Week 13 ML Dogs

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Alright all, cameo appearance here this week from the big guy.

In my estimation, this week has always turned out to have some significant upsets.

You'll see a game that looks easy for a fave and certainly isn't.

Obviously plenty of rivalry games for the slate.

Let's get talking!

Two MACTION games fire up this week tonight!!

I'm eyeing some big ones in my pool as I'm within striking distance of the top spot. Umass and USU. Baylor would have been a play but the way they lost that TCU game gives me some caution, same for Wyo. CC and Indiana possibilities as well.

2022's best winning dogs:
Bowling Green - 4 wins
Eastern Michigan - 4 wins
Georgia Tech - 4 wins
Middle Tennessee State - 4 wins
- many teams with 3 -

2022's worst favorites:
App State - 5 losses
Central Michigan - 4 losses
Florida Atlantic - 4 losses
Iowa State - 4 losses
Northern Illinois - 4 losses
Oklahoma - 4 losses
- many teams with 3 -

Friday I'm looking towards University Florida. A little more value created with the loss to Vandy. But Florida outgained Vandy 445-283 (7.0-4.6). Vandy did outrush them 175-45 (3.8-2.1) - Richardson only had 4 carries - his lowest of the year outside of E Wash. Other than the concern of rushing yards allowed and facing a strong run team in FSU this week, that Vandy result was a misleading game. Vandy had a fumbled punt recovery in the EZ for a TD, a 1p 28y TD "drive" after an INT, a 4p 3y "drive" for FG after FL was SOD at their own 12 yardline. That equals 17 of Vandy's 31 pts that their O didn't have to earn or work for.

FSU on the other hand looks unbeatable right now. I do wonder if it partially has been because the FSU D has not faced much in the way of competent offenses lately? ULL is a mid-to-lower tier Sun Belt O, Syracuse is a midpack ACC O who was averaging just 240 ypg and 18 ppg in the 3 games prior to their game with FSU, Miami had been as bad or worse than Syracuse on O, and GT is a bottom 3-type ACC O. So I wonder if FSU D while good, has had it relatively easy lately and perhaps they might not be as good vs Florida's O? FSU's run D is only ranked 7th in the ACC and Gators have a 15th ranked national rush O. In their road games this year, Florida is averaging 510 ypg and 32.7 ppg. They should challenge the FSU D. FSU D gets lots of sacks, but FL doesn't get sacked much.

Florida's D is a problem, there are a lot of young guys playing. We're picking upsets and teams that shouldn't win, so there are going to be reasons why they are dogged, in this case, by almost double digits.

Rivalry aspect ... Florida wasn't good last year either, playing with an interim HC and they won 24-21. I don't know if it at all plays a role, FSU pretty well dominated ULL, but I had wondered last week if that game might provide some insight to Napier to see players he is familiar with go against the team his current team is facing this week and be able to assist his gameplan more effectively after having seen that.

Florida has won 3 straight so no doubt this FSU team is going to be out to end that. Wake Forest and Clemson both beat FSU at the Doak this year. Clemson was up fairly big and FSU kind of clawed back to make the final look closer than how the game was played as I remember.

Missouri odds are a little too small for me to ML them, I'd rather have the pts I believe, but they appear like a good candidate.

I wish Cal was better. Forget what thread it was where I posted about UCLA's and Chip Kelly's record after playing USC, it's not good. Great situation to play against them, although here Cal is off their own huge rivalry game, Cal won though, maybe shouldn't have (4th Q scoop-score TD, 2pt, and a 9y "drive" for another TD after an INT return late in the game). Under Wilcox, when Cal plays a game after Stanford late season they are 2-2 SU with one of those wins vs UCLA as a small dog and the other game vs UCLA they lost by 3 catching 7. So Cal is 3-1 ATS the week after playing Stanford. Cal is just not very good and UCLA has been pretty good atleast offensively all year. Could be a good spot for Cal. Really disappointing loss for UCLA to rebound from I would suspect. Man, I just wish Cal was better...

This week always gets real busy starting tomorrow and it throws off my prep for Saturday games. I'm going to have to find some time to look further, but these are of interest for Saturday on ones I could actually see myself taking:

Rice - nasty tumble the last 2 weeks being outscored 17-86. North Texas has had some very good games and moments this year, but it seems like a lot of pts for them to lay and decent odds on what had been up until the last 2 weeks a fiesty dog in Rice. WKU and UTSA being some of the best teams in CUSA I get that Rice lost both, but the scores are concerning. Perhaps there are Rice injury issues?

