The Offseason Blows--News and Notes

Can't Knock The Hustle: Brandon Flowers to Make Hot Fuss on Sundays

Posted Jan 8th 2008 11:51PM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Virginia Tech Football, ACC, BCS, NFL Prospects
77647318.jpg
Great- unless Virginia Tech happens to have a guy named Ronnie Vannucci buried in their depth chart, looks like no more The Killers cracks at their expense. Not after Brandon Flowers confirmed long-standing suspicion that he'd be shuffling off to the pros even if he wasn't projected as a first-round guy.

The NFL Advisory board projects Flowers as a second-round pick, but the only thing that makes me wonder is how totally sweet being on the NFL Advisory board that projects draft status. And that they feel the need to circumvent Mel Kiper. But either way, the two-time All-American Flowers appears to be less of a character risk than recent Hokie DB's of note such as DeAngelo Hall or Jimmy Williams. I mean, god only knows what could go down if the Falcons take him as well. You might find the Buccaneers or Panthers scrambling to draft Matt Ryan. And just so you're prepared to slag on the ACC one more time in 2008, VT will now replace seven of their eleven starters on defense, and it's more than likely the guys you've heard of. And yet, they're likely STILL far and away the frontrunner in their division. And you thought the pre-2007 Big XII North was a hoot...

Jermichael Finley Says So Long, Thanks For All the Fish

Posted Jan 8th 2008 11:14PM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Texas Football, Big 12, NFL Prospects
jermichael-finley-runs-away.jpg
Perhaps the most painful sort of NFL departure is the "but he's a sophomore!" sort where a kid in only his second year on the field bolts. Normally this is not an option, but if you redshirt a guy who then blows up it's a possibility. See: Michael Vick. Texas TE Jermichael Finley is the latest third-year sophomore to depart:
"The NFL is every football players dream and when my NFL grade came back, it was encouraging and I felt like it was in my best interest to enter the draft," Finley said in a statement. "I've worked really hard for three years at Texas to prepare for this and I think I'm ready for the challenge. Coach Chambers and all of the coaches have helped me improve and taught me so much that I can't thank them enough.​
I wonder what that grade was. Whatever it is, it was probably not first-round. Finley had 45 catches for around 600 yards last year, decent but not unbelievable numbers. GBN does not have him in their top 135 draft prospects.

Tailback Jamaal Charles announced his intention to depart a couple weeks ago; remarkably, before that the only player to leave early under Mack Brown at Texas was one Vince Young. Which, like, duh.

Offensive Exodus In Ann Arbor

Posted Jan 8th 2008 9:31AM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Michigan Football, Big 10, NFL Prospects, Breaking News
adrian-arrington-240w.jpg
Right: Adrian Arrington.

In comes Rich Rodriguez, and out go Chad Henne and Mike Hart. Change is a-comin' for Michigan's offense, right? Well, that isn't the half of it. The extraordinarily blunt and open Rodriguez -- at least compared to Lloyd Carr, who never saw a question he couldn't dodge -- made an appearance on Jim Rome yesterday. Therein he expressed his opinion that Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington, and Ryan Mallett would all ply their trade elsewhere next year, the former two in the NFL and the latter on someone's bench taking an enforced redshirt after transferring.

This was opinion, but when Rodriguez attended the Michigan-Indiana basketball game (Michigan won ten billion to zero*) he spoke to reporters at half time. This is as blunt as you can get about Mallett:
"He's not playing for Michigan," Rodriguez said . "I'm concerned with whose [sic] playing for Michigan. That's my concern."
Seeya. Also seeya: Adrian Arrington, who texted Rodriguez about his decision to leave today. Mario Manningham was absent during the team meeting, but his grandfather keeps saying he'll stick around... we'll see. He's probably gone, too.

Next year is shaping up as an ugly one in Ann Arbor.

*(not actually true.)

South Florida Doesn't Want to Know if Moffitt Committed Academic Fraud

Posted Jan 8th 2008 10:26PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Big East, NCAA FB Campus, NCAA FB Scandal, South Florida Football
bull3.jpg
When the story of Ben Moffitt's impending divorce and the lie of his happy married life broke, the big story were allegations by his estranged wife that she did his papers and took his online exams. You would think an academic institution would take these allegations very seriously, even in the context of a divorce proceeding. Schools at least like to pay lip-service to the notion of the student athlete and academic integrity.

Well, um, South Florida is apparently uninterested in such quaint notions. They are not going to investigate unless one of Moffitt's former professors comes forward and expresses more than just concern.
"Professors in the courses would have to have some cause or suspicion that something inappropriate was happening and they could follow up on that," USF spokesman Ken Gullette said Friday.
"The information we have is information we're getting from reporters," Gullette said. "There's not much to do at this point."

USF President Judy Genshaft would not comment on how the allegations might affect the school's academic credibility, and she referred questions to Gullette.
Offhand, I'd guess that the allegations are disturbing and worthy of some investigation regardless of the situation. The fact that USF has no urge to look into matters unless absolutely pushed says much more about the academic credibility at South Florida. They want the professors who didn't catch anything the first time to be the ones to demand the review -- and call into question their own practices.

Ray Rice Decides to Deepen the Running Back Draft Pool

Posted Jan 8th 2008 9:36PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Big East, Rutgers Football, NFL Prospects
rricewvu.jpg
It's really not much of a shock, but Rutgers Ray Rice is giving up his senior season to enter the NFL draft. Rice was the third leading rusher in 1-A football this season with 2012 yards. Behind only Kevin Smith of Central Florida and Matt Forte of Tulane.

According to DraftHeadquarters, Rice received word from the NFL Advisory Committee that he would be a late-1st/early-second round draft pick.

With Kevin Smith already declared, Forte a senior, and Arkansas' Darren McFadden expected to declare soon, that means the top four rushers in the NCAA this past season will be in the NFL Draft. In fact with the exception of Kent State's Eugene Jarvis -- a sophomore -- it can be expected that nine of the top ten rushers will be in the NFL Draft.

Michael Hart of Michigan (#6) and Jalen Parmele of Toledo (#9) are both seniors. Juniors Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois (#8) and Jamaal Charles of Texas (#10) have already declared. Oregon Junior Jonathan Stewart (#6) is also expected to skip his senior season for the NFL.

We Hardly Knew Ye: Ray Rice and Your Friendly Neighborhood Cover Guy
By SMQ
Posted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 09:19:29 PM EDT

img15.jpg

In an old recruiting article on Ray Rice that still refered to him as "Raymell," the moderately touted tailback/cornerback prospect explained part of his reason for decommiting from Syracuse - thanks to the firing of Paul Pasqualoni, yet another of many odes to the Orange's regret - was to take advantage of the "best facilities in America" at Rutgers: "If you think you can't go in there and do all kinds of things with all that equipment...You can turn your body into a machine."
Call him a shaman - in January 2005, Rutgers had not been to a bowl game in 28 years, was 3-24 in Big East games in its first four years under Greg Schiano and only an optimistic, prophetic 17-year-old could envision the school being anywhere near the best in America at anything related to football. Rice is either the first symbol of Rutgers' renaissance or the only one, depending on where the Knights go without their now-chiseled offensive machine after his decision to declare early for the draft.

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <caption align="top">Ray Rice, This is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Att.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Att.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">195</td> <td align="center">1,120</td> <td align="center">5.7</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="center">8</td> <td align="center">8.1</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">335</td> <td align="center">1,794</td> <td align="center">5.4</td> <td align="center">20</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">7.5</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">380</td> <td align="center">2,012</td> <td align="center">5.3</td> <td align="center">24</td> <td align="center">25</td> <td align="center">9.6</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">910</td> <td align="center">4,926</td> <td align="center">5.4</td> <td align="center">49</td> <td align="center">37</td> <td align="center">9.0</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Once he wrested the starting job midway through his freshman year, the Knights' most successful three-year run since the Carter Administration leaned overwhelmingly on its workhorse: the only player who has more career carries or yards than Rice is Mike Hart, who has an extra year on him, and the only with more carries or yards per game is UCF's Kevin Smith, who declared Monday. He never missed a game, topped twenty carries in 29 games (24 of 26 games the last two years) and had eight 30-carry games in 2007 alone. Like Hart and Smith, there are questions about Rice's speed, and he's only projected as a third-rounder, but no machine could prove itself more reliably resistant to wear and tear.
Throwing their names in the ring with Rice today were a trio of celebrated cornerbacks: Jack Ikegwuonu of Wisconsin, Brandon Flowers of Virginia Tech and the recently triumphant Aqib Talib, MVP of Kansas' win over Flowers' Hokies in the Orange Bowl, where Talib's interception return for touchdown was the biggest single play of the night. Statistics never do any sort of justice to cornerbacks, whose ideal line is the `0' of offenses too wary to throw in their direction, but the success of their teams' defenses is some indication: Virginia Tech was fifth in the country in pass efficiency defense after finishing second in Flowers' first two seasons, and Kansas rocketed to ninth nationallly in pass efficiency D after allowing more passing yards than any other team in 2006; a pair of new safeties, an injured Allen Langford opposite Ikegwuonu down the stretch and a vastly weaker run defense left Wisconsin a modest 54th, but the Badgers easily led the nation against the pass in 2006, Ikegwuonu's first as a starter.
kuffs4.JPG
Snapshot_2008_01_08_20_12_42.tiff
flowers2006_04_small.jpg

Ikegwuonu and Talib are both over six-feet, outstanding size, and where Talib is a borderline first-second rounder, Ikegwuonu would seem to have room to improve his second round projection with a 40 time (currently listed at a surprisingly low 4.54) more in line with his speed on-field in chasing down Darren McFadden in last year's Outback Bowl and blanketing Mario Manningham in the Badgers' win over Michigan in November. The slightly smaller (5-10, 190) Flowers looks like a third-rounder, but he - like Ikegwuonu in the Big Ten and Talib in the Big 12 - was a first team all-conference pick by ACC coaches each of the last two seasons, suggesting at least one of them will look like a first rate, much-coveted "lockdown" guy in the next four or five years (to the extent that's possible in the NFL, as fae as the League goes out of its way to handcuff DBs).
Also declaring: Texas tight end and new father Jermichael Finley, only a sophomore, but eligible for the draft because he spent his first year in Austin redshirting; Talib's teammate Anthony Collins, an all-Big 12 and sometime all-American offensive tackle; and Auburn defensive tackle Pat Sims, the most productive of the Tigers' formidable rotation on the interior line.
<!-- poll box -->
<table align="center" width="40%"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Jack Ikegwuonu Is Going Pro

Posted Jan 8th 2008 1:34PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Wisconsin Football, Big 10, NFL Prospects
ikeggonepro.jpg
The weak Big Ten just got a tiny bit weaker yesterday, and I'm not talking about Ohio State's loss to LSU. Wisconsin junior cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu announced that he'd be skipping his senior season in Madison, and is entering the NFL draft.
Wisconsin cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu, a two-time All-Big 10 defender who is projected by scouts as a high-round selection, will forego his final season of college eligibility to enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Ikegwuonu, who turned 22 on Monday, has filed the appropriate paperwork with the league office for entry into the lottery.​
Ikegwuonu was considered a top NFL prospect before the season started, but a slow start to his season at Wisconsin tempered a lot of scouts takes on his overall ability. Thankfully, Jack's play to finish the season re-established him as one of the better corners in the country.

I did notice at times during the season that Ikegwuonu seemed to play better when he was matched up against the Big Ten's better receivers like Mario Manningham than he did against the lesser knowns of the conference. So maybe motivation is something he's going to have to work on in the NFL.

Whatever the case may be for Jack's slow start to the season, the fact that this years class of corners entering the NFL draft isn't as deep as we've grown accustomed to seeing means it's a good a time as any for Ikegwuonu to leave school for the NFL. Staying at Wisconsin for another year may have ended up costing him a few million dollars based on draft position.

