oklahoma st -23 winner

week 3

TCU -8 (1.05 units ) ( CRIS ) LOSER
Virginia Tech -18 ( CRIS )
virginia +3 ( CRIS )
toledo +21.5 ( CRIS )
Arkansas/Alabama under 48.5 ( CRIS ) ADDED SEPT 11
Western michigan +20.5 -105 ( las vegas hilton) ADDED SEPT 13
Cal Poly -4 -115 ( 0.05 units of a normal cfb unit or 1 unit of fcs- 57.50 to win 50.00 ) ADDED SEPT 14

Strong leans

Western michigan +19.5 ADDED TO PLAYS SEPT 13
wake forest -22 ELIMINATED sept 13
tennessee +8 ELIMINATED SEPT 12
houston -14.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 12
ohio state -3 ELIMINATED SEPT 11

talk me off leans

smu +3 ELIMINATED SEPT 11
vanderbilt -4.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 11
byu -7 ELIMINATED SEPT 12
nebraska +10.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 11
Bama -3.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 11
southern miss +1 ELIMINATED SEPT 11
miss st +13 ELIMINATED SEPT 12
Temple +30.5 eliminated sept 13
MSU -8 ADDED TO TALK ME OFFS SEPT 10 eliminated sept 13

Last edited:
ok wanted to give some quick thoughts on strong leans and talk me off leans. i will have writeups on my plays as the week progresses.

Strong leans
w michigan + ?- i am playing this game just havent locked it in yet. so write up coming later in week

wake forest -22 two tough losses to two quality teams. Wake has looked better than i expected and play very tough at home. Army gave up points to Akron who managed 69 yards this past saturday vs ohio state. wake needs the win and Army is good at providing them. concern is Wake offensive scoring averages.

tennessee +8 -- last few years the final score differential has been 2006 1 point , 2005 9 points , and 2004 2 points. If it is one of those pound it out sec conference games i want the points. Tennessee has two games vs quality opponents under its belt and florida has played w kentucky and troy. concern is tennessee defense that appears less stout than in years past to this point of the season.

houston -14.5 . cougars took it to oregon in week1 and now face a tulane team that gave up a ton of points to miss st. . Have had two weeks to prepare and had to watch that oregon team crush michigan saturday. the concern with laying these points is sometimes turnovers but i imagine after turnover barrage in duckland that houston has focused on ball management. concern is that most teams improve most in week 2 especially under a new coach and tulane isnt as bad as final vs bulldogs suggest. hate laying over two td on the road as a general rule.

ohio state -3 the ohio state defense is a very tough one for any qb. as talented as locker is it is hard to expect him to put up a ton of points on buckeye D. Buckeyes had huge yardage , first down , and yards per play edges vs akron. With start of season being youngstown state and akron , ohio state has likely gotten extra preparation for this contest. concern is that washington has built a lot of momentum and locker has to have gained confidence the last few weeks. Washington is a very tough place to play and will be even louder than normal with ohio state as the opponent. willingham has this team playing solid on both sides of the ball and is balanced on offense. 3 seems short to me so considering

Talk me offs

smu +3 two weeks ago smu would have been the favorite. work is not done for me on the smu vs north texas in addition to not being done as far as examining the memphis/ark st game. concern is .. well ... a lot of concerns with smu, mostly with pass coverages.

Vanderbilt -3.5 power rating line made this a bit higher than this. again i have not completed all my work yet this week. thoughts appreciated on this game as well as all of them.

byu -7 have to say this team has looked pretty damn good over the first two games and present a tougher matchup for the tulsa no huddle gimmick crap that they used to win with against ulm. byu may have been the better team saturday vs ucla. What would ucla be laying here ???? concern is tulsa extra week to prepare for byu and cougars have to fly across country after two brutally physical games the last two weeks.

nebraska +10.5 lot of points to get at home in lincoln. there will be plenty of information on this game over the week throughout this forum and for that reason i put off capping this game. unfortunately for me it looks like the opening line got friggin pounded so i wish i had completed my work. the pounding may have given me value on nebraska though. concern is usc pounding of non conference opponents... talent ... dopnt trust keller yet , rush defense vs wake... quite a few concerns actually but not done looking at the game.

Bama -3.5 -- i capped this at -5.5 and expected it to come out -6. i think they may have subtracted two points due to rivalry factor. i have this game on my radar on the TOTAL as i see the books opening a line of 48 roughly which i will pound to the under.

southern miss +1 -- wrong team favored ?

miss st +13 - trust auburn to score enough ?

temple +30.5 -- seems a bit high but after buffalo ass whooping that cost me 1100 bucks i would hate to back this team again and look at a 48-12 score. could i live with myself if i bet temple three straight weeks and lost money ?

Again just some quick thoughts. writeups coming on all posted plays above and the w michigan game which will be a play.

GL this week VK - the TCU play is gaining steam - up to 9 on BM. I think Toledo is getting too many points as well.

Like WMU and Temple as well. Look forward to the write-ups.

