The St Louis Rams Draft Thread.

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
This thread should interest about 3 people but hey, I get to air out my thoughts regarding our #2 and 13 picks. Let's see how close or far I am to what actually happens. Also, let's see how much my picks change as we get closer.

There's a 80% chance I'll be attending Day 1 in May. I'm hoping to catch the Yankees the weekend before.

Current Wants
# 2 Pick- Clowney. I know a lot of people question his character. I think it's a little harsh. 2 speeding tickets isn't a big deal. More importantly there's question regarding his effort. I watched a lot of film on this guy this past season. It's clear to me he had a bad foot. Almost to the point he shouldn't have been out there. He's clearly favoring his foot when chasing plays.
Bottom Line. We already have Quinn going off on one side that changed the whole complextion of this defense. Clowney can rotate with the overrated Chrissy Long or go 3 man pass rush. This pick makes our DBs much better which is a weakness.

#13 Trade Down unless someone like OT Robinson falls. There's a scenario where they could trade down twice and still land a top OG Yankey or Richardson from Baylor.

This team needs to take a blue chipper with the # 2 pick and use their own #13 to land more picks. There seems to be a fascination with stretching out the RG3 trade. Nonsense! We can use the 13th pick to indirectly stretch it. I take Clowney and land 2 Olineman and a DB with the next 3 picks. This gets rid of the Oline problems if Safford signs regardless of Jake Longs recovery. We need a starting DB to pair with Jenkins.

104 days until we find out!

Last edited:
Everyone wants football bro. Use that leverage. Be insane not to. Sheep don't need rushers. They need back end defense.

Clowney? Nah, not happening. You don't draft strength to compliment strength, as awesome as it would be

Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't see Chris Long as a strength on the other side of Quinn. 5 years in the league as a #2 overall pick and Chrissy hasn't sniffed the Pro Bowl. His injuries are mounting. Fisher loves guys like Clowney. If he's there I really think he takes him.
Tee, there isn't anyone worthy of a #2 to take at the DB position. I think the backend of the defense improves immensely with Clowney. They're gaining some experience with Jenkins and Johnson although I think Johnson will turn into a safety. It's the #13 pick where a trade down could land them an Olineman and DB. The #2 pick is an opportunity to take a blue chipper which is what the Rams need. They need more big time players on this roster. The depth is getting there.

Agreed. When they hit on a new QB, this franchise will turn around immediately. Bradford doesn't have the brains to beat defenses. He has to have everything aligned for him to win anything big. Unfortunately he's such a big hit to the cap for this upcoming season and next ($17-$15 mill) that they have to commit to him. I would like to see Fales drafted to groom.

Yea, they can't simply cut him. I highly doubt they go QB with their first pick, but I'd bet almost anything they take what they believe to be the last decent QB in the draft with whatever pick they have at that moment. Someone will be pushing Bradford for QB1 over the summer.

What are your thoughts on Tavon Austin? I know it was only year #1, but he sorta blew. I know Bradford plays a role in that, but what do you think overall?

They misused Tavon. They were getting him the ball going east and west. It seemed like Schottie was getting him the ball anyway possible and the easiest way was to give it to him quick and let him create. Bad idea. Tavon is legit. I'm not sure why they didn't use him like they did with Amendola or how Welker is used. Hit Tavon in stride and he's a home run hitter. The guy that will emerge next season is Stedman Bailey. Brady or Manning would turn these guys into Duper and Clayton.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't see Chris Long as a strength on the other side of Quinn. 5 years in the league as a #2 overall pick and Chrissy hasn't sniffed the Pro Bowl. His injuries are mounting. Fisher loves guys like Clowney. If he's there I really think he takes him.
Tee, there isn't anyone worthy of a #2 to take at the DB position. I think the backend of the defense improves immensely with Clowney. They're gaining some experience with Jenkins and Johnson although I think Johnson will turn into a safety. It's the #13 pick where a trade down could land them an Olineman and DB. The #2 pick is an opportunity to take a blue chipper which is what the Rams need. They need more big time players on this roster. The depth is getting there.

That's why they need to trade out Wise IMO.. Rams cant afford the cap hit if they draft #2 unless its a QB, and you and me both know that aint gonna happen.. Id like it to happen, like you, but when they paid fraud all that money, they basically screwed their cap ability if fraud didn't work out, which he hasn't.. I count at least 4 teams that want to get football so the #2 spot is very sellable.... I say, sell it to highest bidder... No way would I pay Clowney #2 slot money... wouldn't mind him I guess, but not at that price.. too many Lenard Little-like question marks

They misused Tavon. They were getting him the ball going east and west. It seemed like Schottie was getting him the ball anyway possible and the easiest way was to give it to him quick and let him create. Bad idea. Tavon is legit. I'm not sure why they didn't use him like they did with Amendola or how Welker is used. Hit Tavon in stride and he's a home run hitter. The guy that will emerge next season is Stedman Bailey. Brady or Manning would turn these guys into Duper and Clayton.

