Week 12 ML Dogs

I'm running through and just thinking out loud:

Bowling Green +588
Battle of I-75 for the Peace Pipe Trophy. Toledo won 7 straight. I see improvement in this BG team, although I must admit I have been playing them off-and-on throughout the year with mostly disappointing results. 1-5 BG only lost to 4-1 Tol by 7 as 31pt dog (was tied 35-35, Tol only out gained them by 31y). Tol likely angry after the OU debacle, no doubt what happened in Athens is the exception, Rockets still quality team. RB Swanson doubtful? He is a big loss, but UT should be able to gameplan without him, but won't be as effective running without him. BG D is concerning. Probably just take a shot ats instead.

Western Michigan +271
Man if it wasn't Goddard at QB this would be a great bet, but the odds would be quite different as well. In his two starts he has completed just 33% (heavy rain first start) and 42% (vs Kent) and he hasn't shown to be quite the dual-threat some had hoped. This is his road start and NIU does get respectable home crowds for a MAC team. I like WM D and their run game, who doesn't, but the QB liability may be too much to take the plunge on this. NIU D is their best side of the ball too. Probably shouldn't have even listed it LOL.

Temple +410
UCF feels like it is starting to slip a little bit to me. Watching the SMU game they had tons of big plays on O, but looked suspect on D at times. Temple is improving, although this is going to be a big step up from what they had been playing recently. Not quite sure Temple is ready for this, but think it could be competitive.

SMU +384
I've liked SMU a good bit this year. What really impressed me last week was the comeback vs Navy. Now ofcourse they allowed tons of yards and they got in that 3 score hole in the first place, but it is so hard to stop Navy repeatedly and make a comeback, their D made some plays. Their D isn't going to win this game either. Just like it didn't vs UCF, allowed many big plays to UCF. But what their D can do is make some timely plays and give them a chance. SMU O should be able to hang and score in this game. Memphis is quality team, however they started slow vs Tulsa. Played a poor second half vs Tulane. Started slow vs Houston. They don't seem to be very consistent of late. Memphis has won the last 2 years vs SMU 114-7 so there is that.

Virginia +837
This game is all about the potential of Virginia vs the inconsistency of Miami. It could very well be that Miami has risen to a different level from their own success and confidence. They are not short on confidence for sure. But we do remember the UNC game, or the Syracuse game..not that long ago. Maybe Syracuse is better than Virginia though. Scarest part of this is the turnover chain has produce 4 turnovers in 4 straight games...and Benkert had been known to throw an INT or two. But he also has 21 TD passes and this UVA O has had some flashes this year. Production is few and far between however. Actually I would think that UVA D has a chance to matchup ok because that isn't the best part of Miami's team, they aren't overly threatening. Then there is the hangover factor for Canes. HUGE home games vs Virginia Tech and Notre Dame..now here comes little old Virginia. Miami won by 20 last year.

Michigan +230
Just the biggest home game of the year for Wisconsin, sure they will be up, although a noon kick? Badgers looked amazing on D last week and has been so good on D all year. Some questionable games here and there, but they do what it takes and keep doing it. Harbaugh is going to have to gameplan his ass off in this one to succeed. Hopefully they can just score TDs and not need FGs. Gotta think Michigan D is going to make life really hard on Bucky.

Baylor +263
Bears deserved better last week, 3 turnovers in the RZ and TTech had 2 nonO TDs. Can ISU keep it going with another new starting QB?

Hawaii +313
Warriors been competitive in their 3 mainland trips vs teams their own size this year. Utah St is about what their record says they are, average MW team. Hawaii has show capable of playing within one score of similar teams this year. Thinking UH RB Saint Juste will be able to run well, MWC's #2 rusher behind Penny. The high in Logan Saturday is 39.

Duke +195
Bye, option, option. Sound familiar? It's what Temple had, they played Army, bye, Navy. Can't think of too many better scenarios for Duke to be taking on GT. A big problem is the Duke O isn't producing. They showed better than the score indicated vs Army, but their O has been really bad for most of this year. Nothing to really like at the moment other than the situation.

Syracuse +384
Virginia burned me last week at LV, do I want to do it again? If Dungey is ready to go Cuse > Virginia. Is that enough? The improved Syracuse D has a 2016 flashback last week and have lost 3 straight since upsetting Clemson. Although the games at Mia and at FSU they competed well. This O can produce vs just about anyone, but last week's D performance is going to give anyone cold feet now facing Lamar Jackson. His Heisman campaign was launched last year after shredding Cuse.

