Thursday MLB Discussion

Derek Lowe has pitched 6 consecutive quality starts at home. During this stretch, he has tossed 41.4 innings giving up a mere 8 runs (1.74 ERA, 0.82 WHIP) with a 28:5 K/BB ratio.

<TABLE class=module borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=800 border=0 rgfloat="440,600"><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 28px" vAlign=bottom bgColor=#f6f6f6><TD noWrap colSpan=8><CITE>Z.Greinke & C.Lee must start for action</CITE></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 28px" vAlign=bottom bgColor=#f6f6f6><TD noWrap>Thu 8/21</TD><TD noWrap>2913 </TD><TD noWrap>KAN/CLE Score 1st Inn Yes</TD><TD noWrap></TD><TD noWrap><INPUT id=editx maxLength=5 size=4 name=M1_85> +150 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
this is tempting.. Greinke due for a blowup

<TABLE class=module borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=800 border=0 rgfloat="440,600"><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 28px" vAlign=bottom bgColor=#f6f6f6><TD noWrap colSpan=8><CITE>Z.Greinke & C.Lee must start for action</CITE></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 28px" vAlign=bottom bgColor=#f6f6f6><TD noWrap>Thu 8/21</TD><TD noWrap>2913 </TD><TD noWrap>KAN/CLE Score 1st Inn Yes</TD><TD noWrap></TD><TD noWrap><INPUT id=editx maxLength=5 size=4 name=M1_85> +150 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
this is tempting.. Greinke due for a blowup

Played it...

Was going to be an UNDER guy today but the lines certainly dont suggest it . So looking at more overs now and passing on the KC under for sure

under in anaheim makes sense. baker is usually solid through 5 and lackey is a stud. don't really want to risk laa's pen or baker after his second time through the lineup so first 5 is probably better than the full game.

Watch out for Lackey. He has been hanging the ball over the plate a little too much lately. Giving up a lot of home runs over his last 5 or so starts. Baker is solid and has some solid strike out material but the fifth inning is indeed where he usually struggles. I would probably avoid the angels until they show us that they can win games again with a consistent offense.

Prices are fuckin ridiculous. I'm only playing totals or ML parlays from now on if the juice is over 20cents. Dont want to take a nose dive before CFB starts.

this really is insane, i was all exited for some nice day game action but these lines are out of hand. i liked jj for the marlins but there is no way he deserves that sort of line.

odds are getting ridiculous

Especially when your using a local...

Some of the action is insane as well...

3 games bet up 50 cents another 35cents ...not sure bet up or adjusted up but FLA -150 open to -200?:36_11_6:

Today I said Fuck it and play the away teams for 1/2 unit ....at 3.25 to 1 its worth it IMO

It should be a pretty basic approach here . Look at the big spreads ONLY when you have good teams and good pitchers involved against bad teams. Never think teams give up realize they just dont have talent . Dont lay big prices with good pitchers on bad teams or medicore pitchers on good teams.....naturally look at the -1.5 RL most bad teams have bad pens as well....

:cheers:

Cubs -1.5 -170 .....jeez.....next game.....

well shit Dejesus with a fuckin good catch screws me outta a few bucks oh well.. cubs TT over next please

SportsNut, others:

Is it possible for the Cubbies to lose today? OK, stop...I know...anything is possible. Reds could come out stroking. But OK...back to reality...

CAN the Cubs lose today? I'm thinkin about saying F it and lay the chalk on the ML...

The chalk on the cubs game is totally not worth it as long as brandon phillips is playing. If zambrano gets mad and put some guys on base (which is pretty common) and phillips jacks it, you got trouble. Not worth it at all for -350, imo.

impossible unless the home plate umpire gets into zambrano's head like the one did in florida

cubs still won that game though so... impossible

josh fogg is bush league at best

Highly unlikely ...BUT

Zambrano concerns me . He was shelled vs STL which is fine he owned them for so long not suprising when the streak ended it was an "extreme" outcome and the wind was blowing out that day but then he followed it with a so-so outing vs Fla. This year he has been very good vs Cincy though but my concern is he 100% ? Also think it was 3 starts ago that he had a decent lead vs Pitt I believe and exited after 5 innings . Which also may be a tip off that something minor is his bothering him. Though Lou said nothing of the sort . More inportant is do you want to pay -400 when the SP goes 5 innings even with some of CHi power arms seems risky .

Fogg has been somewhat better on the road as well.....

Also Big Z has struggled some past 2 seasons in the day 11-9 in 21 starts witha 4.13 ERA last year and thanks to the STL start a 4.83 ERA this year .