Also, just a note about your Wake Forest lean write-up. One of Akron's scores vs. Army was an INT return, so they acually only gave up 15 vs. the Zips.

yup failed to mention that int dmoney. thanks for clearing that up. did you watch that army game ?? if so appreciate any analysis that is not noticeable via the boxscore

like toledo and TCU plays.

was considering bama, just dont like the fact arkansas has had time to prepare but the under does look nice in this game. may have to play s. miss as a dog if the line doesnt go their way. great writeup kyle, BOL this week.

bro, give me some feedback on why u like WMu vs. Mizzou..I think Mizzou rolls them.

Kyle,

I don't know what to think of WMU right now. They really stunk up that big game for them Saturday. IU is improved but I just thought it would be closer. I do understand Mizzou letting teams score more points late and all.

First write up of the week , it is not the western mich game sorry. that write up is incoming soon and it will give my thoughts on that game. enjoy this one in the meantime as i suspect it is one that most people will take issue with but which i think is fundamentally sound.

The Matchup : Virginia Cavaliers @ North Carolina Tar Heels

The line : North Carolina -3

LAST YEAR : North Carolina 0 Virginia 23

Virginia dominated North Carolina in this “sandwich” game from a year ago. Virginia was coming off a poor performance against Maryland at home and caught NC before NCSTATE. It is a rivalry game so it was not a traditional sandwich. Virginia controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and forced a few turnovers from the tar heels as well. Virginia held North Carolina to under 100 yards rushing and under 100 yards passing in this contest. Cavaliers averaged 5.8 a play from scrimmage and held the tar heels to 3.4 yards per play. They out first downed them 20-11 in route to scoring once per quarter while shutting out North Carolina. The tar heels longest drive of the game was 39 yards and ended with a fumble near the Virginia 20 yard line. Virginia had 4 drives of 10 plays or more.

Virginia offense vs. North Carolina defense
It has to be mentioned here. Virginia has not scored an offensive td in its last 3 road games. They will score a td in this game. Carolina has given up 14 to FCS James Madison and 34 to east carolina. They gave up over 30 a game last year ( 104<SUP>th</SUP> nation) and gave up 34 to their only D1 opponent this year in ecu .. Who is not an offensive juggernaut. They were 100<SUP>th</SUP> vs. the rush alst eyar and Virginia is clearly a run based offense. Virginia returns the entire offensive line that had their way with the NC defensive line a year ago. The NC defense returns only four starters and two of those are on the DL. Where NC is most experienced is where the cavaliers had their success last year. Virginia is not capable of dominating on offense but showed a lot of improvement over their week 1 game. The cavaliers averaged 4.9 a play vs. duke and actually opened up some holes for peerman to run through as they rushed for over 130 yards and threw for another 191. They had several holding penalties that stifle an offense like Virginias. The offensive line as a whole though played much much better than at Wyoming ( duke can make you look good though). Virginia should have some success with the run, setting up manageable third downs for either sewell or Lalich to attempt to convert. Lalich got some action last week and looked somewhat comfortable running the offense. While he was expected to get a few snaps he got more due to cramping for sewell. I see Virginia putting up about 20 in this game on the tar heel defense that has shown some poor tackling in the first few games. You can’t trust Virginia to score …. But you can’t trust NC to stop anyone.

North Carolina offense vs Virginia defense

Again , north Carolina failed to score a point last year in this game and Virginia returns 10 of 11 starters from that defense. Davis has been playing a lot of young kids wich is ok against james Madison and to a lesser extent the pirates , but an unlikely benefit when facing a veteran dominant defense like Virginia. North Carolina will start a talented freshman at qb in Yates. Yates has shown the ability to make some big plays even if he doesn’t make all the right decisions. He had several long throws for td vs. ECU early but managed only one scoring drive in the second half of that game and it was a 51 yard pass play for a td. They offensively scored 24 points and 17 of those came early when ECU was still on their Virginia tech hangover. He was sacked several times in the game and if not for elusiveness he would have been sacked more. The tar heels rushed for 2.9 a carrry vs. d2 james Madison and just 1.9 a carry vs. ecu last week. There is no reason to expect them to be able to run at all on Virginia and being forced to throw with a red shirt freshman against a talented and experienced defense will lead to mistakes. He will be under pressure all day and while he may make a big play here or there it is simply not reasonable to expect him to lead them on long drives. The Virginia defense was dominant last week despite being left in bad position after bad position due to turnovers on punts snaps , blocked field goal return , fumbled kick off … etc etc. I expect Yates to make atleast one big play in the game however and see the tar heels scoring 17-20 points.

Special teams - both teams sport excellent kickers in gould ( va ) and barth ( nc). Barth is a solid kicker although he has been shaky to start the year. Gould is solid but had a kick blocked last week. The cavaliers had snapping problems all day vs. duke but I expect they spent considerable time correcting that issue this week. The tar heels have faster athletes in the return game and I think they have a slight overall advantage in the special teams.
Coaching : groh vs. davis. Prefer Davis myself but both coaches are very good and there is little difference to be made in this one.

