The effect of blowing a 20pt lead

Blue_Chip

Money Addict
I want to ask the forum about this topic. I was at the gym watching the game when I began talking to a guy about the Spurs/Lakers series. We got to talking and we had differing views on Gm2. I want to see what the forum has to say ...
  1. Bet the Spurs in Gm2 because they kept it close and will be looking for revenge after blowing a 20pt lead.
  2. Bet the Lakers in Gm2 because they kept their composure and erased a 20pt deficit in the 2H while Kobe had only two points at half.
What are your thoughts?

Number 2 yeah IMO.....I really think the value is on ovah game 2...w/ that clunk fest..

I think the series can still be 2-2 back in L.A. in two weeks..

If there's any team that can mentally overcome what happened tonight it's San Antonio. They may actually be the only team in the league that can.

The truth is they only need to win one in LA to take home court away from the Lakers, they know that, and LA expended a ton of energy to come back tonight.

That said, mentally this is tough. SA is a plodding team and I'm sure they'll plod right along, but what a shot to the nuts this has to be.

I actually think you might get an overconfident Laker team in the next game. However, I don't know if I'll play it one way or another.

honestly i don't think LAL expended the energy tonight...it was just a couple made shots and a few stops...

It would seem that way Joe but watching the game the Spurs expended a shit ton more than LaLa.

Frankly, I hate both these teams. But I put a small play on the Spurs to win the series so I'd have preferred they not blow this lead tonight. F**kers.

honestly i don't think LAL expended the energy tonight...it was just a couple made shots and a few stops...

It would seem that way Joe but watching the game the Spurs expended a shit ton more than LaLa.

to me it never really felt like a 20 pt lead but the Lakers like the Hornets were good at coming back down big in games especially at home :shake:

What also makes Game Two tough to bet is that neither the Lakers nor the Spurs have lost a home game to the other team all season long.

Fish and Odom didnt do shit so I think we will see good things from both next game.

ALso Farmar can play in this series he can matchup he isnt a liability like he was in the utah series so seeing him do some alright thing was a nice sign.

agreed TB....Odom has been outta his mind all postseason and he was a garbage pail 2night.

yeah you can say Odom was dude to have a bad game

if you noticed he missed like 2-3 easy buckets in the 1st 5 min so I think he will stay agressive and keep going to the hoop.

Love his confidence at the FT line as of late

The guys on inside said it best. It's one loss, all there is to it. You can't put much to that and we have already seen that already in the playoffs as a whole. To count the Spurs out is a mistake. I think Lakers win this series and I personally think they win the next game as well but I don't discount the Spurs AT ALL.

Less experienced teams would hurt for looking back & seeing it as a win that went begging. The Spurs are mentally experienced enough to know its simply a loss. My concern for the Spurs competing in game 2 would be LA weren't crash hot for any length of time in that game - what happens when they are for a full game? surely they (LA) wont head to San An without putting together 1 decent go-to-woe home effort (both their previous game 2s this p.s. have been pretty comprehensive).

I think when the Lakers play as a team and play well they're 10 points better than SA. They're simply faster and quicker.

But SA is more experienced and smarter, perhaps better coached as well, so that's how they have to win.

see what you guys dont see is that the Lakers beat the Spurs at their own game.

Lakers dont want to play in the 80's at a slowed down half court pace but they were forced to cuz SA dictated the tempo, so the lakers responded by D'ing up and playin at their pace. and they beat them at it.

Lets see if the lakers can get this in the 100's next game and force the tempo cuz imho I dont think the next couple of games will be as slowed down.

Unless it will be 10+ line for the Spurs, it is Lakers with the line...
I'm a Lakers fan, but for tonight I had a bad feeling and stayed away. No chance for overconfident Lakers. They respect the Spurs and know how lucky they were to come from behind and win. I agree wtih Throw and BC. Lakers will want to play their style and will try to get one nice beating before heading to Texas. Kobe showed that he can pass and he can score, but Bowen just can't stop him right now. Manu had poor game, but Fisher and Odom were crappy as well and for Phil and his triangle offense, Odom is crucial and still they won. Lakers haven't panicked, haven't thrown the towel, they simply came back to the game and won.
I don't care if you a veteran or a rookie. Such loss hurts. Especially when you old and tired team that gave everything you had, should have won and lost. Spurs need to find not only mental strength, but physical as well.
Lakers with the line is the bet I believe...