The truth is CHI has rarely lost a home series or consecutive games at home .....

Maybe as hedge to Chi play the over for something ...though at 4 to 1 there is no worthwhile hedge ...

Aug 17 RHP Carlos Zambrano has been dropping his "arm slot" of late, and that always sounds the sirens and alarm bells that something is physically wrong with the Cubs' nominal ace. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild says there's nothing at all wrong with Zambrano that a little slowing down on the mound won't fix. According to both Rothschild and manager Lou Piniella, Zambrano has a tendency to rush his delivery, especially with men on base. That causes his arm slot to drop, and he loses command when that happens. Between starts, Rothschild will get Zambrano to work on slowing down and getting on top of the ball in hopes that will lead to quality pitches in the strike zone.

:shake:

I think bad teams tend to need to outpitch the better teams to win and doesnt happen because bad teams this year have so few good SP . So if you take that away and make it a slugfest while CUbs lineup has the upperhand its just something I would hate to pay for .....

Not sure if I get involved..

i think the worst thing about laying -350 if you lose is not the money lost, but knowing that you paid a embarrassingly ridiculous price and still lost.

Good stuff SN...stupid to even think about a 350 fav in bases.

RL it is

:shake:

98% of the time it is but I did lay -360 last nite for the Home Teams Runs ML..you just need the odds you develop to be clearer stronger then what is offerred. There is no margin for error att hese prices...Which is obvious to everyone but sometimes we just dont look at what the line reflects as much as we say that price is to high because its 200 something..

-300 is high but its not crazy outrageous when you think about the implied odds...

-300 is really just 75% ...think there are bunch of games taht get priced -300 and should be more like -450 in terms of odds of outcome occurring..

I dont believe in having rules about prices . With the Cubs looking to win another series if Big Z was 100% with no doubts and dealing then I could see myself playing but not with any lingering questions...

i think the worst thing about laying -350 if you lose is not the money lost, but knowing that you paid a embarrassingly ridiculous price and still lost.

Actually a very intelligent statement ...

I laid -360 for te Home teams and probably the easiset play I won in awhile...granted it was a small wager ..

AL: 51 to 26 (only 2 road teams won)
NL: 46 to 25 (")

Home teams 97 to Road teams 51 ....

I felt smart then I realized I paid -360 for that , it better be that easy !:36_11_6:

My local has Cincy +2.5 runs -110. I think I have to bite on that one.

Because you like the idea of getting a baseball team +2 runs Or because you feel the line is mispriced ?

The line is where it should be as typically from what I see its about a 60 cent spread from -1.5 to -2.5 so there is no value in that sense IMO.

Basically my point is this. If you felt it would be a close game with a very strong chance that it was decided by 2 runs or less then play it. If your doing it just because your getiing +2.5 at even money the play itself holds no value .......:cheers:

I agree with a majority of you that -350 is ridiculous in such an unpredictable sport as baseball. However, has anyone noticed that there has only been 1 CHC series @ home this year that has had 3 straight unders? (5-26-5-28 vs the pre-Manny Dodgers).

Dunno who's behind the plate today but see a muggy 75 degree day in Chicago. CHC could cover this in the 6th by themselves...

I agree with a majority of you that -350 is ridiculous in such an unpredictable sport as baseball. However, has anyone noticed that there has only been 1 CHC series @ home this year that has had 3 straight unders? (5-26-5-28 vs the pre-Manny Dodgers).

Dunno who's behind the plate today but see a muggy 75 degree day in Chicago. CHC could cover this in the 6th by themselves...
So you're saying the Cubbies might blow it open...right?

Because you like the idea of getting a baseball team +2 runs Or because you feel the line is mispriced ?

The line is where it should be as typically from what I see its about a 60 cent spread from -1.5 to -2.5 so there is no value in that sense IMO.

Basically my point is this. If you felt it would be a close game with a very strong chance that it was decided by 2 runs or less then play it. If your doing it just because your getiing +2.5 at even money the play itself holds no value .......:cheers:

I think stripping everything down to a very barebones analysis, a divisional game with the road team +2.5 (-110) has to have some value in my mind, but I definitely hear what you are saying - it will be a small play based more on principle. I will be overpaying for Florida today, so hopefully I don't feel like:hang:later this afternoon.

