Week 1 (8/30-9/3) CFB Plays and Leans Plus THE Preseason Newstories

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Might as well get this thread going to save time later.

2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
0-0

This year I'll use the same strategy that I used last year which seemed to work pretty well.

All plays are 5 units unless otherwise stated and a unit is $100.

Plays Locked In
LSU -16' (-110)
Troy +25 (-110)
Texas -37' (-110)
UVA -4 (-110)
TTech -9' (-110)
Michigan St -19 (-110)
WVU/WMU Over 53 (-110)
USC 1H -26' (-110)
Texas 1H -21' (-110) ($1,000)
Mizzou -4 (-110)

Leans

UConn -5'
Iowa -11
Mizzou -6
Baylor +21
Texas 1H

Last edited:
Sounds good, Troy. Taking my time as usual with Week 1. I'll have 2 or 3 locked in this week but will take my time with the rest.

I'll look for you around AIM.

looks good, I would consider moving now on USC, Texas and LSU rather than later. Its hard to see those lines getting better and should all float higher.

Added:

LSU -16' (-110)

Money finally hit the Greek and found that the line is ticking up. Wanted to hit it before it got to 17 and, even if Baton Rouge blows up, I can sell at a higher number later for a middle, etc.

For reasons, look to Horns' LSU reloads and MSU sucks consistently line of reasoning. Also see that LSU is 80% ATS when beating the shit out MSU. Last year they failed to cover the line (-32), but still won by 30....or something like that.

16' is a great number for Game 1 of the Les Miles ass kicking campaign.

Texas' RBs? Charles, Ogbannaya, and McGee--in that order.

BREAKING: Ogbonnaya #2 Tailback!

by HornsFan Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 04:48:12 PM EDT

Joseph Duarte's filed a note confirming that Chris Ogbonnaya is the #2 tailback for Texas.

Pardon me while I pause to do a few cartwheels...

(Okay, much better.) Obviously, this excites me. From the Chronicle:
Chris Ogbonnaya has established himself as the No. 2 tailback in the UT backfield, running backs coach Ken Rucker said Tuesday.

Ogbonnaya, a junior from Strake Jesuit, will assume the important role of serving as the backup to Jamaal Charles. The extent of Ogbonnaya's experience at Texas: 40 rushing attempts for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

"Right now, Chris Ogbonnaya is our backup tailback," Rucker said. "We still are working the other guys and we'll figure out their roles as we go. Right now Chris has established that position coming out of spring ball.

"He's an older guy and has been very faithful and very loyal to that position and to this team. He has done a great job being a leader for us."

If you've read this site for any period of time, you know how I feel about Chris "Priest Holmes Returns" Ogbonnaya. While I think redshirt freshman Vondrell McGee's got a very bright future in front of him, I love the idea of using Ogbonnaya prominently. McGee's time will come.
Man, it's good to be talking football again.

You think you will get Troy at the numbers your looking for? It has drooped 1.5 since open. I too am waiting to see it go back up a bit and may play it.

Georgia...strong feeling there or no. I liked Okie getting 9ish when it opened but its a no play for me as of now.

BAR--

All the action right now is by sharps and addicts like us. So, smart early money is on Troy driving it from 28 to 26' and 26. My feeling is that Arkansas is going to get public love the closer we get to the game (alot of McFadden and Wildcat groupies out there) driving the line up to 27 or 28. 30 might be too ambitious.

With Okie State, the conventional wisdom is awesome offense and average defense. I'm looking at this game like Boise v. Georgia (48-13 win) a couple of years ago or S. Carolina going into Athens 2 years ago (17-15 win), but that is a rivalry game. Playing between the hedges is a tough place for opposing teams to play.

Okie State will put up some points but they're going against one of the better SEC defenses, one better than Alabama in the Independence Bowl last year (34-31 OSU win). Georgia may only have 4 defensive starters returning, but should not be much worse than the 17.6 ppg they allowed last year. I think they'll average 18-20 ppg allowed this year.

Against OSU at home, I Georgia will allow 21 or 24 points.

However, Georgia's offense returns 7 including Stafford with a year of experience under his belt. Even with all of last year's offensive woes, Georgia still averaged nearly 26 ppg. This year, I think they'll average around 30 and maybe a little more.

Against OSU's defense, a defense that returns 7 starters but loses ALL defensive linemen from a group that allowed 4 ypc, I think Georgia will be able to dictate pace of play--which may help keep that powerful OSU offense off the field. OSU's defensive strength is their back 7 with all starters returning. Last year they averaged 26 ppg allowed and this year, they should average about the same.

I think OSU allows UGA to score 28 or 31.

So.......the line may be right on. And why it is a lean at 7 points.

Another lean that may be stronger with the line going up is KSU (+13' right now) on the road against Auburn. At 14 points or better I think KSU is the value play.

You're an information machine. keep all your up to the minute info coming. every time i see your sig on a thread i know i will learn something new. appreciate it. good luck this year brother.

Thanks, Vegaskyle.

Interesting point here in this article:

Celebration penalties on kickoffs could hurt

<SW_PHOTOS>By Roger Clarkson | Staff Writer | Story updated at 11:38 PM on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

<MCC STORY>Of this year's rules changes in college football, coaches have talked about the kickoff being pushed back to the 30-yard line the most.

Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez found one of the less-ballyhooed aspects of the rule change.

Since the kickoff is at the 30, then a celebration penalty will push the line of scrimmage to the 15-yard line, which means even an average return likely would give the offense the ball across midfield.

"Field position is huge," Martinez said. "You get a 15-yard personal foul penalty after a touchdown, then all of the sudden you're kicking off at the 15. That's something that could hurt us."

FSU QB Situation from Jimbo Fisher:

Big Fish Is Gettin' Very Nervous!: Jimbo Fisher's eraly impressions of surely-improving-by-now quarterbacks Drew Weatherford and Xavier Lee?

"I'll fire them if I have to."

Aside from fueling "F$U LOL" threads on Florida boards, Fisher was (presumably) blowing highly-motivating smoke in favor of redshirt freshman Christian Ponder and his "toughness and intelligence," leading the Tampa Tribune to declare, "QB Race Gets 3rd Entrant." The new offensive coordinator compares his terminating prowess to George Steinbrenner's, and his veteran quarterbacks to Billy Martin, supposedly intimating he's not afraid to let them go if he wants to take the offense in a new direction.
But, as Fisher notes, Steinbrenner fired Martin about four times, and it's my guess - probably everybody's guess - that's at least as many times as Fisher will alternate between Weatherford and Lee before Ponder or DeVontray Richardson crosses his mind when "mentally and physically do[ing] things" is more than empty rhetoric.

Longhorn Notes from the Houston Chronicle:

Decision close on Chiles?

<OBJECT id=divaudio2 codeBase=http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0 height=47 width=335 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=1514037-108" width="335" height="47" name="divaudio2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></OBJECT>

AUSTIN - There are three options on the table for highly-touted recruit John Chiles.

-- He could be the No. 2 quarterback for the Longhorns this season.

-- He could lose the job to redshirt freshman Sherrod Harris and opt to switch to wide receiver to get on the field faster.
<TABLE width=75 align=right border=0>
<TBODY><TR><TD>
chiles_john_175.jpg

John Chiles
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

-- He could redshirt this season, preserving all four years of college eligibility.

