mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar

Date: Nov 15, 2008
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: Pay Per View

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)
  • Champ Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar (for UFC heavyweight title)
  • Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
  • Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
  • Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
  • Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry
PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)
  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
  • Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
  • Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
  • Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
  • Matthew Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas

UFC 91 televised main card finalized

The UFC has confirmed a total of five televised fights for the Nov. 15 "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar" event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The pay-per-view event is headlined by a UFC heavyweight championship fight between current title-holder Randy Couture, who returns from a one-year layoff following a contract dispute with the UFC, and former WWE superstar and UFC rookie Brock Lesnar.

Four other bouts, including a key lightweight bout between contenders Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson, will also be on the televised card.

They'll be joined by "The Ultimate Fighter 7" winner Amir Sadollah, heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga, and "TUF 1" alumnus Nate Quarry.

Unfortunately, relegated to the night's preliminary card are many of the UFC's top prospects, including new Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Dustin Hazelett, the high-energy Jeremy Stephens and hard-hitting "TUF 7" quarter-finalist Matt Riddle.

Randy Couture says size won't matter with Brock Lesnar at UFC 91

The belief of many MMA experts leading up to Randy Couture's comeback fight against Tim Sylvia in March of 2007 was that "The Natural," gifted as he was, just couldn't overcome Sylvia's massive size advantage.

Couture was giving up six inches in height and some 40 pounds in weight, along with 13 years in age, in fighting for the first time in more than a year. At the time, the analysis made sense. After all, Couture's difficulty in sizing up against super-sized heavyweights in losses to Ricco Rodriguez and Josh Barnett helped convince Couture to move to light heavyweight to extend his career.

However, Couture used the time away from mixed martial arts to reinvent himself and retool his game -- an over-40 renaissance that landed him on top 10 pound-for-pound lists after scintillating victories over Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Some 18 months later, after dispatching Sylvia in one of the most dominant performances of his career, Couture is hearing the same song, only a different verse.

When Couture faces Brock Lesnar in the main event of UFC 91 on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas, the 45-year-old Couture will once again be the smaller man in the octagon. While he'll be able to look the former WWE star in the eye, Couture will likely give away more than 45 pounds.

It's a scenario that Couture has attempted to simulate in his preparation for the fight.

"I brought Josh Hendricks in. He's actually fighting on the same card against Gabe Gonzaga," Couture told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He's a 245-pound guy with a wrestling background -- a collegiate wrestler at Oklahoma State, my alma mater. I've got guys like Mike Whitehead and a bunch other guys that walk around 240, 250 with good, solid wrestling backgrounds. ... We've got a good crew. They're pushing me and ganging up on me. It's hard to find guys like Brock that are that size and move the way he moves."

Lesnar represents an entirely different challenge for Couture than the one posed by Sylvia. Lesnar is quick and athletic. He also has wrestling skills on par with Couture's. Sylvia had none of those attributes, and Couture took full advantage by initiating the striking with Sylvia, getting him to the ground in the first round and completely baffling and frustrating the champion. Couture expects to draw up a similar plan for Lesnar.

"The more I can make a big guy like that move and make him work, and threaten to take him down ... just because he's 270 pounds doesn't mean I can't take him down. I've taken down bigger guys," Couture said. "So, I can create that threat and that fear in his mind that he's going to end up on the bottom, which is someplace he's not used to being. Those are things that I can focus on, and use speed and mobility and those things as advantages for me."

While the match-up with Lesnar isn't the one Couture -- or many fans -- coveted during his rift with the UFC, Couture's desire to get back in the cage outweighed his craving to tangle with Fedor Emelianenko.

"You have to keep things in perspective," Couture said. "At 45 years old, the window is closing all the time, and that's a realistic view. I'm the best fighter I've been right now, and I need to use these tools while they're still here."

