USC and UCLA to the B1G?

Just another positive step towards football and basketball eventually punting the NCAA

Crazy how slowly this whole thing is going, see where the dominoes fall. Pac absorb a couple more teams or break up? Hard to imagine they run with 10 teams too long.

Ok, here's the latest from my guy at ASU per meetings today in San Fran. Try and keep in mind part of the process is getting your travel partner to go with...

USC/UCLA to B10
Oregon/Washington trying to get to B12 or SEC
Baylor/Texas Tech to P12
San Diego St trying to get to P12

It's setting up for a few things supposedly he's predicting.

1) Power 5 conferences will break off from NCAA and do their own thing
2) If that happens, they'll be a full reorganization of AAC, CUSA, MW with those left over filling in Sun Belt, and MAC.
3) Power 5 conferences will go to Super Conferences and have their own playoffs with all players making a "salary" beyond scholarship.

We shall see, but college sports is going to look vastly different than we know it today. This was always the rumor when I was at ASU back in the day, but ASU admin and coaches all laughed it off thinking it would never happen.

Don't know how accurate/true this, but here's a proposal with the goal being each Power 5 has it's own Sweet 16 style playoff tournament

ACC
BC
Central Florida
Clemson
Duke
FSU
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
NC St
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse
UNC
Va Tech
Virginia
Wake

B12
Air Force
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Miami, OH
Memphis
Northern Illinois
Okie St
SMU
TCU
Tulsa
WVU
Wyoming

B10
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan St
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
OSU
Penn St
Purdue
Rutgers
UCLA
USC
Wisconsin

P12
Arizona
Arizona St
Baylor
Boise St
BYU
Cal
Colorado
Colorado St
Nevada
San Diego St
Stanford
Texas Tech
UNLV
Utah
Utah St
Washington St

SEC
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St
Missouri
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
TAMU
Vandy
Washington

That leaves the following without a true conference or a conference in shambles

AAC
ECU
Navy
Tulane
Temple

CUSA
Charlotte
FAU
FIU
La Tech
Marshall
MTSU
North Texas
Old Dome
Rice
Southern Miss
UAB
UTEP
UTSA
W. Kentucky

Indy
Army
Liberty
New Mexico St
UMASS

MAC
Akron
Ball St
Bowling Green
Buffalo
CMU
EMU
Kent St
Ohio
Toledo
WMU

Mountain West
Fresno St
Hawaii
New Mexico
San Jose St

Sun Belt
In tact

This is bonkers if it's remotely true

ACC need ND to commit, right?
TV deal so early, etc. They push back on all these changes the hardest(I get it), but not sure what the play is

Teams/Universities no longer have a choice. It’s conform to the BCS and TV deals or you become irrelevant.

Some of these conferences will die but it becomes more regional now and an emphasis on streaming deals. North Dakota St is a large draw…in the upper midwest. Do they go Mountain West? Do schools in Pioneer League jump to MAC?

There’s going to be some dog shit conferences and teams put together if this all happens. The rich get richer and the remaining schools may as well be DI-AA or glorified DII.

Teams/Universities no longer have a choice. It’s conform to the BCS and TV deals or you become irrelevant.

Some of these conferences will die but it becomes more regional now and an emphasis on streaming deals. North Dakota St is a large draw…in the upper midwest. Do they go Mountain West? Do schools in Pioneer League jump to MAC?

There’s going to be some dog shit conferences and teams put together if this all happens. The rich get richer and the remaining schools may as well be DI-AA or glorified DII.
You think about it, NDSU, Montana, Montana St, Sam Houston St all might be larger draws than some of these D1 programs for football

It'll be interesting to see if the sport maintains it's popularity over the coming years. This year already it looks like it's Bama, GA and OSU and then everyone else. Will this lack of competitive balance get worse or better? Will the "have nots" just finally say fuck it and give up sports altogether? I grew up near San Diego St but didn't go there. But SDSU is a commuter school - even when their CBB team is really good, they're lucky if 500 students are at a home game. Could SDSU live without having sports? I think so. If it just gets too ridiculous. Like giving HS Junior QBs $9M NIL deals. But hopefully, at the end of the day, it creates more winning betting opps.

It'll be interesting to see if the sport maintains it's popularity over the coming years. This year already it looks like it's Bama, GA and OSU and then everyone else. Will this lack of competitive balance get worse or better? Will the "have nots" just finally say fuck it and give up sports altogether? I grew up near San Diego St but didn't go there. But SDSU is a commuter school - even when their CBB team is really good, they're lucky if 500 students are at a home game. Could SDSU live without having sports? I think so. If it just gets too ridiculous. Like giving HS Junior QBs $9M NIL deals. But hopefully, at the end of the day, it creates more winning betting opps.
Most of these schools rely on alumni donations to function and those would be completely slashed without athletic programs.

But a complete divorce from the NCAA seems likely to happen sooner than later.

I heard this exact point was brought up. SDSU feels it has no other option than to try and get into the P12

Gotta think the Pac will be begging for So Cal representation after today.
But who? Just staying with Cali teams, it's Fresno and San Jose. SJSU doesn't even offer the full compliment of schollies. I think it would be huge mistake for UNLV and Colorado St to even make the jump from MW to P12 in football. Hawaii? TBH, Alaska Anchorage has better facilities than 60% of DI programs, but like Hawaii, the cost to go up there is insane.

When Grand Canyon was DII and in the Pac West the Hawaii schools would be on the road for a month straight and visiting schools 2-3 weeks on the islands. It's not sustainable.

But who? Just staying with Cali teams, it's Fresno and San Jose. SJSU doesn't even offer the full compliment of schollies. I think it would be huge mistake for UNLV and Colorado St to even make the jump from MW to P12 in football. Hawaii? TBH, Alaska Anchorage has better facilities than 60% of DI programs, but like Hawaii, the cost to go up there is insane.

When Grand Canyon was DII and in the Pac West the Hawaii schools would be on the road for a month straight and visiting schools 2-3 weeks on the islands. It's not sustainable.
Jeebus I didn’t even think of Hawaii.
The small D1 schools are gonna be done? Maybe. To think Colt Brennan slinging it and
the Island team playing in NO. Wild.

Was saying they would welcome SDSU with open arms. 110%.

This nonsense is why Jay Wright retired. He didn't want to deal with the NIL garbage and the inevitable musical chairs situation with the conferences.

losing more and more interest in this sport with each passing day

still gonna watch every single game this year. but I'm losing interest I promise you.

me too, but we don't matter.

we will be replaced by new fans.

for every fan who is like you and me, there are dozens who will be attracted to this, especially young people who are not married to the tradition, pomp, circumstance.

basically, we don't matter.

so we can make our consumption choices accordingly but it won't matter.

that big machine will keep churning and will continue to make "Oil Industry" type money.

you don't have to watch or care about major college football to still like the sport. This is what I'm finding. What I want is out there, it is just harder to follow and consume, but it is out there. If I honestly never saw another power 5 college football game it wouldn't bother me. I still need FBS group of 5 football at this point, but I can find substitutes for that too if needed.

Back