Auburn's Sims to try his luck in the NFL (Updated)

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times January 08, 2008 12:13 PM

Categories: Football
small_Pat%20Sims.jpg
Pat Sims
Junior Auburn defensive tackle Pat Sims announced this afternoon that he will pass up his senior season and make himself available for the NFL draft.
"This was something that I carefully thought about and felt it was in my best interest to pass on my senior season at Auburn and make myself eligible for the NFL draft," Sims said in a statement released by Auburn's media relations office. "It's always been a dream of mine to play at the next level, and I believe this is the right time to pursue that goal.".
Despite playing with a variety of injuries, Sims was in on 37 tackles in the 2007 season, 11 1/2 of them for losses. He had 4 1/2 sacks. He broke up three passes and had 15 quarterback hurries. He was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection, and his NFL stock climbed steadily as the season went on. He is projected to go as high as the second round.
Sims, from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale, left the Auburn team early in the 2005 season. He returned in time for bowl practice and was in on 16 tackles, including five for losses, in 2006.
"I had a great experience at Auburn and I'd like to thank Coach (Tommy) Tuberville, Coach (Don) Dunn, Coach (Eddie) Gran, Coach (Kevin) Yoxall and the remainder of the football staff for their support and for helping make me the player and person that I am," Sims said. "'m very appreciative to them for sticking with me through the good and bad times. I'll also miss my teammates and the great Auburn fans, who were my biggest supporters."
Sims, 6-foot-4 and 314 pounds, was named the most valuable defensive player in Auburn's 23-20 overtime victory over Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Frazier out as Hawaii athletic director

Fired one day after former coach Jones goes to SMU

Posted: Tuesday January 8, 2008 9:27PM; Updated: Tuesday January 8, 2008 10:35PM

HONOLULU (AP) -- The University of Hawaii fired athletics director Herman Frazier on Tuesday after he failed to re-sign football coach June Jones.
In a brief statement, the university said the move was made "in the best interest of the athletics program." It came a day after Jones, the winningest coach in school history, accepted a five-year deal worth about $2 million a year to coach at SMU.
Frazier was unavailable for comment.
Under provisions in his contract, Frazier will be paid $312,510, which includes a year's salary, plus 90 days of pay. The contract was set to expire July 31, 2010.
The details of the termination agreement with Frazier must be finalized and require the approval of the Board of Regents.
Associate athletics director Carl Clapp will serve as acting director until Frazier's replacement is hired.
Clapp will handle the day-to-day operations, as well as work with administrators to secure a new head football coach.

Clemsux

Davis, Kelly likely to enter NFL draft

<!---->By Larry Williams (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Wednesday, January 9, 2008

CLEMSON – Clemson tailback James Davis has told teammates he’s planning to enter the NFL Draft, and that’s not a surprise. Nor are the anticipated plans of defensive end Phillip Merling, who’s widely expected to do the same.
Aaron Kelly? That’s another story.
Kelly, the Tigers’ top receiver, pulled off a shocker Tuesday by deciding to skip his senior season and enter the draft. Kelly’s loss, coupled with Davis’ departure, would deal a severe blow to an offense that was set to return all its key skill players in 2008.
clem_davis_t180.jpg

Mic Smith
The Post and Courier/File Clemson running back James Davis will not return to the Tigers and will enter the NFL draft.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Jan. 15. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Kelly had yet to meet with coach Tommy Bowden as of Tuesday evening, but people familiar with the situation said he was adamant about heading to the NFL. The same appears to be true of Davis, who informed teammates of his plans Tuesday night after meeting with his family.
Reached late Tuesday, Davis confirmed he’d made a decision. But he said he preferred to announce it today after speaking with his coaches. He told teammates he is entering the draft to do what is best for his family.
Kelly, a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection in 2007, was forecast as a fourth- or fifth-round draft pick by the NFL underclassmen advisory committee. He had 88 catches for 1,081 yards and 11 touchdowns during the Tigers’ 9-4 season, falling four yards short of the school’s career receiving record.
Kelly’s apparent departure is causing quarterback Cullen Harper to take a second look at his decision to remain for his senior season. Harper, a second-team All-ACC pick in 2007 behind Boston College’s Matt Ryan, said he has to "think about who I’m throwing to next year."
Harper was given a fifth-round forecast from the advisory committee.
"He caught nearly one-third of my passes, so I have to consider it," Harper said of Kelly. "But I’m still probably 95 percent sure I’m coming back."
Kelly, Davis and Merling did not attend a team meeting Tuesday afternoon in Clemson. Merling, who has been forecast as a second-round pick, met with Bowden on Monday to discuss his plans. Bowden said Merling did not give him a decision, but Merling has told several people close to him he is done at Clemson.
Davis was projected to go in the third round of the draft. For most of the season, he said he planned to remain for his senior season. But late in the year he fumed that he wasn’t getting enough carries.
Davis, who surpassed 1,000 yards rushing as a sophomore and junior – and earned first-team All-ACC honors both years -- had 12 or fewer carries in six of Clemson’s 13 games. Before the Tigers’ 23-20 overtime loss to Auburn in the Dec. 31 Chick-fil-A Bowl, he said he might base his NFL decision on his number of carries in the game.
Davis rushed 23 times for 72 yards in the defeat, averaging 3.1 yards per attempt.
Clemson received some good news Tuesday when safety Michael Hamlin said he will return to Clemson for his senior season. Hamlin flirted seriously with leaving early but said he was dismayed to receive a fourth-round projection. He also said a knee injury suffered in the bowl defeat influenced his decision.
Hamlin said he will receive the results of an MRI today. He said he has been told the injury could range from a sprain to a torn medial collateral ligament.
Defensive tackle Dorell Scott said he is planning to remain for his senior season.
Clemson’s No. 2 receiver in 2007 was Tyler Grisham, who had 60 catches for 653 yards and four touchdowns. Tailback C.J. Spiller was the third-leading receiver as a sophomore, catching 34 passes for 271 yards.

Barry to return
Tight end Durell Barry said he decided to remain at Clemson after seriously considering transferring elsewhere.
Barry, a redshirt sophomore who played at Fort Dorchester, played just 31 snaps in 2007 and caught one pass. He said he takes the blame for his inactivity and will work harder to get on the field next season.
"I love Clemson," he said. "I think there’s a lot that I can still contribute. I just have to put the work in. You get the idea that playing somewhere else might be easier, but I want to play here. I want to stay. … If I don’t play, it’s my fault."
The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Barry is one of Clemson’s more athletic players. He played 125 snaps in 2006 and said he still does not fully understand why coaches didn’t use him more in 2007.
"I’m not going to complain about it," he said.
Reach Larry Williams at lwilliams@postandcourier.com.

Rucker fills newly created position

By Suzanne Halliburton | Wednesday, January 9, 2008, 02:18 PM
Running backs coach Ken Rucker has accepted Mack Brown’s offer to become Texas’ new director of high school relations and player development.
The job was created and added to the UT athletic department last week. Rucker applied for the job once it was posted.
“We’re very excited about the position,” Rucker said in a statement. “It’s an opportunity to continue to be a role model for the kids, helping to build character and also maintain relationships with the high school coaches which are both such a vital part of our program. I have always been about football, family and faith and this position will help us strengthen our relationships with the kids and touch even more of their lives.”
Brown will now begin searching for a running backs coach.
The 55-year-old Rucker had been in charge of UT running backs for three seasons. His prized pupil was Jamaal Charles, who gained 1,619 yards this year. Coincidentally, Rucker applied for the job the day after Charles declared for the NFL draft.
Rucker was diagnosed with prostate cancer in August and missed the first month of the regular season to recuperate from surgery. The entire Longhorn team and staff wore blue and white rubber bracelets to support Rucker through the recovery.
The new job has been in the works for two seasons.
The job description was posted the past week on the UT jobs web site.
The job duties call for “One-on-one meetings, conferences, clinics, and correspondence with high school student-athletes, coaches, and administrators. Manage, supervise, meet, and greet prospective student-athletes at the pre-game reception in the players’ lounge and the post game activities in the locker room. Manage and supervise the video department and film log. Manage and supervise approximately four quality control coaches. Dorm duty, curfew, and community service. FCA liaison and campus and Moncrief Neuhaus Athletic complex tours for prospects on unofficial visits.”
An applicant needed 15 years of Division I-A coaching experience. Brown took applications from his staff before considering an outside coach.
Brown is due back in Austin Thursday after spending the past three days in Anaheim for the football coaches convention.

Tennessee's Mayo to enter NFL draft

Posted: Wednesday January 9, 2008 2:01PM; Updated: Wednesday January 9, 2008 2:03PM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo plans to leave before his senior year and enter the NFL draft.
A university source says Mayo will announce his plans at a news conference scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m. Eastern in Knoxville.
The source did not wish to be identified because Mayo wanted to announce the plans himself.
Mayo earned his degree in sports management last month. He led the Southeastern Conference this season with 140 tackles. Analysts predict Mayo could be a top linebacker pick in the draft.

Two More Losses on Horizon for Ohio State

Posted Jan 9th 2008 12:31PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Ohio State Football, Big 10, NCAA FB Rumors, NFL Prospects
gholstongonewithlaurinaitis.jpg
As much as most college football fans want to hear it, it's entirely possible the Ohio State Buckeyes might find themselves in their third straight BCS title game a year from now. When going over the Buckeyes starters, there are only three seniors on the team, and with Michigan about to go through a tough season, it's easy to see the Buckeyes running the Big 10 table again next season.

Jim Tressel isn't so sure though. There are a couple of juniors on his defense that he doesn't see coming back to Columbus next season, and they're relatively important to his defense.
"A little bit of it will be determined by who ends up (leaving early)," Tressel said. "I'm guessing (defensive end) Vernon Gholston for sure, because being a fourth-year guy I don't know how much more he can enhance himself draft-wise ... and I'm guessing maybe (linebacker James) Laurinaitis.

"Now, if that's it -- don't get me wrong, those are two great ones for the Buckeyes -- but if you lose three or four, that will make it a little more difficult."​
While the loss of both Gholston and Laurinaitis would be big for the Buckeyes, at the same time, they're still the Buckeyes. No matter who they lose, Tressel always seems to fill their spot with somebody of equal or better talent. After all, this was supposed to be a bit of a transitional year after Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, and a bunch of key players from 2006 left the program, and they still ended up getting a chance to get their butts kicked on national television again this season.

'Noles LB Hayes entering NFL draft

Posted: Wednesday January 9, 2008 12:10PM; Updated: Wednesday January 9, 2008 12:17PM

<table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad" width="100%">
t1_hayes.jpg

Florida State linebacker Geno Hayes racked up 17 1/2 tackles for loss.
AP

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad">
advertisement_down.gif
<noscript>
</noscript>
</td></tr><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnstoryclpad">
</td></tr></tbody></table>TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida State linebacker Geno Hayes will forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft in April.
Hayes, a junior, called it a tough decision and thanked coach Bobby Bowden and the coaching staff.
"I know he has the ability to play at that level," Bowden said. "It is just a matter of time."
Hayes was second on the team in tackles and an Atlantic Coast Conference first-team pick in 2007.
He is the second Florida State linebacker in as many years to leave early. Lawrence Timmons was a first-round pick in 2007 by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Hayes is not projected as high and Bowden had said earlier that he hoped the player would come back to improve his draft stock.
Hayes also made news off the field. He was stunned with a Taser by Tallahassee police in September after a 2 a.m. altercation outside a bar.
In November, he predicted Florida quarterback "Tim Tebow's going down" four days before the Seminoles were beaten 45-12 by the Gators. Hayes made only one tackle late in the game.

