Tigers vs. Astros Wild Card Discussion Thread

Skuuuuubaaaaaalllll
Terrific matchup tomorrow.

Tigers HAVE to work counts early on.

They were extremely impatient the first 5 innings of that TB series last week.

Obviously a must win -- then have two opps to advance.

There was talk of holding Scooby till game 2 but I guess they changed their mind.

Detroit has the most strikeouts, the fewest home runs and the second fewest hits of all 12 playoff teams since the All-Star break. I just don’t think they have enough offense to beat Houston. Obviously, way more playoff experience on Houston’s side as well.

Detroit has the most strikeouts, the fewest home runs and the second fewest hits of all 12 playoff teams since the All-Star break. I just don’t think they have enough offense to beat Houston. Obviously, way more playoff experience on Houston’s side as well.
Great info

I was really hoping they didn’t get Houston, I could have seen them beating o’s, Houston just got to much playoff experience and they don’t lose these series. Stating the obvious but tigers gotta win gm1 w Skubal to have any chance.

I know Yordan can smash lhp but still surprised they stacked him and Tucker, think I would have put bregs in between them.

They were just talking bout this on mlb network and I tend to agree with them that tigers making a mistake sitting Carpenter at the very least, if not him and Kieth. Dunno how bad their splits are vs lhp but I know Valdez one these guys with a bit a reverse split going on where lefties actually hit better than righties vs him. Think tigers doing him a favor sitting one their best hitters.

They were just talking bout this on mlb network and I tend to agree with them that tigers making a mistake sitting Carpenter at the very least, if not him and Kieth. Dunno how bad their splits are vs lhp but I know Valdez one these guys with a bit a reverse split going on where lefties actually hit better than righties vs him. Think tigers doing him a favor sitting one their best hitters.
I agree. Not a fan of this.

skubal outs listed at 18.5 tells me it should be very low scoring

He opened 17.5, I mean the fact he awesome would make me think it low scoring but they lined it that way. Im sure 17.5 got slammed, tigers gotta have him go at least 6, if that don’t happen this series over. I prefer his k’s to 18.5 outs, if he goes past 6 innings I’m pretty confident he fans at least 6.

I agree. Not a fan of this.
I like it far as for Framber out total, think he throws more pitches to get lefties out. Nit sure why tigers would do this tho? I guess just their typical routine and they sticking with it? The problem is Stros could start another lefty this series so you gonna leave one your best hitters out of 2 games? That crazy imo.

I’ve never been a fan of managers not letting their lefties face lhp, young guys in particular, how they gonna hit lhp if you never give them the chance? I guess if you have a great platoon situation like snakes did with grichuk and joc but for most part I’d leave my guys in against both sides.

I’ll say with these 2 they at least learned from last season when they kept giving us silly low out totals on lot of really good pitchers. For most part they kept these in line with regular season. I thought Framber was priced low (hence the play) but they kept him at 17.5 and didn’t drop him like last season where we were getting snakes best pitchers at like 15.5!!

Up until last season I thought Framber was a playoff stud. Wasn’t so much last year but he been really good lately and the matchup suits him here.

That's due to a few things. Injuries and lot of roster turnover in August.

Don't fuck with Detroit. The average fan will see tomorrow as a "bullpen day"....... Nah that's what AJ been doing for over a month.

I completely forgot Hinch was the sign stealing guru. Fitting he gets to cheat out his old team.

Hunter Brown sucks at home/day. WHIP is way too high.

But Tigers were a step short of an inning ending DP of scoring 0 runs all game. That 2nd was really all they had.

Spek made me think of a point though

I throw splits out the window when it comes to playoffs. Guy pitching in the day with maybe 20k casual fans in the stadium at any given regular season game compared to 42k or whatever humming when you get two strikes in the playoffs is really not something I'd ever think to compare. I guess if you're stuck with the creature of habit thing, do you but that's not a close comparison.

Don't fuck with Detroit. The average fan will see tomorrow as a "bullpen day"....... Nah that's what AJ been doing for over a month.

Framber was freaking terrible yesterday and as mentioned they only had the one inning they got any runs. I expected they win w Skubal, they had to imo, just don’t think they gonna get much off brown and think stros bats will get ahold of at least one these guys tigers bring in.

The problem is they pricing the thing in an area that doesn’t make Houston very appealing at all, it probably accurate just doesn’t make for a great play. Unlike the o’s who I think will probably press and continue chasing garbage pitches when they get guys on base Stros won’t be fazed by the situation as they been here many times. Brown’s 1st playoff start but he has pitched in plenty of postseason games in his young career, dude has went 6+ innings in 19 his last 22 starts. The only knock I see is oddly enough Stros have lost 6 straight home playoff games, that kinda weird!

Hunter Brown sucks at home/day. WHIP is way too high.

But Tigers were a step short of an inning ending DP of scoring 0 runs all game. That 2nd was really all they had.