Texas State - ULL not a good favorite or road team. Texas State beat App St on this field and has had a couple close losses to their record.

For some reason I keep staring at Michigan State who is playing a really hot Penn State team and UTEP who is also playing a hot team in UTSA. Indiana at first glance looks inviting, but they definitely should not win this game and I think it is a trap for me to think they would. Purdue is 0-4 ATS vs FBS this year as a favorite! Duke is another, but I'd rather just take the pts there. Same with Oregon State if I play them. Illinois could be flat this week and Northwestern is certainly still playing hard. That is is a ton of pts for MTSU to lay on the road even though FIU has looked like they have caved in these last 2 weeks. Michigan could win, but I'm happy just taking the pts, if Ohio State losses straight up I won't need money on it to be happy with that result.

Considering these after 1st pass thru.....

Texas St.
Boston College
Texas A&M
Akron
Florida
USCjr
Temple

:popcorn:

Tennessee @ Vanderbilt: You can see below that home dogs, facing a team coming off a road loss by more than 20pts and a loss ATS by more than 40pts, have not fared very well in the past. They are 0-8 SU and 0-7-1 ATS in SDQL database history. But I wonder how many of these road favs lost their starting QB the week before whom was also a serious Heisman contender?? One other thing that worries me about backing Vandy is their QB is a RPO guy and Vols do defend against the run fairly well.

vandy-tenn.jpg

Iowa State and Notre Dame. Also considering Vandy on grounds that Vols’ internal turmoil might not be over. And Cal as a wildcard.

Will look at Rice.

Sparty is playing for bowl eligibility.

PSU two losses, #2 and #3 in country.

#3 mauled them.

#2 they stood toe to toe till that wild 4th.

This series has produced interesting results.

Sparty is playing for bowl eligibility.

PSU two losses, #2 and #3 in country.

#3 mauled them.

#2 they stood toe to toe till that wild 4th.

This series has produced interesting results.
What about your boys? Think they can win at the Buckeyes?

I'm eyeing some big ones in my pool as I'm within striking distance of the top spot. Umass and USU. Baylor would have been a play but the way they lost that TCU game gives me some caution, same for Wyo. CC and Indiana possibilities as well.
WTF ref CC?? I guess I'm not all that surprised they're dogged but by 2 TDs?? Most interested....

WTF ref CC?? I guess I'm not all that surprised they're dogged but by 2 TDs?? Most interested....

Agreed.
I really want to make a case for USU or Wyo but I don't think I can. USU has never fared well in Boise, it's a little different in Logan. Same with Wyo.

Currently I have Umass and CC locked, just trying to pin my third. Nevada is horrible but UNLV on the road shouldn't be laying DD's. I have some interest in FAU as well.

Agreed.
I really want to make a case for USU or Wyo but I don't think I can. USU has never fared well in Boise, it's a little different in Logan. Same with Wyo.

Currently I have Umass and CC locked, just trying to pin my third. Nevada is horrible but UNLV on the road shouldn't be laying DD's. I have some interest in FAU as well.
BOL....after looking into it I think I have to pass on CCU. I believe this might be a case where "the line is showing us who is going to win." I also looked into Wyoming and think they may get crushed. Have not looked at the others....best of luck on your plays!

BOL....after looking into it I think I have to pass on CCU. I believe this might be a case where "the line is showing us who is going to win." I also looked into Wyoming and think they may get crushed. Have not looked at the others....best of luck on your plays!
Yeah, CC does have the feel of Uconn last week somewhat. CC holding guys out or what? I haven't seen anything indicating that.

@Two Utes 1st Qtr +270 & 1st Half +480 Utah State are excellent looking plays to me...not saying they don't have a chance to win which they will but that's plenty ML odds for me. I'll be on 'em!

BOL in what you decide!

:shake:

Agreed.

In a couple wild parlays, I included UMass and BC. BC has had a couple shockers this year. Why not another against the Orange?

I ran a bunch of searches pointing to Iowa State. That’s the only dog for which I’ve found much of a case in the database.

The funny thing about this week for Iowa State is that it is the least likely week for TCU to lose. I have occasionally thought they would lose here or there, other people have picked certain weeks for them to lose and they have beaten all comers. Now this is the first time in a while and maybe just the second time in Big Xll play that atleast some people aren't liking the TCU opponent - so that means it is probably Iowa State's week!

I am fearful of Iowa State's offense being good enough. I am however looking forward to seeing how the Iowa State D can slow the Frogs. I don't play them myself, but it could be a good ISU 1H ML opportunity?