Notre Dame CB heading to Missouri

Posted: Wednesday January 9, 2008 11:39AM; Updated: Wednesday January 9, 2008 11:39AM

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame cornerback Munir Prince has decided to transfer, and three other Irish players have applied to return for fifth years.
Linebacker Maurice Crum Jr., a captain of last year's team, defensive end Justin Brown and cornerback Terrail Lambert have applied to the university to return next season for their final year of eligibility. While other schools redshirt players, Notre Dame players who do not participate for a season must earn their degrees and apply for permission to return for another season.
Crum was fourth on the team in tackles last season with 84. Lambert had 34 tackles and Brown made 30.
Prince, one of the quickest players on the Irish roster, was a tailback as a freshman, carrying the ball 15 times for 21 yards. He switched to cornerback last season and was in 10 games, making three tackles. He has decided to transfer to Missouri.
Both starting cornerbacks, Lambert and sophomore Darrin Walls, are expected back next season, and Prince was also behind several other reserves.
"After talking with Munir, he decided he'd like to leave our football team and the university," coach Charlie Weis said Tuesday. "I appreciate all Munir has done for our program and Notre Dame and wish him well in the future."

We Hardly Knew Ye: Michigan's Passing Game; James Davis
By SMQ
Posted on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 07:55:51 PM EDT

The first thing I couldn’t believe about Mario Manningham is that an American with the name ‘Manningham’ – a distinctly British moniker, as in an area of Bradford, West Yorkshire, or an Australian suburb just east of Melbourne, or The Hon. Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, director general of the British internal national security agency under Tony Blair – wasn’t a lily white heir to the Manningham Refrigeration and Appliance fortune or something in Middlesex, Connecticut, with at least some passing familiarity at being refered to by the help as “Lord.” The second thing I couldn’t believe is how short he was – after years of succession through lanky, NFL-style leapers Amani Toomer, Tai Streets, David Terrell, Marquise Walker, Braylon Edwards and Jason Avant, the assumption that any Wolverine receiver as fluid and obviously destined for “next big thing” status as Manningham must be in the same 6-2, 210-pound mold, at least. But Manningham barely stood six feet, if that, and unlike his predecessors was a much greater threat to get past receivers with sheer speed that to go up over them for catches in traffic (Edwards’ specialty).
357411.jpg

Manningham and Arrington: Gone and gone.
- - -

He was good enough at this to still project as a first round pick despite his height, a status he and bigger, less touted receiving mate Adrian Arrington will be taking advantage of directly, according to their new coach, and not necessarily under the most amicable circumstances:
  • Newly hired Michigan football coach Rich Rodriguez confirmed Tuesday night that receivers Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington and quarterback Ryan Mallett are no longer with the team. Rodriguez confirmed the news in an impromptu briefing with the media at halftime of the men's basketball game against Indiana. Rodriguez also said his staff is nearly complete, but he needs to add a defensive coordinator and give some assistants specific roles with the team by this weekend.
    In regard to Manningham and Arrington, Rodriguez said both players didn't attend a team meeting Monday, so he expects both to test the NFL waters. Mallett also didn't attend the meeting.
    Rodriguez said Arrington text-messaged him Tuesday about his plans to pursue the professional draft. Rodriguez said he hasn't spoken to Manningham since the Wolverines' Capital One Bowl victory over Florida.
    "Obviously, with Mario and Adrian, they made a decision they thought would help them professionally and decided to come out early," Rodriguez said. "We wish them well and that's all I have to say about that."
    As for Mallett, Rodriguez declined to give many details. But when pressed on the freshman's status, he replied: "I don't care. He's not playing for Michigan. I'm concerned with who's playing for Michigan."
    - - -
Text messaging critical life decisions, a coach claiming, “I don’t care” about the status of a blue chip quarterback who a month ago still held the immediate future of the Wolverine offense in his oversized hands...it’s not the smoothest transition to the Rodriguez Era.
  • <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="275"> <caption align="top">Mario Manningham, This is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
    </td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">27</td> <td align="center">433</td> <td align="center">16.0</td> <td align="center">6</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">38</td> <td align="center">703</td> <td align="center">18.5</td> <td align="center">9</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">72</td> <td align="center">1,174</td> <td align="center">16.3</td> <td align="center">12</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">137</td> <td align="center">2,310</td> <td align="center">16.9</td> <td align="center">27</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="275"> <caption align="top">Adrian Arrington, This is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
    </td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2004</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">12</td> <td align="center">6.0</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">40</td> <td align="center">544</td> <td align="center">13.6</td> <td align="center">8</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">67</td> <td align="center">882</td> <td align="center">13.2</td> <td align="center">8</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style=""> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">109</td> <td align="center">1,438</td> <td align="center">13.2</td> <td align="center">16</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
It would be difficult to classify either receiver’s career in Ann Arbor as a disappointment, though entering this season there was still the sense that Manningham had only scratched the surface of his talent during an injury-filled sophomore season and the sudden explosion of the Wolverine offense in the <strike>Citrus</strike> Capital One Bowl – in which Arrington delivered the best performance of his career – was the first sense of promise and/or redemption since the toxic season-opening losses to Appalachian State and Oregon. Now, with Mallett’s eminent departure, Rodriguez will at least have a relatively fresh set of putty with which to mold the Wolverine offense in his own image: every skill position starter for Michigan in 2008 will be new, as will three-fifths of the offensive line. Assuming he won’t be relying heavily on the talents of returning fullback Mark Mondrous, the show will be fully Rodriguez’s from Day One. Mallett, for the record, said he "felt forced out" by Rodriguez's option offense, having signed on to be a dropback passer. His old quarterback coach/recruiter, Scott Loeffler, is interviewing with Texas A&M, UCLA and Tennessee (he reportedly had his second interview with the Vols today) and Mallett's dad said Tennessee could be the place, especially if it hired Loeffler and ousted Wolverine offensive coordinator Mike DeBord. Howler quote for Wolverine partisans:
  • "If they're hired, that would be a real good possibility," Jim Mallett said. "Ryan really clicked with both coach DeBord and coach Loeffler during the last couple months of the season and during bowl practices. I've never seen Ryan throw the ball or read defenses as well as he did."
    - - -
    [emphasis added]
Having watched the ugly disaster that was Mallett's performance at Wisconsin, if what Mallett Sr. says is true, I think I speak for all Michigan fans when I say my already-tenuous faith in recruiting rankings needs to be seriously re-evaluated. Elsewhere, countering the good news that receiver Aaron Kelly will be staying in school, Clemson’s James Davis has to decided to break up one of the country’s most simultaneously dangerous and disappointing tailback duos by taking his jersey-stretching talents to the draft, leaving hearstopping but inconsistent C.J. Spiller to carry the rushing load of next year’s potentially sensational Tiger offense.
  • <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <caption align="top">James Davis, This is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
    </td> <td align="center">Att.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Att.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">165</td> <td align="center">879</td> <td align="center">5.3</td> <td align="center">9</td> <td align="center">19</td> <td align="center">8</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">203</td> <td align="center">1187</td> <td align="center">5.8</td> <td align="center">17</td> <td align="center">6</td> <td align="center">19.2</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">214</td> <td align="center">1064</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="center">10</td> <td align="center">12</td> <td align="center">4.3</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">582</td> <td align="center">3130</td> <td align="center">5.4</td> <td align="center">36</td> <td align="center">37</td> <td align="center">8.6</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
346364a5-0ef5-452e-b016-6521c153bcc3_ms.jpeg

Sometimes, even James Davis’ shirt could only hope to contain him. But only sometimes.
- - -
Davis could dominate a game or quickly disappear from it, which he frequently did in big games – he had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons despite sharing time with Spiller, but last year had only twelve carries in the loss to Georgia Tech, six in the loss to Virginia Tech and twelve in the division-deciding loss to Boston College. He’s projected as a third rounder, which seems good enough given the likelihood of more split carries with Spiller and Davis’ new status as a father – he has a one-year-old daughter, according to the Charleston Post and Courier. Look out for number one, son. Clemson also stands a very good chance of losing defensive end Philip Merling to the draft, according to Merling’s grandfather, but the Tigers’ sack leader hasn’t made any official decision. Also Declaring Early: All-SEC linebacker Jerod Mayo of Tennessee, a likely first day pick; Linebacker Geno Hayes of Florida State, excellent in pursuit and standing shirtless, screaming profanities and waving his arms wildly outside a bar before being tasered by police but undersized at just 220 pounds; and all-ACC safety DaJuan Morgan of N.C. State, whose excellent tackle total is mitigated to a great degree by the fact that he played safety for N.C. State and had plenty of opportunities.

Can't Knock the Hustle: Geno Hayes

Posted Jan 9th 2008 11:21PM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Florida State Football, ACC, BCS, NFL Prospects
71907732.jpg
In regards to the timeline of the 2007 Florida State Seminoles football season as most people knew it, Geno Hayes fits in thusly: he was the guy who claimed that Tim Tebow was "going down," and he managed to not get suspended for the Music City Bowl. So, he had that going for him.

And now, he'll be the latest Floridian defensive prospect from the ACC to jump from a mediocre team to the NFL. What's interesting is that this might be the first that seems to have gotten some resistance from the head coach; while Randy Shannon seemed to be okay with the departure of Kenny Phillips and Calais Campbell (particularly since the latter got his degree), but Bobby Bowden remains skeptical that Hayes is at the level of last year's LB defection, Lawrence Timmons (1st round, Steelers), but at least was willing to admit "it's a matter of time" before he succeeds at the next level. One can only hope for Hayes' sake that it's not the same "matter of time"-table that Bowden himself is on, because he could damn well be waiting into 2020 for that to come.

We Hardly Knew Ye: Malcolm Kelly, Earl Bennett, Ryan Grice-Mullen, Darius Reynaud
By SMQ
Posted on Thu Jan 10, 2008 at 08:34:47 PM EDT

Or, Who Now Shall Catch Our Passes, Take Two.
- - -
The 2008 Draft is already bulging with underclass receivers: three different wideouts declared early last weekend along with a pair of receiving tight ends (Martellus Bennett and Jermichael Finley), followed Wednesday by Michigan's starting wideouts, Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington, who didn't like where they fit (or didn't fit, to put it more precisely) in Rich Rodriguez's offense; much less attention was paid to unlikely early entrants Mario Urrutia (Louisville) and Taj Smith (Syracuse), neither of whom is projected to be drafted in April. Four more names to add to the glut Thursday: Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly, Vanderbilt's Earl Bennett, Hawaii's Ryan Grice-Mullen and West Virginia's Darius Reynaud.
Kelly is the most notable because - though he received a second round grade by the League's undergraduate advisory committee - he instantly moves ahead of James Hardy in some projections as the top-rated receiver in the class, this year's best possible combination of size (6-4, 218), deep speed and hands, which happened to be ignored on occasion by the Sooners' run-first offense:

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="300"> <caption align="top">Malcolm Kelly, This Is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">33</td> <td align="center">471</td> <td align="center">14.3</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">62</td> <td align="center">993</td> <td align="center">16.0</td> <td align="center">10</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">49</td> <td align="center">821</td> <td align="center">16.8</td> <td align="center">9</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">144</td> <td align="center">2,285</td> <td align="center">15.9</td> <td align="center">21</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Kelly had seven touchdowns last year in OU's opening thrashings of North Texas, Miami and Utah State, but only two the rest of the season, failing to catch any pass in the upset loss at Colorado and missing the Fiesta Bowl wipeout against West Virginia with an injury. It's a good thing he has the talent to make it at the next level, though, because his future in the music industry is not nearly so bright:

<object height="305" width="345">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9RiitZEHxA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="305" width="345"></object></p> (I dunno, maybe he just needs the right production.)
The rest of the ostensibly be elated at the departure of Bennett, who was first team all-SEC as a freshman and junior, second team as a sophomore and the only remotely SEC-caliber offensive weapon on Vandy's roster post-Cutler, but his presence didn't result in a sniff of a bowl bid for the Commodores and his stock is on the decline:

