Time to start preparing

VK will you be running your website again? I'm a little out of the loop, I haven't been on the forum much since 2011 ish.

He is one of the biggest busts of that recruiting class. And to think, Oregon, Nebraska?, and a few other schools were devastated when he declared to fUCLA.

Calm down bruh.

Datone Jones was a bust too. Then one year with Mora and Alosi and he turned into a first round pick. Owa was fine this past year and will come back a monster in 2014

2013 College Football Preview will be available on June 18th!
These LUCKY 7 will be the ONLY ones carrying the 2013 College Football Preview:
Walmart • Walgreens • Target • CVS • Book-A-Million • Barnes and Noble • Publix

Or You Can Pre-Order Your Copy NOW!!!

100 days to go ...

100. The Granddaddy of them all, The 100th Rose Bowl will be played this season.

rose-bowl-stadium-531570.sflb.ashx

The ROSE BOWL was first played in 1902, and has been played annually since 1916. Since 1945, it has been the highest attended college football bowl game.

Since the 1998 season, with the creation of the Bowl Championship Series, team selection for the Rose Bowl was tied to the other three BCS bowls, although in any given year the Rose Bowl still attempts, if possible, to maintain the traditional Pac-10 (currently Pac-12 after the addition of Utah and Colorado in 2011) versus Big Ten format. Twice in this era, the Rose Bowl has served as the BCS championship game.

The 2002 game served as the BCS championship game between the BCS #1 ranked Miami, then a member of the Big East Conference, and the BCS #2 ranked Nebraska, then a member of the Big 12 Conference. The Nebraska selection as the BCS #2 team was controversial because Oregon was ranked #2 in both the AP and Coaches Polls, while Nebraska was ranked #4 in both polls and did not play in its conference championship game (#3 Colorado, who played Oregon in that year's Fiesta Bowl, did and won the Big 12's automatic bid to the BCS). This prevented a West Coast team playing in the Rose Bowl for the first time, and it also marked the first match up since 1946 to not feature the traditional pairing of Pac-10 vs. Big Ten teams.

The 2006 Rose Bowl game featured offensive powerhouses Texas, riding a 19-game winning streak, and USC, which entered the game with a 34-game winning streak and 2 Heisman Trophy winners. Texas won 41–38. The game's television viewership was the highest for college football contest since the 1987 Fiesta Bowl between Penn State and Miami.

On two other occasions during the BCS era, Rose Bowl participation has expanded beyond the Big Ten and Pac-10.

The 2003 Rose Bowl couldn't select Big Ten co-champion and automatic qualifier Ohio State, who finished #2 in the BCS and thus received a bid to the Fiesta Bowl to play for the national championship. The Rose Bowl was poised to select Big Ten co-champion Iowa as an at-large in order to preserve the traditional Big Ten/Pac-10 match up. However, the Orange Bowl, which selected ahead of the Rose Bowl that year, chose the Hawkeyes. As a result, the Rose Bowl featured the first appearance by Oklahoma, who faced Pac-10 Champion Washington State.

The 2005 game featured Texas of the Big 12 Conference, selected, amid some controversy, over California of the Pac-10, marking the second time a West Coast team did not make the Rose Bowl. The controversy was the result of the BCS computer rankings which elevated Texas over California. Texas went on to defeat Michigan in the 2005 game, featuring a virtuoso 4-touchdown performance by Vince Young, foreshadowing his 467-yard performance a year later in the 2006 defeat of USC that won the National Title for Texas.

images

The 2004 game is also noteworthy. In this game, USC defeated Michigan, 28–14, thus earning the top ranking in the AP Poll and a share of the national championship with BCS champion LSU (USC, despite being #1 in the AP poll, did not qualify for the BCS championship game because of their standing in the BCS system).

The current Rose Bowl arrangement, which will run until the 2014 Rose Bowl Game, is as follows. The Big Ten and Pac-12 (the new name of the Pac-10) retain their bids. A provision has been inserted mandating that the first time that either conference cannot fill their bid, due to a school from the Big Ten or Pac-12 qualifying for the BCS National Championship Game, and if a non-BCS conference school qualifies, the Rose Bowl is required to take that school.

Texas Christian University (TCU) became the first team from a non-automatic qualifying conference to play in the Rose Bowl in the BCS era. The 2010 TCU Horned Frogs finished their second consecutive regular season at 12-0, were back-to-back champions of the Mountain West Conference, and ranked #3 in the final BCS Poll. TCU defeated #5 Wisconsin 21-19 in the 2011 Rose Bowl. TCU's appearance satisfied the 'first time' clause of the current agreement.

The series ends with the January 6, 2014 BCS National Championship Game.

Beginning with the 2014 college football season, the Rose Bowl game will be a semifinal game of the College Football Playoff every three years, replacing the BCS.

The most frequent Rose Bowl matchup is USC-Michigan, occurring for the eighth time in 2007, with USC holding a 6–2 advantage. (Including rare meetings outside the Rose Bowl, USC leads this series 6–4.) The next most frequent matchup is USC-Ohio State, occurring for the seventh time in 1985, with USC holding a 4–3 advantage.

oj021.jpg

No. 1 vs. No. 2 teams

1962 Season/1963 Game: No. 1 USC defeated No. 2 Wisconsin, 42–37

1968 Season/1969 Game: No. 1 Ohio State defeated No. 2 USC, 27–16. Ohio State was voted national champion

2005 Season/2006 BCS National Championship Game: No. 2 Texas defeated No. 1 USC, 41–38. Texas was voted national champion (USC’s participation later vacated)

images

The Rose Bowl of 1997 -- Ohio State v. Arizona State

In 1997, the fourth-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes went into the Rose Bowl against Arizona State looking to snap a four-game losing streak in "The Granddaddy of Them All." Ironically, OSU head coach John Cooper led Arizona State to a win over Michigan in the 1987 Rose Bowl. Cooper took over at Ohio State the next year and had not appeared in a Rose Bowl since.

"The talent level on the field that night was unreal," claims then junior Buckeye linebacker Jerry Rudzinski. "In my mind, it was the best pool of players I've seen in this decade in college football. Guys like Jake Plummer, Shawn Springs, Orlando Pace, the names go on and on!"

The Buckeyes were not the only team who was confident going into the big game.

"Both teams were there to win," Rudzinski adds. "Neither team was gun-shy. We knew it would be a battle."

The teams were deadlocked 7-7 at halftime after a 25-yard pass from Jake Plummer to Ricky Boyer early in the second quarter. The Sun Devils jumped out to a 10-7 lead on the first possession of the second half on a 37-yard field goal by Robert Nycz.

Then, reserve quarterback Joe Germaine was called off the bench to provide a boost to the stagnant Buckeyes offense. Germaine, born and raised in Arizona, grew up as a Sun Devils' fan but turned down a scholarship offer because the ASU coaching staff wanted him to play defensive back.

Cooper's insertion of Germaine proved to be a shrewd move, because the sophomore quickly hooked up with senior flanker Demetrious Stanley for one of the biggest plays of the game.

"It was a simple post route," says Stanley. "Germaine threw it right on the money. I caught it, saw the defender fall out of the corner of my eye, and all I saw was green grass ahead of me."

Rudzinski adds, "That was a huge momentum builder. When Demetrious scored, we started to feel like we were the superior team and we were going to win this game."

The 72-yard score set a record for the longest Ohio State TD pass in a bowl game.

But the Sun Devils were by no means ready to give up. With the Buckeyes up 14-10, the stage was set for a dramatic finish and no Hollywood scriptwriter could have penned a more exciting ending.

Jake Plummer had already established himself in his career as a clutch performer with a knack for pulling out unlikely victories.

"We knew (Plummer) was a winner," claims Rudzinski. "He had come from behind so many times that season already, we didn't want to be just another victim."

Things did not look good for the Buckeyes when on a third-and-11, Jake "the Snake" somehow slithered his way into the end zone to give ASU a 17-14 lead with 1:40 to play.

"I just remember Plummer going to the sidelines and taking off his helmet, looking like he had just won another one for Arizona State," adds Rudzinski.

With 1:19 remaining, starting from their own 35-yard line, Ohio State needed a touchdown. The Buckeyes remained calm, however, for they had confidence in their offense led by the young, brash Germaine.

"Every day during the course of the season, we practiced our two-minute drill against one of the top defenses in the country, with two of the top defensive backs (Springs and Damon Moore) in the country" says Stanley. "At that time, I didn't think anybody on that team could stop me, so I was confident that we were going to win the game."

Germaine responded well to the pressure by connecting with Stanley on three third down plays on the drive, before finally hitting David Boston from five yards out with 20 seconds left with the game winner. The Buckeyes were Rose Bowl champions, and Germaine would be named the game's Most Outstanding Player. The win propelled the fourth-ranked Buckeyes to an 11-1 record and the No. 2 spot in the final polls.

"Both teams played great," says Rudzinski. "It's unfortunate one team had to lose, but it was a really important victory for Ohio State. We hadn't won a bowl game in a long time."

With an 8pm kick versus Georgia on 8-31, prior to entering the stadium:
(A) how many adult beverages consumed by The Schrute Group?,
(B) how many diaper changes successfully completed by The Schrute Group (babies and adults combined, please),
and
(C) how many scoops of the '55 Exchange ice cream consumed by The Schrute Group?

A) well over 20 by me but our tailgating group runs 30-40 deep so who knows

B) 0 by me. The women are much more interested in the babies and dogs that we bring to the tailgate. The men are more interested in watching the other games, boozing and the occasional game of cornhole

C) 0. If its not deep fried, meat or cheese I don't eat it at the tailgate

99 days to go ...

In 1999, Michael Vick bursts onto the scene: Freshman Michael Vick led Virginia Tech to the national title game against Florida State in 1999. The Hokies lost the game, but Vick set the college football world on end. He would end the season with the highest passing efficiency rating by a freshman, a record that still stands.

michael_vick_vt.jpg

In his first collegiate game as a redshirt freshman against James Madison in 1999, Vick scored three rushing touchdowns in just over one quarter of play. He made a spectacular flip to score his last touchdown but landed awkwardly on his ankle, forcing him to miss the remainder of the game and all of the following game.

During the season, Vick led a last-minute game-winning drive against West Virginia in the annual Black Diamond Trophy game. He led the Hokies to an undefeated season (11–0 win-loss record) and to the Bowl Championship Series national title game in the Nokia Sugar Bowl against Florida State. Although Virginia Tech lost 46–29, Vick brought the team back from a 21 point deficit to take a brief lead. During the season, Vick appeared on the cover of an ESPN The Magazine issue.