Ya , little fast guy.. the little 4.3 guys go to 4.4 at about age 25 or age 26 maybe 27 history shows.. and there are a 100 guys like that in the arena league. So he is very handy now but I fear rams will waste his prime. If he had an elite defense on his side, in the punt return game he is absolutely amazing... Again, rams likely will waste that talent as well..

@ESPNNFL: THIS JUST IN: The Rams plan to hire Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator replacing Tim Walton.

(via @MortReport)

@ESPNNFL: THIS JUST IN: The Rams plan to hire Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator replacing Tim Walton.

(via @MortReport)

i love this pick up of Williams. The mentality is changing quickly. This team has gone from no talent wimps to a bigger more physical style. I would really love to see Clowney come here and make this defensive line the best in the NFL. Take the 13th pick and trade down. Collect an extra 2nd. Take the best Olineman with the 1st rounder and then my preference in 2nd round is a safety and the best offensive player available regardless of position. Would love to see QB Fales drafted.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...r-stan-kroenke-buys-60-acres-land-los-angeles

ST. LOUIS -- According to reports in the Los Angeles Times and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, by way of an affiliated holding company, recently purchased a 60-acre tract of land in Inglewood, Calif.[h=4]More From ESPN.com[/h]
markazi_arash_m.jpg
Stan Kroenke's land buy could be the start of something big or another chapter in the seemingly never-ending story of nothing at all when it comes to the NFL in L.A., Arash Markazi writes. Story

ESPN Los Angeles

The reports indicate that the land is located between the Forum and Hollywood Park and could serve as a possible spot for development of a new NFL stadium according to the Times' sources.
Kroenke has made much of his fortune by way of land development and has long owned large amounts of land in California and elsewhere. Whether this move is simply adding to his land or being used for other means related to his football team remains to be seen.
What is known is that a clause in the Rams' lease at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis is set to kick in at the end of the 2014 season. So long as the stadium hasn't been upgraded to one of the eight best venues in the NFL before that time, the Rams' lease will then become a year-to-year proposition beginning in 2015.
Discussions about how to bring the current stadium up to that standard have been ongoing for the past couple of years but no resolution was reached.
In 2012, the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission proposed a $124 million upgrade to help the Edward Jones Dome reach the "first tier" standard.
[+] Enlarge<cite style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block; color: rgb(171, 171, 171);">AP Photo/Tom Gannam</cite>Rams owner Stan Kroenke has bought a 60-acre tract of land that could serve as a possible stadium site in L.A., according to the Los Angeles Times.

The Rams countered with a more elaborate proposal which was estimated to cost somewhere in the range of $700 million.
In February of last year, an arbitrator heard both proposals and ruled in favor of the Rams. Soon after, the commission made it clear it does not intend to follow through with the plan, meaning the lease will almost certainly expire after next season.
Los Angeles has been without a professional football franchise since the Rams and Raiders departed for St. Louis and Oakland, respectively, in 1995.
Following those departures, Los Angeles has often been bandied about as a possible relocation site for a number of franchises but in each case, the city has been used as leverage more than anything.
For any team looking to move to Los Angeles or any other city, there would still be substantial hurdles to clear including the blessing of the NFL. The league currently has a strict and expensive set of guidelines for a team to meet before relocation would even be put to a vote before the league's 32 owners.
Kroenke has not publicly discussed the stadium situation.

Thanks orange. I saw this earlier in the St Louis Dispatch. Why else would he purchase 60 acres in LA? This would be awesome for old LA Rams fans of the 70's like myself! The franchise is turning around and maybe they can start creating excitement again for Los Angeles.

It's 80 days until round 1 of the draft. I don't see anyone getting too excited to trade up in front of the Rams unless it's for Clowney. I have no feel for what's going to happen with the first overall pick.
I will say this about the 2nd pick. I see mocks thinking the Rams are going OT. Fisher doesn't have a history of drafting Olineman in the 1st round. There's a lot of talk about Matthews and Watkins. I don't think Matthews is the best OT in the draft.
As of Feb 16th Wish List is narrowed down to 2 guys with the #2 pick.
1.Clowney-I can't see how we pass o a talent like this. I've watched tape on Greg Robinson. He looks like an instant Pro Bowler to me and would be my 2nd choice. Watkins was my last choice. He's one of the top 5 players in the draft but we already have a player built in the same mold in Givens. The only scenario I see the Rams taking Watkins is in a trade down with Cleveland, Oakland or Atlanta. Not likely in my opinion
1b. OG David Yankey is who I like if we take Clowney. If we take Robinson, I like Mike Evans. Give us that 6'5" beast who can go along with the other weapons and I think we're done looking for our #1 WR. People are big on Ha Ha, not me.

