Week 1 (8/30-9/3) CFB Plays and Leans Plus THE Preseason Newstories

I'm all over Uconn on that game.. I think it's a great matchup, and a great first game for them even tho its away..

Uconn returns a lot of players, and they return a top notch run game (donald brown is a beast)... he ran all over the big east, even the dominant D of Louisville.. He's going to have a cake walk with Duke, especially with their LB out..

Their QB situation is better than its been the last 3 years.. They moved last years starter DJ Hernandez to WR (thank god), which is a much better move.. it has allowed the race to be between Lorenzen and Dennis Brown, who are both very good athletes.. Lorenzen has the better arm and i believe he will start.. but D Brown put up some good numbers in a couple starts last year...

Their D-Line should be decent, but should match up well against Duke.. Duke has a fairly decent aerial attack, but Uconn's strength of D is their Secondary which has great athletes and experience..

I see Uconn dominating the game with the run which is going to keep Duke's D on the field and will enable the pass game to open up, and Uconn will keep fresh with Donald Brown, Lou Allen, and Dixon all getting the ball.. but Brown should get 25+ carries..

I have Uconn winning by DD

any questions, lemme know

I am now this close to locking up TTech at -9'. I want -9 but I think I can live with -9'.

Great practice report.

<INS class=item-body>Fall Practice Thoughts and Observations

By Seth C Section: Football
Posted on Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 06:44:15 AM EDT

</I>

We're a week into practice and I thought there were some generalities that we could make just from the practice reports alone. I'm not going to put any links or real research into this, these are just my thoughts, please feel free to add your own in the comments:
  • Why haven't we heard from Kellen Tillman, Paul Williams and Chad Hill? I'm not trying to sound derogatory here, but I haven't come across one bit of positive press about either of them. The only news I've read is about Hill is that he was returning from injury this past week. Shouldn't we be hearing about how these guys are making plays all over the field?
    Instead we are hearing about Brian Duncan, Marlon Williams, and Julius Howard. The three starters mentioned in the preceding paragraph need to step up their play and it should have started last week. Setencich has a propensity to play players with more experience, but at some point a premium should be placed on guys who can play or make plays on the field and not so much on experience. It would be nice to see these guys at the very least get a mention in the paper.
  • I think this secondary may be the most talented I can remember. Most recently Daniel Charbonnet, Darcel McBath, Chris Parker, Marcus Bunton, Joe Garcia, Pete Richardson, and Jamar Wall all got mentions in the paper last week and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. This group has the potential to be something special. I know that the defensive backs are only part of the equation, but this is a talented crew.
  • The offensive line will be fine. I know, I shouldn't be so sure of myself, but this group has talent. Offensive line coach Matt Moore moving Vasquez to tackle has cemented for me that this is a guy who wants to get the most talent on the field, regardless of preconceived notions of position. Moving Vasquez is somewhat daring for a guy who was coaching high school players last year. the one thing that Moore could have counted on was strong play from Vasquez at a position where he was comfortable, but now Vasquez is asked to learn another position and be the lineman that provides protection for Harrell's blindside. It would have been easy for Moore not to make this move, to leave things status quo, but he's obviously thinking outside the box. I have no doubt that there will be some struggles early, but this group, much like the defensive backs are as talented a group as there's been at Texas Tech. I never know how to judge how successful a program is, but one of the elements that I always try to consider is if there is much of a drop-off in talent between the group of players that was there and the group replaced the players who left? There are teams that rarely have a drop-off in talent when players graduate, and this is certainly something that Texas Tech has consistently lacked before. For the most part I think that Texas Tech has solved this problem at quarterback, running back, and wide receiver, for the most part. The offensive line is one group where this is still a question. Now, this group of linemen has an opportunity to show that they are as good as their predecessors.
  • The wide receiving group is making plays. I love it when I see Michael Crabtree's name in print more than once a week, but it's not just Crabtree that I think is important be noticed. Don Williams noted earlier in the week that wide receivers coach Dana Holgorsen wants to get players in positions to succeed and mentioned moving Ed Britton as well as Danny Amendola to get the most out of these players. Receivers Lyle Leong, Grant Walker, and Eric Morris have also gotten mentions, but I would love to see other guys mentioned, like L.A. Reed, Adrian Reese, Adam James and Grant Walker. I've thought for a while that this is a talented group and I haven't even considered the talented group of incoming freshmen.
  • Henley and Stoffels are making plays and they have to continue this trend. It seems like both Rajon and Clint are continually making plays in the backfield for the defense and that may be the best news for this team. I really don't know what to expect from this group of defensive linemen. Without putting too much pressure on these kids, I think that much of the success of this team will fall to the defensive line. Can this group muster a pass rush and can they stop the run. If this group can affirmatively answer both of these questions then there's a greater than zero chance that Texas Tech is going to have a successful year.
</INS>

Reports from ND practice:

Le sigh. Notre Dame had a (semi-?) open practice a few days ago, which is something I wish Michigan would do but doesn't. Anyway, there are some reports both amateur and professional. The recurring themes from the fans:
  • Jimmah is trailing in the QB race and his arm may still be damaged or healing.
    I personally think it looks like a race between Sharpley and Jones.​
    CW has got to be couching Clausen in an open practice. He threw 2 screens and only a couple of other mid-range passes. Even if CW does decide to not start Clausen or redshirt him, I think that Sharpley showed enough tools to be the starter, at least in practice today.​
    From what I saw today, Sharpley is the best passer of the group. From what I saw, I expect him to start against Georgia Tech. While Jones does bring a "playmaking" ability, there is a dropoff in passing ability from Sharpley to Jones.​
    After watching Clausen I don't think he is at full strength. When throwing warm up passes he seems to shake his right elbow out after most throws.​
    If Clausen's arm isn't head and shoulders above Sharpley's, a guy who Michigan totally ignored, there's got to be something wrong with his arm still. Or he was just massively overhyped.
  • The ND kicking game is a serious issue. Kickoffs got to the 10, maybe, and kickers went 6-14 on FGs.
  • The secondary is still Zbikowski-Bruton-Lambert-Wooden. Moooohahahaha.
  • Charlie Weis is a goddamn genius.
Weis is all over it as a perfectionist. Leadership is his strong suit. He even lit up an on-field security guard near us for not wearing a specific hat, as had apparently been agreed before.​
The rest is stuff that's of questionable validity in an intrasquad session. Is the OL good or the DL bad? Or vice versa? Etc. It does sound like there's no clear leader at RB, FWIW. My favorite part was the headline on the SBT article: "Can Weis shock world again?" Um... remind me what the previous world-shocking was... a win over a 7-5 Michigan team?

Don't click here.

Update on the various QB races:

You Got Three, You Got None: Updates abound this morning on quarterback races:

N.C. State: Returning starter Daniel Evans and Nebraska transfer Harrison Beck are frontrunners, but will continue to rotate with redshirt freshman Justin Burke at the Pack's next scrimmage Friday. Given Evans' titanic struggles last year - nine interceptions to one touchdown in a six-game, month-and-a-half losing streak to close the season - it's bad news that ex-blue chip Beck isn't running away with the job.

In the same article, North Carolina could draw the same conclusion about the inability of any challenger to unseat Cam Sexton, who was so bad as a redshirt freshman he was eventually shelved in favor of Joe Dailey. But UNC has no acclaimed transfer or emerging recruit in the wings, so Butch Davis is running redshirt freshman T.J. Yates along with Sexton on the first team and paying lip service to three others "vying for playing time," coachspeak for "I can't bring myself to settle for Cam Sexton."

joe-dailey.jpg

Oh my god: What if he really was the best we could do?
- - -
Pittsburgh: Briefly wayward freshman Pat Bostick was back in camp Tuesday, mostly watching the rest of the team scrimmage after some light throwing. Kid's obviously behind in the competition after his unexplained hiatus last week, but not so much that Dave Wannstedt ruled him out as the potential starter; the coach "emphatically" told reporters his opinion of Bostick hadn't changed, which may speak to the justified nature of his absence, or may reveal his lack of confidence in junior Bill Stull.

Baylor: You would think somebody would "take it and run by now," if you were Baylor offensive coordinator Lee Hays and seeking to cut a four-man competition to two, but you would also be forgetting that, well, you're assessing a group of quarterbacks who wound up at Baylor. Transfer Michael Machen came out of the spring in the top spot and would seem to be prefered because he's old (26), has the best size (6-6, 230) and brings the most starting experience, besides having actually chosen to come to Baylor with other options at his disposal, namely forging through a minor league baseball career or a less-muddled competition at Kent State.

But no, "dark horse" Blake Szymanski, punching bag of the Bears' November collapse, has apparently moved past Machen since the start of practice last week, until suffering a high ankle sprain that keeps the door open for token "athlete" and student body/cult favorite John David Weed and redshirt freshman Tyler Beatty, described by Guy Morriss as "just a puppy." A potentially first-string puppy.
UConn: At last, a decision: six-foot-five junior college transfer Tyler Lorenzen, as expected, was named the starter over Dennis Brown, about three days after Randy Edsall said "there's no hurry" in the process. Lorenzen is "a football junkie," according to his coach, which sounds destructive in the long term but is exactly the kind of undeterrable, addictive personality the Huskies need after two years of rotating lackluster Matt Bonislawski and D.J. Hernandez. The latter was so obviously out of the running with Lorenzen coming aboard in the spring, he pulled a Dailey by hightailing it to receiver.

