented the Bulls from winning in regulation. Leavitt reasoned that if his team was playing better, overtime was a high-percentage move. The end result supported his thinking. Good job, coach.

The other coach who also made the right decision in a "play on or end it here?" situation was first-year coach--and son of an icon--Derek Dooley at Louisiana Tech. Vince Dooley evidently taught his little one well, because Derek made a great call at the end of his team's wild game against Hawaii and Colt Brennan. Down by one in the "bottom half inning" of the first overtime (a college overtime should refer to its sequences as innings, because the scoring principles are the same as extra innings in baseball), Louisiana Tech had the ability to kick a PAT and opt for a second overtime, or go for two and decide the game on the spot. The Bulldogs went for two and missed, but Dooley left the field with his reputation enhanced.

Again, as with South Florida-Auburn and any other game involving this uniquely wrenching dilemma, the important question is always going to be, "Which team is playing better?" Dooley had to feel that Hawaii--so fragile late in regulation but very potent in the first overtime inning--was probably going to score a touchdown each time it got the ball in these supplemental stages of play. The Warriors scored on their first play in the first overtime inning, and with a gunslinger like Colt Brennan slinging the ball around, Tech had little chance of keeping Hawaii from getting seven points in each overtime stanza. For these reasons, it made all the sense in the world for Tech to decide the game on its terms, and to prevent Brennan from having the game in his hands. The actual play was stopped, but the reasoning behind the decision was excellent. Derek Dooley should hold his head high this week. Vince should be extra proud of his son.

Moving beyond play calling and to other areas of football analysis, it's time to dust off a term this space coined a few years ago: "the tweener zone." This is where a lot of close football games are decided. The "tweener zone" isn't the red zone; no, it's the area from midfield to the opponent's 35. This area is a "tweener" area because it's often too far down the field to justify a punt (especially between the 35 and the 40), but too removed from the goal line to justify a field goal. The tweener zone is a helpful football concept and a friend of football analysts because it enables observers to understand how points are or aren't scored.

Between midfield and the opponent's 35, offenses are in situations where one first down (let's say 15 yards) will usually put them in field goal range. The jump from the tweener zone to the area between the 20 and the 35 represents a jump from a non-scoring zone to a scoring zone. (That middle zone, from the 20 to the 35, then leads, of course, to the red zone, the area inside an opponent's 20, leading to the goal line.) This is, consequently, a very important aspect of football games, especially the close ones that come down to a field goal in either direction.

Big games and not-so-big games from the past weekend were significantly affected by the ability of defenses to get tweener zone stops... or, if you prefer, by the inability of offenses to get tweener zone first downs and move into scoring range. South Carolina-Georgia was affected by tweener zone performance levels. Nebraska-Wake Forest involved loads of tweener zone failures that kept the game close and, ultimately, prevented Wake from tying the ballgame. Louisville prevented an upset against Middle Tennessee because the Cardinals were able to finish drives and avoid stalling in the tweener zone. Heck, the Rhode Island-Army game was influenced by tweener zone performance levels. This is a term that should enter your football vocabulary.

Finally this week, a word about "pressure points." Pressure points are part of the larger school of psychologically-based football analysis, because they relate to things such as momentum, confidence, body language, and belief. Teams that surge in "pressure point" situations maximize their psychological and intangible advantages in a sport that's dominated by emotion.

For a perfect example of a "pressure point" football game from the past weekend, see the Boise State-Washington contest, in which a young Husky team knocked off the celebrated Broncos. Just how was this youthful UW club able to spring the upset? By capturing all the pressure points, and by thriving in tense, delicate situations.

Young teams will be nervous in big games, so it's important to relieve pressure by scoring first, and by striking when the game is still in its formative stages. Washington needed a first touchdown much more than Boise; fortunately enough, the Huskies were able to get that first-strike score. It set the tone for the rest of the day.

But the day wasn't done for Ty Willingham's team. After one team throws the first big punch in an important game, it's essential for the other team to make some kind of noteworthy response, to send notice that it's not going to fade away or roll over. Conversely, if the punch-throwing team can then land another big blow, the chances of a comfortable afternoon increase substantially. Again, Washington seized this pressure point by extending its lead and not allowing Boise to come right back. By grabbing a 14-0 lead, the Huskies made Boise sweat a lot more; had the Broncos seized this pressure point by evening the score at 7-all, we would have had a very different kind of game in Seattle.

A third fundamental pressure point concerns momentum and scoring runs: when one team is making a comeback, the leading team needs to do something to stop the bleeding and reverse the tide. Against Boise State, Washington did exactly this. After the Broncos closed the lead to 14-7, the Huskies--led by a fine young quarterback, Jake Locker--immediately drove down the field and scored a field goal. Sure, three isn't as good as seven, but the points gave UW a two-possession (10-point) lead while blunting the Broncos' momentum.

A fourth pressure point to consider is as follows: when an opponent is hanging around and/or teetering well into the second half, land a knockout punch to settle the issue. The Huskies--up 17-7 and having the Broncos on the run--floored their WAC opponent with a 58-yard touchdown pass from Locker to Marcel Reece.

