time to post my 2016-2017 bowl season so far

So the only td washington state could score on the minny third string secondary was when they went prevent defense.

I made the Washington State team total higher than the wake/temple game total.

So the only td washington state could score on the minny third string secondary was when they went prevent defense.

I made the Washington State team total higher than the wake/temple game total.
I fortunately laid off the last two games yesterday, some of these results are just unexplainable. How could both WST and Boise struggle offensively to the extent that they did is beyond me. I also for the life of me can't figure out why Monken chased the missed xpt for almost the entire game for Army and then finally kicked to go up by 10? The fumbled punt and subsequent NT TD really did the cover in, but the game should have never gone to OT in the first place if Monken makes the right call on the conversions in the first half.

As Mickey said to Rocky in Rocky III...the worst thing happened to you that could happen to any handicapper...you got civilized. You have more day to day responsibility, more money in the bank so the outcome of your bets don't mean as much to you financially (ego notwithstanding) and other priorities...such as the previously concluded election which you were quite passionate about (as much as cfb I would say) and spent a good deal of time posting in the GD over the summer. Shrug...that's my take anyway. You can get the edge back if you so choose.

Adds

usf 1h -6
usf southcock 1h under 31.5
1h arkansas over 30.5
1h arkansas 3.5
1h ok st col over 31
1h ok st 1.5

Pace numbers point over a total of this size. If it stays true to form, you are looking at somewhere in that 150 play area.
ok st 6.7 ypp
col 5.6 ypp

col 4.7 ypp allowed
ok st 6.0 ypp allowed

Game should be called the disappointment bowl as both teams have to hate being here.

Ok state been held under 30 three times all year .. the cmich shave game that backfired in their face, baylor despite having 492 yards, and their finale against Oklahoma where they just ran into a team playing as good as anyone in the sport right now. In each of those, they still hit twenties. So low end of production still leaves smallish windows to lose both endeavors if osu performs near to form. Moreover, the Big12 is performing well so far in the bowls and the conference might have a chip on their shoulders .. 1-0 vs SEC, 1-0 nonpower 5 powerhouse Boise State, and a loss with wvag just not being able to block miami defensive line. I worry a little if Sefo is more banged up than I think he is but in that instance the side would be better anyway. In any event, Okst comes into the game much healthier. Oklahoma State averages over 3 plays per game (42 11th best) where they go for 30 or more yards and gave up 32 plays of over 30 yards too. Meaning, there rate to be big plays in the game. I also feel like Okst is the more likely team to be game ready at kickoff emotionally which should allow them a faster start. If colorado holds okst to 10 or less first half so be it .. wouldn't be a total shock after Washington State couldn't score on Minny

Last edited:
i also like OSU and don't understand why they were dogged above 3 as I saw 3.5 for a while. Looks like I missed 3 now as I wanted to wait, but don't want to pay 20 cents for it

A word on UGA when you have a chance if you don't mind...not sure I see many advantages on the field, UGA better RB's is a clear edge, defenses about even, maybe slight edge to TCU at QB. Coaching edge, ST edge and SoS edge to TCU...is there an intangible I am missing?

A word on UGA when you have a chance if you don't mind...not sure I see many advantages on the field, UGA better RB's is a clear edge, defenses about even, maybe slight edge to TCU at QB. Coaching edge, ST edge and SoS edge to TCU...is there an intangible I am missing?

Agree to disagree on the relative strength of the defenses. I am basically taking the following angles ...

1. UGA better rushing attack
2. UGA better defense
3. UGA team most likely to improve from additional practices, particularly QB

I agree there is a significant coaching edge for TCU though

Have to agree on point 1; won't argue with you on point 3, it's speculative but I understand the logic; number 2...guess I need to look closer than I have. I didn't see that on first pass esp considering the offenses each defense had to face.

51 seems low for Mich/FSU , to me.
But I've gotten hammered last two days, not from alcohol.

Thoughts?
On UM/FSU total, not me sucking.

Good point on value of bowl practice in the Georgia/TCU game, Clowncar, and a factor most handicappers overlook.

Don't have an opinion on the game, but agree Georgia is logically the team that benefits most from extra practice.