Key offensive injuries slowing progress at Arkansas football practice

BY NATE ALLEN Northwest Arkansas Times
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
URL: http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/56122/

Subtract Marcus Monk, Peyton Hillis and Ben Cleveland from practice and yeah, David Lee says, his offense is hampered.
The Arkansas offensive coordinator was asked after Tuesday night’s practice about the injury-related absences of his leading receiver, best receiving fullback / H-back and best receiving tight end maybe hampering his Razorback offensive plans.
Those are big cogs out of the machine even with All-American running backs Darren McFadden, this week’s Sports Illustrated cover subject, and Felix Jones and cat-quick reserve running back healthy and on hand.
“ Hampered ?! ” Lee exclaimed. “ Hampered !? Fellas, we came here with a Marcus Monk package and a Peyton Hillis package and Ben Cleveland moving to tight end. And that’s all on hold right now. So we are trying to find other ways to get Felix Jones on the field with Darren McFadden, even looking at Michael Smith. So what was Plan A has become Plan B due to three key injuries. ”
Hillis should be back in a couple of days after “ tweaking” his hamstring last Monday, head coach Houston Nutt said.
Split end Monk is out at least through the Sept. 1 season-opener with Troy and probably then some after undergoing arthroscopic surgery for cartilage damage in his right knee.
Cleveland has what football folks call a “ stinger” but the lingering pinched nerve between his shoulder and neck creates concern as he continues to be unable to practice.
Temporarily replacing Monk at split end continues to be “ throw somebody out there and hope they stick ” as sophomore London Crawford, Camden’s Rod Coleman, Osceola’s Chris Baker, Greenwood’s Lucas Miller and true freshman Crosby Tuck of Shiloh Christian keep experiencing various ups and downs, though the receivers have been trying to step up since Monk’s Monday’s surgery, Nutt said.
At flanker, little Reggie Fish is stepping up big and ranks ahead of senior Robert Johnson, receivers coach Alex Wood said Monday and Lee reiterated Tuesday.
“ Reggie is the best, ” Lee said Tuesday, “ at getting off the line of scrimmage and getting to the top of his route and separating. If he would just consistently finish the play and catch the ball, we would really have something. But Reggie Fish is the guy I trust to get open. ”
As for Johnson, Lee replied, “ Robert has struggled. We chart them every day and he’s dropping a few too many balls. ”
However Johnson did separate to catch a bomb from starting quarterback Casey Dick during Tuesday’s team period.
Nutt mentioned Johnson, Crawford and Tuck all making plays Tuesday.
Freshman Nathan Dick outperformed all the quarterbacks during last Saturday’s scrimmage but returning backup Nathan Emert has gotten more work this week behind junior starter Casey Dick.
There’s a reason for that, Lee explained while also explaining Nathan Dick’s practice time is due for an upgrade.
“ Nathan Dick had a really good scrimmage the other night, ” Lee said. “ He’s probably not getting enough work as the third quarterback only because his knowledge is limited of what we are trying to do right now. ”
Nathan Dick had never scrimmaged under center until last Saturday, Lee said, after being all shotgun all the time at Allen, Texas.
“ He didn’t do bad for the first time, ” Lee said. “ He had a real good scrimmage and likely will get more work. ”
In the meantime, Lee wants to scrutinize why Emert, who last week battled strep throat and some injuries, hasn’t matched in August the productivity he displayed last spring.
“ We wanted to get him at least semi-well, ” Lee said, “ and give him Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and give him some snaps and evaluate him because he hasn’t had a really good camp so far. ”
Junior defensive end Antwain Robinson, a starter last season and voted Preseason third-team All-SEC by the league’s coaches, started climbing out of the coaches’ doghouse Tuesday. Nagged both by injuries and by dissatisfaction expressed last week by defensive coordinator Reggie Herring and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker, Robinson returned to practice Tuesday after being out since last Friday.
He worked second team as Adrian Davis and Van Stumon worked the firstteam flanks.
Chris Wade, recently promoted to first team, is still recovering from a concussion he suffered last week.
Star ting senior r ight offensive tackle Nate Garner also is concussion-idled.
Backup Mark Aguirre and versatile starting right guard Robert Felton took turns at right tackle Tuesday.
Playing Felton at tackle created more first-team time for redshirt freshman DeMarcus Love at guard.
Love pushes junior Mitch Petrus at first-team left guard.
Though still likely to be withheld from the season-opener, senior starting defensive tackle Marcus Harrison did test his surgically repaired knee with some contact drills Tuesday.
“ I still have to get in shape, ” Harrison said.
The Razorbacks are changing their nights-only practice routine with a 10 a. m. drill today at the Walker Pavilion.

Added:

For reasons, look to Horns' LSU reloads and MSU sucks consistently line of reasoning. Also see that LSU is 80% ATS when beating the shit out MSU. Last year they failed to cover the line (-32), but still won by 30....or something like that.

16' is a great number for Game 1 of the Les Miles ass kicking campaign.

16' is an excellent number for the kickoff party of Les Miles' Ass Kicking campaign. Also, remember last season LSU was covering that 32pt spread 4 minutes into the 2ndQ, but a rain delay caused LSU to retun to the field lethargic and really not caring. IMO no rain = LSU win ATS last year. Btw, off the top of my head, I think last year was the first in 8 years that LSU didn't cover vs Miss St

:cheers:

rj,

I know that seems like a lot of points, but they just turn the ball over so damn much...can't touch them here...