You should get the idea: it's not just how you score or how much you score, but when you score. Washington scored at every critical juncture of Saturday's game against Boise State. That's how a statistically competitive game could be more lopsided on the scoreboard. Learn to apply "pressure points" to college football games throughout the rest of the season</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wright back as Miami's starting QB

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2007 12:55PM; Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2007 4:20PM

<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
t1_wright.jpg

Kyle Wright (above) replaced Kirby Freeman early in last Saturday's loss to Oklahoma and finished with 65 yards passing and a TD.
J.P. Wilson/Icon SMI

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- No matter the sport, no matter the level, there's been a constant throughout Miami quarterback Kyle Wright's athletic career.
Until this season, he'd never been a backup.
"I've never had to deal with that in any sport since I was 6 years old, sitting on the sidelines and watching," Wright said. "Definitely a different feeling."
That feeling is gone. After being the second-stringer for Miami's first two games, Wright is again the Hurricanes' starting quarterback, passing Kirby Freeman on the depth chart for Saturday's game between Miami (1-1) and Florida International (0-2) at the Orange Bowl.
If Miami coach Randy Shannon gets his way, this will end what he calls a "round-robin deal" at the position.
"It won't be one week Kyle and one week Kirby. It's going to be the Kyle Wright show for right now," Shannon said. "We're going to go with him, we're going to trust in him and believe in him to get us to where we need to be."
Through the season's first two weeks, Miami ranks 118th out of 119 major college schools in passing offense. Only Navy -- a run-dominated team with just 19 throws this year -- has put up fewer passing yards than the Hurricanes, who are averaging 84 per game. Miami's 3.7 yards per attempt are also second-worst among the teams in what was known as Division I-A, behind only Akron (3.6).
Shannon said he wasn't shocked by those numbers.
"That's why we need to make changes and do some things that we need to get done," he said.
It will be Wright's first start since Miami played Virginia Tech last Nov. 4. Wright broke his wrist that day and missed the Hurricanes' final four games of 2006, then lost the starting job to Freeman in training camp. But Freeman struggled in his two starts this year, going 12-of-30 for 98 yards with one touchdown and one interception.
Wright came in to replace Freeman early in last week's 51-13 loss at Oklahoma. He was the more effective of the two, going 7-for-14 for 65 yards and a touchdown, compared with Freeman's 3-for-9, 17-yard effort.
"Kyle came in the game against Oklahoma and gave us a little spark," Shannon said.
Wright is 14-7 as Miami's starter, with 4,123 yards and 27 touchdowns in 24 career appearances. He has completed 59.3 percent of his passes, a rate that ranks fourth-best in school history behind Bernie Kosar (62.3), Vinny Testaverde (61.3) and Steve Walsh (59.4).
He came to Miami five years ago touted by just about every recruiting service as the best high school quarterback in the country. But the numbers have never matched the expectations, and Wright acknowledged that the last few weeks since losing the competition with Freeman were humbling.
"It was difficult to swallow at first," Wright said. "But like I said, the only thing I wanted to do was go out every day and work hard and just be ready when I got my opportunity. As hard as it was, being a senior and a two-year starter, I had to accept that. That was a coach's decision."
Wright gets one more chance to lead a Miami offense that has struggled at times in recent years. Freeman will have a package of plays in the weekly game plans, but for now, the job is Wright's to lose.
"Don't take this like we're putting Kirby Freeman down. Kirby's always going to be a good quarterback. You need two quarterbacks," Shannon said. "Kirby, the first two games he started off and did some good things, but we needed more. ... We feel like right now, this is the best way we can win games."

UT's offense a throwback to '99

[SIZE=-1]04:13 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
chipbrown@dallasnews.com
[/SIZE]

AUSTIN – For much of last season, Texas fans grew restless with an offense that continued to operate zone running plays out of the shotgun with a quarterback who was no threat to run.
Fans knew what the offense was supposed to look like because they'd seen Vince Young execute it with debilitating perfection as the Longhorns won the 2005 national title while setting a school record for yards per carry (5.9).
After Saturday night's 34-13 victory over TCU, it's official: The run-first mentality established with Young is a thing of the past.
<!-- Refer begins here -->Colleges Blog: Colleges
Texas at Central Florida
2:30 p.m. Sat. (ESPN2)
KSKY-AM 660
<!--Survey: Saturday's result?
SportsDay picks
-->Schedule: UT | UCF
Statistics: UT | UCF
More: UT | Colleges

<!-- Refer ends here -->The sixth-ranked Longhorns are now a multiple-formation offense that throws the ball to set up the run.
"Whether you throw it to run or run it to throw, it's unimportant to us," coach Mack Brown said Monday. "We've usually tried to run it to throw it. And if it's more important for us to spread people out and hit some creases, we'll do that."
While Brown would love to stick with a power running game, it doesn't fit his personnel. The offensive line is inexperienced. And he's got sophomore quarterback Colt McCoy, a laser passer who knows the playbook and can read defenses, and a strong receiving corps.
Brown loved watching Texas throttle teams with the zone read, Young's most successful play out of the shotgun option. Now, Brown returns to a pass-first mentality used in 1999, when quarterback Major Applewhite and receiver Kwame Cavil hooked up for a record-setting year.
Cavil became the only Texas receiver to catch 100 passes in a season. Applewhite set UT season passing records for attempts (467), completions (271) and yards (3,357). It remains the only season under Brown in which Texas had more pass attempts (504) than runs (471).
Despite emphasizing the pass, Hodges Mitchell still ran for 1,343 yards while averaging 5.2 yards per carry.
Offensive coordinator Greg Davis trusted Applewhite, then a sophomore, to run the offense and make checks at the line, something he's doing again with McCoy.
"We're doing more things with Colt in terms of decision-making at the line of scrimmage because of his experience and the way he studies," Davis said.
In a 21-13 win against Arkansas State, Texas was stubborn and tried to run the ball to set up the pass. UT ran the ball 38 times, with 20 of those runs going for 2 yards or less, and threw it 33 times. The result was an average of 3.1 yards per carry, 340 total yards and an anemic performance.
0911ut.jpg
Getty Images
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy (12) threw the ball 38 times against TCU.