We should have an answer by the end of next week.
Offensive coordinator Greg Davis said Wednesday night that he would prefer to "make a decision in about 10 or 11 days on who's No. 2."

Davis said Chiles and Harris have both looked good during the opening week of training camp. Chiles has given no indication that he is contemplating a position switch.

If you read between the lines it sounds like there is a possibility Chiles, if he doesn't win the backup quarterback job, could still be on the field this season.

"Right now, John is a quarterback," Davis said. "That's where he's at right now. We've got to find a No. 2. If he's that guy then obviously he needs to be there. If not, then with his talent, we've got to think about something else. We told John it would be his decision."

At some point in the coming week, coach Mack Brown and Davis probably will sit down with Chiles and map out what direction to go.

When asked if Chiles could redshirt, Davis said, "that's certainly a possibility."

Where would you like to see Chiles this season?

• • •​

Davis said the Longhorns have been working more out of the I-formation during the early part of training camp. He said the Longhorns worked out of the I-formation 21 percent of the time last season.

• • •​

Upon further review, top recruit Tray Allen is working exclusive at left tackle in workouts. Although there is no official depth chart, Allen is currently No. 2 behind Tony Hills. Kyle Hix is working at right tackle behind Adam Ulatoski.
Davis said Allen reminds him of a young version of Justin Blalock because of his strength and intelligence. "I think at some point he'll be able to do both, but right now he needs to be a tackle," Davis said.
• • •​

Davis praised the early play of redshirt freshman Josh Marshall, who converted to tight end during the spring. "I think the move that we made in the spring is really paying off," he said. "There was a time the other night when we were looking at tape and I said, 'That's a really a good route by Jermichael.' Coach (Bruce) Chambers said, 'Yeah, but that's Josh Marshall.'"

• • •​

Freshman Blaine Irby is playing both the tight end position and at a backside fullback position when the Longhorns go with a two-tight end set.

Article re new LSU OC Crowton getting along well. Well, he does have talent to work with.

By RANDY ROSETTA
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Aug 9, 2007 - Page: 1C
Carefully, almost diplomatically, LSU offensive coordinator Gary Crowton digests one question after another.
Talking about his philosophy, but not in intricate detail.
Explaining his relationship with a head coach who comes from a very different offensive background.
Insisting that his time at LSU isn’t a stepping stone to another head-coaching opportunity because his task with the Tigers is the only thing in his view right now.
Careful, diplomatic, almost tentative.
But don’t mistake Crowton’s caution in answering questions for a lack of temerity as a football coach.
In fact, Crowton’s approach to his job as the architect of a talented LSU offense that will be in the hands of a first-time starting quarterback figures to be anything but timid.
“The thing about coach Crowton is that he always has something up his sleeve, some kind of different wrinkle that nobody’s seen before,” said former Louisiana Tech quarterback Tim Rattay, now a journeyman backup in the NFL. Rattay, who owns most Tech passing records, is Crowton’s most famous protégé.
“When you combine the kind of offensive mind he has with the kind of talent they have at LSU, it’s going to be an explosive offense that fans are going to love to watch.”
That depiction goes hand-in-hand with the reputation Crowton arrived with in January when he was hired to replace Jimbo Fisher.
Entering his 26th year as a coach, the 50-year-old Crowton is recognized as one of the brightest offensive minds in the game.
The credentials he established before arriving at LSU include head-coaching stints at Louisiana Tech (1995-98) and Brigham Young (2001-04) and a two-year stop in the NFL as the Chicago Bears offensive coordinator (1999-2000).
Crowton spent the last two seasons as Oregon’s offensive coordinator, although he was on Tigers coach Les Miles’ radar as early as 2005 when Miles was hired at LSU had Fisher opted to leave at the time.
The Miles-Crowton connection didn’t happen then, but when the Tigers were back on the market for an offensive coordinator, Crowton was one of the first people Miles called.
‘The Wizard’
Crowton’s current players have dubbed him “The Wizard” for his offensive ingenuity.
“I’m just trying to learn every place I go, trying to be a better coach,” Crowton said. “I want to learn from the people I’m around. &hellip You make errors along the way, but you just try to get a little bit better.”
Over the course of his career, Crowton’s offensive schemes have added pieces here and there and evolved into a system Rattay said “any quarterback would love to be in.”
Crowton’s offense is based on the quarterback making quick decisions and getting the ball to the player with the best chance to make something happen.
Downfield passes are incorporated when needed, but are not a major part of the attack.
As much emphasis as there is on the QB, though, a big part of fifth-year senior Matt Flynn’s job will be to either get the ball to a running back or look for running room himself.
Last season at Oregon, Crowton’s offense led the Pac-10 in pass attempts (486) and completions (288) and accounted for 3,133 yards. But the Ducks also produced the league’s best rushing offense.
Oregon piled up a Pac-10 best 2,369 yards on the ground, 182.2 per game with 26 touchdowns — leading the league in all three categories.
That was without the same level of talent pool he has to operate with at LSU, where running backs Keiland Williams, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott and Richard Murphy make up one of the best backfield corps in the country.
“We want to make sure the veteran players — and we have some good veteran players — are comfortable with what they do and they can use that comfort and leadership on offense and then we can utilize the skills they have,” Crowton said,
choosing his words carefully.
Lines of communication
How well Crowton’s innovative offense meshes with Miles’ ground-oriented preference will be an ongoing process likely to be scrutinized by rabid LSU fans in chat rooms and near water coolers far and wide.
Urban legend hinted that Miles and Fisher knocked heads from time to time over offensive philosophy. Crowton provided no hint that he and the former Michigan offensive lineman and Bo Schembechler disciple have clashed about how best to move the ball.
To the contrary, Crowton points out that the common thread of being offensive coaches in the more specialized and compartmentalized NFL has solidified his relationship with Miles.
“He’s got enough confidence in me to listen to me and what I want to do and what I have to say, and at the same time I have a lot of confidence in him,” Crowton said.
“If there’s a situation where there are a couple of different ways to do it, we’re really in good communication back and forth so we can get it to be our way — the LSU way — and that’s a good way to work.”
Success interrupted
Crowton’s path to LSU and the highest level of college football hasn’t been without some obstacles, unwanted detours and plenty of stops.
Baton Rouge is the 11th city Crowton has worked in on the heels of a college career that included stops at Snow Junior College (Utah), Colorado State, Idaho State and BYU.
Success came quickly in both his head-coaching tenures, but fizzled — within certain seasons and toward the end of his time at both Louisiana Tech and BYU.
With Tech, Crowton led the Bulldogs to records of 6-5, 9-2 and 6-6. Tech got off to quick starts in all three seasons, but two of his three years ended with resounding losses: 55-38 to Arkansas State in 1996 and 63-30 against Tulane in ’98.
At BYU — a dream job for someone who grew up in Provo and in the Mormon Church and got his start under Cougars coaching legend LaVell Edwards — Crowton got off to a 12-0 start in his first season.
BYU was bandied about as a potential BCS at-large team before losing to Hawaii 72-45 and finishing the season with a 28-10 loss to Louisville in the Liberty Bowl.
The Cougars never had another winning season under Crowton, going 5-7, 4-8 and 5-6 despite early-season victories against major-conference opponents Syracuse in 2002, Georgia Tech and Southern California in 2003 and Notre Dame to start the ’04 campaign.
Crowton was forced out at BYU in 2004 when the Cougars fell to New Mexico and bitter rival Utah to close the season and missed a bowl for the third consecutive year.
In a Mormon-dominated football culture where winning is expected but an Honor Code of conduct is almost equally as important, Crowton fell out of favor with BYU fans and prominent supporters when a handful of Cougars players were accused but never convicted in a series of off-field incedents.
Oregon provided Crowton with a chance to bounce back, and now his career is back on an upward path.
Not that he is plotting a move any time soon. Crowton said he isn’t using Baton Rouge as a stopover to another proving ground.
“I’ve been a head coach twice and enjoyed it both times &hellip and I’ve had some success,” he said. “But right now my focus is on coming in here and doing well. &hellip I’ve reached a lot of my goals and right now I’m focused on winning the SEC, winning a national championship here.
“I had a couple of chances to be a head coach again, and I didn’t take those. I’m not aspiring to that. I’m not looking past helping this team develop
“This is not a stepping stone for me to go anywhere. This is where I’m at now and I want to do the best I can.”