San Jose St +7000
This game should not be remotely close with the kind of firepower that CSU has and what SJ has rolled out onto the field this year. But I saw a team's heart literally ripped out then their nuts were smashed last week when CSU collapsed vs Boise. For that reason alone I can find enough change in my couch cushions to throw on this ML because I can honestly say I would not be one bit surprised if CSU lost this game.

Maryland +520
Just a hunch, nothing more nothing less. Mary has been a fairly unpredictable team this year, played a little better vs Michigan than I might've thought and has shown that they can surprise SU as dogs. Don't really feel that MSU should lay 3 scores to many teams and wonder if Durkin and Co can form a gameplan from watching the OSU game.

Coastal Carolina +263
Not if Linehan can play. If he is out then this upset could happen.

Florida International +477
The only time I bet against FAU this year was Marshall and I was really scared seeing how FAU started, but the more that game wore on I didn't think they were anything special. They appeared to have a blowout last week, but LT just kicked FGs instead of scoring TDs. FIU got their bubble burst last week, but I still think highly of them. I don't too often believe in look-ahead, and the players and coaches would never admit it if they suspected it. But the hype for this game started to ramp up a few weeks ago and it is possible that FIU may've taken ODU lightly last week and it bit them. They still had their chances to win that one, but turnvoers kept it from happening. Pretty interesting game. I saw some things in the Marshall - FAU game that led me to believe FAU can certainly be beat on D. Litton was high on so many throws and I think 4 INTs. McGough is vet, all I can hope is he isn't as erratic as Litton was and FIU should be able to compete.

Vanderbilt +249
Mizzou is having a great season since their week 5 bye...6-0 ATS! And they are just crushing people of late. Thought Vandy had regrouped nicely out of their bye vs SCar and WKU, then UK humbled them. Got to consider this one further, but thinking if Vandy O can get going again it could be a back-and-forth game perhaps.

California +548
The Big Game. Last year was close before Stanford pulled away for 14pt win. Think Cal is improved this year, Stanford is kind of the same. Cal off a win and late season bye. Their O is going to have to produce as that has been the most inconsistent part of their team. The D should have a chance, Stanford usually only scored between 20-30 pts most weeks.

I wanted to list Utah, but god that team is a mess.

I'm tired. Feels like I negative talked those more than anything else. Will probably have more thoughts as the week goes on and the prospect list gets narrowed down.

Last edited:
Recommend we look into Michigan this week as my SDQL is looking good for them. Will post when I️ get more time.

Secondly, I️ have a massive trend on Eastern Michigan for Wednesday I️ will share. Back up the freaking truck on EMU!!
Talked to the B10 boys about that

BAR has a feel, Hunt too maybe

BAR just about nailed the Turtle/Wolverine score on the head

He has been most active Partner lately so I am sure he will drop in.....no disrespect Fondy lol

S-ck what's up bro?

I'm glad you added the biggest woof otb because I was gonna ask specifically about it.....maybe the hoos and canes can chime in

Boy I just have an odd feeling....Miami HAS to be emotionally drained and a ill beat up and watched the rankings tonight

I will almost certainly take points, but I doubt my pussy book lets a damn near dime dog out for stabbing....

But if anyone to ask me.......if you have the out....I'd have it on my card for sure

Speaking of:

What is acceptable for a local to expose himself there....I say at LEAST 14 points (figure the ML there)...

I understand not letting the big ones out.....kinda, I guess

Way back when my local started using a website for odds I used to occasionally ask politely if I could play a dog ML. They always said yes. I haven't asked for years, I just play them now. But I never had more than 50 on a big ML so they probably didn't care.

You can probably guess what he'd say so you can approach it a certain way to get the answer and the play you want. I found out that my guy never likes to tell me no on anything, but I've been with the same one since the mid 90s.

Yeah, Miami...I mean we can guess different ways. I would tend to think and believe that they aren't going to have the same energy and passion they did the last 2 weeks. How could they come forth with an A game of that quality 3 straight weeks, it's rare in college especially for a team not used to doing it. But on the other hand success breads more success, they want more. I'm sure they can't wait to get back out on the field this week and do it all again.

I think it is an angle for sure. But for me, I don't want it to be the sole reason I play against a team. I'd probably be on Virginia here if Miami lost last week or split the last 2 so it means less to me. But it certainly helps knowing that there is potential Miami may not be brining their best this week. If they do bring their best then I just hope Virginia shows up with their best as well and come what may.