<TABLE class="matchupBox fontsize10" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=evenRow><TD class=leftColumn><SMALL>8:30 PM</SMALL></TD><TD class=rightColumn><TABLE class="" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=rotCell></TD><TD class=teamCell>BROCK LESNAR</TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell><LABEL class=""><INPUT class=chkbox type=checkbox value=773542_206_4_0_-135_MU name=game>-135</LABEL></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rotCell></TD><TD class=teamCell>RANDY COUTURE</TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell><LABEL class=""><INPUT class=chkbox type=checkbox value=773542_206_5_0_105_MU name=game>+105</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class=leftColumn><SMALL>7:00 PM</SMALL></TD><TD class=rightColumn><TABLE class="" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=rotCell></TD><TD class=teamCell>JOE STEVENSON</TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell><LABEL class=""><INPUT class=chkbox type=checkbox value=790123_206_4_0_145_MU name=game>+145</LABEL></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rotCell></TD><TD class=teamCell>KENNY FLORIAN</TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell></TD><TD class=selectCell><LABEL class=""><INPUT class=chkbox type=checkbox value=790123_206_5_0_-175_MU name=game>-175</LABEL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think Randall Couture is overrated bigtime. I mean does anyone really think beating Gonzaga and Tim SLYVIA really means much--

Sylvia showed how good he was when he fought FEDOR and Gonzago where is he these days? THe win over Gonxago was like beating King KONG because gonzago beat Cro COP--

Couture is very very overrated- he could not beat Big Nog, Barnett, Arlovski, Mir,

Lesnar is stronger, younger, and way more powerfull, Couture is not taking him down, if he thinks he can, he will lose--

Public perception is that Couture is so damn good even though he has a good career he is nowhere near as good as anyone thinks he is--

Fedor would send Randy him with 2 minutes-

i think im going to stay away from that fight and yah i do agree with u sammy that randy is a bit overrated and brock is unproven and thats why the line is where its at. Randy does have problems with the bigger wrestlers from past history like barnett and it will be very interesting to watch, but i do believe randy is better than he was when he fought those figthers. Randy is a very very very smart fighter and always comes with a good gameplan though but skill wise i agree a bit overrated. I do think this goes to a decision. I dont see anyone getting finished.

Stevenson is overrated too i took kflo -160 for a couple units a week ago.

Brock doesn't deserve this shot at the title, but I think he takes it rather easy.

"Old man strength" is a novelty amongst us non fighters, but not in this one.

Even though Brock only has 2 years of MMA experience under his belt, that should certainly be more than enough to defend anything Randy will do.

2 wrestlers going at it, you must give the nod to the one 13 years younger, and twice as big.

I just locked in Lesnar -120 before I clicked submit....

Good bet Hoopstar-----

I think Couture is at the point where he is ready to retire, I think the layoff has to hurt a 45 year old man--

Lesnar on the other hand has been training consistently adn will be in good shape and very very strong- Couture was able to throw around Gonxago but i dont think he can throw around lesnar who will be at least 275 lbs---

the weight difference should be around 30 pounds at least

Wish they'd release a line on Maia vs Quarry. I have never been able to bet Maia at a decent price, and I doubt I get one here.

<table bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="1" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#000000">
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UFC 91 Odds[/FONT]​
</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
5dimes64x24.png
BetOnFightingButton.png
BetUsButton.png
<!-- Affiliate Code Do NOT Modify-->
impressions.asp
<!-- End affiliate Code-->​
BodogButton.png
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Brock Lesnar</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Randy Couture</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
+105
even
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Kenny Florian</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Joe Stevenson</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
+160
+145
+135
+137
+150
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mismatch between Ken-Flo and Joe Daddy. Ken-Flo is very slick on the ground and his striking has improved each fight. If Joe get's caught with those elbows, he'll be bleeding like a mofo.

Demian Maia....very underrated. Quarry would want love to keep this fight standing up. When it goes to the ground, he'll get submitted. Maia is no joke on the ground.

