The Anthony Davis Sweepstakes

League gonna throw a curveball, if not now then in the offseason.

Crooklyn and Lakers gonna win.

I thought lavar had vanished. Welcome back.

Lavar only vanished because he's shit scared of Cramps, LeSnake could ruin this man's livelihood with a single fart.

Once Lonzo's broken jumpshot is somewhere else in the league, he'll go back to running his trap.

Risky by both ,

Celtics don’t seem deterred by him not wanting to sign long term there

If they can keep Kyrie, I would be pretty confident also. But I just don't see Ainge letting Tatum go. The guy is just going to throw a million picks at the Pelicans, and hope that they bite.

The Pels are going to be eating from Magic’s hand sooner than they expect. And then the offer will be half of what they ask now.

The Pels are going to be eating from Magic’s hand sooner than they expect. And then the offer will be half of what they ask now.

As you are a Lakers fan, let me ask you this question, paradox. Do you think Magic has any idea whatsoever what he's doing as a GM? From the outside looking in, it appears that LeBron is calling the shots.

So I'm playing devil's advocate with you here...why would LeBron want to wait to get guys he wants on the team? He's going to get the coach fired we all know...just a matter of time. I actually think New Orleans is playing their hand smart here...Lakers are the entire list of places AD wants to go to...why wouldn't you put the pressure on the LAL considering both that and the fact that LeBron is going to tell Magic to do whatever it takes to get this done?

We missed a few intervening stories, like Davis wanting to force a trade to the Lakers, and then that he'd accept a deal to the Knicks, too, and then that there are a handful of other teams he'd be willing to join long-term. Now we hear the Lakers are pessimistic he'll be traded by Thursday's deadline, and that Danny Ainge has encouraged the Pelicans to wait until the offseason.

It's enough to make your head spin like Kyrie splitting a double team, but let's hunker down in the storm shelter, ignore the pellets pinging the roof, and consider the big picture:

1. The Pelicans have no incentive to rush a deadline deal when they're effectively only negotiating with one team. Davis may consider L.A. his preferred destination, but the Pelicans are under zero obligation to oblige him. Doing so now would represent a dereliction of duty.

2. If the Pelicans decide they absolutely must have Duke forward/freak-of-nature Zion Williamson, they can't make a trade until the draft order is determined in June. Even though the Knicks own the worst record in the league and would love to pair Davis with Irving, the chance of them picking first is only 14 percent, thanks to lottery changes to disincentivize tanking.

3. Williamson aside, the Celtics still have the most to offer. Their young talent includes a potential all-NBA selection in forward Jayson Tatum, as well as athletic guard Jaylen Brown, and smaller pieces like shot blocker Robert Williams. Their draft pick haul can center around a potentially unprotected 2021 pick from the Grizzlies, who are almost certainly going to blow up their veteran core of Marc Gasol and Mike Conley, possibly stranding them in the lottery for years.

4. Forget the noise about Davis's long-term desires, which can be seen as deadline posturing by his representatives, who are motivated to force a partnership with LeBron James, their most famous client. With rumblings that Irving might renege on his promise to sign a mammoth extension this summer, Ainge has every reason to be all-in on Davis, which would be the best possible pitch he could make to his all-world point guard.

5. A lot can change in a year. Just ask Paul George, who was traded to the Thunder before free agency, and then instead of flying home to L.A., shocked the NBA by signing a long-term deal in OKC. Acquiring Davis without a guarantee of an extension would be a gamble, but since when has Ainge been afraid to gamble? He sold Kevin Garnett, and he surely believes he can sell Davis, too.

Add it all together, and about the only way Davis doesn't join the Celtics this summer is if the Knicks win the lottery (there's an 86 percent chance they don't) and deal the No. 1 pick. And there's no guarantee *that* happens when the prospect in question is considered by none other than Scottie Pippen as the best to enter the NBA since Michael Jordan. Any of the other probable lottery winners -- Phoenix, Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta -- would be more likely to build around the cost-controlled Williamson than the maxed-out Davis, especially when the latter can simply bolt in free agency next summer.

So whatever you read in the next couple of days, Celtics fans, don't fret, because here's the thing about hail: it melts. Eventually, it'll be like it was never there at all.

