Texas making some off-season noise...

SHSUHorn

Thief
Since there are so many of us on this board it deserves its own thread.

Applewhite to Texas is a done deal. He will be co-OC. This is such a great move for the Horns since most of us can't stand Greg Davis anyway.

The Will Muschamp hire is even bigger news on the defenisive side of the ball since Texas was just awful with Akina calling the plays this past season.

With Charles bolting for the NFL, Texas now leads slightly over Colorado for the best RB in the country Darrell Scott.

The 2009 class in Texas for HS football is probably the deepest its been in over a decade and the first JR day after signing day is coming up Feb. 10th. Texas leads with a majority of the top players from this class.

Very, very interesting off-season for Texas coming up...

Good info, Horn.

I was actually chatting with Gatewood (?), who posts over at Hornfans, at the Holiday Bowl. He was one of the equipment managers during the VY years and still is very close with the team.

His take was Applewhite coming to Texas as OC would be a bad deal. He's not ready yet and as much as most fans love him, he would be a disaster right now. Fans would turn on him and he'd be remembered as a fan favorite as a player but a bad coach.

But Applewhite to Texas as co-OC and learning under GD I think would be a good thing. He'd be a running back coach, right? Give him a couple of years and allow him to develop as on OC.

I love Muchchamp as a hire. Best one of the offseason so far. Keep hearing these rumors about HC in waiting, but we'll see.

D Scott would be nice, but I'm not counting on it.

Good to know about the 2009 class. Have to keep an eye on that.

I am hearing Scott to Colorado is basically a done deal.

Wasn't Applewhite already your offensive coordinator at one point? I think I am confusing him with someone..I know he was the qb at one time but I thought he was qb coach or coordinator at one point as well?

Hunt--Major is OC at Bama right now. I would be surprised if he doesn't come to Texas. He grew up a Bama fan but working under Saban's coaching staff, he's not having a nice fan. He apparently like Saban, but he has to defer to the Bama OL coach on some things and doesn't have autonomy when calling plays.

If he comes to Texas it is to replace GD in 2010 after his contract is up.

As far as Darrell Scott goes, I hear it's between Texas and CU right now. No clear indication.

Honestly, I don't know how good D. Scott is. He didn't have a great Army game. And Texas has a bunch of 4 star RB recruits coming in.

I'd like to have D. Scott just to have a recruiting coup from CA. But really how much of an improvement would it be from our current recruits?

thanks RJ..I just thought Applewhite started his career at Texas, before he took bama job.

Scott is good...but u guys are loaded anyways.

congrats longhorn faithful! muschamp is a hell of a coach, and i wish he never would have left lsu... great hire in austin

Applewhite official now. Making the move on D. Scott:

Applewhite accepts job

By Kirk Bohls | Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:32 AM
Major Applewhite has accepted a job as Texas running backs coach and will be introduced as Mack Brown’s newest assistant, perhaps as soon as Thursday morning, a source familiar with the negotiations said Wednesday morning.
“It’s all good,” the source said. “Major feels very relieved and excited. If things work out, Major may coach here the rest of his life. He considers this place his home.”
No announcement of Applewhite’s hiring can come before 5 p.m. today because of job-posting rules.
Applewhite had breakfast with Texas school officials Wednesday morning after dining on chicken at the home of Mack and Sally Brown Tuesday night. The two coaches chatted about football philosophy, recruiting and other facets of the job. “I don’t think there was a helluva lot of interviewing going on. It was well-assumed he was taking the job long before then.”
Applewhite has turned to calling Alabama recruits to tell them about his new job. One source said Applewhite would probably go to California next week to visit with elite running back Darrell Scott.

Applewhite will probably study under Davis for a year or two before taking over. The offense you saw at Bama was not the offense he ran at Rice which put up huge points and yards with a team that was running the wishbone the year before.

Scott was pretty much a CU lock untill Charles left early. He's been on record as saying recenlty that Texas now has the slight lead. He's a bigtime stud and will get alot of carries early and probably starting by midseason if he can beat out Vondrell Mcgee. His highlight reel has stud written all over it and why he's the #1 RB in the country.