Vick led the NCAA in passing efficiency in 1999, a record for a freshman (180.4) and the third-highest all-time mark. Vick won both an ESPY Award as the nation's top college player and the first-ever Archie Griffin Award as college football's most valuable player. He was invited to the 1999 Heisman Trophy presentation and finished third in the voting behind Ron Dayne and Joe Hamilton. Vick's third place finish matched the highest finish ever by a freshman up to that point, first set by Herschel Walker in 1980.

p1_vick-getty.jpg

[video=youtube_share;2IKU3HZxpmo]http://youtu.be/2IKU3HZxpmo[/video]

That's like the third picture you've put up of a Clemson player getting beat

Trying to send me a message Smailsy?

40- unc

In '07 Butch Davis took over a team that had not finished above .500in5yrs.The'06squadhadfinished3-9andhehadjust 9st'rsback(fewestACC).DavisdidatremendousjobasNC had6closelossesandcouldhaveeasilyfinishedbetterthan their 4-8 record. In '08 they were my #2 MIT (18 ret sts) and if not for a couple of key inj's could easily have been playing in the ACC Title game. In '09 all 5 road games were vs '08 bowl tms and after they lost to Pitt in the bowl NC finished 8-5 for a 2nd str ssn.In '10, 7 of my 9 sets of PR's called for NC to haveaDDwinseasonastheirDwasloadedwithNFLtalent. Unfortunately, after my magazine hit the newsstands, NC's D was wiped out by NCAA susp's. In the opener, they were w/o 13 players (8 proj st'rs). They went 8-5 again despite an amazing 89 sts lost to inj or susp, by far the most in the NCAA. NC did benefit from 3 net close wins. In '11 NC shockingly lost their HC a week before Aug camp. NC opened 5-1 but finished the year 7-6 behind interim HC Everett Withers. LY I thought Fedorasteppedintoagreatsituation.TheyshutoutElon62-0. Unfortunately RB Bernard missed the next 2 and they suffered a tough 1 pt loss vs WF where they settled for 25 and 30 yd fg's in the 2H before allowing a td with 2:09 left. They were down 36-7 at half vs UL but at the end were throwing in the EZ and PI was not called despite NC's rec having his helmet ripped offandtheylost39-34.TheydispatchedECandID,thenina showdown gm beat VT 48-34 (led 45-26 after 3Q). NC went into Miami and had a 486-415 yd edge and won 18-14. They trailed Duke 23-9 but got a td with 3:12 left to take the lead. Duke converted three 3rd downs on their final drive then on 4th down with :19 left got a td to get their first win over NC s/'03. ThenextwkitwasNC'sturnforlategamedramatics.NCled 25-7 in the 1Q but needed a Bernard 74 yd PR td w/:13 left to endtheir5yearlosingstreaktorivalNCSt,43-35(2ptconv). NC was off a bye with extra time to prepare for the option so it stunned me that they allowed 588 yds to GT in a 68-50 loss. NCbeatVAby24andMDby7butsincetheywereinelgfora bowl they finished 8-4. Had all teams been elig for the Coastal DivTitle,NCwouldhavewonthetie-breakeroverMiami.TY NC has 13 ret sts, is in the 2nd yr under Fedora and was -3 net upsets LY. With QB Renner and an improved defense, NC also draws a manageable schedule. My main 2 sets of power ratings call for a 9 and 10 win season, which means NC has a shot at topping LY's 8 win total.
PHIL’S FORECAST

39- kstate

From '97-'03 Bill Snyder had 11 wins in 6 out of 7 ssns but in his final 2 yrs ('04-'05) KSt slumped to 4-7 and 5-6 and he "retired" to spend time with his family. Ron Prince was hired as HC in '06 andchangewasthebuzzword.MostofSnyder'sasst'seitherleft or were booted out and many of the old players were shown the door.They even shifted from the read option to a more pass-based attack. Prince managed a 7-6 record in his first year but after opening 5-3 and 4-2 the next 2Y, the bottom fell out (finished 5-7 both yrs). In '08, KSt allowed 479 ypg (35.8 ppg). That '08 squad was a Big 12 worst -151 ypg. In '09 Snyder ret'd and KSt mademyMostImprovedList(onlymagthathadthemahead of rival KU). KSt did not disappoint me, but lost the ssn finale at NebwiththeB12NorthTitleontheline(6-6,nobowl).Ithought Snyder did a great job in '10 as KSt got to the Pinstripe Bowl at 7-5 (-98 ypg, #11 B12). In '11 I picked them higher than any other major publication. If you follow philsteele.com you know thatIhaveanupsetpickeachwkinmyTop25forecastsand KSt was my upset pick on a regular basis that year as they went 10-3despitebeinganunderdogEIGHTtimes!LYSnyderhad14 ret sts incl QB Klein but I honestly didn't think they'd match the previous year's 10 win total. Never underestimate Bill Snyder. KStrolledto3earlywinsincl52-13overMiami.Oklafmbl'd at their own 1 giving KSt a td then fmbl'd at the KSt1 costing themselves a td and KSt pulled the upset on the road (outFD'd 24-19). KSt whacked rival Kansas (as usual) then survived at Iowa St (trailed 14-10 2Q). They dealt WV their largest home losss/'86.Theywereoutgained238-143athalfbutledTT13-10 then turned it into a rout, 55-24 at home. QB Klein was inj'd in the 3Q with KSt up 38-17 but they still beat OSt by 14. Klein was ? for TCU but st'd and they survived 23-10 (outgained 274-260). They were #1 in the BCS when they travelled to Baylor and the question was, who, of KSt, Oreg or ND, would get in the title game? With that distraction, being on the cover of SI and their top S Zimmerman out, they played their worst game of the ssn losing52-24.Asusual,theywereoutgainedbyTexas(413-362) but won by 18 at home (trailed at half). In the bowl vs Oregon, KSt had a 178-148 yd edge at half but lost by 18 to finish 11-2 (#12).TYKSthasjust10retstsandlosesHeismancontender Klein. They were +19 in TO's, rate a -2.5 in my Stock Market, had positive off (10.3) and def (16.9) ypp's and despite finishing 8-1 were only +12.2 ypg (#7) in the B12. In '11 when they were 7-2 they were actually -107 ypg! All of those factors point down andwhileyoucanneverunderestimateBillSnyder,Ican’tsee them matching last year's 11 win total.

38- Marshall

Marshall stepped right in from IAA in '97 and dominated the MACwinningtheconftitle5oftheirfirst6yrs.MUjoinedCUSA in '05 and long time HC Bob Pruett surprisingly retired after the spring. Mark Snyder stepped into a tough situation with only 5 ret sts. Snyder had 4 losing seasons to open although his CUSA overall record was a respectable 17-23. In '09 MU made my Most Improved List which meant I thought they would make it to a bowl. They did not disappoint, landing a Little Caesars Pizza Bowl berth but Snyder was fired and with DC Rick Minter as interim HC, they beat Ohio for their first winning season in 6 yrs. They managed to lure Doc Holliday from WV and had 13 ret sts in '10, but suffered key injuries and fell to 5-7. MU pulled 3 upsets in '11 and in the reg season finale, got past a banged up EC squad, 34-27 in OT to get to a bowl. They beat FIU to finish 7-6. Despite their 5-3 CUSA record in '11, they were -67 ypg (5th worst) and benefittedfrom5netclosewins.TheydidhaveaveteranQB in Cato back LY but the indicators were pointing down and MUslippedto5-7(4-4CUSA).Afteranexpected1-1start, the Herd had a 491-399 yd edge vs Ohio but blew a 24-17 4Q lead and lost.They had never won on a trip to the state of Texas but in 2OT got the victory over Rice, 54-51.They trailed Purdue42-14atthehalfbutmadeitrespectableat51-41. Twice in the 4Q vs Tulsa, MU was SOD and they came up 7 pts short (MU 572-340). The Herd slammed SM 59-24 with a 629-329 yd edge and led Memphis 31-7 in their 38-28 win. MU got a td with 1:41 left to pull within 7 of UAB (UAB rec'd onside) but lost. MU led UH 31-10 but needed to hold on to win. For the 2nd straight year they went into the finale vs EC needing a win to be bowl eligible but this time lost in 2OT whenCatowasinj'dinthe3Q.MUhas15retsts,themost they've had under Holliday, had 2 net close losses and a def ypp of 10.6 (pg 28). Despite a 4-4 conf record they surpris- ingly were +72.4 ypg in CUSA play (1 less win then '11 but +139 ypg). With QB Cato back and their freshmen RB's now soph's and my #1 rated set of rec's and OL, the Herd have my most explosive offense in CUSA. Defensively, they get a lot of quality transfers and I will call for their defense to pos- sibly be as much as 2 td's better than the 43.1 ppg allowed last year. MU does draw Tulsa from the West but the game vsECcouldbemoreimportantthanjustbowleligibility(like the L2Y), as they could have a spot in the CUSA Title game on the line. Add it all up and MU gets the elite designation of my #1 Most Improved Team in the country.

37- byu

When Gary Crowton took over in '01, it was a dream year as BYU piled up 44 ppg, 524 ypg and at 12-0 was lobbying for a BCS bowl berth. After losing their bowl, BYU finished 12-2 (#25). The Cougars then had 3 consec losing yrs! Bronco Mendenhall took over in '05 and they went 6-6. BYU has now had 5 DD win seasons the L7Y finishing #16 AP in '06, #14 in '07, #25 in '08 and #12 in '09. They were 29-3 in the MW incl 8-0 in both '06 and '07. BYU slipped to 7-6 in '10 but won their last 3 in '11 by an avg of 42-11 and beat Tulsa in the bowl finishing #26. LY BYU had 29 Srs and 13 ret st'rs but had benefitted from 3 net close wins in '11. Their new independent schedule was chal- lenging as the drew Utah, Boise, ND and GT all on the road but expectations were high in the preseason and even higher after they destroyed WSt in the opener. At 2-0 BYU was #25 when they travelled to Utah and while they had a 312-245 yd edge, TO's did them in. With :01 left BYU's 51 yd'r was blk'd and Utes fans prematurely rushed the field drawing a 15 yd pen. BYU's 36 yd'r then bounced off the upright. They did not allow an off td at Boise but after a potential tying td, opted to go for 2 w/3:37 leftandfailedandlost7-6.TheyblewoutHawaiionESPNthen got past Utah St 6-3, this time with the Aggies missing a 38 yd fgw/7:47left.OregStcameinwithabkpQBbutwon42-24. BYU faced their 2nd Top 10 team in ND and led 14-7 at half but lost by 3. They rebounded to pummel GT on the road (411-157 yd) and whipped an Idaho team led by an interim HC. BYU had beenallowing172ypgpassbutSJSttoppedthatonthefirst 3 drives. Down 20-7 BYU turned it over 3 times and was SOD andendeduplosingby6.Larkgothisfirststartandthrewfor 384 as they beat NMSt and then beat old rival SDSt in the bowl, 23-6. By looking at the Game-by-Game stats to the right you'll see that the Cougars D held 6 opponents to season lows and 2 teams to #2 lows which is impressive as LY's #1 D Bama had 8 #1's and one #2.TY BYU has 12 ret st'rs incl LB Kyle Van Noy (turned down the NFL). BYU had 3 net close losses and was -2 in net upsets (pg 29). The schedule is not easy as they face 10 potential bowl teams. BYU's new OC Anae has the offense in a hurry up mode and in the spring game got snaps off between 16-18 seconds (goal 8 seconds). Seven of my 9 sets of power ratings calls for BYU to top last years 8 win total.