I don't know how good Quarry is in defending submission/transitions, but he'll have his hands full....."Bait & Switch"

Demian Maia....very underrated.

I wish the lines on his fights would indicate that, but I think the oddsmakers are well aware this is a guy that is well-rounded in most ground attacks but also quick enough to be a great standup fighter.

You think Maiaa can beat Quarry? Is Quarry the guy who sent Kalib Starnes out of the UFC, he looked mighty impressive---

This Maiaa guy is good on the ground and very good also, just a guy that wins everywhere and is lethal on the ground, Quarry looked good vs Starnes, like a wicked kickboxer, he is built like a tank--

Tough match dont know enough about either guy--

BUt like Lesnar to beat up Couture good,

Good health guys. I don't think Lesnar has the experience to beat the Natural. All Lesnar has to do is make 1 mistake and he's done, similar to hat he did vs. Mir.

Good health guys. I don't think Lesnar has the experience to beat the Natural. All Lesnar has to do is make 1 mistake and he's done, similar to hat he did vs. Mir.
i dont think randy has the submission skills to pull of what Mir did. Mir was a split second away from losing that fight as he was getting pounded on the ground.

The only way i see randy pulling off a submission would be via Rear naked choke and he would have to take Lesnar's back to do that, which is very unlikely.

FYI....

I have loaded up on Lesnar.

I have him at -115, -125, -130 now.

Not all in as of now, but to win 5u so far.

i might be out of town on saturday (i have a wedding to attend) so i think i'm going miss this....

i have to believe Lesnar will win over Randy though.. until i see somebody manhandle or move around a HW like Lesnar was able to do against Mir and Crazyhorse, it will be a very large task beating him without a submission of some sort....

i just wish we could see more of Lesnar in the cage against lesser, or less qualified fighters before they gave him a title shot against Randy..... it's just too soon for him to have earned that oppurtunity in any way....

yup - copy and paste, highlight all the text, click remove links, change font color to white and you should be good to go....

here is the updated card (catone/sadollah fight was scratched due to amir's leg infection)....

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

• Champ Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar (for UFC heavyweight title)
  • Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
  • Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
  • Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry
  • Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

• Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
  • Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
  • Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
  • Matt Brown vs. Ryan Thomas

anyone know about that Tamden McCrory guy? I see a few guys on Hazlett.

Also. How is gurgel still in the UFC. He sucks so bad

anybody actually buying this shit?

Horrible card.

I'd spend 150 on UFC 92 before 50 on this one I think.

well it looks like Dana White believes they will set a record with PPV buys....

i have my doubts , but who knows how big a fan base Lesnar can pull in with a title fight.... he's seems to really be counting on bringing over lots of WWE fans to the UFC from this....

UFC's Dana White: UFC 91 will set UFC record for PPV buys

UFC 91 is poised to be the highest-grossing pay-per-event in the promotion's history, according to UFC President Dana White.

Appearing this week on "ESPN First Take," White said Brock Lesnar's cross-over appeal will spur many WWE fans to buy the show, helping to generate what White estimates will be more than one million buys.

"We think we're going to do 1.2 million buys on this fight," White said on the show. "It's a big fight. ... (With) the WWE cross-over for this fight, a lot of WWE fans are going to tune in to see if their former wrestling champion can win in a real fight. Vince McMahon might even buy this fight."

If UFC 91 delivers that number, it will be the biggest in UFC history, surpassing the UFC 66 buy rate of 1.05 million.

UFC 66 took place in December 2006 and featured a main event of then-UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz. The event, which drew a record live gate of $5.4 million, also featured Forrest Griffin vs. Keith Jardine.

Lesnar faces champion Randy Couture for the UFC heavyweight title in the UFC 91 main event Saturday night. The event takes place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Dana White: UFC 91's Florian vs. Stevenson winner gets title shot

LAS VEGAS -- Although largely expected, Kenny Florian was surely happy to learn that his UFC 91 co-main event fight with Joe Stevenson will earn the winner a guaranteed title shot. For real this time.