Gun to your head who ya got in the playoff game sides? As a buckeye fan, glad to see you haven't pulled the trigger on Clemson yet. I think Clemson is an awful matchup for the Bucks and expected you to be all over it

Horses, Wise ... I finally had something correct, though one game does not mean a whole lot to make that conclusion. But for that game or match up, Georgia was the better defense. I also think the run game really wore TCU down. They don't get to see many power run teams in conference. Blind Squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Nice call on USF 1H side. Agree that was right way to play it. gL rest of way

Game went nothing like I capped it. I didn't think South Carolina would muster much offense. Bentley looked great and the USF secondary looked lost. They seemed to lose defensive intensity as the year wore on imo ...I just didn't think it would be that bad and I actually thought South Carolina would do better defensively than they did too of course. I thought 17-7 was a likely halftime score. Just not getting much right.

Good point on value of bowl practice in the Georgia/TCU game, Clowncar, and a factor most handicappers overlook.

Don't have an opinion on the game, but agree Georgia is logically the team that benefits most from extra practice.

It is pretty speculative but you can make some decent determinations too .. For instance .. who has peaked their potential, Western Michigan or Wisconsin? Seems pretty evident that Terrell is as good as he will ever be at this point. I think the Wisconsin QB can grow. I think Wisconsin is more likely to improve from the extra practices. Western gives people problem with scheme and tests talent depth against conference foes with their balance on offense. I think time to prepare hurts the scheme and they are going to see a talent difference here with Wisconsin compared to ANY team they played this year. They are going to have a hard time scoring.

Gun to your head who ya got in the playoff game sides? As a buckeye fan, glad to see you haven't pulled the trigger on Clemson yet. I think Clemson is an awful matchup for the Bucks and expected you to be all over it

I will, in fact, be on Clemson.

I just believe they are the better team right now. I think TOSU has the coaching edge, talent edge, and benefits most from extra practices (Though I think the Clemson defense has potential to benefit too) but I think the difference at QB comes into play in this game. Both teams can get the other on a given day I think .. probably pretty close to a coin flip so I will take the points in what should be a low scoring game.

And I am playing Washington either first half or game. I am thinking first half right now as the Bama modus operandi in these ooc games is to wear down the opponent and pull away late. And I think there is potential for the writing to be on the wall for Washington if they are outmatched that could lead to some head hanging. Expect Washington coach to pull out the stops to stay in the game. Just a really tough team to beat by three scores ... even if you are a great bama team. Also a bit concerned for Bama having watched MSU, Aggies, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Arkansas, and the vols. Particularly when the three teams in the west basically got outplayed by miami ohio, Kansas State and VT (guess VT is ok).

LSU v Ville

Thoughts?

I drinks whiskey real soon here....press calls me out

Got to

Two teams headed different directions in my opinion. Ville struggled with Clemson defensive line and Houston defensive line and doesn't seem to like the smack in the face style as much. I think LSU can do damage to their defense and I trust Ville to find points somehow with all those playmakers and a coach who likes offense. Ville lost focus and I just don't think that is a light switch to get back. Meanwhile I think there is decent motivation for LSU to validate the hire and have positive momentum heading into next year.

Well Done , CC. You called it correctly. UGA's defense stepped up when it had to. I didn't have a play on that game , but I was a UGA fan in that one.

Hope you bag em all today , Bud :cheers3:

The silver lining around the dark cloud of this bowl season was that the singular bets of conviction went well.

And I am playing Washington either first half or game. I am thinking first half right now as the Bama modus operandi in these ooc games is to wear down the opponent and pull away late. And I think there is potential for the writing to be on the wall for Washington if they are outmatched that could lead to some head hanging. Expect Washington coach to pull out the stops to stay in the game. Just a really tough team to beat by three scores ... even if you are a great bama team. Also a bit concerned for Bama having watched MSU, Aggies, Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Arkansas, and the vols. Particularly when the three teams in the west basically got outplayed by miami ohio, Kansas State and VT (guess VT is ok).

I've chosen not to bet against Alabama for personal reasons but most of my friends I've talked with about the game I've shared my belief that Washington jumps on Bama early and Bama talent and depth pull it away late. Those 15ish scripted plays we see from Washington to start the game I'm pretty sure they have some success. Bama is a terrible 1Q offense also. I bet Washington TT Over 2.5 1Q -115. If that bet doesn't win then the half or full game is a loser anyway so at least you get it out of the way early!

I've chosen not to bet against Alabama for personal reasons but most of my friends I've talked with about the game I've shared my belief that Washington jumps on Bama early and Bama talent and depth pull it away late. Those 15ish scripted plays we see from Washington to start the game I'm pretty sure they have some success. Bama is a terrible 1Q offense also. I bet Washington TT Over 2.5 1Q -115. If that bet doesn't win then the half or full game is a loser anyway so at least you get it out of the way early!

