Tuesday-Wednesday & Thursday Playoff Action

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I will just combine the plays and analysis for the mid-week games in this thread.

Tuesday

New Jersey @ Toronto:

We cannot be suprised by game one whatsoever. This is a veteran New Jersey team that has won many road playoff games before. If not for their maddening inconsistency I would have thought the 5 points was a gift in game one. Well, the Nets did what they had to do and shopwed the young Raptors a lesson. This is obviously a must win for Toronto. You cannot go on the road down 0-2 in a playoff series. That being said I think its a 50/50 shot at best they cover this spread. I think New Jersey is a better team and even with desperation this will be a tight ballgame. Its going to be an uptempo affair in my opinion with much more scoring. The total has risen since open and I will bite as well...

New Jersey/Toronto Over 193.5 -110 2 units

Miami @ Chicago

I said before Game one I would play this both times. Nothing has changed for myself after Game one. I know many will say that Kirk and Gordon struggled and they will be better. Thats fine, Wade and O'Neal will play more while Deng won't look like an MVP either(althought he is the biggest rising star in league right now). I love how the officiating went in game one. Flash and Fatboy had a combined 11 fouls. O'Neal ripped Rush in the media. Things will be different come tonight. This is the NBA. Its predictable.

Looking back statistaically at Game one..The Bulls outrebounded Miami 46-33. They also had 10 more assists. Cobversely, the Heat had 4 more 3 balls hit the bottom of the net. O'Neal was dominant sans the fouls. I expect another performance such as tonight. Miami controls the 4th and goes back home tied up in the series...

Miami ML +150 8 units

LA Lakers @ Phoenix

The under was one of the easier calls we will get in these playoffs. Its always nice to beat a total by 30-some points. Thats the pace the Lakers need to play in order to have a chance in this series. They broke down in the 4th as they typically do when Bryant is hot early. They are so much better with Kobias playing the PG role and being a closer. We'll see what Phil has up his sleeves tonight. I like the under again and think Lakers give them a fight. I'll stick to the total though...

LA-Phoenix u207 -110 2 units

Wednesday

Washington @ Cleveland

I really have no interest in this series. Hell, even Stern kept this bad-boy off national TV. You know how pissed he must be not to have Bron on ABC..lol.

Game two should be much like game one. Cleveland will win somewhere near the number. Total has been adjusted though since game one. Tough call there.

Golden State @ Dallas

That certainly was a fun Game one(lol). A lot of specualtion going into that game and you Warrior backers should be proud. Hell, I was happy they won SU if Dallas wasn't going to cover the spread. It adds intrigue to what was already an intriguing series and will open up some good spots down the line here.

Many times a road team gets game one and is happy with a split going home. Some veteran teams will push to get both to essentially close out a series. I put Golden State in the former. They will play their game but I think Dallas will play unbelievable(cross fingers). The Warriors are not a defensive gem waiting to be unturned. They still suck on that end and I see Dallas being highly profecient this game. It will be a much higher scoring game and I think Dallas runs away with it late...

Dallas -9.5 -110 6 units

Denver @ San Antonio

Short and sweet: San Antonio is winning this game. By how much? I don;t know. Thats the problem in this game. Now, San Antonio is also winning game 3 in Denver or at worst Game 4. Most likely Game 3. I will sit this one out and wait for a low line up in Denver.

Great defense by the Nuggets in game one. Lack of fire by the Spurs. Iverson played under control and Anthony has already showed us in his young career he is up for the playoff challenge. This could prove to be a great series. I would say it goes 6 now. In all honesty I hope I am wrong as I would love to see the Nuggets win this..

Thursday

Detroit @ Orlando

Line is right where it should be. The normal six-point swing for change of venue. In reality this should be a huge play on Detroit. Then again, Detroit hasn't swept a series since 1990 I believe(vs PACERS). They simply have a misstep on road in so many series.

Detroit recent game 3's on road

Lost @ Miami
Lost @ Cleveland
Lost @ Milwaukee
Lost @ Indiana
Lost @ Philadelphia
Lost @ New Jersey

The last game 3 they won on road was in the First Round in 2004 @ Milwaukee. That was after losing game 2 though it should be noted.

We know about the obvious mismatches in this series. Detroit can do what they want basically. Now, the old disturbing Detroit trend came into play in the last five minutes of game two. They just let Chauncey dribble the ball and don't set up a play till under 10 in shot-clock. The offense bogs down badly and thats why they let a lot of teams back into games.

The two games at Orlando this year were 'pure' Pistons. They dominated the 4th quarters with tempo and stifling defense. The Magic have a difficult time in the 4th qaurters of slow down agmes against Detroit in the scoring department.