Top point (SC's OL) has been reported by numerous sources, as well as the problems/shake up in FSU's OL. However, I think there is not much issue with FSU's OL so much as competition is getting fierce and the new OL coach is shaking up positions (hence loss of Hardick).

Does Spurrier have problems on the O-line?

By Tony Barnhart | Monday, August 20, 2007, 07:37 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
It’s getting close.
With only 10 days left before the opener between LSU and Mississippi State, here are five things we think we know from the first two weeks of practice:
1. Steve Spurrier is really concerned about his offensive line. Spurrier’s entire offensive system is based on giving his quarterback enough time to make the reads and for his receivers to run very precise routes. If Spurrier has to keep an extra body or two in the backfield to protect his quarterback, then the offense is not nearly as effective. If the problem is not solved by Sept. 8, when South Carolina goes to Georgia, then Spurrier will pull in the reins and try to win a very low scoring, defensive game.
2. Nick Saban downplays everything with the media. That’s okay because what coaches do. But it is significant if place kicker Jamie Christensen of Norcross does not answer the bell on Sept. 1 against Western Carolina. Christensen, who missed several games with a groin injury last season, suffered a strained quadriceps muscle last week. He has proven to be a clutch kicker and with Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Georgia, and Florida State in consecutive weeks in September, it’s fair to say that Alabama will be in some close games. Maybe Leigh Tiffin can make those kicks. We’ll see.
3. This would be a very good time to own a bar in Baton Rouge and season tickets to LSU football.
How good is this home schedule: Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas? And the Tigers will probably be favored to win every one of them.
Here’s another question: You think they might be able to sell a few tickets to a Southern Cal-LSU national championship game in New Orleans? How big would that be?
4. Florida State needs to be tougher on the offensive line. While everyone is looking at the quarterbacks-Drew Weatherford and Xavier Lee-the reality is that the Seminoles may not be good enough on the offensive line to do what new OC Jimbo Fisher wants to do. Florida State was No. 103 nationally in rushing last season (96.54 ypg). LSU, where Fisher worked in 2006, averaged 165.77 yards per game rushing even though it had a quarterback and two wide receivers that were picked in the first round of the NFL draft. Fisher’s offense won’t work if there is no running threat.
5. Eric Berry is the real deal. The freshman cornerback from Fairburn (Creekside) has impressed coaches with his athleticism and football knowledge. He is competing with sophomore Marsalous Johnson for a starting cornerback’s job. Conventional wisdom says you shouldn’t start a freshman on the road against a California offense the scored 32.85 points per game last season. But Berry might be one of those guys who goes against conventional wisdom

There's a few stories coming out of Austin that are giving me good hope about UT's D this year.

For those that do not remember Texas' D last year, the strength of their D was believed to be the secondary with Ross and both Griffin brothers returning and other key players there to provide seasoning. The D line was also expect to be very good with 2 solid DEs and up and coming DTs Lokey and Okam. The real question mark were the LBs who lost a few key players from 2005 and would be starting or playing true and RS freshmen.

That was in the pre-season.

Over the course of the year, the DL played fantastic--particularly because it was backed up by LBs and even safeties who dropped down to sell out against the run. Texas finished #4 against the run allowing approx. 80 ypg. However, selling out against the run in Chizik's system led to soft zone or man on man coverage by the secondary and Texas--usually DB U--got torched and finished near #100 against the pass. The LBs also did not do well falling back into pass coverage and sacks decreased from 2005.

Chizik has left but Larry MacDuff, former ST coach for the 49ers, and long time defensive coach and co-DC Duane Akina will have a seemingly different approach this year. First, there are few starting positions on D that have been sewn up. With the exception of Okam and maybe the other DT, everyone is playing for time and may be rotated as starters over the course of the year. Akina (DB coach) and MacDuff (LB coach) say that they haven't decided which players will start at these positions and are right now are trying different combinations and rotating players.

Second, it appears that selling out against the run is now gone. In its' place is a more aggressive blitzing and hitting attack. In scrimmages, Colt McCoy has said that playing against the D has been challenging because any player could blitz at any time and they were blitzing every down. The LBs have also been instructed to be more physical than they had been last year, particularly in pass protection. Receivers might get the ball, but the LBs have been instructed to make them remember the hit.

I'm looking for a more traditional Texas D--allowing approximately 120 ypg rushing, decreasing pass yards to 180 or 190 allowed, and increasing sacks with pressure and intimidation.

RJ, how many points do you think Baylor will need to score to cover this game and do you think they can get there with a QB that was below average in the MAC?

No lookahead for TCU here; yeah, they won't show much, but that SMU loss a couple years back will have them fully focused here.

Baylor should be bad this year...even for them.

I think Baylor needs to score 7-10 to cover. Line is up to 22 now and I think that TCU with a new QB and heavy offensive losses will struggle to score 30.

yeahhhhhh...thinking the matchup of Baylor's offense and TCU's defense is one of the bigger week 1 mismatches...would expect a lot of short fields for the TCU offense.