The 2009 class is going to be Brown's best ever I believe when its all said and done.

2009 class best ever? Says alot since 2001 (?) was his best ever (or was it 2002)?

MNC in 2012 and/or 2013 if that is the case.

hey horn or any texas peeps...u guys heard of Russell Shepard? he is a 5 star out of Cypress Ridge in Houston..has texas offered him? kid looks like the truth...videos are sick.

hey horn or any texas peeps...u guys heard of Russell Shepard? he is a 5 star out of Cypress Ridge in Houston..has texas offered him? kid looks like the truth...videos are sick.

As far as I know he has 4 offers so far...Texas A&M, Alabama, Arkansas, and Florida. But many, many more will come...ranked #4 by Rivals for 2009

I've read 16, but none from Texas...5 star QB, #1 in state..I'm sure horn has seen him play being in Houston...He is going to a few junior days as well...including Texas I believe...reminds me of pat white running the ball...got a little percy harvin in him too.

thx gg.

Sheppard is Texas' to lose. The sole reason he listed Alabama was due to major applewhite. Problem is, Texas is hot on the heels of the best QB in the nation in 2008 Garret Gilbert who is more of a dropback passer but can still scoot when need be. He's from the Austin area by the way.

There's a solid chance Texas gets both if they can assure Sheppard he'll get a shot at QB. Remember Texas didn't take a QB in 2007.

Shepard is committing to Texas on Feb 10th at the first JR day. Some believe Gilbert will too which will make things very interesting.

Gilbert is the best pure passer to come out the state in years and that's better then Mallet, Mccoy, Flynn, Stafford, Daniels, etc.

The question is does Texas want a drop back passer or the dual threat monster in Shepard who will probably be the top dual threat QB in the country.

DT Jamarkus Mcfarland the #2 player in the country accoriding to Rivals will probably committ to Texas as well.

rj, It was the 2002 class with VY. And yes I believe this class will be better. Much better.

Here's a list of the Texas junior day attendees. If Texas lands these kids, and they have a great shot at all but Loston, their class will indeed be better than the 2002 haul.

February 10th

QB - Garrett Gilbert - Austin Lake Travis
QB - Russell Shepard - Houston Cy Ridge
RB - Chris Whaley - Madisonville
WR - Greg Timmons - Aldine Eisenhower
OL - Mason Walters - Frenship
OL - Garrett Porter - Odessa Permian
OL - Thomas Ashcraft - Cedar Hill
OL - Paden Kelley - Austin Lake Travis
DT - Jamarkus McFarland - Lufkin
DB - Marcus Davis - Houston Clear Lake
DB - Craig Loston - Aldine Eisenhower
Ath - Dexter Pratt - Navasota

February 23rd

QB - Casey Pachall - Brownwood
RB - Ryan Swope - Austin Westlake
OL - Joel Gray - Lewisville Hebron
DL - Randall Dent - SGP
LB - Kerry Hyder - Austin LBJ
LB - Chris McAllister - Converse Judson
CB - Kenny Vaccaro - Brownwood
DB - Daniel Cobb - Killeen Ellison

Note: Pflugerville defensive end Alex Okafor is coming to one of the Junior Days, but he wasn’t sure on which date he’s scheduled.

Applewhite was in the wrong situation at Bama, and I'm glad to see him go at this point. Apparently there was a lot of inter coach bickering and he was involved. you just can't have that.

Applewhite was in the wrong situation at Bama, and I'm glad to see him go at this point. Apparently there was a lot of inter coach bickering and he was involved. you just can't have that.

Yep, and Joe Pendry was right in the middle of that. I think his hiring along with taking the Dolphins job will go down as Saban's biggest mistakes.

Pendry is an ass and very hard to work with. I know the Texan players couldn't stand him when he was here.

At Bama he was responsible for the gameplanning and Major did the playcalling. They butted heads because Pendry was in Saban ear about Applewhite trying to open things up to much.

The offense at Bama was nowhere close to the one Major ran at Rice.