Against TCU, Texas faced a much better defense, threw the ball 38 times and ran it 36. Thirteen of those runs came in the fourth quarter, when the defense was on its heels. The result was an average of 4.9 yards per carry, 415 total yards and a blowout fourth quarter.
Over the final 15 minutes, TCU's defense was sufficiently spread out from having to defend the Longhorns' quick slants and slip screens to Nate Jones and Quan Cosby that running back Jamaal Charles suddenly had more room to run.
Charles carried 15 times for 52 yards in the first three quarters. He ran for 82 yards on seven carries in the fourth quarter, including a 39-yard burst.
"They don't know what we're going to come out in because there's all kinds of formations we can come up with," said Charles, the first Texas back to post back-to-back 100-yard rushing games since Cedric Benson in 2004. "They don't know if we're going to run it or throw it."
Texas is also using more formations and personnel groupings to keep defenses off balance. Last season, UT was predominantly in a three-receiver, one-back set out of the shotgun.
Against TCU, Texas came out in an offset I-formation. Before the night was over, UT had lined up with three receivers and one back out of the shotgun; two tight ends and two backs; two tight ends with one back; and even a five-receiver set with no backs.
"We felt in training camp that we were going to need to be a team that can play from under the center, in the gun, three wides, two tight ends, two backs, one back, because the zone read is not going to be a huge part of what Colt McCoy does," Davis said.

<TABLE class=dwsmodule cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=dwsmodule cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bilabel colSpan=5>FLASHBACK? </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=dwsmodule align=middle colSpan=5>Texas is using a pass-first offense this season because of Colt McCoy's arm, a deep receiving corps and an inexperienced offensive line. The last time Texas threw more than it ran was 1999. Here's a look at then and now: </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule align=middle colSpan=5>1999 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Quarterback </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Com. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Att. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TDs </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Major Applewhite </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>271 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>467 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>3,357 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>21 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Receivers </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Rec. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Avg. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TDs </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Kwame Cavil </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>100 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>1,188 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>11.9 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>6 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Ryan Nunez </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>56 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>600 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>10.7 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Montrell Flowers </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>34 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>552 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>16.2 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>6 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Running back </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Att. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Avg. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TDs </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Hodges Mitchell </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>256 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>1,343 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>5.2 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule align=middle colSpan=5>2007 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Quarterback </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Comp. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Att. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TDs </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Colt McCoy </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>71 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>47 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>462 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Receivers </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Rec. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Avg. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TDs </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Nate Jones </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>17 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>163 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>9.6 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>1 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Quan Cosby </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>11 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>80 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>7.3 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>0 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Limas Sweed </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>9 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>119 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>13.2 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>1 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Running back </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Att. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Yds. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>Avg. </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>TD </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=dwsmodule>Jamaal Charles </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>49 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>246 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>5.0 </TD><TD class=dwsmodule>2 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Cavalcade of Whimsy - 10 Hidden Storylines </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
473317.jpg

North Texas QB Daniel Meager
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 11, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

North Texas? Daniel Meager? The Mean Green might not be very good, but the new offense, after what it did to SMU, could quickly become worthy of national attention. This, along with several other hidden storylines, the Michigan meltdown, and more in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... E-mail with your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT]2006 Season | Preseason Part One, Part Two | Week 1
If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … Michigan RB Mike Hart guaranteed it would be better this week. There was no question in his mind. Then he found out that Chad Henne was hurt, and then he wasn’t so sure.

By now, you’d think Michigan fans would be used to being out of the national title hunt in mid-September … I have nothing against Michigan. It’s hard to hate the only place in the world where my McLovin fake ID ever worked. However, the meltdown theater in the aftermath of the 0-2 start has been a guilty pleasure to watch unfold. From the disgruntled fan base, to the grouchy player interviews, to the angry coaches, to the constant in-game shots of fans looking like Beavis when a Michael Bolton video comes on, this is becoming far more entertaining than the actual Wolverine games.

Cue the Chumbawamba ... All that was missing from Lloyd Carr’s instantly classic “nothing can keep me down” rant was 1) him banging a shoe on the podium while screaming that he’ll bury Notre Dame. 2) Stuart Smalley coming out to give him a hug, make him look into a mirror, and say, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

Figuring out combunatorial mathematics, hooking up with Minnie Driver, and getting Ben Affleck and Robin Williams another good role would be far easier than solving the problems in the Michigan secondary … (Lloyd Carr calls Mike Hart into his office, shows him film of the first two games, and shows him his stats)

CARR: Look here, son.

Hart, who had been looking away, looks at Carr.

CARR: (cont'd) This is not your fault.

HART: (nonchalant) Oh, I know.

CARR: It's not your fault.

HART: (smiles) I know.

HART: I know.

HART: (dead serious) I know.

Carr comes around his desk, sits in front of Hart.

HART: (tears start) Don't (bleep) with me, Lloyd. Not you.

Hart shoves Carr.

HART: I know.

CARR: It's not...

HART: (crying hard) I know, I know...

Carr takes Hart in his arms and holds him like a child. Hart sobs like a baby. After a moment, he wraps his arms around Carr and holds him even tighter. We pull back from this image. Two lonely souls being father and son together.

Maybe he should be doing more yelling and saying the word Michigan more … Unfortunately, Carr will end up being remembered by many Michigan fans as the guy who lost to Appalachian State and failed to get to the national title game in a BCS world. It’s amazinghow his résumé gets dumped out the window, while Bo Schembechler, especially now that he’s gone, is hailed as such a legend despite not doing many of the things Carr's been able to achieve.

