time to post my week 6 card so far

Grading the losses real quick in what was a nice little weekend...

USM - This is such a tough game to grade. 31-10 final .... 26-14 fd edge, 439 - 277 yardage edge, marshall was 1 for 11 on third down. Unfortunately usm turned it over on downs 5 times, fumbled the ball away to the opponent four more times, threw an interception to the opponent once, and went 1 for 2 from fgs compared to 1 for 1 for marshall. This is a deceiving box score by definition but I would be wary of giving it a ton of weight just because of the game dynamics of marshall with a large lead for a majority of the 2h. I have to give this a minimum of a b- getting a full td though! So I will .. B-

NCSU -Grade D- ..... VT with a 20-17 and 358 - 270 yardage advantage. Both seem pretty fair representations of the game but what I thought was absolutely devastating to ncstate was the lack of discipline in the penalty department. 9-81 is not a good effort in general when discussing penalties but the timing and stupidity of them was especially poor. Jumped out to a quick 10-0 lead and then basically got whipped for the remainder. No playmaking on the outside, Brissett (who makes LeBron look young) has lost a step it appears to me year over year. Ncstate is a tough offense to back if they cannot control the line of scrimmage and they clearly could not. Shocked a little at how well vt ran the ball on them .. D-

Ball State D+ -- The key stat was obviously the 11 of 14 on third down for northern Illinois. That is an insane conversion percentage. niu with a 35-30 fd edge, and 636-503 yardage edge. Cardinals just couldn't get off the field.

NW F- ..... They could play another four quarters and not sure nw could score on the wolverines. The Michigan offense outscored the nw offense, the Michigan defense outscored the nw offense and the Michigan special teams outscored the nw offense when they returned the opening kick for a td. I remember slumping my head when the opening kickoff occurred but it was only because I thought that it actually mattered. large first down edge for Michigan, large yardage advantage for Michigan and large yards per play advantage for Michigan ... they also just looked dominant to a such a degree that I think nw knew they had no shot pretty early in the game. F-

Hawaii -2 F- --- I don't want to discuss this game too much ..... I had bad information regarding the sdsu rb earlier in the week that didn't pan out right for me. As it turns out, Hawaii struggled to generate anything on offense anyway. sdsu rb had a good game and wittek had his normal game. Not much to add here but to say much like Michigan state bet later on, this is a situation where maybe I shouldn't be laying pts with Hawaii until they show they can put up a number.

Michigan state -14 -- they cannot run anymore .. they cannot dominate the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball anymore, without the run to set up the play action pass game the wr's can't get separation anymore. MSU qb is pretty good though. F- .... I won't get into it more.

Latech/utsa under 62 -- A- ------ I went 7-1 with the totals this week and this bet is really the only bet I feel I deserved to win that I did not win yesterday. Teams combined for just 39 first downs and just 744 yards which should allow for ample room to the under at this number. How did it lose? Well, it largely lost because of early turnovers .... utsa threw an interception that was returned for a td on their first drive ... then on latechs second drive they were intercepted and it was returned to the latech 8 yard line..... wait for it ..... then latech intercepted utsa again and returned it to their 8 yard line ......that all happened in the first damn quarter. Not done ....a little bit later latech got intercepted on their first play of the drive and utsa returned it to the latech 14. And to top it off with about a minute to go in the half latech, aided by multiple utsa penalties, managed to go 70 yards and score a td with about 8 seconds left ... they were out of timeouts when the drive started. The game had better offense in the second half and I lost this bet by a fg (though it was basically lost at 31-31 a bit earlier) ... but it took an awful lot of bologna to occur to not win that puppy. In fact, this game might be the unluckiest game I have had this year. Should have won. A-

South Carolina 20.5 C+ -- It was a coin flip. Ironically I settled on 20.5 as the absolute worst line I would play this game at and that is what I did. I didn't see 21's and will have to go check the market history to see if they were out there for the taking. Fumbled the snap on fourth and half a yard late when starting out their backdoor cover attempt. Defense was completely gassed second half and they just got trucked. They allowed a fluke td pass in the second half but also benefitted from a kickoff return td in the first half. Thought the play calling on first and goal inside the five early was pretty bad by Spurrier and company ... thought the secondary played poor (lsu passing game looked more competent than normal to me) ... don't think I would play it again so C+ may be generous .. ..... just needed one fourth qtr pt in a game they were trailing in and in a game they were able to move the ball in for a good chunk of the time ... but it wasn't to be ... I will stick with C+ ... maybe just a C though.