How i see the game and what i bet

I see this as a very low scoring game and expect to see a total for the game to be about 39 from the linemakers. Virginia should have better rushing ability than North Carolina as they improved their rushing last week and had success rushing against the NC defense last year. North Carolina has struggled to run in both games out of the gate this year against far lesser defenses of james Madison and east carolina ( sure the pirates are not bad but would not put them in the Virginia category and nc only averaged 1.9 a carry ). This should put a red shirt freshman in some third and longs where Long and company can put lots of pressure on him and force turnovers , sacks or negative plays. This should allow Virginia to win the all important battle for field position in this game either due to sacks or due to turnovers. Whenever I foresee a low total my first instinct is to look at taking the points. I look at these two teams and see three consistent units and one inconsistent .

Virginia offense -- consistently bad
Virginia defense -- consistently good
North carolina defense -- consistently bad
North carolina offense -- inconsistent

In addition, look at north Carolinas performances last year vs. any defense that ranked above average.

Rutgers they scored 16
Virginia tech they scored 10
Clemson they scored 7
Miami fl they scored 7
South florida they scored 20
Virginia they scored 0
Wake forest they scored 17
Goergia tech they scored 0
Ncstate they scored 23 YAY

How the hell do I lay 3 with these guys ?

Last five games vs. Virginia home team bold
2006 Virginia 23 North Carolina 0
2005 North Carolina 7 Virginia 5
2004 Virginia 56 North Carolina 24
2003 Virginia 38 North Carolina 13
2002 Virginia 37 North Carolina 27
Virginia is 4-1 SU and the lone NC win was by 2 points in a game they mustered one score. Also note that NC has a combined 7 points in the last two vs. Virginia. Again , how the hell do I lay 3 with these guys ?

In a game like this I prefer to have the one dominant unit. I am betting Virginia plus the 3 in this one and predicting an outright upset.

yanks ... i prefer to be talked off the "talk me off leans" not onto. hehe.

added mich state -8 to my talk me off leans at roughly 230 am pacific sept 10

Ok here are my thoughts on the western mich at missouri game.

The Match up : Western Michigan AT Missouri Tigers

Last Year : did not play

Missouri offense vs. Western Michigan defense

I have covered the Missouri offense ad nauseam in previous threads as I wagered on them -3.5 in stlouis vs. Illinois and at -6 on the road at Mississippi. We know what we get with this offense , which is a lot of points a lot of the time. They are very difficult for opposing teams to defend against due to quality weapons all across the board led by qb daniel and his two tight ends rucker and Coffman. The tigers have boasted large numbers in their first two games and are likely to score a lot in this game as well. It is officially the tigers home opener and with a 2-0 record and high expectations the stadium should be filled the tiger faithful. Western Michigan has allowed 62 to West Virginia in week 1 and 37 to Indiana in week two. Lets face it West Virginia is tough to defend at their own house and are a top 10 team based SOLELY on their offense. Also , that style is so far removed from what Missouri plays that it has little value other than examining the western Michigan tackling, which was not impressive. Western Michigan defense was slightly better than you might think in their loss to Indiana. One of Indiana’s scores was a fumble return and they were the benefactors of five straight turnovers from the western Michigan offense that led to most of their scores. In the second quarter Indiana returned a fumble for score and then started the next two td drives by acquiring the ball in western Michigan territory. The western Michigan defense settled down in the second half ( although Indiana had a big lead and was not under great pressure to score ). Indiana had 22 first downs and 442 yards of total offense. When Missouri ahs the ball they will spread the broncos out and daniel will deliver accurate balls to his wide array of receivers and tight ends while mixing in the run with temple. I do not see western Michigan stopping this offense on the road in the tiger home opener. The tigers racked up 429 yards and 25 first downs vs. Illinois and 548 yards and 29 first downs vs. Mississippi. I see Missouri scoring 34 to 38 points in this game.

Western Michigan offense vs. Missouri defense

Lets get the Missouri defense out of the way first. They have been absolutely torched by some teams that are not really known for their offense in Illinois and Mississippi. Illinois racked up 23 first downs , 435 yards and averaged 5.9 yards a play vs. tiger defense. Mississippi racked up 26 first downs , 534 yards of offense and 6.8 yards per play. This defense has been atrocious so far this year and perhaps worse … they have tired in each of the first two games. They have been pretty good at forcing turnovers as they benefited from 5 vs. Illinois and had another big turnover in their defensive redzone against Mississippi. They have recorded 5 sacks this year but opponents have thrown he ball 81 times. Missouri has yet to hold an opposing offense under 300 yards passing. The starting Qb for the broncos ( Tim Hiller ) has gone 44 for 76 ( 57.8 % ) in his first two games and the Broncos pas offense was effective against both west Virginia and Indiana. They did give up 8 sacks vs. Indiana which is a concern as the ol has not played particularly well to start the year. In fact western Michigan has struggled mightily to run the ball. They have a total of 62 rushing yards after 2 games though they had some huge losses via sacks that skew that number slightly. Missouri has been terrible vs. the run and pass so it is safe to assume that western Michigan gets more out of the running game this week but it is also safe to assume that the broncos don’t pound it on Missouri by any stretch. The broncos have moved the ball effectively in both games through the air however and have scored 24 or more in both games to start the year ( 24 at wv and 27 home to Indiana ). I see this team effectively attacking the porous Missouri secondary in this game and scoring 20 -24 points.