Taking the emotions out of it, probably better to see what we like about Virginia O vs Miami D or Virginia D vs Miami O. That is the better of the two equations for us. Virginia D. But if their O is turning it over a bunch it don't matter how good their D might matchup. I've been on Virginia a few times for better or worse this year. And been on and against Miami. Sure Miami is one of the better teams in the country and Virginia is not, but doesn't mean they can't compete. It happens all the time.

Yeah it's funny, I never would've thought Akron could win that game. Inflate the spread and cover, yeah sure. Win outright vs one of the best teams in the league, no. The TD called back on that clipping penalty then kicking the FG instead of 4th-and-1 TD try, the INT in the second half, the 4th-and-1 deep throw. Ohio definitely helped them along, but credit to the Zips. I have to say it is going to be fun to watch Nelson and that offense for the next 3 years.

The reason I trust Miami, maybe not to cover but to not lose is their HC.

GT needs to win for bowl eligibility cause they got dawgs next.

Lots of senior nights

And my weekly lotto donation 'er um investment...cough...cough.....begins with:

1. 11/18/2017 3:30 PM College Football 323 Kentucky* +1050 vs Georgia
  2. 11/18/2017 5:00 PM College Football 401 Coastal Carolina* +270 vs Idaho
  3. 11/18/2017 8:00 PM College Football 415 Michigan* +245 vs Wisconsin
  4. 11/15/2017 6:30 PM College Basketball 723 Indiana U* +475 vs Seton Hall
  5. 11/15/2017 7:00 PM College Basketball 745 Montana* +625 vs Penn State
Risking $32.00 (16 parlays at $2.00) To Win $28,262.04

:tiphat:

Doubt I ML BG or WM for the two major reasons...BG's D is just going to be hard to get enough stops for them to actually win. Cover, backdoor...maybe. WM the QB position is just too much for me to back them to win this game vs NIU's D. Maybe they can keep it close, but can't back them to win.

Anyone see it different?

Yeah it's funny, I never would've thought Akron could win that game. Inflate the spread and cover, yeah sure. Win outright vs one of the best teams in the league, no. The TD called back on that clipping penalty then kicking the FG instead of 4th-and-1 TD try, the INT in the second half, the 4th-and-1 deep throw. Ohio definitely helped them along, but credit to the Zips. I have to say it is going to be fun to watch Nelson and that offense for the next 3 years.
Nailed it. That Nelson kid, I like

Doubt I ML BG or WM for the two major reasons...BG's D is just going to be hard to get enough stops for them to actually win. Cover, backdoor...maybe. WM the QB position is just too much for me to back them to win this game vs NIU's D. Maybe they can keep it close, but can't back them to win.

Anyone see it different?
I may tease them both tonight.

Thoughts on Minnesota? I'm seeing some trends come back 25-40% SU...might not seem like much but the vast majority of my SDQL SU trends for dogs come back<10% winning percentage so Minny is a bit of an outlier. In addition, they need 1 win for bowl eligibility.

Last edited:
UTEP 0-10, final home game. Any takers?

I can't do it, won't do it. Will be rooting for them though. LaTech has lost 4 of their last 5. I've been going against LaTech with regularity, wish they were playing a better team this week as I'm happy to keep fading them (they were even in a tie game with Rice in the 4th). UTEP D hasn't been horrible, good first half last week vs NT and D was a little better than the score vs MTSU and played a good first half vs UTSA as well. They just have no offense. As unlikely as it is, if Miners were going to win one of these games, this is their weakest opponent since week 2. Just don't know where Miners are going to get the O from.

So thinking about it tonight, I've narrowed that big old list down:

Gone:
Virginia - don't trust their O to do enough, but still like ats
Duke - if it happens, ok, but same thing, not going to hope for something they haven't done in 2 months (no O)
Syracuse - don't trust their D, it's not as bad as last week, but this is Action Jackson they are playing
Maryland - to quote Timh "why?" you're right

Still potential of making it:
Temple - surging Owls, UCF still high quality, but believe are slipping
SMU - Pony fan here, Memphis rarely puts complete game together
Michigan - very much on the fence, need Peters to make plays and Nordin to not miss kicks
Baylor - defense actually showing improvement, may be product of opponent, they're playing hard
Hawaii - bring the cold weather gear Warriors, you're going to need it. Not sure they aren't the better team (both are very flawed)
San Jose St - probably just put $1 on it, fuck CSU
Coastal Carolina - will still be tough even without Linehan for ID, but teams are pretty even now without him
FIU - probably the next one to get axed, like ats, but am fearful of their exposure to speed and big plays of FAU O
Vandy - Coach Mason won back-to-back as TD+ dogs SU last year in similar situation last year, Mizzou is hot though
Cal - Still like it quite a bit. For the first time in years, this Cal team is "built" and will be coached and have a realistic plan on D to matchup with Stanford.

