Tough Places to Play/Time Slots

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
We are getting close and a lot of good work so far. Let’s have a little fun while we wait.
You can name a random team going to a random place where wild shit will just happen. And maybe a weird place in the schedule, out of conference or in.
I’ll go first.

Carrier Dome 11AM kick

This year will be the first, that I know of, night game in East Lansing (UM MSU series).

Both AA and EL police departments have fought against these for years. Last year, TV had their way.

You have the obvious factor of heated tensions after last year's attack after the game.

That should be interesting.

-----

We'll have a handful of B16 games in November this year at night due to TV. Generally, after the first week of the month those don't happen. Again, NBC I believe is the ones pushing this (something was messed up with negotiations by former commissioner Warren).

The weather could be interesting.

-----

No Hawaii early games this year.

-----

No Ole Piss and Tennessee this year?

We are getting close and a lot of good work so far. Let’s have a little fun while we wait.
You can name a random team going to a random place where wild shit will just happen. And maybe a weird place in the schedule, out of conference or in.
I’ll go first.

Carrier Dome 11AM kick
Laramie. It’s 7220 feet above sea level, and I have a particular game in mind. Ole Miss went up there in 2004, and lost 37-32. They then lost to the Cowboys at home the following year. But back to Laramie.

The “wild shit” that happened included Ole Miss blocking a punt and the punter recovering it and punting it again. Apparently, it’s legal, because the officials allowed it. I was never able to find anything in the rulebook that addressed the issue, however.

Have any of you seen that happen?

albany going to hawaii the week after @ marshall
new mex state traveling @ liberty and then @ hawaii...viscious
hawaii @wyoming in the bitch cold in november...brrrrr
NMSU is going to be one of my four favorite fades and this spot is perfect

A lot of crazy shit happens in Columbia South Carolina. Stephen Garcia vs Bama. They pull lots of upsets there and lots of weird games, like the game vs Vandy 2 years ago. Lots of stuff like that there.

The week after South Dakota State plays North Dakota State, they travel to YSU Nov 11th. YSU has not been so tough to play at in a long time, but they are on the up right now.

I think SD State has won 4 or 5 in a row now vs the Bison? Win or lose, their next games:

2022 at North Dakota Won 49-35 (-10)
2021 at South Dakota Lost 20-23 (-10.5)
2020 vs Holy Cross Won 31-3 (-24.5)
2019 at Missouri State Won 35-14 (-25)
2018 vs Indiana State Won 54-51 (-34.5)
2017 vs Illinois State Won 27-24 (NL, assumed no cover at home ILL St was just 6-5 that year)

That makes 5-1 SU, but just 2-4 ATS and those were all good SD State teams (8+ wins or DD wins each season)

more...how about ND @ duke the week after ohio state and @ louisville next...could be a sneaky tough spot
air force @ Colorado state - falcons sandwiched in between @ Navy, and home Army (neutral i think) then beyond that @ hawaii...@ rams could be a sneaky tough spot also

louisiana tech 3 games in 12 calendar days 9/29, 10/5 and 10/10...BRUTAL!! @ miners, home toppers, @ MTSU...they will have to be gassed....

The week after South Dakota State plays North Dakota State, they travel to YSU Nov 11th. YSU has not been so tough to play at in a long time, but they are on the up right now.

I think SD State has won 4 or 5 in a row now vs the Bison? Win or lose, their next games:

2022 at North Dakota Won 49-35 (-10)
2021 at South Dakota Lost 20-23 (-10.5)
2020 vs Holy Cross Won 31-3 (-24.5)
2019 at Missouri State Won 35-14 (-25)
2018 vs Indiana State Won 54-51 (-34.5)
2017 vs Illinois State Won 27-24 (NL, assumed no cover at home ILL St was just 6-5 that year)

That makes 5-1 SU, but just 2-4 ATS and those were all good SD State teams (8+ wins or DD wins each season)
yeah i looked into that as well... i would fade the jacks in some HUGE spread spots but certainly have to consider fading murray state when they play the yotes in the D-Dome...murray state in for a rude awakening in football this season.

illinois tough spot home for penn state, home for FAU and @ Purdue (quasi old rivalry)

might be a great spot to back the owls catching 20????

Fresno State kicks off at noon in Purdue, that is 9am for the California kids. There may be some tracking on these time differences, like when Cal played at UNC or San Diego State played at Army. Would be good to see if there is anything to these early kicks for west coast pacific time zone kids.

Or east to west on a late game? Seems like that does not matter historically for the kids. Coastal playing at UCLA 10:30 eastern time

A lot of crazy shit happens in Columbia South Carolina. Stephen Garcia vs Bama. They pull lots of upsets there and lots of weird games, like the game vs Vandy 2 years ago. Lots of stuff like that there.
Only been there once: the 1993 Clemson game. We had seats in the first row, and I spent most of the game yelling at Hatfield to put our QB in at linebacker. Obviously, it was not practical when he wouldn’t know the assignments. But he played 63 games in the NFL (15 as a starter), all at LB.

Seldom seems to come into play - but something to consider - especially when one team is making a long trip ...... is knowing when classes begin.

WHY? > because while all teams are limited to the (number) of practices they can have - the actual hours of work are more restricted when class starts.

* plus consider the added distraction as well - hard for many young kids to balance

A few years back I played LSU traveling to the west coast (Washington?) - Cajuns looked like shit / fatigued late, other team much sharper (as huge dog)..... announcers explained "this is to be expected, (with the long trip especially), as LSU has been in school for 2-3 weeks / Washington has not started yet!" > I've checked ever since.

Didn't check every game, but here's a few.

Fla 8/23
Utah 8/21

Fresno 8/17
Purdue 8/22

Deion's Traveling Circus 8/28
TCU 8/21

TT 8/24
Wyo 8/28

CCaro 8/23
UCLA 9/28
here if considering CC, especially with coaching change - I would back off for sure.

UTSA 9/4
Houston 8/21
* I like UTSA (the better coached / more mature team) a bit better now

Cal 8/23
NTX 8/21

note: to speed up the process, just save in search bar : __________ fall classes begin 2023
> then fill in - results should appear in the heading

Update from Iowa;
Cade McNamara still not cleared to practice. Coach Ferentz continues to play it down, says he will be back soon.
Iowa's #1 defensive left tackle, Noah Shannon has been suspended for the season by NCAA for sports betting. Iowa to appeal.
Also sophmore backup defensive lineman Jeff Bowie is out for some time with arm injury.

This year will be the first, that I know of, night game in East Lansing (UM MSU series).

Both AA and EL police departments have fought against these for years. Last year, TV had their way.

You have the obvious factor of heated tensions after last year's attack after the game.

That should be interesting.

-----

We'll have a handful of B16 games in November this year at night due to TV. Generally, after the first week of the month those don't happen. Again, NBC I believe is the ones pushing this (something was messed up with negotiations by former commissioner Warren).

The weather could be interesting.

-----

No Hawaii early games this year.

-----

No Ole Piss and Tennessee this year?

Starting next year the big whatever is gonna have games from noon till midnight!

Don’t show up with the numbers 1-10 next to your school name when you have to play in Corvallis at night.

The Beavs are certified giant killers.

I know it’s not football, but there’s a reason why the phrase “Hilton magic” is still used today in Ames, IA.

IDGAF what KU is ranked, that Iowa State game is always a barn burner.

IMG_2567.jpeg
Arrowhead gonna be the toughest place to play in the nation that day…

If you’re tailgating let me know, maybe I’ll stop by

Back