time to post my week 3 card so far

Really rough day. No complaints other than ECU.

A Litany of bad bets ..

Utep under - Knew this was a potential flat spot for utep and that is horrible for facing the option for a mid major. I can forgive not playing Army on the road laying to a relatively equal team but I will struggle to forgive myself for making note of the fact this is their most likely flat spot of the year and then playing them to stop the option. dumb.

Illinois - is. awful.

App st - I don't get it. I mean I credit the playcalling of Miami and I knew that there was a chance they could pass on app st but for them to throw that stinker out there on defense out of nowhere in that spot was strange. Buddy had 55. numbers matter.

unlv - outgained by about 200 yards and gave up 10 yards per attempt to Rush and co. haha. horrible bet apparently. Don't get it.

Fresno - I am embarrassed to post the stats but outgained by a running play short of 400 yards. .. fresno had 7 first downs and were 0-13 on third down. I do think I understand this one.

Alabama - haha. wow. don't think bama backers deserved the money anyway so I won't call it a bad beat but .. I don't get it. but a horrible bet.

mich st nd - 900 yards .. nd threw for 344 .. msu rushed for 260 in a night game at nd. I don't get it. but a horrible bet.

usc - ok this was an ok bet that lost. Can tell you what you have with usc ... you have a GREAT and wonderous body of a dragon but neither a qb or coach to act as the firebreathing head so the powerful body wilts. Played dead even with Stanford .. blown coverage hurt , fourth and 1 hurt .... anyway I am ok with this bet.

mich colorado .. haha. ..

I won some close ones and the blowouts were me being wrong. not a good sign.

2H texas -6
2H texas cal over 42.5

Strong has a tough decision to make. He fired one of his friends, Watson. He may have to do the same with Bedford. The defense is clueless and just out of place, doing the same stupid things it did 2 years ago.

Illinois - is. awful.

I feel badly I came into your thread and made a case for Illinois. I was shocked at what I was seeing Saturday. We all know WM is good, but they dominated ILL and dominated them in the one place I didn't think they would, in the trenches. Never thought WM would run like that, never thought they would stuff the ILL run. ILL gave them several first downs by penalty, Lunt was horrible, pressured often too. What else...I mean one team is at the top of their game and the other is not. The Toledo - WM game is going to be must watch TV end of this year.

I always love the tread, sorry to promote such a bad bet.

usc - ok this was an ok bet that lost. Can tell you what you have with usc ... you have a GREAT and wonderous body of a dragon but neither a qb or coach to act as the firebreathing head so the powerful body wilts. Played dead even with Stanford .. blown coverage hurt , fourth and 1 hurt .... anyway I am ok with this bet.

The very next possession after the failed 4th and 1, with the score still the same 27-10 with 10 minutes left, USC had 4th and 6 at the Stanford 44. Instead of going for it they punted. Down 3 scores in the opposing territory with most of the 4th qrt I don't see how they don't go for that. I don't see the harm in going for it I mean it is kind of like your last gasp of a chance, but the failed 4th and 1 probably influenced the decision to punt. I thought it was a chicken shit thing to do and signaled the white flag. Stanford was able to kill 5 minutes and USC only touched the ball 1 more time. You have to go for that 4th and 6 if you are trying to win the game. USC coach was instead trying to just not be embarrassed again.

The very next possession after the failed 4th and 1, with the score still the same 27-10 with 10 minutes left, USC had 4th and 6 at the Stanford 44. Instead of going for it they punted. Down 3 scores in the opposing territory with most of the 4th qrt I don't see how they don't go for that. I don't see the harm in going for it I mean it is kind of like your last gasp of a chance, but the failed 4th and 1 probably influenced the decision to punt. I thought it was a chicken shit thing to do and signaled the white flag. Stanford was able to kill 5 minutes and USC only touched the ball 1 more time. You have to go for that 4th and 6 if you are trying to win the game. USC coach was instead trying to just not be embarrassed again.