This is from S Insights:

<TABLE id=gridtable><TBODY><TR class=HeadOrange id=header><TD id=info_header width=40>Info
</TD><TD id=score_header width=50>Time
</TD><TD id=team_header width=135>Team
</TD><TD id=bets_header width=45># Bets
</TD><TD id=spreadpct_header width=40>Spread
</TD><TD id=mlpct_header width=40>ML
</TD><TD id=oupct_header width=40>OU
</TD><TD id=parlaypct_header width=40>Parlay
</TD><TD width=60>Pinnacle
</TD><TD class=linebox_header id=sbh2 onclick=HighlightColumn(this,2); width=60>Pinnacle
</TD><TD class=linebox_header id=sbh9 onclick=HighlightColumn(this,9); width=60>CRIS
</TD><TD class=linebox_header id=sbh3 onclick=HighlightColumn(this,3); width=60>Skybook
</TD><TD class=linebox_header id=sbh13 onclick=HighlightColumn(this,13); width=60>BetUS
</TD><TD class=linebox_header id=sbh17 onclick=HighlightColumn(this,17); width=60>WSEX
</TD></TR><TR id=e138530 ondblclick=highlightRow(this) style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD id=info style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" width=40>Info
</TD><TD id=score width=50>8/21
2:20P
</TD><TD id=team width=135>901 CIN - J Fogg
902 CUB - C Zambrano
</TD><TD id=bets width=45>14133
</TD><TD id=spreadpct style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66" width=40>32%
68%
</TD><TD id=mlpct style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66" width=40>20%
80%
</TD><TD id=oupct style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66" width=40>Upgrade
Today!
</TD><TD id=parlaypct style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66" width=40>Premium
Feature
</TD><TD class=linebox style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #faf39e" width=60>8.5u-110
-300/+270
</TD><TD class=open id=sb2 width=60>9o-116
-336/+306
</TD><TD class=open id=sb9 width=60>9o-125
-365/+305
</TD><TD class=open id=sb3 width=60>9o-125
-355/+285
</TD><TD class=open id=sb13 width=60>9o-125
-370/+300
</TD><TD class=open id=sb17 width=60>9o-120
-340/+310
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Recent Trends

<TABLE class=sdi-data-wide cellSpacing=1 bgColor=#999999><TBODY><TR><TD class=sdi-datahead-sub-nb vAlign=top width="29%">Cincinnati:</TD><TD class=sdi-datacell>
  • <LI class=cov_more><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>Under is 6-2 in CIN last 8 overall. <LI class=cov_more>Under is 6-2 in CIN last 8 on grass.
  • CIN are 8-20 in their last 28 games on grass.
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sdi-datahead-sub-nb vAlign=top width="29%">Chi. Cubs:</TD><TD class=sdi-datacell>
  • <LI class=cov_more><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>CHC are 45-15 in their last 60 home games. <LI class=cov_more>CHC are 19-7 in their last 26 games on grass.
  • CHC are 19-7 in their last 26 overall.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

feels like i took a broom stick up the ass with KC giving up 5. Thought i was Mr. sharp guy, getting the under at 7.5 even. Oh well.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind can take the under in CHC but after yesterday's abysmal offense, it makes it hard to take the over too. Any thoughts on this one, i avoided the over last night due to the reverse movement and suspect low total. CHC TT is a good idea but the value is sucked out of that one long ago..

Here 's a different approach to think about --

First lets not overly discuss this and give away something we can use to OUR advantage . If you really want to discuss it further PM me rather then keep bringing it up after this. Though its very straight forward and not a magic formula or system . A few quick questions are fine that let it stayed buried in here...and I am short on time at the moment...Just keep it in the back of your mind ...

It's not a secret its just more logic and commonsense IMO. My favorite tools .

Prices are crazy for these games thats OBVIOUS.

So when you really not into laying 280 and above do this .....

Look at the 1st Score of the game Props ....

Rather then lay -300 for the team you might get away with laying -140 for this prop...naturally in the low to mid 200s your not paying much say about -130 maybe even -120 at times...Its another option ....Since the road team hits first its clearly reduced because of that disadvantage..It doesnt have to happen in the 1st inn either I have won and even lost this prop after the 5th inning which can be annoying because you want a quick result but how many scoreless games do we see even in the 5th inning these days ? Its rare

Like anything else there has to be a reason why you would you play it . You just dont play it every big spread . Maybe the team is off a loss and good teams like to start fast , maybe the SP edge is huge and you know Brandon Webb can retire the order in the top 1st 1 , 2 , 3 and you have some #5 SP opposing him....Just do some research and make sure the SP doesnt struggle early as even with good SP there can be early inning woes. The old saying about great pitchers is get them early or you wont get them at all....Some guys have tendecies to allow early runs ..