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="300"> <caption align="top">Earl Bennett, This Is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">79</td> <td align="center">876</td> <td align="center">11.1</td> <td align="center">9</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">82</td> <td align="center">1,146</td> <td align="center">14.0</td> <td align="center">6</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">75</td> <td align="center">830</td> <td align="center">11.1</td> <td align="center">5</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">236</td> <td align="center">2,852</td> <td align="center">12.1</td> <td align="center">20</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
FLA12.jpg

In Bennett's case, we really did hardly know him.
- - -
Bennett has decent speed but was used as a possession receiver, especially with subpar passer Chris Nickson replacing Cutler the last two years, and his numbers for the past season are accompanied with a substantial asterisk: although he was all-conference and although he had four good to great games against nonconference competition (13 catches, 223 yards and three touchdowns against DI-AA Richmond, 9 for 95 yards against Eastern Michigan, 8 for 85 yards against Miami, Ohio), Bennett did not catch a touchdown pass against an SEC defense and did not catch any pass against an SEC defense longer than 24 yards. Maybe that's why he's so eager to leave - Bennett's expected to go as a second or third-rounder, presumably on the projection of what he can do when he has a viable quarterback again. Just as long as he's not drafted by the Jets, Bears, Chiefs, Rams, Bills, Vikings, Dolphins, Ravens, Falcons, Lions, Texans... Reynaud and Grice-Mullen are unknown quantities in a couple ways: both are too short to be elite prospects, and their production was skewed in directly opposite ways by their respective offensive systems: Grice-Mullen, following June Jones, Davone Bess and graduating Colt Brennan and Jason Rivers as the last hyper-productive escapee of Hawaii's suddenly collapsed run-n-shoot empire, caught 237 passes for more than 3,300 yards over his three years in Jones' system, for more yards per game than any other active receiver. That's more than twice the catches and yards of Reynaud, but options for wide outs in Rich Rodriguez's spread are geared as least as much to blocking and running end arounds as catching passes, duties Reynaud handled quite well even while hauling in 64 passes this year, most of them of the short-and-easy variety to keep things easy for future pro receiver Pat White. The more productive-than-talented Grice-Mullen and the more-talented-than-productive Reynaud will probably meet somewhere in the fifth round.
Also Declaring Early: As expected, Clemson defensive end Philip Merling followed teammate James Davis into the draft today, and, as reported, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall officially announced his entry at a press conference. Knock `em dead, men.

Wyoming signs juco quarterback

Posted: Thursday January 10, 2008 4:30PM; Updated: Thursday January 10, 2008 4:31PM

LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) -- Wyoming gained another quarterback with the signing of Dax Crum, who played this past season for Mesa (Ariz.) Community College.
Crum said he had signed scholarship papers to play for the Cowboys.
Crum, who visited the Wyoming campus last weekend, said in a telephone interview with the Laramie Boomerang that he will be enrolled at UW for the spring semester.
Crum still has three years of eligibility remaining.
"I really enjoyed the coaching staff, and I know I am going to have an opportunity to come in and compete to play right away. That was very important to me," Crum said of his decision to join the Cowboys. "Also, Wyoming is a great place to go to school. It has a great engineering school, and that was also very important to me."
The Scottsdale, Ariz., native said he will major in electrical engineering at UW.
This past fall, Crum completed 149 of 244 passes (61.1 percent) for 2,807 yards and 23 touchdowns. He threw only six interceptions in leading the Thunderbirds to an overall record of 9-2 and a 47-31 victory over Fort Scott (Kan.) in the Valley of the Sun Bowl game for junior colleges. The previous year, Mesa went 2-7.
Against Fort Scott, Crum completed 22 of 29 passes for 386 yards and four touchdowns and was named the game's Most Valuable Player.
Crum's 2007 performance earned him honorable mention Junior College All-American honors. He also was a first-team All-Western States Football League selection and was named the Co-Region I offensive Player of the Year. He shared the honors with Eastern Arizona running back Pat Riley.
Asked to describe himself as a football player, Crum said he's big and physical.
"I can throw the ball accurately and on time, and I make good decisions. Those are the three things that make me a good football player."
Crum played his prep ball at Horizon High School in Scottsdale and was recruited by a number of schools, but most backed off after Crum as involved in a traffic accident in April of his senior year.
"I made a bad decision and I have moved on. All that is in the past and I'm just so excited about the opportunity to come to Wyoming," he said.
Crum tried to make Arizona State as a walk-on after high school but left for Mesa when the Sun Devils hired Dennis Erickson as their new coach.
"Coach Erickson brought along with him some quarterbacks and I could read the writing on the wall," Crum said. "I knew I had to go someplace else so I transferred to Mesa Community College."
Following his season at Mesa Community College this past fall, the college recruiters were back knocking on his door. He said he was pursued by Colorado State, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Washington State as well as Wyoming.
Crum will have the opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job at Wyoming this spring under new Cowboy offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Bob Cole. He will be in competition with junior incumbent Karsten Sween, senior Ian Hetrick and redshirt freshman Chris Stutzriem.
"I'm excited because Wyoming has some good players," Crum said. "There are some good receivers and some good tailbacks."

Notre Dame Loses Another Player

Posted Jan 10th 2008 5:07PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, NCAA FB Recruiting, Missouri Football
munirprince.jpg
It's a good thing that Charlie Weis and Notre Dame are still able to recruit the nation's top talent out of high school, even after an awful year in South Bend, because the players they already have on the roster just keep leaving. The latest is sophomore cornerback Munir Prince.

Prince has decided that South Bend just isn't the place for him, and he's going to start over at Missouri.
Munir Prince (above), a reserve cornerback from St. Louis, has left Notre Dame and is transferring to Missouri. Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis confirmed the departure, and [Prince's high school coach] Pat Mahoney confirmed the pending arrival.
Obviously, as with any player transfer, Prince is going to have to sit out the 2008 season. When he's able to play again in 2009, he'll still have two years of eligibility left.

Prince is the fifth member of the 28 in his original sophomore class to have left Notre Dame. He was also the first recruit to verbally commit to Notre Dame after Charlie Weis took over the program. Prince was originally a running back in his freshman season before being converted to cornerback this past season.

With all the players the Irish had ahead of Munir on the depth chart, Prince didn't see much time on the field and only recorded three tackles this season. With news that Terrail Lambert has applied for a fifth year of eligibility, and Darrin Walls also returning for 2008, odds are that Munir wasn't going to see much playing time next season either.

Two Vols linemen staying put

Guards Parker, Foster coming back for senior season

Posted: Thursday January 10, 2008 3:07PM; Updated: Thursday January 10, 2008 3:07PM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee offensive guards Anthony Parker and Ramon Foster say that they will return to play for the Vols for their senior season.
Parker and Foster were members of the Vols offensive line that gave up a nationwide-low four sacks this season.
Parker was tagged as a member of The Associated Press All-Southeastern Conference and as a second-team All-American.
However, linebacker Jerod Mayo announced on Wednesday that he would forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft.
Tennessee is waiting decisions by tailback Arian Foster and Britton Colquitt on whether they will also return.

Is Applewhite a Target for Texas OC?
By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Thu Jan 10, 2008 at 10:22:18 AM EDT

While it's nice to have other fans coveting our coaching staff for a change, it's also a little unnerving at times. The Applewhite to Houston rumors were a little laughable, but now comes word that there could be something to the Applewhite to Texas as the new Longhorns OC rumors:

To recap the situation briefly: there's talk not only that Texas has an interest in Major Applewhite, but that the interest is mutual. Though this seems like a given to certain segments of the fanbase, the reality is much more nuanced; not only is Major extraordinarily well situated at Alabama, but it's never been a given that Applewhite would share the same enthusiasm for returning to Texas as the fans have for seeing him return.

majorapplewhite.jpg

We hardly knew ye?

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Cavalcade of Whimsy - Did The Big Ten Clunk? </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
511789.jpg

</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Jan 10, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Was the Big Ten REALLY as bad as it's being made out to be? Who's one guy who might actually make a playoff happen? Who the Heisman winner would be if the voting was done after the bowls, the steroid issue, and much more in the bowl version of the Cavalcade of Whimsy.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... E-mail with your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT] 2006 Season | Preseason Part One, Part Two | Week 1
Week
2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8
Week 9 | Week 10 | Week 11, Part 1 | Week 11, Part 2 | Week 12
Week 13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Dec. 17
December 18 Cavalcade Part Two ... Every Team's Holiday Wish List

If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … I wasn’t even able to win my own division outright, much less my conference championship, but I feel like I should’ve been playing for the national title after destroying an overrated Hawaii team that had its head out over its skis. Because I didn’t get a chance to play for the whole ball of wax, I want to overhaul the column and push forward a playoff system. I'm also writing up a formal proposal to turn back time so I can then benefit from the new format.

The brake pedal is the one on the left …
Great, now I have to look like Mr. Big Ten again.

Has there ever been a backlash like the one against the Big Ten for having the temerity to lose a second straight national championship game? Columnists and radio talk show hosts across the country couldn’t shovel dirt on the league and Ohio State fast enough after the bowls, like getting whacked by LSU is like losing to Appalachian State or Duke at home.

Well, the Big Ten did lose to Appalachian State (Michigan) and Duke (Northwestern) at home, but that doesn’t mean the conference is somewhere between the MAC and Conference USA on a national perception scale, as a my-dog-just-died looking Kirk Herbstriet said.

Look, if a fully healthy, fully rested LSU wasn’t the best team in America, it was a close number two, and you’d have been nuts not to think it'd probably beat any of the other 118 D-I/FBS teams on that Monday night in the Superdome. Georgia certainly would’ve given LSU a fight (and I sort of think Missouri would, too), but a 99% healthy USC is probably the one team that truly has a claim to being the best in the country. Also, the Big Ten shouldn’t be killed for getting blown out by a healed and fired up Trojan team in Pasadena; Illinois just so happened to be the team that got in the way of the speeding bus.

Second, to compare this year’s BCS Championship to last year’s is simply moronic. The Buckeyes were completely and totally outclassed, outhustled, outcoached and outplayed by Florida in every way shape and form in the Glendale debacle. Against LSU, they had several chances to turn the game around, but in the end, they just lost to a better team after battling hard for a full sixty minutes. This game was nowhere near as bad as the embarrassment against the Gators.

Third, the Michigan win over Florida and the Wisconsin and Michigan State performances have somehow been swept under the rug. The Badgers played Tennessee right down to the wire in a dead-even battle that just so happened to come out on the wrong side for the Big Ten. If nothing else, the game showed how there really isn’t a speed and athleticism disparity among the top teams. The Spartans, a lower division Big Ten team, played ACC No. 2 Boston College to the final moments in a loss. And, of course, Michigan got Chad Henne and Mike Hart healthy, and voile, the offense worked against the Gators.

No one’s saying the Big Ten is remotely close to being as good as the SEC right now. This year, I’d put the Big 12 number two, but in a sort of challenge, going from top to bottom, I’d take the Big Ten over the Pac 10 thanks to a better midsection, and I’d sure as heckfire put the league ahead of the ACC and the Big East. No, compared to several other teams, Ohio State probably didn’t belong in the national title based on the overall schedule, but if West Virginia had beaten Pitt or if Missouri had beaten Oklahoma, Jim Tressel would’ve likely been holding the crystal ball over his head while preparing to do future battles with the Les Miles-led Wolverines. This really wasn't a bad Ohio State team.

While we’re at it, let’s be honest here about all the outpouring of love going to the SEC for its bowl season. Georgia was terrific, no question about it, but every Big Ten bowl team would’ve beaten Hawaii. Every Big Ten bowl team, other than probably Indiana, would’ve beaten UCF (who lost to Mississippi State), a depleted Florida State (who lost to Kentucky) and Colorado (who lost to Alabama). With Arkansas mailing it in after Houston Nutt left and Darren McFadden ready to take his Escalade to the NFL, it probably would’ve lost to all the Big Ten bowl teams but Indiana and Purdue. I’d take Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan over Clemson, who lost to Auburn, but I would’ve taken the Tigers over Michigan State, Penn State, Indiana and Purdue.