How I see the game and what I bet

Missouri is going to score on Western Michigan. I think that is a safe bet at home with that offense vs. a western Michigan defense that has not been great to start the year though they have defended many a short field due to turnovers. That begs the question … can western Michigan keep up ? Yes and no … I would be shocked to see them match Missouri score for score but I have absolutely no reason to believe that this Missouri defense can shut anyone down. I believe that there is always value with 20+ points unless I believe that the favorite can BOTH score on and defend the opponent. I can only trust Missouri to score , I cant trust them to defend .. In fact you have to have confidence that Missouri scores in high forties to even consider betting that side. I made this line -13 by power rating and -14.5 after capping it out. In addition , all of the deception in results have occurred in Missouri’s benefit and against the broncos. Missouri has been on the receiving end of turnovers in both games this year where as western mich has been decimated by them. Also , look at the western mich penalties in the first two games. 15 penalties for 117 yards , and 12 penalties for 111 yards. The turnovers and penalties make them look much worse than they actually are ! Clear value with the points here in my opinion as Missouri is a nightmare to sweat backdoor covers as well … so if they lead by 24 in the fourth quarter you cant feel safe the way you can with a team that has a defense. The line is too high and I am taking western Michigan + the points. Still trying to get best number I can , will add to plays as soon as the bet is made.

Think the Houston play looks good. Tulane defense was shredded against Miss. State and Houston has two weeks to prepare. They should have their way with this team and be able to light up the scoreboard. I played it at 14-120. GL this week.

Thanks timh. best of luck to you as well.

i see a 14 here in town. still looking at that one. saw a good writeup in renew or ramble or both on that game. if they play as well at tulane as at oregon they cover easy one would think

BOL this week. I usually like a team in Va Techs place. I am laying off this play because of the way they played in week 1 also

Eliminated SMU , Vandy , Nebraska and Southern Miss from my talk me off leans today. TCU / Air Force writeup should be posted by tomorrow morning in time for digestion before teh game thursday.

Last edited:
VK- You have some interesting games for this week. I have no read on UVA but NC sucks. I was in Vegas last yr when these two met and rode UVA to the cashier window so I think not much changes result wise here, UVA wins again. I don't really know what to expect from TCU, I was actually thinking about an AF first half play figuring that TCU came out sluggish. Toledo is an interesting play, maybe I missed your reasoning there but what drew you to that game? On the VT side of things, I think Tyrod will be better for the offense but they might have to win this game 20-0 to cover, lol. Anyway, best of luck this week

Added a total ark/bama under 48.5 today.

etg - thanks , wish you good luck as well ! I will post my thoughts on toledo this week before saturday. the number is getting better for toledo backers ... oh well i will take the worst of it sometimes when i bet early but other times ... like VA tech sitting at 20.5 now i get a value.

The under in that game probably a solid play. The clock will be running.

I already have Bama in that game though and don't want to tie up to much in that game. It is also generally is not a good idea to play the fav and the under.

The under in that game probably a solid play. The clock will be running.

I already have Bama in that game though and don't want to tie up to much in that game. It is also generally is not a good idea to play the fav and the under.

Thanks for reminding me. I also despise the under with a favorite. Was waiting to see what number i could get on the total to decide which i wanted. 48.5 ...... been a while since i wet my bed.

Therefore i eliminated alabama from my talk me offs tonight.:36_11_6:

Remaining leans :

STRONG

Wmich --- i will be playing it

Wake forest -- see some 20's and saw someone got it at 19.5 ..... under 20 i may have to take a stab here.

Tennessee -- seems like the points should be the play. have a feeling i dont end up betting this puppy

houston -- if i ever see a 13.5 i will likely play , otherwise i am laying off

ohio state -- they have really kind of fallen more into the talk me off lean area ... which generally dont make my card.

Talk me offs

byu -- has grown on me the more i look at the boxscores and the more i remember tulsa from ulm game that i watched.

miss state -- i have all but eliminated it from my list. if i get weather it may become a play so i am leaving it on. if it isnt bad weather i wont be on it.

temple -- think i need a week off from this team ... but damn .. that line looks fishy to me. uconn -30 ??? no ... uconn ??? As in connecticut ??

msu -- late edition to the talk me off field and has more to do with respect for other cappers thoughts on this one than my own ( which is somewhat indifferent )

Glad to be on board with you on a few games this week. i hate road chalk on thursday nights ( did it last week with beavers ugh ) but this has to be one of the worst possible matchups for air force. The spot is bad and if tcu does not come out and win this handily it shows the true value of "spot plays". Can't wish you luck on that one but hope we both cash toledo and wmich.