Pendry is an ass and very hard to work with. I know the Texan players couldn't stand him when he was here.

At Bama he was responsible for the gameplanning and Major did the playcalling. They butted heads because Pendry was in Saban ear about Applewhite trying to open things up to much.

There it is.

Dude, we need to get together and drink a beer. I'm in Spring, we could swap stories. My wife thinks I'm borderline obsessive about recruiting. Glad to see someone else is like that on this site.

UCLA tried to make a late run at Scott but it looks like u were right SHSU, he's settled on Texas.

not sure the source is reliable, here is the post...

"I know there are some holding out hope that RN will steal him in the last minute. Just spoke to a friend who had DS in his house this week and let's just say that he is 100% Texas with Colorado a distant 2nd so what was reported from his trip in early January in right on the button. He did said UCLA was right there. I am sure he is going to a school where he can get in with 100% certainty."

Texas got a good one.

Yeah seems all reports are reporting Scott to Texas. The CU fans are going apeshit and are accussing Texas of cheating.

I forgot how much better it is to play in Boulder right now so obviously Texas had to cheat to beat out the Buffs.

texasfight you must also be an Orangebloods member. I know who you are on the site SHSU. Looks great for us with DS. Love how CU talks about how we must be cheating and talks about how we always cheat. How soon they forgot the Gary Barnett mess.

exactly what happened. Here's to hoping that Pendry and McElwain get along. if not, purge pendry :\

exactly what happened. Here's to hoping that Pendry and McElwain get along. if not, purge pendry :\

He's alot like the old Tom Coughlin. Old school ways and dinosaur game plans. Players thought he was a dick and he never gave them respect.

Can't do that to today's spoiled athletes.

mack making a last minute push for mcguffie according to gbw.

Hunt, I think you mean Texas A&M. UT has never looked one way at Mcguffie. He was probably the #6-#7 RB on their board.

He will do well in RR scheme though for you guys.

bro...its in beaver's blog as of 10pm tonight, mack visited mcguffie's school and making a last minute push.

texas am is out of it.

Whats the link? I want to check it out. Could be true since Scott seems to have swayed back to CU because of momma.

interesting read on how Scott came to his decision.

basically, applewhite to RB coach was the reason he went to CU.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/sports/ncaafootball/07preps.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

in case it requires a login:

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> A Prize Recruit’s Thinking Cap </nyt_headline>

darrellscott.600.jpg
Marissa Roth for the New York Times

Darrell Scott, one of the top college football prospects in the country, and his mother, Alexis Scott, considered the pros and cons of different schools. More Photos >

ANAHEIM, Calif. — In a nearly empty ESPN Zone restaurant here Wednesday morning, Darrell Scott, who is considered the nation’s top high school running back, ended the recruiting drama that had gathered for months around his college choice.

He dressed in a three-piece, single-breasted, light-brown suit with a pale-blue shirt that he purchased Saturday. He wore diamond stud earrings, and he put on the cap of his chosen team, the University of Colorado.
“It’s a great fit,” he said. “I’m excited to be a Buff.”

The decision to play for the Buffaloes did not come easily. Although Scott announced it Wednesday morning as part of national signing day, his choice had come a day and a half earlier during a grueling discussion at a dining room table in his family’s town house in Oxnard, Calif.

The interest in his recruitment was so intense that he did not attend his classes at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura on Tuesday to avoid reporters.

“I’m relieved,” he said more than an hour after faxing his letter of intent to Colorado. “Now I understand what people talk about. It really gets intense at the end.”

Scott gave The New York Times a look at a recruit’s thought process by inviting a reporter to witness his final private discussion about the programs seeking his services: Colorado, Texas, U.C.L.A. and Louisiana State. The 75-minute conversation in the town house included an assessment of the teams, the pleading of a Texas recruiter, the elation of a Colorado coach and a surprise text message from a star quarterback.

Scott is viewed as a recruiting prize. At 6 feet 2 inches and 215 pounds, he has been clocked at 4.4 seconds for the 40-yard dash. He rushed for 2,443 yards and 33 touchdowns on just 275 carries this season. His decision gives Colorado Coach Dan Hawkins a signature recruit to continue building around. In two seasons at Colorado, Hawkins has worked to overcome scars left by past off-field scandals.