14-9 for the week ... been an incredible start to the year so can't complain.

Good week VK,

Gotta fight you here though...

MSU qb is pretty good thoug

He is solid if not good but he keeps regressing...dumb overthrows tonight...few other things...look back at first 3 qtrs of Cotton Bowl last year...

Dude is not that good...maybe will be better in NFL with coaching...but something is still amiss with him not getting the captains pick as well...

thanks alan

wvu - almost forgot ... I give myself a D (they just came out flat), I give 21 of the wvu starters a B- and I give Howard an F- ............ He is just holding that team back from being really, really good. Took WVU a half to get going ... wvu with a 26 20 first down edge and gained 81 more yards than Oklahoma state.... but the turnovers were costly for them and the minus one was largely the difference in the game ... my general feeling about the game after watching it was that at this point in the year (Howard may develop who knows) this game is going to be a one possession affair and laying what I was here was probably a bad investment.

Good week VK,

Gotta fight you here though...

MSU qb is pretty good thoug

He is solid if not good but he keeps regressing...dumb overthrows tonight...few other things...look back at first 3 qtrs of Cotton Bowl last year...

Dude is not that good...maybe will be better in NFL with coaching...but something is still amiss with him not getting the captains pick as well...

Well, I don't know about his locker room demeanor ... but he was throwing to slow covered guys a lot ... seemed pretty accurate to me most of the game. What ten qb's in college right now would you take over him that are still playing? (since gunner and zaire are out)

doughty?
Mahomes?
Goff?
Boykin?
Falk?
Russell?
Kessler?
Ward?

It's hard to find many that are better than he is right now. Agree to disagree ... I think it is the other 21 that are disappointing.

Well, I don't know about his locker room demeanor ... but he was throwing to slow covered guys a lot ... seemed pretty accurate to me most of the game. What ten qb's in college right now would you take over him that are still playing? (since gunner and zaire are out)

doughty?
Mahomes?
Goff?
Boykin?
Falk?
Russell?
Kessler?
Ward?

It's hard to find many that are better than he is right now. Agree to disagree ... I think it is the other 21 that are disappointing.

No, not knocking him. He just has regresses since this time last year. That is all.