98 days to go ...

The BCS is born: 1998 was the first season for the BCS, which will conclude in 2013. Tennessee won the first BCS national title in 1998.

Fiesta99b.jpg

1998-99 Bowl Championship Series Games

Teams qualifying automatically by winning conference championships:
ACC -- Florida State
Big East -- Syracuse
Big Ten -- Wisconsin
Big 12 -- Texas A&M
Pac-10 -- UCLA
Southeastern -- Tennessee

Other teams qualifying automatically:
None

Other teams eligible for at-large selection:
3. Kansas State
4. Ohio State
7. Arizona
8. Florida
10. Tulane
11. Nebraska
12. Virginia

Step-by-step process:
1. The Fiesta Bowl was the championship game -- No. 1 Tennessee and No. 2 Florida State.
2. The Sugar Bowl chose Ohio State to replace Tennessee.
3. The Orange Bowl chose Florida to replace Florida State.
4. The Sugar Bowl chose Texas A&M.
5. The Orange Bowl chose Syracuse.

Pairings:
Fiesta Bowl (championship game) -- Tennessee vs. Florida State
Sugar Bowl -- Ohio State vs. Texas A&M
Orange Bowl -- Florida vs. Syracuse
Rose Bowl --UCLA vs. Wisconsin

(Note: Before selection Sunday, the Orange Bowl had the option to choose either the ACC or Big East champion to be its host team; it selected the ACC.)

GAME RESULTS

ROSE: With his four touchdowns, Ron Dayne tied three modern Rose Bowl touchdown records: most touchdowns, most rushing touchdowns and most career rushing touchdowns. With 24 points, he also tied most points in game and career as the Badgers defeated UCLA, 38-31.

5189ab16e738a.preview-300.jpg

ORANGE
: Florida came out of the gates swinging, with quarterback Doug Johnson throwing two touchdown passes to wide receiver Travis Taylor creating a 14-0 Florida lead. Syracuse got on the scoreboard in the second quarter following a field goal to close the gap to 14-3. Florida added two more touchdowns before the half to widen the gap to 28-3. The Gators wound up 31-10 winners over the Orange.

0de3b8532d6ec5f60fd6cca5292d847878419c99.jpg

SUGAR
: The last thing John Cooper and the Buckeyes needed was a sloppy performance by an offense that amassed 432 yards, moved in Texas A&M territory nine times but failed to score a touchdown in the final three quarters. "I was a little disappointed at halftime that we didn't score a couple of more touchdowns," Cooper said. Joe Germaine threw for a touchdown, Joe Montgomery rushed for one and the special teams came up with a blocked punt return for a score -- all in the first quarter. But that was all the touchdowns Ohio State could muster in a 24-14 win over the Aggies.

72480856_display_image.jpg

FIESTA
: The raging party on the floor of Sun Devil Stadium tried to swallow Al Wilson whole, but he'd have nothing of it. He wanted only solitude. So, as his Tennessee teammates smoked fat cigars and let the repeated strains of Rocky Top wash over them after the 23-16 Fiesta Bowl defeat of Florida State that gave the Volunteers a 13-0 season and their first national championship in 47 years, Wilson, the senior All-America linebacker and locker room preacher who was the soul of the Vols, ran into a tunnel and then walked briskly toward the Tennessee locker room. "I just knew, I just believed," said Wilson. "So many times we needed to make something special happen, and we always did. Always." He bowed his head and tears fell at his feet.

a_Thecatchborder.jpg

36 -Baylor

Prior to Briles arrival BU was outscored by an avg of 41.5-14.7 from '99-'07 in B12 play. However, in '08 with exciting frosh RG3 atQB,theywerearespectable4-8inhisfirstyear(onlylost by 7.2 ppg B12). RG3 was inj'd in '09 and BU was 4-8 again (-18ppgB12).With RG3's returnin'10,Baylor actually made my Most Improved List which meant that I was calling for them to get to their first bowl since 1994! They were picked to finish last (media) but had their highest finish ever in the B12 South (4th, +39.3 ypg)! BU did only beat 1 FBS team which finished with a winning record (K-St 7-6). They set or tied 55 of the schl's off rec's with 471 pass and 468 rush att's (balance) and went to the Texas Bowl.

Coming into '11 Baylor was the worst team in Big 12 history with an 18-102 league record. In '11 they had to replace a pair of #1 DC's for the first time s/'57. RG3 took them to new heightsas they finished 10-3(6-3in B12, BU's most wins in B12 ever) and #13. They beat #14 TCU and #5 Okla. LY they had to replace 5 NFL DC's incl RG3, had benefitted from 4 net close wins, and were -4.5 in my Stock Market Indicator. I thought Briles did a great job again. They were picked 7th (B12 media) and had 2 blowout wins to open (led SMU 45-3).They barely survived a Fri night at ULM (record crowd). They stood toe to toe with WV on the road (807-700 yd deficit)andlostby7.Baylor had 6TO's and lost to TCU at home by28.TheyledTexas28-21mid-2Qbuttrailed42-28before getting a td w/1:57 left to lose by 6. BU was SOD in the 2nd and 3Q in IStterr and came up short in the 14pt loss(only21 pts despite 541 yds) and dropped to 3-4. At that point they had to face 3 ranked teams in their final 5 and were below .500 for the first time s/'09. They destroyed Kansas 41-14 and trailed Okla 42-26 getting a td w/1:26 left to lose by 8. QB Collin Klein was not 100% for KSt and BU dominated them 52-24 tying for the highest AP team they had ever beat (#2, Tenn Sugar Bowl '56). BU was the first schl with a losing record to knock out a #1 BCS team. In a letdown spot, they still beat TT in OT (TT 2 TO's inside BU's 10) with a 55 yd IR td early in the 4Q giving BUtheirfirstlead.TheyupsetOklaSt,41-34,thenhadtheir 2nd best performance dominating #17 UCLA in the bowl (led 35-10 half 372-138 yd). BU was #25 (Wk 4) and for the 1st time they were ranked in 3strssns in 36years('74-'76).Amazingly the biggest ? of the season was Nick Florence but he topped RG3's schl record for passing yds in a season.Florence departs and they have 12 ret sts but BU was +61.1 ypg in the B12 (2nd best) despite being 4-5. BU should open up 6-1 or 7-0 but the toughest games are in November.

35-tulsa

Tulsa is the smallest FBS school as you can see by our new enroll- ment figures on the top of the right hand pg. Steve Kragthorpe guided them to 8, 4, 9 and 8 wins in his 4 seasons here then Todd Graham, after a 1 yr stint at Rice, took over and went 10-4 and11-3in his first 2 seasons.He went 5-7 in'09 but made my #1 Most Improved Team heading into '10. TU did not disappoint doubling the win total from 5to10 and Graham moved onto Pitt. Bill Blankenship inherited 16 ret st'rs but in 3 of his first 4 games, had to face #1 Okl, #8 Okl St and #4 Boise.He did a fine job guiding the tm to an 8-1 record vs team's not in the Top 10 (also lost to #8 Houston) with that one loss being to BYU in the bowl. LY they had just 13 st'rs back and Tulsa opened with a loss at Iowa St 38-23. They beat Tulane and Nich St (comb 111-26) and then despite giving up a pair of IR td's to Fresno, still prevailed 27-26. While they led UAB 42-28 on the road, they needed a td with 5:16 left for the 7 pt win. They were outgained by Marshall 572-340 with MU twice SOD in the 4Q. After routing UTEP 33-11, Blankenship took a gamble opting to sit out QB Green and RB/KR Watts who were both banged up but could have played vs Rice. Rice missed a 36 yd fg and TU took over at their own 20 with 2:55 left and drove for a td with 1:31 left to pull out a 28-24win. They had a 213-157 yd HT edge at Ark but came up 4 pts short. Houston had beaten TU48-16 in the '11 reg ssn finale which knocked TU out of the CUSA Title game. They got their revenge big time winning 41-7. In what would be a preview of the CUSA Title game, they got past UCF 23-21 at home despite a 461-235 yd edge. After clinching the CUSA West Title they lost to SMU 35-27 (trailed 35-6 in the 3Q).They had a Hail Mary pass to the 1 yd line at the end.In the CUSA Champ gm, they got a 54 yd PR td and blk'd a fg to beat UCF in OT, 33-27. In the bowl, they led 21-17 at the half and went on to a 31-17 win in a rematch with IowaSt.TY TU has just 10 ret st'rs(13LY)and actually draws the top 2 out of the East in Marshall and EC. They also benefitted from 5 net close wins LY and an off ypp of 13.2 (pg 28). Despite all those factors pointing down, Tulsa still ranks in the top 4 in my CUSA rankings in 7 of the 9 categories and has a great shot at getting back to the CUSA Title game.

97 days to go ...

Winning on defense: 1997 was the only season that a defensive player won the Heisman trophy (Charles Woodson).

images

Charles Woodson's legendary 1997 season is already regarded as one of the finest individual campaigns in Michigan football history. But, according to ESPN.com, it's also one of the best in Big Ten football history.

ESPN.com Big Ten writer Brian Bennett rated Woodson's 1997 season as one of the five best individual performances by a Big Ten player over the past 50 years.

"He had eight interceptions even though teams steadfastly avoided throwing the ball to his side of the field," Bennett wrote. "He also compiled 500 yards and three touchdowns as a receiver and punt returner, including his memorable score against Ohio State.

"Woodson had to be special to beat out Peyton Manning for the Heisman that year, and he sure was."

images

Woodson's dominance as a defender, versatility as a wide receiver and electrifying punt return touchdown in the regular-season finale against Ohio State helped Michigan to an unbeaten 1997 campaign, and eventual national championship share after a Rose Bowl win over Washington State.

His eight interceptions in 1997 tied for the third-best individual performance in Michigan history. He finished his three-year career with 18 picks, second only to Tom Curtis' (1967-69) 25 interceptions.

The other four individual performances on Bennett's list were former Illinois linebacker Dick Butkus' 145-tackle 1963 campaign, ex-Ohio State running back Archie Griffin's 1,620-yard year in 1974, former Nebraska running back Mike Rozier's 2,148-yard rushing year in 1983 and Wisconsin running back Montee Ball's 39-touchdown performance in 2011.

[video=youtube_share;bRKr1aDPaHc]http://youtu.be/bRKr1aDPaHc[/video]

The punt return is at 2:37

96 days to go ...