Played these two (only difference is Utah State)...4, 5, & 6-teamer RRs with:

Akron Zips +300
Temple Owls +310
Texas A&M Aggies +310
Texas State Bobcats +189
Boston College Eagles +340
Utah State Aggies 1st Quarter +280 & 1st Half +420
Risked $45 ($1 per Parlay) to Win $23,859.80

BOLTA!

Not sure it’s new thread worthy but I just popped Tulane -102 ML.

Cinci is a super tough place to get a win, but I feel like the offense and Tajae are clicking and we know the defense is tough.

Fritz has these guys locked in.

Cinci is a super tough place to get a win, but I feel like the offense and Tajae are clicking and we know the defense is tough.

off the board at my place

I know Florida has its warts, but everybody is saying how well Florida State has played of late. They haven’t played anybody..ULL,GTech, Mia and Syracuse. They snuck by LSU the first game of the season and since then have not beaten a good team. Both teams with equal motivation. This game is a coin flip for me so value on UF IMO.

-102! That's not a dog!

Tough game I think. Most of all year I would say that Tulane is the better team. Cincy is definitely vulnerable this year...I just can't take Tulane at Nip as a favorite.

North Carolina Defense worst in the ACC in ypg (453) and ypp (6.14). NC State has the #1 rated Pass D in the league. Makes for an interesting game.

I know Florida has its warts, but everybody is saying how well Florida State has played of late. They haven’t played anybody..ULL,GTech, Mia and Syracuse. They snuck by LSU the first game of the season and since then have not beaten a good team. Both teams with equal motivation. This game is a coin flip for me so value on UF IMO.

Problem for Florida is that Anthony Richardson will have no one to throw to.

5 WRs out including its top 2.

Problem for Florida is that Anthony Richardson will have no one to throw to.

5 WRs out including its top 2.

Pretty sure 1 of the top 3 is playing, Pearsall? Or did they rule him out? And some new guy went off vs Vandy last week.

I'm just basing upon what Napier said earlier this week. Could have changed.

You are right that they do have 5 WRs out. I think Pearsall who is #3 in catches, but #2 in yards and #1 in TDs (only 3) is going to play. Then this new guy burst out vs Vandy, Daejon Reynolds went for 8-165-2 TD last week after catching 3 passes all year. If Pearsall plays that will be at least two good WRs to throw to with Reynolds stepping up.

The funny thing about this week for Iowa State is that it is the least likely week for TCU to lose. I have occasionally thought they would lose here or there, other people have picked certain weeks for them to lose and they have beaten all comers. Now this is the first time in a while and maybe just the second time in Big Xll play that atleast some people aren't liking the TCU opponent - so that means it is probably Iowa State's week!

I am fearful of Iowa State's offense being good enough. I am however looking forward to seeing how the Iowa State D can slow the Frogs. I don't play them myself, but it could be a good ISU 1H ML opportunity?
Iowa State is very underrated. Plus 65 yards per game in conference. TCU is +78 ypg in conference play.

Agreed.

Shady line be damned I'm sticking with CC. Umass and BC are the other two. Thanks for the dialogue JRock, just enough to keep me off of USU.

Shady line be damned I'm sticking with CC. Umass and BC are the other two. Thanks for the dialogue JRock, just enough to keep me off of USU.
I played them 1st half...you faded me?? LOL...anything I can do to help a brother out.

:shake: :moneyoutofhand:

You are right that they do have 5 WRs out. I think Pearsall who is #3 in catches, but #2 in yards and #1 in TDs (only 3) is going to play. Then this new guy burst out vs Vandy, Daejon Reynolds went for 8-165-2 TD last week after catching 3 passes all year. If Pearsall plays that will be at least two good WRs to throw to with Reynolds stepping up.

Pearsall is definitely playing, I'll say.

La Tech has caught my eye. Just on the surface, they have been good at home this year, beat MTSU as small dog, lost to Rice by 1 in OT, beat UTEP by 10 and a big win over a bad SFA team. UAB presents a much better team than any of those. However, UAB has played probably two good games all year. They are definitely off this year. Disappointing showing at LSU last week. UAB has also lost at FAU as a favorite which is pretty bad, last at WKU (QB got injured), slept walked 1H vs Charlotte at home, lost at Rice, lost at Liberty week 2. UAB has potential, but they don't often play to their full potential. Maybe they are going to want to get that bad taste of LSU out of their mouth, just they haven't been that great this year, 5-6 for them is really bad, 4-7 ATS.

Liberty...good enough to beat Arkansas, but bad enough to lose to UConn and Virginia Tech.

Wish New Mexico State was a little better, but not sure they have what it takes?

Back