[TABLE="width: 1269"]
<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="4"><col></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]ctg posted only[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Investment[/TD]
[TD]In [/TD]
[TD]Current/Close[/TD]
[TD]Variance[/TD]
[TD]Final Score[/TD]
[TD]Result[/TD]
[TD]Win[/TD]
[TD]Loss [/TD]
[TD]Tie[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TD]USM 7[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Marshall 31 USM 7[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD]Washington 17[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]wash 17 usc 12[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD]wvu -6[/TD]
[TD]-6[/TD]
[TD]-4.5[/TD]
[TD]-1.5[/TD]
[TD]osu 33 wvu 26 OT[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD]Illinois 10[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]illinois 20 Iowa 29[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD]ball state 10.5[/TD]
[TD]10.5[/TD]
[TD]10.5[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]bst 41 niu 59[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD]Virginia 10[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]uva 19 pitt 26[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD]Tulsa -7[/TD]
[TD]-7[/TD]
[TD]-7[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]ulm 24 tulsa 34[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD]UConn 3[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]-1[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]uconn 40 ucf 13[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
[TD]nw 11.5[/TD]
[TD]11.5[/TD]
[TD]10.5[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]nw 0 mich 38[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
[TD]TCU -6.5[/TD]
[TD]-6.5[/TD]
[TD]-9[/TD]
[TD]2.5[/TD]
[TD]tcu 52 ksu 45[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
[TD]Duke -12 -105[/TD]
[TD]-12[/TD]
[TD]-13.5[/TD]
[TD]1.5[/TD]
[TD]Duke 44 Army 3[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]12[/TD]
[TD]Hawaii -2 [/TD]
[TD]-2[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]-3[/TD]
[TD]sdsu 28 haw 14[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
[TD]NCState Pick[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2.5[/TD]
[TD]-2.5[/TD]
[TD]vt 28 ncsu 13[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]14[/TD]
[TD]Michigan State -14[/TD]
[TD]-14[/TD]
[TD]-12.5[/TD]
[TD]-1.5[/TD]
[TD]msu 31 rut 24[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
[TD]Scarolina 20.5[/TD]
[TD]20.5[/TD]
[TD]20.5[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]lsu 45 scar 24[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
[TD]Wash/USC Under 56[/TD]
[TD]56[/TD]
[TD]59.5[/TD]
[TD]-3.5[/TD]
[TD]wash 17 usc 12[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD]illinois/iowa over 45.5[/TD]
[TD]-45.5[/TD]
[TD]-47[/TD]
[TD]1.5[/TD]
[TD]illinois 20 Iowa 29[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]18[/TD]
[TD]cmich/wmich over 52[/TD]
[TD]-52[/TD]
[TD]-51.5[/TD]
[TD]-0.5[/TD]
[TD]cmich 39 wmich 41[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]19[/TD]
[TD]mtsu/wku over 65[/TD]
[TD]-65[/TD]
[TD]-70[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]mtsu 28 wku 58[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]
[TD]latech/utsa under 62[/TD]
[TD]62[/TD]
[TD]54[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]lt 34 utsa 31[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD]uconn/ucf over 39.5[/TD]
[TD]-39.5[/TD]
[TD]-38[/TD]
[TD]-1.5[/TD]
[TD]uconn 40 ucf 13[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD]Ohio State/Maryland over 54.5[/TD]
[TD]-54.5[/TD]
[TD]-57.5[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Terps 28 tosu 49[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]23[/TD]
[TD]Michigan State/Rutgers over 51.5 [/TD]
[TD]-51.5[/TD]
[TD]-56[/TD]
[TD]4.5[/TD]
[TD]msu 31 rut 24[/TD]
[TD]winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Total Variance[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Weekly Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Average Variance[/TD]
[TD]1.00[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]60.9%[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Previous Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]84[/TD]
[TD]68[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]55.3%[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Overall Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]98[/TD]
[TD]77[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]56.0%[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Still trying to get my head around WVU as a team. Holgo seems to have curbed his cowboy ways a little. He still loves the big play, but he's happy if it comes on the ground or on defense.

No, not knocking him. He just has regresses since this time last year. That is all.

Ya ... I can see that position .... I guess I am just looking at it from the perspective of the running game being a lot worse and the defense being a lot worse and him being forced to throw on passing downs more than the last couple of years. Someone else might argue that the great defenses and great running games were hiding some of his weaknesses. tomatoe tomatah I guess.

Ya ... I can see that position .... I guess I am just looking at it from the perspective of the running game being a lot worse and the defense being a lot worse and him being forced to throw on passing downs more than the last couple of years. Someone else might argue that the great defenses and great running games were hiding some of his weaknesses. tomatoe tomatah I guess.

Running game is very good for MSU...LJ gonna be a star and London is a great name we don't know...just OL injuries have killed it...

Still trying to get my head around WVU as a team. Holgo seems to have curbed his cowboy ways a little. He still loves the big play, but he's happy if it comes on the ground or on defense.

He got crushed by his QB last year and he cannot trust the QB he has this year .. it has him hamstrung a bit I think. The RB is really good ... the right side of their oline is good too when it comes to run blocking. But that kid does not value the football at all and has a bad sense of the rush .... makes it tough for him to run his whole offense I think.

Old mate Dantoni doessomething right with QB's. 3 former MSU QB's starting in the NFL

True, but the NFL has about 10 good starting QB's..

Kinda funny...MSU has morphed into UM of 90's with a bunch of average QB's starting in NFL...

Back