Alexis Scott sat down with her son at 7 p.m. Monday. She held four 3-by-5 note cards and a lime green ink pen as a purple candle flickered on the table. She wrote Texas, Colorado, U.C.L.A. and Louisiana State on the cards.

“We’ll do the pros and cons of each school, and then we’ll go from there,” Scott told his mother.

In the minds of many, Texas was the favorite. Scott had made official visits only to Texas and Colorado, and he had privately committed to the Longhorns two weeks ago.

The discussion started with Louisiana State. He cited Coach Les Miles, the running backs coach Larry Porter and last month’s national championship as positives. But he said the Tigers had not spent enough time recruiting him. Scott also worried about the potential culture shock of moving to Baton Rouge. After two minutes, he eliminated L.S.U. from consideration.
Scott then focused on Texas.

“I like the area,” he said. “I like the atmosphere, the fans, everything. The coaching staff.”

But both mother and son also had concerns.

On Jan. 9, the Texas running backs coach, Ken Rucker, became the team’s director of high school relations and player development. He had 21 years of experience as a running backs coach in college. Three weeks before signing day, Major Applewhite, a former Longhorns quarterback, was hired as the new assistant head coach and running backs coach. He had been Alabama’s offensive coordinator.

Although Scott had been recruited by Bobby Kennedy, the Texas wide receivers coach, he told his mother that the change of running backs coaches worried him. He said he had made his private commitment without considering the potential impact of the change.

“I was just thinking about other things,” he said Wednesday. “But the more time I thought about it, the more it scared me.”

Scott pressed on, mentioning the Longhorns’ commitment to running the ball. He spoke fondly of Coach Mack Brown. He cited the program’s national prominence.

His mother then asked him about U.C.L.A., the only local program under consideration. She said Scott had been somewhat impressed with the university, which hired Coach Rick Neuheisel in late December.

“But there’s no time,” Scott said. “I don’t know any of them. Mom, there’s two days. Come on. It’s a little bit too late.”

Conversation turned to Colorado. Scott mentioned that he had a two-year relationship with the team’s running backs coach, Darian Hagan. He also said his uncle, the rising sophomore wide receiver Josh Smith, played for the Buffaloes. This caused Scott’s mother to raise her eyebrows.

“I know, but it’s a big thing,” Scott said. “I mean, family comes first.”
Soon his mother’s cellphone rang. It was Kennedy calling from Texas. Scott told him he would call back.

His mother then asked him about Hawkins, Colorado’s innovative head coach.

“He’s a good man,” Scott said. “I don’t know how to put him into words. He has a vision for that school.”

They shared a concern about Colorado’s weather, but Scott assured his mother that the Buffaloes had an indoor practice facility. He cited the rush-oriented offense and the depth chart, which appears to give him a chance to play as a freshman.

After 15 minutes, Scott declared that Texas and Colorado were his finalists. He revisited his concern about Applewhite’s experience with running backs and said he did not want to attend a university where he did not know the position coach.

“I do need to learn from somebody,” Scott said. “I do need to know how to actually do footwork and everything.”

When the starting Texas tailback Jamaal Charles declared for the N.F.L. draft on Jan. 2, Scott said he was “locked” to play for the Longhorns. But that began to change even though Kennedy and Rucker visited later in January and informed him of the staff change.

Alexis Scott acknowledged that the move had significantly hurt the

program’s standing with her son. Still, she asked him if he thought it was a risk to attend Colorado, which went 6-7 last season. After nearly 25 minutes, Scott told her that Colorado was his leader. Less than two minutes later, he said he had decided.

“I want to be part of a team going back to glory,” he said.
Scott called Hagan. Scott’s girlfriend, Brooke Calcagno, who had been sitting in the living room without saying a word during the discussion, asked him to put the call on speakerphone.

When Hagan answered, Scott delivered his news: “Yeah, it’s official. D-Scott is a Buff.”