On the flip side, I’d take USC, who beat Illinois, over every SEC team but LSU in the Rose Bowl, and the Trojan-Tiger game would’ve probably been a coin flip. With the way Oklahoma State came out with everything working in the Insight Bowl against Indiana, it would’ve likely beaten Mississippi State, Alabama, Arkansas and Kentucky, as would Boston College, who beat Michigan State. Yeah, all the SECers would’ve beaten Central Michigan (who lost to Purdue), but Texas A&M, who put up a mega-fight against Penn State, would’ve likely beaten most of the second-tier SEC bowl teams.

Again, I’m not saying the Big Ten is in the same ballpark as the SEC. The league just wasn’t as bad as you’re probably making it out to be.

And neither of them were against Stanford or South Carolina … It’s O.K., go to your happy place. Take a deep, cleansing breath, now another, now repeat after me: LSU is the 2007 national champion. LSU is the 2007 national champion.

Yes, LSU had two losses. Fine, if that's really your hang-up, then your national champion is either Kansas or Hawaii. Take your pick. As a guest on a show that will go nameless, it took four minutes of my life explaining to the host that Georgia and USC also lost twice.

“Roger, tell me what you want me to do?” “Bark like a dog (arf arf)... A big dog (woof woof) I know I've ranted on this before, but the process continues to be fascinating. While baseball is seen as tainted because of all the steroid and HGH abuse, no one is even asking the questions that need to be put out there when it comes to football players at all levels.

Has any reporter been able to take his lips off Brett Favre’s bum long enough to ask exactly how a player his age is able to play so many games in a row, through a slew of seemingly major injuries,
without being able to use potentially addictive pain killers or alcohol? I'm not accusing him of doing anything, I've asked several insider media types and there aren't any rumors of wrongdoing, but at least the topic has to be brought up so he can go on the record. Has anyone dared to ask how and why Terrell Owens has been such a "quick healer" considering the Andy Pettitte excuse? Is anyone pushing the envelope?

So many baseball players are now dragged through the mud after being called cheaters, but no one at any level of the national media has said boo about the NFL players, like Shawne Merriman, who've been caught in the past. Remember, “I’ve never tested positive” means absolutely nothing since current tests can't detect many of the human growth hormones, but Merriman actually got nailed for a banned substance, while most of the baseball players getting blasted right now, didn't. Eventually, someone is going to start looking into this, right? Sure, just like the media did its due diligence on that whole weapons of mass destruction thing.

Just wait. The same Hall of Fame arguments going on right now about Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens will be part of the NFL conversation within the next few years.

Aloha also means goodbye … For all of you who felt personally offended by Hawaii taking up space in one of your beloved BCS games, you might get your payback in a hurry. The program has always been hanging by a thread with almost no recruiting budget and some of the worst facilities in college football, but June Jones made it work. Now Colt Brennan has graduated, Jones if off to SMU, and star receivers Davone Bess and Ryan-Grice Mullen are jumping off the sinking ship and on to the NFL. In a clean sweep, Hawaii AD Herman Frazier was canned for not being able to keep Jones around. While Frazier has had his share of problems, he was hamstrung by Jones’s stunning insistence to not be paid in macadamia nuts and good wishes. SMU was offering Jones $2 million a year. That’s roughly Hawaii’s entire athletic budget.

That sound you heard was 11 Conference USA defensive coordinators updating their résumés … There’s no truth to the rumor that Jones finally accepted the Mustang job only after he was allowed to keep wearing those spiffy leis.

But then you wouldn’t have that all important week 17 ZZZZZZZZZZ … There’s winter, spring, summer, fall, football season, and whining about a lack of college football playoff season. Take the argument the other way. Really, outside of revenue, why do you need a playoff in the NFL? If you’re truly a playoff-head, then screw the regular season, take all 32 pro teams, have one big tournament, and then get on with your life.

This year, New England is the best team in the AFC. How do we know this? It went 16-0, beat Indianapolis in Indy, and oh yeah, it’s the number one seed.

Dallas is the best team in the NFC. How do we know this? It tied with Green Bay for the conference’s best record, beat the Packers, and oh yeah, it’s the number one seed.

New England and Dallas earned their way to the number one seeds based on what they did over an entire season. Now, anything less than a Patriot-Cowboy rematch of the regular season battle in the Super Bowl will be a fluke. The teams in the BCS had time to prepare, were fully healed, and were fresh. The beaten up, battered and bruised NFL playoff teams are shells of their true selves.

But you’d probably have to drink a Pepsi product at the national championship If you want a college football playoff, there’s one man you need to pray to: Jerry Jones. He already stepped in and helped move along (cough, tampered, cough) the Bobby Petrino to Arkansas deal, and with his new state-of-the-art stadium being built, he’s starting to lobby for the Cotton Bowl to be part of the BCS. Love Jones or hate him, he deserves credit for getting things done.

Work with me here as I look into my crystal ball. The BCS stays in place as is with the four big-money bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) with the rest of the bowl system also staying put so the schools, not the NCAA, get the money funneled through them. Jones then works out a deal to make the Cotton Bowl, in his new stadium, the national championship in a plus-one format.

How?

The Orange, Fiesta and Sugar each rotate with one getting the two highest seeded non-Big Ten and Pac 10 teams every three years, and then the other two bowls go according to the current format. The Big Ten and Pac 10, the ones basically putting the kibosh on all playoff ideas, face off in the Rose Bowl no matter what. That would 1) appease the Big Ten and Pac 10, 2) keep the cash cow rolling for all the bowls and all the schools, and 3) give the Big Ten and Pac 10 no excuse to not want a plus-one considering they'd have a huge advantage if they had the BCS No. 1 and/or No. 2 team. Watch and see how Jones works to try to make this happen.

“Get those brokers back in here. Turn those machines back on. TURN THOSE MACHINES BACK ONNNNN!” … O.K., NOW who wins the Heisman? Tim Tebow wasn’t bad against Michigan, but he wasn’t fantastic and his team lost. Also, that 20 rushing TD, 20 passing TD thing loses most its luster after Central Michigan’s Dan LeFevour also hit the mark. Darren McFadden wasn’t bad against Missouri, but the Tigers’ Tony Temple was the star of the game. Chase Daniel didn’t do anything, and groundskeepers were still scooping up parts of Colt Brennan of the Superdome hours after the loss to Georgia.

Just like Brennan, and not Troy Smith, likely would’ve won the 2006 Heisman after the bowls, and Vince Young certainly would’ve won it over Reggie Bush after 2005 was over, it’s unlikely Tebow would’ve won after this year’s bowl season. My guess for what the Heisman race would’ve been like in a redo (remember, you still have to take the regular season into account): 1) Pat White, QB West Virginia, 2) Tim Tebow, QB Florida, 3) Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas, 4) Graham Harrell, QB Texas Tech, 5) Chase Daniel, QB Missouri

“For the record, if HBO puts you up in a hotel, they do not pay for your porn.” …
No more whining and crying by the schools about barely breaking even, or possibly losing money, by going to a bowl game. If you want to turn a profit, don’t bring the band and dancer types. Then you'd save a ton on transportation, food, shelter, and “incidentals.” Basically, treat the game like you would any other road trip and you'll be fine. If you want to reward everyone involved in the program, and if you want the feel of a big game by bringing everyone, then by all means do it. Just don’t beef about the bottom line.

Yeah, that one flute is really doing a lot of good … I always get hammered when I say anything remotely negative about the bands, and I come from a relatively accomplished musical family so I know the work that goes into being at that level, but I’m sorry, there isn't a need for a marching band version of Stairway to Heaven. There’s a reason everyone goes to get a hot dog and throw a whiz at halftime. Bands are for home games as part of the college football tradition, but during bowl games, the networks would be far better served to run more halftime ads and cut down the breaks during the game than letting us in on the jazzed up version of Hot Stuff.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength
Ten of random musings, thoughts, prayers, wishes, and favorite moments during the bowl season.

10. Ma Donovan & Pa Carr
The two best reactions of the bowl season came within minutes of each other. ESPN kept cutting to shots of Wisconsin QB Tyler Donovan’s parents after every huge hit. Finally, the boo-yas were bitten in the butt for exploiting the moment when Donovan’s mom clearly mouthed the word “sh**” when her son got his leg twisted up and was writhing in pain. My favorite look of the entire bowl season was on the face of Lloyd Carr as Florida came out to the middle of the field before the Capital One Bowl and started stomping on the logo. Carr, coaching his final game, had a bemused grin that basically said, “I’m retiring and you’re doing this? Whatever.”

9. Play next year’s quarterback
If you're not happy with your bowl and are looking for a big improvement the following year, why play the senior quarterback for the entire game? Why not play next year’s starter and get him some work under pressure so he can hit the ground running? California got a huge day out of Kevin Riley, who stepped in when the team dying and completed 16 of 19 passes for 269 yards and three touchdowns, and ran four times for 17 yards and a score, in the win over Air Force. Auburn did a perfect job of blending in the new with the old as Kodi Burns ran well and got the overtime winner against Clemson.
8. You expect miracles every year?
The Boise State win over Oklahoma in last year’s Fiesta Bowl took on even more significance with many looking for the same magic from an underdog like Hawaii against Georgia. What’s been lost in the translation, and the way the game has by mythologized, was how it took one of the greatest called games of all-time with everything working the right way for the upset to occur. Once OU woke up and started trying, the Broncos pulled off miraculous play after miraculous play, and every trick in the bag to win, and they still needed overtime to do it. There will never be a game like that again, and it’s too much to ask for anyone to come up with a repeat. That includes Boise State, who lost to East Carolina in the Hawaii Bowl

7. America’s greatest fears might be realized
Georgia, Florida, LSU, Auburn; the SEC is loaded for bear going into next year with the top teams picking each other off. Remember, you have to go back to 1998 Tennessee to find an unbeaten national champion from the SEC. Brace yourself. Oklahoma’s road games are at Washington, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. That’s not all that bad. Meanwhile, if USC needs time to jell, and/or Pete Carroll is coaching the Atlanta Falcons, a loaded Ohio State team could pull off the upset in Los Angeles. The Buckeyes will have the Big Ten’s best team by far and should run the table if they’re good enough to beat the Trojans. Just imagine the general grumpiness and the articles that would come out if it’s Ohio State vs. Oklahoma in Miami for the national title.

6. Rich Rodriguez

You wanted a change Michigan fans, and boy will you get one. Rodriguez said all the right things about knowing how to coach the talent in place and about how West Virginia threw the ball when it had good passers. And then last year’s superstud QB recruit and the main man going into this year, Ryan Mallett, decided to transfer, while top receivers Adrian Arrington and Mario Manningham decided to leave for the NFL a year early. This should be a very, very interesting spring in Ann Arbor.

5. Florida State's heart
Lost in all the self-righteous rhetoric from many who claimed the academic scandal at Florida State tarnished Bobby Bowden’s legacy was a whale of a performance from the guys who didn’t cheat on an exam. With no depth and half a team going against Kentucky, the Noles played their guts out in a tough Music City Bowl loss. The Wildcats should’ve won in a walk, but FSU battled down to the final play.

4. Closed caption
For those hard of hearing, and those who might work out while watching games with the closed captioning on, there’s always fun to be had seeing which names don’t translate well in the flow of a game. There’s a group of die-hard college football fans who have a regular e-mail chain going when the best mistakes come up. Ever since I was shown this I’ve been waiting for my first one of note, and I finally got it. Apparently, the University of Wisconsin, the place of brats, cheese, and Parthenon’s Gyros, is coached by Brett Bulimia.

3. Every coach is a recruiter
For every coaching change, the buzzwords were all the same for all the teams playing without their former leader … (Insert former coach here) is gone from (insert school here), and now there’s hope for the program as (insert new coach here) takes over bringing a new energy and a new vision to the team. Along with his innovative offense, he’s known as a great recruiter and will challenge the top teams for all the top talent.