The Wildcat Is Back

Posted Aug 9th 2007 12:49PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: SEC, Heisman, Arkansas Football
darren-mcfadden-wildcat-1-425.jpg

After a tumultuous offseason, Arkansas football is back on the practice field. So, too, is their "Wildcat" offensive package. Superhuman tailback Darren McFadden is pictured above, ready to throw. Or might he just tuck it and run? Find out as he makes a run at the Heisman Trophy this year.

Below, McFadden moves into an option look with talented backfield mate Felix Jones. Thank God defenses are "too fast" in the NFL for this stuff, ceding all the fun stuff to college football. Have fun averaging four yards/carry your rookie year next year Darren (eeeeeeyawnnnn).

arkansas-practice-option-right-425.jpg

Practice photos courtesy of the great RazorBloggers.net.

Since we're returning to Tressel ball, here's what to expect so you can adjust to spreads and totals:

Big Ten Week: How Much Does Ohio State's Offense Change? or Tresselballin'

By SMQ
Posted on Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 04:43:07 PM EDT

</I>

Way, way back in July, almost an entire month ago, I look at Troy Smith’s impact on Ohio State’s offense, both in its tendencies and production relative to Jim Tressel’s teams before Smith came on board:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=325><CAPTION align=top>OSU Offense Under Jim Tressel, Before/After Troy</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ed8982"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>B.T. (2001-04)</TD><TD align=middle>A.T. (2004-06)</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Pass Yds.</TD><TD align=middle>186.3</TD><TD align=middle>209.0</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=left>Comp. %</TD><TD align=middle>55.7</TD><TD align=middle>63.6</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>TD/INT</TD><TD align=middle>51/36 (1.4:1)</TD><TD align=middle>56/14 (4:1)</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=left>Total Off.</TD><TD align=middle>345.3</TD><TD align=middle>393.7</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Scoring</TD><TD align=middle>29.0</TD><TD align=middle>32.7</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>vs. Big Ten</TD><TD align=middle>23.3</TD><TD align=middle>34.1</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>40-pt. Games</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>vs. Big Ten</TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Record</TD><TD align=middle>35-10 (.777)</TD><TD align=middle>27-4 (.871)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The overall goodness of the Smith years is obvious, and it seems just as obvious to everyone that Ohio State’s immediate future with the well-liked but very limited (compared to Smith) Todd Boeckman assuming the position is firmly with the left column, a return to the quasi-vaunted “Tressel Ball” of safe, between-the-tackles pounding, overwhelming time of possession advantages and a subtly crippling kicking game that occasionally relented with Smith’s talents on hand.

How different will OSU’s offense look without Smith and his amazin’ blazin’ receivers, Gonzalez and Ginn? We know Tressel can win big without a Heisman-challenging quarterback throwing two touchdowns a game, but was the Buckeyes’ championship run in 2002 so different from its last one? We can be reasonably certain this fall’s offense will be closer in production to the pre-Smith, 2001-04 version, but as far as the degree of outright conservatism goes, how well does the theoretical “Tressel Ball” model actually define what went before, and what’s clearly coming after?

Tressel’s two best teams offer a good contrast of styles:

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=285><CAPTION align=top>Tressel Ball in Undefeated Regular Seasons</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ff6666"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>2002</TD><TD align=middle>2006</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Pts./Game</TD><TD align=middle>29.2</TD><TD align=middle>36.3</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Avg. MOV</TD><TD align=middle>16.9</TD><TD align=middle>25.9</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Runs/Game</TD><TD align=middle>44.3</TD><TD align=middle>38.1</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Carry*</TD><TD align=middle>4.4</TD><TD align=middle>5.1</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Passes/Game</TD><TD align=middle>19.4</TD><TD align=middle>27.2</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Pass*</TD><TD align=middle>8.9</TD><TD align=middle>8.5</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Run:Pass %</TD><TD align=middle>69% Run</TD><TD align=middle>58.4% Run</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Florida_Ohio_State_Football_NY216290x412.jpg

Tressel smokes ‘em when he’s got ‘em, and runs the iso when he doesn't.
- - -

The ‘02 team, rightly, was the face of Tressel Ball, and it is what we thought it was, and to a much greater extent of singlemindedness than I though it was. One one hand, this is not remotely suprising: the team with a Heisman contender at running back was overwhelmingly The * there indicates two areas that went in dramatically different directions when Maurice Clarett played in 2002 and when he didn’t; initially, I separated the games that season based on whether or not Clarett handled a full load, with the idea that strategy changes dramatically when a player like Clarett is in the backfield, but scrapped it because a) Clarett really only missed three games, and even played a little (four carries against Penn State) in one of those, way too small a sample size to tell very much, and b) the run-pass dispersal was basically identical either way.

What wasn’t identical was the Buckeyes’ average yards per snap, which soared with Clarett: OSU averaged a full yard more per carry in his games and, because defenses were so focused on him, about four yards more per pass on top of that. His presence lifted the enitre offense, and if Chris Wells has the same effect on defensive tendencies, the quarterback will have a lot of easy days.

The thing, though, is that the quarterback is already going to have a lot of easy days, against Youngstown State and Akron and the like, which is nothing new, and which tells us little about what to expect against worthy teams. Against ranked teams, the picture is the same, only moreso:

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=225><CAPTION align=top>Tressel Ball in Big Games, '02 vs. '06</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ff6666"><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>2002</TD><TD align=middle>2006</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Pts./Game</TD><TD align=middle>16.2</TD><TD align=middle>29.5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Avg. MOV</TD><TD align=middle>8.0</TD><TD align=middle>15.8</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Runs/Game</TD><TD align=middle>44.0</TD><TD align=middle>34.3</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Carry</TD><TD align=middle>3.5</TD><TD align=middle>4.6</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Passes/Game</TD><TD align=middle>16.6</TD><TD align=middle>28.5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Yds./Pass</TD><TD align=middle>8.2</TD><TD align=middle>7.7</TD></TR><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #c0c0c0"><TD align=right>Run:Pass %</TD><TD align=middle>72.4</TD><TD align=middle>54.4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
2002 Games: Washington State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Purdue, Michigan
2006 Games: Texas, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan

You might expect any team to strive for more balance against tougher opponents, or to throw more often in close games, but Ohio State approaches big games by asserting its identity and riding it nearly to the extreme: with Craig Krenzel at quarterback in front of Clarett, that meant a pounding run-first approach – i.e., typical Tressel Ball – even when that meant facing more close games. The Texas and especially Michigan games last season were specific examples of how far Smith allowed OSU to stray from that approach: he threw 41 times against Michigan, more than Krenzel ever threw in any one game in his two years as a starter and twice as many as CK threw at any point in the 2002 championship season. The Buckeyes spread the field as far as it could be spread, because Smith could handle it. And did, impressively.