Those will get narrowed down further. I may not have much time for detail on these teams, but will probably post some tidbits in support tomorrow night or Saturday am.

I see tremendous value in Virginia. Miami hyped and big money against UVA who was hungover vs Ville. Miami always plays down to opponent, why should this be different? Huge emotional letdown.

Dont fade Coach Richt. He has purpose. His team is focused. They wont lose to inferior team now, but I dont think they are that awesome. Bama would crush them.

It does not make any sense but found another live dog for Saturday. Rice. Yes, Rice is live for a win over ODU tomorrow. No need to look into the game because you will find nothing but trash stats. I’m traveling today but will be able to post my findings tonight so you will have a chance to view the SDQL trend that was found before game time tomorrow. Peace.

Good thread, as usual. Thanks for posting.

I guess I'm the only one who is looking at Texas Tech. Over the years Tech has won a lot of games like this one where the other team is a little flat off a big loss and doesn't have the offense to stay with Tech. ( It should be noted I rarely bet ML dogs. I prefer to take the points on dogs and bet favorites on ML That bias always influences my thinking, so that may be why I like Tech)

That's the reason always read this thread. I see the dogs you guys like on ML and I like them even more with the points.

Cavs, Oregon is listing Herbert as probable.

SK, I don't like UCLA against anyone. I've been going against them all year because they don't look like they have much interest in playing. Especially the D, which is dead last of all FBS teams in rushing D, 123 in total D, 125 in scoring D. If there was any game on the schedule where they might decided to play it's this one, but this game is SC or pass for me. UCLA has only covered three times all year (one of those was the fluke against aTm) and is 0-5 on the road. SC has also only covered 3 times, so the game is probably a pass for me.

The total interests me more, and looks good. UCLA games have gone over 8 times including every road game. USC games have gone over 6 times and 4 of those were home games. And I think Rosen quit thinking about college ball a long time ago and is only thinking about the pros, but this might be a game where he focuses and decides to play.

Great call on EMU, JRock. What are you thinking on Kentucky this week?

I guess I'm the only one who is looking at Texas Tech. Over the years Tech has won a lot of games like this one where the other team is a little flat off a big loss and doesn't have the offense to stay with Tech.

SK, I don't like UCLA against anyone. I've been going against them all year because they don't look like they have much interest in playing. Especially the D, which is dead last of all FBS teams in rushing D, 123 in total D, 125 in scoring D. If there was any game on the schedule where they might decided to play it's this one, but this game is SC or pass for me. UCLA has only covered three times all year (one of those was the fluke against aTm) and is 0-5 on the road. SC has also only covered 3 times, so the game is probably a pass for me.

The total interests me more, and looks good. UCLA games have gone over 8 times including every road game. USC games have gone over 6 times and 4 of those were home games. And I think Rosen quit thinking about college ball a long time ago and is only thinking about the pros, but this might be a game where he focuses and decides to play.

1st Half ML Ky....they played well last week and should carry over. What do Dawgs have to play for now? They’ve won the East and maybe still a bit deflated from last week?? Ky really got the ground game going last week and maybe Dawgs defense a bit flat?? Too many maybe’s perhaps??

There are already four 30+ point underdogs this weekend in college football, and we could see five more matchups of the same come Saturday. Teams getting more than 30 points on the spread have had a 73% cover rate this season, going 57-21 ATS.

1st Half ML Ky....they played well last week and should carry over. What do Dawgs have to play for now? They’ve won the East and maybe still a bit deflated from last week?? Ky really got the ground game going last week and maybe Dawgs defense a bit flat?? Too many maybe’s perhaps??

I dont think they can stop dawgs running, i.e. Miss St. If they win out. They are in playoff.

One of those 30+ dogs that might be worth a look is Kansas. OU can name the score against them, but Riley has shown he doesn't care to run up the score and in this case his brother is a coach on the Kansas staff.

I won't bet any team that has only won one game, but this could easily be a game where OU gets up 35 and Riley gives everyone a rest.

One problem with that is that OU's backup at QB is a very good player.