UFC President Dana White promised the winner a shot at B.J. Penn's lightweight belt during today's UFC 91 press conference in the main lobby of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Performify's Picks for "UFC 91: Lesnar vs. Couture"

Results of 4-1 for +5.3 units on UFC 90 brings the running total for my public predictions since UFC 75 to 60-47 for +26.085 units. Let's see if we can't build on that success with another strong event.

Don't forget to check out our exclusive sports wagering promotion for "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar." MMAjunkie.com and Bodog are giving away five gym bags -- each stuffed with an assortment of MMA-related prizes, including authentic MMA gloves, sweatshirts, T-shirts and more. Check out this post for more details.

Now, onto the picks.

Randy Couture (+110) vs. Brock Lesnar (-140)

Not much has changed since I initially broke this fight down in FIGHT Magazine (and here on MMAjunkie.com). But for those who missed my previous article and don't want to take the time to revisit it, here's my two-minute drill.

The 45-year-old Couture's return will be his first action since August 2007 at UFC 74, where he defended his title against Gabriel Gonzaga. Holder of a 16-8 MMA record (13-5 UFC) and already a member of the UFC Hall of Fame, Couture displays decent stand-up skills with good head movement. He is most dangerous from the clinch, where he is equally likely to punish you with dirty boxing or dump you to the ground. Once he has you down, Couture holds top position and depends on ground and pound rather than submissions.

Ring rust is popular topic for pundits in this fight (and obviously a major concern), but Couture has not been particularly active in the latter part of his career to begin with. He fought only twice in 2005, once in 2006, and twice in 2007.

Lesnar made his MMA debut in K-1 in June 2007 against Min Soo Kim (3-6), winning by TKO via ground and pound. In February 2008, Lesnar made his big-stage debut at UFC 81 against former heavyweight champion Frank Mir. There, Lesnar secured an early takedown and looked to be overwhelming his opponent, but he was penalized a point for hitting Mir in the back of the head. Following another takedown by Lesnar, Mir secured a kneebar and forced a quick submission. Lesnar rebounded by defeating Heath Herring by unanimous decision at UFC 87 in August, which brought his MMA record to 2-1 (1-1 UFC).

Couture is listed as 6-foot-1 and 228 pounds. His opponent stands 6-foot-3 and has to cut 15 pounds to make the heavyweight top limit of 265, giving Lesnar a realistic 40-pound weight advantage on fight night.

This fight presents several interesting dichotomies: age vs. youth, strategy vs. aggression, and veteran vs. rookie. To me, the most relevant comparison is not where the fighters differ; it's where they are the same. It's easy to enumerate Lesnar's inexperience against Couture's fantastic gameplanning, or Lesnar's incredible speed against Couture's age. More overlooked is that Couture's typical areas of strength -- speed, wrestling and physical power -- are all areas of weaknesses when compared to Lesnar. Lesnar is insanely fast, amazingly strong, and thanks in no small part to that speed and strength, he possesses top-notch wrestling ability, including explosive takedowns and a dominant top game (from what we've seen of it, anyway).

Conversely, Lesnar's main weakness is not Couture's area of strength. We know that Lesnar is not exactly a submission-defense expert. However, Couture has only two submission victories to his credit in an 11-year career: a victory via anaconda choke over Mike van Arsdale (1-4 UFC) at UFC 54 in 2005, and a victory via rear-naked choke over Tony Halme (0-1 UFC) in his UFC debut in 1997 at UFC 13. Coincidentally, Halme wrestled for the WWF as "Ludvig Borga" from 1993-94, making Couture 1-0 so far against former professional WWF/WWE wrestlers.