On a side note... looks like thunderstorms at tulane this weekend. i dont want to fade two td if the weather is bad and i wont have time to get the weather report on gameday. So i am dumping houston off my strong leans. Also knocking off ohio state. If it ever got back to a 3 i would revisit but i dont see that happening. just lost a TON of value going from a 3 to a 4.

On a side note... looks like thunderstorms at tulane this weekend. i dont want to fade two td if the weather is bad and i wont have time to get the weather report on gameday. So i am dumping houston off my strong leans.

:36_11_6:

You got jokes vegaskyle!

Tulane plays in the Superdome...

Here is my look at the TCU/AirForce affair this thursday night. One of my largest power rating differences between my rating and the actual line.

The Match UP TCU at AIR FORCE

Last Year : Air Force 14 TCU 38

The short story of this game is that the falcons could do nothing on offense. Their option attack was held to just 98 yards rushing and 44 yards passing. They were held to a measly 2.23 yards per carry in that game and completed just 4 passes. In the falcons 11 pass attempts they were sacked 2 times. TCU rushed for 3.36 yards per carry for 141 yards and threw with success ( 23 -32 236 ). The horned frogs had a 21 - 12 first down advantage in a game that was basically total domination. This game marked the final of fisher deberry’s career.

Air Force offense vs. TCU defense

Air Force employs an option attack that is obviously very run based. They have a senior QB that is actually a pretty decent thrower by air force qb standards. They rushed for 229 yards a game last year, ranking them 3<SUP>rd</SUP> nationally. They are a run first , run second and run third offense however as they completed 10 passes or more in only 3 games last year. In week 1 the falcons faced D2 south carolina state and crushed them 34 - 3 , while rushing for 279 yards and passing for another 176. They used multiple formations that confused the scsu defenders in an impossible matchup for them. They held SCSU under 200 yards of total offense and just 3 points. A good tuneup for them but close to meaningless. In week 2 the falcons traveled to Utah to play the Utes. The falcons deservedly won this game 20 -12 ( +1 t.o.) after stopping Utah from scoring late with a couple opportunities from the air force 1 yard line. Despite showing balance against a D2 squad in week 1 , air force reverted to their normal ways of run run and run vs. Utah. They did it with success. They ran 63 times for 334 yards vs. the Utah defense. They threw the ball just 14 times , completing 8 for 56 yards and being sacked once. The rushing numbers are impressive though the jury is still out on Utah run defense as they were also pounded by Oregon state rush attack that did nothing the following week at Cincinnati. As you can see, for AF to have success offensively they have to be able to run.
TCU has played two games to date vs. Baylor and at Texas. They defeated Baylor 27-0 aided by several second half interceptions and stifling run defense. They held Baylor to 51 yards on 25 carries ( 2.04 avg ) and forced Baylor into working “from behind the chains” on second and third down. Baylor did have some success throwing the ball as they threw for 231 yards on 26 of 55 throwing. The inability to run coupled with trailing turned the TCU defenders into ball hawks and they intercepted 4 passes. The pass rush for TCU was not as strong in this game as they only recorded 1 sack but some of this is due to the absence of stud DL Blake who missed the game due to illness or personal reasons or because he was trying to avoid an ncaa drug test. The following week vs. Texas , the horned frogs were equally impressive against the run vs. a top notch offensive squad of the longhorns. The longhorns rushed for 176 yards on 36 carries for a 4.9 average per rush but these stats are VERY deceiving. Over the first three quarters of this game Texas had just 58 yards on 20 carries for just 2.9 a carry. Texas made three big runs ( one of which a colt McCoy scramble) in the fourth quarter on a worn out and demoralized unit to skew the stats. I still contend that you cannot run on TCU. I stand by this until I see a team do it. Last year they gave up 2.2 yards a carry and over 100 yards just 3 times. The most they gave up all of last year was 131 at Utah.
To me this just looks like a horrible matchup for the air force offense. Asking them to control this game with their rush attack is unreasonable. They are going to have to throw the ball to have any success and they just havent shown the ability to do that the last few years ( 118<SUP>th</SUP> nation in passing last year ) vs. D1 opponents. TCU never seems to give up early scores and forces teams to play from behind and in that scenario it is hard to like Air Force. In my mind , the TCU defense has played two consecutive games vs. superior athletes and offenses than what they face this week at air force. It will be VERY difficult for the falcons to score here. Hell, they only managed 20 last week when they had great success running the ball. Where Air force might have an advantage over other schools in a short week trying to prepare for the option , this TCU defense has seen it each of the previous two years and returns almost everyone from those defenses this year. They should know how to defend it. I see Air force scoring between 10 and 14 points in this one