2. Two out of three ain’t bad
Ricky Jean-Francois, the next-great LSU defensive lineman, was suspended for the regular season but came up with a great game against Ohio State. When asked on the winner's podium on the Fox broadcast about his season, the repentant sophomore stated, “I appreciate my school, my football and my family. I ain’t going to take it for granted no more.” And somewhere, an LSU professor temporarily lost his buzz.

1. The bowl season didn’t suck
Pooh-pooh the matchups all you want, and the children are right to laugh at the BCS, Ralph, but this wasn’t that bad a bowl season. There wasn’t the all-timer of a game that’ll be remembered two weeks from now, but it’s hard to argue with how things turned out overall when Utah beat Navy by three, BYU needed a blocked field goal to beat UCLA by one, East Carolina beat Boise State and Purdue beat Central Michigan on walk-off field goals, Boston College held on to beat Michigan State by three, TCU needed a sack to snuff out a final Houston drive deep in Horned Frog territory to win by seven, Oregon State-Maryland, Mississippi State-UCF, Kentucky-Florida State, and Penn State-Texas A&M were each decided by a touchdown, Alabama-Colorado and Cal-Air Force were each decided by six points, Auburn beat Clemson in overtime, Tennessee picked off a Wisconsin pass in the end zone to win by four, Michigan held on to beat Florida in a fun 41-35 shootout, Texas Tech roared back in the final minutes to beat Virginia on a last second field goal, and Kansas beat Virginia Tech by three. While the games might not have always produced riveting 60-minute theater, and they might not have always been played on the highest level, 17 of the 32 bowls decided by seven points or fewer as opposed to 12 last year, 16 in 2005 and 12 in 2004.

C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world
1) Overrated: DeMarcus Granger in a Burlington Coat Factory ... Underrated: 349 West Virginia rushing yards
2) Overrated: Ty Willingham, President of the American Football Coaches Association … Underrated: Monster.com
3) Overrated: Oakland Raider head coach Lane Kiffin ... Underrated: USC Trojan head coach Lane Kiffin
4) Overrated: What's the difference between Georgia, USC ... ... Underrated: ... and Jamie Lynn Spears? The Trojans and Bulldogs didn't get screwed.
5) Overrated: The GMAC and International Bowls ... Underrated: Eating a full dinner with a huge dessert, and then hitting the Chipotle to redeem a free burrito coupon because it's about to expire.

Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault …
it's the end of the season and I have a list of about 714 things I'm supposed to do now that my Saturdays are free. As always, thanks for actually reading my weekly pile of schlock and for all the feedback, comments and threats of bodily harm. (Cue the staged-sincere Hillary tears). For those who threw the kind words and thoughts my way, and to all the loyal readers of the site, I'm truly honored. Stay handsome.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Oklahoma's Kelly jumping to Draft

Posted: Thursday January 10, 2008 6:06PM; Updated: Thursday January 10, 2008 6:31PM

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.
"We're excited for Malcolm and his family," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement issued Thursday. "He was an outstanding player in our program and we appreciate all of his efforts."
Kelly said he discussed his options with his family and several friends who are playing in the NFL before making the decision.
"OU and the coaches there gave me the best opportunity to reach the pro level," Kelly said. "Going to OU was really the thing that put me in the position to be able to make this decision."
The Longview, Texas, native was the second-leading receiver this season in catches, yards and touchdowns with 49 receptions for 821 yards and nine touchdowns.
As a sophomore last season, Kelly had 62 catches for 992 yards and 10 touchdowns.
His 21 career touchdown receptions ranks second all-time at Oklahoma behind Mark Clayton, who had 30 catches during his career.

Wyoming signs juco quarterback

"I really enjoyed the coaching staff, and I know I am going to have an opportunity to come in and compete to play right away. That was very important to me," Crum said of his decision to join the Cowboys.

Crum will have the opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job at Wyoming this spring under new Cowboy offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Bob Cole.

Understatements of the off-season so far. If this guy knows who's on his team he should win this job. Not really sure of the kid's past, but if he's decent then that's a great grab by WYO as their largest weakness this year was at the QB position.

We Hardly Knew Ye: Jonathan Stewart; Vernon Gholston; Their Unholy Guns
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 07:32:03 PM EDT

If Jonathan Stewart and Vernon Gholston contributed nothing else to college football in the last three years, they did at least redefine the going standard for excellence in the field of rippling, vein-popping biceps:
stewartfq6.jpg
gholston1.jpg

Each man is clearly just that: a man, a roaring John Henry of a man with a more fruitful outlet, and has been from the moment he arrived on campus. Stewart, especially, was a near-fully-formed gem of a prospect, nabbed by Oregon's be-swooshed mesh recuiting net out of the seedy but lucrative underground bear-wrestling circuit of backwoods Tennessee and arriving to fulfill visions of a back so thunderous and yet so fleet that, in the Ducks' ludicrous space age getup, he might seem barely human at all. This was true, at times, and could be seen as early as his first game as a freshman:

<object height="305" width="375">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h2yKRVAHItU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="305" width="375"></object> Stewart didn't play much that season and fell off the map in the second half of 2005 after a roaring start, but his presence of absence was an integral part of the offenses' success: Oregon was 9-2 over the last two seasons when he ran the ball 20 times in a game - both losses late in the year, after the crushing loss of backfield mate Dennis Dixon to an ACL injury - and 12-3 when he ran for 100 yards, niether of which happened often enough because of assorted minor injuries; UO was just 4-8 when Stewart was held under 100 yards, three of those wins against Houston, Fresno State and Portland State. </p>
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="300"> <caption align="top">Jonathan Stewart, This Is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Att.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Att.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">53</td> <td align="center">188</td> <td align="center">3.5</td> <td align="center">6</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="center">6.4</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">183</td> <td align="center">981</td> <td align="center">5.4</td> <td align="center">10</td> <td align="center">20</td> <td align="center">7.2</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">280</td> <td align="center">1,722</td> <td align="center">6.2</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">22</td> <td align="center">6.6</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">516</td> <td align="center">2,891</td> <td align="center">5.6</td> <td align="center">27</td> <td align="center">49</td> <td align="center">6.8</td> <td align="center">4</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Without knowing Stewart or his commitment to self improvement, it's easy to think his dominant, 253-yard finale against a previously very good South Florida defense in the Sun Bowl was a potential turning point in his decision to leave school - as a junior, he'd been nicked and tanked along with the team over the second half of the season, and though he remained the focal point of the offense, his production had clearly taken a hit with Dixon's absence; Stewart averaged 7.1 yards per carry over the first seven games of the regular season, and 4.2 per carry over the last five, mirroring his slide as a sophomore and his team's. His talent alone virtually guaranteed a first round projection, but the strong finish individually and as part of a rejuvenated team is not such a bad way to go.
Not that Vernon Gholston would know much about great finishes, his Buckeyes having taken it on the chin in two straight, high-profile championship losses. Prior to each, though Gholston has been every bit the beefed-up terror his physique suggests:

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="300"> <caption align="top">Vernon Gholston, This Is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Tackles</td> <td align="center">For Loss</td> <td align="center">Sacks</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">35</td> <td align="center">15.0</td> <td align="center">8.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">31</td> <td align="center">15.5</td> <td align="center">14</td> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">66</td> <td align="center">30.5</td> <td align="center">22.5</td> </tr> </tbody></table> That will make him a first round pick, and even SEC partisans (even those who will willingly forget the pair of throw-aways Gholston forced Monday night by pwning the Tigers' right tackle, the latter resulting in an intentional grounding and a sack in the books) can't accuse him of racking up stats against weak competition*: he alone piled up four of the Buckeyes' ten sacks against Wisconsin and dominated Michigan's tackles - both young Steve Schilling and certain top five pick Jake Long - en route to three sacks against Chad Henne, about which staunch Michigan chronicler Brian Cook moaned after charting every one of them:
  • Argh! Gholston! That guy has got to be on roids.
    Protection: 40/55. Schilling -12, Long -3.
    Awful, and every minus received was because of Gholston.
    - - -
Re: roids - maybe. But this is not baseball, Vernon - Congress doesn't care, and it's only a four-game suspension. If you get caught. Also Turning Pro: Darren McFadden has made no noises about his long-assumed jump to the next level, but backfield mate/big play addict Felix Jones will hold the entire state of Arkansas hostage over the weekend until he announces his decision to stay or go Monday. Meanwhile, I'd like to know who's willing to take a chance on this guy: 6-foot 3-inch, 225 pound kicker Troy Van Blarcom of Kansas Wesleyan, who told a reporter, "School just isn't for me." The unprecedented combination of size, name, school, position and confidence to throw his name into the hat a year early despite the latter two obstacles makes him worth a sixth rounder at worst. (Note: I am aware Van Blarcom transferred to Kansas Wesleyan from USC after failing to make his grades. Don't ruin the myth).

Hope to replace Purdue's Tiller in '09

Posted: Friday January 11, 2008 4:13PM; Updated: Friday January 11, 2008 4:38PM

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) -- Purdue coach Joe Tiller will retire after next season and be replaced by new associate head coach Danny Hope.
Hope will be signed to a six-year contract, with the final five as head coach, the university said Friday. His appointment as head coach must be ratified by the board of trustees.
"This is a great day for Purdue football," Tiller said. "We are excited about the 2008 season and beyond. Danny is the perfect choice to take over this program."
The move to replace Tiller had been expected, and resembles the way the university replaced longtime basketball coach Gene Keady with Matt Painter after the 2004-05 season.
Hope was 35-22 in five winning seasons at Eastern Kentucky. He was an offensive line coach on Tiller's staffs at Wyoming and then Purdue, before leaving the Boilermakers after the 2001 season. In 2007, Hope led the Colonels to a 9-3 record and the Ohio Valley Conference title and was a Football Championship Subdivision Regional Coach of the Year.
Tiller came to Purdue from Wyoming in 1997 and has a record of 83-54 with the team, one win short of the record mark set by Jack Mollenkopf in 1956-69.
"I'm looking forward to being on coach Tiller's staff again," Hope said. "The years I spent at Purdue were some of the greatest of my coaching life."
Under Tiller, the Boilermakers made 10 bowl appearances in 11 years. The high point came in 2000 when Drew Brees led the team to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1967 and was third in the Heisman Trophy voting.

Six undergo surgery since Holiday Bowl, may miss spring drills

Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
Six Longhorn football players have had surgery in recent days and are likely to miss spring practice, the team’s trainer said in a statement today.
The six represent a who’s who of players expected to be key contributors this season:
— Linebacker Sergio Kindle underwent surgery to repair cartilage in his right knee.
— Defensive end Eddie Jones had surgery on his left shoulder.
— Defensive end Aaron Lewis had a broken right clavicle.
— Safety Ishie Oduegwu had surgery on his left shoulder.
— Offensive tackle Adam Ulatoski had left knee surgery.
— Receiver Montre Webber, the only player on the list not to have seen significant playing time in 2007, had surgery to repair a fracture in his right foot.
Trainer Kenny Boyd said no timetable has been set for any of the six but he expects a full recovery from each.
Texas brings spring practice on Feb. 22. The spring game will be March 29.