Pass for now...

Houston @ Utah

Well, unline the Orlando line this one isn't to form. A 9-point swing in the line from venue-to-venue. makes you wonder what is so special about this Utah team. They can play a good half here or there or can ride a potent Boozer for a game. In all honesty this team is done and they know it. Can they respond big-time at home? Absolutely. Will they? I wouldn;t bet on it. I'll take Value with 2 of the best 8 players in the NBA

Houston +4 -110 4 units

Das it....gl to all.:cheers:

Glad we're on the same side on the Dallas/GSW and Hou/Utah series', they seem to be very controversial on the board. I think the Bulls pull it off tonight, and win the series, but everyone loves the Heat, so it may just be a no play for me ... BOL

G'n'R, I had planned intially to take the side both games in a just in case scenario. I love teams one, that I already palnned on taking anyway, and two, who got dicked over in the first game by officials. That is magnified even more when its a "Stern" team..lol

Hey Big...

Thanks for the LuckyCharms post over at covers! I knew you were floating around somewhere. As you already know...today...I'm on:

NJ +5.5

NJ/TOR UNDER 193.5...the over differential I come up with is very low at 1.77...hence my reasoning for the under play.

CHI -3.5...I may have to change this one...cuz...I originally liked MIA...but I was looking at their past poor performances on the road in the playoffs..and I changed my pick. MIA on the road during the playoffs in the 1st round is 2-7 ATS...and the 2 games that they did cover were the final games in the series in 2006 and 2005. I'm gonna stick with CHI -3.5 and only wager a small amount:)

LAL +9.5...me thinks...history is gonna repeat itself here.

LAL/PHO UNDER 207.5...ah...finally one we agree on.

GLTU,
SLD

:smiley_acbk: ...BTW...how did you get my picture???? LOL:smiley_acbe:

sportsladyd, i saw your post over on c*vers asking where BAR went. i went to your profile over there looking for your email but you didnt have one up. however, i see you were contacted.

glad to see you here. welcome.

kirk struggled. gordon almost had a trip double, (24,7,11); he didnt struggle.

wade and shaq should play better but wallace frustrates shaq.

nobody on miami can guard deng. hes lickign his chops in this series. why you think riley sent posey after him a while back?

gl tongiht bar im colliding with you once more in this series.

Thanks for the LuckyCharms post over at covers! I knew you were floating around somewhere. As you already know...today...I'm on:

NJ +5.5

NJ/TOR UNDER 193.5...the over differential I come up with is very low at 1.77...hence my reasoning for the under play.

CHI -3.5...I may have to change this one...cuz...I originally liked MIA...but I was looking at their past poor performances on the road in the playoffs..and I changed my pick. MIA on the road during the playoffs in the 1st round is 2-7 ATS...and the 2 games that they did cover were the final games in the series in 2006 and 2005. I'm gonna stick with CHI -3.5 and only wager a small amount:)

LAL +9.5...me thinks...history is gonna repeat itself here.

LAL/PHO UNDER 207.5...ah...finally one we agree on.

GLTU,
SLD

:smiley_acbk: ...BTW...how did you get my picture???? LOL:smiley_acbe:

I do think the Lakers are the side here. I just cannot pull trigger yet. Its all about how Kobias approaches the first half. I won't put anything past Phil though. Lakers very well may win this SU.

Miami will get the benefit tonight of the refs and I think we'll see a dominant performance outta O'Neal. He just overpowers the Bulls frontline. Gonna be a good game though. Hinrich and Gordon will play much better.

LOL-hadn't see you post in awhile and stumbled upon a thread of yours yesterday. Figured it was time to get some of that old mojo back for yas:cheers:

LMAO about the picture:smiley_acbe:

kirk struggled. gordon almost had a trip double.

wade and shaq should play better but wallace frustrates shaq.

nobody on miami can guard deng. hes lickign his chops in this series. why you think riley sent posey after him a while back?

gl tongiht bar im colliding with you once more in this series.

exactly how?

O'neal was 8 for 10 with 17 points i nthe first half.

I have watched ben against Shaq for many years. Shaq was unstoppable in the 2004 Finals. He was a a force in 2005 EC Finals. Last year he was unreal. Trust me, Ben is a great off the ball defender but one on one with O'neal he has no chance. Shaq was on his way to a unreal game before the odd officiating happened

look at the adjustments that were made at half by skiles regarding defending shaq.

look at the adjustments that were made at half by skiles regarding defending shaq.

Not to discredit Skiles but the only adjustments made were the fouls which rendered O'Neal ineffective in his "26" minutes of action.

