Thursday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Will explain any games not here for those who ask. Will chop these up into "big bet, medium, or small".

Here's what I'm rollin with for Thursday night.

Trying Ball State laying the number in the opener. Last season in Pissalanti, they were thoroughly dominated but somehow rallied from 18 down to steal one in the waning moments. Hard to forget that 350-68 edge in yardage for the Eagles at the break, but they could not finish off the pesky Cards. The optimist in me sees Lynch back under center, with talented true Nate Davis as a healthy backup... a lineup with 18 starters back from a team that beat both MAC Championship game contenders... and a home game under the lights that should draw in excess of 20,000. Gonna take a stab at the Cards in this spot - though I would be remiss if I didn't mention a troublesome matchup - the Cardinal corners vs. Eric Deslauriers. If they bottle him up, the first-year Eastern QB will have trouble.

Prediction: Ball State 23, Eastern 14
The play: Ball State -4.5 for a small bet

I made Northwestern 6.5; it's was basically '3' everywhere when the market truly opened, now it's been pushed to '4'. Tough to lay points on the road with a new QB (Basanez was really a special talent) and the youngest HC in football. Good news is that Fitzy seems to know his shit and the players get along with him. It should be an emotional night, as Walker scheduled this game years back as a favor to Miami, where he used to coach in the 90s. One cannot discount the importance of Walker, and even though I think Sutton has his way in his return to his home state, I won't lay more than a field goal in this one. Pass for now.

I'm not a big Kent State fan like the rest of the so-called world (Steele and his followers haha) are... But I really dislike Minnesota this season. They lost the world, and especially at RB, they unbelieveably thin. Cupito is a decent quarterback but Kent's pass defense was one of the better ones in the MAC last season. They were really soft against the run and if this were Maroney and Marion Barber (or even Russell) then the Gophers would pile on chunks of yards and run Kent right out of Dix Stadium. I'm waiting on one thing: the QB decision for Martin. Will he go with that turd Machen, or the Juco-transfer Julian Edelman. My MAC guys are telling me that Edelman is a toned-down version of Joshua Cribbs, who was scary good. He threw for 1,312 yards and 14 TD's and ran for 1,253 yards and 17 TD's last year. Machen is an interception machine, will not advocate this play if he's named the starter. If Martin gives his team a chance to win with Edelman, I will back Kent and do it with a big bet, because I made the game 9.5. If I can take 16, I feel compelled to think Kent can hang in there and keep it between 8-15 points. Kent will be super-hyped, as this is Mason's return to campus and the first Big 10 team to ever visit Dix. More on this play when the QB is named.

Iowa State is a play for the same reasons given by some of our great handicappers earlier (Big Al, where ya at bro?) ... I made the 'Clones a 9.5 fave and Toledo's recent history in these spots points to an unmitigated disaster. 44-14 loser at Fresno last year; 63-21 loser at Minny, 63-14 loser at Kansas in 2004; 28-18 loser at Vegas and 34-7 loser at 'Cuse in '03.... In fact, the last seven non-con road games dating back to 2002 were all losing, and non-covering. The previous five of those (I listed above) were all with Gradkowski running the show; now they lose the three-year starter who broke school records for completions and passing yards. Iowa State returns Meyer, an electric QB, and like Al said, enough else to be competitive in the Big 12 North. Hammer this one.

Prediction: Iowa State 37, Toledo 17
The play: Iowa State -7.5 for a big bet

South Carolina seems to be getting a lot of attention but I'm not sure why. They have to travel to Starkville the week before the big Jorja game, and they're banged up in all the wrong places, particularly at receiver. SC is 2-7-1 in their last 11 season openers and 5-10 against the SEC West (ATS) since 2001. The 'dog' is 8-3 in this series and I expect a lot of cow bells on opening night, as the 'Dawgs use some of that momentum they built by hammering Ole Piss in the season finale last year and taking the Cocks to the gun. They might not win it but they sure don't need to be catching a touchdown at home. I made the game 2.5.

Prediction: South Carolina 16, Messy State 13
The play: Messy State plus 7 for a small bet. If it goes up to 7.5 at some point, I will make it a medium bet on value alone.

Missed the boat on Diego State. Would like to lay one there at most; I made them a 4.5 fave. I like the situation Long has stepped into, and there IS some talent there. Will go more into this game Tues or Weds...

GL everyone, let's start out strong this weekend...

:shake:

Alright, looking good.