TCU offense vs. Air Force defense

TCU has struggled to produce points so far this season in their opening games vs. Baylor and at Texas. In the Baylor game TCU was fairly effective in picking up yards on the bears. They rushed for 181 yards on 45 carries for a 4.02 yard per rush average. They also threw the ball with some effectiveness as Dalton was 18 - 30 for 205 yards. They struggled however to convert anything on third down going just 3 of 15. All three of their TD drives started in Baylor territory and while they did have 4 drives of 40 yards or more , their best drive was a 77 yard drive that they fumbled away at the Baylor 3 yard line. They had four drives halt without points on the Baylor side of the fifty. TCU was then off to play a little known team from Texas in the longhorns. Texas has one of the biggest home field edges in cfb but TCU had put a lot of eggs into the basket of beating them. They started out decently taking a 10 point lead into halftime before melting down in the second half. The defense played well but this offense was dominated by the Texas defense. TCU rushed the ball 32 times for just 43 yards (ouch) for an average of 1.34 yards per carry. They did throw the ball half decently as Dalton again went 23 - 37 for 208 yards and an interception. He was sacked 3 times. TCU only managed 17 third quarter yards which inevitably gave Texas the win and tired out their defense heading into the fourth quarter. TCU played without RB Brown who is probably their best offensive player and at time of this writing he is doubtful to play vs. air force, though he has not been ruled out yet. In defense of TCU’s offensive line, some would argue that Texas boasts one of the top 3 DL in all of college ball.
Air Force gave up just 160 yards of total offense to SCSU in their opening game and surrendered just 14 first downs. It was an impressive effort but SCSU , while not a horrid D2 team, is the third best team in the MEAC for heavens sake. Lets look at the more relevant game at Utah last week. Air Force dominated the Utah offense until very late in the game when they gave up two late drives, the last of which sputtered out near the falcons goal line. Utah managed just 15 first downs . The utes only rushed for 73 yards on 33 carries for a 2.2 yards per rush average. Air Force was vulnerable through the air however as “green” qb Grady was 20-39 for 240 yards and 2 Interceptions. This was a very good defensive performance for a falcons team on the road but it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Every Utah skill guy from the first team in the spring seemed to be out for this game. The utes had to start Grady at qb due to Brian Johnson injury , lost their number one rb Asiata against Oregon state due to injury , and also were without their playmaking wideout Casteel in this one. It is not hard to understand why Utah would start this game very slowly offensively and then improve late. It is exactly what you would expect and it is exactly what happened.
This is another case where the horned frogs strength is matched up against the air force weakness. Air Force gave up over 213 yards passing a game last year and 240 in their only game vs. a d1 school this year. TCU has thrown for over 200 vs. two better defenses on paper in Baylor and Texas. The horned Frogs should have some success throwing when they need to in this one. Also , I believe it is more likely that we see the rush offense TCU had vs. Baylor as opposed to the one we saw vs. Texas. I mean , that the Baylor front seven more resembles the falcons than that of the longhorns. TCU has been a victim of not converting on third down so far this season. They have had manageable situations but have lacked some execution. This should improve each game as Dalton improves. I see the TCU offense scoring between 24 and 28 points in this one.

How I See The Game and What I Bet

The spot - This is not a good spot for TCU. They are coming off a devastating loss to the longhorns in a game that they had been looking forward to all summer and now have a short week to travel to air force to play a team that they bitch slapped last year. Smells of letdown. Air Force also runs an option attack which for some teams is difficult to prepare for. The game is also a night game on Thursday, where home dogs bite hard. Air force is coming off a big road win and Calhoun has them believing. They simply match up horridly with TCU, so if Air force were to cover here it truly shows the power of “spot plays”.

Air Force has consistently shown that they prefer to run the ball. You cannot run on TCU. I pounded this thought in everyones head last year when TCU was set to play northern Illinois in the bowl game. All northern Illinois can do is run and you cant run on TCU. TCU held garret wolfe and company to negative yards rushing and put on one of the biggest ass whoopings of the bowl season. Now, TCU will not hold the option attack of air force to negative yards … in fact at home I expect air force to clear 150 yards which would be more than TCU allowed in any game last year. Again, they allowed 176 to Texas last week but we covered how deceiving those numbers were. Lets say that Air Force were to throw effectively for them and get 100 yards passing …. That will equate to 250 yards of offense … and it assumes they improve dramatically in both areas vs. last years numbers against the horned frogs. So I expect the falcons to run the ball a lot until they are down two scores or more. The problem is that this ensures that they will be behind two scores in the game. TCU on the other hand has shown an ability to pass the ball somewhat which has been a weakness defensively for air force for years. I watched in person last year as rocky hinds and company of unlv threw it all over the field to open receivers. TCU should also manage a good 3.5 to 4.5 yards per carry in this one , making life that much easier for Dalton who is gaining valuable experience with each game. If RB Brown is healthy enough to play, this game gains even more in value. TCU led Texas 10-0 at halftime ….. Imagine if they had held on to win that game …. What would this line be ???? 14 -17 ?? And as bad as the spot is mentally …… imagine how small and slow the falcon players will look to TCU fresh off a game with a program that is consistently garnering top HS recruits. Also , while prepping for the option attack of air force on a short week would be something I would focus on in most cases as a major factor , it applies less here. TCU played these guys last year and most of that defense has returned for this years game. I think TCU wins this one by double digits going away as the ONLY thing one can point to for the other side is a letdown , short week spot.

