Underclassmen who are officially leaving..

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
SHSUHorn said:
Floridas just dropped quite a bit in my rankings.

I agree...

Siler was a leader on defense and one of the last to declare. They will be very young next yr and might be a yr away imo

Ginn, Pittman Declare For NFL Draft

For the second year in a row, Ohio State will lose a trio of underclassmen a year early to the NFL draft.

With today as the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft, Ted Ginn Jr. and Antonio Pittman followed Anthony Gonzalez's lead by announcing they will leave OSU for the NFL. For the second year in a row, Ohio State has lost three underclassmen a year early to the NFL draft.

Wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. and tailback Antonio Pittman each announced today that they plan to leave Ohio State a year early. Last Thursday, wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez made a similar announcement. Today is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft.

Bucknuts.com correspondent Gary Housteau reported that Pittman made his announcement during a ceremony at his alma mater, Akron Buchtel High School, just past noon.

As a junior, Pittman became just the fifth back in OSU history to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Pittman ended up his junior year with 1,233 yards and 14 touchdowns. In last Monday’s BCS national championship game loss to Florida, he had 10 carries for 62 yards with an 18-yard touchdown.

“I have decided to forego my senior season and enter the draft,” Pittman said at a ceremony in the Buchtel High gym.

Ginn quietly made his announcement this morning, releasing a statement to the media.

"I am excited to announce that I am making myself eligible for the National Football League draft," Ginn said in the statement. "I thank Coach Tressel and all those involved within The Ohio State University football program for creating such a terrific environment for me to succeed both athletically and academically."

Ginn returned the opening kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown in last Monday’s BCS national championship game loss to Florida. But he injured his foot on the play and did not return to the game. As a junior, he caught 59 passes for 781 yards and nine TDs.

He leaves as one of the most dynamic players in OSU history. Ginn scored 25 touchdowns in his three-year collegiate career. Those include two by rush, a Big Ten-record six by punt return (65, 67, 60, 82, 62 and 60 yards), 15 by reception and two by kickoff return (93 and 100 yards).

Ted Ginn Sr. discussed his son's decision with Bucknuts.com's Gary Housteau:

"As a family, we made the decision he was going to go pro," Ginn Sr. said. "We had to sit down and see what was more beneficial to him. Athletically, we thought he would be in the same position if he came back for another year. And, of course, injuries also played a part.

"After watching him get hurt in the bowl game, he realized that any major injury could end his dream of playing in the NFL.

"I think the hardest part for Teddy was how the season ended. He didn't accomplish his goal of helping his seniors go out and get the national championship. That's something that made it tough for him. It's hard to turn the atmosphere loose when you're at Ohio State. Everybody doesn't have the opportunity to live the Buckeye experience and bea part of it every week."

Ginn Sr. talked about seeing his son take the next step in his football career.

"I'm excited," he said. "It's just like how I felt when he left high school for college. But now it's his job and he will have an obligation to whoever chooses him, that organization. But, in reality, it's another step in life for him."

This threesome became the 22nd, 23rd and 24th underclassmen to declare for the draft since 1991. They are the third trio of OSU teammates to leave a year early in the same season. OL Korey Stringer and LBs Craig Powell and Lorenzo Styles all left a year early for the 1995 draft. Last year, WR Santonio Holmes, CB Ashton Youboty and DB Donte Whitner all left OSU a year early.

The others since 1991 have been: DE Alonzo Spellman, 1992 draft year; RB Robert Smith, 1993; DB Roger Harper, 1993; DL Dan Wilkinson (first overall pick), 1994; OT Korey Stringer, LB Craig Powell and LB Lorenzo Styles, 1995; WR Terry Glenn, 1996; OL Orlando Pace (first overall pick) and CB Shawn Springs, 1997; WR David Boston and WR Andy Katzenmoyer, 1999; LB Na’il Diggs, 2000; CB Nate Clements and DL Ryan Pickett, 2001; CB Derek Ross, 2002; CB Chris Gamble, 2004; TB Maurice Clarett, 2005.

Had a chance to watch Tony announce his decision. Great Day for Tony and the whole Akron family. He will be a successful player in the NFL!

JumpOnBoard said:
Pittman a special teamer u're saying??? Hmmmm.
I dont see him as a starter in this league. Too many good backs, you got to think of guys like Norwood, Jones Drew and Turner ( at SD) who will be hot commodities. Sorry man but theres not 40 teams in the league. Guys like Lynch and Peterson will have their shot before him.. IF he doesnt start he will have to be a special teamer. At best hes a third down back. :shake:

Not sure he'll start next year, but I think he'll work his way into a good player in the league...he's reliable....which goes a long ways...

Turner isn't a backup...just in bad spot..

He'll be big money maker now...

Yup, that is why i said special teamer at least for his first 4 years or so. Sure he might get an opportunity if someone gets injured, but hes not a guy scouts will look at and say oh hes a 10 year starter in this league.

abcs said:
Yup, that is why i said special teamer at least for his first 4 years or so. Sure he might get an opportunity if someone gets injured, but hes not a guy scouts will look at and say oh hes a 10 year starter in this league.

the main question I hear about him is breakaway speed...but I think he's the kind of guy that can be a good back...

But he'll have to earn his way no doubt....3rd rounder if I had to guess.

That was my point, a 3rd or 4th rounder plays special teams. Hes not gonna come in right away and start or get carries. I mean if a team like the packers who had like those 4 rbs injured that one year or the panthers last year all get hurt, then sure hell get his shot. I honestly havent seen him enough to make a judgement on how well he'll do in the future.

Vince is the only one in the almost 10 years Mack has been here that has left early.

Okam and Sweed are both coming back.