I agree Shaq will get alot of calls tonight and Wade will probably play better. Bulls are a hard team to bet because they rely on the jumper so much. If they are cold they can lose by 20 if there hot they win. They were hot game 1 but with no inside game to depend on they are hit or miss

supersav, the bulls had more shots in the paint than the heat did in game 1.

and the bulls shoot the 2n best from 3 pt land in the nba. they were 3-17 in game 1. you think they will repeat this?

which foul are you upset about?

overall...several..lol

Listen...in reality I was glad to see a Miami Heat game where they were not the benefactors.

This is the NBA though. You should know being a life-long Bulls fan. You had Phil Jackson as your coach. He was the biggest snake going throught the media and what-not to get his teams calls. He still does it. He was masterful. Riley, O'neal and Wade know this shit too.

You'll see. If Miami gets calls and the Bulls still out do them then I will be very impressed.

GL tonight..enjoy your evening out at the Bars!:cheers:

while your case for going through the media to get calls is one i cant dispute. i can counter and say that teh team taht hustles the most and shows the most heart will get more than their fair share of calls, as well.

while your case for going through the media to get calls is one i cant dispute. i can counter and say that teh team taht hustles the most and shows the most heart will get more than their fair share of calls, as well.
I won't disagree with that. Chicago did that in Game one. I won;t put it past the Poseys, Mournings and Haslmes of this Miami team to step their games up to match the Bulls intensity in Game 2

Hmmmm whats wrong with my signature?

Hater in the house?????

e97139gjmb9.jpg

All the cappers I have a ton of respect for (which includes you obviously) are on the heat, and here I am on the Bulls. I lowered my wager as a result.

You make some excellent points though.

Best of luck tonight.

I like Dallas btw.

Golden State @ Dallas

That certainly was a fun Game one(lol). A lot of specualtion going into that game and you Warrior backers should be proud. Hell, I was happy they won SU if Dallas wasn't going to cover the spread. It adds intrigue to what was already an intriguing series and will open up some good spots down the line here.

Many times a road team gets game one and is happy with a split going home. Some veteran teams will push to get both to essentially close out a series. I put Golden State in the former. They will play their game but I think Dallas will play unbelievable(cross fingers). The Warriors are not a defensive gem waiting to be unturned. They still suck on that end and I see Dallas being highly profecient this game. It will be a much higher scoring game and I think Dallas runs away with it late...

Dallas -9.5 -110 6 units
True, "many times a road team gets game one and is happy with a split going home". But you don't tell us is that the case here. It's like saying "coffee makes your teeth brown" and then advertising a brand of tooth paste, not claiming nor denying that it actually removes coffee stains. In this situation, it's important to listen what the Warriors have to say between game 1 and game 2 to find out are they happy or do they think their journey has just begun.

It's not true that Warriors suck in defense. Defense is mostly about willpower, then tactics, and then individual player ability in defense. They won game 1 with defense. Or does anyone think Dallas just had a bad shooting night, scoring 85 points? Most of the credit for their 35.3% FG goes to Warriors' defense. BTW, Nellie's midgets scored 40 pts in the paint and their PG had 10 boards in one quarter. Dallas scored 38 in the paint.

I see no valid explanation for this pick, and kill me but I can't see the value in Dallas -9.5. Especially not with such a high stake. Let's stop calling GSW 7-1 over DAL a fluke. I'm waiting to see the Mavs show they can hurt GSW in any aspect of the game. Until they at least imply they can do it, the value is on GSW side and any bet on Dallas is unreasonable. No value in it, no signs of Dallas hurting GSW, and Dallas -9.5 can only be won with a fluke. Dallas backers should at least give a valid reason why Dallas should win. Not just relying on a hope that #1 team has to break this trend sooner or later. Give me a reason why and tell me how. Or at least assure me that Avery Johnson knows how. He didn't seem to know anything in game 1 as he left his team without timeouts when they needed them the most. First Dallas got hurt, and then it got hurt bad, and then it got knocked out. I expect a coach to lead his team from bad to good, not from bad to worse.

But more about that tomorrow...

If it's possible to agree on both opinions...then i do. BAR always has good points. but i have to agree more with Cafa here. i will not be playing a side for game 2 because it really can go either way...but people can't just continue to say "Dallas will turn it on in the playoffs...the Warriors do not have a chance...Dallas is proven and maybe the best team in the league...yadda yadda"...Dallas has not shown or proven anything against Golden State and maybe not even believe deep down that they can dominate this team. people are just looking at a 1 seed against an 8 seed. looking at all the past yrs of dominance by a 1 seed. they forget that this warrior team is not the team it was the first half of the yr...this team has new faces and new chemistry and leadership from Jackson and Harrington and Baron...oh and by the way, one of the hottest teams entering the playoffs. and didn't Don Nelson craft the Mavs team??? I think he knows "how" to play them and match up. if this team was together the entire yr and healthy, would they be an 8 seed??? hell muthaf*ckin no.