I had +16.5 live in that game. As you can imagine, USC's inability to get at least 3 in the final quarter was incredibly frustrating.

CC, it seems like this shit gets harder every year. This is the first time in forever that I haven't had at least one play in the first three weeks that I felt was the absolute nuts (and ended up being the absolute nuts). Hard to find many easy ones.

I feel badly I came into your thread and made a case for Illinois. I was shocked at what I was seeing Saturday. We all know WM is good, but they dominated ILL and dominated them in the one place I didn't think they would, in the trenches. Never thought WM would run like that, never thought they would stuff the ILL run. ILL gave them several first downs by penalty, Lunt was horrible, pressured often too. What else...I mean one team is at the top of their game and the other is not. The Toledo - WM game is going to be must watch TV end of this year.

I always love the tread, sorry to promote such a bad bet.

I was all over Illinois. Basically saw things happening the exact same way that you did. We are wrong about 45% of the time every year. Just the way it goes. What bothered me most was the number of games I was just way off on this past week. Usually I win the ATS blowouts and then get whatever results from the coin flip plays in a given week. Week 3 cfb this year I felt like I ran pretty darn good on the close calls but I had a lot of just bad plays that had no shot. In the case of Illinois I was rather confident they matched up well with WM in regards to defending them, hence illinois and under. As it turned out, the only reason the game stays under is because Illini were inept on offense. Had Illini mustered more offense, I have little doubt WM scores more too with a reason to.

At the end of the day ..... Shaw v Helton was worth a little more than I thought and I thought I did account for it in my line. The odd part was the fourth and 1 failure was because he tripped over his own linemans feet, otherwise he converts. They were moving the ball ok at that time too for the most part. It made little sense to not go for it.

CC, it seems like this shit gets harder every year. This is the first time in forever that I haven't had at least one play in the first three weeks that I felt was the absolute nuts (and ended up being the absolute nuts). Hard to find many easy ones.

It sure does seem to get harder. I think the getting harder thing started several years ago but was kind of interrupted by BOL/Wynn horrible openers. So if you were doing it with any kind of professionalism, you could still get great numbers even without line manipulation that the real players utilize. I think BOL, for example, still has the occassional really bad opener but they are doing a WAY better job this year on their numbers.

Sometimes I watch on a Saturday and wonder just how random all of this crap is. Whenever I get the normal downward fluctuation that results in a losing year, I will really be playing mind tricks on myself and whether there is still an edge. I have run extremely lucky as far as never having a bad year and not really having any of the super great years either... just pretty steady as she goes .... but at my winning percentage (and any sports investors winning percentage) is not high enough where I shouldn't have had a losing year yet just on normal fluctuation. So while I will whine until the sheep come home about how unlucky I get (I get so negative on a Saturday that the guys I enjoy talking football with don't like talking with me while the games are on), the reality is that I haven't had any long stretches of bad flux. Any day now, though, if I am being honest with myself.

I had +16.5 live in that game. As you can imagine, USC's inability to get at least 3 in the final quarter was incredibly frustrating.

Brutal.

The blown coverage frustrated me. You basically have one player to stop and they don't even cover him as a threat on the fake bubble. Just hilarity to me. Make someone else beat you.

Strong has a tough decision to make. He fired one of his friends, Watson. He may have to do the same with Bedford. The defense is clueless and just out of place, doing the same stupid things it did 2 years ago.

Extremely odd with the recruits that we get that we cannot stop teams more effectively. Tired of being picked apart at this point. I would rather we just went super aggressive defensively. I think that would also benefit us second halves of these games when we are playing at this pace. If we got off the field faster but were more susceptible to the big play, we should tire the opponent better. But right now we just give away too much easy stuff and our opponents always take it.

There were some key plays where we got caught holding in the second half of that game which destroyed what looked like good drives. I miss some of our past FG kickers too. Don't mean to hate on the kid but we are leaving points out on the field.

Back