Todd Boeckman isn’t going to be asked to handle that. For the rest of the Big Ten, this means it is almost certainly going to be fed unrelenting doses of Chris Wells, which I think is good for quality opponents (the few OSU faces at the end of the year) as long as Wells falls just short of reincarnating the on-field Clarett of scarlet and gray dreams (that is, a near-unparalelled mustang of a running back, minus the depressing spiral into professional, social and possibly mental oblivion); the spread not only exploited Smith’s talent for pressuring the defense in every possible way, but subsequently stretched it so thin that Wells and Antonio Pittman could deliver kill shots in the running game. Again, not going to happen like that: defenses will be waiting on Wells, and the subsequent one-dimensionality as much as the sheer exodus of talent will drive the scoring average back down to the low-to-mid-twenties, where very few champions reside.

<!-- poll box --><TABLE width="40%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wow, look at that Troy line continue to drop (now down to 25 and 25'). I wasn't expecting it to go this low.

We'll see if it bounces back closer to game time.

Thank you, sir.

Why don't you SEMCON guys give me that low down on MSU-UAB. Line looks good but MSU sucking against Idaho in the opener last year doesn't inspire confidence.

Oregon piled up a Pac-10 best 2,369 yards on the ground, 182.2 per game with 26 touchdowns — leading the league in all three categories.
That was without the same level of talent pool he has to operate with at LSU, where running backs Keiland Williams, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott and Richard Murphy make up one of the best backfield corps in the country.

yes, because Oregon has absolutely no talent at the RB position

:hang:

Thank you, sir.

Why don't you SEMCON guys give me that low down on MSU-UAB. Line looks good but MSU sucking against Idaho in the opener last year doesn't inspire confidence.
RJ, I got the best posible line at 16.5 and grabbed it knowing I could hedge. At this point I still like it a lot and will be doing my write-up in just a few here.

RJ almost has me dumping the idea of a miss st bet ........ why am i hanging on to this idea ??

Kyle..I cannot talk you off Messy St..lol..as LSU is my lean no doubt. It feels fishy but this is week on and maybe its a present under the tree.

No excuses this year, says Bulldogs' Croom

By Ron Higgins
Contact

August 10, 2007

STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Mississippi State senior tight end Eric Butler doesn't have to reach back far in his memory to recall when the Bulldogs' offensive depth was thinner than a hotdog wrapper.

"Just a couple of years ago, me and (fellow tight end) Jason Husband lined up some at wide receiver just so we had somebody tall to throw deep balls to," said the 6-3 Butler with a smile at MSU's media day on Thursday.

"We didn't have the personnel to run what (head) coach (Sylvester) Croom wanted."

Croom is promising that will change this year as he starts his fourth season guiding the Bulldogs. Now that he believes his team has Southeastern Conference-quality depth at almost every position, he no longer feels compelled to play a basketball-equivalent of a four-corners offense.

"You haven't seen our complete offense yet," Croom said. "We haven't run our offense the first three years. All we did was manage the game to give us the best chance to win on that day. All we've tried to do is not put our defense is bad positions.

"We haven't been aggressive. We haven't run our offense. We limited our quarterbacks and we limited our receivers to what they could do. I came from the coaching philosophy it's not what we know as coaches, but it's what your players can do. We haven't asked our football team to do anywhere near offensively what the system calls for."

In Croom's first three years, State didn't even average 20 points per game, and not more than 16 per game in SEC play. Yards per rushing attempt have decreased every year, and the pass-completion percentage has dipped under 50 percent the last couple of years.

"It has been frustrating," said State senior center Royce Blacklege, who started all 12 games last year. "We have to get our offense started early."

The Bulldogs' offense began an upswing in last season's final five games.

Though State went 1-4 in that stretch en route to a 3-9 season, it scored 24 points in a three-point loss at Georgia, 31 points in a three-point loss to Kentucky and 24 points in an eight-point win at Alabama.
The most noticeable thing was State finally throwing the ball downfield, with starting quarterback Michael Henig connecting on three touchdowns against Kentucky and two against Alabama.

Suddenly, an offense that didn't score a point in its first two games (losses of 15-0 to South Carolina and 34-0 to Auburn) grew some teeth.
"Losing four games last year by three points each proved we can compete with anybody," Henig said. "You have to strike first in the SEC, and then let your defense take over.

"We're in attack mode now, and that's the type of football great teams play. If we have a chance to throw deep, that's what we'll do. If we drop it, we have a chance to come back and play another down."

It didn't help State last year that Henig twice cracked his collarbone, leading the Bulldogs to starting three quarterbacks. Also, the slower-than-expected development of junior college transfer Tony Burks at wide receiver didn't give State a downfield threat until later in the year.
But Croom believes that's all changed now. He said he has at least 12 quality offensive linemen, eight receivers, three quarterbacks, three tight ends and five running backs.

It all means that when LSU (No. 2 in the preseason coaches poll) opens the season at State on Aug. 30 on ESPN, Croom doesn't think his offense will look anything like the ones that have stumbled around his first three years.

"We have SEC talent at every position," Croom said. "And that's the first time since I've been here that I've been able to see that."

"We're in position to compete now. We now can go out every week, and if we play well we can win the football game. In the past three years, we had to play an absolute perfect game, and the other team had to play their absolute worst game to have a chance to win.
"We're going to do a lot more things this year. We'll run the offense and not worry about that."

Texas practice notes:

hornbullet.gif
Mack Brown's presser script is up and has some interesting tidbits:

*Greg Smith came to the coaches and, citing depth at tight end and lack of depth on the offensive line, asked to switch positions. The coaches let him work out with the linemen and are going to give him a chance to make the move.

*The team is using an interesting new pill that allows coaches to measure a player's body temperature quickly and effectively. With the heat index in the 104-106 range, overheating is a big concern, even with practice getting underway at 7 PM. Mack notes that three of Texas' first four games are home tilts at 6 PM, but that the UCF road game will be a 3:30 kickoff. Orlando is even hotter than Austin right now.

*As we head into the weekend, the pads are coming on and the team is moving into full speed contact drills. Henry Melton and Sergio Kindle, suspended for the first three games of the year, have rejoined the team for practices and will add pads on Sunday.

*The freshman offensive linemen are working out well and, according to Mack, will actually play this year. Aundre McGasky and Michael Huey are working out at guard. Kyle Hix and Tray Allen are practicing at tackle.

*The idea that Texas runs better out of the I-Formation is a myth. According to Brown, the Longhorns were more effective running out of the shotgun.

Added:

Troy +25

Pissed that I did not get a better line. Thought the public would bet this one up but with Arkansas' problems there is no guarantee it will.