Think S. Car. covers and already on NW -3. As you point out, good number and love the emotional angle on the game.

Just added ISU -7.5 as a coattail. Lots of good cappers on that one and don't disagree with the reasoning. Going to kick my ass if they only cover by 7 since I had the opportunity this weekend to hit that line and passed it up thinking it would go down more.

money;

Nice work rex. Took NW & ISU but might call it good there. Don't want to get outta hand on opening night.:drinking:

RJ: Yes, I hate getting hooked like that when it was lower myself. NEVER want to take the worst of the number.

IF ANY OF YOU GET ANYTHING OUT OF THIS THREAD.... GET THIS... IT'S WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY PLAYS....

Don't get caught taking the worst of the number. Always have multiple outs. A local, more than one offshore spot, whatever it takes but get yourself in position to get the best of the number, even if it's only a half-point.

I don't see it being a problem in Ames but I sure do hate taking the worst of it. It's why I hated to see all these early lines, because you guys and people like you were pounding the mistakes and for relatively cheap, these people can get the games in order. Northwestern is one. CRIS opened that a PICK. It was up to 3 within less than 24 hours. If they didn't open up so early, I could have pounced on that mistake. As it is, the market wasn't open enough for me to bet what I needed on Northwestern at less than 3, so I didn't get a bet. Now the number is gone and my dick is in my hand, waiting for it to miraculously come back.

Thanks Mugg, Boss, GL this week....

Boston College??
cc03.gif

made the game what it opened. I'm not as high on CMU as others are but look closely at what BC did two years back at Ball State in a Thursday night game.

They also have Clemson on deck in a huge ACC opener at Chestnut Hill and will show little. El Paso for me....

GL Denny; will be back in the morning, comments, thoughts all welcome...

I dont have your Dick bro or Id hand it back ! Nice write up my brother. U do this alot ? lol holla at your boy !!

Excellent analysis as always.

Great points on the previous OOC games for Toledo as of late. We'll give them a free pass for last year at Fresno due to QB injury but others were bad.

Prolly won't play but Messy St is the side IMO. Just a hunch there.

I feel the same way about Minnesota as well. Cupito won't be as prone to the dumb passes this year but he doesn't have the great backfield either.

GL, look forward to Saturday thoughts.

Iowa St scares me on defense. They're returning 3 starters I believe, and have a very young defense all together. I think they'll be solid eventually, but right off the bat they'll struggle.

Tranquil said:
Iowa St scares me on defense. They're returning 3 starters I believe, and have a very young defense all together. I think they'll be solid eventually, but right off the bat they'll struggle.

Tranquil, welcome to the forum, dude!
welcome.gif

dissapointed we will be against eachother in the UTEP/ SDSU game Rex...best of luck to you anyway...rest of the card looks good...

let's win that ball state game for your old alma.
likely no action on the others.
GL Rex

R,

Ya got a good play there on Ball State IMO.

It won't even be as close as you think.

Good luck to all of us at the Institution!

:shake:

BOL on thurs, Rex

Great writeups, buddy. I'll take a look at Testy St.
On Iowa St with you...opposite on Messy St. Regardless, let's start this off right:cheers:

Hey!!! It's DUCKMAN.... Right on, Van... that freakin' rocks... Guy brought me so much luck a couple of years back, ha ha...

Thanks, Sparky, G-Man, Yanks26, Vinnie, Bull, Pags, Vas, Denny, Tranquil, BAR, UTSUX, Troy, Sy...

:cheers:
GL to us tonight...

GL Rex - hope you have a great season. Kind of thinking that Miss St. game goes under as well.

Sorry I never got around to posting the play on SD State. The line is now 2.5 pretty much everywhere and I think it might go ahead and hit three, so I'll beat that to the punch.

As you guys can see in my unit rankings, I have San Diego State rated a little higher than most. Their D-Line is as good as its been in some time. Hamilton is a good RB and has good depth behind him. Their secondary boasts some of the best DB's in America and they have THE best secondary in the Mountain West.

SDSU has traditionally been talented, but underacheiving. Chuck Long is supposed to be a pretty good coach and should do a little better getting these guys to step up.

UTEP will be a good team in their league this season but I think they are a little out-talented here, and home field advantage ought to be worth a little bit, which is why I made this game higher.

Prediction: San Diego State 24, UTEP 16
The play: SDSU -2.5 for a small bet

Alright that just made SDSU a no play for me. Too many opinions all over the board. Conclusion: It's a coin flip.

Back