The 'Stons Journey Back to the Postseason...

Tip made my point.

Teams thrown together with vets is different. Detroit will never have that. They are a team that builds. Always has been and always will be.

Jordan was the best player in the league, the Bulls didn't win because they lost in previous years, they won because they had the best player who continued to get better as his career went on.

This is where you lose all credibility...

Your 100% incorrect here.

Specifically talking about the NBA and your comments that the teams thrown together don't really count because it doesn't happen often...of course it counts, that is seemingly how the past 15 years worth of NBA champions were built. When is the last time a team won that didn't have a few superstars on their team? The Warriors didn't put it together like the others, but they still have those players which is why they won.

And that team was BUILT from the ground up through trades and draftpicks.

Also, on the Bills, they were bumping into NFC greats with a ton of ... you guessed it ... playoff experience. Giants, Skins, Cowboys twice. (Think that's right? Or were the Niners in there somewhere?). Just because one of the teams with playoff experience loses doesn't discount that the other one with playoff experience wins. Kind of cancels out, right?

I knew if Lar and I got in here on the Pistons playoff march that discussion would turn to '80's NFL.

Surprised this is even close

Making the 8 seed on the downturn of a cycle is one thing.

But on the upturn or the beginning like the Pistons are is a huge team builder and the young guys learn a lot of lessons

Just even a few years back that dubs/spurs series before steph was steph.

That's worth much more than the 2% or whatever shot st the lotto

This is where you lose all credibility...

Your 100% incorrect here.

How do I lose credibility for something you can't prove? Who says they won because they lost in the previous years?

And I like this discussion and I'm certainly not trying to be combative at all, that question may have seemed that way. It's a good topic to discuss. (and when you get some proof, any proof, I'll agree with you :tiphat:)

And that team was BUILT from the ground up through trades and draftpicks.

So over a decade ago, and one example that may or may not even be an example? No one is arguing teams can't be built and gain chemistry, grow and get better together and win. That's how it's done sometimes for sure...that does NOT logically follow that they won because they lost a playoff series a year or two previously. Could it be they just became a better team and got better?

And speaking of 2004, that's the Pistons with Rasheed, Chauncey and the crew (Rip Hamilton, NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace)? That may be 2 hall of famers we're talking about, so let's not act like they won with scrubs and only did so because they lost in the playoffs prevously. It makes a great story, and it's cool to say, but that's about it. Didn't that series have a missed shot by Kobe or a comeback or something by Detroit to win the series? If Kobe's shot falls and the Pistons lose, what would the "playoff experience" been touted as?

Last edited by a moderator:

But on the upturn or the beginning like the Pistons are is a huge team builder and the young guys learn a lot of lessons

Steph got better and better, they added Thompson and Green. Then they won. Funny how that worked...they got better players, their players got better, and they won.

Teams can be "built" and get just as many lessons during the regular season. Many of these teams that sneak in get swept...what lesson is learned in that? That they need to get better and play better the next year, or maybe get a better draw?

Also, on the Bills, they were bumping into NFC greats with a ton of ... you guessed it ... playoff experience. Giants, Skins, Cowboys twice. (Think that's right? Or were the Niners in there somewhere?). Just because one of the teams with playoff experience loses doesn't discount that the other one with playoff experience wins. Kind of cancels out, right?

I knew if Lar and I got in here on the Pistons playoff march that discussion would turn to '80's NFL.

Well that is kind of the point though...if playoff experience is so valuable and leads to winning, what do we say when the team with that "experience" loses? They just need more experience losing in the playoffs and will eventually win? By that time, the team won't even look the same and that "experience" has left the team.

Lar is asking us to prove something that can't be proven. Like God. At least he's consistent.

Lar, in your every day life, are you more at ease in challenging situations if you are familiar with them? Don't you think the NBA game looks a little different in the playoffs?

I agree, talent prevails, and some athletes are just born with poise. But if you have a couple teams playing a team game for high stakes, and you rate them equally talented, and one has been there and one hasn't, and you have your choice at even money (talk about a ridiculous string of hypotheticals to milk a response), who gets your money and why? You must bet and win, or you will be shot dead, last hypothetical.