30 to 7 sounds about right.

I personally would not touch that TCU - Baylor game. It's too close to call, but even if I had to pick a side...it'd probably be TCU.

Some Arkansas news. Also look at injury notes in the injury thread. Everything still looking good.

News & Notes

Jump to Comments *QB Nathan Emert has all but been replaced as backup by Nathan Dick
*FB Peyton Hillis has returned to practice after tweaking his hamstring
*Kicker Alex Tejada and Punter Jeremy Davis were named starters at their respective positions
*Sophomore TE Andrew Davie and junior QB Nathan Emert have earned Scholarships
*QB Alex Mortensen, a letterman from the 2005 squad, returned to the team Tuesday as a member of the scout team.

Tonight is the last scrimmage for SC, it will be closed to the public and will likely see a lot of 1 vs. 1 action, something that hasnt happened often in scrimmages so far this yr. Key move last night was Gutmier Thind being moved to guard. He started at left tackle the first 2 games of last yr until going down with a foot injury and was praised all spring/summer for his pass blocking. What ended up happening was that he does not have quick enough feet for a tackle in the SEC nor can he pass the two starting ones currently on the team so I think he came to an agreement with the staff to try guard out. There is a chance that he could be the missing link they need at guard.

Did you see Blake's wonderful pick before half yet? How bout Nathan Pepper fatting around and getting caught from behind? AHHH... I broke a lot that day

Came in in the 3rd quarter, so I missed Blake. But I saw Pepper.

I don't understand why players don't finish plays.

Both these teams are cursed. They're both pretty good but they never put forth a consistent effort and fade at odd times.

Came in in the 3rd quarter, so I missed Blake. But I saw Pepper.

I don't understand why players don't finish plays.

Both these teams are cursed. They're both pretty good but they never put forth a consistent effort and fade at odd times.

amen to that.

With 10 days to go, finally bit:

Adding
Michigan St -19 (-110)

Line has risen and think will continue to rise in the coming week. However, I think it has value up to 21.

Kinne to redshirt

By Alan Trubow | Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
Brown reaffirmed that John Chiles will be the No. 2 quarterback, saying there isn’t a competition for the spot with Sherrod Harris nursing an injury.
“G.J. (Kinne) we’re going to try to redshirt,” Brown said. “Sherrod we’re going to try to get well.”
Both first-stringer Colt McCoy and Chiles received praise for their play during Wednesday’s scrimmage.
“Colt was the same as he’s been all camp,” Brown said. “He’s been very accurate.”

Gatewood playing WR

By Alan Trubow | Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 09:24 PM
While the Longhorns’ coaches have been using freshmen to fill holes at receiver left by injuries, they also have moved over a veteran defender.
“We’ve also worked Tyrell Gatewood some,” Brown said of the senior safety. “He’s been a receiver so we worked him back in that position where he’s playing both ways. He’s playing safety, he’s on just about every kick team and he also played a little bit of receiver. In fact he jumped up and made a great catch in the rain.”

I think that it is pretty clear from the stories coming out of Austin that Chiles will not redshirt this year and will come in as Colt's backup and perhaps in other roles.

Brown on Chiles "you'll like what you see."

Texas' backup QB is expected to thrill with his feet when he comes in for starter Colt McCoy

By Suzanne Halliburton
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, August 23, 2007

The quarterback talk coming out of the Longhorns' training camp is very similar to the preseason chatter generated this time five years ago.

Back then, Texas coaches were buzzing about freshman sensation Vince Young, the quarterback who could outrun the defensive backs, but who had yet to figure out how to consistently beat them in the passing game.

Freshman John Chiles, who is set to back up sophomore Colt McCoy, is generating a similar buzz. The only difference between then and now is that no one expected the very raw Young to play as a freshman, since Chris Simms and Chance Mock were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Chiles almost certainly will play, taking snaps as the second-team quarterback as early as Sept. 1, when fourth-ranked Texas opens the football season against Arkansas State. He moved to second string behind McCoy when redshirt freshman Sherrod Harris sprained his knee Aug. 12 during the first session of two-a-days.

"I think you'll be pleased with what you see," Texas coach Mack Brown said Wednesday regarding Chiles' progress.

It's likely Chiles' most pleasing plays will be made first with his feet. That's where he's drawing the quiet comparisons to Young, although some don't want to burden Chiles with such heavy expectations.

"He's got the same breakaway speed," said Texas tailback Jamaal Charles, the fastest guy on the team. "He's just like V.Y. There's no way you can tackle him in the open field."

Young could make linebackers from Rice to Oklahoma look as though they were running through mud.

He rushed for 3,127 career yards, averaging 7.15 per carry. In Young's first game at Texas, offensive coordinator Greg Davis sent him in with a small repertoire of plays, with far more runs than passes.