Hagan paused and replied, “Hey, hey.” He added: “I pictured this, man. Glad you’re in the family.”

Scott then called Hawkins, who did not answer, before calling Kennedy and sharing his decision. As they talked for 25 minutes, Scott twirled a business card from Kennedy while Kennedy tried to sway him.

Kennedy reminded Scott that Applewhite had called him but that Scott had not returned the calls.

Kennedy said Texas would call more running plays out of the I-formation and that Scott could win the Heisman Trophy. Kennedy implored Scott to trust him and encouraged him to put his faith in his decision with God.
When Scott eventually said he was no longer leaning toward Texas because of the coaching change, Kennedy said he was disappointed and baffled.
“Texas isn’t the spot for me because of that move,” Scott said. “That’s it.”
The words seemed to leave Kennedy speechless.

“All right, Coach,” Scott said. “I’m sorry.”

After Scott hung up, his mother asked again if he was sure about Colorado.

“Yeah,” he said. “That was pretty tough, Mom.”

Five minutes later, Scott talked to Hawkins. He told his new coach, “Darrell is a Buff.”

Hawkins replied, “Are you sure?”

Scott answered, “100 percent sure.”

The drama did not end there.

Later Monday night, Scott received a text message from Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez saying, “Hey, give me a call A.S.A.P.” Scott did not respond.

On Tuesday, Kennedy called Scott, but he did not answer. Scott did, however, return a telephone call from Texas tight end Blaine Irby, a former teammate at St. Bonaventure.

Rumors circulated Wednesday morning that Scott had picked Colorado because his mother was accepting a bank job there. Alexis Scott, who manages an obstetrics and gynecology practice, said: “That’s crazy. I’ve never even worked at a bank.”

Scott said he doubted his mother would move to Colorado.

Less than an hour before his announcement, he received another text message, from Texas quarterback Colt McCoy. It said: “Call or text me, man. It’s Colt.”

It was further proof that recruiting does not end until a player picks a cap.

That article is complete bullshit. That is a fabricated story for Scott's reason not to choose Texas.

Scott already knew about the health of Rucker and Rucker is still employed by Texas as a front office guy to handle the relationships of HS coaches and Texas. He actually would have more time to spend with Scott in this new role.

Also Scott committed to the Texas coaches on Mack Brown's inhome visit. Applewhite was with Brown at this inhome and Scott committed there.

There is alot of smoke going on because Scott switched his committment 24 hours before. The Dallas Morning News is all over this story and sniffing pretty hard as some of Scott's HS coaches are probably embarrassed about what has transpired.

Basically the grumblings are Scott's mom was offered a high level banking position that is going to quadruple her current living situation and finances.

In an interview Wednesday with The Dallas Morning News, Roger Sonsini, the recruiting coordinator for St. Bonaventure High School, questioned Scott's decision to choose Colorado.

"Colorado came in on Friday and said and did something and offered something that Darrell and his mom couldn't pass up," Sonsini said.

Sonsini refused to say what was offered. The Times report said that rumors of a bank job for Alexis Scott, Darrell's mother, had surfaced.

Also the NCAA and Big 12 will be looking into this and since their are tons of info and articles coming out and now that DS is signed CU probably won't give him anything in fear of getting caught.

Which means Scott will have to freeze his ass of in Boulder, probably have a 6-7 win season for 3 years and maybe play in the insight bowl.

He also has to face a Texas team twice that has scoreboard right now of the 70-3 ass whipping.

And yes I'm a pissed off Texas fan about this.

On a side note Texas did get its first committ for 2009 in the current #12 player in the nation and #2 drop back passer in the country behind Barkley in Garrett Gilbert. He will probably move up more before the year is over.

Gilbert might be the best pure passing QB to come out of the state in a very, very long time.