Carr, unlike Bo, has a national title. Carr is the only Michigan head coach to win four straight bowl games. Carr has gotten his team to the Rose Bowl in three of the last four years, and while Michigan lost all three, one was to a Vince Young-led Texas team, and two were to the current USC juggernaut. Carr got the Wolverines to within a whisper of playing for the national title last year. Last year. Not ten years ago. Bo almost never had teams within shouting distance of a championship. History will treat Carr far kinder than the present.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to watch last week’s Oregon game again … Here’s a quick history lesson to possibly use as a reference if the Wolverines turn this around. In 1980, Michigan struggled in its opener, winning 17-10 against a miserable Northwestern team that ended up going winless. The Wolverines lost at Notre Dame, and then lost at home to South Carolina, for a rough 1-2 start. They then reeled off nine straight wins including a Rose Bowl victory over Washington. Wolverine fans can dream.

And maybe, just maybe, they play better when their uniforms don’t make them look like a bunch of militant peapods from space … Maybe, just maybe, Oregon is really, really good. Everyone has just assumed that Michigan stinks and lost to an average team.

Cut to a shot of Michigan students looking like they did when they received their rejection letters from Northwestern.

I guarantee I'll get more butts in the house … “Come early, be loud, wear black.” Throw in a request to bring a foot-long roast beef sub and a few movies about gladiators, and the University of Cincinnati has ripped off my personal ad for its 2007 football slogan.

However, you could send off a fix-it-yourself kit for hernias after carrying these things out to the dumpster … I know, I know, I’m a horrible human being for not taking the labels off my water bottles, falling asleep during Al’s flick, and for crashing the Exxon Valdez, so consider this my penance in the current wave greenness.

To all sports information departments out there, there’s no need whatsoever to keep cranking out the ultra-heavy, generally unused media guides you put together. The NCAA put page restrictions on these monstrosities a few years ago when they were getting truly out of hand, mostly citing them an unfair recruiting advantage for the big schools that could afford to put together and mail out the football version of War and Peace. But now, everything’s online anyway, or at least it should be. Florida has the right idea by sending out CDs with all its information on it.

“Do you mind if we dance with yo dates?” … If you like games played in the 50s, here are two to watch out for this week. Central Michigan got blasted by Kansas 52-7 in week one, pummeled Toledo 52-31 in week two, and now plays a high-octane Purdue team that blew past Toledo 52-24 in week one. The Rockets, who can't play any defense, get Kansas this week in what should be a wild shootout.

<TABLE id=table2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
473228.jpg
</TD><TD>It could be worse. He could look like Joan Cusack … Sorry Louisville fans, but the scandal is about to get out. Star quarterback Brian Brohm, thinking that spiking his hair would be a decent disguise, will soon be ineligible after the NCAA figures out he’s moonlighting as “Chad” the AllTel guy.</TD><TD>
473229.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The blind squirrel finds a nut, part one… Everyone likes to point to Ryan Leaf, the number two pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, taken one pick after Peyton Manning, as being the biggest bust in NFL history, or at least close. At the time, there was a major split on Leaf and what kind of a prospect he truly was. I’ve got a new entry for the discussion.

There was no waffling in 2003 when Detroit took Michigan State’s Charles Rogers with the second overall pick. Considered as sure a thing as could possibly be, Rogers saw his career get cut short thanks to injuries and a Rashaan Salaam/Ricky Williams-like affinity for wacky tobaccy. Now Rogers is trying to make it in the CFL after no one in the big league wanted him. It’s a shame, since his legacy should be as one of the greatest college players ever, and not as an all-timer of a bust.

Cut to a shot of Michigan students looking like they did after seeing what the girls at Michigan State look like.

The blind squirrel finds a nut, part two … With the way Kyle Wright’s can’t-miss career at Miami has missed, Kirby Freeman has bombed when given a shot, and with Jimmy Clausen’s Notre Dame debut so rocky, it’s interesting to note just how well the top quarterback prospects have panned out in recent years and if they’re actually worth all the trouble. Sort of like drafting in the NFL, if you miss at the top, you’re scrambling, and exactly like the NFL, you’re throwing up prayers past the first several prospects. Even so, note how bad some of recent years were, and what an all-timer 2006 might turn out to be. Here are the top quarterbacks in recent classes.

2006: (based on CFN rankings at the time). 1. Mitch Mustain, Arkansas (he will be the next great USC QB), 2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, 3. Tim Tebow, Florida, 4. Jake Locker, Washington, 5. Jevan Snead, Texas (now at Ole Miss)
(noteworthy: 9. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, 10. Juice Williams, Illinois, 13. Demetrius Jones, Notre Dame, 17. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma

2005: 1. Ryan Perrilloux, LSU, 2. Mark Sanchez, USC, 3. Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee, 4. Harrison Beck, Nebraska (now at NC State), 5. Jake Christensen, Iowa
(noteworthy: 18. Chase Daniel, Missouri, 27. Colt McCoy, Texas, 53. Matt Grothe, South Florida)

2004: 1. Rhett Bomar, Oklahoma, 2. Chad Henne, Michigan, 3. Anthony Morelli, Penn State, 4 Xavier Lee, Florida State, 5. Matthew Tuiasosopo, Washington
(noteworthy: 6. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M, 7. Brian Brohm, Louisville, 8. Drew Weatherford, Florida State, 10. Kirby Freeman, Miami, 16. Nate Longshore, Cal, 20. Erik Ainge, Tennessee, 24. Sean Glennon, Virginia Tech, 29. Curtis Painter, Purdue)