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH rowSpan=2>Team</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Year</TH><TH colSpan=5>Regular Season</TH><TH>Post Season</TH></TR><TR><TH>G</TH><TH>W</TH><TH>L</TH><TH>Finish</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1989-90</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>.671</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Conf. Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1990-91</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>.744</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1991-92</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>.817</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1992-93</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>.695</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1993-94</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>.671</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1994-95</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>.573</TD><TD>3<SUP>rd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1995-96</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>72</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>.878</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1996-97</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>69</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>.841</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1997-98</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>62</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>.756</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>—</TH><TH>1998-99</TH><TD colSpan=6>(Did not coach)</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>1999-00</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>.817</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2000-01</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>56</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>.683</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2001-02</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>58</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>.707</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2002-03</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>.610</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2003-04</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>56</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>.683</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in NBA Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH>—</TH><TH>2004-05</TH><TD colSpan=6>(Did not coach)</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2005-06</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>.549</TD><TD>3<SUP>rd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in First Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2006-07</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>.512</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in First Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2007-08</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>.695</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Currently Coaching in Conference Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH></TH><TH>Career</TH><TD>1394</TD><TD>976</TD><TD>418</TD><TD>.700</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lakers dont want to play in the 80's at a slowed down half court pace but they were forced to cuz SA dictated the tempo, so the lakers responded by D'ing up and playin at their pace. and they beat them at it.

Lets see if the lakers can get this in the 100's next game and force the tempo cuz imho I dont think the next couple of games will be as slowed down.

:cheers:

LOL...

98-99 and 04-05 were tough years you have to admit...esp w the sun cancer aspect and the Buss daughter mighta been ragging 5 days outta each month those years...

Let's keep it real..

I want to ask the forum about this topic. I was at the gym watching the game when I began talking to a guy about the Spurs/Lakers series. We got to talking and we had differing views on Gm2. I want to see what the forum has to say ...
  1. Bet the Spurs in Gm2 because they kept it close and will be looking for revenge after blowing a 20pt lead.
  2. Bet the Lakers in Gm2 because they kept their composure and erased a 20pt deficit in the 2H while Kobe had only two points at half.
What are your thoughts?

I think it should be more like this..

1. Bet the Spurs in Gm2 because they are an experienced, well coached, veteran team that knows they still have a second chance to steal a game on the road before going back home

2. Bet the Lakers in Gm2 because the Spurs gave everything they had and still lost... a huge confidence breaker that can take alot out of a team... AND the Lakers know they got away with a win in game one and don't want to have to go through that again.

I think that we see today two battles - one in the West between the best coaches in the league and one in the East between two of the worst coaches in the league (this contest is who can do the least with the great pieces that my GM have given me)...

see, what you (and brewer ;) ) don't see is that they were not beat at their own game... the Spurs do this all the time.. they are NOT a blowout type team... no matter how far they are up, they always let up and make the games close at the end... it's very frustrating as a Spurs fan, but it's the way it is... we're used to it...

The Spurs have let many teams come from behind on them... In a sense, what you say is true, but only because EVERY team that has beat them from behind has beat them at their own game..

If they want to win this series, they HAVE TO keep it at their slow tempo... that's just the way it is with them.