(No more ties): In 1996, the NCAA changed the rules to allow for overtime to decide games that were tied after regulation. There were 26 OT games that season.

arkansaskentucky_display_image.jpg

The 2003 Arkansas vs. Kentucky football game was a game played on November 1, 2003 and it tied a NCAA record for the longest football game ever played. The game included seven overtime periods. Arkansas led the game all but a few minutes of regulation until a Kentucky touchdown drive in the last few minutes. Both teams had a blocked punt recovered for a touchdown, another rarity.The game ended in the seventh overtime period when Kentucky quarterback Jared Lorenzen fumbled the football on a quarterback keeper play, ending the game.

<dd>In overtime, Jared Hicks moved the Hogs to the one with an 11-yard catch from Jones. From there, Mark Pierce carried into the end zone to give Arkansas a 31-24 lead.

</dd><dd>A holding call against Arkansas moved Kentucky to the 15-yard line on their ensuing overtime possession.

</dd><dd>Bwenge then carried to the eight-yard line. A pass interference call against the Hogs moved UK to the two-yard line with a fresh set of downs.

</dd><dd>Bwenge carried it into the end zone from there to even the score and send the game into a second overtime.

</dd><dd>In the second OT, Bwenge again found the end zone to give the 'Cats a 38-31 lead.

</dd><dd>On the Hogs' possession, Jones ran for four yards on the first play following the UK score. Birmingham then carried for another three yards to bring up third-and-three at the 18.

</dd><dd>Jones ran around left end for the first down and put the Hogs at the nine-yard line.

</dd><dd>Birmingham then carried to the two-yard line after a seven-yard gain. On second down, Birmingham was brought down for no gain to bring up third-and-goal.

</dd><dd>A false start penalty against the Hogs pushed the Razorbacks back to the seven. Being chased backwards, Jones hit Jason Peters in the end zone for the touchdown to send the game to a third overtime.

</dd><dd>In the third OT, a Jones completion to Smith and run by Birmingham moved the Hogs to the eight-yard line.

</dd><dd>Birmingham was stuffed for a one-yard loss to bring up third down. Jones' pass was incomplete and forced the Razorbacks to attempt a field goal.
</dd><dd>Balseiro's 25-yard attempt was good and gave the Hogs a 41-38 lead.

</dd><dd>On UK's possession, a pair of runs netted nine yards and brought up a third-and-one from the 16. Bwenge carried for 11 yards to the five where UK had a first-and-goal.

</dd><dd>Another run by Bwenge moved the ball to the two-yard line. The Razorbacks stuffed Bwenge on the second-down carry for a loss of one to bring up third-and-goal from the three.

</dd><dd>Rock Johnson carried to the one to bring up fourth down. A penalty against UK pushed the ball to the six-yard line.

</dd><dd>From there, Begley's kick was good to send the game into a fourth overtime period.

</dd><dd>In the fourth overtime, a pair of completions by Lorenzen put UK on the one-yard line. Lorenzen carried to just inside the one on first down. On second down, Lorenzen carried into the end zone to give the 'Cats a 47-41 lead. The two-point attempt was good to give Kentucky a 49-41 lead.

</dd><dd>On Arkansas' possession, Jones ran in from three yards and then hit Pierce for the two-point conversion to even the game at 49-49.

</dd><dd>In the fifth overtime, Jones hit Wilson for a 15-yard touchdown. The two-point attempt was no good and made it a 55-49 game.

</dd><dd>On Kentucky's possession, the Wildcats moved to the two-yard line. On second down Lorenzen carried into the end zone to even the game at 55-55 before UK's two-point attempt. The attempt was no good and sent the game into a sixth overtime.

</dd><dd>In the sixth overtime, the Wildcats moved to the 11-yard line where they faced first-and-10.

</dd><dd>A pair of runs by Bwenge put the ball on the one-yard line with a fresh set of downs. From the one, Lorenzen recorded his third touchdown of the game.
The two-point try was good to give Kentucky a 63-55 lead before Arkansas' possession.

</dd><dd>Jones completed to Wilson and then carried around left end to put the ball on the two.

</dd><dd>Pierce carried in from the two to bring up the two-point attempt. Jones hit Wilson for the two-point conversion to even the score at 63-63 and send it into a seventh overtime.

</dd><dd>Arkansas had the ball first in the seventh overtime and found the end zone on Birmingham's 25-yard run. Jones found Peters for the two-point conversion to make it a 71-63 game.

</dd><dd>The Wildcats moved to the nine on their possession and faced third-and-seven. Lorenzen carried to the five-yard line where the 'Cats faced fourth down.
</dd><dd>On fourth down, Lorenzen fumbled trying to reach the first down yardage and the loose ball was recovered by Arkansas to end the game.

</dd>
[TABLE="class: infobox, width: 300"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]Longest Game in NCAA Division I-A History[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][TABLE="class: nowraplinks, width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 50%, align: center"]Arkansas Razorbacks[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%, align: center"]Kentucky Wildcats[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"](4-3)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"](4-4)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]71[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]63[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Head coach:
Houston Nutt[/TD]
Rich Brooks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TABLE="align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH][/TH]
[TH]1[/TH]
[TH]2[/TH]
[TH]3[/TH]
[TH]4[/TH]
[TH]OT[/TH]
[TH]2OT[/TH]
[TH]3OT[/TH]
[TH]4OT[/TH]
[TH]5OT[/TH]
[TH]6OT[/TH]
[TH]7OT[/TH]
[TH]Total[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Arkansas[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]7[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]14[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]0[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]8[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]6[/TD]
[TD]71[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Kentucky[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]10[/TD]
[TD]63[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Date[/TD]
[TD]November 1, 2003[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stadium[/TD]
[TD]Commonwealth Stadium[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Location[/TD]
[TD]Lexington, KY[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, colspan: 2, align: center"]United States TV coverage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Network[/TD]
[TD]ESPN2
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[video=youtube_share;s_qMrlssRhQ]http://youtu.be/s_qMrlssRhQ[/video]

34- penn st

Joe Paterno dedicated his life to Happy Valley finishing with the most career wins (409), most bowl wins (24) and 2 National Titles. I thought Bill O'Brien did a phenomenal job with PSt last year.Not only was it an inexp'd team to begin with,but after the crushing NCAA sanctions over the summer, PSt was left with just 6 ret sts and had very little depth as many players took the NCAA up on their immediate transfer rule.QB Matt McGloin, who threw for 1,571 (54%, 8-5) in '11 was transformed, throwing for 3,271 (60.5%, 24-5). PSt lost at home to Ohio blowing a 14-3 HT lead in a 10 pt loss. Four missed fg's (and xp) incl a 42 yd fg att as time expired sealed another tough loss,this time to Virginia. Most in the national media (incl myself) thought after blowing those 2, PSt would struggle for victories.Then the transforma- tion began.They actually blew out Navy,Temple and Illinois all by double digits. In their 1st B10 home game, they trailed #24 NW 28-17 in the 4Q but pulled out a 39-28 win. They went into Iowa and had a 304-99 yd edge at the half and led 24-0. They were tied 7-7 at HT vs #9 Ohio St but ended up losing by 12 at home. They still rebounded to blow out Purdue 34-9. The next wk at #18 Neb the Huskers got their 4th DD 2H comeback of the year as PSt fmbl'd into the EZ for a TB and blew a 20-6 HT lead. PSt again played well off a loss by smacking Indy by 23. In their FHG they had a big tribute to inj'd LB Mauti while Wisc had already clinched the B10 Title game, which was the following week. UW got a late td and surprisingly did not go for 2 and PSt beat them in OT. The sanctions will have PSt depth shy again TY and they did benefit from +9 in TO's. However, PSt was +82.1 ypg LY (4th best B10) and goes from 6 ret sts to 14! The Lions do draw Mich and Neb out of the Legends Div. They figure to be improved at every position except QB and LB and are actually a deeper squad than LY's plus are now in the 2nd year under O'Brien. This is clearly a more talented team and while LY they were only favored in 7 games, they could be favored in as many as 10 this year.They do need to get down to 65 scholarship players by the start of next year and have begun working on that already but it wouldn't at all surprise me to see them match or even top LY's outstanding 8 win total.

33- Boise st
Boise St joined the WAC in '01 and despite coming from the lower level Big West conf,they thoroughly dominated the league for their 10 yr stay. While the Broncos didn't win EVERY championship, they went a remarkable 75-5(94%)inWACplay(+161ypg).When they dominated Ariz St 56-24 in the Las Vegas Bowl in '11, they finished#8. LY they had their lowest(#24)pressn rankingss/'08 (NR). They had to replace Kellen Moore and were one of the least exp'd teams in the country (6 ret st). Boise is the winningest program in the country the L11Y at 129-15 90% (Ohio St #2 at 117-24 83%) and has won 10+ gms for 7 str ssn's (longest stk in FBS). In the opener vs Mich St they were outgained 461-206 but a def td kept them in it. MSU ended the game at the BS6 only winning 17-13. Boise only led Miami, Oh 15-9 at the half but won by27.They beat BYU despite no tscoring an off td as BYU was stopped on a 2ptconv in th e7-6win.They led NM25-0atthehalf but had to hold on for the 32-29 win. In fact, in the 5 game span (wks 3-7), they did not allow a single pt in the 1H.They rolled past SM 40-14 and led Fresno 17-0 at HT (won by 10). After 2 more expected wins, they hosted SDSt and had a 176-96 yd edge at half but after a td with 5:35 left, they failed on the 2 pt conv and lost. After another couple of blowout wins, they went into Nev and had a 243-90 yd edge at half (led 17-0) but held on for a 27-21 win. In the bowl they got past Wash 28-26 despite being outgained 447-407. They open the ssn vs that same UW team TY. Boise is more exp'd with 9 ret sts but were +20 in TO's LY and had great off (12.94) and def (20.01) ypp's (pg 28). They were thought to be headed to the Big East but remained in the MW and do draw Fresno, Nevada and SDSt out of the West div. They are led by now-veteran QBSouthwick and the offense figures to bnemore explosive and I'll call for them to get back to the 480 ypg level of '11 after just 391 ypg in '12. Playing Fresno, Wash, BYU, SDSt and Utah St all on the road will make it difficult to run the table but they are my pick to win the Mountain div in the MW and are again are one of the top non-BCS teams.

96 days to go ...

(No more ties): In 1996, the NCAA changed the rules to allow for overtime to decide games that were tied after regulation. There were 26 OT games that season.

arkansaskentucky_display_image.jpg

The 2003 Arkansas vs. Kentucky football game was a game played on November 1, 2003 and it tied a NCAA record for the longest football game ever played. The game included seven overtime periods. Arkansas led the game all but a few minutes of regulation until a Kentucky touchdown drive in the last few minutes. Both teams had a blocked punt recovered for a touchdown, another rarity.The game ended in the seventh overtime period when Kentucky quarterback Jared Lorenzen fumbled the football on a quarterback keeper play, ending the game.