Things that have happened to Clemson since I changed my avatar to the Paw

1. Lost to Auburn in OT of the Peach Bowl
2. Heartbreaking loss in OT to UNC
3. James Davis declares for the draft
4. B-ball team loses to UNC-Charlotte
5. Phillip Merling declares for the draft

Time for a change

We Hardly Knew Ye: Darren McFadden
By SMQ
Posted on Sat Jan 12, 2008 at 06:00:23 PM EDT

It’s all a formality, of course, so whether or not Darren McFadden’s father submitted paperwork to the NFL earlier this week to enter his son in the draft, as “learned” today by ESPN, or whether he didn’t, as McFadden Sr. told the AP, at no point in the past year has anyone threatened to replace the Arkansas star as the top running back in this draft, and possibly the top player at any position. In the pantheon of platonic running back ideals, McFadden was chiseled by the ancient Greeks alongside Jim Brown, Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson and brought to life by some dark Ozarkan magic. One more time, let him blow your mind (the jaw drops around 2:45):

<object height="305" width="345">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Q4oOJQHQBg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="305" width="345"></object></p> For the record:

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <caption align="top">Darren McFadden, This Is Your College Career</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Att.</td> <td align="center">Yards</td> <td align="center">Yds./Att.</td> <td align="center">TD</td> <td align="center">Rec.</td> <td align="center">Yds./Rec.</td> <td align="center">Rec. TD</td> <td align="center">Pass TD</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2005</td> <td align="center">176</td> <td align="center">1,113</td> <td align="center">6.3</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">14</td> <td align="center">3.7</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2006</td> <td align="center">284</td> <td align="center">1,647</td> <td align="center">5.8</td> <td align="center">14</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">13.5</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">4</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">2007</td> <td align="center">325</td> <td align="center">1,830</td> <td align="center">5.6</td> <td align="center">16</td> <td align="center">21</td> <td align="center">7.8</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">3</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Career</td> <td align="center">785</td> <td align="center">4,590</td> <td align="center">5.9</td> <td align="center">41</td> <td align="center">46</td> <td align="center">7.9</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">7</td> </tr> </tbody></table> McFadden is easily the most prolific runner in Arkansas history, passed Kevin Faulk’s conference-best four-year rushing mark in the Cotton Bowl and with another healthy season would have easily smashed the only career rushing numbers still in front of him in SEC history, Herschel Walker’s 5,259 yards and 49 touchdowns. Not that any statistics really do justice to the best combination of size, speed, power and violence of the era. Raiders fans want him. Falcons fans want him. Dolphins fans have already put him in a Miami uniform. His car is pimped. He got that wood. And only SEC defensive coordinators can pretend they’re sorry to see him leaving school.
Pig sooie, amazingly fast sir. Pig sooie.
Also Declaring Early: USC guard Chilo Rachal, one of the many key Trojan injuries for part of the season, called his father from an "unspecified location" Thursday to tell Chilo Sr. he was going pro, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the fifth round. Elsewhere, it was a good day for future free agents: Louisville linebacker Lamar Myles, Florida State defensive tackle Letroy Guion and Middle Tennessee State tackle Franklin Dunbar all declared their intentions to enter the lottery today, though none are expected to actually be drafted.

Steve Slaton Says Goodbye West Virginia Hello NFL

Posted Jan 13th 2008 5:44PM by John Radcliff
Filed under: West Virginia Football, Big East, NFL Prospects, West Virginia
devine-slaton.jpg
Steve Slaton announced today that he will forgo his final year at West Virginia and enter the NFL draft. In some respects, this is a sad day for Mountaineer fans as Slaton along with Pat White ushered in an unparalleled stretch of success at West Virginia. Before Slaton and White, West Virginia had only had one 11 win season. Behind the dynamic tandem (I thought about using duo, but come on), the Mountaineers had three 11 win seasons in a row.

Being a Mountaineer fan, this does come as a bit of a shock to me. This year was probably his least productive as a runner. A lot of that has to do with the guy he's standing next to in that picture, Noel Devine. Also, the focus of the offense had shifted more towards Pat White running and throwing the ball. But beyond all that, Steve didn't seem like Steve this year. There weren't nearly as many big plays as in the two previous years. And there seemed like there was a lot more of him running for no gain. But after his first two years, there probably wasn't a defensive coordinator on the West Virginia schedule that didn't say, "let's stop Slaton and see if we can make them one dimensional."

Another reason this is a shock to me is that there are quite a few quality backs in this years draft already. And it would seem that he would have a much better chance of being a higher draft pick if he could wait another year. But now that I think about it, this is a guy that has made a habit of coming out of nowhere. Raise your hand if you knew who he was before the 2006 Sugar Bowl. Put your hands down Mountaineer fans. So maybe if he gets on with the right team, he could have a real shot at a starting job. But most likely he's going to be a specialty back considering his size. I don't doubt his heart, after playing most of his career with a broken bone in his wrist. But heart seems to be the least important thing when it comes to draft day, cough cough Mike Mamula cough cough. So he will need to impress some folks at the combine.

slaton really should of stayed, i am unsure devine can carry the load now. Unless they recruited another who runs a 4.3 40.

I wonder why slaton wants to go pro, since most of the suporting cast is comming back.

These kids are just jumping of riches. Honestly, if you're a running back, you should probably stay in school. This is an extremely deep draft for running backs.

These kids are just jumping of riches. Honestly, if you're a running back, you should probably stay in school. This is an extremely deep draft for running backs.

I agree every year, every position in the draft is getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Also, it's no secret that back like slaton are interchangeable and can be used for 4,5, or 6 years then get another. My previous statement does not include premier backs only the mediocre ones. :cheers:

By the way RJ, this thread is really good for the offseason, i need something to keep my spirits up during baseball season.

So this is how Tennessee recruits...Smoking blunts in cars

<OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=contentheadlines.swf?h1=Two+Vols+cited+after+traffic+stop+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>
Volquest.com staff
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The General's Quarters

Two Tennessee football players were cited on Friday night for simple possession of marijuana as they hosted a recruit on an official visit.

Gerald Jones was driver of a car which was stopped for a burnt out light. According to the report, officers smelled marijuana as the approached the Dodge Magnum

Officers received consent to search the car and found marijuana cigars inside the car including one which was partially smoked.

The passengers in the car were redshirt freshman receiver Ahmad Paige, redshirt offensive lineman William Brimfield and Muskogee, Oklahoma wide receiver Jameel Owens. Owens was in town for his official visit.

Jones and Paige were both cited for simple possession (a misdemeanor) and Jones was cited for not wearing a seat belt as well as the burnt out light.

Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer is going to issue a statement later today.

This is strictly a rumor, but there might be something to it.

Hunter Cantwell went to U of L to play for Petrino. It's not inconceiveable that he ends up at Arkansas to start at QB next season.

Cantwell graduated from Louisville this December I believe. Because he has one more year of eligibility, he should be able to transfer and start immediately if he takes grad school classes in Fayetteville.

Anyone else hear anything about this? It came from a pretty decent source back home when I was there at Christmas-time...

This is strictly a rumor, but there might be something to it.

Hunter Cantwell went to U of L to play for Petrino. It's not inconceiveable that he ends up at Arkansas to start at QB next season.

Cantwell graduated from Louisville this December I believe. Because he has one more year of eligibility, he should be able to transfer and start immediately if he takes grad school classes in Fayetteville.

Anyone else hear anything about this? It came from a pretty decent source back home when I was there at Christmas-time...

did they not get rid of that graduate transfer rule?

I couldn't find anything on the L-Ville message boards

Laurinitus has decided to return for senior year...

of the 6 that had decisions, Gholston only one that jumped...a rarity of late for the Buckeyes...finally some senior leadership..

Gholston declared, Jenkins/Laurinitus/Boone/Freeman/Roboskie all return.

Thanks for posting here guys. Keep it coming.

NCAA willing to study D-I tourney

Posted: Monday January 14, 2008 8:31PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 8:31PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- University of Georgia president Michael Adams presented his proposal for an eight-team playoff to the NCAA Division I board of directors Monday in Nashville and they decided to study the issue with others before making any moves.
James Barker, chairman of the board and the president of Clemson, called the talks candid and constructive. But he said the directors believe the discussion should include presidents at the conference level and the committee overseeing the Bowl Championship Series.
The board also wants a task force announced last month by NCAA President Myles Brand to study issues over the use of student likenesses' to expand its review and study commercialization as it relates to postseason football.
The task force hasn't been named, and there's no timeline for a report to the board.
Adams announced his proposal for an eight-team playoff for the Football Bowl Subdivision using the BCS games following years of opposition to a playoff. He unveiled his proposal on Jan. 8, hours after LSU won the BCS national championship game.
His playoff proposal used the Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta bowls as the opening round, leading to semifinals and a championship game. Adams said he believes the study will result in additional tweaking to the BCS system.
"It's not just me that's talking about tweaking again," said Adams, who also is chairman of the NCAA executive committee.
"It's some of my colleagues. It's the people in the conferences. It's others. I don't know if we will all get to the exact same decision."
The Division I board did approve 47 of 49 proposals Monday, including scholarship protection for athletes dealing with pregnancies, injuries or other medical conditions. That protection will take affect immediately.

Laurinaitis staying for senior year

Ohio State will return two-time All-America linebacker

Posted: Monday January 14, 2008 6:07PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 6:08PM

<table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
t1_laurinaitisNEW.jpg

James Laurinaitis recorded 18 tackles during Ohio State's loss in the BCS title game.
AP

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
advertisement_down.gif
<noscript>
</noscript>
1.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Two-time All-America linebacker James Laurinaitis said Monday he will stay at Ohio State for his senior year.
"After a long thought process and strategic evaluation of the pros and cons of this decision with my close family and friends, I've decided to stay at Ohio State," Laurinaitis said in a statement issued by the school.
Laurinaitis, a 6-foot-3, 244-pounder from Hamel, Minn., won the 2007 Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and the 2006 Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in college football.
The Big Ten defensive player of the year this past season, he set a BCS championship game record with 18 tackles vs. LSU in the Buckeyes' 38-24 loss, their second in a row in the title game.
Laurinaitis, the son of professional wrestler Animal from the Legion of Doom, led the Buckeyes with 121 tackles for the season.

Rutgers gets Greene back for 2008

Posted: Monday January 14, 2008 8:23PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 8:23PM

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Two-time All Big East safety Courtney Greene will return to Rutgers for his senior season.
"There is unfinished championship business for us to take care of here at Rutgers," Greene said Monday in announcing his plans to play and to finish work on his degree.
Greene ranks eighth in school history in career tackles with 299. He led the Scarlet Knights with 101 tackles this past season.
"I look forward to big things from Courtney as a leader both on and off the field next season," coach Greg Schiano said.

Applewhite to Interview at Texas
By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 07:45:55 PM EDT

Well, it looks like we can't put the Applewhite to Texas rumors to bed just yet:

The Tuscaloosa News has learned that University of Alabama offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Major Applewhite is expected to interview for an opening at Texas, his alma mater. Applewhite, a former standout quarterback for the Longhorns, joined Nick Saban's staff this year after becoming the youngest coordinator in Division I football at Rice in 2006.

Gut instinct? He's staying. He interviewed with Houston, too, and decided to stay put, plus Texas already has an OC and QB coach in Greg Davis, who, funnily enough, was Applewhite's QB coach. I'd be surprised if Applewhite was being courted as an OC/Playcaller and Davis is being demoted somewhere else after ten years. Applewhite has a great setup at Alabama, and unless there are tensions between him and Saban I doubt he'd jump ship for what could likely be a step backwards in his career.
Update [2008-1-14 19:52:29 by Todd]:
BON and it's ever resourceful readers are all over this, too, and have a link to an article in the Statesman saying "it's a done deal."

Major Applewhite, one of the most popular Longhorn football players in school history, has been contacted by coach Mack Brown for an opening on the UT staff. Applewhite, 29, currently is the offensive coordinator for Alabama.
The opening on Brown’s staff is for a running backs coach. Ken Rucker, who had been in charge of UT running backs for the past three seasons, was moved last week to a newly created post, directing high school relations and player development.
“I think it’s a done deal,” said a source close to Applewhite. “They wouldn’t have contacted him if they weren’t close to hiring him.”
The Tuscaloosa News also was reporting Monday that Applewhite was interviewing with the Longhorns. However, the story did not cite a source.
It’s unclear when Applewhite will interview for the job. He was recruiting for Alabama Monday. Rucker, one of UT’s top recruiters, also was on the road visiting prospects. He can stay on the road recruiting until Brown hires his replacement. National signing day is Feb. 6.