I may hedge off this later depending, but think Troy will be a good live dog.

looking to put troy ina 10pt teaser with:
Troy+35/LSU-6.5/Iowa-1

any thoughts on that one

Not RJ but that is a damn nice teaser, especially Troy +35. LSU should win by more than 7 and Iowa should just be ashamed if they can't win that game which is what they basically have to do to cover.

Troy--I personally hate teasers. They alwasys look like the "L" word but one team always fucks it up.

That being said, I like the 3 team 10 point teaser.

Week 1 Practice report--LSU Tigers

The first week of practice is over, and already people are gushing over Terrence Tolliver, writing off Demetrius Byrd, declaring Richard Murphy the next Reggie Bush, hating on Ryan Perrilloux, wondering about the ambiguity of Ricky Jean-Francois situation, and worried about the offensive line.

It’s the first week.

IT’S THE FIRST WEEK!!!!!!

Enjoy it. If it’s one thing I can say about LSU fans, it’s that we tend to worry too much instead of enjoy the team we have. Nobody within the LSU fan community would ever publicly admit that Jamarcus Russell was a #1 pick at the start of last season, and 20 other teams right now are thinking that that a guy that is barely 6th round quality is 1st round material (I’m looking at you Kenny Irons and CJ Ah You).

Who else is excited about this year’s squad? I may be an LSU homer, but I think that Matt Flynn, Early Doucet, Glenn Dorsey, Jonathon Zenon, and Chevis Jackson could be all be picked within the first two rounds. I’m pumped.

What is missing from the above list? Offensive linemen. It’s never been our strong suit, and it’s been the bane of our existence, the misery of Saban’s legacy over the past few years. LSU has had incredible talent at skill positions, including Jamarcus Russell, Joseph Addai, Michael Clayton, Devery Henderson, Ronnie Prude, Corey Webster, and Laron Landry. You could also add Dwayne Bowe, and Craig Davis, but neither could catch a beach ball during their college careers, and I don’t see why they would improve in the professional ranks. Neither is fast, and neither can catch.

The notable omission of talent from the Saban years is any sort of quality on the lines. On that note, it’s a shame that we will never get to find about Marquis Hill.

What We Know After Week One.--UGA Bulldogs

By MaconDawg Section: Football
Posted on Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 11:33:10 AM EDT

</I>

The Georgia Bulldogs have been the starting right tackle spot on the practice fields in th Classic City for a whole week now, so it seems like a good time to review some of what we've learned so far:

Boling is rolling. True freshman offensive tackle Clint Boling has moved up to the starting right tackle spotfor the moment while Chester Adams nurses a sprained ankle. Is he ready for that responsibility? As Offensive Coordinator Mike Bobo said "Is he ready? No. He's a freshman, but he's all we've got." That pretty much sums it up.

Tony Wilson will play. While Wilson's not the biggest receiver, and there were some worries during the spring about his conditioning, Coach Richt reports that the 5'11, 190 lb. receiver is the Dawgs' most physical wideout. Make no mistake, this receiving corps is a group that is in need of both physical and mental toughness. If Wilson is at the forefront in those categories, he'll see the field a lot, even though there are a plethora of more experienced guys.

Competition makes everyone better. And there are several position battles going on. The Athens Banner Herald reports that senior Thomas Flowers has used his experience to supplant Asher Allen at the boudary corner slot, at least for now. Geno Atkins has taken over one starting tackle slot from Kade Weston, largely because Coach Garner has been unimpressed with Weston's conditioning. I would not be surprised if we don't see some other changes after this evening's first offensive/defensive scrimmage under the lights in Sanford Stadium.

The number and variety of position battles going on are a result of increased depth. Across the field, we probably have more quality depth than we've had at any time in recent memory. That's a very exciting development.
Mark Richt is a member of the Rennie Curran fan club. David Ching reports that the head coach is gushing about his freshman linebacker. Coach Richt on Curran's attitude: "The kid loves Georgia. He's so fired up about being at Georgia, it's unbelievable. I think he would literally bleed for the team." With a thin linebacking corps, it's looking more and more like Curran and Charles White may see significant time this season.

Three things we have learned

By Tony Barnhart | Sunday, August 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The first week of practice is in the books. Three things we have learned:

1. Blake Mitchell is on thin ice: You would think that a fifth-year senior would have learned the basic rule of playing quarterback for Steve Spurrier : You don’t tick off the Head Ball Coach and give him any reason to question your commitment or your leadership ability.

But Mitchell missed the first two days of preseason practice at South Carolina because he missed too many classes.

Please.

“I hope that’s embarrassing to him,” Spurrier told reporters. “It should be.”
Mitchell had better hope that freshman Stephen Garcia doesn’t have a great training camp or he’ll be holding a clipboard on Sept. 1.

2. LaMarcus Coker has not been paying attention: Tennessee, you might have noticed, is deep in running backs. After spring practice, coach Phillip Fulmer praised the work ethic of Arian Foster, one of those running backs.

He did not mention Coker. Coker, an extremely talented kid who can make big plays, responded to the challenge by earning an indefinite suspension for an undisclosed rules violation.

Maybe LaMarcus didn’t get the memo but coaches today are quicker to cut a guy loose than ever before. A guy who won’t follow the rules just isn’t worth it any more, regardless of his talent. Hey LaMarcus: Ever heard of Brent Schaeffer?

3. Spurrier is not going anywhere, but he does have a point: Steve Spurrier is not going to leave South Carolina because of a flap with the academic side of the university. And it’s not up the head football coach of any institution to set academic standards.

It’s probably not the wisest thing to do to put your president out there on a limb because he has to deal with the faculty. But Spurrier is not a politician.

Still, Spurrier has a point.

When a kid who is eligible by NCAA standards is told the day before practice that he can’t get in school, the system is flawed. Fact is, Clemson had already gone through this a year ago so the issue should have been addressed before now. Each institution is free to set its own standards for admission. That’s the way it should be.

But there is an issue of fundamental fairness to the student athlete given their unique situation.

hey RJ, Toledo is tempting considering their record in the Glass Bowl; however, they have what is perhaps their biggest conference game on deck v Central Michigan; doubt the Boilies will take Toledo lightly, considering how much they've underachieved the last couple years.

I have a feeling both Iowa and Mich St are both good plays, I'm just having a hard time warming up to either right now.

Feel like a stick in the mud right now; only play
I have right now is the 'Noles @ -1'; one of my favorite week 1 games.

GL.

Nah, Horses, I've only got 2 plays but could pull the trigger on a few more. I'm looking over the card and there are a few tempting plays but I'm always finding significant reasons to lay off.

That being said, there's a few I'm still watching and I'm hoping for better prices.

Can Weis shock world again?

ERIC HANSEN
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- The best news to come out of Notre Dame's lone open practice of the fall Saturday was probably that there were no serious injuries to report, and that any potential Georgia Tech spies in the crowd -- thirsting for exotic formations and the like -- probably went home sweaty and bored.

Oh yeah, and that Irish head football coach Charlie Weis' biggest concern as the Irish head into week two of fall camp is not pass defense, or his young quarterbacks possibly looking more like Marcia Brady than Tom Brady or Brady Quinn, but rather the extent to which his freshman class can or can't carry a tune.