Last edited:

I guess I'm the only one who is looking at Texas Tech. Over the years Tech has won a lot of games like this one where the other team is a little flat off a big loss and doesn't have the offense to stay with Tech. ( It should be noted I rarely bet ML dogs. I prefer to take the points on dogs and bet favorites on ML That bias always influences my thinking, so that may be why I like Tech)

That's the reason always read this thread. I see the dogs you guys like on ML and I like them even more with the points.

no I absolutely have been eyeing Tech, even if Hill played they still would have a shot at winning. But i saw this am on Mike n Mike that Hill didn't travel so all the better. Hell I thought that might actually make TTU the fav now

Any thoughts for WKU tonight? Not their best season. The MTSU defense boasts good ranking and decent numbers on D but their recent game against UTEp may be boosting their numbers a bit. MTSU lost on the road to UAB earlier in the season. MTSU and WKU have similar scores against similar conference opponents in Charlotte, FAU, Marshall, and even out of conference Vanderbilt.

My .02 cents on KentLucky is that is way to many points. Do NOT like them at all on the ML but 21 is a lot. I expect there to be a lot of running in this game and clock rolling.

One of those 30+ dogs that might be worth a look is Kansas. OU can name the score against them, but Riley has shown he doesn't care to run up the score and in this case his brother is a coach on the Kansas staff.

I won't bet any tea that has only won one game, but this could easily be a game where OU gets up 35 and Riley gives everyone a rest.

One problem with that is that OU's backup at QB is a very good player.
Mercer is on my radar. I have no even seen a line yet but I don't think Bama will run it up and but I don't think Mercer will score more than 3 either. I expect something like a 42/49-0 type score

Any thoughts for WKU tonight? Not their best season. The MTSU defense boasts good ranking and decent numbers on D but their recent game against UTEp may be boosting their numbers a bit. MTSU lost on the road to UAB earlier in the season. MTSU and WKU have similar scores against similar conference opponents in Charlotte, FAU, Marshall, and even out of conference Vanderbilt.
I have a few thoughts on page 1. I grabbed the Over at 53.5 and I honestly like MTSU tonight. But WKU is NO DOUBT a LIVE ML Dog tonight. Would not surprise me 1 bit if they win.
These 2 teams are pretty equal
I just think Stockstill is the -3 difference tonight.
Again, just my .02, can't wait to watch it.

OK, here are some things on The Big Game - Cal at Stanford

2016 45-31 Stanford -10.5
2015 35-22 Stanford -9.5
2014 38-17 Stanford -5.5
2013 63-13 Stanford -31.5
2012 21-3 Stanford -3
2011 31-28 Stanford -17
2010 48-14 Stanford -6.5
2009 Cal 34-28 +7

During the Sonny Dykes years it was always defense optional, you can't hope to beat Stanford by just trying to outscore them, it requires a little D, something Cal hasn't had in this game for a while. But they have a little of it now. And in fact, statistically, in some areas Cal has a BETTER D than Stanford. Cal's rush D ypg and ypc is better!

The D improvement for Cal this year is documented and in many cases pretty astonishing. Cal has come a long way on D under Wilcox. Cal's biggest weakness has usually been vs spread teams that stretches the field with lots of speedy receiving options. Playing the style Stanford plays is what this Cal team prefers. Stanford's size, strength and execution level will still remain a challenge. Wilcox is plenty familiar with what Stanford will do. He was DC at USC and Washington with good results vs Cardinal. This knowledge, the bye week leading up to this game and his teams improvement on D helps Cal alot. For the first time in several years, Cal is equipped to make this game competitive.

Offensively, Cal isn't as good as previous editions, a TD off of last year's scoring avg, but still good enough. They are missing some of the best skill players at RB and WR, but have been able to produce vs most teams. QB Ross Bowers is off his best game of the year (vs Ore St) and has had many positive moments this season. WRs Wharton and Noa aren't spectacular, but reliable. RB Laird isn't great either, but he at times be effective behind an iffy OL. Thing is Stanford D is not up to their normal standards. So while it is surely going to be a challenge for Cal O still, but the going should be easier than just about any game I can remember vs Cardinal D.

The impressesions and expectations of teams in college football changes on a weekly basis. Last week Stanford was left for dead, now they can win the North. They had been left for dead because too many of their short comings were surfacing resulting in close wins and losses...remember the poor showing at Washington State just 2 games ago? Their win vs UW was impressive, but they are still the same team we had questions about.

The average line the last 3 years is 8.5. The average margin of victory last 3 years for Stanford is 16. This spread is larger and I think Cal is better positioned to compete in this year's game than previously.