Lar is asking us to prove something that can't be proven. Like God. At least he's consistent.

Lar, in your every day life, are you more at ease in challenging situations if you are familiar with them? Don't you think the NBA game looks a little different in the playoffs?

I agree, talent prevails, and some athletes are just born with poise. But if you have a couple teams playing a team game for high stakes, and you rate them equally talented, and one has been there and one hasn't, and you have your choice at even money (talk about a ridiculous string of hypotheticals to milk a response), who gets your money and why? You must bet and win, or you will be shot dead, last hypothetical.

Good question. I wouldn't base my bet on their playoff experience, I can say that for certain. I'd probably go with the team with the fiercer mascot.

I know, crazy me asking for proof of things. What a crazy idea. Lol. If people want to tout something as a fact and are certain it "exists" it should be fairly easy to show some type of proof. If we're using the NBA, we are going to have to go back decades to find a team that won because of playoff experience it seems.

How do I lose credibility for something you can't prove? Who says they won because they lost in the previous years?

And I like this discussion and I'm certainly not trying to be combative at all, that question may have seemed that way. It's a good topic to discuss. (and when you get some proof, any proof, I'll agree with you :tiphat:)

1986 Bulls lost to Celtics 1st round(Jordan missed most of season)
1987 Bulls lost to Celtics again
1988 Bulls lost to Pistons in 2nd round 4-1
1989 Bulls lost to Pistons in Conference Finals 4-2
1990 Bulls lost to Pistons in Conference Finals 4-3

1991 Bulls beat Pistons 4-0 to advance to Finals for 1st time.

You say they won because Jordan was best player. That is completely untrue. They had a young nucleus with Grant and Pippen that had to grow-up, as did Jordan. He was selfish as can be and had to learn to use his teammates to win.

Like anybody that knows basketball understands this...

There are many teams that have went through these progressions...

So over a decade ago, and one example that may or may not even be an example? No one is arguing teams can't be built and gain chemistry, grow and get better together and win. That's how it's done sometimes for sure...that does NOT logically follow that they won because they lost a playoff series a year or two previously. Could it be they just became a better team and got better?

And speaking of 2004, that's the Pistons with Rasheed, Chauncey and the crew (Rip Hamilton, NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace)? That may be 2 hall of famers we're talking about, so let's not act like they won with scrubs and only did so because they lost in the playoffs prevously. It makes a great story, and it's cool to say, but that's about it. Didn't that series have a missed shot by Kobe or a comeback or something by Detroit to win the series? If Kobe's shot falls and the Pistons lose, what would the "playoff experience" been touted as?

Earlier in thread you said something about over 2 decades, hence why I said that.

Yes, there could be HOF players but there was no 'SUPERSTAR' on that team. That is a term that gets overused. A bunch of all-star players but not an ALL-NBA performer.

1986 Bulls lost to Celtics 1st round(Jordan missed most of season)
1987 Bulls lost to Celtics again
1988 Bulls lost to Pistons in 2nd round 4-1
1989 Bulls lost to Pistons in Conference Finals 4-2
1990 Bulls lost to Pistons in Conference Finals 4-3

1991 Bulls beat Pistons 4-0 to advance to Finals for 1st time.

You say they won because Jordan was best player. That is completely untrue. They had a young nucleus with Grant and Pippen that had to grow-up, as did Jordan. He was selfish as can be and had to learn to use his teammates to win.

Like anybody that knows basketball understands this...

There are many teams that have went through these progressions...

Again, we've gone back to the 80s for an example. And unless we can go back in time and those teams don't make the playoffs at all, we have no way to say for certain they won only because they lost in the playoffs previously. It's a self fulfilling prophecy for you guys on this topic.

Earlier in thread you said something about over 2 decades, hence why I said that.

Yes, there could be HOF players but there was no 'SUPERSTAR' on that team. That is a term that gets overused. A bunch of all-star players but not an ALL-NBA performer.

Okay, I'll give it to you. So one example in the past 2 decades. The point still remains the same.