Do i think the Warriors will win this series? Nope. But it should be fun and should not be a "SHOCKER" if they do.

Golden State @ Dallas

Dallas -9.5 -110 6 units

your an idiot you probably watch two G St. games all year

True, "many times a road team gets game one and is happy with a split going home". But you don't tell us is that the case here. It's like saying "coffee makes your teeth brown" and then advertising a brand of tooth paste, not claiming nor denying that it actually removes coffee stains. In this situation, it's important to listen what the Warriors have to say between game 1 and game 2 to find out are they happy or do they think their journey has just begun.

It's not true that Warriors suck in defense. Defense is mostly about willpower, then tactics, and then individual player ability in defense. They won game 1 with defense. Or does anyone think Dallas just had a bad shooting night, scoring 85 points? Most of the credit for their 35.3% FG goes to Warriors' defense. BTW, Nellie's midgets scored 40 pts in the paint and their PG had 10 boards in one quarter. Dallas scored 38 in the paint.

I see no valid explanation for this pick, and kill me but I can't see the value in Dallas -9.5. Especially not with such a high stake. Let's stop calling GSW 7-1 over DAL a fluke. I'm waiting to see the Mavs show they can hurt GSW in any aspect of the game. Until they at least imply they can do it, the value is on GSW side and any bet on Dallas is unreasonable. No value in it, no signs of Dallas hurting GSW, and Dallas -9.5 can only be won with a fluke. Dallas backers should at least give a valid reason why Dallas should win. Not just relying on a hope that #1 team has to break this trend sooner or later. Give me a reason why and tell me how. Or at least assure me that Avery Johnson knows how. He didn't seem to know anything in game 1 as he left his team without timeouts when they needed them the most. First Dallas got hurt, and then it got hurt bad, and then it got knocked out. I expect a coach to lead his team from bad to good, not from bad to worse.

Yo!

Word. GS to win the series at +1150. It seems like you said people figure Dallas will have to wake up sooner or later, but what if they don't? I cannot wait to see Cuban's face on the sidelines after game 2. All this work to win the championship with 67 wins only to lose wo a "nobody" that you couldnt beat the last 2 years.

You guys have won one game and you act like you've already got the series and the NBA title wrapped up. As an fyi, without going into further details about strategy etc., Dallas has lost 6 of its last 8 Game 1's.

"Two years ago we probably were just happy to be in the playoffs," Anthony said. "Now we ain't just happy to be in the playoffs. We know we're a good team and when we play good we can play with the best of them."
And the Nuggets played tough defense, too, which is not usually their forte.

-------------------

"It was important to come out and play defense," Iverson said. "We understand that we can score points, we've been saying that all year long. We can score points, that's not our problem. We've got to be able to stop people. When we needed the stops, we got it."

Spurs at home off a home loss has spelt Unders for some seasons now.
With Denver not *just happy to be there*, theres no reason to suspect their attention to defense will wane in Game 2. In the past I might have thought a win in road Game 1 meant they played a game 2 not caring for the result = loose D, caring only on the offensive end. Both teams contributing to stopping (not just the Spurs) I think sets up a repeat total result.

Spurs arent conceding 100, and if Denver stays committed I see no reason why they will, which holding true leaves very little room to lose at 194.

nice post i agree

BAR probably hasnt watched 3 warriors games all year hes just goin by what the dumbass analyist on tv says G St. doesnt play defense ! false go head and lay -9.5 no value and you havent even seen the lines up avery has pick out yet so it doesnt make any sense to make the play without knowing

Cakeoff...find a large contigent of anyone who thinks GS plays good defense and I'll make you a mod..

BAR...how many Warrior games have you actually watch after they made the trade with Indiana?

thats what i thought

stop being jealous of me changing my sig and avatar take your angry out on those two buck sit and gos you play :smiley_acbe:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirk will come out angry tonight, he will show why he is the MVP. 30+ points from the German, the series will be 1-1. But -9,5 is too much for me.

You called it right on the other day Alimony. Sheed is our X-Factor..
That three he threw up was funny because it almost seems like his percentage is better when he is throwing up some shit. All those crazy three balls he practices are really paying off this season. I recall 3 shot clock buzzer beaters in that game for D~Town. Those kill teams that fall behind..
GL with your plays tonight.:drinking:

Back