I dont care if he never starts...I do think he will come in as a 3rd down back and eventually will start. I am just happy a local dude is getting paid. He played with my little bro and is a real good kid.

He has a five month old daughter(with his long time girls), 4 siblings, his mom, his dad (who just got out of jail), and a neighborhood to look after. Good Job Tony! Another side note on his dad: He played at Purdue, had 5 kids in college!

NEXT UP: BEANIE...time to shine baby!:smiley_acbe:

SHSUHorn said:
Vince is the only one in the almost 10 years Mack has been here that has left early.

Okam and Sweed are both coming back.
THat is because they would have to take a pay cut to go to the nfl :shake:

Anyone else surprised at Brohm staying and Colt leaving?

I was ready to blindly bet Hawaii -40 vs Utah St, La Tech, Idaho, etc...

I love Troy but is value is garbage right now on most boards.....I do think he will be a steal though...

There's been two BIG questions about Troy for two years now concerning his NFL potential..

1. Height
2. Long Delivery

Both of those question marks were put in BOLD lettering on Jan 8th....Kiper dropped him from late 1st to 3-4th round...so he has a lot of combine work to do to get to Brennan's spot on the boards now...

But he's a leader and a winner and he has all the intangibles that can't be taught...that's where the comparisons to V Young are most prevelant IMO..

We'll see...

Brennan has decided to stay..

Record-breaking Brennan opts to stay at Hawaii for senior year

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Jan. 17, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports </TD><TD width=10> </TD><TD align=right><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--//var dclkFeaturesponsor='http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/sponsorships.spln.com/fs/stories/'+vTag+';'+vTarget+';'+uID+';sz=234x42;tile=5;ord='+random+'?';if (switchDclk != 'off') { if (location.search.substring(1).indexOf('DCLK')>-1) document.write('<input type="text" value="'+dclkFeaturesponsor+'" style="width:">
'); document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="'+dclkFeaturesponsor+'"><\/script>'); }// --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/sponsorships.spln.com/fs/stories/collegefootball;arena=collegefootball;feat=stories;type=psa;user=Named;ct=USA;st=NJ;ac=908;gend=M;age=A;seg=nonaol;ctype=lan;lang=en-us;lang=en-us;vpmp=yes;adv=c;cust=yes;fteam=NFL-NYG;fteam=NBA-none;fteam=MLB-none;fteam=NHL-none;fteam=NCAAF-none;fteam=NCAAB-none;pteam=NFL-none;pteam=NBA-none;pteam=MLB-none;pteam=NHL-none;pteam=NCAAF-none;pteam=NCAAB-none;fplay=TEN-none;fplay=AUTO-none;pplay=TEN-none;pplay=AUTO-none;vip=no;u=faze2;sz=234x42;tile=5;ord=45016095762084374?"></SCRIPT>
dot.gif
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10> </TD><TD>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 5px 0px 5px 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- T9937525 --><!-- Sesame Modified: 01/17/2007 20:41:46 --><!-- sversion: 2 $Updated: johnnyr$ -->HONOLULU -- Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan withdrew from the NFL Draft Wednesday and will return to school for his senior season.
Brennan on Monday filed the paperwork to make himself eligible for April's draft but said he needed more time to make up his mind. He had 72 hours to decide and ended up choosing another year running the Warriors' high-powered offense.
"I know what I'm passing up," Brennan said at a news conference. "My heart lies right here in Hawaii."
Brennan set an NCAA record with 58 touchdown passes this season, and led the nation in passing yards (5,549), passing efficiency (186) and completion percentage (72.6).
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

FULL LIST(In Alphabetical Order):

Jamaal Anderson, de, junior, Arkansas

Jon Beason, lb, junior, Miami

Alan Branch, dt, junior, Michigan

Michael Bush, rb, junior, Louisville

C.J. Gaddis, cb, junior, Clemson

Ted Ginn Jr., wr, junior, Ohio State

Anthony Gonzalez, wr, junior, Ohio State

Chris Houston, cb, junior, Arkansas

Dwayne Jarrett, wr, junior, Southern California

Calvin Johnson, wr, junior, Georgia Tech

Charles Johnson, de, junior, Georgia

Rory Johnson, lb, junior, Mississippi

Marshawn Lynch, rb, junior, California

Robert Meachem, wr, junior, Tennessee

Zach Miller, te, junior, Arizona State

Jarvis Moss, de, junior, Florida

Reggie Nelson, s, junior, Florida

Greg Olsen, te, junior, Miami

Adrian Peterson, rb, junior, Oklahoma

Antonio Pittman, rb, junior, Ohio State

Maurice Price, wr, junior, Charleston Southern

Darrelle Revis, cb, junior, Pittsburgh

Sidney Rice, wr, sophomore, South Carolina

JaMarcus Russell, qb, junior, LSU

Lawrence Timmons, lb, junior, Florida State

Darius Walker, rb, junior, Notre Dame

Danny Ware, rb, junior, Georgia

Eric Wright, db, junior, UNLV

Dont forget about Chris Leak!!!

Anyway Im not that sold on troy smith.. he did play well in all but one of his big games. Just dont see the upside with him.

abcs said:
smardzja to the cubs.. good news for rice

Good news for Rice is right but I still think Robert Meachem is the deciding factor for Rice..

#1 Calvin
#2 Jarrett- feel free to interchange with #3
#3 Ginn - Someone is taking him early simply because he runs a 4.3, don't know if he is 2nd or 3rd wr taken..

#4 - Rice VS. Meachem

Combines will determine that.. Sidney has unreal abilities when the ball is in the air, I just hope he gets his 40yard dash down to where the scouts like..

Back