Young completed his lone pass for 60 yards and ran five times for 61.
His accuracy in the intermediate passing game didn't come for two more years.

Expect the same sort of plan for Chiles. His passing abilities lag behind his running skills, although Texas coaches and players say he's making significant progress with his arm as he studies coverages and protection schemes.

"John, he's getting pretty good," said receiver Nate Jones. "He's got a tremendous arm. He can throw the deep ball. The other day, he completed a 60-yard pass on the run."

When he arrived at Texas last January, Chiles was given the same three-inch thick playbook as McCoy.

He was expected to learn every play through 15 days of spring practices and skeleton passing drills in the summer.

Coaches are now in the process of whittling down Chiles' offensive package to find what he does best. If he progresses as expected, his package of plays will grow more diverse throughout the season.
McCoy started last season in much the same way.

Davis said McCoy was entrusted with the full gamut of pass plays by halftime of last year's Texas-Oklahoma game. In the third quarter against the Sooners, McCoy read a blitz and audibled for a touchdown pass to Limas Sweed. Later, he checked down to a wheel route to Jordan Shipley for a score.

Overall, McCoy tied a national freshman record with 29 touchdown passes. His completion rate of 68.2 percent set a school record. Players say McCoy has been even more accurate in August workouts.

Chiles, because he is a freshman and has yet to play a game, has been off limits to the media.

Earlier this week, Davis offered a glimpse into some of the plays Chiles runs well. As expected, the youngster excels at the draw and the zone read, the obvious plays that take advantage of his speed. Those have been in the playbook since 2003, but weren't called much for McCoy last fall, since he was more comfortable throwing than running.

As August ticks down, Chiles is impressing coaches as he displays the nuances needed to be an effective quarterback.

Davis said Chiles is improving in "confidence, manner in the huddle, the way he presents the play, just his attitude."

shalliburton@statesman.com; 445-3954

Here is some recap from the last scrimmage and most likely last hitting for them until game time.

SCRIMMAGE STATISTICS

RUSHING: Mike Davis 6-23, Brian Maddox 5-40, Patrick DiMarco 5-12, Blake Mitchell 4-(-7), Chris Smelley 1-(-6), Tommy Beecher 3-(-4), Bryan Kingrey 2-12.

PASSING: Blake Mitchell 8-12-0, 78 yards, 1 TD; Tommy Beecher 4-6-0, 20 yards, 1 TD; Chris Smelley 12-16-1, 169 yards, 3 TD's.

RECEIVING: Mark Barnes 1-19, 1 TD; Weslye Saunders 2-56, 1 TD; Larry Freeman 2-13, 1 TD; Dion Lecorn 1-4, Mike Davis 1-8, Clark Gaston 2-7, Patrick DiMarco 1-6, Nick Prochak 1-18, Kenny McKinley 1-9, Matt Clements 2-6, Chris Culliver 4-68, 1 TD; Paul Haile 1-7 Robert Pavlovic 1-9, Lanard Stafford 1-3, 1 TD, Taylor Rank 2-23.

SCORING PLAYS:
Weslye Saunders 46-yard pass from Chris Smelley (Ryan Succop kick)
Chris Culliver 35-yard pass from Smelley (Succop kick)
Lanard Stafford 3-yard pass from Tommy Beecher (Succop kick)
Mark Barnes 19-yard pass from Smelley (Hooper kick)
Larry Freeman 5-yard pass from Blake Mitchell (Lanning kick)

Cory Boyd did not play but is healthy.
Jasper Brinkley did not play, has a sprained ankle that happened last Wednesday. Most likely sitting until Monday. Will be ready for game time.
Mike Davis banged up his shoulder a little bit. Davis has a bruised Collarbone...X ray Negative...Needs a few days rest....
Joseph Hills (frosh wr) should return to practice Monday, was out with a sprained knee for most of camp.

Some article quotes.

"The quarterbacks worked behind an improved offensive line that featured LT Jamon Meredith, LG Gurminder Thind, C William Brown, RG James Thompson and RT Justin Sorensen as the first-team unit."

"Our offensive line did some good things here and there and struggled a lot at other times," Spurrier said. "But maybe that's because we have a pretty good D-Line. I don't know yet. We have to go play the opponents and then we'll find out exactly where we are."

Added Smelley: "The first-team offensive line is really coming together. I think they'll be fine come game time. The line was giving the quarterback some time to throw. It was a better day."

"Mike Davis (six carries for 23 yards) and Brian Maddox (five carries for 40 yards) led USC's rushing attack. Davis, however, "dinged up" his shoulder, according to Spurrier, but should be okay. He will have it evaluated by team doctors Thursday."

"Culliver caught four passes for 68 yards, including a 35-yard touchdown from quarterback Chris Smelley, in the final scrimmage of fall camp at Williams-Brice Stadium. Culliver led an offensive revival during the 61-play session that saw USC's three veteran quarterbacks combine to complete 24-of-34 passes for 267 yards and five touchdowns."