I’m not very worried bout brown, I expect him to be good, more concerned with Stros offense, pen games can be tougher to score against than a traditional starter. more times than not in these openers it more about using x amount of pitchers and having them all at their best, if you can get that it a pain on the hitters never getting 2 at bats vs same guy. For whatever reason stros have hit better on the road than at home the last few playoff runs.

I’m not very worried bout brown, I expect him to be good, more concerned with Stros offense, pen games can be tougher to score against than a traditional starter. more times than not in these openers it more about using x amount of pitchers and having them all at their best, if you can get that it a pain on the hitters never getting 2 at bats vs same guy. For whatever reason stros have hit better on the road than at home the last few playoff runs.
Tigers have been Skubal starts and then pen games for maybe 6 weeks now lol

No one gets comfy against whatever they do. Got a clean slate since the HOU -1.5 games went down in flames so trying to look at this from a different angle. If I decide that I want to fade Houston today it won't be because of Brown and day splits lol. That means nothing to me.

Brown day/night home/away ain’t great that true, I do tend to lean @KJ line of thinking that less an issue in playoffs as you would think the focus would be different . He does have a good thing going, he faced tigers 2x this year, 12 innings, 1 run, 10 hits, 18k’s and no walks. Dominated them in Houston for 7 innings but that was in June, fair to say tigers been a much better team since then, I’m still not sure they hitting brown if he on tho?

Yeah in this spot you’d think any split wouldn’t matter. But he’s just such a bad day pitcher that it’s worth mentioning.

Last year he only pitched a few innings total post season. But the one in the day was atrocious.

Again, post season you can throw it out and he’s facing a dog shit offense.

Reactions: KJ
Brown day/night home/away ain’t great that true, I do tend to lean @KJ line of thinking that less an issue in playoffs as you would think the focus would be different . He does have a good thing going, he faced tigers 2x this year, 12 innings, 1 run, 10 hits, 18k’s and no walks. Dominated them in Houston for 7 innings but that was in June, fair to say tigers been a much better team since then, I’m still not sure they hitting brown if he on tho?

I like the recent head to head stuff way more than day splits!

Reactions: KJ
As a Yankee fan I would never want to see Cole on the bump in a warm day game in October at home! I’ll tell you that! Give me him at night in the cold and he will shut you down!

I really wanted to avoid his k prop but it's going to be hard to do

Still lots of time. Still awake. Still checking in at 93 degrees at 8:45 so delirium will be setting in at some point. This is where I miss narcos.

Tigers have been Skubal starts and then pen games for maybe 6 weeks now lol

No one gets comfy against whatever they do. Got a clean slate since the HOU -1.5 games went down in flames so trying to look at this from a different angle. If I decide that I want to fade Houston today it won't be because of Brown and day splits lol. That means nothing to me.

I’d play stros if they weren’t so fucking expensive. Strongly considering brown over 15.5 outs, that a crazy low number considering he has went 5.1 or more like 21 of last 22 or some shit! Maybe it different today but they sure didn’t have what I’d say was a quick hook with Framber yesterday, just how terrible his pitches looked I would have yanked him sooner than they did, somehow they almost got 5 innings out of him which is shocking if you were watching that lollipop curve he was throwing. I would have bet anything tigers would have scored a few more, that doesn’t speak real well for the offense imo. If brown actually has his good stuff he should cruise into 6th.

As a Yankee fan I would never want to see Cole on the bump in a warm day game in October at home! I’ll tell you that! Give me him at night in the cold and he will shut you down!
Yeah but Houston is hot and muggy all Summer, this is a reprieve at this point

I still think I'll tag a lower K prop with something else somewhere. Maybe a soccer bet. Only thing I like for a side is SD but already have them -1.5 for series so I don't want to tag them tonight. Maybe Royals I guess, O's on that 9 game bender in the post, hard to bet them today.

I’d play stros if they weren’t so fucking expensive. Strongly considering brown over 15.5 outs, that a crazy low number considering he has went 5.1 or more like 21 of last 22 or some shit! Maybe it different today but they sure didn’t have what I’d say was a quick hook with Framber yesterday, just how terrible his pitches looked I would have yanked him sooner than they did, somehow they almost got 5 innings out of him which is shocking if you were watching that lollipop curve he was throwing. I would have bet anything tigers would have scored a few more, that doesn’t speak real well for the offense imo. If brown actually has his good stuff he should cruise into 6th.
Quick hook is a massive concern when they're down 0-1, much moreso than yesterday

Only problem with the H2H is both games were pre asb, not that I think tigers offense has transformed into anything great they def taking better at bats than at time he faced them. Im still more worried bout the offense, -170s tough to lay when im not confident they can score 3+!!

w/o pricing and just looking at DK the three partners today in footy

Real Madrid -155
Bayern -140
Liverpool -650

Nice way to bring down the Astros price if you feel inclined. 3 powerhouses that are simply better than their competition today.

Back