At the conclusion of the 2 1/2-hour session in full pads at Notre Dame Stadium, Weis commanded his 18 frosh to serenade the 2,000 or so curiosity-seekers with the school alma mater.

"It was marginal," Weis deadpanned of the vocal performance. "It was terrible yesterday."

Maybe that had something to do with the fact that the mandatory singing practice was held at 7:30 a.m., Friday.In any event, with the Sept. 1 season opener against Georgia Tech roughly three weeks away, here's what we do know about this Irish football team.1. This may not be a Top 25 team at the moment, but it deserves to be in the conversation.

Why? Because most of the areas of concern -- a new wide receiver corps, rebuilt offensive line, potential holes at nose tackle and in the secondary, and speed on special teams -- have not only been addressed, they've exceeded expectations so far.

At wide receiver, for instance, front-liners David Grimes and George West continue to rise, and freshmen Duval Kamara and Golden Tate are threatening to crash the playing rotation. Everyone in between is fighting vehemently not to end up as bench ornaments.

You read Weis' mood and his body language, and it's 2005 all over again -- when an unforgiving early schedule and a lack of proven performers were supposed to humble Weis and his "shock-the-world" ambitions. You get the feeling he's just itching to say, "I told you so" -- again.

2. But there are areas of concern.

Weis was asked point-blank Saturday what keeps him in the film room late, scratching his head and shuffling options. His response, quite simply, "What do you think, I'm just dumb?"

He did smile when he said it. Well, no one who got a perfect score on his SAT is dumb. And no one who wants to surprise Georgia Tech is going to sing -- pun intended -- when it comes to juicy details.

But even the most uneducated and uninterested observers Saturday could see the footballs flying to the left and right of the goalposts with alarming regularity.

Sophomore Ryan Burkhart missed all four of his field-goal attempts -- from 20, 30, 33 and 35 yards. Sophomore walk-on Nate Whitaker and freshman Brandon Walker were each 3-for-5. They attempted all the same distances as Burkhart as well as a 45-yarder.

"This week in practice Nate Whitaker has probably been our most consistent guy," Weis said. "Brandon and Ryan on different days have been right there -- the best if not tied for the best."It was good that the fans and the media were here today, because it isn't the same as when you're in practice. When you're in practice, sometimes you can nail eight in a row. There's really not the same pressure as when eyes are on you. So we can go from there."

3. There's no normalcy where Jimmy Clausen is concerned.

The national media and casual football fans tend to obsess about the freshman quarterback. The hard-core Notre Dame fans tend to yawn at the preponderance of conjecture. And that's largely the body of his work at this point -- conjecture.

In Saturday's practice, Clausen was the only one of the four scholarship quarterbacks not to throw farther than 15 yards. In fact, quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus -- the Jimmy Clausen of his era during his playing days -- was throwing with more zip during the drill than the 6-3, 207-pound Californian.

This is a kid who enrolled early so he could be seriously competing now but was rumored to have an elbow injury going into spring practice. Weis proclaimed Clausen to not be injured hours after Clausen's father Jim detailed a persistent elbow condition to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Then Clausen undergoes "a procedure" on his right (throwing) elbow in May -- the details leaked by someone outside of the ND family, the surgery performed by someone outside of the ND family. Clausen then returns for fall practice, presumably ready to compete with sophomore Demetrius Jones and junior Evan Sharpley.

Weis offered Saturday, before being asked, that the quarterbacks work on different things on different days. "Certain guys are throwing long one day, intermediate one day, short one day," he said.

But when pressed about Clausen, Weis answered the question with multiple questions.

"How many deep passes did we throw (in total) today?" Weis said. "Can he throw the ball deep? I think we'll have to wait 'til Sept. 1 to find out."

What Weis already knows and is comfortable talking about is that while his three quarterback candidates haven't made him forget Quinn, he is encouraged by what he sees.

"I think we'll be good enough (at that position) to win," he said. "That's what I've learned."

4. Dayne Crist is doing his best to make the 2008 quarterback situation into an open competition.

The 6-foot-5, 221-pound high school senior from Canoga Park, Calif., was not in an ND uniform Saturday, but he might as well have been. The future Irish QB, whom CSTV recruiting analyst Tom Lemming calls the best passing QB nationally in his class, wasn't just watching practice in person Saturday, he was out on the field at times in street clothes, soaking up the instruction and coaching along with the sunshine.

5. The depth chart should get more defined by Aug. 20.

Actually, the quarterback situation, getting from three to two, may actually take place as soon as Monday, though expect whispers rather than a declaration.

Complicating some of the other positions are the strong play of the freshmen -- Armando Allen and Robert Hughes at running back, the aforementioned freshman wideouts, tight end Mike Ragone, outside linebackers Kerry Neal and Brian Smith, and Walker at kicker to name a few.

"I think one things we've been trying to do in the recruiting process here in the last few years is trying to get more speed in the program," Weis said. "And we'll continue to try to get more speed in the program.

"Watching Golden Tate run at wide receiver, Armando run at running back. Mike Ragone run at tight end, the one constant of all three of those guys have is they all run very, very fast for the position they play. Having more guys having the potential to score when they touch the ball, rather than getting a 10-yard gain, that's important.

"There are going to be freshmen on the field in the first game, and it won't be in mop-up time."

Smith and Neal, two relatively unheralded defensive recruits, are included in that picture.

"When we brought those two guys in there and put them at outside linebacker, we saw guys who were 240-ish, strong as oxes, with lots of athleticism," Weis said. "Those are guys who can stand up at the point when the (opponent is) running right at you, rush the passer and still have the athletic ability to be able to get involved in coverage. Both of those guys are definitely in the depth chart."

6. New defensive coordinator Corwin Brown can bark as loud as Weis.

"Corwin and I are so much on the same page, because of our (coaching) upbringing, when we talk, it's like we've been talking for two decades," said Weis, who also revealed earlier this week that he tried to hire Brown two years earlier.

They're that much in sync in terms of defensive philosophy -- and apparently discipline as well.

When the defense lined up during one drill Saturday with only 10 men on the field, the entire defense -- innocent bystanders included -- had to run a punishment lap. Brown serenaded them with some stern criticism.

"I prefer to play with 11," Weis said. "It was a point of emphasis. Instead of me hammering them, I let Corwin do it."

7. Expect plenty of the unexpected on Sept. 1.

There were some intriguing glimpses, though, provided during Saturday's practice: The rule change that pushes kickoffs from the 35-yard line back to the 30 appears to be having its intended effect -- more returns. Not one of the Irish kickers boomed the ball into the end zone Saturday. ... Weis singled out fullback Asaph Schwapp and linebackers Toryan Smith and Joe Brockington as the players who jumped out the most when the team went from practicing in shorts to full pads. ... Allen is one of several new faces in the return game. One of the old faces, Tom Zbikowski, returned a punt for a touchdown.

8. Weis really does take singing seriously. At least his players' singing.

"One game last year, some of the guys weren't singing or weren't paying attention," Weis said of the postgame tradition of singing the alma mater to the student section. "That's not what Notre Dame is all about. It may not seem like something big to a lot of you guys, but it's important to me."

Now is tonal quality important? Is Weis in a good position to judge that, coach that? Well judge for yourself.
Click here to listen to Weis singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" at Chicago's Wrigley Field earlier this summer.