So if your feeling stuck with no way to play these big games its another avenue to explore ...look for spots to play the HOME TEAM / HEAVY CHALK on the 1st Score of the game prop ....hopefully you pick wisely and nothing better then cashing a play in teh 1st or 2nd inning never having to worry about any other part of it......

If you have access to live betting also helps...if the road team scores 1st play obviously look to bet the home team but I have not really ever live bet or at least recently.....

Some people like FLA but wont pay -200 but you stuck paying -200 on the 1st score prop so thats not a better option . Well you also have the 1st inn SCORE Prop as well ..Yes or No ...clearly for this type situation would be interested in playing YES ....For example its around even money for this play @ SFG today . Two things would stand out for me to look at maybe playing it like this ....1st Palmer 1st home start could equal jitters and just being raw in general (though he is older rookie) having to face the top of the lineup 1-2-3-4 hitters could be a good chance someone gets on the board quickly. The other is SF has a thin lineup but if you have some combination of Lewis , Winn , Rowand , molina in the 1st few hitters then your getting the best SF has to offer ..Might not be enough to make a play on it your mind or my mind but again its a way to use other tools to make a PLAY on a game you may like but feel the price outweighs not only the risk but the reward since you may have to play it smaller thennormal....

If you can find an edge you have an option at +100 rather then -200...

Like the angle I often play when teams on the road rally from a defecit in the 9th inning and come up short , then I play them the next day if the opponent is the same to score 1st in the game.....perfect example was SD yesterday ...they rallied vs Zona the previous game from 7-3 lost 7-6 had teh closer pulled and everything so it was a legit scare and rally ( not just looking for RUNS scored in the 9th a clear RALLY)...they come out vs a good SP Danny Haren and put up 4 runs in teh T1st ...

Dont just give up on baseball because its getting hard ...as exciting as football is and will be like every new season there is a high rate of UNKNOWNS....130 games deep into a baseball season suprises are a few ....:shake:

I took the Cub TT over and over 9 at -112.

On paper, this should be an 8-3 type game. . . Not going to overthink this one

I think stripping everything down to a very barebones analysis, a divisional game with the road team +2.5 (-110) has to have some value in my mind, but I definitely hear what you are saying - it will be a small play based more on principle. I will be overpaying for Florida today, so hopefully I don't feel like:hang:later this afternoon.

Thats kool . I know I get mesmerized at times by things that look different ...As long as you have an angle thats fine...Wish I would stop and thin rather then react at times...

Wish ya Luck ! :cheers:

Big Z is 9-4 at home but has (3) 1 run wins ....so only 6-7 laying -1.5 and -2.5 runs ...

feels like i took a broom stick up the ass with KC giving up 5. Thought i was Mr. sharp guy, getting the under at 7.5 even. Oh well.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind can take the under in CHC but after yesterday's abysmal offense, it makes it hard to take the over too. Any thoughts on this one, i avoided the over last night due to the reverse movement and suspect low total. CHC TT is a good idea but the value is sucked out of that one long ago..

Always feels nice when I pass on a play that loses and with KC even hit the 1st 5 over ...really had no basis for the play other then being opposite of what looked obvious. Intended with the trends to play the UNDER but -130 for 7.5 in the AL is not much of an option....(also have KC +1.5 though )

I hit the Wrigley Under small yesterday and looking at the over today . We are gonna see some runs I believe at least from what I saw from the totals movements and perceptions early on...So looking at that over today....Big Z not in top form , Fogg opposing him , Cubs have some good day splits especially if Edmonds in ..

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl>G</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GS</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>W</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>L</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>CG</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SHO</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>IP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>H</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>R</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>ER</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>HR</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>BB</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>K</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>ERA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>WHIP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>BAA</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right><TD class=yspscores align=left height=16> Day</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>4</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>2</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>0</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>1</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>0</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>0</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>0</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>10.1</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>23</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>20</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>20</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>4</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>7</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>7</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>17.42</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>2.90</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>.442</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its limited but FOGG has been terrible inhis day apps..last year his ERA was lower but .303 BAA and 1.64 WHIP day splits , in 2006 the splits were the same GROSS but his Day ERA was a run higher in the 6s...

Looking at the over but damn Blankets being down always curtails my research:36_11_6::cheers:

de la rosa at LAD stadium. Great day splits. I lean heavy to the under at first glance, esp with lowe at home.

de la rosa at LAD stadium. Great day splits. I lean heavy to the under at first glance, esp with lowe at home.