<dd>In overtime, Jared Hicks moved the Hogs to the one with an 11-yard catch from Jones. From there, Mark Pierce carried into the end zone to give Arkansas a 31-24 lead.

</dd><dd>A holding call against Arkansas moved Kentucky to the 15-yard line on their ensuing overtime possession.

</dd><dd>Bwenge then carried to the eight-yard line. A pass interference call against the Hogs moved UK to the two-yard line with a fresh set of downs.

</dd><dd>Bwenge carried it into the end zone from there to even the score and send the game into a second overtime.

</dd><dd>In the second OT, Bwenge again found the end zone to give the 'Cats a 38-31 lead.

</dd><dd>On the Hogs' possession, Jones ran for four yards on the first play following the UK score. Birmingham then carried for another three yards to bring up third-and-three at the 18.

</dd><dd>Jones ran around left end for the first down and put the Hogs at the nine-yard line.

</dd><dd>Birmingham then carried to the two-yard line after a seven-yard gain. On second down, Birmingham was brought down for no gain to bring up third-and-goal.

</dd><dd>A false start penalty against the Hogs pushed the Razorbacks back to the seven. Being chased backwards, Jones hit Jason Peters in the end zone for the touchdown to send the game to a third overtime.

</dd><dd>In the third OT, a Jones completion to Smith and run by Birmingham moved the Hogs to the eight-yard line.

</dd><dd>Birmingham was stuffed for a one-yard loss to bring up third down. Jones' pass was incomplete and forced the Razorbacks to attempt a field goal.
</dd><dd>Balseiro's 25-yard attempt was good and gave the Hogs a 41-38 lead.

</dd><dd>On UK's possession, a pair of runs netted nine yards and brought up a third-and-one from the 16. Bwenge carried for 11 yards to the five where UK had a first-and-goal.

</dd><dd>Another run by Bwenge moved the ball to the two-yard line. The Razorbacks stuffed Bwenge on the second-down carry for a loss of one to bring up third-and-goal from the three.

</dd><dd>Rock Johnson carried to the one to bring up fourth down. A penalty against UK pushed the ball to the six-yard line.

</dd><dd>From there, Begley's kick was good to send the game into a fourth overtime period.

</dd><dd>In the fourth overtime, a pair of completions by Lorenzen put UK on the one-yard line. Lorenzen carried to just inside the one on first down. On second down, Lorenzen carried into the end zone to give the 'Cats a 47-41 lead. The two-point attempt was good to give Kentucky a 49-41 lead.

</dd><dd>On Arkansas' possession, Jones ran in from three yards and then hit Pierce for the two-point conversion to even the game at 49-49.

</dd><dd>In the fifth overtime, Jones hit Wilson for a 15-yard touchdown. The two-point attempt was no good and made it a 55-49 game.

</dd><dd>On Kentucky's possession, the Wildcats moved to the two-yard line. On second down Lorenzen carried into the end zone to even the game at 55-55 before UK's two-point attempt. The attempt was no good and sent the game into a sixth overtime.

</dd><dd>In the sixth overtime, the Wildcats moved to the 11-yard line where they faced first-and-10.

</dd><dd>A pair of runs by Bwenge put the ball on the one-yard line with a fresh set of downs. From the one, Lorenzen recorded his third touchdown of the game.
The two-point try was good to give Kentucky a 63-55 lead before Arkansas' possession.

</dd><dd>Jones completed to Wilson and then carried around left end to put the ball on the two.

</dd><dd>Pierce carried in from the two to bring up the two-point attempt. Jones hit Wilson for the two-point conversion to even the score at 63-63 and send it into a seventh overtime.

</dd><dd>Arkansas had the ball first in the seventh overtime and found the end zone on Birmingham's 25-yard run. Jones found Peters for the two-point conversion to make it a 71-63 game.

</dd><dd>The Wildcats moved to the nine on their possession and faced third-and-seven. Lorenzen carried to the five-yard line where the 'Cats faced fourth down.
</dd><dd>On fourth down, Lorenzen fumbled trying to reach the first down yardage and the loose ball was recovered by Arkansas to end the game.

</dd>
[TABLE="class: infobox, width: 300"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]Longest Game in NCAA Division I-A History[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][TABLE="class: nowraplinks, width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 50%, align: center"]Arkansas Razorbacks[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%, align: center"]Kentucky Wildcats[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"](4-3)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"](4-4)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]71[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]63[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Houston Nutt[/TD]
Rich Brooks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TABLE="align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH][/TH]
[TH]1[/TH]
[TH]2[/TH]
[TH]3[/TH]
[TH]4[/TH]
[TH]OT[/TH]
[TH]2OT[/TH]
[TH]3OT[/TH]
[TH]4OT[/TH]
[TH]5OT[/TH]
[TH]6OT[/TH]
[TH]7OT[/TH]
[TH]Total[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Arkansas[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]14[/TD]
[TD]71[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Kentucky[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]10[/TD]
[TD]63[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Date[/TD]
[TD]November 1, 2003[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stadium[/TD]
[TD]Commonwealth Stadium[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Location[/TD]
[TD]Lexington, KY[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #EFEFEF, colspan: 2, align: center"]United States TV coverage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Network[/TD]
[TD]ESPN2[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[video=youtube_share;s_qMrlssRhQ]http://youtu.be/s_qMrlssRhQ[/video]

And that is one of several reasons why I hate college football overtime. The mere fact that you can have 80 points scored AFTER regulation is beyond silly.

32- northwestern

Northwestern had 59 yrs between Big Ten Titles (1936-’95) but has won or shared 3 Titles in the last 18 yrs although their last one came in 2000. Pat Fitzgerald had the unenviable task of stepping in after the team suffered the sudden loss of HC Randy Walker over the summer of ‘06. He did a good job, just getting the team to 4-8. In ‘07 I called for the Cats to be bowl eligible and they were at 6-6 (not invited). He followed that up with 9-4, 8-5 and 7-6 records. After a 6-6 reg season in‘11 ,they were alarge dog to A&M and Fitzgerald carried a stuffed Mouse around in bowl practices because their last bowl win was in the ‘48 Rose Bowl. They played well but lost by 11 marking the 4th str bowl loss under Fitzgerald. In the last 7 yrs, this team is now 2-0 in Aug, 20-9 in Sept, 15-9 in Nov but just 12-17 in Oct as NW classes usually don’t start until the end of Sept. LY they only had 10 ret sts (B10 fewest) but 4 of my 9 sets of PR’s still called for a 5th str bowl. They led Syr 35-13 but needed bkp QB Siemian to lead them to a td with :44 left for the 1 pt win. They trailed Vandy 10-3 at HT (227-85yddeficit) but dominated the 2H in a23-13win.They had a 290-141 yd edge at the half vs BC (led 12-10) in a 22-13 win. After waxing SD they had a schl rec’d 704 yds vs Indy in a 44-29 win and moved to 5-0 and #24. They led PSt in the 4Q but all’datd with 2:37 left and lost by 11.After beating Minn,they led Neb 28-16 with 8:31 left but blew that DD lead in the 1 pt loss (outgained 543-301). They beat Iowa but then, for the 3rd time in 5 gms, blew a 4Q lead as they punted to Mich with :18 left, gave up a 53 yd tipped pass FD, and 26 yd fg to force OT where they lost by7.MSt fmbl’d at the NW 2 and was SOD at the 4and despite being outgained 419-303, NW beat MSt on the road, 23-20.They blasted rival Illinois allowing just 37 yds in the 2H (24 Sr’sFHG).Four of their B10 foes LY had a bye prior to them(Ind, Minn, Neb, MSt). On ESPN Insider, I called for the Cats to get that bowl Mouse off their backs and they delivered with a34-20 win over Miss St and finished#17. Afterwards Fitzgerald brought the torn up “Mr Mouse” to the press conference. The Cats did benefit from +14 in TO’s, come up -3.5 in my Stock Market Indica- tor and had +3 net upsets LY (pg 29). They also had beneficial off (12.5) and def (16.8) ypp’s. The Wildcats came within 5:03 of an unbeaten season LY incl gms vs Mich and Neb which they appeared to clearly have won late in the4Q.They have 15ret st’rs making them a much more veteran unit than LY when they had just 10. NW has avoided both OSt (last ply’d ‘08) and Wisc (last ply’d ‘10) in recent years but is the only one of the Legends contenders that must play both of them.TY that schedule keeps me from calling for the Div Title, but this could be Fitzgeralds’ most talented team yet and they have a great chance of being ranked in the preseason for the first time s/’01.

31- ucla

Under Karl Dorrell ('03-'07) UCLA got to a bowl in all 5 years with a high water mark being a #7 ranking in '05, the year they finished 10-2 and #16. Rick Neuheisel inherited just 6 ret sts in '08 and went 4-8. After getting to 7-6 and a bowl in '09, they slipped back to 4-8 in'10.In'11he got them to the P12 Title game but it came the week after a 50-0 loss to USC (the true South champ, ineligible). After a loss to Oreg by 18 in the P12 Title game, Neuheisel was let go and they lost to Illinois in the bowl to finish 6-8. LY I picked UCLA as one of my Most Improved Teams as Jim Mora,a former NFL cch,was trying to capture the magic that happened at USC when they brought in Pete Carroll from the NFL. He inherited 14 ret st'rs. UCLA also avoided Oreg and got 5 P12 HG's.Things started well for the Bruins as they destroyed Rice with 646yds(QBHundley72 yd td run on 1st snap of his career) and had 653 vs Neb (w/o RB Burkhead). In both games they topped 300 yds both rush and pass.They clubbed Houston 37-6 but then lost at home to Oreg St, 27-20. After beating Col, they lost in Berkeley for the 7th str time,mostly due to 6TO's as they were only outgained 480-381 but lost by 26. They dominated Utah more than the 21-14 final would indicate and then got a 33 yd fg on the last play to get past Ariz St, 45-43. Ariz was off its upset win over USC and UCLA destroyed them 66-10. They led WSt 37-7 at the half and held on for an 8 pt win in 20 ̊ temps. In a rainy gm for the P12 South Title, USC QB Barkley was knocked out and UCLA led 24-0 and won 38-28. UCLA was in an unusual situation hosting Stan. If they won, they would have to travel to Eugene to face Oreg where as if they lost to Stan,they would get a rematch vs the Cardinal. UCLA lost 35-17 (allowed 7 sks). The next wk at Stanford in the P12 Title game,they led24-17 in the 4Q but lost by 3 despite a 461-325 yd edge. They were then whipped in the bowl by Baylor trailing 35-10 at HT with a 372-138 yd deficit. UCLA finished with a schl record 482 pts (477 '97). TY UCLA has 12 ret sts but draw a Stock Market Indicator of -4.0 and despite their 6-3 P12 record LY, they were only +2.6 ypg (#6). UCLA also plays both Stanford and Oregon on the road in B2B wks. There are 7 current FBS HC's that were also HC's in the NFL and the other 6 all improved their record in year two.While it will be another successful year,I don't envision them topping LY's 9 win total.