Yes that article was total BS. Such a staged conversation and made up excuse for purposes of the article. The whole DS saga yesterday wanted to make me vomit. If you believe everything you read on the internet heres what somebody posted on the DMN HS blog:

"My step sister is Josh Smith's girlfriend. Josh Smith is Darrell Scott's uncle & Darrell Scott's mother's brother. He's a freshman WR at CU. Per her {sic}, Darrell's mom was offered a great job at a bank in Boulder by a huge CU fan as an enticement to get Darrell to come to CU. My step-sister didn't know what kind of $$$ the job pays, but Josh told her it was a huge increase over her current job. She apparently still has to "interview", but the job was promised to her should Darrell come to CU. Josh had told her that Darrell apparently told his recruiter at Texas and their head coach that he was Texas bound as recently as Saturday afternoon. The job offer was fully extended on Sunday, after being discussed prior to the CU coaches visiting Darrell in CA last Thursday or Friday. Darrell's mom then cut off all communication w/ Texas and had Darrell call Texas Monday evening to tell them he'd changed his mind. I asked my step sister how any of this could be legal, but she said that Josh had said that it was all perfectly legal b/c none of the promises/offers came directly from the CU staff. They were apparently aware of the offers though. She also said that Josh had said that Darrell was pretty sold on Texas, but a lot of questions were brought up by the CU staff regarding some new guy [Major Applewhite] they hired at Texas to coach running backs. Apparently, he's a real sleazy guy, and CU explained that's why he'd been at 4 schools in 4 years as a coach. Take it for what it's worth, but that's what my step-sister Ashley told me yesterday."

That goes along with the other innuendo and hints that have been dropped about CU's actions over the last week. Basically Darian Hagan is a piece of trash and completely slammed Major while talking to DS and his mom. His mom bought into it because she has wanted him to go to CU all along. Mack has been quoted by several people that the next time we're up 70-3 on CU we're not takin the foot off the gas. I fucking hate that program. You can replace the whole coaching staff but the program will always be dirty.

Got this post off Orangebloods:

Was listening to a sports talk show here in East Texas and Stephen Hicks(CU Commit) was asked if he knew Scott yet and about his decision. He replied that he knew Scott well. They met on a recruiting visit, hit it off, exchanged phone numbers and kept in touch. He said that Scott had been telling him all along he was going to CU.

He told him you will hear about me going to Texas but don't believe it. It is all a part of the game. Everyone thinks I would go to CU because of my uncle and so He is creating a diversion by leaking out that Texas is where he is going. In the end it will still end up CU.

The interviewer familiar with the Scott saga was shocked and asked him if he understood him right. This was all planned out and Hicks responded by saying YES. Scott was never going to UT, it was always CU and this made for better drama in the documentary as well.

You can probably find a link to the interview at www.ktbb.com or www.smoaky.com

If true, this is UNREAL!

Got this post off Orangebloods:

Was listening to a sports talk show here in East Texas and Stephen Hicks(CU Commit) was asked if he knew Scott yet and about his decision. He replied that he knew Scott well. They met on a recruiting visit, hit it off, exchanged phone numbers and kept in touch. He said that Scott had been telling him all along he was going to CU.

He told him you will hear about me going to Texas but don't believe it. It is all a part of the game. Everyone thinks I would go to CU because of my uncle and so He is creating a diversion by leaking out that Texas is where he is going. In the end it will still end up CU.

The interviewer familiar with the Scott saga was shocked and asked him if he understood him right. This was all planned out and Hicks responded by saying YES. Scott was never going to UT, it was always CU and this made for better drama in the documentary as well.

You can probably find a link to the interview at www.ktbb.com or www.smoaky.com

If true, this is UNREAL!
Its not exactly true. Read further down in that thread. Hicks didn't tell the whole story. Someone else knows Hicks personally and Hicks told him that DS told Hicks last week sorry but I'm going to UT.

Good. But I think the real reason he went to Boulder instead of going to the official home of '2nd in the Big 12 South' was because:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mF9jh4xALxE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mF9jh4xALxE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Good. But I think the real reason he went to Boulder instead of going to the official home of '2nd in the Big 12 South' was because:

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mF9jh4xALxE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>
Funny coming from a perennial bottom feeder in the big 12 that hasn't had a national championship since the advent of the forward pass.

so shepard was offered as a WR at texas jr. day? I heard he turned it down too?

Back