2003: 1. Kyle Wright, Miami, 2. Chris Leak, Florida, 3. Robert Lane, LSU (ended up at Ole Miss), 4. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, 5. Tommy Grady, Oklahoma (now at Utah)
(noteworthy: 8. Dennis Dixon, Oregon, 10. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, 17 Blake Mitchell, South Carolina)

2002: 1. Ben Olson, BYU (now at UCLA), 2. Tyler Palko, Pitt, 3. Trent Edwards, Stanford, 4. Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, 5. Vince Young, Texas
(noteworthy: 13. Brandon Cox, Auburn)

2001: 1. Brodie Croyle, Alabama, 2. Joe Mauer, Florida State (yes, that Joe Mauer), 3. D.J. Shockley, Georgia, 4. Matt Leinart, USC, 5. Derek Anderson, Oregon State
(noteworthy: 6. Kellen Clemens, Oregon, 13. Kyle Orton, Purdue)

But I’ll draw the line if there’s a crackdown on the Michael Irvin Memorial Parade of Hot Miami Chicks lined outside the dorm ... Could I play for new Miami head coach Randy Shannon? Here are his basic team rules: 1) No names on the uniform. No biggie since they’d probably spell Fiutak wrong. 2) No hats in meetings. Do visors count? If not, this means I have to shower every morning, and that could be an issue. 3) No cell phones. That should be a life rule, not a team one. 4) No guns. It’s amazing this has to be a rule. 5) Minimum 2.5 GPA. Thanks a lot Miami, I’ll catch you down the road. I’m sure Steve Spurrier will let me on his team.

This week on Great Moments in Sports Gambling History … Kevin Mims.Someone, somewhere “invested” in Nevada plus the five points against Northwestern. The Wolf Pack were leading for most of the second half, and appeared to have the game well in hand, but the Wildcats came up with a wonderful final touchdown drive to take the lead by three with almost no time left on the clock. No biggie, right? A deep kickoff meant Nevada had to start just outside its own goal line. Mims came up with the safety on a sack, and that someone, somewhere had to have thrown a mega hissy-fit when the once-certain +5 became a push.

But the networks have no problems finding ways to get cameras trained on the cheerleaders … Every year I crank out this rant, and ever year it falls on deaf ears. With all the emphasis on instant replay, high definition in the booths for the officials, and doing everything humanly possible to get the calls right, how can there not be permanent cameras set up on the goal lines and sidelines? If tennis can have the technology nearly perfected to make line calls, then so should the NFL and major college football. It didn’t turn out to matter, but ESPN, with cameras hanging from every wire in the stadium, and from Mike Ditka’s ego, failed to get a proper shot of San Francisco 49er WR Arnaz Battle on the goal line when he fumbled the ball into the end zone late in the win over Arizona. In the Miami – Oklahoma game, are you 100% sold that on the opening score of the game, Sooner WR Malcolm Kelly had crossed the goal line before Miami’s Randy Phillips stripped it? It just doesn’t make any sense to not put eyes in the most obvious places.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength
Ten interesting tidbits, players and teams that you probably don’t know about, but need to in order to become the person you’ve always wanted to be.

10. Hawaii running the ball
Colt Brennan really is good, but it helps the Heisman campaign when the offense fails to even pretend to acknowledge the running game. Hawaii running backs carried the ball twice, twice, against Northern Colorado, while three quarterbacks combined to throw it 59 times. Against Louisiana Tech, the Warriors gave it to their tailbacks nine times. Brennan has been the only one who runs the ball, and that’s when he’s being chased.

9. Hawaii’s defense
I’m not dogging Hawaii; this is one of the nation’s most fun teams to watch. However, this team doesn’t play any defense and would get ripped apart on the road by anyone in the shouting distance of the top 25. Louisiana Tech is not exactly, well, Hawaii, when it comes to offense, ran for 223 yards and four touchdowns, while Zac Champion threw for 187 yards and two scores while seemingly making every key throw. Up until the final broken up two point conversion, the Warrior D was always a step out of place. Up next is UNLV as part of an extended stay on the Mainland.

8. Short week theory
Throughout the year, keep an eye on how teams do on Thursday nights following a hard-fought game. Last week, it took Texas Tech a half to finally get the machine rumbling in the win over UTEP. SMU beat North Texas, but had a nightmare of a time (more on that in a moment). The Red Raiders and Mustangs played last Monday afternoon. Florida State and Clemson played last Monday night, and it took a while for both teams to get going on Saturday. The Noles got pushed way too hard by UAB, while Clemson, well, Clemson had no problems after a sluggish first few minutes. West Virginia goes to Maryland on Thursday night.

7. Pac 10 quarterbacks
No one has better quarterbacks right now than the Pac 10. The Big East could enter the discussion when talking about the top tier teams, but outside of the problems at Oregon State, the Pac 10 is loaded, meaning this will be a fascinating year. The emergence of Jake Locker at Washington and week one play from Stanford’s T.C. Ostrander means every team is going to have a fight each week against a good playmaker under center. USC’s John David Booty might end up winning the Heisman, but by the time the season is over, don’t be shocked if Washington State’s Alex Brink, Arizona State’s Rudy Carpenter, Oregon’s Dennis Dixon and Cal’s Nate Longshore have better years. Throw UCLA’s Ben Olson and Arizona’s Willie Tuitama into the mix, and the league is loaded.

6. Texas Tech vs. Rice
For those of you interested in stat watching, keep an eye on Texas Tech’s visit to Rice. Baylor QB Blake Szymanski threw for 412 yards and six touchdowns on the awful Owl secondary, and now the nation’s second ranked passing attack rolls into town. If things are clicking, and head coach Mike Leach keeps his foot on the gas, 600 yards and seven touchdowns are more than possible.