No I was just wondering if you had been saving them somewhere as they had been posting them. I was going to have you email them to me, but not a big deal.

95 days to go ...

Best ever?: The 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers might be the greatest team of all time, as they went 12-0 en route to the national title. Nebraska had an average margin of victory of 38.7 and had only one game in which it won by fewer than 20 points (35-21 over Washington State).

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Date[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Time[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Opponent[SUP]#[/SUP][/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Rank[SUP]#[/SUP][/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Site[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]TV[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Result[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Attendance[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #DDFFDD"]
[TD]August 31[/TD]
[TD]7:00 PM[/TD]
[TD]at Oklahoma State[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]#2[/TD]
[TD]Lewis FieldStillwater, OK[/TD]
[TD]ESPN[/TD]
[TD]W 64–21[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]42,100[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]September 9[/TD]
[TD]2:30 PM[/TD]
[TD]at Michigan State*[/TD]
[TD]Spartan StadiumEast Lansing, MI[/TD]
[TD]ABC[/TD]
[TD]W 50–10[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]73,891[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]September 16[/TD]
[TD]1:00 PM[/TD]
[TD]Arizona State*[/TD]
[TD]Memorial Stadium • Lincoln, NE[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]W 77–28[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,418[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]September 23[/TD]
[TD]Pacific*[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]W 49–7[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,630[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]September 30[/TD]
[TD]Washington State*[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]W 35–21[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,777[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]October 14[/TD]
[TD]Missouri[/TD]
[TD]Memorial Stadium • Lincoln, NE (Rivalry)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]W 57–0[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,552[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]October 21[/TD]
[TD]#8 Kansas State
Dagger-14-plain.png
[/TD]
[TD]ABC[/TD]
[TD]W 49–25[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]76,072[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]October 28[/TD]
[TD]at #7 Colorado[/TD]
[TD]Folsom FieldBoulder, CO (Rivalry)[/TD]
[TD]ABC[/TD]
[TD]W 44–21[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]54,063[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]November 4[/TD]
[TD]Iowa State[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]#1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]W 73–14[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,505[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]November 11[/TD]
[TD]at #10 Kansas[/TD]
[TD]Memorial StadiumLawrence, KS[/TD]
[TD]ABC[/TD]
[TD]W 41–3[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]47,880[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]November 24[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma [SUP]1[/SUP][/TD]
[TD]Memorial Stadium • Lincoln, NE (Rivalry)[/TD]
[TD]ABC[/TD]
[TD]W 37–0[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]75,662[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]January 2[/TD]
[TD]7:00 PM[/TD]
[TD]vs. #2 Florida*[/TD]
[TD]Sun Devil StadiumTempe, AZ (Fiesta Bowl)[/TD]
[TD]CBS[/TD]
[TD]W 62–24[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]79,864[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Tempe, Ariz., Jan. 2, 1996 -- In one of the greatest performances in college football history, top-ranked Nebraska became only the second team ever to post perfect back-to-back national championship seasons with its 62-24 victory over No. 2 Florida in the 1996 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. The 38-point margin was the second largest in a No. 1 vs. No. 2 showdown.

The Huskers trailed 10-6 at the end of the first period before striking for 29 unanswered points in the second quarter. Lawrence Phillips's 42-yard score gave NU a 13-10 advantage. On Florida's next possession, Jamel Williams sacked Danny Wuerffel for a safety. Nebraska capitalized on the ensuing possession as freshman Ahman Green scored from 1-yard out. After Kris Brown's field goal made it 25-10, Michael Booker intercepted a Wuerffel pass and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown, giving the Huskers a 32-10 cushion. Brown's second field goal of the quarter extended the lead to 35-10 at halftime.

In the second half, NU quarterback Tommie Frazier ended all hopes for a Gator comeback, scoring a pair of touchdowns to give NU a 49-18 lead after the third quarter. Frazier, who rushed for 199 yards en route to MVP honors, raced 35 yards for the first score and capped the evening with his second score, a 75-yard performance as he broke seven tackles. NU rushed for an NCAA bowl-record 524 yards in the performance and held UF to minus 28 yards on the ground.

With Frazier running for 199 yards in the final game of his remarkable college career -- including a signature 75-yard touchdown run in which he broke six tackles -- the Cornhuskers became the first team to win unanimous back-to-back championships in 39 years.

Nebraska (12-0) joined the 1955 and 1956 Oklahoma Sooners as the only teams to win uncontested championships since the two-poll system was introduced in 1950. The 38-point Husker margin of victory was the second largest in the 30 games between the two highest-ranked teams since the Associated Press poll began in 1936. Army's regular-season 48-0 victory over Notre Dame in 1945 was the only more one-sided outcome.

72441368_display_image.jpg

[video=youtube_share;aWAoywr9uNY]http://youtu.be/aWAoywr9uNY[/video]

94 days to go ...

The Cornhusker dynasty: Nebraska won its first of three titles in a four-season span in 1994, a feat equaled by Alabama when the Crimson Tide defeated Notre Dame in the Discover BCS National Championship

Tom Dienhart of the B1G Network wrote this about comparing the mid-90s Huskers to the current Crimson Tide teams:
It’s a healthy debate and it’s a fun debate: Which of the two most recent college football dynasties is most impressive—Alabama or Nebraska?

Alabama’s third national championship in four seasons has placed this current run into the “dynasty,” category, no matter what Nick Saban says. And more chapters may be added in 2013, 2014, and beyond. If so, that would render this debate moot.
For now, the Crimson Tide’s run has conjured memories of the last school to win three national championships in four seasons: Nebraska, from 1994-97.

The biggest difference between the runs is the fact all three of the Crimson Tide’s titles have been undisputed. Conversely, the Cornhuskers shared their 1997 championship with Michigan. That may or may not sully Nebraska’s feat in your mind. Still, it’s noteworthy.

Michigan entered the bowls after the 1997 season as a consensus No. 1. And it looked good in dispatching Ryan Leaf and Washington State, 21-16, in the Rose Bowl. Hence, the A.P. voted the Wolverines No. 1. Makes sense, right?

However, the coaches’ poll leaped Nebraska to No. 1 over Michigan in its final poll. Yes, the Huskers looked good in beating Peyton Manning and Tennessee, 42-17, in the Orange Bowl. But, was it REALLY enough to pass Michigan? I don’t think so.

So, why did it happen?

OTNINPXNRTICNFM.20090831210114.jpg

Because some feel the coaches wanted to give out-going Nebraska coach Tom Osborne a retirement present.

Yes, it’s speculation, but can anyone give any other logical explanation as to why 13-0 Nebraska should have passed 12-0 Michigan in the coaches’ poll?

Here’s another twist to consider: The Cornhuskers’ run had a shot to be five national titles in a row. It almost happened from 1993-97, when Nebraska posted an aggregate 60-3 overall mark (37-0 in league play).

Nebraska lost the national championship game to Florida State after the 1993 season in the Orange Bowl, falling 18-16. And in 1996, the No. 3 Huskers were stunned 37-27 in the Big 12 title game by unranked Texas after seemingly being on track to maybe play for another national crown.

Still, which of these two schools’ “three-titles-in-four-years” run is most impressive in your mind?

I have to give the nod to Alabama.

Just the fact that the Crimson Tide has had to climb over so many great teams in the SEC to reach college football’s summit gives them an edge. The Big 12 that Nebraska had to contend with in the mid-1990s wasn't nearly as formidable. Remember: It’s seven national titles in a row and counting for the SEC.

bcs-trophy-college-football.jpg

A great argument can be made for Nebraska having the more impressive run. But, I still like Bama’s skein just a bit more. And, again, it soon may add to that to make this a meaningless discussion.

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]1994[/TD]
[TD]Florida State[/TD]
[TD]10–1–1[/TD]
[TD]Bobby Bowden[/TD]
[TD]DuS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nebraska[/TD]
[TD]13–0[/TD]
[TD]Tom Osborne[/TD]
[TD]AP, AS, B(QPRS), BR, FN, FWAA, NCF, R(FACT), SN, SR, UPI, USAT/CNN, USAT/NFF[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Penn State[/TD]
[TD]12–0[/TD]
[TD]Joe Paterno[/TD]
[TD]DeS, ERS, MGR, NCF, NYT, R(FACT), SR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1995[/TD]
[TD]Nebraska[/TD]
[TD]12–0[/TD]
[TD]Tom Osborne[/TD]
[TD]AP, AS, B(QPRS), BR, DeS, DuS, ERS, FN, FWAA, MGR, NCF, NFF, NYT, R(FACT), SN, SR, UPI, USAT/CNN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1996[/TD]
[TD]Florida[/TD]
[TD]12–1[/TD]
[TD]Steve Spurrier[/TD]
[TD]AP, B(QPRS), BR, DeS, DuS, ERS, FN, FWAA, MGR, NCF, NFF, NYT, R(FACT), SN, SR, USAT/CNN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Florida State[/TD]
[TD]11–1[/TD]
[TD]Bobby Bowden[/TD]
[TD]AS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1997[/TD]
[TD]Michigan[/TD]
[TD]12–0[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Carr[/TD]
[TD]AP, FN, FWAA, NCF, NFF, SN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nebraska[/TD]
[TD]13–0[/TD]
[TD]Tom Osborne[/TD]
[TD]A&H, AS, B(QPRS), BR, DeS, DuS, ERS, MGR, NCF, NYT, R(FACT), SR, USAT/ESPN[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The correction I would make to Dienhart's blurb is that Nebraska only played in the Big 12 the last 2 seasons (1996 and 97) and were members of the Big 8 in the first 2 season (1994 and 95).

Anyways, here's another perspective from Trey McLean of CultureMap.com:
At its best Miami had trouble filling up their home stadium. The student body at the time was only about 12,000 students at the most and a lot of those students were from out of state and with South Beach, the Dolphins, the night life and celebrities all over the place, it was easy to forget about the college football team. A private school comprised of quite few out-of-staters that left town after graduation, the City of Miami supported the Hurricanes, but not through thick and thin.

Nebraska was the polar opposite in every way. There is no beach in Nebraska, or near Nebraska. The closest professional teams are a state away and the celebrities in the state are the college football players, both current and former. Kids grow up wanting to be Cornhuskers from birth and Memorial Stadium is packed every single game, regardless of how good the team is.

In fact, on game day in Lincoln, Memorial Stadium becomes the third largest city in the entire state of Nebraska. It’s everything to the people of the state and NU is the flagship school, where just about everyone wants to go. It was a school, a town and a state that rallied around their team, and their coach.