DelaRosa
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>vs. LA-N</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>16.50</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>6.0</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>.429</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lowe has great home splits but poor day splits though I know he pitched almost all night games @ LAD this year.....

Most interested in LAD probably -1.5 here as I think this gets one sided...:cheers:

Here 's a different approach to think about --

First lets not overly discuss this and give away something we can use to OUR advantage . If you really want to discuss it further PM me rather then keep bringing it up after this. Though its very straight forward and not a magic formula or system . A few quick questions are fine that let it stayed buried in here...and I am short on time at the moment...Just keep it in the back of your mind ...

It's not a secret its just more logic and commonsense IMO. My favorite tools .

Prices are crazy for these games thats OBVIOUS.

So when you really not into laying 280 and above do this .....

Look at the 1st Score of the game Props ....

Rather then lay -300 for the team you might get away with laying -140 for this prop...naturally in the low to mid 200s your not paying much say about -130 maybe even -120 at times...Its another option ....Since the road team hits first its clearly reduced because of that disadvantage..It doesnt have to happen in the 1st inn either I have won and even lost this prop after the 5th inning which can be annoying because you want a quick result but how many scoreless games do we see even in the 5th inning these days ? Its rare

Like anything else there has to be a reason why you would you play it . You just dont play it every big spread . Maybe the team is off a loss and good teams like to start fast , maybe the SP edge is huge and you know Brandon Webb can retire the order in the top 1st 1 , 2 , 3 and you have some #5 SP opposing him....Just do some research and make sure the SP doesnt struggle early as even with good SP there can be early inning woes. The old saying about great pitchers is get them early or you wont get them at all....Some guys have tendecies to allow early runs ..

So if your feeling stuck with no way to play these big games its another avenue to explore ...look for spots to play the HOME TEAM / HEAVY CHALK on the 1st Score of the game prop ....hopefully you pick wisely and nothing better then cashing a play in teh 1st or 2nd inning never having to worry about any other part of it......

If you have access to live betting also helps...if the road team scores 1st play obviously look to bet the home team but I have not really ever live bet or at least recently.....

Some people like FLA but wont pay -200 but you stuck paying -200 on the 1st score prop so thats not a better option . Well you also have the 1st inn SCORE Prop as well ..Yes or No ...clearly for this type situation would be interested in playing YES ....For example its around even money for this play @ SFG today . Two things would stand out for me to look at maybe playing it like this ....1st Palmer 1st home start could equal jitters and just being raw in general (though he is older rookie) having to face the top of the lineup 1-2-3-4 hitters could be a good chance someone gets on the board quickly. The other is SF has a thin lineup but if you have some combination of Lewis , Winn , Rowand , molina in the 1st few hitters then your getting the best SF has to offer ..Might not be enough to make a play on it your mind or my mind but again its a way to use other tools to make a PLAY on a game you may like but feel the price outweighs not only the risk but the reward since you may have to play it smaller thennormal....

If you can find an edge you have an option at +100 rather then -200...

Like the angle I often play when teams on the road rally from a defecit in the 9th inning and come up short , then I play them the next day if the opponent is the same to score 1st in the game.....perfect example was SD yesterday ...they rallied vs Zona the previous game from 7-3 lost 7-6 had teh closer pulled and everything so it was a legit scare and rally ( not just looking for RUNS scored in the 9th a clear RALLY)...they come out vs a good SP Danny Haren and put up 4 runs in teh T1st ...

Dont just give up on baseball because its getting hard ...as exciting as football is and will be like every new season there is a high rate of UNKNOWNS....130 games deep into a baseball season suprises are a few ....:shake:

Good information. Thanks :shake:

With the lopsided game everyone is predicting, why not over 9 -114? It seems that everyone expects Chicago to embarass Fogg, and the only concern for Cubs backers is Zambrano. Chicago will probably win this, so if Z gets in trouble, it will be up to the Cubs bats to win the game. If Z does not get in trouble, the Cubs bats are still swinging at Fogg so they very well could send this total of 9 over themselves.

On the flip side, if Chicago goes up 4-0 early and Z is shutting down Cincy, will Chicago bat with any enthusiasm during the middle or late innings? We could see a 6-1 game.

Just a thought

Its like the gambling gods are telling me to move to FB season.. I don't play ML over -150, I don't play RLs, I don't play long shot dogs over +150 (very often).. One game to choose from today:hang:Yesterday sucked also.

Anyway. just wanted to vent. No plays for me today.:whip:

Back