5. The possible resurgence of Michigan State
Considering the way UAB pushed Florida State and Bowling Green beat Minnesota, Michigan State’s wins over the two shouldn’t be glossed over. .Head coach Mark Dantonio’s tough, disciplined team has only committed seven penalties, good for fourth in the nation, and has gotten great play from a good trio of running backs. Considering Pitt’s injury issues and Notre Dame’s problems, the Spartans could be 4-0 before the showdown at Wisconsin.

4. Houston RB Anthony Alridge
He has only played one game this year, but Alridge already showed against Oregon that he might be the most dynamic player in America with 205 rushing yards, 88 receiving, and 32 yards on kickoff returns to make him the nation’s leader in all-purpose rushing. The former receiver is now a bolt-of-lightning running back, and is quickly becoming the hot underground star among the NFL scouting types after tearing off a 4.26 on Houston’s pro day.

3. Oklahoma’s offensive line
Phil Loadholt, George Robinson, Jon Cooper, Brandon Walker and Branndon Braxton. Right now, this is the best front five in America, and it’s giving Sam Bradford all the time in the world to look like a star. Did you notice Miami’s Calais Campbell on Saturday? Exactly. Teams are going to have to come up with funky ways to get into the backfield against this group. It’ll only get better against Utah State, Tulsa and Colorado before facing Texas.

2. The most productive linebackers you’ve never seen
Colorado’s Jordan Dizon might not be much of a pro prospect at only 6-0 and 225 pounds, but there aren’t any better tacklers in America. The senior made 280 stops coming into the season, and he currently leads the nation with 35 tackles, highlighted by a head-butting afternoon against Colorado State's Kyle Bell, making 20 stops in the win.

Illinois senior J Leman has 275 career tackles with ten games in double-digits last year. This season he’s started off with 31 tackles, highlighted by a 20-stop performance against Missouri. While he’s big and tough, he’s not all that fast. Even so, he’ll be a late first day draft pick who hangs around the league for ten years.

1. The North Texas Mean Green offense
North Texas had one of the nation’s most abysmal offenses over the last two years, and was brutal when it came to throwing the ball, averaging just 115 passing yards per game last season with only one game over 200 yards. In comes legendary Texas high school head coach Todd Dodge, whose spread passing attack dominated over the last several years. The offense didn’t do much in the 79-10 loss to Oklahoma to start the season, and then it went ballistic against SMU.

The numbers aren’t real, even in a world with Colt Brennan. 601 passing yards from Daniel Meager. 18 catches for 327 yards and two touchdown from Casey Fitzgerald. Ten catches for 133 yards and a score from Brandon Jackson. Korey Washington, the number three receiver, caught eight passes for 70 yards. Considering no one in the Sun Belt throws the forward pass with any regularity, it’ll be interesting to note what the attack does in the opener against Florida Atlantic this week. It’ll also be interesting to see how long Dodge sticks around Denton before taking his act to brighter lights.

Cut to a shot of Michigan students looking like they did when they received their rejection letters from that one dream Ivy League reach.
C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world
1) Overrated:
National champion Appalachian State ... Underrated: National champion Florida
2) Overrated: The need for head coach June Jones to wear a lei, even when he’s in Ruston, Louisiana … Underrated: Hawaii’s “haka” dance
3) Overrated: Michael Vick ... Underrated: Texas A&M’s Reveille missing the Fresno State game for snapping at a handler
4) Overrated:
The outcomes of NFL games ... Underrated: NFL Red Zone Channel
5) Overrated:
Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel ... Underrated: Josh McDaniels and Dean Pees
My Heisman ballot this week would be (remember, this is assuming the season ended at this very moment based on what has happened so far) … 1) Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma, 2) Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii, 3) Pat White, QB West Virginia. 4) Steve Slaton, QB West Virginia, 5) Marlon Lucky, RB Nebraska
You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools/But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever” … The three lines this week that appear to be a tad off. (1-2 last week, so as always, enjoy these just for pure amusement.) … 1) Nebraska +10 over USC, 2) UTEP +6.5 over New Mexico State, 3) SMU +3 over Arkansas State
Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault …
Had I known I wouldn’t have an offensive line in front of me, a running back to hand off to, or decent receivers to work with, I would’ve stayed in the limo and blown right past South Bend.

Gophers to make kicking switch

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2007 11:17PM; Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2007 11:17PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Gophers have run out of patience with kicker Jason Giannini.
Coach Tim Brewster benched the junior after he missed three field goals in Minnesota's last game, declaring on Tuesday an open competition for the job this week between Joel Monroe and Eric Ellestad.
"I just feel like we need to change directions at that position right now," Brewster said.
Giannini fell out of favor with previous coach Glen Mason at times, too. He missed six field goals -- including four between 30 and 39 yards -- and eight extra points as a freshman. Last year, Giannini also missed five field goals and three extra points, including one in overtime of a 28-27 loss to Penn State.
Junior Joel Monroe, the kickoff specialist who replaced Giannini on field goals and extra points in both of Minnesota's bowl games the last two seasons, is the favorite to step in. Freshman Eric Ellestad will compete against Monroe in practice this week, and Brewster will pick one before Saturday's game at Florida Atlantic.
Monroe, a walk-on from Robbinsdale Cooper High School who was awarded a scholarship last week, said he felt bad for Giannini.
"At the same time, I just want what's best for the team," Monroe said. "When the game's on the line, the kick needs to go in regardless of who's taking it."
Monroe is 3-for-4 on field goals and 13-for-13 on extra points in his career. Ellestad, interestingly, played for Robbinsdale Armstrong, the rival of Monroe's alma mater.
In other news, the status of tight end Jack Simmons is still in question. He hurt his toe in the season opener and didn't play last week, with Nick Tow-Arnett filling his spot in the lineup.
"I just refuse to put him back on the field until he's 100 percent, because it's not something I want to manage the whole season," Brewster said, adding: "I want to get the kid well and give him a chance to be the player that he can be."

