USC and UCLA to the B1G?

That education stuff went all up in flames when they took Rutgers who really brought nothing to the table.
Rutgers has one of the top philosophy departments in the country. And it's really strong in ethology & evolutionary biology. In other words, the fields I know something about.

Rutgers has one of the top philosophy departments in the country. And it's really strong in ethology & evolutionary biology. In other words, the fields I know something about.
Rutgers definitely ranks among the very best...like i've seen it ranked #1 or at least on par with Princeton for #1

Serious question. WTF do you do with a philosophy degree? What jobs are you targeting…I genuinely have no effing idea…
Professor or bust.

Also a lot of people study philosophy before entering law school because the logic and reasoning skills that you acquire by engaging with philosophers’ arguments and making your own arguments about what you agree/disagree with are highly useful.

NBA viewership ratings are huge AROUND the WORLD

BLM Haters leaving did not affect the league one iota.

money making MACHINE
National games in the nba averaged 1.6 million viewers, college gameday averaged more at 1.9

The ratings arent huge around the world, they are popular in the phillipines mostly, with small viewership in brazil, australia, Argentina, spain having the, most gains. The NBA is not a global league, most Europeans watch their league.

Basketball is a global game but the nba isnt a global league, its nowhere near the actual global sports like soccer and cricket, or even things like F1

NCAA football blows it out of the water

The idea that young people dont watch live tv is a fallacy, ratings were up for cfb this year, ratings are climbing every year in the nfl

People think that young people won‘t spend 4 hours watching something on tv. They will, they‘ll just have their phones out as well

why do people love to take shots the NBA LOL

let's talk about BORING BASEBALL
or BORING GOLF
or BORING AUTO RACING
or the incredible NHL (amazing sport) but HORRIBLE Ratings

let's stop w/ your shots against the woke NBA and woke NFL

those two leagues are absolutely dominating ratings year after year.

go look at the NFL reg season ratings as well as the playoffs. (only 17 reg seaon games and 1 month of playoffs so it is can't miss stuff)

NBA has 82 regular season games but still dominates hockey ratings reg season as well as baseball.

NBA playoff ratings this year for the period running 4/15 start date through about 6/15? OFF THE FREAKING CHARTS.

go look it up.

stop with your veiled but clear shots at the Woke Leagues.

let's get back to the topic at hand --- College Football will continue to thrive despite these upcoming changes that most of us here seem to dislike.

Lowest christmas day audience since expansion to 5 games
Lowest rated finals game 1 in 15 years

Compared to non covid years or asterisk bubble title years

The ratings for celtics heat g7 were the lowest for a conference finals g7 in 17 years
Game 2 averaged over 7 million less viewers than the 5 game 2s from 2015 to 2019

NBA average local viewership this year rose 5% over last year, it's still 40% lower than it was in 2015

I dont get why you keep bringing the woke stuff up, I dont think anyone cares about that. People whining about that ended up watching the NFL anyway, its ratings sky rocketed

I love the association, but comparing it to CFB is crazy in terms of future prospects or viewership

In the US It's basically

NFL

CFB

Any other sport

Football is and for our lifetimes will always be king

The ratings for celtics heat g7 were the lowest for a conference finals g7 in 17 years
Game 2 averaged over 7 million less viewers than the 5 game 2s from 2015 to 2019

NBA average local viewership this year rose 5% over last year, it's still 40% lower than it was in 2015

I dont get why you keep bringing the woke stuff up, I dont think anyone cares about that. People whining about that ended up watching the NFL anyway, its ratings sky rocketed

I love the association, but comparing it to CFB is crazy in terms of future prospects or viewership

In the US It's basically

NFL

CFB

Any other sport

Which makes me angry that the people who profit from football‘s popularity still have to be greedy and ruin the college version of it by trying to make even more money off it

Heh @B.A.R.

Notre Dame is looking to stay put as an independent, per CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodds

Just let me know your preference of toilet paper and I'll get it to you.

Last edited:
Heh @B.A.R.

Notre Dame is looking to stay put as an independent, per CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodds

Just let me know your preference of toilet paper and I'll get it to you
NBC gives notre dame 15 milly a year for their tv rights, the deal runs out in 2025 but that's what it is now

The b1g in a few years is gonna get a tv deal from fox that's in the billions

They've also said they are going to have at least 2 packages, maybe more, like the NFL does (espn gets mnf, nbc snf, Amazon Thursday, cbs and fox sundays)

Its widely expected apple and amazon are both going to be bidding for the smaller package(s), fox is getting the big one for sure, but media people saying this week nbc has already told people they would be interested in say a notre dame package if they were in the b1g, or just a package in general, cbs will be too since the sec will be on espn by then

Also interesting sort of tangent, but athletic had an article with a few writers, and I think andy staples said that everyone expects them to get to 20 teams by the next new tv deal, if it's not Notre dame it wont automatically be Oregon and Washington tho, said they are chasing brands and not worried about market size anymore, and may want to go south for some teams to become a national conference, he mentioned miami, North Carolina and Georgia tech as options.

Clemson is out there too, I'd expect both b1g and sec make a push soon before tv seal signed, staying in the ACC would be crazy when the the big two conferences are basically going to decide the new playoff format. All these fv deals come up in next 2 or 3 years

It's just going to be too much money, the sec and b1g teams are going to get so much more money than anyone else, including an independent notre dame

So they can say no for now, but they are in a conference by the time this shakes out and new tv deals are finalized, no way around it,

This whole notion of education meaning anything to these conferences is laughable but the Big Ten does act like they care about it. At least the SEC knows what it is and doesn't pretend to care about education.
The ACC has always considered itself the top academic conference outside the Ivy League, and that fact has always meant a lot to the conference and its member schools. In 1960, the ACC implemented a minimum SAT score for incoming student-athletes of 750, the first conference to do so. This minimum was raised to 800 in 1964, but it was ultimately struck down by a federal court in 1972. That's why Clemson, Maryland, and Duke stopped going to bowls in the 1960's and why the ACC had no national titles in basketball between 1957 and 1974. Academics is the reason Clemson has never been interested in joining the SEC.