"I was sitting in the press box with (musical groups) Chicago and America," Weis said. "And they pick me. I figured, if they picked me, I'd take one for the team."

Reports from LSU Practice and Scrimmage:

« Week 1 Practice report

First Week Practice Report Post-Scrimmage Update:

The results are in from the first scrimmage. Below are the statistics, but a few things to note:

- The defense was spectacular, led by the oft-injured Kirston Pittman with 5.5 tackles, 3 sacks, and one pass break-up. Of course, this is relative, the offense could have been inept, making the defense look good.

- Matt Flynn did play, going 5 of 9 for a touchdown and about 100 yards.

- Ryan Perrilloux, as much as I defend him, went 1 of 4. Maybe he’s been taking too many “gambles” on low-percentage / high-payoff options.

- Holiday scored on a 30 yard touchdown pass from Jarrett Lee.

- Stevan Ridley led running backs with 64 yards on 9 rushing attempts.

None of this really matters much, and it’s hard to judge what the implications are for this team. I have a feeling that the offense is adjusting to a more complex playbook (Jimbo’s playbook had about 4 plays in it), and that the defense is more in synch than the offense. I like that two of the shining stars of both the offense and the defense are guys I had totally forgotten about. It should be noted that Stevan Ridley is a pretty good running back, he did rush for over 3,000 yards in his senior season. Here are the stats, have a good weekend:

Statistical Leaders

Rushing
Steven Ridley 9 att., 64 yards
Charles Scott 7 att., 24 yards
Keiland Williams 9 att., 20 yards
Jacob Hester 2 att., 6 yards

Passing
Matt Flynn 5 of 9, 97 yards, 1 TD
Jarrett Lee 4 of 6, 27 yards
Ryan Perrilloux 1 of 4, 5 yards

Receiving
Early Doucet 3 rec., 70 yards 1 TD
Trindon Holiday 1 rec., 30 yards, 1 TD
Terrance Toliver 1 rec., 21 yards
Richard Dickson 1 rec., 12 yards
Chris Mitchell 1 rec., 11 yards
J. D. Lott 1 rec., 12 yards

Punting
Patrick Fisher 6 punts for 45.8 yards
Josh Jasper 3 punts for 35.3 yards

Field Goals
Colt David 4 for 4 (made 37, 41, 47, 46)
Josh Jasper 1 for 1 (made 37)

Defensive Leaders
Kirston Pittman 5.5 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 PBU
Ali Highsmith 4 tackles
Charles Alexander 3 tackles
Luke Sanders 2 tackles
Steltz 2 tackles, 1 PBU
Jonathan Zenon 2 tackles, 1 PBU
Chevis Jackson 1 PBU

Yeah, I actually have my list of games to bet as well; it's just a matter of keeping up with the practices/injuries and line monitoring.

I always spend like 4 or 5 wks on week 1; this year, I am making a point to have the first three weeks layed out in front of me before the season kicks off. Naturally, I am looking at the San Diego St - Wassou tilt in Seattle that takes place in Week 2; as long as nothig funny happens in Madison, I would expect this line to be about 2 TD's.

Still waiting: Scrimmage provides no answers to OU's quarterback quandary

OU quarterback Sam Bradford had the fewest incompletions on the day with seven but threw the only interception.

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/12/2007

NORMAN -- Kevin Wilson was as antsy to solve Oklahoma's quarterback riddle as any of the 7,000 answer-seeking fans at Saturday's scrimmage.

"I wish it would be settled and done right this second, personally," said Wilson, OU's offensive coordinator.

Maybe today, when Wilson gathers his offensive staff and meets with coach Bob Stoops, will produce a turning point.

"From what we've seen in practice and (the scrimmage), maybe we can get close to making that call," Wilson said. "If (a decision) is upon us, or if we still feel we're five, six, eight or 10 days away . . . Whether it's one or two or who it is, that'll be topic 101."

The hope is that things will become a little clearer than they were during Saturday's 20-series scrimmage.

Numbers told no story. Joey Halzle went 12-of-21 for 85 yards. Sam Bradford was 11- of-18 for 83 yards. And Keith Nichol went 8-of-16 for 51 yards.

There was no definitive playmaking. Nichol and Halzle threw a touchdown pass, and all three led a touchdown drive.

There was nothing shameful. Bradford tossed the day's only interception, a deep overthrow into the wind that Marcus Walker picked off.

The fact that Bradford appeared first, Nichol second and Halzle third? Simply a product of the last practice rotation, Wilson said.

Coaches' assessments were broad.

"For the most part I thought they did a really nice job managing the game," Stoops said. "I didn't see any of them pressing, making any foolish decisions or not being able to make the throws we need to make. To me that's pleasing."

Quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel wasn't as cheery.

"Offensively as a group we came out a little sluggish, didn't have a lot of energy and got ourselves in some tough situations," he said. "That comes from a guy missing a block, missing a hole, a quarterback making a bad decision when something else is there or taking a sack. Those are things the three guys at the quarterback position have to clean up."

Heupel wanted his trio to bounce a positive vibe around the huddle. That, however, apparently didn't happen until the first play of the 11th series, when Nichol dropped a 19-yard pass over Lewis Baker's outstretched hand right to Juaquin Iglesias near the sideline. It was the offense's first first down in seven series.

"A comment was made to me by Joe Jon (Finley)," Wilson said. "I said, 'How was your huddle today?' And he goes, 'Until we made that one play, Coach, it was just kind of flat. Once we made that play, we had a little mojo and we were pretty good.' "

Nichol found Iglesias again four plays later to convert a third-and-3, then he connected with Manuel Johnson on a 3-yard scoring pass.

Halzle directed a 60-yard touchdown drive seven series later. Highlights included a 10-yard sideline strike to Johnson on third-and-8, Halzle's 12-yard scramble on third-and-10, and the 20-yard touchdown, a pump-and-lob to Malcolm Kelly, who outjumped Walker near the back of the end zone.

"Everybody tries to put all the pressure on them," Kelly said of the quarterbacks. "I just tell them, 'It don't have to be perfect, just get it somewhere in range.' "

Bradford took over after Kelly's catch and zipped an 18-yarder down the seam to freshman Ryan Broyles. One play later, Jacob Gutierrez shot through a hole on the left side and raced 52 yards for a touchdown.

It was that kind of afternoon. Signs of concern followed by signs of promise, and no real epiphany.

Pressed afterward about any separation among the three quarterbacks, Wilson paused for 12 seconds before saying, "Y'know, I. . ."

Then he paused again, and eventually offered a playful, "I don't know. Call me tomorrow. I won't answer the phone, but you can call me."

Added:

Texas -37' (-110)

I've got the line capped at -35, but look at past history. Texas has won the last 4 openers (vs. 3 Sun Belt and 1 WAC) by an average of 47 ppg, or something like that.

Will also be looking at the 1H line later too.

Yeah, I actually have my list of games to bet as well; it's just a matter of keeping up with the practices/injuries and line monitoring.

I always spend like 4 or 5 wks on week 1; this year, I am making a point to have the first three weeks layed out in front of me before the season kicks off. Naturally, I am looking at the San Diego St - Wassou tilt in Seattle that takes place in Week 2; as long as nothig funny happens in Madison, I would expect this line to be about 2 TD's.

Feel free to hit me up on AIM or PM me to meet over a beer and go over lines. See if we can increase our chances.