That UF-UT under is just screaming at me at 58 points. Here's why:

2006/09/16 Florida 21 - Tennessee 20 W
2005/09/17 Florida 16 - Tennessee 7 W
2004/09/18 Florida 28 - Tennessee 30 L
2003/09/20 Florida 10 - Tennessee 24 L
2002/09/21 Florida 30 - Tennessee 13 W
2001/12/01 Florida 32 - Tennessee 34 L
2000/09/16 Florida 27 - Tennessee 23 W
1999/09/18 Florida 23 - Tennessee 21 W
1998/09/19 Florida 17 - Tennessee 20 L OT
1997/09/20 Florida 33 - Tennessee 20 W
1996/09/21 Florida 35 - Tennessee 29 W
1995/09/16 Florida 62 - Tennessee 37 W
1994/09/17 Florida 31 - Tennessee 0 W
1993/09/18 Florida 41 - Tennessee 34 W
1992/09/19 Florida 14 - Tennessee 31 L
1991/10/12 Florida 35 - Tennessee 18 W
1990/10/13 Florida 3 - Tennessee 45 L

That's 12-4-1 UNDER 58 since the game became a yearly affair and 5-1-1 in the 2000's.

Opponent watch: UCF’s new home-field advantage

Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
The University of Central Florida football program is pretty darn excited about Saturday’s big game against the Longhorns — a game that will inaugurate its new stadium — reports Florida Today.
The campus is abuzz in excitement over UCF’s first true home game in the 29-year history of the program. The school announced Tuesday that 45,323 tickets have been sold for Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. game, making it the first sellout in school history.​
“There’s definitely a buzz around this campus that you can feel,” quarterback Kyle Israel said. “You’ve got people putting up posters all over the dorms and the students are all talking about the game. It certainly hasn’t always been like this around here, but this is exciting to see everybody so fired up for our first game in the new stadium. And facing a team like Texas just makes it even better.”​
UCF’s players got their first game-type of feel inside of the stadium on Tuesday as head coach George O’Leary showed the players around the expansive home locker room. Then, the team actually practiced running out of the tunnel and onto the field for the first time.​
“I think that it is going to be a great home-field advantage,” O’Leary said. “If the fan base gets involved, the noise factor will be a major thing to contend with if you are a visiting team. I do think that it will be loud. It is a stadium that we took the time to do it the right way. I am sure that there will be problems on Saturday, but hopefully not too many on the field.”​

Great stats from TheWizardofOdds.blogspot.com:

Return Men Getting Aggressive

A higher percentage of kickoffs that reach the end zone this season are being returned rather than downed for touchback in comparison to past seasons, reports Marty from the great cfbstats.com.

In 2005-06, when the ball was teed at the 35 for a kickoff, only 34.53% of the kicks reaching the end zone were returned. But in 2007, with the ball teed from the 30, 49.30% of the kicks reaching the end zone are being returned.

And the 2007 percentage appears to be on the rise. In Week 1 the return percentage of kicks reaching the end zone was 45.10. In Week 2, the return percentage increased to 53.02.

Now is as good a time as any for Air Force to play TCU

By JAKE SCHALLER
THE GAZETTE
September 12, 2007 - 12:08AM

<SCRIPT src="http://widgets.freedom.com/video/?bu=colgazette&aid=27164" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
If ever there was a time for Air Force to play Mountain West Conference preseason favorite TCU, Thursday night would seem to be it.

The Falcons will be at home for a 6 p.m. kickoff. They are coming off a confidence-inspiring victory over Utah. And they typically play better early in the season.

The Horned Frogs, meanwhile, are coming off a tough loss to in-state rival Texas. And the short week gives TCU limited time to prepare for an Air Force offense that has been tweaked by first-year coach Troy Calhoun but still includes a good amount of triple-option, which opposing coaches loath defending.

“It concerns me because they’re using a lot of regular formations,” TCU coach Gary Patterson said. “It’s hard to call a game because you’re not just lining up against triple-option sets. You have to be able to get yourself lined up and make calls.... And defensively they’re zone-blitzing and bringing things from everywhere, and you’ve got to be able to handle it or you’re going to have a lost-yardage play.”

Even though the Horned Frogs beat Air Force by a combined 86-24 the past two years, Patterson at times this week has sounded like he’s taking his team into defending national champion Florida’s Swamp, not Falcon Stadium.

He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that coming to Falcon Stadium to face Air Force with less than a week to prepare is the toughest scenario his program has faced in three years.

He also told the paper TCU should not be favored in the game (odds makers have the Horned Frogs as about an 8½-point favorite). TCU even refused to give non-local media access to its players for interviews this week.

Calhoun, however, called TCU “one of the most talented teams in college football.” And he didn’t believe TCU would come to Falcon Stadium nursing a Longhorn hangover.

“The reason why I don’t is that (TCU) is a pretty veteran team,” he said. “If they had a team with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, maybe they’d ride the roller coaster a little more. But I think this is a pretty stable crew.”

Especially on defense. The Horned Frogs have nine starters back from last season’s unit that ranked second in the country. Calhoun said there were “at least five” players on the TCU defense who have the ability to play in the NFL, “and a number of them are first-day draft guys,” he said.

One question mark for the Horned Frogs is the availability of tailback Aaron Brown.