1. Clowney
1b. Yankey

1. Robinson
1b. Evans

1. Robinson
1b. Yankey

i don't like the Clowney-Evans combo because that's neglecting our biggest need which is the Oline.

Keep in mind this is pre combine. I haven't had an opportunity to really dial up the talent that could be available at 13. To be continued...

I'm starting to like Clowney less and less. When I listen to a guy like Sapp say he had to hit pause while watching Clowney because he was pissed to watch a freak of a talent dogging it, it makes me leery.

1. Watkins
1a. Robinson, Matthews or Lewan

This is the best case scenario. Rams load up at WR and have one of the top Tackles fall to them

2nd Preference

1.Watkins
1b. Gilbert or Prior
2. Oline
3. Oline
4. OLB
5. QB-Fales
6. RB D'Anthony Thomas- Bring this cat in here. Watkins, Tavon, Givens, Thomas is a track team. Pound the rock with Stacy. They have the big posession receivers in Cook, Quick and Kendrick's.

If I'm considering Fishers history, the Oline help comes in the 2nd or 3rd round. Fish will take Clowney if he feels they've cleared any doubt of a dog. If they don't trust the Clown, then it's Watkins and a DB with the 13th pick.
Fisher can finally put the WR's issues away and focus on the rest of this offense. I would love to see this Oline built with 2 high picks in this draft.

New preference for 1st round:

1A. Robinson- with Saffold all but gone. Long on the mend and looking injury prone, Robinson looks like a big time lineman which is something the Rams haven't had since Pace. Get it over with and bring this beast in.
1B. Trade Up to #8 and give the Vikings #13 and 3rd rounder. With the #8 pick the St. Louis Rams select, WR Mike Evans Texas A&M.
We strengthen the offense and complete are search for a #1 WR.

Im hoping we hit a DB in free agency to replace that 3rd rounder we gave up.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Saffold? I cant believe my Raiders let Veldeer go and signed him for more! Tell me im crazy

Saffold was getting hurt every game. His health has been an issue although he's had nothing major happen. He actually looked real good at guard when they switched him. You might have someone who will blossom in his prime if he can stay healthy.
One thing that I saw with him. He seemed to get hurt every game and many times Fisher would come on the field and tell him to get up. Saffold would get up and walk off. Salary wise, I'm glad we didn't put that kind of money in him.

Oddly enough Saffold fails his physical with da Raiders and now he's back with us. As I mentioned above, he looked real good at guard so I'm glad to have him back. It eliminates some issues we're having with the Oline currently.

Watkins has become my 1A.
1B is really hard to pick because it's based on who's available. I really like what I see in Calvin Pryor.

if Watkins is the pick at #2 (I think they're nuts if they don't take him) the Rams have plenty of high picks remaining to bring in 2 quality Olineman.

Give me
#2 pick Watkins
#13 Zach Martin

We finally have our #1 WR and Zach Martin can be a starter anywhere on the Oline.

Would like to see the 2nd and 3rd rounders include another Olineman and a Safety like Buchanon.

From the 4th round on we have 6 more picks to add to the defense and possibly add a RB and a QB to groom. There seems to be a decent quality of RB's seem later in this draft.

I'm getting fired up foe this trip!

So many mocks seem to have the Rams going Robinson. Which means they could probably get away with trading down a couple and still get their guy, don't you think?

I think Clowney's going to be great. If Houston doesn't take him, he may get past SL and Jax, Browns would have to take him.

Tip, I think the Rams have to take Watkins because he's that explosive but I could see the Rams taking Clowney if he's there and if they really wanted to put this defense over the top, they could add Pryor at 13. I've watched a lot of tape on Pryor and he looks a lot like Ronnie Lott to me. If they went all D in round 1, then we can expect 2 Olineman and WR from round 2 to 4. There's so much good talent in the first 3 rounds that the Rams really have a thought decision to make with trading down.

I had a dream we took Watkins. I don't see how we pass on him with still a chance to land a top OT (which I still think isn't a top priority over a Guard. That's why I think Zach Martin is a solid option at #13 or trade down and take Yankey from Stanford. Watkins is too explosive not to match up with Tavon Austin. Greatest Show on Turf could be reassembled if Badfraud finds a brain.