Again, we've gone back to the 80s for an example. And unless we can go back in time and those teams don't make the playoffs at all, we have no way to say for certain they won only because they lost in the playoffs previously. It's a self fulfilling prophecy for you guys on this topic.

Mid 2000's Stons built there way up.

In a way the Mavs did as well.

Even the Heat in '06, they just added a key piece the year before in Shaq but they still had to lose to Detroit to beat them the next year.

Lar, a team of five young Steph Curries against a team of five mini-Ditkas. The Curries are having legendary seasons but have never won a playoff game. The mini-Ditkas have won at every thing they've ever tried, including last year's NBA title despite having never played basketball before, and being mini. Who's your champion?

Mid 2000's Stons built there way up.

In a way the Mavs did as well.

Even the Heat in '06, they just added a key piece the year before in Shaq but they still had to lose to Detroit to beat them the next year.

The point is they didn't HAVE to lose to win, they just happen to lose and then win. Self fulfilling prophecy bub.

Lar, a team of five young Steph Curries against a team of five mini-Ditkas. The Curries are having legendary seasons but have never won a playoff game. The mini-Ditkas have won at every thing they've ever tried, including last year's NBA title despite having never played basketball before, and being mini. Who's your champion?

The Ditkas? Is that the answer you're looking for?

Its funny how you've switched from playoff experience doesn't matter to now it does though. Good grief with this place sometimes. Can't have a good discussion about much without people getting either butt hurt or just changing opinions like their boxers. (Here's where you crack wise and say you don't wear boxers, or something to that effect)

Pistons have basically got their 'team' for the next few seasons, so in this instance making the playoffs is extremely valuable going forward.

The way they are built they could give the Cavs an actual series. Will be fun to watch (and bet).

As far as this 2016 Detroit team, these posts pretty much end the discussion though.

I realize this example was for dramatic effect, but situations like this don't happen in sports. How do we quantify how individual playoff experience counts for a team? If they have 3 guys with experience from another team, does that help, or do they need to gain their experience as a team for it to matter?

As far as this 2016 Detroit team, these posts pretty much end the discussion though.

Maybe they'll be the outlier and won't have any change in the roster for a few years. If they don't, and they lose let's say the next 3 years in the playoffs, then 2 or 3 key pieces leave...what happens then? Does that experience gained by their remaining players carry over and help, or is the fact they lost key pieces mean their experience is pretty much meaningless at that point?

Unlike the God thing, where we have to just say faith (unless you're red), SO, so many sports champions lose a time or two in the playoffs before winning a championship. It's self-fulfilling because it has so many examples. It seems to be just as linked as improving the personnel. One that doesn't need quantifiable evidence might surmise the two go hand in hand.

Playoff experience is completely over rated and mythical. We've had this convo before, and it's an interesting one. Show some type of proof that playoff experience means anything at all. If the proof can't be shown, it's just a myth that losing teams and fans like to throw around like a catch phrase.

Gonna go back to your first post.

Show me a NBA team, from whenever, with a roster with a bunch of guys that have never been in the playoffs that has advanced to Finals or even Conference Finals.

No research from me yet, I'll let you do it since you think experience is not important.

I'll check back after we get home from dinner.

Maybe they'll be the outlier and won't have any change in the roster for a few years. If they don't, and they lose let's say the next 3 years in the playoffs, then 2 or 3 key pieces leave...what happens then? Does that experience gained by their remaining players carry over and help, or is the fact they lost key pieces mean their experience is pretty much meaningless at that point?

This place doesn't attract free agents, hence they build. I want Jackson and Drummond to get playoff experience. And whoever else is left in 2-3 years as well. Then you plug in pieces.

Gonna go back to your first post.

Show me a NBA team, from whenever, with a roster with a bunch of guys that have never been in the playoffs that has advances to Finals or even Conference Finals.

No research from me yet, I'll let you do it since you think experience is not important.

I'll check back after we get home from dinner.

I think it'll be hard enough to just find a team with no playoff experience on the roster at all. Half of the league makes the playoffs each year.