Most relevant is that Couture didn't show any significant submission offense against Tim Sylvia despite controlling him in dominant positions the entire fight. Sylvia presents an attractive submission target and is much less capable of reversal and escape compared to Lesnar's phenomenal explosiveness and wrestling skills. Couture also didn't display strong submission offense in his fight with Tito Ortiz, and he was unable to apply a rear naked choke despite taking Ortiz's back. Mir's kneebar aside, I think Couture will have a hard time submitting Lesnar without getting reversed, especially given the amount of time and training Lensar's had since the quick tap against Mir.

Assuming Lesnar has the advantage in wrestling, if he can put Couture on his back, what about a submission from the bottom? Couture has almost never been put on his back, so his submission skills from there are unknown. Wrestlers aren't typically comfortable from their backs. So despite Couture's experience, I can't expect he's going show up as a submission specialist from his back. His entire career gives no indication of being strong in submissions from dominant positions, let alone defensive ones.

Couture has respect in the grappling world, stemming from a scoreless draw in a 2006 grappling match against Ronaldo "Jacare" de Souza, who is one of the top grapplers in the world. Couture had a significant size and strength advantage on the 185-pound Jacare, and he mostly spent the match on the defensive. So the scoreless draw isn't reason to upgrade his offensive submission skills (defensive, sure, but that's not so relevant here). It could also be argued that Couture struggled with larger wrestlers in his career; for example, he suffered consecutive losses to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez in 2002.

For perhaps the first time in his career, Couture is at a disadvantage in quickness, wrestling and strength. While you can never count Couture out, it's hard to see where he has an edge outside of his legendary gameplanning and in experience.

It's probable that Couture will have an edge in cardio, but that too comes from experience. The wily veteran knows to pace himself for the championship fight. Lesnar demonstrated a frentic pace in his fights, but trainer Greg Nelson will surely have him prepared for an appropriate pace as much as theoretically possible. We also can question Couture's cardio with concerns of ring rust, age and that he'll be dealing with 280 pounds of muscle on top of him the entire fight.

Couture's victory over Sylvia at UFC 68 has been given as reason why he should succeed against Lesnar. This is a very bad comparison. Sylvia, while large in stature, isn't solid muscle, isn't highly athletic, and doesn't have a world-class wrestling background. Sylvia was also hampered in the fight by a back injury. In short, Sylvia is no comparison to Lesnar.

Couture has the best ability of anyone to game plan, so he's hard to predict. Still, we can assume he will want to use his wrestling to try to keep the fight standing, probably will take the fight to Lesnar, but mostly will try to drag Lesnar into "deep water," planning on testing Lesnar's cardio. However, thanks to the factors outlined above, I believe Couture is going to be put on his back and isn't likely to threaten with submissions once there. It's certainly possible that Lesnar will indeed gas in the latter rounds, but I expect instead that we see Lesnar win a dominant five-round decision in the neighborhood of 50-44.

I believe Lesnar should be a moderate favorite over Couture. The betting line for this fight opened at Couture (-160), Lesnar (+130) on Bodog. As I quickly posted in the MMAjunkie.com MMA Forums, I predicted that money would come pouring in on Lesnar. When I wrote my previous breakdown for FIGHT! and this site, Lesnar was down to (-115) on the same book, a move of 45 points. I posted at that time that believed the true line to be Lesnar (-140), and that's exactly where we are today.

Understand that this fight represents a high-volatility outcome; even if I am precisely correct and Lesnar is exactly a (-140) favorite, he would win this fight only 58 percent of the time, making it obvious that there's still a high percentage chance for Couture to walk away with his belt.

There is also a very attractive proposition bet available for this fight on Bodog:

• Couture/Lesnar fight goes 2:30 of Round 3 (-125)
  • Couture/Lesnar fight does not go 2:30 of Round 3 (-125)
I'm a big fan of the fight going over 2:30 of Round 3 (12:30 of total fight time). This line opened with the "under" priced around +175 and has been bet steadily down, which I predicted in the previous article. I believe the "over" now represents very solid value and recommend it as a play as well.