The junior, who was chosen as the preseason conference Offensive Player of the Year, suffered a knee injury in TCU’s opener against Baylor and did not play against Texas. Patterson said whether Brown will play will be a “game-time decision.”

Adding:

UF/UT under 57

Missed 58 and 57' waiting for Greek to come out with their lines but I think it's still good. It's 1 point better than 8 TDs and I don't see 8 TDs getting scored with Harvin playing in pain and Caldwell out. Typically a defensive struggle.

Notre Dame Is Going To Open It's Playbook

Posted Sep 12th 2007 2:18PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Michigan Football, Notre Dame Football, NCAA FB Coaching
irishopenplaybook.jpg
If you watched Notre Dame get pasted by the Nittany Lions last weekend, you probably noticed that the Irish offensive gameplan was extremely limited. Seriously, I'm pretty sure there were only four plays in the playbook on Saturday. Run right, run left, run up the middle, and screen pass.

Obviously, with Jimmy Clausen making his first start in a tough environment, Charlie Weis didn't want to overload the freshman with too many plays. Instead he stuck with the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" gameplan.

That's not going to be the case this week as the Irish prepare for the equally sad Michigan Wolverines, and look to avoid only their second 0-3 start in school history.
"We had minimal (plays) in," Weis affirmed of the gameplan in last Saturday's 31-10 loss at then-14th-ranked Penn State. "I wouldn't say it was the least I've ever had, but it wasn't very much. And, well, we believed it was enough to manage the game.

"But the problem is I have a Catch-22. I would rather not open it up, but you have to open it up to give you an opportunity to score points. I'm aggressive by nature, and being aggressive by nature you have to make sure you don't hang the quarterback out to dry."
May I suggest a spread offense, Charlie? It seems to be quite effective against the Wolverines. Just throw any four receivers with a pulse out there, a tailback, and let Jimmy drop back and fire. After seeing him play in two games, I don't have any questions about Clausen's arm. He can throw the football, and he can throw deep when he needs to. The only question at this point is whether or not that offensive line can supply him with enough time to get the throw off.

Preview: TCU at Air Force

[SIZE=+1]7 p.m. today, Falcon Stadium, Colorado Springs, Colo. (CSTV; ESPN-FM 103.3, KTCU-FM 88.7) Line: TCU by 8.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]12:40 AM CDT on Thursday, September 13, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

Frogs try to right themselves

The past two seasons, TCU has stumbled after potentially defining victories. Now the Horned Frogs must rally after an emotional 34-13 loss at Texas in which they crumbled after leading 10-0 at halftime.
TCU can't afford a second consecutive 0-2 start in the Mountain West.
The defense, expected to be a strength, wasn't really the problem. Two key turnovers on special teams helped Texas turn a close game into a blowout. Redshirt freshman quarterback Andy Dalton has dealt with growing pains, but has completed 61.2 percent of his passes. He will have to shoulder a larger burden with tailback Aaron Brown (knee) sidelined for a second consecutive game.
At Air Force, former Houston Texans offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun opened with two wins after replacing Fisher DeBerry. The Falcons still run the triple option well.
Senior quarterback Shaun Carney can beat teams with his arm or his legs. He ran for 113 yards in a confidence-building 20-12 victory at Utah last week. The Falcons rank seventh nationally in rushing (306.5 yards per game) and have yielded 15 points in two games.
Like TCU, Air Force has a key injury in the backfield. Senior tailback Kip McCarthy is doubtful with a right knee injury.

TCU wins if ...

It generates more than the 43 yards rushing it gained at Texas, and takes control early. The Horned Frogs have outscored their opponents, 216-13, in the first half of their last 10 games, which include nine wins.

Air Force wins if ...

The Falcons can control the football, Shaun Carney plays error-free football and the defense consistently forces TCU into passing situations.

Prediction

TCU 28, Air Force 14

Longhorn safety Gatewood arrested on drug charge

Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
Longhorn senior safety Tyrell Gatewood was booked into Travis County Jail at 12:36 a.m. Thursday on a misdemeanor charge of possession of a dangerous drug.
He also faces what jail records describe as an “out of county misdemeanor.”
This is the second run-in with the law for the 22-year-old Gatewood in the past year. He was in the car with cornerback Tarell Brown and former linebacker Aaron Harris last year when they were pulled over a before the Ohio State game, resulting in marijuana and gun possession charges.
The charge against Gatewood — a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession — was later dropped when he passed a drug test, but he and Brown were suspended for the Ohio State game.

Adding:

TCU -7 (-120)

Was hoping for a legit -7 but it ain't getting there without help from Bob and the like.

TCU will not be playing with a Texas hangover after last week. Have you ever seen a Patterson coached team do that? TCU will be strong on the front 7 and hold AFA's rushing attack in check forcing them to throw. TCU will be just too much for AFA in the long run and pulls it out in the second half to win by 14 or more.

TCU is the only team to hold AFA under 100 yards rushing last year.

I made the line TCU -12 so great value at only a TD.

Adding:

TCU -7 (-120)

Was hoping for a legit -7 but it ain't getting there without help from Bob and the like.

TCU will not be playing with a Texas hangover after last week. Have you ever seen a Patterson coached team do that? TCU will be strong on the front 7 and hold AFA's rushing attack in check forcing them to throw. TCU will be just too much for AFA in the long run and pulls it out in the second half to win by 14 or more.

TCU is the only team to hold AFA under 100 yards rushing last year.

I made the line TCU -12 so great value at only a TD.

You the man...

GL.

:tiphat:

damn RJ this is a really good thread...

and this picture only makes it better, so much better

ass.jpg

Back