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR><TH rowSpan=2>Team</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Year</TH><TH colSpan=5>Regular Season</TH><TH>Post Season</TH></TR><TR><TH>G</TH><TH>W</TH><TH>L</TH><TH>Finish</TH><TH>Result</TH></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1989-90</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>.671</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Conf. Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1990-91</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>.744</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1991-92</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>.817</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1992-93</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>.695</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1993-94</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>.671</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1994-95</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>.573</TD><TD>3<SUP>rd</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1995-96</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>72</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>.878</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1996-97</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>69</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>.841</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>CHI</TH><TH>1997-98</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>62</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>.756</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Central</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>—</TH><TH>1998-99</TH><TD colSpan=6>(Did not coach)</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>1999-00</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>.817</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2000-01</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>56</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>.683</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2001-02</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>58</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>.707</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Won NBA Championship</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2002-03</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>.610</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in Second Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2003-04</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>56</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>.683</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in NBA Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH>—</TH><TH>2004-05</TH><TD colSpan=6>(Did not coach)</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2005-06</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>.549</TD><TD>3<SUP>rd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in First Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2006-07</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>.512</TD><TD>2<SUP>nd</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Lost in First Round</TD></TR><TR><TH>LAL</TH><TH>2007-08</TH><TD>82</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>.695</TD><TD>1<SUP>st</SUP> in Pacific</TD><TD>Currently Coaching in Conference Finals</TD></TR><TR><TH></TH><TH>Career</TH><TD>1394</TD><TD>976</TD><TD>418</TD><TD>.700</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MJ and Kobe didn't hurt.. ;)

My belief is still that the play is the ovah in game 2 and I wouldn't recommend betting against the Alamo kids in the Lonestar state game trois or quatre..

i will bet ovah in game 2..

Revaluate totals in 3 and 4...

fully expect 2-2 series next weekend in Lala land.

there is another word i cant stand "every"

yea.. I'm being sarcastic in a sense... trying to say if the Lakers beat them at their own game this time, then that would mean EVERY team that has come from behind and won against them beat them at their own game as well..

the bottom line is...

you can't say it's beating them at their own game... trust me.. scoring 34 pts in the second half was NOT part of their gameplan... they just let up and started playing like crap... like they usually do with big leads.

from watching this game. i gathered this ... spurs came out like gangbusters. lakers maybe overconfident thinking san an old/tired/ripe for picking? i dunno.

game changed in 3q when pop took out bowen, kobe takes over with nobody on floor able to check him. pop shoulda took timeout when lakers cut to 8. he dont. duncan misses to ft's. lakers continue to cut into lead. then doug collins says something crazy (rare from him) that the lakers could lead going into the 4th. collins new san an was in panic mode then and lakers were live for su win. they didnt lead going into the 4th but collins was right in end. the momentum of that missed timeout and missed ft's by timmy carried into the 4th. kobe took em home tonight to a win. a win in a game san an had and will leave a bad taste for sure going into game 2 and most likely home down 0-2.

Manager's Special

nba_g_kobe_pau_412.jpg

Jeff Gross/Getty Images
Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol delivered a West finals Game 1 win.
He was "just managing the game." Kobe's awakening in the second half sunk the Spurs, J.A. Adande writes. Daily Dime | Dime TV

also, no idea where manu was tonight. age starting to be more and more a factor for him as postseason goes on perhaps.

<DL class=wide-photo style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px"><DT>
nba_g_bryant_lakers_580.jpg
<DD>Jeff Gross/Getty Images/NBAE
As the Spurs found out, not even defensive wizard Bruce Bowen can completely shut down Kobe Bryant.
</DD></DL>

kobe took em home tonight to a win.

this sounds more like it than anything else.

and yea, I'd have to agree that the spurs have to be in a real down mindset after being up by that much and watching it melt away into a loss... stings like a bitch..

although I agree with Joe that the Spurs are one of the few teams capable of being able to overcome this kind of hit and regroup, I still have to think the odds of doing it are rough.

the passing game that is crucial in this day in nfl is there for you guys in cincy. one of these years (hoping 08) you gonna luck out and that defense will come together like it did for the colts in playoffs.

hell, i stilll think you guys woulda won it all if pitt doesnt take out palmer's knee back when.

i feel the same way about cutler in denver, brees in nawlins, maybe anderson in cleveland. just need to catch lightning in a bottle on d one time ...

i like matt schuab a lot, too. but their defense is a step above those teams' tho imo.

Back