RJ, will do; got a business trip to Philadelphia tomorrow and won't be back to SD till Friday; my online usage will be very limited for the trip, but I'll checkin occasionally. Will get back with you when I return.

Report from Texas' practice:

Weekend Practice Report

by HornsFan Sun Aug 12, 2007 at 01:18:31 PM EDT

Man alive, it's hard to read reports like this one and not get excited. Chip Brown provides readers with a dozen tantalizing practice nuggets, which we'll walk through now.

* Texas completed its sixth practice of fall camp on Saturday. It was closed and Mack Brown was not available to talk afterward.

* Players said the big plays of the day came on a 70-yard TD pass from Colt McCoy to RB Chris Ogbannaya on a wheel route. On defense, freshman LB Keenan Robinson from Plano East came up with an interception on a screen pass to end team drills.

Two exciting notes here. First, as you know, it's great to see Priest Holmes having a strong fall practice. Ogbonnaya's been named the #2 tailback for now, and I'm not even a little bit surprised to hear he's playing well. I'll say this - there's a sizable segment of the hardcore Texas fanbase that's going to gripe about Vondrell McGee not being ahead of Ogbonnaya on the depth chart. Try, try, try your best to tune them out until Ogbonnaya gets his fair shot. Heartily supporting C.O. is not a knock on McGee. He not only deserves the chance to shine - I think he will.

As for Keenan Robinson, seemingly every time I turn around there's another positive nugget on the true freshman linebacker. He may turn out to be the biggest prize of the '07 recruiting haul.

* QB Colt McCoy said he doesn't feel pressure from Mack Brown saying it's his team or from high expectations: "Anybody wants high expectations.
That’s what brings the best out in you. When there’s pressure and competition, this team thrives under that. I’m looking forward to it."
  • McCoy was asked about the team's leadership:
"Leadership is a tough word," McCoy said. "We have a lot of leaders. We have a lot of seniors who can step up and a lot of the young guys can look up to different players at their position.

"As far as being a leader on this football team, it takes respect. Coach Brown is our number one leader. He’s going to have us ready each week to step on the field. We follow him, and we have a lot of leaders in the locker room. That’s where it all starts."

Leadership talk in football is often fluff - the equivalent of political gab about character. Yeah, it matters, but it's rarely talked about usefully.

With that said, leadership on and off the field is an important issue for this Texas football team. The Longhorns lost three football games last season in the first post-VY year. And I don't think there's much question that one contributing factor to the relative struggles was a leadership vacuum. Leadership talk is usually fluff, but it's a critical ingredient to team success. Vince Young isn't here to lead this team to the summit anymore.

And we won't get back there without a couple key players assuming the role of General.

* McCoy said WR Limas Sweed doesn't get enough credit for his blocking. McCoy also said he and C Dallas Griffin had trouble executing the snap early on but have now got things figured out.

Colt is right. I wouldn't have even thought about it if McCoy hadn't brought it up, but Sweed is a blocking beast these days. I often bring up how far along Sweed has come from a physical standpoint (remember how much he got pushed around as a freshman?), but rarely in the context of his blocking abilities. The guy's developed into the best all-around player on the offensive side of the football for Texas.

* McCoy said he's impressed with the speed in the defensive secondary. He said UT's experienced defensive line "is making our offensive line better every day."

Another great point from Colt. We've spent a lot of time talking about the strength of our defensive line as well as the work that needs to be done on the offensive line. Until now, I haven't seen anyone point out that the offensive line has an ideal sparring partner for improvement.

* Senior DT Frank Okam of Lake Highlands said his best friend and roommate S Drew Kelson, who is returning to safety after playing RB and LB, "is too talented to keep off the field." Okam pointed to Kelson's string of big plays in 2005: a victory-sealing forced fumble against Ohio State, a key interception against Texas A&M and a near INT against USC while running stride for stride with Reggie Bush.

There's no question that Drew Kelson has talent, but the coaches have done a pretty sorry job of getting the most out of it during his career.

Mack Brown went so far as to apologize during his Thursday press conference, saying, "The problem is he has played three positions in four years now. He has been such a team guy we haven't been fair to him, but he will be a little behind in the secondary just because he didn't backpeddle for three years and there is a time there to transition."

Yup. I hope Okam's right and Kelson makes the transition smoothly, but Drew might struggle to win the starting job over Erick Jackson. Mack's right - the coaches haven't been fair to him.

* Okam said to expect big things from DE Brian Orakpo: "He’s a beast, very physical, very dominant. He’s one of the best pass rushers I’ve seen in my life. Don't be surprised to hear his name called a lot."

This will please Newbs to no end, as Orakpo's been one of "his guys" for a long time now. As for Okam's comments - there's absolutely no quesiton that Orakpo is one of the best pass rushers in the Big 12. What will be more critical to watch is how he handles his run-stopping duties. Crowder and Robison were both elite in that regard, while Orakpo has heretofor been used primarily in passing situations. He'll need to elevate his game as he's asked to assume greater responsibility in 2007.

* Co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff, who coaches the linebackers, said he's been impressed with all of his linebackers but really likes the progress being made by sophomore LB Rod Muckelroy.

"He’s come into camp and is real serious about being a major player on our defense," Mac Duff said Saturday. "He’s really done well in the first few days."

For all the (justified) hand wringing about the linebackers, I'm coming around to the idea that it's going to be an overall team strength this season. The three presumptive starters (Derry, Bobino, and Killebrew), flawed as they each were last season, are at the least more experienced, while the depth behind them is dramatically improved from a year ago. It's important to remember just how unlucky Texas was with injuries in 2006.

And how lucky Texas was with injuries in 2005. For all that we talk about scheme, execution, and the play on the field - the element of luck is too often overlooked. Texas' defense was hampered by injuries all year long - Lokey, Okam, Robison, T Brown, Muckelroy, Kindle, Griffin... the list of injuries is nearly endless.

* Mac Duff coached special teams in the NFL with the New York Giants and most recently the San Francisco 49ers. He says the new kickoff rules (teams are kicking off from their own 30 this season instead of the 35) will result in fewer touchbacks and more returns.

"It's going to make college football really exciting, I promise you," Mac Duff said.
  • Mac Duff said he's going to coach the kick return team this season.
"Special teams contributes to winning, and I have a background in that area, so I want to help as much as I possibly can," said Mac Duff.

This isn't being talked about enough. There aren't a heck of a lot of college kickers who can get a ball into the end zone kicking from the 30. We're going to be seeing teams bring the ball out pretty much every time. For all the Vondrell McGee fans in the group? It's here that I want to see him used generously.

--PB--

Updates from Storrs, CT:

Juco All-American transfer Tyler Lorenzen has been great in practice and has the heads up on being the week one starter at QB.

Uconn Defensive Backs have been playing very well and CB Tyvon Branch has won hardest worker award 2 days in a row

The D-Line was a little bit lazy at first but Edsall has been on their ass so we'll see if it continues..

Edsall says RB is their deepest position: Donald Brown, Lou Allen, and Andre Dixon have all been great in practice so that is great news for husky backers

ill keep up when i hear more

Thanks for the update. Think UConn is a great play especially with Duke losing their top tackler the last 2 years to suspension (MLB).

Anytime you want to give your $0.02 on that matchup, let me know.

Back