Last edited:
Final Depth Chart Projection: Offense

by HornsFan Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 10:40:27 AM EDT

Way back at the beginning of June, we took a stab at projecting the offensive depth chart. Now, finally, the Texas staff has announced that they will release on Monday morning the official depth chart for Arkansas State. Let's take a look at June's depth chart projection and note what might have changed since then.

<CENTER>BON June Projected Depth Chart: Offense</CENTER>

<CENTER>
depthchartoffensesmall.bmp
</CENTER>

WHAT'S CHANGED

QB McCoy is of course still your starter, but Sherrod Harris' injury moves Chiles to the #2 spot while Harris recovers. Considering the stated importance of getting the backup meaningful snaps this season, Chiles will see the playing field against Arkansas State. It's tough to figure what happens to Harris now, though a lot of it probably depends on his timetable for a full recovery. He's missed over a dozen practices now, which means sliding back into the #2 slot is an uphill climb.

RB No change. Vondrell McGee has played so well during fall camp that he and Ogbonnaya will likely split the backup carries. This is as strong a trio of running backs as Texas has boasted since the 2005 Rose Bowl, when JC, a healthy Selvin, and Ramonce Taylor were taking turns running alongside VY.

TE No change. Jermichael Finley's the main man, and Greg Davis will likely use some 2 TE sets, keeping Ullman in to block while releasing Finley down the field for receptions. Blaine Irby is a talented young player, and if injury befalls either Finley or Ullman, the coaches won't hesitate to burn his redshirt.

Flanker Pittman's out with a shoulder injury, which means Nate Jones is a probable starter. That's hardly a bad thing, as he's had as good a fall camp as any receiver on the team.

Sub B Wideout This is Quan's job, and I expect he and Colt to pick up a lot of first downs together. Look for James Kirkendoll, a true freshman, to make the two-deep and be used in this role. Kid can really burn.

Split End The million dollar question on this team right now concerns the injury to Limas Sweed's wrist. How hurt is he? Pray, pray, pray that he's fine. I'm sure he'll play, regardless, but we need him at 100%. Keep an eye on true freshman Malcolm Williams, a 6-3 beast of a receiver who will be groomed to take over for Limas after graduation. I fully expect him to play this season.

LT Senior Tony Hills will protect Colt's blind side, while true freshman Tray Allen will likely be his backup. If that sounds a little scary to you, it should, but try to remember just how VHT Allen is. He wasn't labeled the state's best OL prospect in a decade for nothing.

LG We projected Chris Hall to win this job, and he has. Not only has he won the job, he's elevated his game to a point where Mac McWhorter and Greg Davis are downright raving about his performance. Charlie Tanner will still play behind Hall.

C Senior Dallas Griffin is still your starter, but it's important to remember that the team is grooming Buck Burnette to be the 2008 starter, so he'll be getting significant minutes as well. Burnette reportedly suffered a concussion this summer, so keep an eye on his injury status. Texas desperately needs him to be ready for games this fall.

RG One of the most important developments of the summer was Cedric Dockery's rehab from knee surgery, and he's reportedly all the way back. Terrific news for Texas, if true. Dockery was playing terrific football before he went down against OU; if he's fine for the fall, Texas' line is in much better shape than pessimists will have you believe. Backing up Dockery will likely be true freshman Michael Huey. This isn't so much an indictment of depth as it is a statement of Huey's competence. He's big, mean, and as technically sound as any freshman lineman to roll through Texas.

RT Adam Ulatoski was rather rudely inserted into the starting lineup last season when Dockery went down. He wasn't quite ready to be a full-time starter, but the on-the-job training - problematic last season - puts Texas in a better spot in 2007. Ulatoski has the size and strength to excel at the position, and he's reportedly improved his footwork and technical mastery of the position. The tackle spots are a problem depth-wise, but if the starters do stay healthy? It's a team strength. It's unclear who will back up Ulatoski at this point. Britt Mitchell and Kyle Hix are in the mix.

Final Depth Chart Projection: Defense

by HornsFan Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 11:20:37 AM EDT

We'll continue with a look at June's defensive depth chart projection and an analysis of what to expect when the Arkansas State depth chart is released tomorrow morning

<CENTER>BON June Projected Depth Chart: Defense
depthchartdefensesmall.bmp
</CENTER>

WHAT'S CHANGED

DEs No change. Texas essentially has four starters, which will help keep everyone fresh and allow Akina to keep bringing the heat from the edge. From a pass rush standpoint, this is an elite group. We still need to see how they fulfill their run-stopping responsibilities, but it's nothing I'm worried about. Mack Brown has recruited this position as well, or better, than any other on the field.

DTs No change. Okam, Lokey, and Miller are each all-conference players. Thomas Marshall is a solid fifth-year player who can steal minutes, but look for Ben Alexander to start getting solid reps as well. The depth here is fine for 2007, but with Okam and Lokey graduating, the Andre Jones arrest becomes problematic.