TCU -8 my first 1.05 unit play of the season.:cheers:

nice number on ark/bama under

I want to see your thoughts on Virginia this week. i was a believer in the preseason but I have lost all confidence after their first two showings. What has you still believing?

rsms- see post #10 of this thread for my opinion on virginia/nc.

Basically as bad as offense and special teams have looked early the defense has still been the dominant one we all expected preseason. Lots of silly mistakes and penalties and shit in the duke game --- i watched that on one of my tvs. Easy stuff to clean up and they match up decently to nc defense.
Hope we nail that total !

Eliminated BYU, Houston , Tennessee and mississippi state today from my two leans list. Finally have a manageable list of leans, with wake forest , temple and mich state remaining along with western michigan that i plan to play at reduced juice tomorrow locally if it hasnt hit 21. Tired of treading water and slowly sinking ... hope to make some dought his week.

Eliminated BYU, Houston , Tennessee and mississippi state today from my two leans list. Finally have a manageable list of leans, with wake forest , temple and mich state remaining along with western michigan that i plan to play at reduced juice tomorrow locally if it hasnt hit 21. Tired of treading water and slowly sinking ... hope to make some dought his week.

por que?

After thorough investigation I realized that "por que" means "why".

Houston has been in my sights ever since the lines came out but I decided I would not play it at anything worse than 13.5 and I dont see that happening. If it does hit a 13.5 then I would go ahead and bet it. laying over two td in a conference road game is nothing I really want a part of on a regular basis. Put a gun to my head and I bet Houston. More of a fundamentals of betting concern here really as opposed to a match up concern. When I decide that I want a particular number, I usually stick to my guns. Earlier this year I decided I needed a +7 to play miami ohio at ball state. It never came and miami(oh) won outright. So it cost me that time ... but I have established some guidelines for myself over the years that help me to make money long term. I don't want to get undisciplined with them. Since I am off to a bad start this year I am being extra careful to remain within those parameters. I need the 13.5 ..... and i am sticking to it.

BYU is actually in a tough spot. Play tough game at home vs arizona ... then play another physical game on the road at ucla and now have to fly down to Tulsa to play a decent if not gimmicky team on the road. They have conference play starting at home the following week vs air force. Tulsa on the other hand has had two weeks to prepare for BYU, though they may have spent some time studying oklahoma ( also a bit of a look ahead for them) in that time. basically it's another game that I think there is some value with the big road favorite but not enough to warrant a bet for me. How physically beat up are the cougars ?? have to travel all the way down to tulsa ..... and play a TON of plays because of tulsa offensive system. just enough to knock it off my list but still think there is some value on byu.

Obviously ( as with all my leans) I still think the Houston and BYU sides are the way to go but just not enough for me ... maybe dr bob will be on tulsa or tulane ... in which case these numbers may move and make the games playable again.
Good luck ETG ---and dont let me laying off a game you like sway you too much, i am not exactly on fire right now.

vegas- good luck , but I'll be on North carolina.
Here's why.
Virginia has shown zero this year. Agreed ?
Don't underrate UNCs comfortable win over James Madison. JMU demolished a highly rated New Hampshire team last week. Then UNC showed me they are improved in their competitive game against East Carolina.
Last year's game was in Charlottsville
This year's is at Chapel hILL
Last year UNC had no QB. This year they appear to have one.
Last year UNC had no coach. This year they DO have one..
Why off SMU ? This game was something like 55-0 last year Does the change in location from Dallas to Murfreesboro (?) mean a 50 point swing?
I think you're on the wrong side with Ohio State and Nebraska, but those are hi-profile games so I won't comment further.
I understand your position re Houston and the points. I just think you'll find out you wish you had played them.
I think you make good contributions on here and I hope you will break out and have aweek like I did last Saturday - like 15-6 .
Best of luck to you.

Thanks Bull.

I've not only read your posts this year ... but I went back and pretty much read all of your posts last year in an attempt to learn more about d1aa. You were on a roll and looks like last week you nailed big too. I am off to a rather shaky start. Respect your opinion about james madison as i am aware that you really know these fcs teams. But appalachian state aside , we are still talking d2 when we are talking james madison. UNC played one good quarter against ecu as the pirates seemed to be in a bit of a hangover from the hokies contest. After that they didnt show me much as they found a way to lose. Virginia had a similar game against a lesser opponent in Duke. They played well in the first quarter offensively and defensively before pulling their best imitation of the key stone cops. Agree with you that Davis is a great coach but I dont think Groh is a slouch by any stretch. We will see what happens .... virginia has already cost me once this year.
I will probably regret dropping houston after they cover.... it wont be the first time.

good luck this week with the bull sheet

Added Western michigan to my plays today.

eliminated msu --- late to this party and the line got away from me

eliminated wake forest
eliminated temple
sorry for anyone who took my tcu advice as they didnt cover tonight. As i stated in another post ... 10-3 halftime lead ... tcu had 42 second half snaps in air force territory and air force had 1 second half offensive snap in tcu territory. air force outscores tcu 14-7 in secondhalf and goes on to win in ot. i think its safe to say i would make the bet again despite the outcome. bad beats happen. somewhere this year i will be on the wrong side and get the win. it all evens out. hopeful for a better saturday even though i am up against drbob on the toledo play.