My guy slips at the one .. first and goal from the 1 to start 2nd qtr.

But I agree on most of what you say

It is pretty speculative but you can make some decent determinations too .. For instance .. who has peaked their potential, Western Michigan or Wisconsin? Seems pretty evident that Terrell is as good as he will ever be at this point. I think the Wisconsin QB can grow. I think Wisconsin is more likely to improve from the extra practices. Western gives people problem with scheme and tests talent depth against conference foes with their balance on offense. I think time to prepare hurts the scheme and they are going to see a talent difference here with Wisconsin compared to ANY team they played this year. They are going to have a hard time scoring.

I think that Wisconsin does have more quality depth and agree that relates to a challenge for WM compared to what they normally face, but I don't really think there is a huge difference in Wisconsin's starters and key contributors and Western Michigan's. To my knowledge, I see Wisconsin regularly recruiting against MAC teams for the same players. Badgers aren't going head-to-head with Ohio St for a WR for instance...chances are they are going head-to-head with Bowling Green for that player. Wisconsin develops 2 and 3 star athletes as good or perhaps better than anyone and WM is kind of doing the same under Fleck. Plus Fleck's recruiting classes have been ranked well. 247 sports WM 2014, 15 and 16 were all #1 MAC class (ranking about 70th nationally each year - about the same as Boise). Wisconsin does rank higher nationally (30-40th) which comes in middle of the pack Big Ten. The average WM recruit is a .80 and the average Wisconsin recruit is a .85 in those years.

I think the difference would show itself more if WM were to play a full Big Ten schedule than it may in a one-off bowl game.

Wisconsin D will be tough for WM, but I believe WM has the horses (or broncos) to make it competitive.

Thought Clemson defense made some strides between end of year and last nights game. Could be that they played one of the lesser offenses they have had to face all year. Certainly Troy's was better.

ADD

6 Pt Teaser Alabama -0.5/Wisconsin -1.5 (Basically have bad odds wong teaser)

It would be worth losing the teaser to see either Alabama lose or Western Michigan win. If Alabama were to lose and Western Michigan were to win, Western Michigan will be my national champion.

I guess I am the only guy in America who picked Oklahoma. I didn't dream of this going down from the -4 i took ..but ok .. but then through all those numbers? Auburn must be free money ... nice to have -4 go through that key number ..then through 3.5 to 3 ... then off the 3 to 2.5 and then mostly all 2 now. I don't get it unless you think the Auburn defensive line just dominates ... and if you think that then explain the upward move on the total.

I was wondering the same re the Aub total. If the total even approaches that number the game has to favor Oklahoma. I have +4.5, but thinking of buying Okl back at -130. Nice middle opportunity.

Pretty impressive performance by the penn state offense tonight. Hard to believe this is the same tram i watched against pitt and mich.

So psu, the conference champ looks pretty good against a team that would be what?, plus 4.5 neutral clemson? Western Within a score of wisconsin despite playing bad. Tosu ...well... I mean cannot judge just on what we have seen the last few days but i didnt see an outclassed team in wmich today and wiscy played with lsu and bigten just fine. Shrug

Pretty impressive performance by the penn state offense tonight. Hard to believe this is the same tram i watched against pitt and mich.

So psu, the conference champ looks pretty good against a team that would be what?, plus 4.5 neutral clemson? Western Within a score of wisconsin despite playing bad. Tosu ...well... I mean cannot judge just on what we have seen the last few days but i didnt see an outclassed team in wmich today and wiscy played with lsu and bigten just fine. Shrug

This would've been a terrible line...just like bama/sc to start the season was a terrible line.

And what would a bama/sc rematch have been lined at (prior to this rose bowl ass whipping)?...i guess it would've been the same exact line (-10 or so) as it was at the beginning of the year? And the outcome would've been the same.

After bama, SC returned to playing softy conference foes and everyone misinterpreted this into some sort of resurgence or whatever. SC doesn't fare well against physical teams who can run the ball.

My point is merely that the "TOSU is so clealry better than penn state that we are going to overlook that penn state won the conference ansd beat tosu head up" argument is a crock of pure, unadulterated bullsgit. And wmich proved thay can compete in these games even if they play bad

Back