Please Lord, give me Watkins with the #2 pick and I'll take Martin or Donald...OR someone could fall due to the fascination of needing a QB. If Manziel, Bortles and Carr somehow are taken in the top 12, then we have a chance to land Lewan. What an exciting draft if you're a Rams fan!

I can't find the graphic, but ESPN had a list of the six or seven WRs 6'1 or shorter drafted in the top 10 over the past 15 years... all busts.

Wow. I'd like to see that list Monk. I really have no idea what the Rams are thinking. If they like Matthews then they'll try to trade down obviously. I see Watkins being big time. If Fisher thinks Britt will be fine, I think having a veteran WR with Watkins, Tavon and Bailey could be incredible.

oooo the trading down part would make sense. I wouldn't use either of their two first rounders on a qb but if they could pick up another then why not

McShay is saying there's more to the Rams taking Manziel than a smokescreen. When you look at this logically, there's no way the Rams are taking a QB with one of the two 1st rounders without a trade down. If the Rams trade down the #2 then I can see the taking a shot at Manziel if he falls to 6 or 7. Why not? They can get a good Olineman at #13 and then take a WR with 1 of the 2nd rounders as well as a safety.
This would fulfill the need for an Olineman, WR and safety while adding a dynamic QB.

While Fisher is putting out the possible bluffs, I don't think it will affect anything. There's too much uncertainty with these QBs to lose draft picks over to trade up. Add the fact that the Rams aren't in need of a QB as desperately as other areas. It just doesn't add up to the Rams taking Manziel.
Unfortunately for me, it's another year of Sum Badfraud with Shaun Hill as backup. Austin Davis will compete with a QB who could be drafted in the mid to late rounds.
i just found out I have 4 tickets at Will Call to the Red Sox game Tuesday night at Fenway. Thanks to my buddy Steven Wright who is on rehab in Florida. Then it's off to Radio City!

Tavon Austin was the biggest reach pick for a WR since Teddy Ginn. You never draft punters OR punt returners in the 1st round, let alone the top 10....

Looking back, St Louis desperately needed a playmaker. I still like this pick if they use him properly. No reason why he can't be a Wes Welker for this team and have a great career as a slot receiver.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but im taking a rams sb future bet. The intent is to hedge in playoffs, but w a good draft this team could be the surprise of the year. Would not shock me if they finish ahead of the niners

Tavon Austin was the biggest reach pick for a WR since Teddy Ginn. You never draft punters OR punt returners in the 1st round, let alone the top 10....

Its crazy how for some reason we disagree so strongly about lots of nfl players

I think the Rams are set up pretty well too. Depends on what you think of Bradford. (We know where wiseplayer stands.)

Austin isn't a bust. Picked a little high, but not an exact science. He's a little more than a punt returner.

Austin isn't a bust. Picked a little high, but not an exact science. He's a little more than a punt returner.

Agreed. To claim he was drafted too high is fine but you cant call him a bust. Not many guys in the league who are a threat to score every time the balls in their hands. And hes still learning

Is there a draft combination that would impact the Rams roster more than by pairing Watkins with Austin and adding Zach Martin at #13? They not only fill 2 great needs on offense but the combination of Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey and Sammy Watkins puts weapons on the field that they haven't had since Holt, Bruce and Az. We still have Givens and Quick to fill out the WR positions. That's what I call quality depth to win championships.

wise has fallen in love with Watkins. He even had a dream.

I can't do mock drafts beyond pick 4, but here's what I think will happen if no one trades down ...

1. Clowney
2. Matthews
3. Mack
4. Johnny

I predict the Browns go Johnny and best corner left at 26. I would personally like to see best player (Matthews, Mack, Watkins) at 4 and then get Teddy or Johnny or Carr at 26. Whoever slides.

I can't do mock drafts beyond pick 4, but here's what I think will happen if no one trades down ...

1. Clowney
2. Matthews
3. Mack
4. Johnny

I predict the Browns go Johnny and best corner left at 26. I would personally like to see best player (Matthews, Mack, Watkins) at 4 and then get Teddy or Johnny or Carr at 26. Whoever slides.

I'm looking forward to my dream Wednesday night. Johnnie Football hoisting the Lombardi?

i think your top 4 is very possible if there are no trades. Do you think Watkins or Robinson at#5?

Last edited:
If the Raiders have even an ounce of Al's soul left, #5 in that scenario would be maybe Watkins, but I was kind of thinking Bortles.

Back