Thanks Frankie :cheers:

ok lets put tcu behind us and move forward to some nice trends that support the cause in my saturday games. enjoy these nice little tidbits of comfort. Division 2 opponents have been left out of all trends for the most applicable information possible.

ARKANSAS/ALABAMA UNDER 48.5
Arkansas and opponents have not combined for 49 points or more in the razorbacks last eight road games. {{{ 8-0-0 to under 48.5}}}
Alabama and opponents have combined for 49 points or more only once in the Tides last 13 home games. ( the only time being a 26-23 overtime win by bama last year over ole miss. ) {{{ 12-1-0 to under 48.5 }}}

Ohio at Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech has played a team from the MAC conference at home each of the last 3 years. the combined score of those three games is Virginia Tech 131 MAC conference opponent 0.
2004 vtech 63 w mich 0
2005 vtech 45 ohio 0
2006 vtech 23 kent st 0

Virginia at North Carolina
-North Carolina has not defeated Virginia by 3 or more in the last 5 meetings.
-Virginia is 4-1 straight up in the last 5 meetings.
-virginia's lone defeat in this span was a 7-5 loss in 2005.
-North Carolina averaged just 14.2 pts per game vs virginia over this span
-North Carolina has scored more than 24 points at home only once in their last 10 home games
-North Carolina was just 1-5 straight up at home in their last 6 home games to division 1 opponents
-Not once in their last ten games has north carolina won the first down battle by more than 3 first downs.
-during this 10 game stretch north carolina has been out first downed 141-198 or 5.7 first down deficit per game.

WESTERN MICHIGAN at MISSOURI
-Western Michigan has been a 20+ point underdog only once in their last 21 games
-that game was a straight up 45-14 victory at bowling green as a 25 point dog in 2005.

Hope these trends continue this weekend !!!!:tiphat:

oklahoma can name their score. no idea what they name it though. i have never laid over 40 points in my life and am not starting this week. i have no desire to take utah state here either as i think stoops has it in for the small schools after the boise game last year. doubt he lets up much.... see north texas.

Off to a bad start in d1 so I havent gotten to spend the time that i had imagined to learn fcs much this year but will be making my first play this week.

Cal Poly -4 home to weber st

Cal poly shut weber st out last year in ogeden utah. It was not cal poly's only shut out of the eyar as they skunked fort lewis and savannah st as well. With solid defense and James Noble to control the game on the ground, i see poly handling weber st here. 6 of polys 7 wins last year were by atleast 4 points. weber st won only one game on the road all of last year , defeating consistent conference bottom dweller idaho st by a field goal in the final game of the year. idaho state won just 2 games all of last year so it is far from an impressive feat. One final note .... Bull likes poly as well which gives me added confidence. my d1aa-fcs unit is just 50 bucks and i have no idea if i can beat this sport given that i have far less information to base my opinions on. 57.50 to win 50.00 cal poly -4

Cal Poly -4 home to weber st

f_clown1.jpg

Cal poly shut weber st out last year in ogeden utah. It was not cal poly's only shut out of the eyar as they skunked fort lewis and savannah st as well. With solid defense and James Noble to control the game on the ground, i see poly handling weber st here. 6 of polys 7 wins last year were by atleast 4 points. weber st won only one game on the road all of last year , defeating consistent conference bottom dweller idaho st by a field goal in the final game of the year. idaho state won just 2 games all of last year so it is far from an impressive feat. One final note .... Bull likes poly as well which gives me added confidence. my d1aa-fcs unit is just 50 bucks and i have no idea if i can beat this sport given that i have far less information to base my opinions on. 57.50 to win 50.00 cal poly -4

180px-Erik_estrada.jpg

Thanks ponch. not a fan of fcs i take it. Home to the best team in the nation , appalachian state.

Just joking, vegaskyle is my boy. I'm flying him down for the Texas/OU game with the money he has won me in the last couple years.

That said:

gay1.jpg

Yup , can't wait for the red river shoot out. texasfight for a ponch loving , clown teabagging , sunnavabitch ... is a pretty nice guy. Not only got me the ticket to the game and the plane ticket but ..... I'm going first class. Hope they are ready for a redneck bastard up there in the hoity toity section. I understand it's all the alcohol I can drink or atleast whatever they have in stock. I am bringing enough money for texasfights' bail in case this is the year that a sooner fan takes exception to his fun loving "CHIPS" references. Save me a cold lonestar for when i get there Texasfight.

Back