Last edited:
Regarding Hawaii, I earlier said I thought they might be the better team, that was inaccurate. They may be fairly even, but UH is not better.

UH is not getting the Ws against their equals, or perceived equals...WYO, Nev, UNLV all loses by 7, 14 and 8..and all on the road. UH did cover their last road game at UNLV (only outgained by 12y). The Nevada loss was ugly and the Wyoming game was a long time ago now, week 4, but they outgained Wyo by nearly 200y, but had 2 critical INTs and lost in OT.

Utah St has gotten some Ws vs their equals including last game the win at NM, Utah St was badly outgained however but benefitted from 4 NM TOs. They did beat UNLV (UNLV led 14-0 and 28-14, but Utah St rallied to win big). Utah St deserved better in their loss to Wyoming.

Neither team has competed good against the top MWC teams, although Hawaii had a chance to pull within one score late vs Fresno last week. Utah St appeared to hang with CSU when Rams were rolling, but as I remember CSU jumped out early and took their foot off the gas and just coasted.

It's a tough game to back UH on the ML. They have regressed from last season and this year haven't shown the ability to win games like this and the conditions will be tough. Upon landing today they practiced in snow changing to cold rain and it will be cold tomorrow (but dry), and very early kick. If I have my time zones right it will be a 10am kick Hawaii time, very early for one of their games as all are usually in the evening. Utah State is also off a late season bye with bowl hope still alive and in their final home game.

While, UH can win this game, I'm not going to bank on them to do it. Dropping to ats only play for me.

Good write-up on Cal/Stanford, SK.

Stanford looks a little better with Costello at QB, but I think the Cal D can keep this one close.

Don't have any time to add additional thoughts at the moment. Maybe something on a game or two tomorrow morning when I'm figuring out who and for how much I'm actually playing.

I see tremendous value in Virginia. Miami hyped and big money against UVA who was hungover vs Ville. Miami always plays down to opponent, why should this be different? Huge emotional letdown.

Situationally really doesn't get a lot better than this one does it? Throw in canes have been in several dog fights vs lesser competition and this one certainly sticks out as at least a good ats wager.

I may be getting cold feet on Michigan...beyond the fear of FG issues.

Can Peters produce against Badger D? He hasn't been asked to do much and alot has come easy the last several weeks for Michigan. I've seen teams just crumble in the face of that Wisconsin D. Can't believe I might back out of betting against Wisconsin again. I've bet against Wisconsin 9 of 10 games this year. It hasn't been all bad ats 4-5, but obviously none of the 3 MLs hit and none of them were close to hitting over a 4 qrt game.

The Michigan D vs Wisconsin O is a fascinating matchup. How many INTs will Hornibrook throw? It is weird this is a 12:00 and not a 3:30.

I'm not sure how true this is these days but I've had a healthy fear of public/trendy dogs most my gambling life. Mich seems to be very popular.

I'll admit I don't know that much about Coastal Carolina.

I do know a little about Idaho. They are involved in alot of close games. Lost by 3 to Troy, won by 8 to ULM, lost by 3 to App St, lost by 5 to ULL, won by 6 vs USA. Just seems no matter how good or bad their opponents are, Idaho finds themself in a close game, the yards are typically close as well. The 8 pt win vs ULM, Warhawks were SOD inside the I5 twice and Vandals only outgained them 518-509.

So close games are the rule in Idaho games, but that was with Sr QB Matt Linehan who was about 60y away from becoming the Vandals all time leading passer. This will be the first game without him since week 5 of 2015.

Idaho will go with Mason Petrino, coaches son who could prove to be capable, but in 2 years he has never thrown more than 5 passes in a game. Vandals will likely lean more on their experienced RBs Duckworth and Saunders. Idaho's D is respectable as an average Sun Belt unit.

Coastal Carolina has been a tough team to figure out. They were dominated at home by Texas State, then they nearly beat Arkansas. Coastal has played within one score of UAB, ULM, GaState and App St. Unfortunately they are without their #1 QB as well, Tyler Keane. His backup Kilton Anderson does have experience including the Arkansas game after Keane was injured. The running game is below average so Anderson will have to make plays.

The Coastal D isn't a good unit. The run D is about mid-pack of the league, their pass D is concerning, so not facing Linehan here could help them.

Upset isn't a given. The absence of Linehan is really what moved this up my list. But we see Idaho is always involved in close games and Coastal has shown ability to compete with teams over their head as well.

Back