Tom Osborne had a wonderful career at Nebraska heading into the mid-1990s. One of the most tenured and successful coaches in all of college football, Osborne nearly got the national title in 1983 and his 20-plus years at the helm, Nebraska had won 11 Big 8 titles and had played in 22 straight bowl games.

images

But at the time they were known as much for being the team the national champion beat in the bowl game as they were for their record. They watched as Georgia Tech and Florida State celebrating winning a championship at their expense. That was all about to change.

Heading into the 1994 season, Nebraska was confident. And angry. The Huskers finished 11-1 in 1993, missing a last-second field goal against FSU in the Orange Bowl that would have given them the title. They were tired of hearing about how close they were getting. They were angry at being overlooked. They titled the 1994 season “Unfinished Business.”

With Tommy Frazier, Lawrence Phillips and 29 other NFL players on the roster the Huskers rolled through the regular season with the triple option and back to the Orange Bowl against Miami. This time, however, they did not wilt, but rallied for 24-17 win and a national title. It was just the beginning.

The 1995 Nebraska team, with most of those 31 NFL players back and the crazy Peter Brothers, beat the tar out of everyone. They are widely considered the best college football of team of all time. They didn't have an opponent stay within closer than 10 points to them all season and they pasted Florida, 62-24, in the National Championship Game. They were back-to-back to national champs and added another in 1997, splitting the championship with Michigan. Their run wasn't as long as Miami’s, but it was just as impressive.

• From 1993-1997, Nebraska won three titles: 1994, 1995 and 1997 and was a loss to Texas away in the inaugural Big 12 title game from playing for a four-peat.
  • In that time Big Red was 60-3. Yes, three losses in five years.
  • NFL brand names like Ahman Green, Grant Wistrom, Mike Minter and the more infamous like the Phillips and Peters 1 and 2 were everywhere on Sundays... and that isn’t including their option quarterback factory of Tommy Frazier, Brook Berringer and Scott Frost, among others.
  • The Husker dynasty was over after the 1997 season, but they were very close in 1999 and played for the title in 2001, even though they never should have.

Tom Osborne retired after the 1997 season and it was essentially over, but they were very close in 1999 and played for the title in 2001, even though they never should have. How the hell do you go from 60-3 to Bill Callahan? I still can’t believe that happened.

callahan-rain.jpg

93 days to go ...

Finally not wide: After several agonizing close calls, Bobby Bowden and Florida State finally earn a national championship in the 1993 season with a win over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

ward.jpg

TALLAHASSEE, FL (10-9-93) --- For the first time in three years, the outcome of the annual show down between Florida State and Miami did not come down to a field goal attempt in the game's final minute. FSU did not let it come to that, using a pair of big plays early to derail the Hurricanes, 28-10.

Both of FSU's big gainers went for touchdowns, and both came in the game's opening quarter. Before the Doak Campbell Stadium record crowd of 77,813 could settle into their seats, tailback Sean Jackson swept around right end and raced 69 yards to the end zone to give FSU the lead just 3:43 into the game.

The third ranked 'Canes answered seven minutes later when Donnell Bennett capped a 9 play, 80 yard drive with a 6-yard TD reception from Frank Costa.

With the score knotted at seven, FSU's Fast Break Offense took just three plays to give the Seminoles the lead for good. On third and 10 from the FSU 28, Charlie Ward broke out of the pocket and scrambled to his right. On the run, he lofted a ball over two UM defenders to a streaking Matt Frier in stride for a 72-yard score.

Ward gave the Seminoles a 14 point halftime advantage when he scrambled into the end zone from two yards away early in quarter number two. The touchdown was made possible by a key play on the only third down of the drive. On third and seven from its own 43, freshman tailback Warrick Dunn lined up next to Ward in the shotgun. Instead of snapping the ball back to Ward, FSU center Clay Shiver hit Dunn with a direct snap that surprised the Miami defense. Twenty seven yards later, Dunn picked up a first down at the UM 30, and Florida State was on its way to a touchdown.

l_cd470633207a484689ed08612395414f.jpg

Thanks to strong play by the two defenses, two Florida State fumbles and a missed field goal by Miami, the score remained 21-7 until early in the fourth quarter. Then, Miami kicker Dane Prewitt narrowed the margin to 21-10 with a 23-yard field goal. The kick ended a 16 play, 74-yand drive that ate up 8:06 and had the Campbell Stadium faithful fearing another Hurricane comeback.

The Miami defense stiffened, forcing an FSU punt. But UM got nowhere on its next possession. The Seminoles took almost 2:30 off the clock on its next drive, but a punt gave Miami the ball at its own 23.

From there, Florida State strong safety Devin Bush, a Miami native, snatched a Frank Costa pass and went 40 yards for a score to provide the final margin. The interception was the first of Bush's career.

Its spirit broken, UM was unable to move the ball on its next try, and Florida State ran out the final 4:21.

On the day, the Seminoles rolled up 450 yards of total offense and averaged 7.4 yards per play, while the FSU defense limited the potent Miami air attack to just 193 yards, despite playing most of the second half without All-American Derrick Brooks and the third quarter without leading tackler Ken Alexander. The victory stopped Miami's three game series winning streak and was Florida State's second in its last nine tries against the Hurricanes.

SOUTH BEND, IN (11-13-93) --- College football's most anticipated regular season game lived up to its billing in 1993. Charlie Ward's final pass was knocked down at the goal line by Shawn Wooden as time expired, giving second ranked Notre Dame a thrilling 31-24 victory over top ranked Florida State in Notre Dame Stadium before 59,075 and one of the largest television audiences to ever see a college football game.

The loss ended FSU's 12 week run as the nation's top team and also stopped the Tribe's school record tying winning streak at 16.

The Seminoles looked like they might have an easy afternoon the first time they touched the football. Opening at the FSU 11, Ward drove his team 89 yarils in 10 plays, capping the drive with a 12 yard touchdown pass to Kevin Knox.

The Irish struck right back. Adrian Jarrell raced 32 yards around right end on a reverse to even the score at seven.

gphr_co_1611_r5f03a.jpg

Notre Dame won the game in the second quarter. Tailback Lee Becton, who ran for 122 yards on the day, broke a 26 yard scoring run over the left side to put the Irish on top. The drive was characterized by missed tackles by the FSU defense and superior blocking by the Notre Dame offensive line.

The Irish capitalized on Ward's second interception of the year, and his first in 159 attempts, to go up 21-7. From his own 6, Ward rolled right and lofted the ball toward Kevin Knox, who had run past the ND secondary. But a strong wind held the ball up and John Covington intercepted to give the Irish excellent field position. Four plays later, ND's Jeff Burris went in from six yards out to give his team a 14 point advantage with 7:48 left in the half.

After an exchange of punts, FSU started to drive behind the running of Sean Jackson and William Floyd. But Knox fumbled after a completion, halting Florida State's momentum and leading to another exchange of punts before halftime.

Notre Dame stretched the lead to 24-7 early in the third period. Kevin Pendergast booted a 47 yard field goal, the longest of his career, five minutes into the half.

The Tribe cut the lead to 10 on its next possession. Ward hit Warrick Dunn in the left flat and the freshman scampered into the endzone from six yards out.

With 10:40 to play, Scott Bentley sliced the margin to a touchdown (24-17) with a 24 yard field goal. Ward found Kez McCorvey four times for 38 yards on the drive, in which he completed 7 of 8 passes.

With Florida State mounting a rally, the Irish needed to regain momentum. ND did just that with a classic 9 play, 80 yard, 3:47 drive that culminated in Burris' 11 yard run to paydirt.

Down 31-17 with 4:05 to go, Ward and his teammates would not quit, marching to the Notre Dame 5 yard line. But after a pair of penalties, the Seminoles faced fourth and goal from the 20. Ward spotted McCorvey in the back of the endzone, but did not see ND safety Brian Magee. Fortunately for the Seminoles, Magee tipped the ball into McCorvey's grasp, making the score 31-24 with 2:26 to play.

After a failed onside kick, the Tribe defense stiffened and forced an Irish punt after three plays. Jarrell's kick was held up in the wind and netted just five yards, giving FSU possession at its 37 with 51 seconds left.

Ward opened the final drive by scrambling, then flipping the ball to McCorvey just as he was being tackled for a gain of nine. The quarterback then hit Dunn for four yards before finding McCorvey twice in a row for a pair of 18 yard gains, putting the ball at the ND 14 with 10 seconds left. Ward's first shot at the endzone was batted down at the line, leaving three seconds on the clock. The miraculous Florida State raily ended one play and 14 yards short when Wooden knocked Ward's final pass down at the goal line.

und-si-covers.jpg

Ward finished the day with 31 completions in 50 attempts for 297 yards and three scores, while McCorvey caught 11 passes, nine in the second half, for 138 yarils to earn NBC Player of the Game honors.

MIAMI, FL (1-1-94) --- The 60th Annual Orange Bowl game proved indeed to be a "Classic" as the nation's top two teams battled to the last second for the 1993 National Championship. When Florida State kicker Scott Bentley's field goal with 21 seconds left in the game split the uprights and Cornhusker Byron Bennett's last second kick sailed wide left, the Seminoles stood as 18-16 victors over number one Nebraska.

[video=youtube_share;vk8FB8bD9Jo]http://youtu.be/vk8FB8bD9Jo[/video]

Both teams started slow offensively, failing to score in the first quarter. In all, the teams combined for five punts and a missed field goal in the period. And while defense continued to dominate in the second stanza, FSU took a 3-0 lead on Bentley's 34 yard field goal after marching 63 yards. The big play in the FSU drive was a 31 yard pass from Charlie Ward to Kevin Knox, while a pass interference penalty on Nebraska gave Florida State a first down on third and six.

It took less than two minutes for the Cornhuskers to counter. When FSU's Devin Bush tipped a pass from Nebraska quarterback Tommie Frazier into the hands of receiver Reggie Baul, NU had a 34 yard touchdown completion and a 7-3 lead.

Florida State and Nebraska traded possessions before FSU was able to add another three. Seminole quarterback Ward showed the skills that won him the Heisman Trophy, scrambling for 23 and passing for 39 of the 71 yards on the drive. Bentley nailed a 25 yard field goal with 22 seconds left and as the half ended, the heavily favored Tribe trailed, 7-6.

FSU regained the lead after taking the second half kickoff and driving 67 yards. Ward, the game's Most Valuable Player, set up William Floyd's 1 yard TD plung with a 41 yard pass to Knox before his two point conversion attempt fell incomplete. Nonetheless, the Seminoles took a 12-7 lead.

One possession later, FSU increased its lead. After taking over at its own 12, Florida State looked to junior fullback Floyd for a spark. He obliged with a career long 34 yard run to the FSU 46 yard line. Six plays later, Bentley's third field goal of the night, this one from 39 yards out, put the Seminoles up 15-7 with 3:06 remaining in the third.