As you are a Lakers fan, let me ask you this question, paradox. Do you think Magic has any idea whatsoever what he's doing as a GM? From the outside looking in, it appears that LeBron is calling the shots.

So I'm playing devil's advocate with you here...why would LeBron want to wait to get guys he wants on the team? He's going to get the coach fired we all know...just a matter of time. I actually think New Orleans is playing their hand smart here...Lakers are the entire list of places AD wants to go to...why wouldn't you put the pressure on the LAL considering both that and the fact that LeBron is going to tell Magic to do whatever it takes to get this done?

I think Magic knows what he's doing. You may say he is being pressured by Lebron's age and will to win now, but if there is a thing Magic isn't, is a fool. And don't think for a second that this coaching change will be Lebron's fault. Magic and Pelinka from day one wanted to get Luke out.

And yes, the Pelicans may think they are playing the smarter hand, and rightly so. But they are gambling, make no mistake. They are counting on Ainge to put Tatum in the trade (which I strongly believe he won't.) They are counting on the Knicks getting that 1st pick. And they are counting on the fact that the Lakers offers will be there, shiny as it is now, which I HOPE it won't. I don't mind waiting until summer, but let me put this scenario out there: By summer, the Pelicans will be in the same place Indiana were with PG and the Spurs were with Kawhi. Did they get better trade offers than what the Pelicans are getting now from the Lakers? In my mind, hell no.

So why would the Pelicans risk that for a chance at Tatum? And why would Ainge put Tatum on the table, if Kyrie may be gone, and AD saying he won't re-sign there?

Let the dice roll, and hopefully for me, in the Lakers favor.

5. A lot can change in a year. Just ask Paul George, who was traded to the Thunder before free agency, and then instead of flying home to L.A., shocked the NBA by signing a long-term deal in OKC. Acquiring Davis without a guarantee of an extension would be a gamble, but since when has Ainge been afraid to gamble? He sold Kevin Garnett, and he surely believes he can sell Davis, too.

And a lot of people are using this as an example, when they should be viewing it as an exception. Do you think Kawhi is staying in Toronto? I'll bet you money he won't.

Lakers' are offering up a bunch of guys I wouldn't pay eventually.

Is Ingram going to want max in a couple of years? Yuck.

Ball? Ew.

Kuzma. Nice story. Give him a mid level and call it a day.

Zion, Tatum, etc. are real assets.

Lakers a pile of crap.

Ball? Ew.

Lakers a pile of crap.

Would actually love to see Ball and Ingram under Brad Stevens. Pretty sure the kids would be looking a lot better. Luke is a shitty coach who has zero development skills.

LeCramps should have just signed with New Orleans from the start and then he’d be a top 4 seed in the West right now minus all the drama.

Dude is the biggest narcissist in the league by a mile.

LeCramps should have just signed with New Orleans from the start and then he’d be a top 4 seed in the West right now minus all the drama.

Dude is the biggest narcissist in the league by a mile.

A legacy of leaving his teams in shambles. Cavs x2 and Heat. And a coach's worst nightmare.

Big reason why he's not even in the conversation anymore.

A legacy of leaving his teams in shambles. Cavs x2 and Heat. And a coach's worst nightmare.

Big reason why he's not even in the conversation anymore.

Dude just a spoilt brat that's used to getting what he wants.

Doesn't care what mess he creates doing so.

Guy gonna fuck up multiple franchises on his quest to chase MJ's ghost.

The recent 'ship he won with the Crabs has a Stern-like stink all over it.

Dubs laughing at this fool.

All the humanitarian shit he does just masks what a real snake he actually is, dude plays us like a fiddle.

KD was right when he said Cramps was toxic.

Although I'm still cringing from watching draft night when I was about the only person in this city that wanted Luka but knew what was coming, buncha scrub UA fans creaming themselves with the pick

Imagining Dell Demp's face when he shows up to collect on Tatum and Ainge flips him the bird while trying to shove Hayward down his mouth.

DysBxsMUUAAvZmR.jpg

Ball? Ew.

Lakers a pile of crap.
Exactly

Timimg couldnt be worse

Demps blows

EVERYONE knew this was coming....do it last year

Do NOT be held hostage for a pile of steaming SHIT

Back