I realize this example was for dramatic effect, but situations like this don't happen in sports. How do we quantify how individual playoff experience counts for a team? If they have 3 guys with experience from another team, does that help, or do they need to gain their experience as a team for it to matter?

You are Captain Literal to hotel.com's Captain Obvious. It was for comic effect, that's all.

This place doesn't attract free agents, hence they build. I want Jackson and Drummond to get playoff experience. And whoever else is left in 2-3 years as well. Then you plug in pieces.

But if those pieces you're plugging in don't have playoff experience, does that set them back? And what if it's the pieces themselves and how they fit that helped them win?

I think it'll be hard enough to just find a team with no playoff experience on the roster at all. Half of the league makes the playoffs each year.

Well, go with the core players or at least best 3 or so.

You said it doesn't matter to have experience, so show me.

You are Captain Literal to hotel.com's Captain Obvious. It was for comic effect, that's all.

Wait, I admitted it was for effect, I wasn't being literal at all. And this comment after BAR just actually did go "literal" on me with the 2 decades comment? Good grief again.

But if those pieces you're plugging in don't have playoff experience, does that set them back? And what if it's the pieces themselves and how they fit that helped them win?

We can talk about that later. First find an answer to my question above or otherwise you basically have no point in this thread

#ExperienceDoesntMatter

Show us, PROOF.

We can talk about that later. First find an answer to my question above or otherwise you basically have no point in this thread

#ExperienceDoesntMatter

Show us, PROOF.

I will certainly do my best, but again, half of the league makes the playoffs each year. It's pretty hard to play in the league for 5 years and not have made the playoffs.

You our guys are also asserting that experience matters, it's on you to provide the proof. You can't prove a negative, come on now, this is basic logic.

I feel like the same people who are arguing for experience of getting swept in the first round are the same people who argue that momentum is a thing

By the way, the 2004 Pistons had the 3rd least playoff experience of any champion in NBA history.

I will certainly do my best, but again, half of the league makes the playoffs each year. It's pretty hard to play in the league for 5 years and not have made the playoffs.

You our guys are also asserting that experience matters, it's on you to provide the proof. You can't prove a negative, come on now, this is basic logic.

Now you're being ridiculous. How can anyone provide scientific proof about how playoff experience "matters".

Prove to me that World War II mattered.

And the #1 team with the least amount of playoff experience to win a title....the 2003 SA Spurs.

I get what tips saying, and its difficult to play the experience vs draft pick game, but many studies have been done on similar phenomena like "momentum" and "clutch", only to disprove them as not real. I think playoff experience is in the same boat, although I have no proof of it , that's how I feel.

By the way, the 2004 Pistons had the 3rd least playoff experience of any champion in NBA history.

The 2008 Celtics had the 2nd least amount of playoff experience.

And the #1 team with the least amount of playoff experience to win a title....the 2003 SA Spurs.

Here you are twisting again.

First, give me sources there.

Second, I asked for a team, like Detroit this year, with there top 2-3 players with little to no experience(Rjax a bit with OKC) going to the finals.

That is what I asked. You twisted it.

Very curious about this since Robinson was in league since '89 and Duncan since '97 and they ALREADY won a championship together.

Now you're being ridiculous. How can anyone provide scientific proof about how playoff experience "matters".

Prove to me that World War II mattered.

How would anyone be able to prove it doesn't matter?

Besides pointing to to the examples of the teams with the least experience who have won titles, or point to the super trams thrown together, or point to the teams with the most talent that usually win that is.

Im pretty sure this is a chicken or the egg scenario that is getting way too intense

Larry likes to argue, it is his mantra, we all know it. It is what it is. I just want to see facts.

I do disagree with you though, this 'Stons team would do well to get into a series with the Cavs and get that experience. Playoff basketball is so different.

I think the solve here is taking a team with young guys like BAR described that did very well in the reg season that didn't live up to their playoff hype/expectations. I don't want to run that exercise but would be interested if someone else did.

I guess the best part of this thread is we have a relavant 'Stons thread for first time in 8 year, lol.

Back