At least one of their commenters has the same reservations as I:

I have trouble believing that Applewhite would be brought in to replace GD and immediately coach the offense, but I also have trouble believing he would take a demotion a become a co-coordinator or qb coach. Unless he would be hired with a wink and a nod that he's going to take the reins soon enough, I don't really understand what his position would be. Regardless, I'm psyched.
Stay tuned.
Update [2008-1-14 21:4:28 by Todd]:
Crimson Chatter has a link to a Houston Chronicle post that thinks Applewhite will interview tomorrow (Tuesday) and an official announcement could come by Wednesday.

Antoine Caldwell is returning!!!
By Yamez Section: Diaries
Posted on Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 03:39:34 PM EDT

[editor's note, by Todd] Bumped from the diaries.
From Collegefootballtalk.com Antoine Caldwell has decided to return for his senior season.
Apparently a lot of people thought that Caldwell was going to go pro especially after the textbook scandal.
Good to see him return for another season in the Crimson and White.
Full story is at http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Source: Mallett enrolled at Arkansas

Ex-Michigan QB comes full circle in choosing Hogs

Posted: Monday January 14, 2008 4:34PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 4:46PM

1.gif
t1_mallett.jpg

Ryan Mallett left Michigan because he didn't want to play in Rich Rodriguez's offense.
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

1.gif
advertisement_down.gif
<noscript>
</noscript>
1.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>Special to SI.com, Rivals.com
Former five-star quarterback Ryan Mallett has left Michigan and is taking classes at the University of Arkansas today making his transfer official, according to sources close to the situation.
Mallett will redshirt during the 2008 season and then have three years of eligibility remaining. For Mallett, the decision to transfer to Arkansas means he has come almost full circle since high school.
Mallett grew up following the Razorbacks and attended football camps at Arkansas five years in-a-row. When Arkansas signed Mitch Mustain, also a former five-star quarterback in the class ahead of him, Mallett grew apart from Arkansas signing with the Wolverines over Nebraska, Texas, Alabama, Florida State and the Razorbacks. Mustain has since transferred to USC, and Arkansas will have a vacancy at quarterback when Mallett is eligible in 2009.
As a senior at Texas High School in Texarkana (Texas), Mallett passed for 3,353 yards and 31 touchdowns. Rivals rated him the No. 4 player in the Class of 2007, the No. 2 pro-style quarterback and No. 1 player in Texas.
Mallett played as a true freshman at Michigan this season when starter Chad Henne was injured. In 11 games, Mallett completed 61 of 141 passes for 892 yards and 7 touchdowns with 5 interceptions.
Rumors of Mallett transferring to Arkansas started almost as soon as he arrived on the Michigan campus. However, once former Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr retired and Rich Rodriguez was hired from West Virginia, it became obvious that the rumors of Mallett leaving Michigan would turn into facts. Rodriguez runs a spread offense based on a mobile quarterback, and Mallett is a pocket passer.
In addition to Arkansas, Mallett reportedly considered UCLA, Tennessee and Texas A&M before choosing Arkansas. Mallett arrived in Northwest Arkansas on Wednesday and spent much of Friday on an unofficial visit to Arkansas.

Xavier Lee leaves Florida State

Quarterback makes himself eligible for '08 NFL Draft

Posted: Monday January 14, 2008 4:07PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 5:25PM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Junior quarterback Xavier Lee has left Florida State, the latest of several early departures to hit a program already rocked by an academic scandal that will sideline more than a dozen players for the opening three games in September.
Lee, 22, was 2-4 in six starts during his Florida State career. He was suspended during the season for academic reasons and did not accompany the Seminoles to Nashville, Tenn., last month for their Music City bowl game against Kentucky.
The school also said Monday that Lee had submitted the paperwork to make himself available for the NFL draft in April.
Two of his junior classmates have chosen that route: Linebacker Geno Hayes, the team's second leading tackler, and Letroy Guion, one of the Seminoles' most talented interior defensive linemen.
Guion was credited with 31 tackles in a dozen games, including 6.5 for losses. His departure along with graduating senior Andre Fluellen leaves the Seminoles without its two most experienced interior linemen going into the 2008 season. Guion was among three dozen Seminole players who missed the Dec. 31 bowl loss to Kentucky for either being involved in a test cheating scandal, poor grades, injury or the euphemistic "violating a team rule."
At 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds and gifted with a powerful throwing arm, Lee failed to reach the potential coaches and fans had hoped for during a three-year competition with Drew Weatherford.
Lee completed 155 of 402 passes for 2,323 yards, 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His best game came in a loss at Maryland in 2006 when he completed 22 of 36 passes for 286 yards and two TD's with no interceptions.
He replaced Weatherford in a scoreless game against Alabama on Sept. 29 to lead the Seminoles to a 21-14 victory, throwing for 224 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
Sophomore tight end Charlie Graham transferred to nearby Tallahassee Community College where he hopes to graduate by August and later rejoin the team.

Justin King Is Going Pro

Posted Jan 14th 2008 1:13PM by Tom Fornelli
Filed under: Penn State Football, Big 10, NFL Prospects
Steve Slaton and Darren McFadden weren't the only juniors who decided to skip their senior seasons and enter the NFL draft this weekend, as Penn State is going to lose a key member of their secondary as well.

A day before the deadline for juniors to declare, the Nittany Lions officially learned that cornerback Justin King is going pro.
"Justin's happy with his decision," [Justin's stepfather Terry] Smith said. "He just felt like he was ready for the next phase of his life. He did the same thing when he graduated from high school early and went to Penn State."​
This move wasn't unexpected. King already received his degree back in December, and going into the season he was widely viewed as one of the best cover corners in college football. Justin struggled a bit this season thanks to a shoulder injury that bothered him all season, but he still managed to be named a first team All-Big Ten selection despite the drop off in his performance.

Unfortunately for Justin, this past season is still going to cost him some money. Word amongst NFL scouts is that Justin's play this season knocked him down from being a for sure first-round pick to most likely a early to mid second round selection.

Either way, he's not going to be easy to replace in Happy Valley.

ACC Auditing: No Offense
By SMQ
Posted on Tue Jan 15, 2008 at 06:53:54 PM EDT

Matt Ryan got a lot of hype en route to winning ACC Offensive Player of the Year. Well, so what?

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Big 12</td> <td align="center">Big East</td> <td align="center">Big Ten</td> <td align="center">SEC</td> <td align="center">Pac Ten</td> <td align="center">ACC</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Yds./Game</td> <td align="center">444.6</td> <td align="center">401.0</td> <td align="center">401.3</td> <td align="center">385.9</td> <td align="center">395.2</td> <td align="center">348.9</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Avg. Ntl. Rank (Total O)</td> <td align="left">35</td> <td align="left">53</td> <td align="left">53.1</td> <td align="left">63.8</td> <td align="left">58.4</td> <td align="left">87.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Pts./Game</td> <td align="center">33.4</td> <td align="center">30.7</td> <td align="center">28.8</td> <td align="center">30.3</td> <td align="center">28.6</td> <td align="center">24.9</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Avg. Ntl. Rank (Scoring O)</td> <td align="left">37.1</td> <td align="left">46.3</td> <td align="left">54.2</td> <td align="left">51.9</td> <td align="left">56.8</td> <td align="left">77.6</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Yds./Play</td> <td align="center">5.97</td> <td align="center">5.69</td> <td align="center">5.53</td> <td align="center">5.49</td> <td align="center">5.39</td> <td align="center">5.02</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Yds./Pass</td> <td align="center">7.3</td> <td align="center">7.5</td> <td align="center">6.9</td> <td align="center">6.8</td> <td align="center">6.7</td> <td align="center">6.7</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Yds./Rush</td> <td align="center">4.4</td> <td align="center">4.3</td> <td align="center">4.4</td> <td align="center">4.4</td> <td align="center">4.2</td> <td align="center">3.5</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Teams > 400 yds./Gm.</td> <td align="center">8</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="center">7</td> <td align="center">5</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">2</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Teams < 350 yds./Gm.</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">3</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">2</td> <td align="center">8</td> </tr> </tbody></table> This is not about Ryan, a quarterback I really like in spite of his overrated-ness. It’s about the stunning lack of offense in the ACC at large, which is tremendously buoyed in the chart above by Boston College and Clemson, the only two offenses in the league that finished in the top half of the country in total offense. The ACC was the only conference whose teams collectively averaged less than 350 yards per game, or come close; the only conference whose teams collectively averaged less than 25 points per game, or come close; the only conference whose teams collectively failed to top four yards per carry, or come close; the only conference whose teams collectively were more likely to finish in the bottom 25 nationally in total offense than in the top half, or come close. A majority of teams in the Big 12, Big East and Big Ten averaged more than 400 yards per game, and in every other conference except the SEC at least twice as many teams averaged more than 400 as averaged less than 350; in the ACC, four times as many teams finished below the 350-yard threshold as topped 400 per game. Without B.C. and Clemson, not a single offense in the league would have matched the standard of ‘mediocre’ in any other conference.
Why? If I was an ACC partisan, I’d say it was because the conferences defenses are so terrific – if you reverse the numbers to measure the defensive side of the ball instead, the ACC would look like a bastion of traditional backbone and discipline in a sea of wide open gimmickry, and we could just as easily rip the Big 12 for being so forgiving to its offenses. That’s a pretty valid criticism.
The defenses didn’t hold up as well when they left the conference, though: Miami allowed 51 points to Oklahoma; Virginia allowed 23 points to Wyoming, more than the Cavs allowed to six ACC opponents and four more than the anemic Cowboys averaged the rest of the season; Georgia Tech allowed 31 to Georgia and 40 to Fresno State; North Carolina allowed 34 to East Carolina and 37 to South Florida; and the best defense in the league, belonging to champion Virginia Tech, allowed 48 points to LSU in September and 24 to Kansas in the Orange Bowl, a touchdown worse than the Hokies’ season average even including the LSU debacle. This isn’t the totality of the ACC’s out-of-conference performance, but it proves the point: against other BCS conference offenses, and occasionally against non-BCS conference offenses, the defenses were just average, and are not to be given too much credit for the huge disparity in offensive fireworks.
In October, I looked at Virginia’s seemingly inexplicable success – after equally improbable runs by Maryland and Wake Forest in 2006 – and described the league as “college football's most NFL-like environment, where the line between measured competence and rank mediocrity is virtually nonexistant,” and run-first risk aversion – right up the alley of Al Groh, Chan Gailey, and coaches who embrace an old school “defense and special teams” mantra – rules the day. Virginia and Wake Forest have prevailed with a stupendous number of razor-thin margins the last two years, and in that sense, lacking the tools and/or the mindset to score a lot of points does have one benefit:

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <caption align="top">Margin of Victory in Conference Games</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Big East</td> <td align="center">ACC</td> <td align="center">Big Ten</td> <td align="center">SEC</td> <td align="center">Pac Ten</td> <td align="center">Big 12</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Avg. MOV</td> <td align="center">14.4</td> <td align="center">13.4</td> <td align="center">14.0</td> <td align="center">12.9</td> <td align="center">15.1</td> <td align="center">19.6</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">MOV < 8 pts.</td> <td align="center">16</td> <td align="center">22</td> <td align="center">19</td> <td align="center">21</td> <td align="center">17</td> <td align="center">12</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">% of All Games</td> <td align="center">57.1</td> <td align="center">45.8</td> <td align="center">43.2</td> <td align="center">42.8</td> <td align="center">37.8</td> <td align="center">26.7</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Almost no conference was better at producing close finishes, or had more parity top-to-bottom. So, you ask: which of these themes was ultimately the more dominant – lackluster-at-best offense or tight, to-the-wire finishes?
acc_championship_game_crowd_view_2007_empty_stadium_jacksonville_altel_acc_sucks_sux.jpg

I dunno.

Back