Kenny Florian (-185) vs. Joe Stevenson (+155)

Florian (10-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Roger Huerta at UFC 87 and has won five consecutive fights. Stevenson (29-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) rebounded from a devastating loss to B.J. Penn at UFC 80 with a submission victory over Gleison Tibau at UFC 86.

This fight should be both close and exciting. Florian's reach and excellent jab and leg kicks should give him a serious edge standing while Stevenson's skills in wrestling and strength give him the edge in the clinch and should let him dictate the location of the fight. Florian is dangerous from his back, where he is able to threaten with jiu jitsu and with elbows. He frequently uses his submission skills to set up transitions and escapes, so don't be surprised if we see "Daddy" unable to hold Florian down for long. Penn was able to open a gushing cut on Stevenson, and Florian's infamous elbows will do the same if given an opening.

Stevenson is a tough opponent and a solid fighter, but I think with his growth as a fighter over the past two years, Florian is on a slightly higher level. Stevenson does have an impressive 29 wins, but he's yet to beat an opponent of this caliber, and I think at the current price as a 65% favorite that Florian is the correct bet. I predict Florian takes a unanimous decision.

Gabriel Gonzaga (-450) vs. Josh Hendricks (+300)

Gonzaga (9-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) submitted Justin McCully at UFC 86 to break a two-fight losing streak after getting TKOd by Randy Couture then Fabricio Werdum. Hendricks (15-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC), making his UFC debut, is a former All-American in wrestling for Ashland University and has won 10 consecutive fights (with a no-contest). Hendricks' last professional fight was almost a year ago. He has good grappling skills, and 10 of 15 wins have come by way of submission. With Gonzaga's ground skills negating Hendricks' best offensive weapon, combined with first-time UFC jitters, I don't believe the 25% chance of upsetting "Napao" is enough to warrant a flier on Hendricks. I predict Gonzaga takes a unanimous decision in a slow-paced fight.

Demian Maia (-210) vs. Nate Quarry (+180)

Maia (8-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is a top-tier grappler with limited but improving striking. Quarry (10-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) returns after his bizarre victory over Kalib Starnes at UFC 83. Quarry has battled injuries over the past few years and hasn't looked great in his last few fights (though you can't fault him for the train wreck against Starnes). Maia has improved his overall MMA game in his past two fights while demonstrating better-than-expected takedowns against Ed Herman's wrestling skills and improved striking against Jason MacDonald in his most recent fight.

At -210 Maia is predicted to win about 67% of the time, and I think he takes this close to three in four. Quarry has a chance if he can drag the fight into the third round and take advantage of Maia's cardio, but I don't expect it to go that long. I predict Maia by submission in the second.

Dustin Hazelett (-180) vs. Tamdan McCrory (+150)

Hazelett (11-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) has won eight of his past 10, losing to Tony DeSouza in his rookie fight for the UFC and getting TKOd by Josh Koscheck at UFC 82. Hazelett rebounded from the Koscheck loss with a very impressive victory over Josh Burkman at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale that won him both Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night honors.

McCrory (9-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is a solid and scrappy fighter with a lanky 6-foot-4 frame, which usually gives him an incredible reach advantage as a welterweight. Hazelett is also tall and lanky, three inches shorter than McCrory, but he told us he actually has a slight reach advantage in this fight. McCrory was submitted by Akihiro Gono at UFC 78, and I expect more of the same here. Look for Hazelett to close ground, take the fight to the canvas, and fire submission after submission at McCrory's lanky arms until he's successful. I predict Hazelett by submission in the second round.

