Texas making some off-season noise...

hunt, The Texas boards are in complete meltdown mode. All he wanted was a chance to play QB then if it didn't work he'd switch to WR. He would've committed on the spot.

Now were hearing Michigan is his leader. You guys are gonna shit your pants if he goes there.

Go look at his highlights videos. #4 player in the country right now according to Rivals.

Not sure what crack Mack was smoking on this one.

hunt, The Texas boards are in complete meltdown mode. All he wanted was a chance to play QB then if it didn't work he'd switch to WR. He would've committed on the spot.

Now were hearing Michigan is his leader. You guys are gonna shit your pants if he goes there.

Go look at his highlights videos. #4 player in the country right now according to Rivals.

Not sure what crack Mack was smoking on this one.
This would be awesome

Horn, gotta give Mack props for being honest though..u don't see enough of that nowadays..

I've seen the clips...he is good...no, he is damn good..excellent option read qb, at least in HS..haven't seen much of his arm though.

Home > Bevo Beat > Archives > 2008 > February > 10 > Entry
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE -->Shepard gets offer, won’t commit yet

By Alan Trubow | Sunday, February 10, 2008, 07:41 PM
Cypress Ridge quarterback Russell Shepard, the No. 3 recruit in the state for 2009 and a five-star athlete, said he did get an offer from the Longhorns on Sunday. But the 6-foot-2 athlete who runs a legitimate 4.4 second 40-yard dash didn’t commit.
The Longhorns already have a quarterback commit in five-star signal caller Garrett Gilbert, who led Lake Travis to the Class 4A Division I state championship. Gilbert’s commit changed things for Shepard
“Coach (Mack) Brown said Russell, ‘We really love you and we want to go to school here, but it’s a weird situation with all the quarterbacks,’” Shepard said. “He let me know it’s kind of weird bringing in two highly rated quarterbacks.”
Shepard told Brown that all he wanted was a chance compete for the job. Nothing more.
“I said that really all I wanted was a shot,” he said. “Honestly, if I get a shot at quarterback and I don’t win the job, I’ll move to another position. I have no problem being an All-American wide receiver or an All-American defensive back. I just want a chance to play quarterback.”
Shepard said the situation at Texas opens up his recruitment for other suitors.
“I would say Texas is still up there, but Michigan is really at the top of my list, especially if they don’t get (2008 top recruit) Terrelle Pryor,” he said. “I feel like I could go there and play right away. I’m also looking at Florida and LSU. Both of those schools have pretty good depth-chart situations for me.”
Shepard added that the Longhorns weren’t out of the race and he might be returning to Austin for the Feb. 23 Junior Days. Shepard added that he was in the same situation as John Chiles, and the Longhorns are allowing Chiles to play quarterback.
“Actually, I’m different than John because I’m willing to play another position,” he said. “All I want is a shot, a real shot.”

I want to puke reading that article. Is Mack scared of another Simms/Applewhite fiasco?

Give the kid his damn shot and if he doesn't make it he switches positions.

Or it could be that Gilbert was promised to be the only QB taken by Texas.

I want to puke reading that article. Is Mack scared of another Simms/Applewhite fiasco?

Give the kid his damn shot and if he doesn't make it he switches positions.

Or it could be that Gilbert was promised to be the only QB taken by Texas.

that's my guess...but i'm no insider.

sounds like shepard loves texas...mack has another junior day to work him in a few weeeks right?

RS said he was gonna come back on the junior day on the 23rd or go to LSU that weekend. I think SHSUHorn is oversimplifying the situation though and its not like RS has turned us down. He just wasn't ready to commit on the terms that were laid out. UT just feels that when he gets on campus there will be a lot of QBs on the roster and in order to get RS on the field quicker it would have to be at WR. However, RS even said himself (and probably was told by the UT coaches) that he'll wait until after the spring and wait how things shake out with the QB depth. There are a couple transfers that may be in the works if guys don't like where they stand on the depth chart and that includes John Chiles. If this happens then it opens up space for RS to compete at QB. Otherwise, it would be wasting his time to let him try QB for a year. Get him on the field ASAP at WR. I have a feeling RS will be a UT commit before its all said and done and that will be huge considering he owns Houston.

Yep, word I'm hearing is he was told to chill and we'd bring him in after Spring ball. There's a chance Chiles or Kinne will transfer, or Chiles would be moved to another position before the summer. Once these politics are played out, RS will commit.

By the way, Shepard's family loves Texas and Major Applewhite. They want to watch him play. They don't want to go out of state and they don't think he'd fit in at TAMU. Texas is a huge leader despite what the public boards are saying.

Mack and the staff know Shepard is a pied-piper here in Houston and holds the key to players in the 2009 class and beyond. His cousin Craig Loston is a badass safety at Eisenhower and Loston's teammate Greg Timmons, a wideout, has already committed to Texas. If Texas lands Shepard they increase their chances with Loston. He's an evil motherfucker at safety.

It's all good.

Still don't understand why Loston won't even look Texas' way.

So the first JR day is wrapped up and Texas grabbed the #1 QB, #1 WR, #1 RB, #1 CB, #2-#4 OL ranked recruits in the state of Texas.

Great start. Need to reel in Mcfarland and Shepard.

Nothing official till signing day ladies, cant believe you havent figured that one out cough*scott*cough. But on a serious note Horn, my lil sis whos graduating in June just told me today that she will be attending......UT. I might have to venture out there to check out some ass on of these falls when it aint so damn hot. But Id rather die that wear orange, but Ill hit a young'n wearin orange.....no doubt.

xXx

jester, You'll definitley enjoy your time with sis especially if she joins a sorority.

In regards to the early committs Mack hardly ever loses any of them unless they are out of state.

Nothing official till signing day ladies, cant believe you havent figured that one out cough*scott*cough. But on a serious note Horn, my lil sis whos graduating in June just told me today that she will be attending......UT. I might have to venture out there to check out some ass on of these falls when it aint so damn hot. But Id rather die that wear orange, but Ill hit a young'n wearin orange.....no doubt.

xXx
We don't lose early commits hardly. Thats why we want guys to commit early and why those guys want to commit early... cuz they want to be play at Texas. I'm certainly not worried about losing any of them to Aggy thats for sure.

Still don't understand why Loston won't even look Texas' way.

So the first JR day is wrapped up and Texas grabbed the #1 QB, #1 WR, #1 RB, #1 CB, #2-#4 OL ranked recruits in the state of Texas.

Great start. Need to reel in Mcfarland and Shepard.
Mcfarland will be in the bag in just a matter of a time.

So should Walters. Which would give the Horns the #1-#4 OL in the state and the #1 DT in the country.

So much for Sherman using that NFL background to reel in recruits.

Our Oline will be Ashcraft, Porter, Walters and Kelley. That's just sick. This class will be better than the VY 2002 class. Mark it down. Not as many grade or character risks in this class, and just as much talent.

Back