Surely things have changed, but I have no idea how much.

Serious question. WTF do you do with a philosophy degree? What jobs are you targeting…I genuinely have no effing idea…
For me, the options were going to law school and going to AOCS, but investment banks in New York are (or were) happy to take philosophy majors from Ivy League schools. I just didn't interview with them.

How is the outlook good for fans of non power programs. I think its completely insane to think this is good for fans of programs outside of the top 20 or so schools.
And I doubt it's good for fans of top-20 schools. Just adding Arkansas and South Carolina was enough to bring an end to the UF/Auburn series, for example.

The idea that young people dont watch live tv is a fallacy, ratings were up for cfb this year, ratings are climbing every year in the nfl
Do we know the age demographic breakdown for CFB tv viewership? Also haven't playoff ratings been trending downward (my apologies if thats not true)?

I believe the original discussion was that the cfb changes were going to make the sport a more attractive tv viewing option for newer, younger fans. And that's what I disagree with. This is still a regional sport.

I will give you my very small sample size example here. But living in nyc, and having younger teenage family members and talking to them and their friends, etc. None of these kids could name more than 1-2 CFB players (and if they do it's only for NFL draft purposes) but will spend hours talking about NBA stats, NFL fantasy leagues, etc. I suspect this is similar for young people living in other big market/non cfb cities.

I just don't see where you're drawing the new, younger fans from. This is still a sport that relies on alumni connection and communities with ties to the local university and tradition/rivalries.

Last edited:
National games in the nba averaged 1.6 million viewers, college gameday averaged more at 1.9

The ratings arent huge around the world, they are popular in the phillipines mostly, with small viewership in brazil, australia, Argentina, spain having the, most gains. The NBA is not a global league, most Europeans watch their league.

Basketball is a global game but the nba isnt a global league, its nowhere near the actual global sports like soccer and cricket, or even things like F1

go and look at TOTAL TV DOLLARS NBA over the course of a regular season + the playoffs.

of course CFB (a game i love btw) is going to avg more viewers -- it's 12 saturdays vs 82 NBA game regular season !!!

In the US It's basically

NFL

CFB

Any other sport

this site is full of people who constantly want to take shots at the NBA. most of them taking the shots, hate the wokeness and BLM movement.

i get it, the VAST MAJORITY of posters here are white guys between ages of 35 and 45, and learned their politics and their religion from their mommies and daddies.

now, back to the point: why was the NBA brought up by a poster in this thread?

why are we not talking about CFB tv ratings vs NHL, MLB, golf, autoracing?

why does it always seem to come back to the NBA?

are you guys not able to keep your antiwoke antiBLM bullshit under wraps in at least one thread?

BAR and VACAVs, as white as they come (i am talking CULTURE not physical color).

disgusting.

this site is full of people who constantly want to take shots at the NBA. most of them taking the shots, hate the wokeness and BLM movement.

i get it, the VAST MAJORITY of posters here are white guys between ages of 35 and 45, and learned their politics and their religion from their mommies and daddies.

now, back to the point: why was the NBA brought up by a poster in this thread?

why are we not talking about CFB tv ratings vs NHL, MLB, golf, autoracing?

why does it always seem to come back to the NBA?

are you guys not able to keep your antiwoke antiBLM bullshit under wraps in at least one thread?
Bro, take the woke and BLM shit to the politics forum.

Not ONE word was mentioned in this thread about it till you got into it.

You are dragging up a convo from two summers ago(into the fall)... When in fact... The NBA ratings tanked exactly because of that garbage.

Honestly, I think the convo here has been pretty chill...
This thread was fine till Majent started his diatribe last week.

Fairly enough, no one bit on it. Now, he's back trying to stir things up again.

Guaranteed brought facts and numbers to the equation and he simply doesn't like it.

The ACC has always considered itself the top academic conference outside the Ivy League, and that fact has always meant a lot to the conference and its member schools. In 1960, the ACC implemented a minimum SAT score for incoming student-athletes of 750, the first conference to do so. This minimum was raised to 800 in 1964, but it was ultimately struck down by a federal court in 1972. That's why Clemson, Maryland, and Duke stopped going to bowls in the 1960's and why the ACC had no national titles in basketball between 1957 and 1974. Academics is the reason Clemson has never been interested in joining the SEC.

Surely things have changed, but I have no idea how much.
Interesting stuff.

Heh @B.A.R.

Just let me know your preference of toilet paper and I'll get it to you.
Oh perfect, Dodds reported that so we are in the clear.

:rolleyes:

I'm not part of any "bet".

The likelihood that they are in a conference fully by the middle part of this decade is pretty high.

Screenshot_20220706-110412.png

This thread was fine till Majent started his diatribe last week.

Fairly enough, no one bit on it. Now, he's back trying to stir things up again.

Guaranteed brought facts and numbers to the equation and he simply doesn't like it.

he cherrypicked. i can do the same. he mentioned G1 of the NBA finals ratings but conveniently left out that it was the highest ranked TV ratings NBA finals in a decade.

overall, it was the highest ranked TV ratings NBA playoffs in 7 years.

again, i can see through all of this, White Boy.

Back