Undercard:

Jorge Gurgel (-115) vs. Aaron Riley (-115)

Gurgel (12-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) is a BJJ blackbelt who faces a tough veteran opponent in Riley (26-10-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC). Riley has heavy hands and solid striking skills and is decently well-rounded. He's been training with Joe Stevenson and has been fighting for 11 years even though he's only 28. However, he's lost to every "UFC-caliber" fighter he's faced: Eddie Alvarez, Spencer Fisher, Sam Morgan, Chris Lytle, Robbie Lawler and Yves Edwards (twice).

Riley is 3-3 in his past six and hasn't really beaten any notable opponents despite a very long career. At 1-2 in his past three fight and 31 years old, Gurgel certainly isn't considered top-tier at lightweight, but he should be a bigger favorite here, if not for one huge problem. Gurgel's biggest disadvantage in this fight is his stubborn refusal to utilize his submission skills and a disappointing tendency to want to stand and bang when he's obviously outmatched in striking.

Gurgel is tough, without question, he has great cardio, and he's obviously intelligent as a top instructor. However, for whatever reason, he refuses to "fight smart" and utilize his skills in favor of putting on exciting fights. If we knew for a fact that Gurgel would be smart and avoid Riley's significant edge in striking and heavy hands, he'd be a significant favorite. However, we can't guarantee that Gurgel won't try to stand and trade, and if he does he'll most certainly lose. As such, I think the books did a great job setting this line, and I'm staying away from the coin flip.

Jeremy Stephens (-135) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (+105)

After starting strong with wins in his first two UFC fights, Stephens (13-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) looks to rebound after a disappointing unanimous decision loss to Spencer Fisher at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale. Rafael dos Anjos (11-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) makes his UFC debut riding a nine-fight win streak. The Brazilian fighter is a BJJ black belt under Aldo "Caveirinha" Januario and at 24 has been fighting professionally for four years.

Stephens is a well-rounded fighter with heavy hands and strong ground and pound. This line is set close primarily because Stephens got caught by Din Thomas in his UFC debut and the linesmakers assume dos Anjos will threaten significantly anytime the fight goes to the ground. However, Stephens has much stronger submission defense than he displayed against Thomas, and his significant advantage in striking and strong takedown defense should allow him to make this a very one-sided fight. I predict Stephens soundly beating dos Anjos on the feet with a successful implementation of a "sprawl and brawl" gameplan on his way to a unanimous decision victory.

Matt Brown (-200) vs. Ryan Thomas (+160)

Brown (7-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) looks to rebound from a close split decision loss to Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 88 when he meets Thomas (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Thomas is primarily a wrestler who has some promise but not enough to warrant a play at these odds when there are better bets elsewhere. Look for a close fight that goes to decision with either fighter capable of pulling out a 29-28 win.

Alvin Robinson (+110) vs. Mark Bocek (-140)

American Top Team's Bocek (5-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has an excellent top game but is weak in striking and has been extremely limited from his back. Robinson (9-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has solid striking skills and good work in the clinch. Bocek has proven too one-dimensional to hang with Robinson's wrestling and striking. I feel Robinson is worth a solid play here. Robinson by unanimous decision.

Performify's Picks for UFC 91:

• Lesnar/Couture over 2:30 of Round 3 (-125) : 2.5u to win 2u
  • Kenny Florian (-185) : 1u to win .54u
  • Demian Maia (-210): 4.2u to win 2u
  • Dustin Hazelett (-180) : 3.6u to win 2u
  • Jeremy Stephens (-135): 1.35u to win 1u
  • Alvin Robinson (+110): .5u to win .55u

I'm already on lesnar to win 4 units. I may add florian to win 4 more.

I just see Coutorres ring rust being a big factor and and like the article says his strenghs are big time weknesses in this fight.

I think the Florian fight goes to the ground and Ken Flo either opens him up with elbows or submits him from his back.

GL guys

Florian should win right?

I like him not sure about randall couture----

Randall might give brock trouble but he might be old also

Can someone please post the winner of the lesnar fight when they have it

I'm stuck working at this bar that refused to order it, even after I volunteered to work for free if they ordered it

Back