OLBs Derry will assuredly start weakside, with Killebrew being your starter strongside. For all the talk about Killebrew improving, he'll have to prove it on the field to hold off exciting young talent behind him. I thought Muckelroy might supplant Killebrew before the season opener, but the coaches seem intent on remaining with the status quo, at least for now.

MLBs Bobino remains the starter, and though he led the team in TFLs last year, he was blocked far too often last season. Bobino must keep himself free to make plays. Jared Norton has had a strong fall camp and will serve as backup.

CBs Brandon Foster has been all the rave this fall, and though it's a feel-good story, he's vastly undersized. He does have great speed, and as a fifth-year senior, experience, but if he's not as good as advertised, Texas will turn to younger options. On the right side, Beasley may still win the job, but a lot of observers think Chykie Brown is more ready. Brown has better size; I wouldn't be surprised if this job becomes his. True freshmen Ben Wells and Curtis Brown may not redshirt and could see important minutes this fall if injury befalls the starters. Ryan Palmer will also be in the rotation, though playing Foster and Palmer together would be a disaster.

Safeties Marcus Griffin is the starter at strong safety and is playing tremendous football, if you believe the reports coming from camp. Two seniors - Drew Kelson and Erick Jackson - will battle for the free safety starting job. Some think Jackson's won the job already.

Special Teams No real change here, unless Gerland loses his job to walk-on Justin Moore.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Keep an eye on the weather in Austin and another on the line. 50% chance of thunderstorms forecasted, but we're a week out.

Rain on the big parade?

Sunday, August 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe Mother Nature isn’t ready for college football season (unlike the rest of us). Somewhat appropos of our unusually wet summer, Saturday includes a disturbingly high chance of rain.
Don’t cancel the tailgate or turn off the sprinkler system just yet, but you’d best keep an eye on the forecast.
Picture%203.png

Looks like the rain will most likely fall earlier in the day (soggy field?), with clearing that evening.

The game is a 6 pm local start.

Daytime forecast:
map_wkpln_day7_3ussc_enus_440x297.jpg

Night forecast:
map_wkpln_night7_3ussc_enus_440x297.jpg

It's a very wide system. Look at Dallas (TTech v. SMU) and Memphis (Ole Miss v. Memphis).

While we're talking weather, LSU v. Miss St is expecting 60% showers and thunderstorms Thursday night.

Rain Thursday across all the South and East on Thursday.

Rain Saturday across all the South on Saturday.

Added:

WVU/WMU Over 53 (-110)
USC 1H -26' (-110)

Waiting for Texas to hit -21' or -22 1H and I'll bite.

Austin, TX weather update:

<TABLE class=boxB id=full cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">
chancerain.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Saturday
Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">
nt_chancerain.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dallas, TX weather update:

<TABLE class=boxB id=full cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">
cloudy.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Friday Night through Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Highs in the lower 90s.

Auburn, AL weather update:

partlysunny.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Saturday
Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Chance of rain 20 percent.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">
nt_partlycloudy.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Saturday Night
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 10 percent.

Starkville, MS weather update:

chancerain.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Thursday
Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny in the morning...then becoming partly cloudy. Highs around 90. The chance of rain 40 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_chancerain.GIF
</TD><TD id=full style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 1px solid">Thursday Night
Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. The chance of rain 40 percent.

Athens, GA weather updae:

chancerain.GIF
Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s.

nt_partlycloudy.GIF
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s.

Cats and dogs living together:

Fullback fun

By Alan Trubow | Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 11:51 AM

One of the big surprises when the Longhorns released their two-deep roster Monday was there was a fullback position listed.

That hasn’t been the case around these parts recently.

Perhaps a bigger surprise was one team that had no fullback listed in its two-deep roster: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/08/fullbacks_left_off_depth_chart.html”>Michigan

Michigan with no fullback? Texas with a fullback?

We could be in for a weird year in college football

Cats and dogs living together:

Fullback fun

By Alan Trubow | Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 11:51 AM

One of the big surprises when the Longhorns released their two-deep roster Monday was there was a fullback position listed.

That hasn’t been the case around these parts recently.

Perhaps a bigger surprise was one team that had no fullback listed in its two-deep roster: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/08/fullbacks_left_off_depth_chart.html”>Michigan

Michigan with no fullback? Texas with a fullback?

We could be in for a weird year in college football

I posted the UM depthchart in my thread with no fullback. Very shocking to say the least.

RJ - Wish you the best this season. As usual I'm behind in my preparation, but working hard to catch up and still handicapping baseball on a daily basis. I've had a great baseball season and hope it will carry over into the foots. I played Texas -37 so far as my only play, and have been waiting to see the 1h line but figure I won't get it at 21 or less. Looks like a good spot for Cal at home vs. Tenn in a revenge game as well. BOL look forward to chewing over the games with you.

Thanks, Tim.

Texas 1H came out at -21.5 and has juiced up to -115. I'm waiting for -21.5 or -22 without the hook.

Bookmaker is the only one I've seen it up at.

I'm waiting for The Greek. Thought they'd be up today.

Back