230213_display_image.jpg

Nebraska held the ball for the rest of the quarter, and on the first play of the final period, Lawrence Phillips ran to the right for a 12 yard touchdown. A two point conversion attempt to tie the game at 15 failed when Frazier was knocked out of bounds at the one.

Florida State was unable to advance past the Nebraska 45 on its next drive, so the Cornhuskers once again took over. Their march deep into Seminole territory came to a sudden end when Richard Coes intercepted a pass at the FSU nine. But the Seminoles went three and out, turning the ball over to the Cornhuskers with 4:39 left in the game.

Nebraska drove from its own 20 to the FSU 4 after Liss' 42 yand punt. Phillips ran for l7 yards on the first play of the drive, while Frazier gained 32 yards on another rush. But the Seminole defense stiffened from there. Three runs netted minus five yards and Bennett kicked a 27 yard three pointer from the five, giving the 'Huskers a 16-15 lead with 1:16 to play.

Starting at the 35 yard line after Bennett's kickoff went out of bounds, Ward took over. Aided by a pair of penalties against Nebraska, a 15 yard late hit after a 21 yard Warrick Dunn pickup, and a 15 yand pass interference call, Ward led FSU to the Nebraska five with 21 seconds left. Bentley's 22 yard kick on second down sailed through the uprights and gave Florida State an 18-16 edge with 21 seconds left.

But Nebraska was not ready to call it a day. On second down from the Nebraska 43, Frazier completed a 29 yard pass to Trumane Bell. The Seminoles celebrated as time apparently expired on the play, but the Cornhuskers had called a time out with one second remaining. As Bennett's last second attempt sailed wide left, the Seminoles wrapped up their first 12 win season and earned Florida State's first football national championship.

Florida_St_Bowden_Retires_Football_7_t607.jpg

30 Washington

TheHuskieshadastreakofTWENTY-SEVENnon-losingseasons snapped in '04, thanks in part to NCAA probation (low schlps).They thenhad6straightlosingyrsinclSarkisian's1stssn.Imentioned inmy'09magazinethatcomingoffan0-12'08season,UWwas probablythemostimprovedteamintheNCAAbutduetofacingmy #16 sked, I did not put them on my Most Improved List (I expect those tms to be in bowls). Their jump from 0-12 to 5-7 included upsets of #3 USC and #19 Cal and was their biggest jump s/'70 whenSonnySixkillerledthemfrom1-9to6-4.UWdidmakemy MIT in '10. Of the BCS teams, only Duke and Baylor had longer droughts without a bowl. UW did need to win their last 3 to get to a bowl. They had been blown out by Neb 56-21 at home during the reg ssn but then upset Neb 19-7 in Jake Locker's final gm (Holiday Bowl). In '11 UW had 14 ret sts and while they lost the #8overallpickinthedraft,Ifelttheycouldhaveimprovedpassing numbers. While UW had a better reg ssn record, this time they lost the bowl to Baylor in a shootout to finish 7-6 again. LY UW had 13 ret sts incl QB Price.They had to face LSU, Stanford, Oreg andUSCinthe1HoftheseasonandwereplayingtheirHG'sat CenturyLink Field (also had 5 P12 AG's). Due to the schedule, I said a strong 2H would likely land them a bowl spot. UW got past SDSt but then was thrashed by LSU. After beating Port St they trailed #8 Stanford 13-3 in the 3Q when on 4&1 they got a 61 yd td run by Sankey which turned the game around. SU was int'd at theUW8attheendandUWgottheupset,17-13.Afterlosingto Oregonby31,theytrailedUSC24-7atHTandlost.Theywere blown out by an AZ team off a bye, 52-17 and stood just 3-4. OSt got QB Mannion back from inj but he was rusty throwing 4 int and UW, despite being outgained 427-293, beat the #7 Beavers in a pivotal game, 20-17. They trailed Cal 13-7 but rallied for a 21-13 win. In their "FHG", they beat Utah 34-15 (437-188 yd edge). UW went 5-1 in CenturyLink Field.They had a 476-141 yd edge and beat Col 38-3 and appeared poised to reach the 8 win mark that has eluded them as they led WSt 28-10 in the 4Q but UW missed a 35 yd fg on the final play of reg and lost in OT.In the bowl, UW had a 447-407 yd edge but Boise got a 27 yd fg with 1:16 left and UW was int'd at the B32 and lost by 2. TY UW has their most veteran team s/'05 with 18 ret sts. They did have +3 net upsets LY but USC and LSU drop off the schedule. I will call for Price to return to 2011's form and their 24.2 ppg was the best ppg allowed since 2000 (22.5). They will also be playing in the refurbished Husky Stadium giving them an even greater home edge.Despitepotentiallyfacing4rankedP12teamsontheroad, IwillcallfortheHuskiestofinallybreakthroughandtopthat7 win total for the first time s/'01.

92 days to go ...

SEC changes college football landscape: In 1992, the SEC became the first conference to showcase a championship game. The first game was Dec. 5, 1992, when Alabama used a late Antonio Langham interception return to seal a 28-21 win over Florida and go on to win the national championship a few weeks later.

[video=youtube_share;oAizG5xKG8M]http://youtu.be/oAizG5xKG8M[/video]

***The Langham INT is at 8:42***

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --- The 1992 SEC Championship Game will go down as one of the most influential college football games in modern college football history. Not because of the outcome, but for what it did to the landscape of the game.

At the time, opinions were divided on whether having conference championship games would be good for conferences. Roy Kramer, who was the commissioner of the SEC and the man behind the experiment, rolled the dice and changed college football forever.

Detractors said that the game would be bad for conferences in the national title hunt. As luck—or fate—would have it, the Alabama Crimson Tide rolled into Birmingham on December 5, 1992 with an 11-0 record and a No. 2 ranking. Florida entered the season as defending SEC Champions, but sputtered to a disappointing 8-3 record.

Alabama jumped out to a 21-7 lead midway through the third quarter, but touchdowns by Willie Jackson late in the third and Errict Rhett midway through the fourth would tie the game at 21. With just over three minutes to play in the game, Florida had the ball with a chance to win.

images

Kramer's worst fears were coming true. The inaugural SEC Championship Game could cost a team in his conference a shot at the national championship.

On the first play from scrimmage, Antonio Langham picked off Shane Matthews and took it the other way for a 21-yard pick-six to give the Tide the 28-21 victory.

Alabama would go on to beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl on January 1, 1993 to claim the 1992 National Championship.

The outcome of the 1992 SEC Championship Game not only vaulted Alabama to a national championship, but it solidified a place for conference championship games in the landscape of college football.

ncf_a_teague11_600.jpg

NEW ORLEANS --- The Hurricanes never knew what hit them.

"The whole second half is a blur,'' quarterback Gino Torretta, who entered the game with a 26-1 record as a starter, said afterward.

The plan was simple. Alabama suspected it could run on Miami, while believing the ‘Canes could not against the Tide. The key was foiling the Miami passing game.

The handwriting was on the wall in the opening 30 minutes, a span in which the Tide outrushed the Hurricanes 152-6. Bama, an eight-and-a-half point underdog, took a 13-6 lead before turning the lights out on Miami.

Then the Tide hit the Hurricanes with a roundhouse blow by scoring two more touchdowns in the span of 16 seconds.

The first of two consecutive interceptions of Torretta, by cornerback Tommy Johnson at the Miami 44, was returned to the 20, leading to Derrick Lassic's 1-yard touchdown run.

The second pickoff of Torretta, on the first play of Miami's next possession, was a quick pass pilfered by George Teague, who stepped in front of receiver Jonathan Harris at the 31, took off down the right sideline and high-stepped into the end zone.

That play, for all practical purposes, ended matters.

The resultant 27-6 lead was the biggest Miami deficit since the Hurricanes lost to Tennessee 35-7 in the 1986 Sugar Bowl.

This all seemed somehow fitting in the first year of the Bowl Coalition, the agreement between most conferences and the major bowls to try to pair the best two teams for the title despite the league tie-ups of their champions to play in specific postseason games; the centennial year of Alabama football; and the Crimson Tide playing under the guidance of Gene Stallings, Bear Bryant's former assistant and a man whose resonant voice echoed that of the Old Master.

92victorysm.jpg

Stalling's team was treading in deep water, though. The No. 1 Hurricanes No. 1 had used their sophisticated passing game to build a 29-game victory streak, longest in the nation. Conversely, Bama was almost an afterthought in the polls. The Tide was not picked as a national contender before the season, and deep into its schedule was not receiving any first-place votes. Bama, while winning and leading the nation in four defensive categories, was unimpressive to voters until things started jelling in November.

This Alabama team may not have been all that impressive to the uneducated eye, but the Crimson Tide came together, rising to No. 2, and headed to New Orleans with a 22-game victory streak - which failed to impress the Hurricanes, who made it a point to taunt and laugh at Bama with the message that Miami was too good to lose to "a one-dimensional team.''

Yet it was the dimensions of the Hurricanes that gave heart to the Tide coaching staff, which put in a new scheme for the Sugar Bowl. Convinced that Miami could not run on his team, Bama coach Gene Stallings decided to gamble, installing a scheme that sometimes used as many as seven defensive backs and, at other times, put all 11 defenders on the line.

Miami's confidence - or overconfidence - became a real weapon for the Crimson Tide.

"In all my years, I've never heard such stuff," Alabama defensive coordinator Bill Oliver said of the ‘Cane's notorious ‘trash talk.' Oliver said with a post-game snort, "They laughed at us when we were warming up. Imagine that!"

Stallings' conviction that the Tide could run on the ‘Canes was vindicated. Bama rolled up 267 yards on the ground. The flip side also showed the acumen of the Alabama staff. Miami runners gained a paltry 48 rushing yards - 42 coming on an inconsequential drive after Alabama had already started its celebration.

Kevin Williams provided Miami's most potent weapon, returning a punt 78 yards with 12:08 to play. But Miami never really threatened to get back in the game.

Torretta did garner 278 passing yards, but most of that yardage came after the Crimson Tide had the victory salted away. Besides, the three interceptions thrown by Torretta more than offset that statistic. He had thrown just seven in the entire regular season.

doc4c93dba5ba9027148692833.jpg

"I think we confused him a lot,'' Tide defensive back Sam Shade said. "There were times he thought we were in man (defense) and we were really in zone. I don't think they expected us to use seven defensive backs. But they don't have a very good running game, and we were able to do that.''

Though the score would never reflect an upset, Miami was the biggest favorite ever to lose a Sugar Bowl game - a dubious distinction previously held by the 1985 Hurricanes, eight-point favorites when they lost 35-7 to Tennessee.

Cornerback Antonio Langham put Alabama's national championship victory into perspective: "I was shocked," Langham said. "I expected it to be a whole lot tougher. But we rattled them before they could think clearly."

Back